Why Do People Apologize For Russia?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Why Do People Apologize For Russia?

Postby peartreed » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 pm

As a sincere supporter of SLAD and her series of substantive and serious submissions to this cyberspace, I am appalled at the angry, aggressive and acrimonious adversaries admonishing her and the admirable additions she has amassed there for our edification, education and enlightenment.

Has empathy also fallen victim to the venal and vacuous vitriol vented by conniption, Sounder, Elvis and the other bellicose bullying belligerents beating up on her here? Do any of you remember attributes like kindness, consideration, gallantry, discretion or a modicum of manners? How about simple human decency?

The commonality of the contrarians in this conflict conveys a cult-like cruelty, immaturity and ignorance often evidenced in street gangs –especially those lacking the intellect to instead offer an impersonal argument or alternative view with substance and civility.

I’ve written off several other obvious political bots, addicted sadists and egregious idiots that pollute this place predictably with petty persecution of the more popular and prolific posters, but I’m still astounded at the a**holes attacking SLAD for sport.

Reverting to the thread topic, it’s as if the gulags unloaded their garbage on us all.
peartreed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby conniption » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

I've given it some thought, and while the edit function still functions maybe it's time to say good-bye to RI.

I'd also like to apologize for being a jerk.

Anyway, take care. Good luck and all that.

Terry

p.s.
This post was edited. Three times even. (I never know where to put the commas.)
Last edited by conniption on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
conniption

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby norton ash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Let SLAD work her side of the street investigating Russian collusion, and you lot can stay on your side. Maybe you'll find work as FOX news pundits. And of course it's only because we SO love Hillary and the DNC that we have this strange fixation on fake news reports of an appalling amount of international crime.

Bloodstained hands across the water is your cause, I guess. Hooray.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby DrEvil » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm continuously surprised by the number of people here who seem to fall into the trap of thinking USA = bad, ergo anyone who opposes them = good. It's binary thinking of the worst sort.

There's plenty of questionable stuff being reported about Russia, some of it outright false, but anyone who thinks they do not engage in information warfare against the West is at best naive.

Russia has the equivalent of a CIA-lifer as president. He's a macho asshole sucking up to the Orthodox church (and banning Jehova's Witnesses), homophobes (gay "propaganda" is illegal and books with LGBT content are censored or wrapped in plastic), racists (to be fair, Putin doesn't seem to be a racist himself, but Russians are pretty damn racist and he has to cater to them. If you're a refugee you can just forget going to Russia, and if you're black you've probably been physically assaulted) and wife-beaters (now legal as long as you're a first time offender and it didn't result in a hospital visit).

He's Trump with a brain and 80% approval ratings (why do you think Trump loves him so much? He's everything Trump wants to be), and that should scare you.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Sounder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 am

I'm continuously surprised by the number of people here who seem to fall into the trap of thinking USA = bad, ergo anyone who opposes them = good. It's binary thinking of the worst sort.

It's situational for me Dr. Evil. What is being done in Ukraine is offensive and Russia at least saved Crimea from the fate of Luhansk and Donetsk. Also, I hate the sin and not the sinner so that separation can be maintained between USA and those that would act in its name. I love the USA, there is far more inclusiveness here than in many parts of the world. Alas, when we sponsor head choppers in Syria, Philippines, Africa and god knows where else, we are doing nothing to promote inclusiveness. Shouting BINARY, BINARY will not cover over the misery, suffering and atrocities currently being meted out by peudo-empire.

There's plenty of questionable stuff being reported about Russia, some of it outright false, but anyone who thinks they do not engage in information warfare against the West is at best naive.

Sure they do, but this facebook thing has no meat on it given the billions spent 'influencing' presidential elections. I'm pretty sure that Russian 'information warfare' involves better chops than producing facebook ads.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby SonicG » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:56 am

whooooahhh I'm linking the evil despicable NYT...burning Chomsky and Herman right now...

But really, this a great story, and it least points the absolute shittiness of Breitbart which I sussed when he started as fuck the hollywood jewz or whatever it was originally called:
How Fake News Turned a Small Town Upside Down
At the height of the 2016 election, exaggerated reports of a juvenile sex crime brought a media maelstrom to Twin Falls — one the Idaho city still hasn’t recovered from.

[Just read it but the final quote is apt]
“There are a lot of people who feel like society is changing too quickly, like the community is changing too quickly,” he told me. “And who view other people not like them or who don’t speak their language as a threat or a sign that their culture is going to be weakened. And they want to do what they can to stop that.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/m ... 0&referer=

As I have always said, there is massive fear of unstoppable demographics...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Sounder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am wrote:

It's situational for me Dr. Evil. What is being done in Ukraine is offensive and Russia at least saved Crimea from the fate of Luhansk and Donetsk. Also, I hate the sin and not the sinner so that separation can be maintained between USA and those that would act in its name. I love the USA, there is far more inclusiveness here than in many parts of the world. Alas, when we sponsor head choppers in Syria, Philippines, Africa and god knows where else, we are doing nothing to promote inclusiveness. Shouting BINARY, BINARY will not cover over the misery, suffering and atrocities currently being meted out by peudo-empire.

Sure they do, but this facebook thing has no meat on it given the billions spent 'influencing' presidential elections. I'm pretty sure that Russian 'information warfare' involves better chops than producing facebook ads.

Something like half of all Americans get their news from Facebook, so spending $50K to target them instead of $50K on one late night spot on a major network seems like a pretty good deal to me. It doesn't have to be expensive to be effective, and the Facebook stuff is just one small part of Russia's strategy.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 pm

ПОД ЛОЖНЫМ ФЛАГОМ
Exclusive: Russians Impersonated Real American Muslims to Stir Chaos on Facebook and Instagram

Kremlin trolls stole the identity of an authentic U.S. Muslim organization—first to smear John McCain and Hillary Clinton, then to sing her praises.

BEN COLLINS
KEVIN POULSEN
SPENCER ACKERMAN
09.27.17 4:29 PM ET
The Facebook group United Muslims of America was neither united, Muslim, nor American.
Instead, sources familiar with the group tell The Daily Beast, it was an imposter account on the world’s largest social network that’s been traced back to the Russian government.
Using the account as a front to reach American Muslims and their allies, the Russians pushed memes that claimed Hillary Clinton admitted the U.S. “created, funded and armed” al-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State; claimed that John McCain was ISIS’ true founder; whitewashed blood-drenched dictator Moammar Gadhafi and praised him for not having a “Rothschild-owned central bank”; and falsely alleged Osama bin Laden was a “CIA agent.”

Sources confirmed that the imposter account bought Facebook advertisements to reach its target audience. It promoted political rallies aimed at Muslim audiences. And it used the Twitter account “muslims_in_usa” and the Instagram account “muslim_voice” to pass along inflammatory memes under cover of the UMA. The Twitter account has been suspended, and the account on Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, was shuttered at around the same time as the Facebook page.
The Kremlin-backed trolls did all this while simultaneously using other accounts to hawk virulently Islamophobic messages to right-wing audiences on Facebook, such as an August 2016 Twin Falls, Idaho rally demanding, “We must stop taking in Muslim refugees!” Taken together, the newest revelation of Russian propaganda on Facebook shows the sophistication of the Russian “active measures” campaign to influence the U.S. voting public.
“Russia knows no ends and no limits to which groups they would masquerade as to carry out their objectives,” Rep. Eric Swalwell, a Democrat on the House intelligence committee, told the Daily Beast.
Real Nonprofit, Hijacked by Real Trolls

Unlike other known accounts linked to the Russians, the United Muslims of America Facebook group was impersonating an actual organization. The real UMA is a California-based nonprofit that promotes interfaith dialogue and political participation. Though it’s over 30 years old, it’s currently “not functional,” according to its most recent president, and is in the midst of an organizational rebuild. In the past, the group hosted events with numerous members of Congress, including Democrats Andre Carson and Swalwell, both of whom serve on the House intelligence committee investigating Trump-Russia ties, and Republican Ed Royce, the chairman of the House foreign affairs committee.
The imposter account identified itself as the “United Muslims of America,” and used the URL Facebook.com/MuslimAmerica, which may have helped Russia obscure its masquerade. The real United Muslims of America operates a Facebook page at Facebook.com/UnitedMuslimsofAmericaUMA.

Tashie Zaheer was the real United Muslims of America’s most recent president. He recalled “several months ago” seeing an unfamiliar Facebook page using the United Muslims of America’s name, but could not definitively remember if that account was the inauthentic Russian-linked one. (There is at least one other Facebook group now using the name.) He recalled that the Facebook account that seemed inauthentic did not have a logo; at least one cached page The Daily Beast showed him from the Russian-linked account did.
Told about the anti-American memes on the imposter page, “I can say fairly confidently that none of our board members or other affiliates would never say anything like that,” Zaheer told The Daily Beast.
“The group who I spoke to and continue to engage with, they seek harmony between the U.S. and the Muslim world,” added Swalwell, who was not a source for this story. “Many of these individuals I have heard first-hand denounce terrorist attacks across the world, including those carried out by Muslim. To see their name hijacked by the Russians, if true, and carrying out Russian goals of undermining the U.S. is disturbing and not who they are.”

Asked by The Daily Beast about the imposter account, Carson added: “Unfortunately, it appears that the United Muslims of America is one of many organizations that was unfairly targeted by Russia in their attempt to influence the 2016 Presidential election.”
The account was also subtler than several of the others The Daily Beast and other news outlets have now identified as Russian-linked Facebook accounts. Much of the content on the account was apolitical, evincing positive portrayals of Islam and Muslims and debunking some of the very Islamophobic myths Russia was simultaneously deploying through other accounts. That approach might have helped the account win its 268,000 Facebook followers. But at strategic moments, those followers were treated to a sharp detour into fake news.
‘McCain Created ISIS’

One post, from April 2016, contained a video purporting to show that “#Hillary #Clinton admits #America created, funded and armed Al Qaeda ISIS terrorists … but everybody is still blamming [sic] Muslims?” (America did none of those things and Hillary Clinton, a former Secretary of State, never claimed it had.) Another meme depicted a smirking John McCain – whose loathing of the Kremlin is mutual – appearings beside text spreading the disinformation that “your tax dollars are funding ISIS.”
According to the meme, the U.S. is “officially funding and aiding [al Qaeda affiliate] ‘AlNusra,’” which are allies with ISIS and both are fighting against the Syrian government, at the same time our government is bombing The Syrian government especially military areas.” The U.S. has not “officially” funded or aided al-Nusra, and in fact has bombed the al-Qaeda offshoot. The Syrian government of Bashar Assad is a Russian proxy, and portraying it as a valiant enemy of jihadists – against the United States – is both Russia’s and Assad’s preferred framing.
A different meme purported to show that Syrian refugees – elsewhere a target of Russian-driven hate – “didn’t creat (sic) ISIS,” beside a mischievous McCain above text reading “I did.” (“Pure evil. Share if you agree!” the account posted.)
That meme was posted as recently as July 20 of this year, long after the election. The post came one day after doctors revealed McCain was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, and five days before McCain voted against a Trump-endorsed effort to reveal Obamacare.
It’s a bit of an echo of a line Trump used throughout 2016, when he falsely accused Clinton and Barack Obama of founding ISIS. In August 2016, Trump batted away an out offered by conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt and insisted, “No, I meant he’s the founder of ISIS.”
‘Support Hillary. Save American Muslims!’

The fake account’s strongest surge in political messaging came on the heels of the April 6, 2017 U.S. missile strike against a Syrian government air base -- a response to a chemical weapon attack that killed over 80 people, including 20 children. The action marked Trump’s first significant move directly opposing the will of Russian president Vladimir Putin, and on April 9, the fake United Muslims page registered its disapproval with a meme complaining about the $93 million cost of the strike, “which could have founded [sic] Meals on Wheels until 2029.” (For good measure, it also quoted “got money for wars but can’t feed the poor,” from Tupac Shakur’s “Keep Ya Head Up.”) At least a dozen more similar memes followed—they can still be found on Facebook’s Instagram photo site—urging the U.S. military to stay out of Syria.
The front group’s Instagram account was using the username @Muslim_Voice and had over 71,000 followers before it was shuttered in August. The account used the hashtag #StopBombingSyria over 30 times in its final week on the web, towing a Kremlin talking point in one post, saying “American tax dollars (are) funding Terrorists and trying to destabilize Syria!” The account also claimed that “97% of people do not know that Osama bin Laden was a CIA agent” in an Instagram meme it watermarked with “United Muslims of America.” (bin Laden was neither a CIA agent nor a CIA asset during his time in the 1980s fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. The 9/11 Commission found: “Bin Laden and his comrades had their own sources of support and training, and they received little or no assistance from the United States.”)
After an American admirer of ISIS massacred 49 people at an Orlando nightclub in June 2016, the community quickly created an event titled “Support Hillary. Save American Muslims!” that presented Clinton’s name in an Arabic-style font.
The fake United Muslims of America page was quick to point out Clinton was “the only presidential candidate who refuses to ‘demonize’ Islam after the Orlando nightclub shooting,” and boasted that “with such a person in White House (sic) America will easily reach the bright multicultural future.”
The demonstration was set to take place on July 19, the one-week anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting. It’s unclear if anyone attended.
Facebook deactivated the account last month, as part of its acknowledgement of substantial inauthentic network activity linked to Russia, but The Daily Beast was able to recover some of its content.
‘Facebook Must Take Responsibility’

This latest revelation is likely to increase the political pressure on Facebook to publicly share greater details about Russian hijacking of its platform. Facebook declined to comment for this story but did not challenge The Daily Beast’s reporting.
As recently as July, the social-media giant maintained it had seen no evidence that the Russians had surreptitiously purchased ads – a position that collapsed earlier this month, when it announced finding 3000 such ads linked to nearly 500 fraudulent Facebook accounts. Two weeks ago, it refused to commit to an expanded public explanation, even as legislators investigating Russian interference in the election showed great interest in public testimony. That position eroded further last week when founder Mark Zuckerberg committed to sharing the ads themselves with Congress, rather than the descriptions of them they have thus far provided lawmakers.
“We are looking into foreign actors, including additional Russian groups and other former Soviet states, as well as organizations like the campaigns, to further our understanding of how they used our tools,” Zuckerberg said. Facebook has yet to provide investigators on Capitol Hill with the Russian propaganda ads and thus far have only provided lawmakers and their staffs with descriptions of the inauthentic accounts.
Farhana Khera, executive director of the civil-rights group Muslim Advocates, said it was unacceptable for Facebook to only inform federal investigators about imposter accounts, leaving affected communities in the dark about inauthentic sources of information they might encounter.
"Donald Trump was attacking Muslims and Islam during the campaign and now as president. At a time when the American Muslim community has been so vulnerable to hate crimes and other bigoted attacks, Facebook must take responsibility by notifying and providing full disclosure to the American Muslim and other communities that were attacked and by working with the affected communities and the groups that were the victims of cybersquatting to develop ways to address it,” Khera told The Daily Beast.
“Facebook has a responsibility to be part of the solution, especially when their platform is being used to sow misinformation, hate and division. It is insufficient for them to notify Congress and walk away.”
Russia’s efforts to organize American Muslims in real life appear to have been less successful than its pre-election efforts to rally Trump supporters. There’s no evidence anyone turned out for the ‘Support Hillary, Save American Muslims’ march in July 2016.
The account also hosted several other events, including one called “Safe Space for Muslim Neighborhood” on September 3 of last year. The location for the event was “Obama White House” and 59 people marked themselves as having attended. The Russian front group said it had recruited two speakers, Abu Rahma and Mike Ghouse from the American Muslim Institution, who didn’t respond to a request for comment at press time.
Another event, held in June of this year, was titled “Make peace, not war!” and its description excoriates the Trump administration for “fating (Americans), as well as other nationals, to death.”
“Some believed Trump would withdraw the U.S. from useless and bloody military campaigns. But what we see is only the enhancement of hostility. We don't need wars no more!” reads the post for the rally. Only 20 people marked as having “attended,” although there’s no evidence anyone showed up.
Washington was already packed that day with demonstrators rallying for a different cause: an independent investigation into Trump campaign collusion with Russia’s election meddling.
Zaheer was president of the real UMA beginning in 2016 before stepping down this year from the volunteer position due to poor health. He said UMA did not hold any rallies in Washington D.C. in either 2016 or 2017. The “very small organization” is currently rebuilding itself, Zaheer said, to include a name change to UMA-USA.
When Zaheer saw an unfamiliar Facebook page, he called Shafi Refai, the organization’s president from 2002 to 2014, who said the Facebook page was definitely not legitimate. Refai told The Daily Beast that Arabic script on the page and “some events in Washington D.C.” that it was promoting – both of which were features of the Russian-linked imposter page – made Refai assume it was “a new organization based in Washington D.C.” using the same name.
As far as Zaheer recalled, no one from Facebook informed the real UMA about the inauthentic account using its name.
“It was kind of strange to see that organization that looked like a legitimate organization – but who was behind it, who was running it, why they were using the same name,” Zaheer said, he did not know.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive- ... -instagram
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 pm

What I find so disconcerting about this Kremlin chaos hyperbole is that it was so neatly foreshadowed in the figure of "communism" as an outside infiltrator force in just the past few years - where even that seemed way outdated after many decades of iteration.

First, during the Ferguson insurrection when the RPC showed up, as is par for course, and The Communists were accused of stirring shit and chaos and not being authentic citizen protestors.

Second, when Bernie was smeared by HRC allies and other establishment pundits as a Sandinsita/USSR/Cuba sympathizer so therefore presumably Manchurian treason Kenyan.

Apparently communism really stopped scaring the working class effectively enough, mandating a shift from *the villian is a dangerous anti-American ideology" to *the villian is actually the real 1% oligarch and they're racist and ... they have nukes."

I do not now what is going on. I do not follow the Russian "intervention" revelations closely. I franklt don't care terribly much but the rapid structural transmutation of the (long outdated) bad commies muddying the waters of godly American social justice into creepy Kremlin IT warriors muddying the waters of honorable political process is convincing to me at least.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:35 pm

no one would have to be following this "Russian" thing if it weren't for trump

I believe it is the biggest political scandal in the history of the U.S. except for 9/11 and JFK ....so I follow it very closely ...and some day everyone will know the truth....well at least some of it..trump will probably leave office without the public knowing everything he did (Felix Sater)

unlike bush/cheney trump is a two bit piece of shit married to the Russian mob and all that entails (no deep political connections) so he will be held accountable

https://whowhatwhy.org/2017/09/28/russ- ... k-records/
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:19 am

too bad that the American citizens in Puerto Rico do not have the time or luxury like we and Glenn Greenwald have to discuss the deep state.........

Russian oligarchs create political party in Cyprus
By Sarantis Michalopoulos | EURACTIV.com Sep 29, 2017 (updated: Sep 29, 2017)

One Cypriot MEP insisted that democracy only stands to gain from the creation of the new party. [Dan Nevill/Flickr]

Russian oligarchs who have acquired Cypriot citizenship have created a new political party in Cyprus, which supports further UN talks on the future of the divided island and aims to take part in the next European elections in 2019.

When the news of the party, called “Me the citizen”, broke, many Cypriots wondered whether it would focus on Russian interests. But party spokesman Dimitris Michalakakos, speaking to Cyprus’ SigmaLive, insisted it was a “purely Cypriot party”.

But he added that the initiative for its creation originally came from some Cypriots of Russian nationality.

“It was originally reported that it is a party of the Russians, but today, the Cypriots who have embraced the initiative are many more,” he insisted.

The leader of the party is Alexey Voloboev, a businessman from Lemesos who had previously funded a Russian radio station in Cyprus.

Greek media reported that the Russian oligarchs behind the initiative had taken advantage of the legislation allowing Cypriot citizenship to be acquired, based on the amount of funds deposited in local banks (€2.5 million) and a residence purchase worth €500,000.

‘Golden visas’ candidates should be thoroughly screened

The EU is bribing Libya to prevent desperate young men and women reaching the safety of our shores, while member states open wide their doors to corrupt foreign politicians who can buy ‘golden visas’, writes Ana Gomes.

There are a considerable number of Russian oligarchs who use the Mediterranean island as the basis for their business operations.

A pro-EU approach

According to press reports in Cyprus, the new party will have a centrist approach, focusing on the Europeanisation and modernisation of the island.

As far as the Cyprus issue in concern, a thorny topic for the island, the new party will back the continuation of talks under the auspices of the United Nations and will push for a “Bi-zonal Bi-communal Federation” solution, as the Greek Cypriot side supports.

On the economy, the centrist party will be in favour of a more social model and will oppose extreme neoliberal policies.

UN admits it is up to Cypriots to broker deal alone

The United Nations will not resurrect the collapsed Cyprus reunification talks as the onus is now on the divided island’s rival communities to prove they really want a long-elusive settlement, the outgoing UN envoy said on Thursday (4 August).

Democratic benefits

Takis Hadjigeorgiou, a Cypriot MEP from GUE-NGL, told EURACTIV that every democratic gathering of people only deepens democracy.

“The basic objectives of pluralism, freedom and creative dialogue should be attained. There is another condition. Everything must be done in the service of Cypriot citizens. With this in mind, I sincerely welcome the creation of the ‘Me the Citizen’,” Hadjigeorgiou revealed.

The leftist MEP said the Cypriot party system was going through a crisis and having a new party could be greeted with scepticism.

“However, I think there is no other way of having a democratic intervention…This is not something that damages democracy. Perhaps, on the contrary, democracy has benefited,” the Cypriot MEP concluded.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/global ... in-cyprus/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:49 pm

PUTIN AND THE PROXIES

A Novaya Gazeta and OCCRP investigation looks into the wealth surrounding Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Stories
Mapping Putin's Family and Inner Circle
Video

When it comes to distribution of wealth, Russia is one of the world’s most unequal major countries. In the quarter-century since the collapse of the Soviet Union, capitalism has arrived with a vengeance. Incomes rose substantially for most people -- but dodgy privatization schemes, weak rule of law, dependence on natural resource extraction, and political manipulation has allowed a small class of oligarchs to gain control of a huge proportion of the country’s wealth.

Once beholden to no one but themselves, the oligarchs have been tamed since Vladimir Putin’s arrival to the presidency. The longtime leader has struck a mutually beneficial bargain: Leave the politics to me, chip in when I need you to -- and you can keep, and even grow, your wealth.

But part of the story of Russia’s new wealth is missing: What about Putin himself?

In a recent interview, he replied to Oliver Stone’s questions about his assets with a chuckle and a sardonic smile: “I don’t have the wealth they attribute to me.”

Indeed, the Russian leader is notorious for keeping himself “officially” clean. But, sensing that there must be more to the story, OCCRP and its long-time partner Novaya Gazeta went digging to find out more -- and pieced together the assets of some of President Putin’s friends, family, and inner circle.

Some of these people lead or have stakes in large companies, many connected to Russia’s lucrative natural resources sector. The one commonality in their financial success is their connection to the to the president.

A smaller, more mysterious group -- the proxies -- have no obvious explanation for the hidden wealth reporters have uncovered. They claim not to be businessmen, are not known to the public, and in some cases have little idea of the riches that are registered under their names. Again, they have one common attribute: they are all family or boyhood friends of Putin.

These proxies’ wealth may be accounted for by the simplest explanation: It may really be Putin’s money. But in Russia, nothing is simple.

Vladimir Putin has always denied having any serious wealth. But one of his relatives somehow amassed as much as $573 million in assets while working at an $8,500 per year job.

READ THE ARTICLE
Locating the Elusive Putin Money

A former butcher worth US$ 550 million. A shipping company employee who amassed $573 million. A cellist whose offshore firms handled $2 billion.
READ THE ARTICLE
MAPPING PUTIN'S FAMILY AND INNER CIRCLE

According to OCCRP’s calculations and their 2017 Forbes ratings, the total wealth of Putin’s inner circle -- a mix of family members, old friends, and friends who became family members -- stands at nearly $24 billion. Their most successful businesses are either linked to the largely state-controlled oil and gas sector or connected to other state corporations.

Three of the people on this list -- Mikhail Shelomov, Sergei Roldugin, and Pyotr Kolbin -- form their own pattern. Though they hold enormous assets, they stay out of the public eye, seem largely unaware of their own companies, and are at pains to explain the origins of their wealth. This, along with their personal connections to the president, raise questions about whether their assets really belong to them -- or if they are merely proxies.

Click on the names below to explore the members of this exclusive club and the connections between them.

Note: OCCRP did not include politicians and top state company managers among Putin’s friends. He also has other friends and relatives whose wealth is unknown.
https://www.occrp.org/en/putinandtheproxies/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:09 pm

House Drops Motherlode of Russian Propaganda

NEW

Ben Collins, Gideon Resnick, Andrew Desiderio, Spencer Ackerman, Joseph Cox

11.01.17 2:50 PM ET

Photo Illustration by Sarah Rogers/The Daily Beast

The ad was highly specific—and specifically Russian.

It was for a Facebook group called Defend The 2nd. Above an image showing a cornucopia of bullets, it billed itself as “The community of 2nd Amendment supporters, guns lovers & patriots.” That was how it appeared to the public—the American public—but Facebook internally held data that told a different story.

Ad targeting information associated with Defend The 2nd showed how highly targeted it was. The location for viewership had to be within the United States. They had to be between the ages of 18 to over 65. They had to match Facebook users with interests including the National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Sisters, Gun Owners of America, Concealed carry in the United States, and Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

The ad did not come from people for whom the Second Amendment applies. Payment, through the online payment service Qiwi, came in the form of 48,305.55 Rubles, or roughly $829. For that, Russia garnered over 301,000 “impressions” from Americans, with no questions asked by Facebook.

That ad was one of dozens of inflammatory Facebook and Twitter ads from Kremlin-backed fake social media accounts, including several The Daily Beast has already identified, with names like “Being Patriotic,” “Secured Borders,” and “United Muslims of America.” They were released on Wednesday, along with accompanying metadata showing their Russian provenance, not by the companies themselves, but by Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, which is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Taken together, the ads and the metadata provide a deeper picture than previously known of one aspect of Russia’s so-called “active measures” disinformation campaign. Hundreds of millions of Americans – nearly 150 million, Facebook acknowledged on Wednesday – didn’t realize online political material they were seeing and sharing came from a foreign adversary. But the Russians, capitalizing on social-media targeting tools made possible by accumulated data from billions of users, knew a tremendous amount about their unsuspecting American audience.

“Russia exploited real vulnerabilities that exist across online platforms and we must identify, expose, and defend ourselves against similar covert influence operations in the future,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, said during a hearing on Wednesday with executives from Facebook, Twitter and Google.

Paid ads are a small fraction of Russian propaganda on social media, both the companies and their legislative overseers emphasized. Far larger was the organic content created by troll farms like Internet Research Agency—a St.Petersburg-based Russian troll farm linked to the Kremlin—and spread over Facebook, Twitter and YouTube by both identity-concealed Russians and, eventually, their American audiences themselves.

Another ad, on the Russian “LGBT United” page, featured a coloring-book portrait of a brolic-as-fuck Senator Bernie Sanders in a thong flexing his prodigious muscles in front of the White House. “You can color your own Bernie Hero!” the accompanying text read, advertising “Buff Bernie: A Coloring Book for Berniacs.”

Facebook/Handout
Related in Politics

Another Russian-sponsored Facebook group, referenced in the Senate Intelligence Committee earlier on Wednesday, was called Stop All Invaders, or Stop AI. One of its broken-English ads implored: “Burqa is a security risk and should be banned on US soil” above a photo of three blue burqa-clad women. (“Who is behind this mask? A man? A woman? A terrorist?” the ad continued.)

Many of the ads touched on immigration-related themes. One of the pages, Heart of Texas, published an ad decrying “Obama’s and Hillary’s policy” allowing “illegals” to get “amnesty” in the U.S. The post has an accompanying image which reads: “DON’T MESS WITH TX BORDER PATROL. ALWAYS GUIDED BY GOD.” The Heart of Texas page also referred to Clinton as “Killary Rotten Clinton” and promoted an event titled, “Get Ready to Secede!”

Representatives for Twitter, Facebook and Google testified on Wednesday that substantial portions of the Russian propaganda was issue-based. But several promoted Donald Trump and went after Hillary Clinton.

One of them, for a page called Donald Trump America, was an online petition demanding the “disqualification and removal” of Clinton from the presidential race on the grounds of opposing “the dynastic succession of the Clinton family in American politics.” The ad targeting indicators were: people inside the U.S. whose interests including Donald Trump, Donald Trump for President and – perhaps less obviously – Donald Trump Jr. It cost 14,606.52 rubles, slightly less than $251.

Part of the release of Facebook ads from House Democrats also included specific metadata about the reach of the ads and their specific targets.

For instance, one of the videos produced by Williams & Kalvin, a duo previously exposed by The Daily Beast as being linked to Russian propaganda, had over 15,000 ad impressions on Facebook. The video in question, about the conspiratorial Danney Williams who has posed as the son of former President Bill Clinton, was targeted to individuals with interests in “Martin Luther King Jr.,” “African-American Civil Rights Movement (1954-68)” and “African-American History or Malcolm X.”

Another ad placed on Instagram by an account call “american.made” made a larger impression according to metadata provided by the committee. It was placed on the Instagram account of “tea_party_news” and targeted people with interests including “The Tea Party,” “Donald Trump” and “Donald Trump For President.” It generated 165,121 ad impressions.

Others were significantly less successful. One ad from “United Muslims of America” depicting Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) with a caption reading “Sanders Win With Help From Arab and Muslim Americans is No Surprise” had zero ad clicks according to the metadata and 11 ad impressions.

The Kremlin trolling operation targeted Instagram, too. One advertisement from the handle “_american.made” promoted images of Trump and encouraged people to attend rallies in general. Another, from an account called “american.veterans,” showed a photo of a grieving widow over an American flag-draped casket. The photo contained a caption which called Clinton “Killary” and referenced her comment from a hearing about the Benghazi attack: “What difference does it make?”

But they weren’t all geared toward attacking the Democratic nominee. One Facebook page, known as “BM,” promoted an event in New York City’s Union Square billed as a march against Trump. “Racism won, Ignorance won, Sexual assault won,” the ad reads.

The committee also published the 2,753 suspended Twitter handles that the social media platform believes were connected to the Internet Research Agency. Those handles, according to the committee, “impersonate[d] U.S. news entities, political parties, and groups focused on social and political issues.” A handful of the handles contained conservative buzzwords such as “patriot,” “Hillary,” and “Trump.” But most of them were a random sampling of letters and American and Russian names.

One deleted account, @PatriotBlake, is connected to a still-live Medium account with several essays, most recent of which are “Putin shows off once again and the Media likes it,” “Hillary Clinton’s Thirst For War,” and “Hillary’s War on Women.” Medium’s CEO, Ev Williams, is on the board of Twitter, which he helped create.

Multiple suspended Twitter accounts were made to look like local U.S. news outlets including PhoenixDailyNew, OaklandOnline, NewarkVoice, NewOrleansON, MissouriNewsUS, MinneapolisON, MilwaukeeVoice, OnlineCleveland, KansasDailyNews, JacksonCityPost, HoustonTopNews, ElPasoTopNews, DetroitDailyNew, StLouisOnline, DailyLosAngeles, DailyNewsDenver, DailySanDiego, DailySanFran, DallasTopNews, ChicagoDailyNew, Atlanta_Online, TodayBostonMA, TodayCincinnati, todaycleveland, and RichmondVoice.
https://amp.thedailybeast.com/house-dem ... r-accounts
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby peartreed » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Russia’s propaganda is interesting in that the exposed ads reinforce extreme sentiments already held by Trump’s “base” against the opposition ideology. They further appeal to and incite the more “low brow” prejudices Trump himself espouses from the podium. The Russians have done their homework on both.

Trump himself is the epitome of his base – simple, easy to manipulate and gullible. By now the entire American electorate can anticipate and predict how Trump and his followers will react when their known buttons are pushed. No wonder Russia supports such an easily manipulated puppet as their preferred opposition

It is already evident that he has been compromised to concede to their pressures.

And the ads themselves profile the same simple buttons successfully pushed by the Trump campaign as well as those worn by both the candidate and his key crowd.

Propaganda as a form of political persuasion manipulating voters is much like marketing promotion or advertising to consumers, where the objective is simply to sell – or set the stage for the sale – of a product, service or desired point of view. It is most effective when contoured to fit the target’s demographic, social and psychological profile and predetermined needs. The message(s) must reach them at their level and resonate with their particular orientation and attitudes.

The victims of successful Russian propaganda include the President and his party. The only defense from all of that is intellect, discernment and rigorous intuition.
peartreed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion