The DIA, Operation Gladio and the Assassination of JFK

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The DIA, Operation Gladio and the Assassination of JFK

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:31 am

Friday, November 22, 2013

The Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), Operation Gladio and the Assassination of JFK

As I've written in my previous blog post in anticipation of the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, my understanding of the culprits ultimately responsible for conceiving this atrocity are the Military-Industrial Complex. But I am also convinced that the upper echelons of the CIA, particularly the right-wing cadre loyal to Allen Dulles bears responsibility as well for carrying out the crime. How can both scenarios be possible? District Attorney Jim Garrison, as quoted in Joan Mellen's account of his investigation of the JFK assassination A Farewell to Justice on page 318 explained it best: In implementing the assassination, the CIA was functioning as "the clandestine arm of the warfare interests in the United States government."

The implication of such a serious charge against such huge targets perennially lends itself to skepticism that such a heinous crime could be kept secret by so many conspirators. But this perspective ignores how secret operations within the government, or theoretically any large company like a private trans-national corporation, are actually conducted for maximum efficacy. As Michael Ruppert explains in Crossing the Rubicon on page 2:

From the Manhattan Project to the Stealth fighter, the US government has successfully kept secrets involving thousands of people. Secondly, in order to execute a conspiracy of the size and type I am suggesting, it is not necessary that thousands of people see the whole picture. The success of the US in maintaining the secrecy around the atom bomb and the Stealth fighter, or in any classified operation, lies in compartmentalization. A technician in Tennessee refining uranium ore in 1943 would have had no knowledge of its intended use, or any moral culpability in any deaths that occurred as a result of it. Another technician in Ohio, mixing a polymer resin in 1985, would have had no knowledge of what an F117A looked like or what it was intended to do.

So if the secret to shielding a conspiracy lies in compartmentalization, the key to unraveling it lies in finding the various compartments and the characters within those compartments with means, motive and opportunity to assassinate President Kennedy. There has been an enormous amount of research documenting the involvement of the CIA and the mafia in the assassination of JFK. So many of the strange actors in New Orleans during the summer of 1963 surrounding the strange activities at 544 Camp Street, the address stamped on Oswald's Fair Play for Cuba flyers, can be traced to either of those compartments. But there's another compartment I would like to explore that's even more obscure, but that ties in with the "military" part of the Military-Industrial Complex in an intelligence capacity: the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).

There is a cruel irony that the DIA might have played a part in the assassination of JFK along with the CIA. The DIA was created by President John F. Kennedy in the wake of the Bay of Pigs fiasco in 1961 to coordinate all US Military Intelligence activities. At this time, though JFK took personal responsibility for the Bay of Pigs, he fired Allen Dulles from his position of Director of Central Intelligence. Though Dulles publicly objected to the DIA, as author Dick Russell explains on page 142 of his book The Man Who Knew Too Much, the situation behind the scenes was that "the triumvirate that ran the DIA had stronger ties to Dulles - by then dismissed from the CIA - and to J. Edgar Hoover than they had to Kennedy's new team at the CIA."

Joseph Carroll, Director of DIA

William "Buffalo Bill" Quinn, Deputy Director DIA

Two of the men Russell is referring to are Joseph Carroll and William Quinn. Director Joseph Carroll had been a leading assistant to Hoover during his employment at the FBI in the 1940's. While both of Carroll's top subordinates were ex-CIA working closely with Dulles, Russell focuses on Major General William "Buffalo Bill" Quinn. Quinn worked within an elite group which saw the careers of James Angleton and Richard Helms promoted. He served as Allen Dulles' personal courier on Nazi troop movements during World War II. While I found this fact ominous in light of Dulles' history with helping Nazis escape war crimes that I have posted about previously, Russell provides further confirmation of exactly how ominous this relationship was on page 142: "Quinn had also pushed forward an overseas spy network aimed at the Soviets and run by Hitler's ex-intelligence chief, Reinhard Gehlen." The Gehlen Org, which I've written about previously, was part of a NATO "stay-behind" paramilitary organization "born in the head of Allen Dulles" called Operation Gladio. More about Gladio later.

"So it appears that Kennedy's idea of what the DIA should be was exactly the opposite of what it became in reality," Russell concludes on page 144. But is it conceivable that the DIA could have been used to assassinate JFK? It's conceivable through their relationship with a French paramilitary group called Organisation Armee Secrete (OAS). They were a cadre of disaffected right-wing French military officers who came together in 1961 to fight President Charles de Gaulle's decision to give colonial Algeria independence. This included several OAS assassination attempts against de Gaulle. After 1962 when Algeria gained their independence, many OAS hardcore veterans became mercenaries. One of these mercenaries, an OAS captain who was allegedly involved in a de Gaulle assassination attempt, was Jean Rene Souetre (pronounced Sweat-ra). According to a May 1963 memo from CIA Deputy Director for Plans Richard Helms, Souetre approached the CIA as the OAS "coordinator of external affairs." He is of extreme interest to researchers of the JFK assassination because of this April 1964 CIA document discovered by Mary Farrell in 1977:

So Souetre was "in Dallas in the afternoon" of November 22, 1963 and "expelled from the U.S....48 hours after the assassination." Certainly suspicious circumstances! In an interview by Dick Russell on page 354 of The Man Who Knew Too Much with the dentist mentioned in the document, Dr. Lawrence Alderson claims the FBI told him Souetre was flown out of Dallas on the afternoon of November 22, 1963 by a private pilot in a government plane. As quoted by Jim Marrs in his book Crossfire on page 203, Alderson thought the FBI "felt that Jean knew who, or he himself had, assassinated Kennedy." But is there any other evidence establishing a relationship between Souetre and the assassination prior to November 22, 1963? Through an investigation conducted by Washington D.C. attorney Bernard Fensterwald Jr. in association with Gilbert Le Cavelier, Russell writes of their findings on pages 355 and 356 of The Man Who Knew Too Much:

•OAS had contact in New Orleans with anti-Castro groups

•In March-April 1963, Souetre met with Howard Hunt (of Watergate and Bay of Pigs infamy) in Madrid.

•In April-May 1963, Souetre met with Gen. Edwin Walker (who Oswald allegedly shot at) in Dallas.

•Souetre trains that summer with Alpha 66 and the 30th of November (both anti-Castro groups) in the New Orleans Mandeville region.

•Their headquarters' location in New Orleans: 544 Camp Street.

OAS' Mandeville "cell" worked closely with elements of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).

Jean Souetre, OAS captain, alleged JFK hitman

While these revelations of an OAS-CIA-DIA relationship document the "military" side of a Military-Industrial Complex conspiracy to assassinate JFK, there is another corporate entity that highlights the "industrial" side of this equation: Centro Mondiale Commerciale (CMC). As documented by Joan Mellen on pages 136-139 of her account of the JFK assassination investigation by New Orleans DA Jim Garrison, titled A Farewell to Justice:

•Centro Mondiale Commerciale was, by the US government's own admission, a CIA front.

•CMC channeled money to OAS.

•CMC's parent company founded by the CIA, PERMINDEX, was filled with Nazis and neo-Nazis.

•President Charles de Gaulle publicly blamed PERMINDEX for attempting to assassinate him.

•CMC president Ferenc Nagy, longtime asset of CIA DDP Frank Wisner, was, according to de Gaulle, a "munificent contributor" to OAS supporter Jacques Soustelle.

•On the board of directors for CMC: Clay Shaw, indicted for murder of JFK by Jim Garrison.

In addition, there are other less-documented incidents suggestive of deeper ties. On page 242, Mellen writes of a confrontation between two CIA plants in Garrison's office where one pointed out that the other had been chief investigator of a group led by Guy Banister, the Anti-Communist League of the Caribbean, which sent $100,000 to the OAS. Banister was "running the circus" at 544 Camp Street. Further suggestive of a DIA link to the conspiracy is mention in Ultimate Sacrifice by Lamar Waldron and Thom Hartmann on page 130 that DIA Director Joseph Carroll shared at least one major FBI case with Guy Banister. At this time, however, I've been unable to find further corroboration of this detail.

But there's something about the whole story of OAS that struck me as eerily familiar. A right-wing paramilitary organization using terrorism to achieve their goals? Sounds exactly like Operation Gladio. I've covered the history and metastasization of Operation Gladio in previous posts.* To recap, the scheme concocted by Allen Dulles and carried out by NATO was initially intended to create secret armies that would lay dormant only to be activated in the event of a Soviet land invasion. By the late 60's, that scheme was augmented into what was called the Strategy of Tension. The secret armies, often in coordination with extreme right-wing movements, would stage false flag terror attacks designed to be blamed on left-wing political groups. The additional goal was to generate fear among the population so that they would "turn to the State to ask for greater security."

Is there evidence of a connection between Operation Gladio and OAS? Jonathan Kwitny, in an article originally published in The Nation on April 6, 1992, confirmed this, and Daniele Ganser, in his book NATO's Secret Armies: Operation GLADIO and Terrorism in Western Europe, built on his research with the revelation that this shocking development was supported by none other than Allen Dulles. From Ganser's book on page 95:

The OAS coup came on April 22, 1961 when four French Generals under the leadership of General Challe seized power in Algeria in an attempt to maintain the country's union with France. Allegedly, secret soldiers of the CIA-supported NATO stay-behind army who had joined the OAS were directly involved. The secret soldiers 'supported a group of generals who were resisting, sometimes violently, de Gaulle's attempts to negotiate Algerian independence and end the war', US author Jonathan Kwitny related in his article on the secret armies in Western Europe.44 Obviously, more research is needed on the involvement of the French stay-behind in the 1961 coup d'etat as it figures amongst the most sensitive dimensions of the history of the secret war in France. As of now the evidence suggests that the stay-behind armies were involved in successful coup d'etats in Greece in 1967 and in Turkey in 1980, and in the coup against the French government in 1961 which failed.

The CIA and its Director Allen Dulles together with militant secret soldiers of NATO and the Pentagon in Washington had allegedly supported the coup against de Gaulle. Immediately after the coup, 'minor officials at the Elysee Palace itself' had given 'to understand that the generals' plot was back by strongly anti-Communist elements in the United States Government and military services', as the Washington Star reported. 'Both in Paris and Washington the facts are now known, though they will never be publicly admitted', an article of Claude Krief revealed already in May 1961 in the widely read French weekly L'Express. 'In private, the highest French personalities make no secret of it. What they say is this: The CIA played a direct part in the Algiers coup, and certainly weighed heavily on the decision taken by ex-general Challe to start the putsch.' Shortly before the coup General Challe had held the position of NATO Commander in Chief Allied Forces Central Europe, cultivating close contacts not only with the Pentagon and US officers but also with the NATO secret stay-behind army, maintaining daily contact with US military officers. General Challe, as Krief concluded, had acted directly on CIA orders: 'All the people who know him well, are deeply convinced that he had been encouraged by the CIA to go ahead.'45

What is so important about these obscure historical revelations? If the OAS indeed had its origins in the stay-behind armies of Operation Gladio and the OAS terror cell in New Orleans in 1963 worked closely with elements of the DIA, we may have located the beginnings of a secret relationship between Operation Gladio and the DIA that continues to this day. Not much evidence of this relationship has surfaced and it seems as though those in charge have gone to great lengths to hide any connection. But some outrageous false flag attacks in Belgium which killed 28 people during the 1980's brought this relationship to light. These terror attacks were called the Brabant Massacres. These events and their connection with the DIA is told in 9/11 and American Empire: Volume Two edited by Kevin Barrett, John B. Cobb and Sandra Lubarsky on page 30:

Belgium: In the 1980s, Belgium suffered a terrifying series of terrorist attacks known as the Brabant Massacres. (Brabant is the geographic area around Brussels, where NATO has been headquartered since 1966.) The attacks usually occurred at shopping areas, especially supermarkets. In November of 1985, for example, three hooded men got out of their car and started firing at shoppers with a pump-action shot gun. Eight people were killed. "A husband and wife and their 14-year-old daughter were finished off in cold blood...Another father and his nine-year-old daughter were killed in their car trying to flee." Between 1982 and 1985, there were 16 such attacks, which "reduced Belgium to a state of panic."51

Although the responsibility for the Brabant Massacres remained a mystery for many years, evidence later surfaced that they were carried out by a neo-Nazi organization known as the Westland New Post (WNP). Michel Libert, a former WNP member, confirmed in 1992 that from 1982 to 1985, it was his job to scout out supermarkets, seeing if they had any protection that could interfere with WNP's operations. Libert's orders came from WNP commander Paul Latinus, who was paid by the Pentagon's DIA. A Belgian journalist reports that when he asked Latinus who had asked him to set up the WNP, he said: "American military secret services."52

Paul Latinus, DIA agent, neo-Nazi commander holding court over hell-knows-what mayhem

What became of DIA agent Paul Latinus? There is a chilling addendum to this tale in Daniele Ganser's NATO's Secret Armies: Operation GLADIO and Terrorism in Western Europe on page 147:

At the end of the Brabant Massacres, Paul Latinus was arrested. Yet before he could speak out the right-wing commander was found hanged by a telephone cord in his prison cell with his feet on the ground on April 24, 1985. 'In the circles around Paul Latinus all, or almost all, remained convinced that the boss of WNP had not committed suicide, but that he had been liquidated.' 'Each time when they attempted to reconstruct the suicide, the telephone cord broke.'

As anyone who has followed this blog within the past year knows, Operation Gladio did not evaporate with the end of the Cold War. My synopsis and analysis of the six-part series of interviews with Sibel Edmonds by James Corbett documented the evolution of Operation Gladio to Gladio Plan B. Whereas Gladio's NATO stay-behind armies hooked up with fascist and Nazi groups, neo and old school, to advance their agenda, Gladio B focused on advancing their agenda through radical Islamists. My understanding is that just as Gladio B is the next stage of Operation Gladio, the War on Terror is the next stage of the Strategy of Tension. Which would make 9/11 an Operation Gladio false-flag operation on steroids.

Does the DIA play a part in Gladio B? The answer may lie in this exchange between James Corbett and Sibel Edmonds on The Corbett Report in Part Six of their interview series that I am very proud to have a played a personal part in:

James Corbett: ...And on that note, we have an email in from Robert, who has a blog called americanjudas.blogspot.com where he is starting to synopsize our conversations and he's got Part One and Part Two up already and has done a good job of putting in some relevant links and explaining some of the characters and the details, so I will put the links to those blog posts in the show notes for this, and also Robert had a question, he said, "In Part Two, Sibel mentioned that the Pentagon doesn't call it Gladio B, but there is a designated section, a physical office that deals with Gladio operations. Can she tell us what the actual name is, or has she been gagged from doing so on the grounds of State Secrets?"

Sibel Edmonds: Right, um, the FBI's file, because the name of the file itself wouldn't be even considered classified, it's the name of a file, the operation is considered the Operation Gladio Plan B. With the Pentagon, I can't because it has not become public, and it is part of or under another division; and again that division if I were to name the division, people would be very familiar, and it will be say 'Why, that's an interesting place to put the Operation Gladio Plan B and the office there'. I can tell you that the division is mainly international NATO officers, you're looking at lieutenant colonel and higher, and it has the only office that I know in the Pentagon with the highest number of Turkish officers, they're going to have both US citizenship and Turkish, but they're assigned to this Pentagon division. Now it changes, every four or five years, some are stationed somewhere else, but if you look at it let's say during a certain period of time, the highest percentage are Turkish officers there, female and male.

That Robert who emailed the question is, in fact, yours truly, Robert Paulsen. To determine the identity of this "Pentagon division" dealing with Gladio Plan B operations, I decided to go back to the person she said was working for NATO in Part One who went to her home to try to recruit her into this sinister nexus, Douglas Dickerson. I reread the chapter in her book about the incident, and my jaw hit the floor when I read this paragraph on page 63 of by [url]Classified WomanSibel Edmonds[/url]:

We sipped our drinks and made small talk for about 15 minutes. "Doug" briefly talked about his background and current position with the U.S. Air Force and Defense Intelligence Agency, under the procurement logistics division at the Pentagon, which dealt with Turkey and Turkic-speaking Central Asian countries: Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. And, he casually added, he was part of a team at the Pentagon's Office of Special Plans overseeing Central Asian policies and operations. (emphasis added)

My initial reaction was to the possibility that it could be the Office of Special Plans (OSP), being very familiar with their history of deception under the Bush administration leading the country to war in Iraq on false pretenses. The problem with putting Gladio operations there is that under the Obama administration, OSP no longer seems to exist. That kind of narrows the list of suspects, doesn't it? As recently as April of this year, the DIA prominently featured on their homepage an interview with NATO Supreme Allied Commander Admiral James Stavridis. Perhaps it is just an interesting coincidence that the DIA would be highlighting their relationship with the seat of Operation Gladio, NATO. But I doubt it.

If, in fact, the DIA has been supporting and facilitating the terror activities of Operation Gladio since the 1960s, which the evidence linking them to the OAS suggests, there would be a logical continuity given the longevity of their relationship that would explain why NATO would have Operation Gladio Plan B under the DIA. Unlike the CIA, whose dark history has been widely disseminated throughout the media, the activities of the DIA have for the most part flown under the radar, notwithstanding the few chinks in the armor listed previously. We've seen plenty of CIA whistleblowers and NSA whistleblowers. Have you ever heard of a DIA whistleblower? How about a NATO whistleblower? If the story of Paul Latinus is any indication, there's a reason this dark history remains hidden. Dead men tell no tales.

*[My previous posts on Operation Gladio: Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, Part Five and Part Six. At this time, I would like to thank Octafish from Democratic Underground for his invaluable help in researching this story.]
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: The DIA, Operation Gladio and the Assassination of JFK

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:43 pm

The Outlaw Bank, pg 97

The source said he had called as a personal favor to Bob Morgenthau. It became so important to keep his identity secret that he was referred to among the five people at Time who actually knew who he was as "Famous Name."

Famous Name delivered in detail the confirmation that the CIA had used BCCI extensively, especially in connection with covert US operations in Central America. He said that, even before Oliver North had set up his network for making illegal payments to the Contras, the National Security Council -- an arm of the White House -- was using BCCI to channel money through them to Saudi Arabia. He also confirmed what Beaty and Gwynne had thought to be one of the more fantastic elements to Sami's story, that the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) had been involved in BCCI's covert operations. He told Beaty flatly that the DIA maintained a slush fund (ie, completely off the official books) with BCCI to finance secret operations.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Arrrrgh! Just from the first couple of paras looks like you're ROCKING it! But I can't read this properly right now, got to deliver a presentation on Greece in a couple of hours and then it's all booked through Tuesday and beyond. Keep it kicked!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:43 pm wrote:The Outlaw Bank, pg 97

The source said he had called as a personal favor to Bob Morgenthau. It became so important to keep his identity secret that he was referred to among the five people at Time who actually knew who he was as "Famous Name."

Famous Name delivered in detail the confirmation that the CIA had used BCCI extensively, especially in connection with covert US operations in Central America. He said that, even before Oliver North had set up his network for making illegal payments to the Contras, the National Security Council -- an arm of the White House -- was using BCCI to channel money through them to Saudi Arabia. He also confirmed what Beaty and Gwynne had thought to be one of the more fantastic elements to Sami's story, that the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) had been involved in BCCI's covert operations. He told Beaty flatly that the DIA maintained a slush fund (ie, completely off the official books) with BCCI to finance secret operations.

Wombaticus, that is a fantastic find! This answers any doubt about how such illegal and immoral activities could be arranged - through an illegal and immoral financial apparatus. We were just talking about how great this book is on another thread, too! This made me wonder what other books I've read that mentioned DIA dirty deeds that I've overlooked. So I've scanned through about a dozen books in my library so far. I came across this passage in Joseph Trento's The Secret History of the CIA, page 369:

One of Helms's greatest tactical successes had been in keeping the paramilitary side of United States covert activities under the aegis of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). "This is how he kept his tunic clean," Robert Crowley explained. "The CIA-DIA partnership was one of many ways the CIA hid the dirtiest and most vile of its operations. It gave the Agency deniability." In 1975, when Senator Frank Church's Select Committee held its hearings on CIA transgressions, many Americans believed they were learning all there was to know about the CIA's "family jewels," its darkest secrets. But the real dark secret is how the CIA became the public whipping boy while military secrecy was used to protect even more damaging operations.

This scene keeps playing through my mind as I research this:

"It wasn't until I was on my way back in New Zealand that I read of the President's murder. Now, Oswald was charged at 7pm Dallas time with Tippit's murder. That was two in the afternoon the next day New Zealand time, but already the papers had the entire history of an unknown 24-year-old man, Oswald--a studio picture, detailed biographical date, Russian information--and were pretty sure of the fact he'd killed the President alone, although it took them four more hours to charge him with the murder in Texas. It felt as if when a cover story was being put out like we would in a black op."
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 pm

That jumped out to me, too.

I have faith that, what with the passage of time & existence of multiple books on the subject, most of which are in my room at the present moment, we will be able to parse out a spectrum of possible ID's for "Famous Name" before Christmas, I will keep you in the loop.

OP, like much of your recent work, was superb, clean & clear writing. Thank you.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Here is something Octafish posted on Democratic Underground regarding the DIA harrassing Edwin Black in his investigation of a parallel JFK assassination plot out of Chicago:

The Chicago Plot involved a tipster named ''Lee.'' And the DIA harrassed Edwin Black.

The amazing Edwin Black reported that in 1975 -- before the Lopez Report, AARB, etc.

Forward by Edwin Black

Five years ago, on commission from Atlantic Monthly, I began investigating a Chicago conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy just twenty days before Dallas. When I asked the wrong questions and came too close to sensitive information, I was followed and investigated by a Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) operative. By examining my own files, I identified him and embarrassed the DIA into halting the harassment. There’s a record of their "project" in the credit bureau where it began, Credit Information Corporation (named Cook County Credit Bureau at the time). The DIA’s inquiry listed my employer as Atlantic Monthly, although that assignment was my only work for the magazine.

Unfortunately, the harassment didn’t end until after my apartment was broken into. No valuables were taken. But all my files were obviously and clumsily searched.

But that was five years ago, before Watergate, a different era. Today, when reporters edge close to dirty government secrets, it is the agencies that become nervous. And they think thrice before attempting the retaliation and tactics once common to the game.

My investigation, revived within the past eight months, took me to New York, Long Island, Houston and Washington as well as through courts, warehouses, police stations and federal offices in Chicago.

Hundreds of hours scrutinizing federal, state and local documents, dozens of interviews, hundreds of leads. And always with the Secret Service and FBI working against me. Doing what they could do make the investigation tedious, time-consuming and expensive. Perhaps they hoped the investigation would just disappear for all the obstructions.

I hope they now know they must come up with the answers. It is simply unacceptable to wait until the 21st Century for the release of seventy or so top secret Warren Commission documents.

Edwin Black

Another SOURCE where one can download their own copy, gratis: https://archive.org/details/TheChicagoPlotToKillJfk
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:58 pm

The OAS coup came on April 22, 1961 when four French Generals under the leadership of General Challe seized power in Algeria in an attempt to maintain the country's union with France. Allegedly, secret soldiers of the CIA-supported NATO stay-behind army who had joined the OAS were directly involved. The secret soldiers 'supported a group of generals who were resisting, sometimes violently, de Gaulle's attempts to negotiate Algerian independence and end the war', US author Jonathan Kwitny related in his article on the secret armies in Western Europe.44 Obviously, more research is needed on the involvement of the French stay-behind in the 1961 coup d'etat as it figures amongst the most sensitive dimensions of the history of the secret war in France. As of now the evidence suggests that the stay-behind armies were involved in successful coup d'etats in Greece in 1967 and in Turkey in 1980, and in the coup against the French government in 1961 which failed.

The CIA and its Director Allen Dulles together with militant secret soldiers of NATO and the Pentagon in Washington had allegedly supported the coup against de Gaulle. Immediately after the coup, 'minor officials at the Elysee Palace itself' had given 'to understand that the generals' plot was back by strongly anti-Communist elements in the United States Government and military services', as the Washington Star reported. 'Both in Paris and Washington the facts are now known, though they will never be publicly admitted', an article of Claude Krief revealed already in May 1961 in the widely read French weekly L'Express. 'In private, the highest French personalities make no secret of it. What they say is this: The CIA played a direct part in the Algiers coup, and certainly weighed heavily on the decision taken by ex-general Challe to start the putsch.' Shortly before the coup General Challe had held the position of NATO Commander in Chief Allied Forces Central Europe, cultivating close contacts not only with the Pentagon and US officers but also with the NATO secret stay-behind army, maintaining daily contact with US military officers. General Challe, as Krief concluded, had acted directly on CIA orders: 'All the people who know him well, are deeply convinced that he had been encouraged by the CIA to go ahead.'45

Have you ever heard of La Cagoule, the fascist paramilitary group in 1930s France? One of the principal figures in that organization, Dr. Henri Martin, went on to work for the OAS and was involved in the April 22 coup attempt.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... tiviste%29

http://books.google.com/books?id=KEC03m ... ule&f=true

La Cagoule (The Cowl, press nickname coined by the Action Française nationalist Maurice Pujo), officially called Comité secret d'action révolutionnaire (Secret Committee of Revolutionary Action), was a French fascist-leaning and anti-communist group that used violence to promote its activities from 1935 to 1937.

Based in Nice, France, it developed to overthrow the French Third Republic, led by the Popular Front government, an alliance of left-wing groups. La Cagoule was founded and bankrolled by Eugène Schueller, who founded the cosmetics company L'Oréal; its operational leader was Eugène Deloncle.

The group performed assassinations, bombings, sabotage of armaments, and other violent activities, some intended to cast suspicion on communists and add to political instability. Planning a November 1937 overthrow of the government, La Cagoule was infiltrated by the police, and the national government arrested and imprisoned about 70 men. At the outbreak of World War II, the government released the men to fight in the French Army. Some supported other right-wing organizations and participated in Vichy government; others joined the Free French of Charles de Gaulle. It was not until 1948 that the government tried surviving members for the charges of 1937.

The group was founded in 1935 by Eugène Schueller, who had created the French cosmetics giant L'Oréal. Some of the early meetings of the Cagoule took place at l'Oréal headquarters. Some former Cagoulards, such as Jacques Corrèze, were later hired as company executives. Its major industrialist leaders provided funds for arms and operations.[1]

Another important activist was Joseph Darnand, who later founded the Service d'ordre légionnaire (SOL), the ancestor of the Milice, Collaborationist paramilitary of the Vichy regime. His nephew Henri Charbonneau was also a member. Other notable members were Jean Filliol (who was appointed as the head of the Milice in Limoges, and fled to Spain at the end of World War II, where he worked in the Spanish subsidiary of L'Oréal); Gabriel Jeantet (who was a lover of a sister of François Mitterrand and later recommended him for the Francisque[1]); Dr. Henri Martin (a medical doctor who is suspected of having forged the Pacte Synarchique, and worked for the Organisation de l'armée secrète (OAS) after World War II);[2] and Mohammed El Maadi (head of La Cagoule for French Algeria, and creator of the antisemitic newspaper Er Rachid and of the North-African Brigade on January 28, 1944, also known as SS-Mohammed).

The group drew most of its members from Orléanists disappointed by the lack of action from the Charles Maurras' Action Française. They were opposed to the Popular Front government, created from an alliance of left-wing groups. Historians believe many low-level members were recruited in the belief that it was an auto-defense organization, intended to fight against a Communist takeover.[1]

In Nice, new members were initiated in a formal ritual. In the presence of the Grand Master, dressed in red and accompanied by his assesseurs dressed in black, with their faces covered, new members stood before a table draped with a French flag. A sword and torches were placed on it. Each man raised his right arm and swore the oath, Ad majorem Galliæ gloriam ("For the greater glory of France").[3] This oath echoed the Jesuit motto, Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (For the greater glory of God). Treason was punished by death. For instance, the arms suppliers Léon Jean-Baptiste and Maurice Juif were murdered by Cagoulards in October 1936 and February 1937, respectively, for attempting to enrich themselves by lying about the price they had paid for the arms.

The paramilitary organization was active in Paris as well as the provinces, organizing militias in the capital, creating demonstrations and amassing arms. They attempted to assassinate Léon Blum, the prime minister. They also trained men in terrorism, built underground prisons, and "ran guns in Belgium, Switzerland and Italy."

[...]

Organization of the Cagoule

-Premier Bureau: Eugène Deloncle and Jacques Corrèze
-Deuxième Bureau (intelligence): Dr. Henri Martin, Alfred Corre (Dagore)
-Troisième Bureau (operations): Georges Cachier
-Quatrième Bureau (recruits and equipment): Jean Moreau de La Meuse
-Sources of funding: Eugène Schueller, Louis Renault, Lemaigre Dubreuil (owner of table oil Lesieur and department stores Le Printemps), Gabriel Jeantet (Lafarge cements), Pierre Pucheu (Comptoir Sidérurgique)

Richard F. Kuisel writes:

"The Cagoule bore a strong resemblance to the MSE. Both were conspiratorial societies, although the Cagoule differed in its reliance on violence. Strangely enough, although the Cagoule was an archenemy of Freemasonry, it imitated Masonic ritual, symbolism, and method of recruitment. The former head of the Cagoule, Eugene Deloncle, likened its recruiting procedures to the "chain method" of the Illuminati."

[...]

Not every member of the civilian or military organizations under the Cagoule umbrella was an ideological occult-minded synarchist - perhaps many had never even heard of synarchy - but it was certainly the ideal that motivated its leaders, such as Eugene Deloncle. One of his closest fellow Cagoulards recalled his enigmatic comment: "Now, I am sure: a circle exists, a coterie controlling considerable interests, which seems to have the same objectives as ourselves regarding the State and Europe. It is a very closed society of both thought and interests. I am looking for an opening. I want to know where these people are going. Besides, from a financial point of view, this alliance could bring us substantial help." Some time later, Deloncle told him momentously: "It's done. Now, I have a contact."

"a circle exists" - Sounds like what was formalized as "Le Cercle" more than a decade later.
cptmarginal

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 pm

cptmarginal » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm wrote:Have you ever heard of La Cagoule, the fascist paramilitary group in 1930s France? One of the principal figures in that organization, Dr. Henri Martin, went on to work for the OAS and was involved in the April 22 coup attempt.

No, I hadn't heard of them. Thanks for those links, cptmarginal. I went looking for more historical precedents for OAS and found this fascination page:

OAS: its history since 1899 ...

logo

1 st part :1899-1944 parts
of the puzzle fall into place

1899 Maurras creates the French Action
November 16, 1908 Maurice Pujo the French Action (1899) creates the King Street vendors (National Federation of King Street vendors): Street vendors selling the newspaper of the AF at auction.

(Pierre Messmer and Alexandre Sanguinetti will Camelots King 1939)

November 26, 1927 Maurice Hartoy founded the Association of Combatants (French) from the front and war wounded cities (decorated with the Croix de Guerre 1914-1918) for brilliant action: the Croix-de- fire ... whose colonel Rocques takes the lead end of 1929

End of 1929 early 1930, Dr. Felix Martin left the French Action ...

The French Action splits to 1934.
In January 1935, Eugene Deloncle resigns turn of the French Action.

In December 1935, the foundation of the National Revolutionary Party (PNR) On 10 January 1936, the Association of Croix-de-Feu is dissolved

In June 1936, leaders of the NRP, and Jean Fillol Deloncle (see January 1935), create the Secret Organization of National Revolutionary Action (OSARN) who soon loses the word "National" to become SRC: an informant transcribed by mistake CSAR (which will be translated by Secret Committee of Revolutionary Action) Maurice Pujo of the French Action gives him the nickname "hood", and they were soon joined by Dr. Martin (see 1929)

On 7 July 1936, the colonel Rocques (Croix de Feu end 1929) founded the French Social Party

End of November 1936 meeting Deloncle General Henri Honoré Giraud, then military commander of Metz ...

In 1936, Marshal Franchet d'Esperey (PN born in 1856 in Mostaganem) load Colonel Groussard collect information on the Hood
End of 1936, the commander-Georges Loustaunau Lacau animates Corvignolles networks, right-wing underground movement, anti-communist and anti-parliamentarian, who recruits in the army and plans to take power on the occasion of a coup d'etat disguised as use of the army called to quell a communist insurgency. Near CSAR (The Hood), the "Corvignolles" provide logistic support (supply of arms) to the CSAR to be regarded as the military wing of CSAR.

In its shock troops, the hood has a group of North Africans, curiously called "French Algeria". The association was regularly reported to the Police, April 11, 1937 (No. 174763). Purpose: to give Muslims the rights of French citizens.

The hood is thus gradually seeps into the ranks of the Army before World War i th: hundreds of officers 30/40 years in 1939 have little as 45/55 years old at the beginning of the war in Algeria ...

After the armistice of June 1940, Deloncle meeting Admiral Darlan ...

In August 1940, in Lyon, Henri Frenay created the National Liberation Movement (resistance) renamed French Liberation Movement (MLF)

In October 1940, Loustaunau-Lacau (the "Navarre" cf 1936) creates the network Crusade

End of October 1940 in Clermont-Ferrand, Emmanuel d'Astier de la Vigerie creates Libération-Sud (resistance)

In November 1940, in Lyon, France-creation of Freedom (resistance) renamed Sniper, the same month the Crusade network expands into South zone

In January 1941, Henri d'Astier de la Vigerie (elder brother Emmanuel) joined North Africa and in March 1941 he was in Oran

Late 1941, the MLF and becomes merged with Freedom Fight, the PCF leadership founded the Riflemen-Partisans (FTP)

The Crusade network (see November 1940) is close to the British Intelligence Service in 1941: it extends into the occupied areas and prohibited from 1942 and became Alliance.

In 1942, creation of the Secret Army (OAS resume name) from the merger of Combat, Libération-Sud and Sniper (see 1940)

In 1942, the Interior Minister Pierre Pucheu meeting Frenay MLF (see August 1940) and March sends Dr. Martin (see 1930 and 1936) to Will, then Evaux where it finds Loustanau-Lacau (see 1936) , another influential member of the Hood

On 5 November 1942, Admiral Darlan left France for Algiers: it is present in Algiers during the Allied landings in North Africa, November 8, 1942

It is the Alliance of Loustaunau-Lacau (see 1936 and 1940) which is responsible for departure of General Giraud to Algeria: the latter is also present in Algiers November 9, 1942 to 1944

(The founders of the Alliance and most other network members chose to wear as pseudonyms names of animals ... However, some groups within the network, received pseudonyms business, or Indian tribes Feet ... Blackfoot?)

December 10, 1942, the Count of Paris (pretender to the throne of France since 1940) in Algiers, increasing contacts with local notables: Henri d'Astier de la Vigerie (see January 1941) would have wanted to take the Count of Paris power instead of Admiral Darlan ...

December 24, 1942, Admiral Darlan was assassinated by a young student, Fernand Bonnier de la Chapelle, perhaps on the order of Count Paris: Bonnier de la Chapelle will be judged and executed expeditiously December 26, 1942 ... order of Giraud ...

The judge, Voituriez states that if the information has not established that the order to shoot down Admiral Darlan emanated De Gaulle, she left, by cons, no doubt that De Gaulle approved the assassination plan.

This is the death of Darlan, then shelved Giraud, claiming the support of Americans who leave the field open to De Gaulle ...

January 31, 1943 creation of the Organization Resistance Army (ORA) close to General Giraud (see November 1936)

By letter of 15 February 1943 authorizing Pucheu Giraud (see 1942) to pass in North Africa ...

March 31, 1943 Ferhat Abbas and his Manifesto of the Algerian people

May 16, 1943, arrived in North Africa, Pucheu stopped ...

January 28, 1944, creation of the Legion (or Brigade) North Africa by Henri Lafont, French head of the Gestapo, and the Algerian nationalist Mohamed el-Maadi (former member of the French Captain Hood) ...

In February 1944, the ORA (January 1943) merges with the Secret Army (1942) and FTP (late 1941) to form the FFI ...
In March 1944, the third attempt,

Colonel Yves Godard future escapes from a prison camp in Silesia and joined the battalion FFI Glières Savoy he took command ...

On 20 March 1944 Pucheu is executed for treason ...

In 1944, Pierre Sergent joined the Corps Franc Freedom

Robert Martel (born in 1921 in Algiers) operates 300 hectares of vineyards and orchards in the plain of Mitidja to Shibli. It also owns land clearing. Its operation is highly mechanized but still employs several Arab laborers and has a "European" manager capable of holding the entire farm in his absence. During the war, Martel will be absent for months or even years of his property. It can therefore be described as non-owner operator. The fortune of his father is such that it allows him to finance much of its political campaigns ...

Martel is a royalist who thinks that God will send the successor of Louis XVII on the throne of France: the "logo" is the heart planted a cross, the symbol of the Chouans and against revolution ...

Martel said he was "more an Algerian French. Our fight is a whole, we do not save if Algeria (...) it is reversed (not) the Republic, because it is your Republic that put us in the state where we are. This mindset is here since 1830. Remember that Charles X was overthrown because of it, because he wanted to Christianize Algeria. (...).'s Father Foucauld himself wrote: "If we are not natives of this country Christians, France will be expelled before 40 years" ....

Pierre Poujade (Metro born in 1920), committed during World War i th in aviation in Algiers. There he met his future wife Yvette Seva in 1943 and married in July 1944.

Part 2 :1945-1954
Setif to red Toussaint

In February 1945 ... a statement from the central office of the Friends of Liberty Manifesto (AML March 14, 1944), at the initiative of Ferhat Abbas, states: "The AML does not assume any responsibility for incidents that could cause suspicious items. "

On 18 April 1945 Messali Hadj leaves Reibell in the South of Algiers, where he is under house arrest: its goal is a farm in the Setif region where he wants to establish his PC where it would launch the revolt, but he loses appointments, returns to its starting point, where he was arrested ...

On 24 April 1945 the councilors of Constantine Vallet, Lavie, Deyron, Meyer, Fournier, Verdin and Cusin submit a letter preventing riots coming to the prefect of Constantine, Mr. Lestrade-Carbonel, who shall forthwith transmit to Algiers.

April 29, 1945, the first UN meeting in San Francisco that Americans have prompted many Algerian nationalists hoped.

In May 1945, the Americans distributed to North African populations 1 million copies of the Atlantic Charter (which proclaims the freedom of peoples to self-determination).

On 1 May 1945, mass demonstrations were held across the country: clashes with the police resulting in death and injuries.

May 8, 1945, a procession of 10,000 people form Setif ... clashes with police. Gunfire erupt. The leader of the Muslim scouts, carrying a banner, falls mortally wounded: it is the beginning of anti-French riots in Sétif and North Constantine that will more than 100 European deaths: Punishment will be terrible (2,000 deaths per power, 45 000 according to the rioters).

General Duval, in his report: "I gave you 10 years of peace, but everything must change in Algeria. "

On 11 May 1945, two English officers are intercepted on the ledge near Candle they prétexteront mission wave ...

After the Liberation (Paris August 25, 1945), resistant and survivors of the cabin (French Gestapo) as Pierre Loutrel, aka "Pierrot le Fou" Abel Danos says "Mammoth" Georges Boucheseiche (also involved in the removal of Colonel Argoud in February 1963 and the Ben Barka in 1965) are found in the gang pulls ahead with a Jo Attia.

On 28 August 1945, at Mazagnan near Mostaganem, General Giraud is a victim in the garden of his villa, an attack committed by a Senegalese sentinel belonging to some Muslim Brotherhood: the ball into the jaw. General accused the secret services but may also, according to some sources, De Gaulle ...
The constitution of 2 November 945 gives the right to vote for officers (women vote lepuis April 29, 1945!)

The slogan "the suitcase or the coffin" is not an invention of the OAS, as if like to say his detractors, but is iéjà in leaflets distributed in the PPA mailboxes Constantine in spring 1946.

We read in "Our (?) North Africa. Morocco. Algeria. \ Misie. "(Subtitle" suitcase ... u coffin ") Paul Reboux 1946):
"While the loteur purrs, I'm obsessed with registration ittle we could oir on the walls of some ilies Algeria (Oran)" realizes the ... or coffin! "These are ordiaux advice, that he loved them warnings given by ome indigenous Europeans, t legible on the walls, paths to oudron, charred, painted in oil, or even printed on these etits paper butterflies which feels propagandists."

On 29 July 1946, Denis> ote, Jean Masson and Jean Ousset (1939 and 1944) established the "" Catholic ity "(whose goal was create an elite men OUES restoration of a Christian rancid).

August 22, 1946 in "an Algerian train" Eugene Vallet wrote: "these witnesses Repan-us papers in the countryside in April 946, or thrown into the boxes îttres cities:" French, pre-rez your suitcases or cer-ueils! ... "

In 1947, the "Association. Nciens lish the Expeditionary Corps in the Far East" HEFEO) was founded by some recently repatriated Indochina 3ldats.

April 14, 1947, De Gaulle founded the French Rally euple (RPF). In November 1947, birth of the journal Word of "Catholic City" (29 July 1946).
In "Algeria deadlocked" Sylvain Wisner (August 1948): "... relaxation compared to the years 45-47. We do not see, for example, inflammatory inscriptions: "The suitcase or the coffin. "

In 1949, the brothers Sidos (Pierre, Jacques and François) create "Young Nation" whose emblem is the Celtic cross (that resume OAS).

In 1950, Pierre Sergent (see 1941) is assigned to the 1st Foreign Regiment at Sidi-bel-Abbes.

The Alumni Association CEFEO (see 1947) is then reinforced by the 'old battalion of Korea "(1950-1954).

In 1951, at age 16, Jean-Jacques Susini is activist (RPF party founded by De Gaulle in 1947) in Algiers.

In 1952, Colonel Jacques Faure is part of the technical committee of the European army.

The Alumni Association CEFEO (see 1947) takes a size and a new orientation from 1952 to 1953 at the time of arrival at the General Secretariat of Yves Gignac (Sergeant) ... 28,000 contributors, including 7 8,000 militants. A third of military members active, especially officers and NCOs.
During the first quarter of 1953 setting up the legal framework for future territorial units.

In 1953, returning from Indochina, Pierre Sergent (see 1944 and 1950) returned to Algeria.

From 1954 to 1958 the hood (see 1936) reappears as the "Big O" through Dr. Martin (see 1930), code-named "Grand V" for participation in the events in Algeria before and after May 13, 1958, Dr. Martin will be charged with conspiracy, conspiracy against the external security of the State and against the internal security.

The leaders of the Big O, in addition to Dr. Martin:
- A is the Great General Paul Cherrière commander in Algiers in 1955 (the highest in Algeria military function);

- The Big B is the general 5 stars Lionel-Max Chassin which has amounted to NATO where he is chief coordinator of the Air Force Central Europe at Fontainebleau functions;
- The "little one" is the Secretary General of Indochina Veterans Association (whose president is none other than Chassin): Gignac (see 1952) ...

In 1954, General Faure (see 1952), which will be commander of the Algiers division directs the military school of Saint-Maixent (Jean-Marie Le Pen is trainee).

In early 1954 Wybot, head of the DST (see 1944), locates in Kabylie the first son of the plot: current March 1954, he sent a report to the Minister (Interior).

In April 1954, the prefect Vaujour, Director of Security, diffuse a note: "Information from different sources indicate the presence of North African commandos in Egypt, Libya or in Spanish Morocco and Spain. "

General Cherrière (A Grand Grand O) requested and received alerting paratroopers Pau.
May 7, 1954, fall of Dien Bien Phu ...
On 9 and 16 September 1954, the results of two earthquakes Orléansville, located 200 km south-west of Algiers, amounted to 1,400 dead, 14,000 wounded and 300,000 victims: pictures of FLN propaganda will believe that 'this is the results of the bombing of French aviation!

September 25, 1954, the prefect wrote to Mr. Vaujour Queuille, then Vice-Chairman of the Board "... The separatists are fighting them ... But specific information allow me to dread seeing them come to direct action within a month. And this movement is very broad. It will reach the hardest areas of Algeria and cities. If we are not careful, the small group of activists who spearheaded a new covert action ... will try to engulf Algeria to favor events neighbors terrorists. It will be a sudden outbreak, widespread, and that may put us in a difficult situation if we do not have the means to cope with all at the same time ... Mr. Leonard, I know Paris alerted ... I am sure we will live serious hours ... We are on the eve of attacks, maybe even uprisings in areas where bandits take the underground for years. This time it will not be a sporadic and localized actions ... "

October 10, 1954, the prefect Vaujour informed that the date of the insurrection is 1 November.

October 23, 1954, a special envoy of Algiers transmits the office of the Ministry of the Interior a fold ... "Clear and Present Danger ... We are probably on the verge of attacks in Algeria ... "(information comes from a mysterious Muslim)

The prefect Vaujour requesting permission to make arrests nothing.

October 26, 1954, the prefect Vaujour aware of the meeting CRUA intended to develop the statement that will be sent after the attacks of November 1. It reiterates its demand for raid: Minister of Justice (Mitterrand) replied no. October 29, 1954, at 2:00 p.m. all sub-prefects, mayors, etaiznt gathered in Constantine: "All very well. "

But the same day, on indication of a militant immunist Party, afraid of what I was asked to do, we first bomb found in Oran. In the night of 31 October to 1 November 1954, the Red ussaint ...
The first victim is a Blackfoot ine 22 years, Laurent ançois, Cassaigne, h30 killed after he had prevented; gendarmes several acks farms. Will be killed after him the institution ir metropolitan Guy Monnerot the guy Hadj Sadok of 'Chouneche who wanted to intervene
Then two young men called the RCA 9th Batna (whose weapons were not loaded): Pierre Eugène Audat and Cochet, Lieutenant Darneau, sector commander Kenchela, a Muslim police officer Ahmed Haroun Ben Amar Dra el Mizan. ..

The decision to arrest those responsible (the requests prefect Vaujour 23 and October 26) will succeed in Algiers November 2, 1954, the day after the start of the uprising.

On 8 November 1954, the CPF publishes a rather timid statement stressing about the FLN rebellion we stood in the presence of a "problem of national character"?

End of 1954, Martel returned to Algiers to learn that Poujade will hold a major conference in Paris (January 24, 1955, Poujade meet 200,000 people in the capital).

Meanwhile, Poujade organized in November 1954 in Algiers, the first national congress of the UDCA (Union Defence Traders and Artisans) at the precise moment of the outbreak of the rebellion FLN with a speech resolutely "French Algeria" populist , which goes to the expectations of small Blackfoot people. Political version of UDCA union UFF (French Union and Brotherhood).

A new log is created, Fraternity French, one Algiers, Paul Chevallet, takes the lead, and joins the existing newspaper, L'Union. Together, they have nearly 900,000 subscribers. Meanwhile, activists UDCA develops its structures.

Beginning in 1955, new tracts (see 1946): "It will soon be the suitcase or the coffin."

In 1955, Martel creates with Mr. Boyer-Banse, former director of the General Government, the UFNA (French Union North Africa), he wants against revolutionary: it recruits its members from many "small and medium settlers employees tram and railway employees in factories. "

On 7 August 1955, the department of Constantine is reduced by its eastern part to create a 4th department of the Bone.

On 20 August 1955, at noon, the wilaya 2 (North Constantine) triggers an attack on a hundred centers or major cities like Constantine or where she Philippeville 54 victims.

El Halia to 123 people, including 71 Europeans, women, children, old mines were massacred.

October 4, 1955 was created the ILMC (Instruction Psychological Warfare Centre).

The decree of 13 October 1955 recall door under the flags of all reservists (aged 18-48 years) living in Algeria.

In 1955, Jean-Marie Le Pen (cf 1954) engages in the 1st Foreign Regiment Parachute (REP 1) (Indochina): there is the rank of lieutenant ...

End of 1955, Poujade UDCA has several tens of thousands of activists who crisscross the land, and hundreds of thousands of supporters.

During the winter of 1955-1956, 10 young officers, representing 14 promotions of Saint-Cyr, just find the general Cherrière (A Grand Grand O cf 1954) ... asking him to come to the Board of Directors of Saint-Cyrienne: he accepts.

In 1956, in "my memories" Paul Reboux (see 1946): "And that is why we must renounce North Africa, and make our case if we do not want that Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco garnish coffins containing French soldiers. "

In 1956, the Alumni Association CEFEO (see 1947) becomes the Association of Combatants of the French Union (ACUF).

In 1956, Jacques Soustelle, Governor-General of Algeria, creates USRAF (Union for the Hi and Renewal of French Algeria).

The legislative elections of January 2, 1956, Poujade up Le Pen at the head of the UFF (there will be excluded in 1957), the Commissioner Jean Dides (Member GR) is elected under the label of UFF (it will also a member of FNAF).

In January 1956, the first issue of the newspaper of the FLN, El-Mujahid, on the fate of Father Declair mimeograph, chaplain Barbarossa prison.

January 23, 1956, Colonel Charles Lacheroy (subway) is placed at the head of the Psychological Action Committee or SIAP (Service Information and Psychological Action) that has been created.

The AFRO (Organisation of Resistance of French Algeria, sometimes called Organization of the French Resistance Africa and Organization for the Renewal of French Algeria) was created in 1956 by Dr. René Kovacs, a former swimming champion Hungarian-born physician and Blackfoot Algiers. It brings together the agents' against-terrorists "of Territorial Units for ...

Philippe Castille, second Kovacs (an early-against terrorists, former resistance of the i th World War, representing Renault, Lieutenant Reserve eleventh Shock, the share service SDECEE member of AFRO then later OAS) said that the bombings AFRO took place on Saturday, because the rest of the week officers were working and therefore not available for anti-FLN operations ...

Also according to Philippe Castille, AFRO has:
- Civil and parliamentary branch, the "Committee of Six" (or ten) headed by Michel Debré (who founded in 1957 the Courier anger that defends the French Algeria) and even include, in addition to Pascal Arrighi, member of Corsica, and Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, deputy of Puy-de-Dôme (he just lay off from his position as Deputy Director in the Office of Chairman Edagar Faure and appointed member of the French delegation to the eleventh session of the General Assembly of the United Nations), the representative of a dynasty that ruled France (Count Paris?)

- A military wing led by General René Cogny resident in Morocco from 3 July 1956 to 29 March 1958 (famous for participating in distance at the Battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954).

Are also members of the AFRO Dr. Jean-Claude Perez, André Achiary, Commissioner of DST, sub-prefect of Guelma during the massacres of Constantine in 1945 and attached to the firm Jacques Soustelle (Governor General) ...

Joseph Ortiz (PN born 1917), owner of the cafe Forum in Algiers, is responsible Poujadist (UDCA) in the 50s: he naturally joined AFRO as the restorer Goutallier (representing Poujade). By his wife, Ortiz is also co-owner of the pro-only hotel in Tizi-Ouzou: he sees many general Faure (see 1954) for which he said he had a boundless reverence.

February 6, 1956, it is the manifestation against Guy Mollet, chairman, who has appointed the Governor General Catroux

Ortiz is one of the organizers: it boasts of having that day, with 1,000 pounds of tomatoes, changed the course of history.

In Algiers, the reporter Joly, former Cagoulard (who wrote a well known book, Counter-Revolution, where he explains that to avoid the Revolution, must take the lead) meets one of the leaders, Martel, who presents Big O and in which he proposes to meet Grand V, aka Dr. Martin. And thus transmit Martin Martel all information clandestine network.

There are also among the leaders of the master Jean-Baptiste Biaggi, a Parisian lawyer and former speaker of the RPF national event, and veterans and their committee agreement whose leaders are Mr. Auguste Arnould, airline pilot, and Mr. Mouchan, principal hands-left on the battlefields of Italy, replaced by hooks.

After the outbreak of the February 6, 1956, the UFNA Martel is dissolved; General Faure began to mobilize those who aspire to revenge attacks FLN: It is the territorial units (22,000 reservists, mostly domiciled in Algiers in Sahel or Mitija with their rank in the army, are forced to 4x24h service per month in their UT) ...

With the most ardent volunteers, Colonel Jean Thomazo says "nose-to-leather" form UTB, Territorial Unit Armored which, equipped with Sherman tanks and halftracks (4 platoons of 5 tanks each) under the command of Captain and Lieutenant Kerdavid Léger, operates as an autonomous force in the fight against the fellaghas.

UTB used heavy weapons under-own-activists of the Committee of Public Hi 13 May 58.

Faure "was particularly attached to lieutenant Le Pen who will contact Poujade and Dides. "

To the repression of the Minister Resident Lacoste, several clandestine groups form: activists are divided between those who join the AFRO, famous because Poujadist meets most known party activists, and those like Crespin, Deputy Martel, who create the CRF (the French Resistance Committee).

In March 1956, Freedom, clandestine organ PC, "welcomes the appearance of the FLN in the Algerian political arena."

On 12 March 1956, the 150 members of the Communist Party vote that give special powers to the Government towards socialist Guy Mollet ways to intensify the fight against the rebels.

"The special powers granted to the government, entrusted to the Minister of Algeria, transmitted by it to the military authorities assured (erent) the initial response of the military in politics."

In Paris in late April early May 1956, the revolutionary movement against integrates training Hungarian refugees who arrived in France after the bloody repression of Budapest (April 23, 1956 it is 20,000 dead and 160,000 refugees in Western Europe ) and constituted a special unit.

In May 1956, the aspirant away jersey truck guns, most of which will be given to Yacef Saadi, as a token of good will communist.

On 1 July 1956, the "Liberation Fighters" military organization PCA announce "the integration of communist guerrillas in the NLA."

10 August 1956, AFRO commits a bomb against the FLN, Thebes street in the Casbah of Algiers, which killed 28 Muslims dead.

In the autumn of 1956 in Algiers, leaflets appear the "Central Committee of Vigilance and Patriotic Action" and a "Body Clandestin the French in Algeria."

Besides AFRO Dr. Kovacs, there is also the MASU (Algerian Movement Secret Ultras), RCF (Clandestins French Resistance) ...

September 30, 1956 in Algiers, attacks "Milk Bar" rue d'Isly and "Cafeteria" Michelet street: poseuse bombs Djamila Bouhired kills 4 children and injured 52, mostly in the legs (10 will be cut).

October 10, 1956 in Algiers, the villa that houses the manipulation of science student Taleb exploded, police discovered six bombs through the rubble. October 22, 1956, Ben Bella stopped.

In November 1956, Jean Georges and Damblans Sage founded the Higher Studies of Social Psychology Centre.

"Mr. George Sage, director of the Center for Advanced Studies in Social Psychology, (whose book" Failed to communism "a resounding success with officers) lectured in all major military schools, Polytechnique Coëtquidan .. .
He can talk at leisure on the "Army face psychological warfare" to the General Conference Jouhaud and has been reproduced by the Holy Cyrienne and newsletter Rhine-Danube. "Sage speaks to the War College and Saumur . He toured Algeria. His talk "down" to the level of combat units of corn.

On 12 November 1956, other bombs exploded in Algiers bus at Monoprix Maison Carree, the Hussein-Dey station: 36 victims including many children.

On 14 November 1956, the Communist Fernand Yveton stopped carrying a time bomb for the gas plant Hamma.

December 27, 1956, Amédée Froger Mayor Boufarik and president of the Federation of Mayors of Algeria, was assassinated by the FLN rue Michelet his funeral rioted which several Muslims dead.

In December 1956, General Faure "conspires", which earned him one month shutdown fortress (La Courneuve) and a mutation in Germany. On 14 December 1956 at 23:00, General Raoul Salan arrived in Algiers, where he replaces General Lorillot as joint commander. In 1956-1957, the Catholic City Jean Ousset (29 July 1946) was able to create his side smuggled into the army, under the leadership of Captain Cathelineau, a network of cells studies and action. we count in Algeria more than a hundred each May to June soldiers or officers in 1957 Susini is a student in Lyon where he is part of a group of "military training" framed by officers under General Descours, commander of the military region of Lyon, friend and follower of Mr. Sage (see November 1956). In 1957, Pierre Lagaillarde (metro born in 1931, his parents came to live in Algiers in 1932) , paratrooper lieutenant, became president of the General Association of Students (Europeans) to Algeria (AGEA), it is also a lawyer. In January 1957, the General Chassin (Big B Big O cf 1954) succeeded General Salan . the head of the patronage committee of ACUF (1956) January 6, 1957 Lacoste ad Salan its decision to the Tenth DP Massu full powers: the Battle of Algiers, Ben M ' hidi has 1200 men and the complicity of the population, Massu 6000 men plus the police. 9 January 1957 Guy Mollet offers "Cease-fire, free elections, negotiations.

"

Mid-January 1957, Biaggi (see February 6, 1956) welcomes twenty personalities: Michel Debré chairs, Maxime Blocq-Mascart (Vice-President of the National Council of Resistance in 1944) ... On 16 January 1957 a bombing Bazooka is committed against General Salan, then new commander of the Tenth Military Region: it costs the lives commander Rodier. The perpetrators of the attack are Philippe Castille and Michel Fechoz citing General Cogny, also stopped Calle, Dellamonica, Lauratour, Ortiz, Rizza, Troncy Wattin ... all members of the AFRO. Sponsor of the attack, Dr. Kovacs (see 1956), involves the prominent figures, including Michel Debré, but without providing any evidence. The investigation is terminated. Perhaps this premise of May 13, 1958 ... Eric Safras_ credit: The magazine NHSP No. 189-190-191-192

For Chapter # 2 .... klic
For Chapter # 3 .... klic
For Chapter # 6 .... klic
The 8 th part klic ...
The 9 th part ... klic
To the last chapter .... klic

Intriguing, especially regarding Jacques Soustelle, who DeGaulle fingered as being instrumental in the link between PERMINDEX and his assassination attempt.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:48 pm

This particular J. Edgar Hoover document was brought to my attention by DrDebug from Democratic Underground:

Which jogged my memory, particularly the "George Bush of the Central Intelligence Agency" reference, about Family of Secrets by Russ Baker. Baker mentioned the flimsy cover story the CIA had for this revelation in Family of Secrets on page 10:

McBride's revelations appeared in the July 16, 1988, issue of the liberal magazine The Nation, under the headline, "The Man Who Wasn't There, 'George Bush,' C.I.A. Operative." Shortly thereafter, Central Intelligence Agency spokeswoman Sharron Basso told the Associated Press that the CIA believed that "the record should be clarified." She said that the FBI document "apparently" referred to a George William Bush who had worked in 1963 on the night shift at the Langley, Virginia, headquarters, and that "would have been the appropriate place to have received such an FBI report." George William Bush, she said, had left the CIA in 1964 to join the Defense Intelligence Agency.

Baker mentions further revelations of the DIA recipient on page 11:

Several years later, in 1991, former Texas Observer editor David Armstrong would track down the other person listed in the Hoover memo, Captain William Edwards. Edwards would confirm that he had been on duty at the Defense Intelligence Agency the day in question. He said he did not remember this briefing, but that he found the memo plausible in reference to a briefing he might have received over the phone while at his desk. While he said he had no idea who the George Bush was who was also briefed, Edwards's rank and experience was certainly far above that of night clerk George William Bush.

What I really want to know is who the other person is in the "triumvirate" of DIA leaders including Carroll and Quinn that Dick Russell refers to in The Man Who Knew Too Much. Russell says that person also had a history with and was loyal to Allen Dulles. Could it be Edwards? Probably not, but it's unfortunate so little of DIA historical specifics is on the record.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Since I can no longer edit the OP, here's a link I forgot to include about Gladio B:

Gladio B: The Origins of NATO’s Secret Islamic Terrorist Proxies
By Tom Secker | Mar 11, 2013

At the end of WW2, as the Allied forces withdrew from continental Europe, the American Office of Strategic Services and the British Special Operations Executive left some paramilitary and intelligence units in place in the host countries. These so-called ‘stay behind’ secret armies had been used successfully against the Axis powers during the war, alongside various other commando-type units. Notably, Ian Fleming (author of James Bond) was loosely in charge of the famed 30 Assault Unit, and his brother was involved in setting up the stay-behinds used during the war.

The purpose of these secret armies in the post-war period was to act as a first resort fall back option in case of a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. However they also had an implicit mission of harassing the Soviets pro-actively in time-honoured guerrilla fashion. During the Yalta conference Josef Stalin referred to this, talking about “agents of the London government connected with the so-called resistance” in Poland who had killed 212 Russian soldiers. Franklin Roosevelt suggested that would be a good point to adjourn the meeting, before Winston Churchill, without explicitly denying what Stalin had claimed, said, “I must put on record that both the British and Soviet governments have different sources of information in Poland and get different facts.” Given that it was Churchill who notoriously gave the order that British commando and resistance forces “set Europe ablaze”, the old soak was clearly just covering his back with this remark [1].

Giulio Andreotti GladioSo, when the war ended this mission continued, with secret military and intelligence units operating in all the NATO member states, and even in those countries that were not members of NATO such as Sweden and, at least for a time, France. Only select members of the governments of the host countries were let in on the secret – sometimes even the heads of governments were kept in the dark by those within the military and intelligence institutions who were in the know. As such, the stay behind armies operated in the shadows, with almost no public recognition of their influence until 1990, when then Italian Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti admitted that the units in Italy, codenamed Gladio, did exist and had existed for decades.
The Third Mission

What Andreotti did not admit, but what has become clear through various official and unofficial investigations since then, is that the secret armies developed a third mission, namely, countering the domestic support for Communist and Socialist ideologies, policies and parties. MI5 files now available via the National Archives show that the paranoia in Western intelligence agencies about Communist political subversion took hold even before WW2, let alone the Cold War. Just as they had spied on, infiltrated and manipulated the turn of the century Anarchist movement, they subjected the trade unions, the labour movement, all Communist groups and many suspected Communists in positions of public authority (such as authors) to the same tactics. They even spied on their own former spies, including Arthur Ransome, who had been in Russia during the Bolshevik revolution keeping an eye on Leon Trotsky.

Exactly when the pro-active part of the secret armies mission was turned into a means for domestic counter-subversion is not clear. At some point in the 1950s or 1960s there was a change in strategy that used the secret armies not just to gather intelligence on these groups and individuals, but to destroy their support through violence. Numerous terrorist outrages, from Turkey to Ireland, were instigated, provoked or simply carried out by members of the secret armies, including numerous bombings in Italy and the assassination of Aldo Moro, the Oktoberfest bombing in Munich and the Brabant Massacres in Belgium. All forms of urban terrorism were perpetrated, often by neo-Fascists posing as Leftists, in order to terrify the public, polarise public opinion and destroy support for mainstream Leftist political movements. The process was a great success, ultimately contributing to the downfall of the Soviet Union and ensuring that the policies chosen by the leaders of NATO countries were in keeping with the overall trajectory desired by the Anglo-American establishment [2]

This story is relatively well-known among students of alternative history and advocates of alternative media, though the operation of the secret army here in the UK has not been subject to the detailed research of, for example, the Italian Gladio.

Irish Troubles GladioPerhaps this is a matter of semantics, because at the moment the stay behind units on the continent started their reign of terror, the Irish ‘Troubles’ also began. The same tactics were applied to the political movement for independence in Ireland as to the democratic Communist movement in Italy and elsewhere. Both the Republican and Loyalist radical factions were infiltrated, radicalised, militarised and set down a path of self-destructive and counter-productive violence. This issue of collusion in the Irish conflict has, like the stay behind armies, been outlined in numerous official and unofficial inquiries, most prominently the Cory inquiry [3].

While this knowledge about Gladio and the other secret armies is extremely significant, it is largely historical. There is no threat of domestic subversion from Communism anymore, either real or fabricated, and the world has kept on spinning. While the Irish conflict still simmers, the prolonged campaign of urban terrorism on the British mainland ended over 15 years ago, and so one might well ask why is this still important?
Gladio Part B

Sibel Edmonds Gladio BThe answer to that question has been provided through a series of exceptional interviews with former FBI translator and respected whistleblower Sibel Edmonds, carried out by “one of the world’s few remaining 9/11 conspiracy theorists” James Corbett. Over the last few weeks, Edmonds has outlined how the contemporary spy-game around radical Islam, documented in the works of Nafeez Ahmed among others, is actually a follow-on from Gladio. She refers to it as ‘Gladio B’, identifying a change in policy around 1996, following the Suserluk incident that once again betrayed the forces at work in the Turkish deep state.

To paraphrase Edmonds: though the collusion with radical Islam had been going on for decades, it wasn’t until 1996 that a formal decision was made by NATO to abandon their previous secret relationship with neo-Fascists and arch-Nationalists and replace them with Islamists.

Omar Bakri MI5This is corroborated by a lot of data, for example the international Islamist organisation Al-Muhajiroun suddenly became very prominent in the UK in 1996-7. Omar Bakri, who later admitted to being an MI5 informant, was a key figure in Al-Muhajiroun and its partner organisations like the International Islamic Front. They were central to the process by which young Muslims were recruited, radicalised, trained and sent to fight NATO’s war of destabilisation in the Balkans.

Likewise Al Muqatila, more commonly known as the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group or LIFG, were also prominent in Britain at this time. Following their failed assassination attempt against Colonel Gaddafi in February 1996 several senior members of the group moved to Britain and established their main office there. Among them was Anas Al-Liby, who was probably an MI6 agent recruited as part of their sponsorship of the assassination attempt. He lived in Manchester from 1996 until 2000, having been granted political asylum. A raid on houses connected to Al-Liby in May 2000 resulted in several arrests, but Al-Liby slipped away, probably tipped off by the authorities. [4]

According to Edmonds, since that time the Gladio B operation has expanded and includes the radical Islamisation of Central Asia and the Caucasus region specifically and across the Middle East more generally. Again, much of the available information supports her claims, especially regarding the Gulen Movement, but also NATO’s relationship with Islamist organisations such as the Muslim Brotherhood and with terrorist groups like Jundullah who are destabilising Iran and the MEK/MKO. Most of this can be gleaned from reading mainstream media reports with the right kind of eyes and ears, and by being patient enough to tolerate their habit of dropping occasionally truthful stories into their mix, but never teasing out the implications or sticking with the story to see where it leads. We are however still left with a key question.
When Did Gladio A Become Gladio B?

While much of Edmonds’ analysis of Gladio B is eminently verifiable by those who know where to look, and chimes with much of my own work on terrorist double and triple agents, there is a lot of information that suggests that at least the idea of replacing the Fascist Gladio A with the Islamist Gladio B had occurred to strategists much earlier. The exposing of Gladio A began in Turkey in the 1970s, gaining considerable attention when several Gladio documents were published. These included U.S. Army Field Manual 31-15: Operations Against Irregular Forces, a 1960s US special warfare training manual that had been translated into Turkish [5]. It was perhaps inevitable that following the Turkish revelations that the overall Gladio story would have to be admitted, rendering it a bit useless.

Vincenzo Vinciguerra GladioMeanwhile in Italy a judge named Felice Casson was investigating various acts of terrorism including the 1972 Peteano bombing. This eventually led him to the perpetrator – Vincenzo Vinciguerra, a neo-Fascist and member of Ordine Nuovo and Avanguardia Nazionale who had been spirited out of the country after the bombing and protected by the international Gladio network. Vinciguerra was brought back to Italy and he started to talk, explaining the whole operation. At this point his protection was stopped, and he was subsequently put on trial. If the information coming out of Turkey wasn’t enough to signal to NATO that the veil of secrecy around the secret armies was wearing thin, then Vinciguerra’s testimony certainly was.

Fortunately for them, it was at this point in the story of NATO’s collusion with radical Islam that Ali Mohamed entered the fray in a significant way. In 1984, as Vinciguerra was laying out the story of Gladio in Italy, Ali offered his services to the CIA, who signed him up. He was sent to spy on Hezbollah in Germany, which he did by using the ‘dangled mole’ tactic and revealing to his targets that he was working for the CIA but trying to convince them he was still loyal to their side. Even though he infiltrated the group successfully he was supposedly fired by the CIA at this point for being untrustworthy [6].

However, there is a lot of evidence that this was all a piece of theatre, designed to make Ali a deniable agent for use as a deep-cover spy. For one thing, Ali’s first contact with the CIA wasn’t when he approached them in Cairo in 1984, but when they approached him in America in 1981. While members of the same Egyptian army squadron as Ali were assassinating Anwar Sadat, Ali was on a four month training scheme at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. While there he was approached by the CIA who were looking to recruit him. Despite its implications this information remarkably comes from official sources; namely the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point. They produced a biographical sketch of Ali Mohamed describing the 1981 contact and citing as their source an interview with Dan Coleman, the FBI agent seconded to the CIA’s Bin Laden unit who debriefed Ali after he was ultimately arrested. That profile is no longer available on the West Point Center’s website (I can’t think why) but is available via the Wayback Machine [7].

Ali Mohamed Al QaedaFurthermore, if Ali was considered unreliable in 1984 then why did they arrange a visa for him to fly to the US in 1985? Why did they not alert anyone to the danger he posed when he applied to join the army? Why did they send an agent to meet him again at Fort Bragg after his application was successful and he was posted to the US Army’s Special Warfare Center? Why did everyone who knew him, from his wife and friends in California, to his commanders at Fort Bragg, think that he was still working for the CIA throughout this period?
Ali Mohamed: Gladio B Operative?

The significance of this is that Ali was to Al Qaeda what Yves Guerin-Serac and Pino Rauti were to the Aginter Press and Ordine Nuovo – an experienced special forces spy who could turn wild-eyed recruits into hardened men capable of acts of extreme violence. Ali was Al Qaeda’s principle trainer from the late 1980s until his arrest in 1998. One key location was the Al-Kifah refugee centre in New York, taken over in the early 1990s by followers of the Blind Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman who, like Ali, got into the US on a CIA-sponsored visa. The Al-Kifah hosted training sessions and seminars led by Ali, and this went on both during the Soviet-Afghan War – and while Ali was posted to Fort Bragg – and after the war had ended – and Ali was still in the US army reserve and applying for jobs with the FBI.

Ramzi YousefAli’s trainees in New York perpetrated the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, and he probably also trained Ramzi Yousef, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the bombing. They were certainly in the same area of Afghanistan, circulating in the same training camps throughout much of 1992. When Ramzi and his companion arrived in New York in September 1992 they were carrying with them books of bomb recipes translated into Arabic, likely the product of Ali Mohamed’s work [8]. Although he was listed as an unindicted co-conspirator in one of the WTC trials, Ali never testified in those trials even though he was called as a witness for the defence who were arguing that his activities at the Al-Kifah were officially sanctioned by the US government as a follow on from Operation Cyclone, the backing of the Afghan Mujahideen during the Soviet occupation.

In the years after the WTC bombing, Ali virtually ran the 1998 African embassy bombings operation under the pseudonym ‘Jeff’. According to his extensive confession he carried out surveillance on the American Embassy in Nairobi in late 1993 that was used to decide how to bomb the building several years later [9]. Alongside him doing the surveillance was Anas Al-Liby, the LIFG member who moved to Manchester, England a couple of years later. When Al-Liby’s home was raided in May 2000 the authorities found a copy of the Al Qaeda training manual that written by Ali Mohamed. Just as with the training documents for the Turkish kontrgerilla secret army, the Al Qaeda training manual was adapted and translated from US army manuals that Ali had stolen from Fort Bragg.

With these sorts of connections and parallels we should ask whether the preliminary steps of what has become Gladio B were being taken, via Ali Mohamed, for more than a decade prior to the formal decision identified by Sibel Edmonds as taking place in 1996. One key aspect of Gladio, beyond using proxies to carry out violence and spread ideology to try to reshape the world, is the creation of an enemy image. Just as the Red Brigades in Italy, the Red Army Faction in Germany, the Irish Republican Army in the UK and Ireland, among others, were infiltrated by Gladio agents and manipulated into functioning as symbols for fear and hatred, the same thing has happened with Al Qaeda. Ali Mohamed was instrumental in this process, helping Al Qaeda to carry out the terrorist attacks in the 1990s that would then make it plausible, at least to a large section of the public, that they were also responsible for 9/11.

NATORegardless of the exact origins of Gladio B and precisely when the shift in policy occurred what is clear is that Sibel Edmonds’ story of a large scale effort on the part of NATO to engage radical Islam as a proxy force, through a network of collusion, assets, double agents and straight-up foot-soldiers following orders, is true. The aims and strategies of the new model of NATO terrorism is still to a large extent the same as the old one – use urban terror to scare the domestic population away from constructive policies and towards the consolidation of the security state, provide an enemy image, provide a guerrilla force to harass Russia and China, and to assist in the overthrow of target governments. Gladio is alive and well, it has just shifted gears [10].

Sources

[1] Operation Gladio Document Collection, http://www.investigatingtheterror.com/d ... ection.htm

[2] A fuller account of all the different incidents identified as part of Gladio is offered by Daniele Ganser’s NATO’s Secret Armies and Richard Cottrell’s Gladio: NATO’s Dagger at the Heart of Europe, available from Amazon and all good book providers.

[3] Cory Collusion Inquiry Reports, http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/collusion/index.html

[4] MI6 ‘halted bid to arrest bin Laden’, http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2002 ... vidshayler

[5] US FM 31-15 can be downloaded here: http://archive.org/details/FM31-151961

[6] History Commons timeline on Ali Mohamed, http://www.historycommons.org/entity.js ... li_mohamed

[7] West Point Combating Terrorism Center’s Ali Mohammed: A Biographical Sketch, http://web.archive.org/web/200901090316 ... hammed.pdf

[8] WTC93 Document Collection, http://www.investigatingtheterror.com/d ... ection.htm

[9] Ali Mohamed Guilty Plea, http://cryptome.org/usa-v-mohamed.htm

[10] The James Corbett interviews with Sibel Edmonds are best watched or listened to in the order they were recorded, http://www.corbettreport.com/interview- ... g-running/
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 pm

This made me wonder what other books I've read that mentioned DIA dirty deeds that I've overlooked.

Here's something, from Jim Hougan's Secret Agenda:

Among the business that he mixed with pleasure was a vest-pocket investment corporation that [Philip] Bailley claims he founded in a Washington bar. According to Bailley, the firm was created as "an excuse to have parties"--meetings of the board of directors at which little business seems to have been transacted. All of the firm's officers, except one, were personal friends of Bailley's--young professionals who enjoyed a good time. The exception was a man who, Bailley says, happened to be in the same bar drinking with his friends when the firm was conceived and its articles of incorporation discussed. "Everyone thought [he] was someone else's friend," Bailley told me, "so we just included him [as an officer of the firm]." In fact the young man was an employee of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).

According to Bailley, the man was present at a meeting of the "board of directors" that quickly became controversial. The cause of the controversy was a handful of pornographic photos that Bailley passed around the conference table while the minutes of the previous meeting were being read. The woman reading the minutes was a beautiful young attorney employed in the Office of the President. She enjoyed the parties that often followed the board meetings, and occasionally performed secretarial chores for the firm. The photos snickered at by the men around the table were of her, though she was unaware of that. When the pictures reached the DIA man, Bailley says, he reacted violently, protesting that the woman posing in flagrante delicto was an employee of the President in one of the most sensitive components of government. The photos were therefore a national security matter, and, as a DIA employee, he would have to report the incident. It was this report, Bailley believes, that led to the FBI investigation that was to ruin his career.

The Bailley Ballyhoo of 1972

The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:44 pm

The History of Wirt Dexter Walker: Russell & Company, the CIA and 9/11

Wirt Dexter Walker II (Wirt Two) was born to Wirt One and his first wife, Susan Cramer Stephenson during the two years that they lived in Buffalo.

Like his father, Wirt Two went to Williams College. He graduated and then immediately joined the Army Air Corps during World War II and became a pilot.[48] Just before leaving for duty in 1942, Wirt Two married Margaret Elizabeth Ross, of North Adams, MA.[49] They eventually had three children: Wirt Dexter Walker III (Wirt Three), Wendy Margaret Walker, and William Ross Walker. Both Wendy and William, along with their brother Wirt Three, were shareholders in Stratesec.[50]

In 1954, Wirt Two was in a legal battle with three of his father’s four wives, over his father’s substantial estate.[51] His daughter Wendy later remarked on Wirt One’s exploits, suggesting that her grandfather’s work at Arcady Farms was only one of several of his “ventures.”[52]

Wirt Two became a career officer in the Army Air Corps and then the US Air Force, serving until 1962. He flew combat missions with the Eighth Air Force while stationed in England during the war, and was later stationed in Germany. After the war he was assigned to “various government agencies involved in reconnaissance intelligence.”[53] The Lockheed-made U2 reconnaissance aircraft was assigned to the Eighth Air Force, a part of Strategic Air Command, where U2 operations started in 1956 and involved flights over the Soviet Union and the Middle East.[54] In May 1960, while Wirt Two was working on reconnaissance intelligence, an American U2 was shot down by the Soviets, initiating a worldwide controversy over espionage.

Wirt Two is also listed as an ex-employee of the National Photographic Interpretation Center (NPIC), an agency of the CIA that analyzed aerial spy photographs.[55] The significance of the NPIC to major intelligence activities during the twentieth century cannot be overstated. NPIC was the agency that was responsible for the intelligence that originated the Cuban missile crisis.[56] NPIC was also central to the analysis of the photographic evidence related to the Kennedy assassination, including the Zapruder film. Whether or not Wirt Two participated in these historic activities is not publicly known.

In his obituary, Wirt Two is listed as having been an employee of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), for which it is said he worked until 1977. He died of leukemia in 1997.
cptmarginal

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:02 pm

cptmarginal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:02 pm wrote:
This made me wonder what other books I've read that mentioned DIA dirty deeds that I've overlooked.

Here's something, from Jim Hougan's Secret Agenda:

Among the business that he mixed with pleasure was a vest-pocket investment corporation that [Philip] Bailley claims he founded in a Washington bar. According to Bailley, the firm was created as "an excuse to have parties"--meetings of the board of directors at which little business seems to have been transacted. All of the firm's officers, except one, were personal friends of Bailley's--young professionals who enjoyed a good time. The exception was a man who, Bailley says, happened to be in the same bar drinking with his friends when the firm was conceived and its articles of incorporation discussed. "Everyone thought [he] was someone else's friend," Bailley told me, "so we just included him [as an officer of the firm]." In fact the young man was an employee of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).

According to Bailley, the man was present at a meeting of the "board of directors" that quickly became controversial. The cause of the controversy was a handful of pornographic photos that Bailley passed around the conference table while the minutes of the previous meeting were being read. The woman reading the minutes was a beautiful young attorney employed in the Office of the President. She enjoyed the parties that often followed the board meetings, and occasionally performed secretarial chores for the firm. The photos snickered at by the men around the table were of her, though she was unaware of that. When the pictures reached the DIA man, Bailley says, he reacted violently, protesting that the woman posing in flagrante delicto was an employee of the President in one of the most sensitive components of government. The photos were therefore a national security matter, and, as a DIA employee, he would have to report the incident. It was this report, Bailley believes, that led to the FBI investigation that was to ruin his career.

The Bailley Ballyhoo of 1972

Thanks very much, cptmarginal. I believe you are the third person this month to direct my attention to Secret Agenda as worth reading. Must take a trip to my local used book store soon!

Here's another book mentioning DIA dirty deeds: Veil by Bob Woodward. In the wake of the publication of Claire Sterling's The Terror Network and New York Times Magazine March 1, 1981 cover story, "Terrorism: Tracing the International Network", featuring Secretary of State Haig's assertion that the Soviet Union was responsible for international terrorism, DCI Bill Casey checked and rechecked to find out why the CIA was not coming to the same conclusions. Their response after checking CIA files is pretty clear on pages 126-127:

The covert operators argued that Sterling's method was preposterous. Her verdict followed from flawed reasoning - a kind of McCarthyist "linkmanship." In her three case studies, Turkey, Northern Ireland and Italy became, by some leap of logic, "target nations" of the Soviets. In each section, the KGB was mentioned once.

Meanwhile, the national-intelligence officer for the Soviet Union - the senior Soviet analytic post in the U.S. intelligence agencies - had finished sifting the available intelligence for the special estimate on the Soviet involvement in terrorism. His draft took a strong anti-Sterling line. Casey was appalled. It pretty much cleared the Soviets of involvement in terrorism, saying there was little evidence that they encouraged it.

"Read Claire Sterling's book," Casey said, "and forget this mush." He added tartly, "I paid $13.95 for this and it told me more than you bastards whom I pay $50,000 a year." The Soviet hand, he said, was not going to show directly with the kind of evidence they could take to a court of law. Based on Soviet statements of intent, a willingness to work with terrorists and a realization that terrorism befuddled the West, it would be logical for the Soviets to promote it, Casey felt. It is "bullshit," he said, to think that proof would be marched in on a platter. "You have to form a judgment."

Inman concurred. He thought the agency's draft was way out of line. "This reads like a brief for the defense," he said.

Casey also got a hot letter from DIA chief General Tighe complaining about the draft. Tighe believed, almost as an article of faith, that the Soviets were involved in terrorism even if it couldn't be proved. The Soviets loudly claimed they were not. To Tighe that was reason enough to conclude the opposite. Second, Tighe said, there is a serious counterintelligence problem: why believe the sources who said the Soviets were not involved? Didn't these sources have reason to distance themselves from the Soviets?

Casey liked Tighe's hard edge. This was not a court of law, and there was no reason to presume the Soviets innocent. Casey asked the General to have the DIA prepare its own draft. Tighe, pleased with the opportunity, put a hard-line DIA analyst on the case. Predictably, a draft that went to the other extreme soon emerged from the DIA.
(emphasis added)

So it seems where the CIA was reluctant to dirty the water, the DIA was more than willing to compensate.

But there's an interesting final twist to the story on page 131:

It turned out that a small part of Claire Sterling's information had come from an Italian press story on the Red Brigade. The story was part of an old, small-scale CIA covert propaganda operation. Sterling apparently had picked up some of it in her research. Domestic fallout, or replay of information in the United States, called "blowback," is one of the nightmares both for the CIA and for journalists, particularly when it receives wide attention or is disputed.

This snippet also illustrates, I believe, the limitations of Woodward's research. There's not a single mention here or anywhere in the book of P2, the Strategy of Tension, or Operation Gladio.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Huge thanks for that, man: Adam Curtis cited the Woodward anaecdote in a recent piece of his. Good to know the source was a limited hangout professional from ONI.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:08 pm wrote:Huge thanks for that, man: Adam Curtis cited the Woodward anaecdote in a recent piece of his. Good to know the source was a limited hangout professional from ONI.

Is this the Adam Curtis piece you're talking about? I tried googling "Adam Curtis Bob Woodward" and it's what came up at the top. No DIA stuff, but interesting OAS recap:

HOW TO KILL A RATIONAL PEASANT

Saturday 16 June 2012, 15:46

Adam Curtis

AMERICA'S DANGEROUS LOVE AFFAIR WITH COUNTERINSURGENCY

At the beginning of this year one of the weirdest characters ever to become involved in the present Afghan war died. He was called Jack Idema and he was a brilliant con-man. For a moment, during the early part of the war, Idema persuaded all the major TV networks and scores of journalists that he was some kind of special forces super-hero who was using all kinds of "black ops" to track down and arrest the terrorists.

In reality, before 2001, Idema had been running a hotel for pets in North Carolina called The Ultimate Pet Resort. He had been in prison for fraud, and had tried to con journalists before about being some kind of super-spy. But September 11th gave him his chance - and he turned up in Kabul dressed like this.

And everyone believed him and his stories. In the process Idema brilliantly exposed the emptiness and fakery of much of the TV and newspaper reporting of the war on terror.

He told the journalists and the TV presenters all kinds of lies and fantasies. He even became the central, heroic figure in a book called The Hunt for Bin Laden.

Then Idema charged journalists fortunes for what he said was an "al qaeda" video of a "a training camp" - where strangely many of the terrorists spoke in english, and allegedly you could hear Idema's voice on the soundtrack. Few of the journalists did anything to really check if any of what he was saying was true.

CBS did a special programme about the tapes fronted by Dan Rather, called "Heart of Darkness". They did check on the tapes - the producers went to some of the new breed of "terror experts" that were spawning after 2001. CBS's press office said that they "showed the tapes to three former British Special Forces officers, who verified the tactics being practiced in the video were consistent with those of Al Qaeda".

The BBC did a report that showed the tapes. And they travelled to the village where they had been recorded - and found an old man who said, yes there had been Arabs there.

But much later a number of journalists did investigate Jack Idema properly - and the consensus now is that the tapes are probably fakes.

Here is the original BBC news report

But then Jack Idema started to believe his own stories. He set up his own militia group that he called Task Force Sabre Seven - and he and his men went and arrested Afghans they were convinced were terrorists. And then he locked them up in his own private prison.

Things got out of hand in June 2004 when Idema arrested the Afghan Supreme Court judge, Maulawi Siddiqullah, because he believed he might be involved with terrorists. The judge later described what it was like in Idema's prison:

"The first night, around midnight, I heard the screams of four people. They then poured very cold water on me. I tried to keep myself from screaming, but coudn't. Then they played loud, strange music. Then they prevented me from going to the bathroom; a terrible situation. I was hooded for twelve days."

In July Afghan police raided Idema's house in Kabul and found what was described as a private torture chamber. Eight hooded men, including the judge, were incarcerated there, and three of them were hanging by their feet from the ceiling, with their heads hooded.

Idema and two others were put on trial - and sentenced to ten years in an Afghan jail. And all the journalists puffed a lot about how persuasive he had been.

Here is Idema during the trial - still trying to persuade the journalists that he is what he said he was. And how he is being set up by dark sinister forces.

But what is also interesting about Jack Idema is that in a strange way he may have been ahead of his time.

Because at the moment that Idema was entering his Afghan prison, a group of very senior US military men, led by a General called David Petraeus, were sitting down in a military staff college in Kansas and beginning to write a study that would completely transform the tactics of the US army in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

What General Petraeus and his team did was to go back into the past and exhume a theory of warfare that had been discredited by the US military who thought it was long buried and forgotten. It was called Counterinsurgency.

And out of that would allegedly come the same kind of arms-length, privatised interrogation and torture methods that Idema was indulging in.

I thought I would tell the history of how Counterinsurgency was invented, why it was discredited in America, and how it returned in 2007 to dominate and brutalise the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is a fascinating and weird story that is far odder than anything Jack Idema could have dreamt up - it involves Mao Zedong, John F Kennedy, French fascists, the attempted assassination of Charles De Gaulle, and strange Potemkin-style villages in Vietnam where women get pregnant for no discernible reason.

The theory of Counterinsurgency also had a terrible logic built into it that repeatedly led, from the 1950s onwards, to horror - torture, assassination and mass killing on a far wider scale than anything Jack Idema ever did in his house in Kabul.

The British military (and their associated wonks) like to think that it was Britain's colonial independence struggles in places like Malaya in the 1950s that gave birth to the idea of Counterinsurgency. But the Petraus team in 2006 thought differently. In the foreword to their study, called "FM 3-24 - Counterinsurgency" they point to an enigmatic and long-forgotten French military officer and thinker as their biggest inspiration. They say:

Of the many books that were influential in the writing of FM 3-24, perhaps none was as important as David Galula's 'Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice'.

David Galula is an absolutely fascinating figure.

He turns up everywhere in the second half of the 20th century in the wrong place at the right time - like revolutionary China and the Greek civil war in the 1940s, Indo-China in the early 50s, and above all in the French struggle in Algeria in the late 1950s.

In Algeria Galula conducted radical experiments in what was called "revolutionary warfare" - and in these experiments lie the key to understanding the strange revolutionary roots of the theory of Counterinsurgency - and why it could so easily go wrong and lead to horror.

David Galula was born in 1919 in one of the most important colonies of the French Empire - Tunisia. His family were rich merchants and in the 1930s Galula went to study at the prestigious St Cyr military college in France and rose rapidly.

Then, in 1946, Galula was sent to China as the assistant to the French Charge d'Affairs in Beijing. He arrived in the midst of the civil war being fought between the communists led by Mao Zedong and the Koumintang nationalists. A year later Galula went on a trip by himself into the interior and was captured by the communists and held for a week.

Although he was anti-communist, Galula was fascinated by the way the communists behaved towards the local people because it was different from any other troops he had seen. He began to study their tactics which were based on a theory of revolutionary guerrilla war that had been developed by Mao himself.

What Galula realised was that Mao had invented a completely new idea of how to fight a war. Put simply - there was no conventional army any longer, the new army were the millions of people the insurgents moved among. And there were no conventional victories any longer, victory instead was inside the heads of the millions of individuals that the insurgents lived among. If they could persuade the people to believe in their cause and to help them - then the conventional forces would always be surrounded - and would be defeated no matter how many traditional battles they won.

Mao explained the theory in a famous phrase:

"The guerrilla must move amongst the people as a fish swims in the sea"

Here is a picture of David Galula

Galula became convinced that if western armies were going to fight against these new revolutionary ideas they were going to have to change radically. And the way to do it, Galula decided, was to behave exactly the same as Mao's revolutionaries - to swim among the people.

Over the next eight years Galula moved around the world observing the bitter wars of liberation being fought in Greece, Malaya and in Indo China - and he saw how the French army was catastrophically defeated by the communist revolutionary army in Vietnam.

And in 1956 he volunteered to go and serve in Algeria where France was fighting a war against the guerrilla army of the National Liberation Front. Galula found that other officers had been thinking along the same lines - and he was allowed to go and set up what was called "An Experimental Operational Zone".

In a book Galula wrote about his Algerian experiment, that was going to become the bible of the Counterinsurgency movement, he said:

"I felt I had learned enough about insurgencies, and I wanted to test certain theories I had formed on counterinsurgency warfare."

Galula took a village that was in the centre of the insurgency and sent his men to live and work there among the population. The aim was to persuade the people of the village to turn away from the insurgents and thus rob them of their power. The way to do this, Galula said, was through psychological tactics - both by making the villagers feel that they would be safer with the French, but also through indoctrination into a new and modern way of thinking about the world.

If his soldiers and civilian advisers could do this, Galula believed, then the villagers would realise that the real way forward to a better life was not through the insurgents and their vicious tactics, but through the European vision of a new, modern democratic community created amid the harsh mountains of Algeria.

It was a highly idealistic vision - and in 1960 the BBC made a documentary about one of these experiments. It was a "protected village" high up in the Aures Mountains. Galula does not appear - but it is the area in which he was working and is clearly modelled on Galula's theories.

The reporter is the brilliant James Mossman. He was deeply involved in reporting the new wars of liberation that were breaking out round the world - and was no natural supporter of the colonial powers. But he portrays the experiment sympathetically:

"How deeply can the officers influence the minds of the young Algerians by these methods? The officers in charge of the new 'protected villages' make no secret of the fact that this is what they are trying to do. What started as a predominantly military-security operation has blossomed into a fully-blown social experiment"

But at the end Mossman states bluntly "It's all too late"

Here's the film

But there was another side to this Counterinsurgency theory. If you could persuade the local people to come over to your side - then that would leave the insurgents who lived among the people drastically weakened. And that meant you could destroy them.

But to do that you had to identify the insurgents - and that meant getting information from your new "friends" the local villagers. But sometimes they didn't want to give that kind of information, possibly because they were frightened, or they might even be an insurgent themselves, just pretending to be a villager.

And that led to the French soldiers finding ways to persuade the villagers to tell them who was an insurgent. It was called torture.

Here is part of a Panorama film made only two years later in the same Aures Mountain region that revealed some of the horror that had been going on in other of the "protected villages"

By 1962 the French President, de Gaulle had given Algeria its independence. The victorious FLN took power - and it's guerrilla army, the ALN, came out of the shadows, with a great slogan:

Independence is Only a Step. Revolution is our Goal

The Panorama film is a very weird piece of journalism. It treats the ALN like conquering heroes - and slaps an extraordinary piece of romantic music all over shots of them.

But it then shows what it says is the reality of the protected camps and villages that the local population had been put in for "re-education". As the commentary says, the reality was very different from that shown by the French to TV and newspaper correspondents while the war was on.

The film alleges that torture was used in the camps - and then it shows the revolutionaries unblocking an old well outside one of the villages and sending a young boy into the well to find out what is hidden down there.

Here is the section of the film.

There was a terrible paradox at the heart of the theory of Counterinsurgency. As formulated by people like Galula, the theory said that the colonial powers had to imitate the tactics of the revolutionary insurgents they were fighting. They had to become like a mirror that copied Mao Zedong's revolutionary theories - but in reverse, so they could pull the people away from the insurgents.

But what this also meant was that in effect the Europeans became copies of the insurgents - and that could so easily lead them to use some of the same terror tactics as their guerrilla enemy.

The paradox was that while this probably led to less deaths than pointless conventional battles - it also brought torture and murder and a copy of the terrorist mind-set into the heart of the European colonial armies.

This was expressed very powerfully in the film The Battle Of Algiers made in 1966 about the struggle against the insurgents in the Casbah in Algiers. They key figure is the French officer Lt Col Mathieu who comes in to separate out and destroy the FLN insurgents.

This is the scene in the script of the film where he elegantly and rationally argues the case for this logic of Counterinsurgency.

In the French military elite this ruthless extension of counterinsurgency was called "guerre revolutionaire" - or revolutionary war theory. And it captured the imagination of many of the leading officers fighting the war. But it was also going to have very strange consequences for France itself.

When President de Gaulle decided to give independence to Algeria, many of the senior French army officers who had been fighting the insurgents were furious. They believed it was a complete betrayal of everything they had been fighting for, and also of the thousands of French Algerians living in Algeria.

In their anger they set up their own clandestine organisation to try and stop de Gaulle. It was called the Organisation de L'Armee Secrete - the OAS - and among its leaders were some of the officers that had led the Counterinsurgency programme. But Galula himself was not among them.

The OAS was a terrorist organisation that between 1961 and 1962 created an intensely violent campaign of bombings and assassinations in both Algeria and France. At one point they exploded hundreds of bombs a day, killing innocent people, to try and force the FLN to resume their terrorist attacks and thus justify the return of French control.

They also tried to assassinate President de Gaulle five times.

Historians who have studied the OAS have argued that this terror campaign had many of its roots in the "black ops" and techniques of subversion that had been developed by the French military in their Counterinsurgency campaign against the insurgents in the late 1950s - techniques that they had come to believe in deeply.

One historian says that the descent of many of the French officers into...

"..the OAS's terror campaign is inexplicable without their faith in the magical qualities of the counterinsurgency theory"

What had begun as a reverse copy of Mao's revolutionary theories had now mutated into a form of revolutionary terror that was trying to bring down a major European political system.

Here are some of the reports of the time - they give a good sense of the fear and uncertainty that the OAS terror was spreading through France in the early 1960s. Many believed that the terrorism was destroying the very idea of democracy.

I have included an interview with Jean Baptiste Biaggi who was the leader of a fascist group called The Revolutionary Patriotic Party that had risen up out of the crisis. He talks of using revolutionary war to bring down the government - the same "guerre revolutionaire" that had been used in Algiers.

But David Galula had nothing to do with this horrific corruption of Counterinsurgency.

Instead, in the early 1960s, he went to America to spread his idealistic vision of the theory among the US military elite. And the reason he was invited was because an ambitious young Senator had become fascinated with the whole notion of how to fight the spread of communism around the world in a new, revolutionary way. He was John F Kennedy.
(emphasis added)

Counterinsurgency ideas had first reached America in the form of a best-selling novel. It was called The Ugly American and was published in 1958. It told the story of how communism was spreading through SE Asia - helped on its way by the stupid, arrogant behaviour of the Americans there.

But the hero of the novel - an American engineer called Homer Atkins - behaves differently. He goes and works in local villages to help the local people develop and modernise. Then an American military officer points out that what Atkins is doing is exactly the same as Mao's revolutionary theories set out to do - "win the minds and the hearts" of the local people.

The Ugly American was a runaway bestseller and was later made into a film starring Marlon Brando.

Senator John Kennedy was gripped by The Ugly American. In 1960 he and five other opinion leaders bought a large advertisement in the New York Times saying that they had sent copies of the novel to every US senator because its message was so important.

And on January 18th 1961 - two days before taking office as President - Kennedy set up the new Special Group, Counterinsurgency in the Pentagon - SGCI, led by a powerful General.

But there was only one problem - it couldn't find any real Counterinsurgency experts in America.

So David Galula was invited over by the American military as one of the few people who knew what the new President was on about - and had even written a book about it. And in April 1962 Galula was one of the main guests at a now legendary symposium on Counterinsurgency held by the RAND Corporation military think tank.

All sorts of people were there - like Lt. Col. Frank Kitson who had led the British struggle against insurgents in Malaya, and the mysterious American Colonel Edward Lansdale who was involved in attempts to overthrow Castro in Cuba, and was fascinated by communist theories of revolutionary war.

Galula was the star guest and he got up to speak first. To begin with he put forward his fundamental theory.

"Revolutionary warfare requires a revolutionary approach on both sides in the struggle. Whereas in ordinary war the objective is to destroy the enemy and occupy his territory, the guerrilla's aim is to control the population.

This, therefore, must be the aim of the counter-guerrilla as well"

But then Galula put the boot in to the aspiring counter-insurgents. Whether it was due to his disenchantment with what had happened in Algeria is not clear - but Galula laid out the central problem for the counterinsurgents when they tried to mirror the communist revolutionaries - they didn't have a cause:

"One basic difference between insurgency and counterinsurgency is that the insurgent starts out with nothing but a cause and grows to strength, while counterinsurgent often starts with everything but a cause and gradually declines in strength to the point of weakness"

So the RAND corporation decided to find something equivalent to a cause, powerful enough to bring the villagers in SE Asia over to the American side.

Up to this point RAND had been exclusively dealing with the tactics of nuclear warfare, but in the mid 60s it turned its attention to counterinsurgency - or what they started calling COIN. And very quickly there was a furious debate within the think tank.

The traditionalists argued that you stuck with the Hearts and Minds approach - or what they now called HAM. But others said that this never worked because the Americans didn't have as powerful a vision to offer the peasants as the communist revolutionaries did. They didn't have a romantic picture of creating a new world.

The solution, they said, was to fuse counterinsurgency with modern economic theory - above all the theory of the free market - and treat the villagers as "rational actors" in an economic system. You didn't offer them a vision, or a cause, instead you gave them "selective incentives" to co-operate with the government, plus disincentives to stop them resisting.

One of the men behind this new approach was an economist at RAND called Charles Wolfe Jr. Here he is in 1965 - looking like an economist.

The new theory was called:

"The Cost/Benefit-Coercion theory of Counterinsurgency"

It still believed in Galula's theory of putting the local population into protected villages and making them feel safe. But it gave up on worrying about what was in the villagers heads and treated them instead as self-interested "rational actors" who would respond in more or less predictable ways to incentives - and to disincentives.

It was best summarised in a later book written by another economist called Samuel Popkin all about the cost/benefit calculations of Vietnamese peasants. It was called "The Rational Peasant"

In some ways the shift that happened in Counterinsurgency theory was a picture in microcosm of the much wider shift that was going to happen to all Western societies over the next thirty years. Politicians would give up on the idea that politics was about inspiring the people - and giving them a vision of changing the world. Instead the politicians would adopt the ideas, and the language, of economics, and turn to treating their population as individuals who could simply be incentivised and disincentivised by appealing to their self-interest. You didn't change society any longer - you managed it.

But when this new hybrid theory of counterinsurgency was applied in South Vietnam in the 1960s it didn't work out the way it was intended. To begin with it led to absurdity. And then, just like in Algeria, it led to horror.

Here is part of a film made in 1969 which brilliantly illustrates the absurdity. It is about a South Vietnamese village called Bin Hao - which was held up by the Americans as the model of a pacified village, an example of how their theory and its use of incentives was really working.

But then the Americans discover that the village that their theory has created isn't at all what it appears to be. Their worries begin when many of the women become pregnant - yet there seems to be only old men in the village. And then they discover something much worse.

I have also put at the front of the film a wonderful couple of minutes of two civilian "advisers" in Vietnam playing a board game called "Insurgency". It had been designed by one of the team to express and test out their theories. It sets the weird context for the even stranger reality that then follows.

But, just as in Algeria, the counterinsurgency programme had its own logic that led to torture and murder.

The aim of the protected villages and all the incentives was to separate the population from the insurgents. The next objective was to destroy the insurgents - and to do this the CIA set up what they called The Phoenix Programme.

One of the men in charge was another RAND theorist called Robert Komer. He knew David Galula and had read his books, but he took a rather tougher approach which was summarised by his nick name - "Blowtorch Bob".

Here is a picture of Blowtorch Bob briefing President Johnson on the sort of things he is up to.

What Komer and the others who ran the Phoenix programme did was set up camps to train Vietnamese militias - drawn from the rational peasants. Their job was going to be to root out and kill the communist insurgents. Following the counterinsurgency theory, the militias were direct copies of the communist cadres.

But also - following the economic model - they were to be incentivised. They were given money for killing Vietcong, twenty pounds for a village official, thirty for a district officer.

In a really good documentary made in the 1990s about the Phoenix Programme, Robert Komer appears. He is a great character - and he is absolutely blunt about what his aim was with the militias:

"We would use the Vietcong techniques to beat them. They conducted a terror campaign, so I thought we had to conduct a counter-terror campaign to kill the VC assassins. And we did."

Another of the architects of the Phoenix Programme, who is interviewed, was Nelson Brickham. He was a devotee of David Galula's ideas and he took Galula's books everywhere he went in South Vietnam. He claims in the film to have been "the conceptual father of the Phoenix Programme" - and says that it worked well.

But others involved have now changed their mind. The film shows, with first hand testimony, how that counter-terror campaign ran out of control. Men who directed the campaign for the CIA say that in essence it led them to become terrorists themselves.

Here is that section of the film with Blowtorch Bob and the other Americans telling what happened.

There is a strong counter-argument to these criticisms. It simply says - so what? In war killing happens, and a programme of targeted assassination certainly killed far fewer civilians than the horrific indiscriminate bombing by America's conventional forces.

But the documentary goes on to show how the Phoenix programme created something much worse - which it was powerless both to understand or to stop.

The Rational Peasant approach looked at Vietnam as a society of millions of self-seeking rational individuals. In reality, Vietnamese society was far more complicated. Extended families had tangled and intricate histories of relationships - some were friendly but many were driven by rivalries and hatreds.

As the film makes clear this had created a powerful tradition of violent retribution in Vietnamese society - and it goes on to show how some of the militias that the Americans had created used the free rein their masters gave them, to kill and torture not communists, but other, innocent civilians against whom they had long-standing grudges or hatreds.

One CIA officer describes how he found that the local police chief was using their programme's safe house to torture and carve up people who didn't have the right family protection.

An innocent Vietnamese woman who was tortured describes how the Americans just stood and watched.

It shows the terrible limitations of the economic model of society. The Americans were helpless because their militias would assure them that the people they were torturing were communists.

And when you look at everyone as simply a "rational actor" you have no way of knowing whether they were telling you the truth or not.

After such experiences in Vietnam the whole idea of Counterinsurgency in the American military was discredited. It was buried away and forgotten.

It was replaced in the 1980s by what was called the Powell-Weinberger doctrine. This said that the US should only get involved with a conflict where there are clear objectives and it can use overwhelming force.

But after the invasion of Iraq in 2003 the Americans became bogged down in a new guerrilla war. And so - in 2006 - General David Petraus' team dug up Counterinsurgency again. They took David Galula's ideas and made them the central architecture for a new idea of how to rescue Iraq from the horror that had engulfed it since the invasion of 2003.

At the beginning of 2007 Petraeus was given 20,000 extra troops - and he used them to create a counterinsurgency campaign in Iraq modelled on Galula's theories from the 1950s.

And Galula's central idea - copied from Mao Zedong's revolutionary theory of warfare - that you swim among the people like a fish in water, became the driving idea behind "The Surge".

Here are some unedited rushes recorded in July 2007 - they follow General Petraeus visiting Baqubah -which had been one of the most vicious battlegrounds of the insurgency. General Petraeus shows the BBC reporter John Simpson how the surge is working. As Petraeus talks you can hear the ghost of Galula and his ideas. It is just like the French officer showing a BBC reporter around The Experimental Zone high up in the Aures Mountains fifty years before.

But - just like in Algeria - there were also suspicions about what might be really happening. That the Iraqi army and police were also involved in sectarian killing under the cover of the surge.

John Simpson is a very good reporter - and he knows this and asks the sharp question of the local commander that Petraeus is visiting. The officer's response is, to put it mildly, a bit naive.

And there were other suspicions about the Iraq Surge of 2007. That there was something far more violent and sinister behind it than the simple Hearts and Minds approach.

In his book - The War Within - the reporter Bob Woodward challenges the myth of the surge. He says bluntly:

"The truth is that other factors were as or even more important than the Surge.

Beginning in about May 2006 the US military and intelligence agencies launched a series of TOP SECRET operations that enabled them to locate, target and kill key individuals in extremist groups

The operations, which were part of Special Compartmented Information (SCI) incorporated some of the most highly classified techniques and information in the US government"

Then, rather strangely for an investigative journalist, Woodward becomes very coy. He says:

"Senior military officers and officials at the White House have asked me not to publish the details or the code word names associated with these ground-breaking programs. They argue that the publication of the names alone might lead to the unravelling of state secrets.....

But a number of authoritative sources say these covert activities had a far-reaching effect on the violence and were very possibly the biggest factor in reducing it. Several said that 85-90% of the successful operations and 'actionable intelligence' 'had come from these new sources, methods and operations."

The words 'actionable intelligence' are a bit opaque - but they do imply that there was, just like in Algeria and in Vietnam, a large-scale programme of targeted assassination.

There have also been claims made that, again just like in Vietnam, the Americans gave over much of the operation of the programme to the local militias that they had trained. In this case these were the predominantly Shia Iraqi army and police. And these Iraqis, it is alleged, then hi-jacked the programme and used it to torture and assassinate their Sunni enemies on a wide scale.

There has been little reporting of this, but the Rolling Stone journalist Michael Hastings has just written a brilliant and fascinating book called The Operators. It is about the man who commanded the Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq - General McChrystal. JSOC's job was to run the special units involved in hunting down and assassinating the insurgents, In the book Hastings describes what seems to have happened:

"Behind the scenes, McChrystal, operating his own Phoenix-like Special Ops program, wipes out "thousands," according to McChrystal's deputy, Major General Bill Mayville, noting that "JSOC was a killing machine.".......................

The COINdistas strive to prove the surge strategy is an enlightened form of combat - "graduate level of war" as the manual FM 3-24 calls Counterinsurgency. But the reality on the ground is dark and not very reminiscent of graduate school.

Petraeus and his allies decide to team up with a Shiite Islamist government, picking the majority's side in a civil war. The Americans themselves round up tens of thousands of youg Iraqi males. The Iraqi army and police, fully funded and trained by the US military, conduct a campaign of torture and killing, assassinating suspected enemies and abusing Sunnis with electric shocks and power drills, with entire units being used as death squads. The Sunnis respond in kind.

The American response to this campaign, as the New York Times would later note, was an 'institutional shrug'."

Very much the response of a Rational Peasant.

In June 2007 Jack Idema was suddenly, and rather mysteriously, freed early by President Karzai.

He went off to live in a house in Mexico and ran a charter boat for tourists. He had a new girlfriend called Penny who had corresponded with him while he was in prison in Afghanistan. Then last year he fell ill, and died in January this year of AIDS-related complications.

After his death Penny described how in his in time in Mexico Idema got lost in the different personas he was playing. For the tourists on the charter boat he played the role of what he called "Captain Black Jack". Idema modelled this on the character of Jack Sparrow played by Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean.

But at home Idema dressed up in Arab Robes - like Lawrence of Arabia - drank heavily, took cocaine and continuously played Arab music, the soundtrack to Apocalypse Now, and What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong.

And David Petraeus is tipped by some to be the next US president but one.

There's a comment at the link about Woodward's being ex-Naval Intelligence. Yours?
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Next

Return to General Discussion