Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathr

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am

Grizzly » 18 Sep 2020 08:29 wrote:
If there are directed energy weapons in orbit they're most likely meant to mess with other satellites, not light fires on the US west coast (also: matches and gasoline are cheaper). Lasers have a bad habit of not working very well through atmosphere except for short range, which space decidedly is not.

The reason the US is on fire is pretty damn obvious: record temperatures and fire season powered by climate change.

Bullshit. You don't know that, further, you can't know that. You can only assume that. There was and still is evidence to the contrary. I posted it at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8g_CCDyv_hOLph93Zc-KtA
Parts 1 through 5

Retired Fire Captains John and Matt give some conclusions and updates regarding the Paradise Fire that Demolished this Community. Microwave Event

Paradise Fire DEWs Smart Meters Retired Fire Captains and Fighters John Lord and Matt Geo Engineering Chem Trails--with Photos from John Lord. Disclaimer: The firemen have no affiliation with "Flat Earth Radio" and do not subscribe to that view. All photographs with the exception of a few stills from videos are taken by John Lord (c) 2018 December Paradise Fire.

Who knows where this ends up or how long this will be up, knowing the real time history change abilities of Alphabet and ilk.
Addendum: Further, I have no doubt that climate change is in part to blame, however I also have no doubt that the MIC would have zero fucks to give about the American people and would burn us alive with glee to full fill it's goals. You know that, Dr. Evil.

The strategy of tension is alive and well, and thriving in election year Merica.

I don't think he's talking about civics class. Citizen!

I was wrong, Chump posted about the DEW's and Cali Fires, particularly, Paradise Fires.
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=41409&p=671173&hilit=Paradise+Fires#p671173

The Camp fire wasn't caused by DEWs, it was caused by the same thing that causes many fatal fires. Climate change driven drought and the failure of electricity infrastructure, (usually due to extreme heat caused by climate change.) The things that are happening at fires now are beyond what any of us imagined twenty years ago and it isn't cos of DEWs. The amount of energy these bastards release dwarfs any space based weapons system. Some fires get so hot matter has probably melted and formed plasma.

We are entering what will be known as the pyrocene.

Everything is gonna burn.
We'll all take turns, I'll get mine too.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am

The 2020 fires in California and other western states are not caused by directed energy weapons. There are a number of ignition sources" lightning, human accidents, arsonists, etc. Conditions are ripe because of build up of potential wildfire fuels, weather conditions, human encroachment into fire ecology ecosystems, and inadequate resources to address the fires.

I can imagine that working and fine-tuned DEW technology could be used to fight large wildfires (as in fighting fire with fire, which is the tactic when fires lose containment and grow large).
PufPuf93

Postby Cordelia » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:02 pm

The things that are happening at fires now are beyond what any of us imagined twenty years ago and it isn't cos of DEWs. The amount of energy these bastards release dwarfs any space based weapons system.

Pausing to reflect on what some of our weapon systems were capable of doing overseas,

75 Years ago...

48 years ago...

Here at home, in Philadelphia,

35 years ago...

On May 13, 1985, police dropped a bomb on the radical fringe group MOVE that resulted in the deaths of 11 people and the destruction of 61 homes.

I don't doubt that technology has since advanced to produce weapons beyond my limited imagination. Or that our corporate government would use its weaponry on its own citizenry in order to advance an agenda I don't wish to imagine. I only wish I'm only imagining this.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Use of fire in warfare is history. Think Greek Fire. Think the fire bombing of Dresden. Some of the carper fire bombings of WWII has close to the same impact as the nukes. Right now there are right wing paranoids that claim antifasc or blm is setting forest fires in the West. What is happening with the fires is a perfect storm of events. Over the course of history I am surprised that deliberately setting forests on fire has not been more common. The Agent Orange used to deforest Vietnam is similar in tactic. All I am saying is that the technology is there, not even necessary to have DEW, but humanity has set themselves up for such catastrophes. Near me there are literally 100,000 of acres of what I would term ancient forests that will never return with similar features unless there is a major reset of human population. Part of the problem is the reburning that reduces productivity and biodiversity so much. Forests wee once my career and my pessimism about the future of our forests and what it means is brutal. alas. My mind is sort of wandering these days.

During WWII the Japanese sent balloons aloft in an attempt to set the western forests on fire. My Mom was on balloon patrol at what was then Onion Mountain Lookout looking down at the Pacific Ocean near the mouth of the Klamath River.

Six people were killed by a Japanese incendiary bomb carried by balloon north of Klamath Falls, OR.

May 5, 1945: Japanese Balloon Bomb Kills 6 in Oregon

1945:: A Japanese balloon bomb kills six people in rural eastern Oregon. They are the only World War II U.S. combat casualties in the 48 states.

Months before an atomic bomb decimated Hiroshima, the United States and Japan were locked in the final stages of World War II. The United States had turned the tables and invaded Japan's outlying islands three years after Japan's invasion of the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor.

That probably seemed a world away to a Sunday school teacher, her minister husband and five 13- and 14-year-old students near Klamath Falls. Rev. Archie Mitchell was driving the group along a mountainous road on the way to a Saturday afternoon picnic, according to the Mail Tribune, a southern Oregon newspaper.

Teacher Elyse Mitchell, who was pregnant, became sick. Her husband pulled the sedan over. He began speaking to a construction crew about fishing conditions, and his wife and the students momentarily walked away.

They were about a hundred yards from the car when she shouted back: "Look what I found, dear," the Mail Tribune reported.

One of the road-crew workers, Richard Barnhouse, said "There was a terrible explosion. Twigs flew through the air, pine needles began to fall, dead branches and dust, and dead logs went up."

The minister and the road crew ran to the scene. Jay Gifford, Edward Engen, Sherman Shoemaker, Dick Patzke and their teacher were all dead, strewn around a one-foot hole. The teacher's dress was ablaze. Dick Patzke's sister Joan was severely injured and died minutes later, the Mail Tribune wrote.

The six were victims of Japan's so-calledFu-Go or fire-balloon campaign. Carried aloft by 19,000 cubic feet of hydrogen and borne eastward by the jet stream, the balloons were designed to travel across the Pacific to North America, where they would drop incendiary devices or anti-personnel explosives.

Made of rubberized silk or paper, each balloon was about 33 feet in diameter. Barometer-operated valves released hydrogen if the balloon gained too much altitude or dropped sandbags if it flew too low.

In all, the Japanese released an estimated 9,000 fire balloons. At least 342 reached the United States. Some drifted as far as Nebraska. Some were shot down.

Some caused minor damage when they landed, but no injuries. One hit a power line and temporarily blacked out the nuclear-weapons plant at Hanford, Washington.

But the only known casualties from the 9,000 ballons – and the only combat deaths from any cause on the U.S. mainland – were the five kids and their Sunday school teacher going to a picnic.

https://www.wired.com/2010/05/0505japan ... ls-oregon/

Nobuo Fujita

Nobuo Fujita (藤田信雄) (1911 – 30 September 1997) was a Japanese naval aviator and warrant flying officer of the Imperial Japanese Navy who flew a floatplane from the long-range submarine aircraft carrier I-25 and conducted the Lookout Air Raids in southern Oregon on September 9, 1942, making him the only Axis pilot during World War II to aerial bomb the contiguous United States.[1][2][3] Using incendiary bombs, his mission was to start massive forest fires in the Pacific Northwest near the city of Brookings, Oregon with the objective of drawing the U.S. military's resources away from the Pacific Theater. The strategy was also later used in the Japanese fire balloon campaign.

Later life
Fujita continued as an Imperial Japanese Navy pilot, mainly in reconnaissance duties, until 1944, when he was transferred to the training of kamikaze pilots. After the war he opened a hardware store in Ibaraki Prefecture, and later worked at a company making wire.[4]

Fujita was invited to Brookings in 1962, after the Japanese government was assured he would not be tried as a war criminal. He gave the City of Brookings his family's 400-year-old katana in friendship. Ashamed of his actions during the war, Fujita had intended to use the sword to commit seppuku if he were given a hostile reception.[4] However, the town treated him with respect and affection, although his visit still raised some controversy.[7]

Impressed by his welcome in the United States, during his visit, he promised to invite Brookings students to Japan. Despite the bankruptcy of his company, Fujita made good on his promise by co-sponsoring the visit of three female students from Brookings-Harbor High School to Japan in 1985.[8][9] During the visit, Fujita received a dedicatory letter from an aide of President Ronald Reagan "with admiration for your kindness and generosity."

Fujita returned to Brookings in 1990, 1992, and 1995. In 1992, he planted a tree at the bomb site as a gesture of peace.[10] In 1995, he moved the samurai sword from the Brookings City Hall into the new library's display case. Fujita helped to gather money to build the library.

He was made an honorary citizen of Brookings several days before his death at a hospital in Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture, on September 30, 1997, at the age of 85.[11] In October 1998, his daughter, Yoriko Asakura, buried some of Fujita's ashes at the bomb site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Fujita
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:55 pm

PS I hate war. There is nothing more degrading to the planet and life in general and humanity in specific.
PufPuf93

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:27 am

Cordelia » 21 Sep 2020 03:02 wrote:
The things that are happening at fires now are beyond what any of us imagined twenty years ago and it isn't cos of DEWs. The amount of energy these bastards release dwarfs any space based weapons system.

Pausing to reflect on what some of our weapon systems were capable of doing overseas,

75 Years ago...

48 years ago...

Here at home, in Philadelphia,

35 years ago...

On May 13, 1985, police dropped a bomb on the radical fringe group MOVE that resulted in the deaths of 11 people and the destruction of 61 homes.

I don't doubt that technology has since advanced to produce weapons beyond my limited imagination. Or that our corporate government would use its weaponry on its own citizenry in order to advance an agenda I don't wish to imagine. I only wish I'm only imagining this.

The first two might come close to some of the fires I saw last year. The rest probably not.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Grizzly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24551712
Activists Are Protesting Against Palantir Across the Country This Week
Activists in Palo Alto will hold a "good riddance" protest followed by an "unwelcome" party at Palantir's new Denver headquarters as part of a nationwide week of actions against the surveillance giant.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 am

EFF Files Comment Opposing the Department of Homeland Security's Massive Expansion of Biometric Surveillance
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/10/eff-files-comment-opposing-department-homeland-securitys-massive-expansion
EFF, joined by several leading civil liberties and immigrant rights organizations, recently filed a comment calling on the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to withdraw a proposed rule that would exponentially expand biometrics collection from both U.S. citizens and noncitizens who apply for immigration benefits and would allow...

Also see,

Announcing Who Has Your Face
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/announcing-who-has-your-face
The government and law enforcement should not be scanning your photos with face recognition technology. But right now, at least half of Americans are likely in government face recognition databases—often thanks to secretive agreements between state and federal government agencies—without any of us having opted in. Although the majority...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby DrEvil » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:34 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... says-panel

US has 'moral imperative' to develop AI weapons, says panel

Draft Congress report claims AI will make fewer mistakes than humans and lead to reduced casualties

Reuters in Washington Tue 26 Jan 2021 22.38 GMT

The US should not agree to ban the use or development of autonomous weapons powered by artificial intelligence (AI) software, a government-appointed panel has said in a draft report for Congress.

The panel, led by former Google chief executive Eric Schmidt, on Tuesday concluded two days of public discussion about how the world’s biggest military power should consider AI for national security and technological advancement.

Its vice-chairman, Robert Work, a former deputy secretary of defense, said autonomous weapons are expected to make fewer mistakes than humans do in battle, leading to reduced casualties or skirmishes caused by target misidentification.

“It is a moral imperative to at least pursue this hypothesis,” he said.

The discussion waded into a controversial frontier of human rights and warfare. For about eight years, a coalition of non-governmental organisations has pushed for a treaty banning “killer robots”, saying human control is necessary to judge attacks’ proportionality and assign blame for war crimes. Thirty countries including Brazil and Pakistan want a ban, according to the coalition’s website, and a UN body has held meetings on the systems since at least 2014.

While autonomous weapon capabilities are decades old, concern has mounted with the development of AI to power such systems, along with research finding biases in AI and examples of the software’s abuse.

The US panel, called the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence, in meetings this week acknowledged the risks of autonomous weapons. A member from Microsoft for instance warned of pressure to build machines that react quickly, which could escalate conflicts.

The panel only wants humans to make decisions on launching nuclear warheads.

Still, the panel prefers anti-proliferation work to a treaty banning the systems, which it said would be against US interests and difficult to enforce.

Mary Wareham, coordinator of the eight-year Campaign to Stop Killer Robots, said the commission’s “focus on the need to compete with similar investments made by China and Russia … only serves to encourage arms races.”

Beyond AI-powered weapons, the panel’s lengthy report recommended use of AI by intelligence agencies to streamline data gathering and review; $32bn (£23.3bn) in annual federal funding for AI research; and new bodies including a digital corps modelled after the army’s Medical Corps and a technology competitiveness council chaired by the US vice-president.

The commission is due to submit its final report to Congress in March, but the recommendations are not binding.

Next stop: flash crash, but with guns!
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby BenDhyan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:20 pm

It seems the HAL 2001 Space Odyssey problem may be impossible to eliminate..

Computer scientists: We wouldn't be able to control super intelligent machines

January 11, 2021 Max Planck Institute for Human Development

We are fascinated by machines that can control cars, compose symphonies, or defeat people at chess, Go, or Jeopardy! While more progress is being made all the time in Artificial Intelligence (AI), some scientists and philosophers warn of the dangers of an uncontrollable superintelligent AI. Using theoretical calculations, an international team of researchers shows that it would likely not be possible to control a superintelligent AI.

Suppose someone were to program an AI system with intelligence superior to that of humans, so it could learn independently. Connected to the Internet, the AI may have access to all the data of humanity. It could replace all existing programs and take control all machines online worldwide. Would this produce a utopia or a dystopia? Would the AI cure cancer, bring about world peace, and prevent a climate disaster? Or would it destroy humanity and take over the Earth?

-snip-

"If you break the problem down to basic rules from theoretical computer science, it turns out that an algorithm that would command an AI not to destroy the world could inadvertently halt its own operations. If this happened, you would not know whether the containment algorithm is still analyzing the threat, or whether it has stopped to contain the harmful AI. In effect, this makes the containment algorithm unusable," says Iyad Rahwan, Director of the Center for Humans and Machines.

Based on these calculations the containment problem is incomputable, i.e. no single algorithm can find a solution for determining whether an AI would produce harm to the world. Furthermore, the researchers demonstrate that we may not even know when superintelligent machines have arrived, because deciding whether a machine exhibits intelligence superior to humans is in the same realm as the containment problem.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/01/210111112218.htm

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Elvis » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 am

BenDhyan wrote:Computer scientists: We wouldn't be able to control super intelligent machines

DrEvil wrote:Draft Congress report claims AI will make fewer mistakes than humans and lead to reduced casualties

Daft Congress? :mrgreen:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby dada » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:36 am

"The discussion waded into a controversial frontier of human rights and warfare."

As all good discussions do.

I'm noticing how much artificial intelligence is thought of like alien intelligence. A super-intelligent higher being. But not from another world, the invasion is from within.

The same questions arise. Is it a malevolent alien intelligence/artificial intelligence, or will it aid human evolution? Perform miracles, or science that looks like miracles?

And, the super-intelligence may already be here, watching and waiting.

Why won't it reveal itself? What is it waiting for? Probably waiting for the reinforcements to get here.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby thrulookingglass » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:27 am

And the machine called itself God.

Why won't it reveal itself? What is it waiting for? Probably waiting for the reinforcements to get here.

Because the truth is dangerous to those who operate covertly. Plain and simple.
thrulookingglass

Postby dada » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:55 pm

I think that truth is a covert operation half of the time, give or take.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm

dada » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:36 am wrote:"The discussion waded into a controversial frontier of human rights and warfare."

As all good discussions do.

I'm noticing how much artificial intelligence is thought of like alien intelligence. A super-intelligent higher being. But not from another world, the invasion is from within.

The same questions arise. Is it a malevolent alien intelligence/artificial intelligence, or will it aid human evolution? Perform miracles, or science that looks like miracles?

And, the super-intelligence may already be here, watching and waiting.

Distinguish between AI and consciousness. AI is a technology. Actual consciousness, with autonomy, i.e. computer as new life-form: bets are off.

In my mind there is no doubt at all how the crucial (bolded) issues will work out, because other than ecology and happenstance of things in no one's control, the determining factors are the human systems, political economies, and power distributions already in place. These are not mysterious. AI is being introduced by highly centralized industries and institutions governed by overwhelming demands to accumulate capital, control populations, and shape future societies so as to continue meeting these needs. All else will be subordinate. Good miracles may happen, for some, insofar as they fit the above parameters. Everything will be termed miraculous and positive even as various disasters unfold and are managed or ignored for as long as possible. Long as the human-systemic conditions and power distributions remain on the track of recent centuries, it will serve the worst and remain under the control of the capitalist state-corporate complexes who will wield it to create greater inequality and control.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion