Bridge Over Big Fat Ego

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bridge Over Big Fat Ego

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am

if you'd like to know what Bridget Gate is ALL about.........about a BILLION DOLLARS! :)

In the 1970s, former Mayor Burt Ross was forced to enter the Witness Protection Program after informing the FBI that a developer with mob-ties, Arthur Sutton, and his associate, Joey Diaco, attempted to bribe him with $500,000 into approving their project. In the 1980s, New York billionaires Leona and Harry Helmsley wanted to build four high-rises on the land, but plans were scrapped when Leona had to serve time in prison for tax evasion. More recently, Town & Country LLC had its project approved by the Fort Lee Planning Board but defaulted on its mortgage, and Tucker Development Corp. took over the western half of the property in 2008.

The property “has had a history second to none,” Mayor Mark Sokolich said Wednesday. “That history ends today.”

that history ends today.....think that one again

Groundbreaking marks start of Fort Lee project

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2012 LAST UPDATED: THURSDAY OCTOBER 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
BY LINH TAT

FORT LEE — A project hailed by its supporters as an “iconic gateway” into Bergen County and one that will redefine New Jersey’s skyline broke ground Wednesday, shepherding in a new chapter in the history of a property that has lain dormant for more than 40 years, marred by tales of poor planning and corruption.

From left, Bergen County Executive Kathleen Donovan; Matt Ascher, Northwestern Mutual; Cathy Marcus, Prudential Real Estate Investors; Steve Pozycki, SJP residential properties, Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich; Allen Goldman, SJP residential properties; David
A rendering of The Modern complex in Fort Lee.

Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates LLC — the developer for one-half of the borough’s largest redevelopment effort to date — took a historic step toward building Bergen County’s tallest structures: two 47-story glass-encased luxury residential towers that will soar to 498 feet. The approximately half-billion-dollar project will also include a restaurant, 1.75-acre public park, three-screen movie theater, museum and snack kiosk.

“I feel like we’ve just reached the summit of Mount Everest after a long, hard climb,” said Allen Goldman, president of SJP Residential Properties, the managing partner of Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates. He predicted the project, once called The Center at Fort Lee but now renamed The Modern, “will forever change the borough of Fort Lee and the skyline of New Jersey.”

The Modern makes up the eastern half of a 16-acre downtown mixed-use project south of the George Washington Bridge. The redevelopment area is bounded by Bruce Reynolds Boulevard, Central Road, Main Street and Lemoine Avenue. The western half, called Hudson Lights, will be developed by Illinois-based Tucker Development Corp., and will feature approximately 175,000 square feet of shops and restaurants, 477 residential units and a 175-room hotel.

Redevelopment Area 5 is expected to be an economic boon for the borough, with annual tax revenues projected to exceed $10 million, though critics worry about traffic congestion and increased overcrowding in the schools as a result of new residents.

And Fair Share Housing Center, Inc. sued the developer, borough and Fort Lee Planning Board in June, saying the latter was wrong to approve some 900 residential units without specifying how many would be affordable housing. A state Superior Court judge dismissed the case in August, saying it was a matter for the state Council on Affordable Housing. The council is currently reviewing similar objections that Fair Share Housing filed with the state agency prior to the judge dismissing the complaint.

Previous developers attempted to build on the land but flopped due to poor planning, bad financing, and corruption.

In the 1970s, former Mayor Burt Ross was forced to enter the Witness Protection Program after informing the FBI that a developer with mob-ties, Arthur Sutton, and his associate, Joey Diaco, attempted to bribe him with $500,000 into approving their project. In the 1980s, New York billionaires Leona and Harry Helmsley wanted to build four high-rises on the land, but plans were scrapped when Leona had to serve time in prison for tax evasion. More recently, Town & Country LLC had its project approved by the Fort Lee Planning Board but defaulted on its mortgage, and Tucker Development Corp. took over the western half of the property in 2008.

The property “has had a history second to none,” Mayor Mark Sokolich said Wednesday. “That history ends today.”

He and other elected officials and project team members drove golden shovels into the dirt in a ceremonial groundbreaking at 12:55 p.m.

Among them was Councilman Armand Pohan, who was the borough attorney in the 1970s when Ross was mayor. Given the many false starts associated with the property, Pohan has consistently been guarded in his optimism. But this week, he expressed hope that the latest proposed project will come to fruition. Unlike past developers that failed, Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates has secured the financing it needed. Prudential Real Estate Investors and The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co. are equity partners in the project, and PNC Bank and Wells Fargo Bank are the construction lenders.

If completed, the project will be Fort Lee’s largest development since the 1960s, when the six high-rises that make up the Horizon House cooperative apartment complex was built on 32 acres. Goldman has said he expects tenants to move into the first residential tower by fall 2014. The second tower should be complete in 2015 or 2016.

Is a Billion Dollar Development Project at the Heart of Bridgegate?

BRIAN MURPHY – JANUARY 12, 2014, 5:23 PM EST15422

This morning I was a guest on MSNBC’s “Up With Steve Kornacki” where Steve Kornacki offered up some new reporting on the September 2013 George Washington Bridge closures. (See segment #1 and segment #2) After that segment Steve had me offer some context regarding the politics of real estate development in New Jersey in general and in this case in particular.

I helped Steve out with the reporting on this segment and hope you digest both clips. He and I are in the unique position of having worked for one of the central figures in this still-developing scandal, David Wildstein, one of Chris Christie’s appointees at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Prior to that, David had been the pseudonymous editor of a political news website in N.J. called PoliticsNJ.com. I worked there in 2002, and Steve succeeded me from 2002-2005. Neither of us knew Wildstein’s true identity while we were reporting for the site. Speaking for myself, I found him to be an excellent editor. He always had sources to suggest on a story, let me report it wherever it led, and always had my back. He never let me down. Steve, I am sure, would say the same.

So far, we’ve learned a lot about the consequences of the traffic tie-ups orchestrated in Fort Lee by Wildstein and a now-fired deputy chief of staff in Christie’s office. Commutes were made hellishly long, school buses were snarled in traffic for hours, and EMS responders were held up for so long that some calls were answered on foot. All because two of the three toll lanes that usually serve one on-ramp in Fort Lee, on the New Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge, had been closed. Merging that traffic into just one toll lane caused cars to stack up on the ramp, then onto the approaching streets, then onto side streets, until eventually Fort Lee, the town that hosts the west side of the bridge, was completely clogged.

The unanswered question in this story has been “why?”

Why did deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly text David Wildstein on the morning of August 13 that it was “time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee”? Why did Wildstein already know enough about this plot to simply reply “Got it.”?

The explanation that’s been offered so far is that Governor Chris Christie, a Republican, was so obsessed with portraying himself as bipartisan in advance of a 2016 presidential run that he wanted to lock up as many local Democratic endorsements as possible during his gubernatorial campaign. The story is that the mayor of Fort Lee, Mark Sokolich, refused his request, and Christie’s people punished him, and his hometown, as an act of retribution.

For obvious reasons, this explanation is deeply unsatisfying. Mayor Sokolich can’t recall being asked for an endorsement – at least not with any pressure – and Governor Christie has claimed that he couldn’t pick Mayor Sokolich out of a lineup. Moreover, it seems unlikely that so many top aides and appointees would spend so much time and energy, and put themselves in so much legal jeopardy, to punish one mayor for not giving them an endorsement they hadn’t really pushed to get.

So if not that, what?

When I left PoliticsNJ.com for graduate school in history at the University of Virginia, I left with a keen understanding of the power and influence wielded by independent authorities and agencies in state and federal government. I ended up writing a PhD dissertation about banks and infrastructure projects in New York during the early republic, a project I’m in the final stages of turning into a book. Nowadays I teach at Baruch College at the City University of New York.

So, when I look at the George Washington Bridge, here’s what I see:

At the top of the photo you see the on-ramp to the GWB. And those two big empty parcels of land… what’s going on there?

Let me tell you.

If you’ve seen Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich mention a “billion dollar redevelopment” going on in his town during his media appearances, you might think that he’s just bragging about some political accomplishment. Something he cares about, but that you don’t need to worry about. Yet those two pieces of land are where that billion dollar project, a commercial, residential and business complex called “Hudson Lights,” is being built.

Now consider the project’s proximity to the bridge. When we think about transportation infrastructure, we usually think only about the ‘thing’ being built: the bridge, tunnel, rail line, road, etc. But those projects have value because they connect things. They’re built because they allow people and goods to move, and they can dramatically increase the utility and value of the properties they connect. The Erie Canal did this in the early republic. Then the railroad. Then the subway, the highway, the airport.

The Hudson Lights project is a billion dollar project because it offers unparalleled access to the George Washington Bridge. But take away that access and it’s no longer a billion dollar project.

Mark Sokolich knew this back in September when the toll lanes from Fort Lee had been cut from three down to one. He asked Port Authority Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni on September 12: “what do I do when our billion dollar development is put on line at the end of next year?”

He begged Baroni to respond. He gave him two office numbers and his home and cell number. Baroni gave him silence.

This is the first mention of Hudson Lights in the documents released so far under the NJ Assembly Committee subpoena directing Wildstein to produce all materials related to the GWB closures.

We know that because of its location, the long-term viability of this project could be threatened by any permanent changes to the GWB toll lanes that negatively impacted the on-ramp adjacent to the site.

But something else was going on here during these weeks in August and September that hadn’t been discussed until today’s show.

On August 15, two days after the go was given to cause traffic problems in Fort Lee, Mayor Sokolich and the Fort Lee town council held a meeting during which the redevelopment project’s contract was discussed. We don’t know what happened, as it was a closed session. But one week later, on August 22, the mayor was authorized by the council to finalize documents relating to how one phase of the redevelopment was to be financed.

In other words, even though the permits were in place, the zoning approvals were done, the designs were finished, there was one last thing to lock down: the money.

When we look back at ribbon cuttings and ceremonial openings of big things – I always think back to the Erie Canal – it can seem like those projects were inevitable. Of course, they aren’t. Nothing is in place until everything is in place. And what we now realize, from looking at documents hidden in plain sight, is that the financing for Mark Sokolich’s legacy project wasn’t in place yet. Moreover, the most crucial weeks that would decide whether this project would be capitalized are coincident with the weeks between when the traffic shut-down was ordered and when the traffic shut-down was lifted. It was only after Port Authority Executive Director Patrick Foye learned of Baroni and Wildstein’s shenanigans that the financing was finally sewn up. In fact, it was the very first business day after the lanes were re-opened that the developers announced they’d raised $218 million. A Bergen Record story about the funding said that the groundbreaking had been pushed back “because of a combination of factors…including nailing down financing as well as lining up a high-profile tenant.”

I find it hard to believe that would-be investors in this project weren’t alarmed by the prospect that Port Authority officials had decided, without warning, to begin running experiments to see what would happen if local access to the GWB was temporarily, and then permanently, restricted. And in light of Mayor Sokolich’s first question to Chris Christie during their face-to-face meeting in Fort Lee this past week, asking the governor to promise not to exact revenge on Fort Lee for the trouble this scandal is causing, it seems even more significant that the governor was musing about making permanent changes in public during his December 2 press conference in Trenton. The cat was completely out of the bag on whether there had been a legitimate “traffic study,” and yet the governor persisted in characterizing the allocation of toll lanes as something that gave an unfair benefit to Fort Lee at the expense of the rest of the human race. Even in December, it seemed, Fort Lee and this project still faced a threat.

When you realize that infrastructure and development projects are extensions of politics – things that partisans get involved with when they’re not running election campaigns – then you realize that places like the Port Authority and projects like Hudson Lights can be seen as legitimate venues for political appointees and operatives to extract favors and enforce discipline. We like to think that by creating an agency we formalize and professionalize the activities that agency handles, like, say, running the GWB and the Lincoln Tunnel. But these are inherently political animals, and they are always at risk of being misused for narrowly partisan purposes. After all, the tolls collected on the bridges and tunnels don’t go to pay for payroll and paving alone; they’re used to underwrite bonds for bigger capital projects. The Port Authority spent $25 billion on such projects since 2002; about a third of that has gone toward rebuilding the World Trade Center, leaving just under $16 billion for everything else. That’s a pile of money just too big to ignore, and the inherent power it vests in the top brass of the Port Authority means that they’re not just ordinary political appointees. They’re political entrepreneurs, always looking for new ways to get in on new deals and make things happen for their bosses.

I think that begins to get at what was going on here. We now know that a major redevelopment project, one that depends on Port Authority assets and relationships, was put in jeopardy at a vulnerable financial moment, and in a way that put the viability of the entire project at risk.

But we still don’t know why. This batch of subpoenaed documents isn’t going to tell us, and the people who know – who really know – either aren’t talking or haven’t yet been questioned.

Governor Christie told us in December that he had a talk with his top appointee at the Port Authority, Chairman David Samson, about the number of toll lanes allocated to the Fort Lee on-ramp. Clearly it’s time to find out why they were having that chat in the first place and if they were ever aware that there was a billion dollars at stake, just a few steps away from where the governor joked, “I moved the cones.”

Made man: Malibu resident recalls spurning goodfellas
Malibu resident Burt Ross, 69, made national headlines when he turned down a $500,000 bribe from the Mafia as a young New Jersey mayor nearly 40 years ago.

Malibu resident recalls turning down bribe
Malibu resident Burt Ross, seen here in the early 1970s wearing a bulletproof vest after he turned members of the Mafia into police for attempting to bribe him with $500,000.

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:00 pm
By Ed Kamen / Special to The Malibu Times | 1 comment
In 1974, the Mafia made Burt Ross an offer he couldn’t refuse.
He said no.
Ross not only lived to tell about it, but he aided in an investigation, as well as giving damning testimony in court, that led to the prosecution of seven New Jersey gangsters. All that, while being a first-term mayor of one of the most corrupt cities in America.
“Life twists and turns in ways you just can’t predict,” Ross said, speaking at a special event at Pepperdine University Wednesday. Speaking publicly about the incident for the first time in 10 years, Ross also discussed “The Bribe,” the book his brother, Philip, wrote in 1976 about the case.
In 1971, Ross was a Harvard-educated stockbroker with a law degree from New York University. But he was restless. At a fund-raising event, Ross said he was approached to run for mayor of Fort Lee, N.J., not far from his hometown of Teaneck.
“This was no plum job,” he said. “I was to be a sacrificial lamb. Democrats don’t win in Fort Lee. End of story.”
But with a young, dedicated campaign team, which included his brother, he shocked the political establishment and won in a landslide, even though Republicans outnumbered Democrats two-to-one. At 28, he was the youngest mayor in the United States.
Fort Lee, just across the George Washington Bridge from Manhattan, was known for two things: It was one of the most densely populated cities in America and, “It was a favorite place for gangsters to live and play,” Ross said.
“I wanted something to get rid of the boredom,” he added. “And being mayor is anything but boring. I learned quickly that it’s one thing to run for office, it’s another to serve.”
Replacing the old political machine with young, idealistic staffers, Ross’ administration quickly passed landmark rent-regulation legislation. Ross also rooted out the corruption around him— exposing the city tax collector as a tax evader and ousting the police chief, who shamelessly cavorted with known underworld figures.
But those accomplishments would become secondary once a developer named Arthur Sutton proposed a massive, three-million-square-foot, $250 million regional shopping center in the heart of Fort Lee. Ross was against it.
One fateful night in May 1974 came a knock on Ross’ front door. Standing before him was a man who called himself “Joey D.”
“He was straight out of central casting,” said Ross, “right down to his pinkie ring.”
Joey D. wanted a vote delayed on necessary variances by the board of adjustment the following day. Ross said there was nothing he could do. First, Joey D. offered Ross $100,000 to delay the vote, but when Ross balked, he upped it to $500,000. Ross refused. Not even the gun in the gangster’s belt could change his mind.
What Ross did do was contact law enforcement. The district attorney’s office was skeptical. This was the era of Watergate and rampant political corruption on all levels. “They never had anyone come forward like that,” Ross recalled. “They weren’t prepared.
“I was caught between a rock and a hard place, between a desperate mobster and a disbelieving district attorney.”
But after another visit from an even more threatening Joey D.—Joey Diaco, a well-known crime figure—the FBI entered the picture and made Ross an offer of their own. It was one he had been urging himself from the beginning: Tape their conversations.
Wearing a listening device in his belt, and watched by undercover FBI agents, Ross met with Sutton and Diaco at a restaurant. The wire got it all.
Still, it took another 13 days and another nerve-wracking meeting before the FBI made arrests, seven in all. Little did Ross know, that was just the beginning.
The mayor of Fort Lee was forced to go into hiding as the FBI put together its case and he was able to testify in court and end the ordeal. Even after his return to his mayoral duties, Ross had around-the-clock protection and even wore a bullet-proof vest.
“Actually, the scariest thing was the protection,” he said of his gun-toting bodyguards.
In the end, the seven were convicted and sentenced to five years in prison, although a later judge reduced the sentences to six months.
Ross, who moved to Malibu a year ago with his wife, Joan, in order to be closer to their children, left politics after his one term of office was completed, although he did have an unsuccessful run at a congressional primary in 1980.
But after all these years, the 69-year-old Ross doesn’t flinch when asked if he’d do anything differently, like maybe taking the money.
“I think I did it instinctively,” he said of his refusal. “I didn’t like being told what to do.”

1/09/2014
Random Observations on Chris Christie's Epically Long Press Conference:
1. Just for shits and giggles, let's take Christie at his word at his press conference answering questions about his staff's involvement in limiting access to the George Washington Bridge as political retribution against the mayor of Fort Lee, New Jersey. Let's believe everything he said (even though he said he had just heard about the scandal at 8:50 the previous morning and insisted twice that he had lost sleep over two nights which, unless he's living some kind of Groundhog's Day, isn't possible unless he knew that something was going to break, in which case his whole press conference was a lie, but, still, let's pretend, shall we?).

Even looking at what he said in the most generous light possible, what we're left with is a governor who, by his own admission, has surrounded himself with people who are dishonest, who prefers to remain ignorant about problems, who is more concerned with personal betrayal and hurt feelings than public consequences, and who is out of touch with the day-to-day operations of his own government. In other words, he's all bluster and no substance, an incompetent boob. In otherer words, he reached under his gut, took out his tiny penis, and fucked himself in front of the press. In otherest words, the round man waved bye-bye to the Oval Office.

2. But what he said was actually a pretty disturbing portrait of rampant narcissism, as is Christie's way. There was Christie presenting himself as the poor fool, the victim of a lying woman (with its underlying implication of "C'mon, everyone. Bitches be crazy"). He said of Bridget Kelley, "I've terminated her employment because she lied to me." And for no other reason. That's fucked up right there. The sin wasn't mucking up the traffic of the busiest bridge in the United States for some phantom political game. It wasn't delaying ambulances, police, and school buses. No, it was that she lied to Sultan Christie.

Is that too far? Look at the transcript. No less than a half dozen times does Christie refer to Kelly's "lies." And Christie said he didn't ask Kelly why she conspired with David Wildstein to screw the entry lanes to the GWB from Fort Lee because she might be called to testify before a legislative committee? No, fuck that. Again, taking him at his word, you don't ask because you don't want to know.

3. Advice to Chris Christie: When there's ample video evidence, recorded proudly by your own staff, of you being a bully, don't say, "I am not a bully."

4. Advice to Chris Christie, Part 2: Stop giving civics lessons in your press conferences. Yeah, we fuckin' get it. "Politics ain't bean bag" or however the fuck you wanna put it. Really, fucko? We delicate pussies would have never figured that out without you informing us. Oh, and without watching TV news once during our lives.

5. Advice to Chris Christie, Part 3: Yeah, you may have 65,000 state employees. But you don't have that many in your own office. So just stop equating your deputy chief of staff with the poor schlub inputting mailed-in tax forms in some basement office in Newark. You know what Kelly's job was. Or see #1.

6. Advice to Chris Christie, Part 4: In general, stop pretending you don't know people. Port Authority official Wildstein? Mark Sokolich, the mayor of Fort Lee? Dude, Sokolich backed you on a couple of things. He's one of those Democrats you always tout as making you so glori-fucking-fied bipartisan. There's a photo of you with him. He was elected and reelected at the same time as you. You look like the liar you are when you say such things.

7. And what the fuck exactly is the atmosphere in the governor's office if your minions feel free to do such fuckery?

8. What the Rude Pundit didn't hear amid the apologies and the "Buck stops with me, but, you know, I was lied to, but, sure, the buck stops with me, even though, hey, I was lied to" was Christie saying that anyone should be investigated for possible criminal charges, like misuse of government funds, for starters. We already know what David Wildstein will do under oath: take the Fifth so he doesn't, well, shit, incriminate himself. Someone's gonna be offered immunity and a deal, which leads to...

9. Yesterday, the Rude Pundit said what he thought happened to make the bridge debacle possible. But he's calling "bullshit" on the whole press conference. He's calling "bullshit" on Christie's whole internal investigation, which looks like it'll have the same momentum as OJ Simpson looking for the "real" killers. It was an act of political preservation, delivered with braggadocio and pomposity ("Look how good I am at apologizing"). As such, it'll fool the idiots and the simpering reporters who laughed at Christie's exasperated jokes.

But, somewhere not so very far away, Hillary Clinton just started shifting strategy to how she'll defeat Rand Paul in the general.

5 reasons Chris Christie might be lying
Applying the techniques of lie detection to Christie's press conference yields some very interesting results
AMY PUNT

“I am embarrassed and humiliated by the conduct of some of the people on my team,” New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said during his press conference on Jan. 9 regarding the George Washington Bridge scandal. “I am who I am, but I am not a bully.” While he worked hard in the nearly two-hour press conference to dispel any rumors of his involvement, many have already noted that Christie’s speech was more remarkable for the questions it didn’t answer than for the ones it did.

Left looming is: How could a man like Christie not know that his deputy chief of staff ordered lane closures on the George Washington Bridge? And how does a former U.S. Attorney, with his eye on a 2016 presidential campaign, not ask follow-up questions when told the closures were a result of a traffic test?

How indeed?

Most people feel it’s relatively easy to spot a liar, and judging by the media coverage on this scandal, many people feel that Christie is lying, but without a smoking gun, i.e. damning emails or personal testimony from his staff or the Port Authority, it’s hard to prove.

But his press conference itself may offer some insights. In “Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception,” author Pamela Meyer asserts that only when we step back from someone’s words to view the whole picture can we begin to see the combination of indicators that will help us successfully identify a liar. She writes:

After listening closely to the details of someone’s speech, take a mental step back to consider what the combination of his facial expressions, body language, and verbal clues says about his attitude toward being questioned. Attitude is a crucial indicator.

Is the subject interested in helping you solve a problem or answer a question? Is he forthright or evasive? How confidently does he speak? A deceptive person might be guarded and hesitant to firmly acknowledge or deny anything you suggest about his actions or behavior. A truthful person will cooperate from the start and will signal that he is on your side.

But what if that person is an expert at identifying liars? And what if that person knows how to look like he’s telling the truth? As a former lawyer, Christie would be a master at it. In his speech he went out of his way to make the listener feel he was just as surprised as anyone and that he was going to do everything in his power to get to the bottom of the lane closures. But closer examination of what he said and what he didn’t say offers a very different picture.

While liespotting isn’t an exact science, and there are always exceptions, knowing how to identify certain telltale behaviors can provide some very interesting clues. Below, five mistakes Christie made in his press conference that may be signs of less-than-truthful behavior.

1. Too much detail regarding unimportant issues. According to Meyer, a subject will often offer specific details that have nothing to do with the question of his guilt as a way of validating his claim of innocence. It’s as if the specificity will add credibility to what he’s about to tell you. However, when you listen closely, you’ll observe that the abundance of details does not lead to relevant information.

When explaining how he learned of the breach in his office regarding the bridge lane closures, Christie said that he finished his workout at 8:50 and received a call from his director of communication at 8:55. Then he said, “I found this out at 8:50 yesterday morning. By 9:00 this morning, Bridget Kelly was fired. By 7:00 yesterday evening, Bill Stepien was asked to leave my organization.”

This may sound credible, but it begs the follow-up question, where’s the inquiry? Why fire your deputy chief of staff without talking to her further to find out who else might have been involved and what her motive might have been. As a former attorney, Christie knows that establishing motive is critical to securing a conviction of guilt, and if she’s the linchpin, why isn’t he speaking to her to find the others involved? Instead, when asked why Kelly lied to him, he said, “I have not had any conversation with Bridget Kelly since the email came out. And so she was not given the opportunity to explain to me why she lied because it was so obvious that she had. And I’m, quite frankly, not interested in the explanation at the moment.”

Notably, Christie indicated nine separate times throughout the conference that he was interviewing his staff and would continue to interview them. He details conversations with people he said are not involved. But why spend so much time talking to innocent people? If you want to find the guilty, talk to those you know are guilty. At one point, he said,

And so now, having been proven wrong, of course we’ll work cooperatively with the investigations. And you know, I’m going through an examination, as I mentioned to you, right now. That’s what I’m doing. I’m going through an examination and talking to the individual people who work for me, not only to discover if there’s any other information we need find, but also to ask them: How did this happen? How did, you know, how did this, you know, occur to us?

Here again, he’s giving the appearance of being cooperative by offering details, but those details lead to no real information except to tell us how serious he is about interviewing. In fact, though the conference lasted almost two hours, Christie said very little.

2. Evading questions. During the question-and-answer period Christie stuck to his talking points: Apologize. Appear cooperative. Promise to do better next time. He also avoided answering this question from a reporter: “So, I’m just asking, what do you ask yourself about — they either thought this is what the boss wanted, or they, as a group, they were willing to go rogue and do this and then try to cover it up.” Christie’s response:

And what does it make me ask about me? It makes me ask about me what did I do wrong to have these folks think it was OK to lie to me? And there’s a lot of soul-searching that goes around with this. You know, when you’re a leader of an organization — and I’ve had this happen to me before, where I’ve had folks not tell me the truth about something, not since I’ve been governor but in previous leadership positions — you always wonder about what you could do differently. And believe me, John, I haven’t had a lot of sleep the last two nights, and I’ve been doing a lot of soul-searching. I’m sick over this. I’ve worked for the last 12 years in public life developing a reputation for honesty and directness and blunt talk, one that I think is well-deserved. But, you know, when something like this happens, it’s appropriate for you to question yourself, and certainly I am. And I am soul-searching on this… And so I don’t want to overreact to that in that way either, John. But if you’re asking me over the last 48 hours or last 36 hours I’ve done some soul-searching, you bet I have.

He used a lot of words to say little beyond, “I’m sorry.” It’s not an answer, it’s an accusation. He’s saying, “I’m contrite. Isn’t it enough? Can’t you see I’m really hurting?” We’re to feel sorry for him and even guilty for suspecting him.

It’s also important to note that he repeats the question in full twice — once as if to clarify and again as part of his answer. Meyer warns that that kind of repetition indicates someone is about to lie. It’s natural to repeat a question in part, to make sure you hear it, but beware when someone repeats your question in full as part of their answer. This could be a subject’s way of buying time while he considers what he’s going to say next.

3. Lack of genuine emotion. Christie is a force of nature. He is breathtakingly self-confident and passionate about what he believes in. He’s expressive with his hands, his face and his body. A Google image search reveals Christie using his hands in almost every speech, hugging people and laughing heartily. Christie is not a stuffed shirt. His baseline behavior is that of a warm, sincere, powerful leader, quick to anger, but also quick to love.

But in Thursday’s speech, Christie kept his arms on the podium, his face expressionless and his words measured, despite the fact that he kept repeating how heartbroken he was. “I don’t think I’ve gotten to the angry stage yet, but I’m sure I’ll get there,” he said, as if he knew it was strange not to appear angry.

The fact that this behavior is so out of character for him is significant. In “Liespotting,” Meyer advises, “…you’ll want to take into account the subject’s baseline speaking habits before rushing to assume he’s fabricating a lie.” In Thursday’s speech Christie’s body was frozen, his movements robotic, and he lacked all of his customary warmth and charm. While this is not a guarantee of guilt, in the context of the inherent problems with his defense, it’s disquieting.

4. Leaks. These can be the most damning of all. A leak is a facial expression or physical gesture that sneaks out without the liar’s knowledge. These telltale signs can be facial expressions or physical gestures that are out of sync. For example, a subject angry at an accusation slams his fist on the table, but his face betrays the slightest smile for just an instant. A leak could also be an errant phrase tacked on to the end of a statement that then changes its entire meaning. “I don’t micromanage first,” Christie said at the end of an explanation regarding his management style:

I am — there’s this — there’s this, you know, kind of reputation out there of me being a micromanager. I’m not. I mean, I think if you talk to my staff, what they would tell you is that I delegate enormous authority to my staff and enormous authority to my Cabinet. And I tell them, come to me with the policy decisions that need to be made, with some high-level personnel decisions that need to be made. But I do not manage in that kind of micro way, first.

Later he assures the press corps that he will always tell them the truth, as he sees it. It’s the “as I see it,” that weakens the phrase. But the fact that he feels the need to say it at all is somewhat suspect. According to Meyer, if anyone is telling you they are telling you the truth, that person probably is not.

5. Contradictions. Twice during the press conference Christie changed his story. At the start of his speech he clearly explained that four weeks ago he took his staff into his office and told them that if they had anything to do with the bridge lane closures they had one hour to tell either chief of staff Kevin O’Dowd or chief counsel Charlie McKenna. Later in the conference, aggressively leaning over the podium, Christie said that four weeks ago he took his staff into his office and told them that they should tell him, Mr. O’Dowd and Mr. McKenna right then and there if they were involved with the bridge debacle.

Then, when asked how he might respond to a subpoena, Christie quickly dismissed the question by saying, “I’m not going to speculate on that at this time.” A strange way to answer given how many times he previously claimed he would do everything to cooperate.

Once again, none of this proves Christie is lying. But if Meyer’s book is any guide, it’s at least time to ask him some more questions.

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Bridge Over Big Fat Ego

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am

I AM NOT A BULLY

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Lord Balto » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Does anyone remember Hogan's Heroes (1965-1971)? I am reminded of Sgt. Schultz, played by John Banner, the fat dumb Nazi whose favorite phrase was, "I know NOTHing, nothing!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcxGFmYyPs

"I did not even get up this morning!"
Lord Balto

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Stasi-like security

Chris Hedges
The Trouble With Chris Christie

By Chris Hedges

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has been Wall Street’s anointed son for the presidency. He is backed by the most ruthless and corrupt figures in New Jersey politics, including the New Jersey multimillionaire and hard-line Democratic boss George Norcross III. Among his other supporters are many hedge fund managers and corporate executives and some of the nation’s most retrograde billionaires, including the Koch brothers. The brewing scandal over the closing of traffic lanes on the George Washington Bridge apparently in retaliation for the Fort Lee mayor’s refusal to support the governor’s 2013 re-election is a window into how federal agencies and the security and surveillance apparatus would be routinely employed in a Christie presidency to punish anyone who challenged this tiny cabal’s grip on power.

Christie is the caricature of a Third World despot. He has a vicious temper, a propensity to bully and belittle those weaker than himself, an insatiable thirst for revenge against real or perceived enemies, and little respect for the law and, as recent events have made clear, for the truth. He is gripped by a bottomless hedonism that includes a demand for private jets, huge entourages, exclusive hotels and lavish meals. Wall Street and the security and surveillance apparatus want a real son of a bitch in power, someone with the moral compass of Al Capone, in order to ruthlessly silence and crush those of us who are working to overthrow the corporate state. They have had enough of what they perceive to be Barack Obama’s softness. Christie fits the profile and he is drooling for the opportunity.

Activists, Democratic and Republican rivals for power, liberals, reformers and environmentalists will, if Christie becomes president, see the vast forces of the security state surge into overdrive to stymie and reverse reform, gut our tepid financial and environmental regulations, further enrich the corporate elite who are pillaging the country, and savagely shut down all dissent. The corporate state’s repression, now on the brink of totalitarianism, would with the help of Christie, his corporate backers and his tea party loyalists become a full-blown corporate fascism.

Wall Street was unable to mask Mitt Romney’s cloying sense of entitlement and elitism, along with his Mr. Rogers blandness. But Wall Street sees in the profane, union-busting New Jersey governor the perfect Trojan horse for unfettered corporate power. Christie, eyeing a bid for the presidency in the 2016 election, has been promised massive financial backing by the Koch brothers; hedge fund titans such as Stanley Druckenmiller, Kenneth C. Griffin, Daniel S. Loeb, Paul E. Singer, Paul Tudor Jones II and David Tepper; financiers such as Charles Schwab and Stephen A. Schwarzman; real estate magnate Mort Zuckerman; former New York Stock Exchange Chairman Richard Grasso; former AIG head Maurice “Hank” Greenberg; former Morgan Stanley CEO John J. Mack; former GE Chairman Jack Welch; and Home Depot founder Kenneth Langone. David Koch has called Christie “a true political hero” and said he is “inspired by this man.” Rupert Murdoch, whose ethics seem to align with Christie’s, is similarly besotted with the governor.

Christie is pitched to the public, as was George W. Bush, as a regular guy, someone who speaks bluntly and candidly, someone you would want to have a beer with. But this is public relations crap. He is and has long been a hatchet man for corporate firms and big banks. He began his career as a corporate lobbyist in Trenton, N.J., working for clients such as the Securities Industry Association. He has done their bidding ever since. His wife, Mary Pat Christie, is a bond trader who has worked at JPMorgan Chase, Fleet Securities and Cantor Fitzgerald and is currently a managing director at Angelo Gordon, an investment firm in New York.

If Christie implodes politically, Wall Street will no doubt find another candidate to be its lackey. The system of corporate power, not the individual at the helm, is fundamentally the problem for democracy. But this does not mean we should not fear the excesses that surely would occur under a Christie presidency. Christie and those who want him to occupy the Oval Office have little regard for the impediments of law and do not know the meaning of the word “restraint.”
The quality of most of the reporting on Christie has been pathetic. The numerous portraits of the “regular-guy” governor are rewritten versions of the fatuous press releases provided by the governor’s public relations team. New Jersey desperately needs a version of the late columnist Mike Royko, whose unauthorized biography of Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley, “Boss,” laid bare the Mafia-like inner workings of the Daley political juggernaut. The Christie forces, which have made an unholy alliance with the state’s corrupt Democratic Party bosses to create an unassailable gang of corporate rulers, are as brutal and colorful as anything Royko chronicled in Chicago. The Democratic machine, led by Norcross, allied itself with the Republican Christie to crush the Democratic candidate for governor, Barbara Buono, who lost last November’s election by roughly 22 percentage points.

Mark Halperin and John Heilemann in their book “Double Down: Game Change 2012” give us perhaps the best glimpse of Christie, who flirted with running for the Republican nomination during the last presidential race and was considered as a running mate for Romney. The authors devote a chapter to Christie called “Big Boy,” a nickname George W. Bush bestowed on the corpulent governor. When Romney met with Christie at the governor’s mansion in Princeton to obtain his endorsement, Christie not only demurred but warned Romney he better not approach any major donors in his state. “If you jump the gun and start raising money here, you can certainly kiss my support good-bye,” Christie told Romney, according to the book. The authors describe the conversation as “something out of ‘The Sopranos.’ ”

The Romney campaign, which reluctantly agreed to Christie’s incessant demands for private jets, ungainly entourages and expensive hotel rooms in return for campaign appearances by the governor in behalf of the GOP nominee, decided against selecting him as running mate because, as the authors write, Romney’s vetters were “stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record.”

A 2010 U.S. Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in the federal job he held before he became governor, the book notes, called Christie “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and someone who offered “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at exclusive hotels such as the Four Seasons. In addition, the inspector general’s report raised questions among Romney’s vetters about “Christie’s relationship with a top female deputy who accompanied him on many trips,” the book said.

“There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act,” Halperin and Heilemann wrote. “There [also] was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies such as former attorney general John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie, arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie [the governor’s brother], who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making ‘hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.’ (Todd also oversaw a family foundation whose activities and purpose raised eyebrows among the vetters.) And all of that was on top of a litany of glaring matters that sparked concern on [the Romney] team: Christie’s other lobbying clients; his investments overseas; the YouTube clips that helped make him a star but might call into doubt his presidential temperament; and the status of his health.”

Christie’s large public entourage always includes a videographer who captures the governor’s frequent public humiliation of those—public school teachers are his favorite targets for ridicule—who have the audacity to question his judgment. These exchanges are immediately edited and uploaded to YouTube. There are now more than 600.
State politicians who do not kowtow before Christie receive acidic notes and emails. A former acting New Jersey governor, Richard J. Codey, after defying Christie abruptly lost his police escort. A state senator who angered the governor was denied a promised judgeship. A Rutgers professor and political scientist who declined to endorse Republican redistricting plans abruptly lost state funding for his program at the university.

Christie’s warped pathology, as is evidenced in this 2010 YouTube video in which he belittles a public school teacher, is a source of pride for the governor and has made him a darling of the right-wingers who target those who teach the vast majority of American schoolchildren.

In another incident, Christie angrily shouts to a man who had questioned his attacks on public school teachers: “You’re a real big shot. You’re a real big shot shooting your mouth off.” The man replies, “Nah, just take care of the teachers.” Christie, pushing his bulk before him and surrounded by his security detail, strides toward the man, who slowly backs away. “Keep walking away,” Christie says menacingly. “Really good. Keep walking.” The brief clip is a disturbing window into the governor’s vindictiveness, one that is augmented by access to power.

The visceral need by Christie to ridicule and threaten anyone who does not bow before him, his dark lust for revenge, his greed, gluttony and hedonism, his need to surround himself with large, fawning entourages and his obsequiousness to corporate power are characteristics our corporate titans embrace and understand. They see in Christie versions of themselves. They know he will enthusiastically do their dirty work. They trust him to be a real bastard. If Christie and the billionaires behind him take the presidency and begin to manipulate government agencies and pull the levers of our Stasi-like security and surveillance apparatus, any pretense of democracy will be gone.

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby NeonLX » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Is there any way to get out from underneath this shit; to "overthrow" it?

I mean, they are obviously looting us...well, not blind...the theft is right out there in plain sight.

Or, who cares? Why care?

Fvckers.

On edit: Really, I know better. Why get pissed about it? It doesn't make a goddamn bit of difference.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Christie is history ...I am loving every second of the show

you've overthrown it Neon because you are aware...savor the moment when a bully....a thug...gets impeached
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby NeonLX » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:10 am

seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 pm wrote:Christie is history ...I am loving every second of the show

you've overthrown it Neon because you are aware...savor the moment when a bully....a thug...gets impeached

Thanks for the pep talk. :) Mondays are brutal for me. So are Tuesdays, Wednesdays...

http://youtu.be/rXH_12QWWg8
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 am

Perhaps Christie requires a suspension of belief? It seems to be taking a big toll on him....
Searcher08

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 am

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Christie and Koch in Cahoots? It's Time to Subpoena the Committee for Our Children's Future
Thursday, 16 January 2014 11:26
By Greg Palast, Truthout | News Analysis

Far more insidious, more corrosive and dangerous than the Governor of New Jersey playing traffic warden is the story of Gov. Chris Christie's secret meetings with a gaggle of billionaires - and the legality of the spending by the front organization set up following these hidden hugger-muggers.
In 2012, a tax-exempt "social welfare organization" called Committee for Our Children's Future, CCF, ran a series of TV ads telling America that Governor Christie has performed more miracles in New Jersey than Jesus did with loaves and fish. The New York Times found some old college chums who said they set up the "Children's" crusade for Christie. But the ads cost about $6 million. The Times didn't ask how Christie's buddies, not wealthy guys, found the six big ones.
But CCF was not started in 2012. When I heard "Children's Future," my nose started twitching. I smelled Koch.
The whiff of sulfur took me back to seven thick investigation binders nearly two decades old - each one marked "KOCH." In Volume 3, I found it: CCF - Campaign for Our Children's Future.
Just days before the 1996 election, "Campaign for our Children's Future," previously unheard of, paid for some of the most vicious smear ads ever run. The nasty blast, disseminated in coordination with a mysterious operation called "Citizens United," accused one Democrat of associating with a child molester (false), another of being "a Jewess" (true) and so on.
Most of the 29 targeted Democrats, blindsided and unable to swing at the phantom "Children" and "Citizens," were creamed. The result, to everyone's surprise, was that the Republicans kept control of Congress.
(Image: Ted Rall)
(Image: Ted Rall)
Everyone's surprise but Charles and David Koch. The head of "Children's Future" confessed to federal investigators he'd signed over $700,000 in blank checks to an anonymous donor running funds through Children's. The money-laundering operation was traced back to a funding source called "Triad Inc." - named after the Chinese mobsters. Triad's front man, facing hard time, swore that all the hidden loot came from Koch Industries, owned by Charles and David Koch.
And that was a crime, one of the two times the Kochs came within kissing distance of prison cells - because, in 1996, before the Citizens United ruling, America still had a democracy, and it was a felony for corporations to slip cash to political campaigns.
And Citizens United? It was, in practice, just one citizen, right-wing-nut billionaire Foster Friess. In 1996, he and rich friends would put cash into Citizens United, which then made campaign contributions, in the exact same amount, on the very same day, to one of their favored politicians. The sums and timing were a "coincidence," said the "Citizens" lawyers. But it looked an awful lot like a crime: an illegal way around campaign contribution limits.
(How the Kochs and Friess avoided hard time - with Bill Clinton's help - is a story for another time and place. The place is my book, Billionaires & Ballot Bandits.)
It wasn't just me who thought that Children's Future and the Kochs had committed felonies. Then-Senator Fred Thompson, who's played a lawman so many times on TV he thinks he is one, accused the Koch operatives of creating illegal "sham nonprofit corporations."
That was Thompson's mistake. The Senator was stripped of his powers as chairman of the Government Affairs Committee, denied his demand to subpoena anyone around the Kochs, and his investigation was shut down.
In a parting shot, Thompson wrote: "Triad is important not just for the ways it bent or broke existing laws, but for the pattern it has established for future groups."
And now we know: The "future group" would be, apparently, the re-formulated CCF, now as Committee for Our Children's Future. And apparently, our children want Chris Christie.
But this time around, dumping hidden money into a campaign to boost a politician has been decriminalized by the Supreme Court's 2010 ruling, which threw out charges against the old Friess front, Citizens United.
So who are the men who care so much about our children's future?
There's Still One Law Left to Break
Despite the Supreme Court stripping naked almost all restrictions on political expenditures, the Justices did firmly secure a critically placed fig leaf: "Independent" organizations may not, in any way whatsoever, plan with, secretly coordinate with, make or take suggestions from, nor consult with, a candidate.
The question is, did the Kochs and Christie drop the fig leaf? The answers are a hell of a lot more important than Sopranos-style score-settling like backing up a bridge.
Let's look at the evidence. The hidden funnel of funds into Our Children's Future followed on undisclosed meetings: the first, a two-hour rendezvous between Governor Christie and David Koch in New York in January of 2011. Just the two of them, no one else allowed in.
This concealed chat with Christie was unwittingly disclosed by David Koch himself: He blabbed about it to his billionaire buddies at a closed gathering he organized with his brother Charles. Koch did not know he was being secretly recorded. (Thanks to investigative reporter par excellence Brad Friedman for making the recording public.)
And this was the second secret meeting: The Kochs' closed confab in Vail, Colorado, on June 26, 2011. The guest of honor at the bash: Governor Chris Christie.
But you're not supposed to know that.
Now you may think it's pretty hard for Christie to conceal himself, but the governor did his best. This was some time after Governor Mark Sanford was excoriated for disappearing for a few days, in Sanford's case to meet his girlfriend. Similarly, Christie left off his schedule any mention of his travel to Colorado for the tryst with the Kochs.
Christie was feted at the billionaires' bacchanal - and he returned the favor. The hidden recorder captured the governor saying, "We must cut Social Security, cut Medicare, cut Medicaid." It was Christie tough-guy talk that, notably, he was too cowardly to repeat in New Jersey. He told the awed ultrarich that, by cutting teacher pensions, he could stop Democrats' attempts to tax millionaires.
Dance of the $70 Million in Vail
(Photo: Greg Palast)
(Photo: Greg Palast)
Christie told the billionaires that The Lord Himself had anointed them to rule America - if only the moochers would stop torturing them with stupid environmental rules and taxes.
"All they do is layer regulation and taxes and burdens on all those people who just wanted opportunities to use their God-given gifts and their ambition and their vision to try to improve their lives and through that, improve the lives of other people."
For the record, the Kochs' billions were not God-given, but Dad-given. And Daddy Koch got his loot from deals made with Joe Stalin. (No kidding.)
That night, the billionaires whom Christie cast as the victims of government cruelty ponied up $70 million for the Kochs' political campaign war chest. And, after Christie spoke, Charles Koch said, acknowledging the million-dollar checks from Foster Friess and others: "We will invest this money wisely and get the best possible payoff for you ..."
Fighting the Tax on "Extortion"
The Kochs had already received their payoff from Christie - that is, Christie saved America's future. The brothers Koch stand to profit by approximately $1 billion each per year if the XL Pipeline is built. Therefore, defeating laws to cut greenhouse emissions is crucial. On May 27, 2011, after his secret meeting with David Koch and just before sneaking off to Vail, Christie stunned New Jersey by pulling the state out of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative.
Not that there's a connection.
After the Vail meeting, there were reports that a gaggle of billionaires had launched a campaign to draft Christie as the most-electable alternative for the Republican Party's presidential nomination - about the same time as Chris Christie's college roomies decided to chip in $6 million for old time's sake.
David Koch was on the "We Heart Christie" bandwagon, of course - joined by the one billionaire more influential, more cunning and more forbidding than any Koch: Paul "The Vulture" Singer. Note: You're not called a "vulture" by Wall Street for your philanthropic work.
In an investigation for The Nation, I found that Singer had sucked $1.28 billion dollars from the US Treasury in a scheme involving the auto bailout. A treasury official called it "extortion." Call it extortion or cotton candy, the loot would be nearly tax-free to Singer via a loophole called "carried interest." Obama was threatening to close this billionaire's tax goodie - while Christie crowed that he opposed any "millionaire tax."
And that suited one of Singer's coinvestors, John Paulson, who made $2.6 billion on the alleged "extortion" from the treasury - and did not want to pay tax on it. His fellow hedge-fund billionaire and Christie fan Stephen Schwarzman likened Obama's questioning the carried interest loophole to "Hitler's invasion of Poland."
Then, billionaire Ken Langone also joined the Christie parade. Langone, I disclosed in Salon, was the money behind the company that, in 2000, purged thousands of black voters from voter rolls in Florida. Later, he was charged with insider trading by Elliott Spitzer, and, after charges were dropped, announced that Spitzer "would pay." Langone implied, true or not, that he's the one who busted Spitzer's career. Langone is not warm to business regulation.
Singer the Vulture is chairman of the Manhattan Institute, a think tank that generates antiregulation propaganda. In May 2010, Governor Christie made a pilgrimage there.
Why? Singer is the brain in Restore Our Future, the super-PAC The Vulture funded with billionaire Harold "Ice-Man" Simmons (who died in December), and notably, the third Koch brother, billionaire Billy Koch.
It was right after the rogues' gallery of billionaires made their secretive push for Christie that CCF spent $6 million to praise the governor. Notably, the spokesman for both Restore Our Future and Committee for Our Children's Future, and the only identifiable operator for CCF, is an outfit called Black Rock.
Also, Politico reports that something called Arena Communications of Utah, a recipient of at least $670,973 from Restore Our Future, is virtually the sole donor and operator of the mysterious and short-lived Draft Christie for President Inc.
Question: If Governor Christie is such a straight shooter, then how come he left the Vail and Koch meetings off his schedule? What did he say to The Vulture in Manhattan that got the billionaire bird all excited? And do you want us to believe that in none of these secret gatherings that preceded the million-dollar ads, that there was no coordination, no consultation, no discussion whatsoever of the Governor's campaign needs?
While my files are thick and the Vail tapes invaluable, I'm not going to pretend that I know the words they whispered in their chit-chats. That's what subpoenas are for, and these would have to be served on the governor himself, The Vulture and the Kochs.
It's said that Christie's failure to question his staff about the GW Bridge jam-up makes him an oddly uncurious fellow. And Mr. Christie is steadfastly uncurious about how his old college friends found $6 million to spend - and, coincidentally, turned their operation over to the outfit that handles CCF's funds. How many coincidences do we need before we can conclude that the legal line was crossed?
While we need to know what the dipwits appointed by Christie did to our bridge, more important is what the governor said to the billionaires in secret that opened their otherwise tight wallets . . . and whether that loot found its way to CCF.
Singer the Vulture once tried to bully my network, BBC Television, into backing off our investigations.
But I'm not worried - though I wonder whether the governor of New Jersey and Mr. Koch will put traffic cones across my driveway.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Wow, for once a political scandal earns the "-gate" suffix. Except this time it seems that Christie really IS undone by his own hubris and thuggishness unlike Nixon who was probably taken down by opposing deep political forces.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/17/report_ ... e_suspect/

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has tried his damnedest to distance himself from David Wildstein, the now-disgraced former Port Authority official who was one of the key players responsible for engineering the traffic disaster in Fort Lee.

But according to a new report from CNN, the only reason Wildstein, the former editor of a political website and high school buddy of the governor, was given a position in the Port Authority is because people representing Christie’s office directed Port Authority officials to “to find a place for Wildstein at the executive level.”

Following Christie’s office’s command, Port Authority officials “created” a position “specifically for Wildstein.”

Despite a Christie spokesperson’s earlier contention that Wildstein was not acting as Christie’s eyes and ears at the Authority, as many have alleged in the wake of bridgegate, anonymous Authority officials told CNN that they were “careful about what they said when Wildstein was in the room, always assuming it would get back to Christie.”

-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

Christie hires Giuliani's lawyer

Christie staff overlaps failed Giuliani run
Rachel Maddow points out the considerable overlap between staff members of the failed Rudy Giuliani presidential campaign and Chris Christie aids.
Christie had hired Mike DuHaime Political Strategist, Bill Stepien National Field Director Marie Carmella Communication Director that were on Giuliani's payroll
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:02 pm

my bold

Hoboken Mayor: Christie Team Shook Us Down for Sandy Relief

BRIAN MURPHY – JANUARY 18, 2014, 10:12 AM EST2945
On MSNBC’s “Up with Steve Kornacki” this morning, Hoboken, N.J. mayor Dawn Zimmer offered an extraordinary account of her dealings with the administration of Governor Chris Christie concerning federal Hurricane Sandy relief aid. She described an effort by top state officials – the lieutenant governor and a cabinet member – to coerce Hoboken’s city government into fast-tracking approval of a proposed redevelopment project by withholding Sandy aid from the government and residents of her city. That project, she says she was told, was “very important to the governor.” And if she worked to get it approved, “the money would start flowing to you.”

It just so happens that the proposed project in question is situated on three blocks of land owned by the Rockefeller Group, a client of the law firm of Wolff & Samson. That firm was founded by Christie confidante David Samson, a former state attorney general who Christie tapped to head his transition team in 2009. In 2011 the governor appointed Samson to become the chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, where he remains today.

This is a riveting narrative, and I encourage you to watch Steve’s introduction at the top of the show and his interview with Mayor Zimmer. During the second hour of the show, Steve asked for analysis and context from a panel that included me – a former political reporter in New Jersey and a Baruch College - CUNY history professor who studies the intersection of economics and politics.

Both Steve and I have personal ties to individuals involved in the recent stories coming out of New Jersey, and we’ve been collaborating to make sense of recent revelations, including but not limited to those involving the now-infamous lane closures at the George Washington Bridge that were undertaken at the behest of aides to Governor Christie and his appointees at the Port Authority. We proposed a theory about those September lane closures involving a redevelopment project that was discussed on MSNBC last week and which I later wrote up for TPM.

You may have already seen Mayor Zimmer in the news this week. Hoboken received only 1% of the aid they had requested for Hurricane Sandy relief and planning funds even though it was one of the hardest-hit communities in the state during the storm. At one point, 80% of the 50,000 person city was flooded. If you remember the footage of water gushing through an underground subway station, that was in Hoboken; it has, in fact, the highest per-capita use of public transit of any city in America. Yet so far the state of New Jersey has given the city about $350,000 from the billions of dollars in federal disaster relief and planning aid that it is charged with administering. That’s about $6 per resident. It has been enough to pay for one major planning study and to buy one backup generator for an $18 million emergency storm water pump.

50,000 people. 80% flooded. $6 a head.

News outlets and the mayor have both wondered if the anemic aid was a punishment for Zimmer not endorsing the governor’s reelection bid. Mayors in Jersey City, Elizabeth, and other New Jersey municipalities have been asking the same question since Fort Lee mayor Mark Sokolich raised the possibility that his refusal to endorse Christie led to the lane closures on GWB and the four-day-long traffic nightmare in that town.

This Hoboken story and the Fort Lee/GWB story might seem like separate tales. But they’re not. Moreover, these latest revelations put to rest the notion that Hoboken’s Sandy aid or the Fort Lee/GWB story have anything to do with local Democratic officials’ endorsement of the governor during his reelection campaign. Forget about the endorsements. It never really added up anyway.

The subpoenaed documents in Bridgegate show that the Christie administration used the Port Authority as an extension of their political operation, although we do not yet know to what end.

And the Hoboken story clearly demonstrates the Christie administration took steps to aid the material interest of a client of the chairman of that agency.

Here’s what happened:

In June 2010 a member of the governor’s cabinet, Lori Grifa, the commissioner at the Department of Community Affairs, encouraged the city of Hoboken to apply to the Port Authority for a grant that would fund a study to determine whether a nineteen-block neighborhood in the northern corner of the town should be classified as suitable for “redevelopment.” That’s the same neighborhood where the Rockefeller Group bought three blocks in 2008.

You may not realize it, but “redevelopment” is a technical term – a legal trigger that can shower a project with goodies like tax abatements, tax credits, grants, and vest local governments with sweeping powers to issue bonds, take properties in the affected area by use of eminent domain, and re-zone an area to suit just one developer’s interests and needs (you can find more by looking up N.J.S.A. 40A:12A-8).

If it sounds like a city might be tempted to grant itself this power to help out a mayor’s buddy, you’d be right. Think back to the blight ordinances that were used to clear-cut neighborhoods in the 1960s and 70s to make way for stadiums and concentrate poor minorities in towering public housing projects. Recall what Robert Moses did to make way for the Cross Bronx Expressway, carving vital neighborhoods in two and plowing through people’s homes.

That history – that blighted history – is why today there is a clear process for determining when and how redevelopment authority may be granted. It’s an imperfect process, to be sure, but one that has evolved through experience to provide some modicum of fairness to the stakeholders in a town who could be adversely affected by a redevelopment project.

In the case of Hoboken, those stakeholders were the owners of those nineteen blocks on the north end of town, along with the rest of the city’s residents. When city officials, including mayor Zimmer, met with Port Authority deputy executive director Bill Baroni to discuss the city’s relationship with the Port, they talked about a program called the Local Assistance Program (LAP). It’s a fund of about $300,000 to $500,000 that’s annually disbursed to cities and counties within the “port district” of the authority’s jurisdiction. (There was actually a mention of a LAP grant in one of David Wildstein’s messages to Bridget Kelly.)

Now let’s remember: the Port Authority is a big bi-state agency.

How big?

Let me tell you: They manage the New York City airports: JFK, EWR, LGA. They manage the George Washington Bridge, the Lincoln Tunnel, the Holland Tunnel, the Goethals Bridge, the Outerbridge Crossing. They mange the World Trade Center. In their 2012 financials, it shows they have an operating budget of $2.5 billion. They have an investment portfolio that was worth $5.45 billion last June. They’ve got $3 billion in infrastructure projects in the pipeline and plan to spend $25 billion more in the next decade. They write $750 million in contracts a year. They do big deals, they give out a lot of work, and they have the power to make people very very rich.

In the scheme of the Port Authority’s operations, a $75,000 grant for a planning contract just doesn’t attract any attention. And why should it? The city applies for it as a way to defray the costs of doing something like a traffic study or a redevelopment study. The Port awards the contract through a bidding process that seems fairly transparent. The study gets done, the recommendations are accepted, and a project moves forward. Just like any other grant process that a municipal government goes through every month.

So Hoboken’s contract was awarded to a firm called Clarke Caton Hintz. They do lots of work with agencies and municipalities in New Jersey. Hoboken seemed happy with their selection in 2011.

Months passed. Then a year. Sandy happened, and everything was put on hold.

But in early 2013 the study was completed and Hoboken officials were surprised by what they saw: of the nineteen block studied on the North End, only three were deemed eligible for redevelopment. And they were all owned by the same entity: the Rockefeller Group.

Zimmer already had dealt with the Rockefeller Group since becoming mayor in 2009. The firm had publicized a major redevelopment “vision” centered around a 40-story office tower. In a 2010 Newark Star Ledger article the company nudged Zimmer toward offering them support by reminding people that past mayors had done the same. They said they were “working with Mayor (Dawn) Zimmer…to bring tax relief, jobs, economic benefits, and recreation to Hoboken residents.” But Zimmer was firm in following the process by the book. “There have been no negotiations with the Rockefeller Group,” she said, and there would be “no negotiations until a study has been completed, and a public process including all residents and property owners has been completed in order to determine what kind of development our city would like to have in that area.”

Well in 2013, that study was done. It was the one funded by the Port Authority’s LAP grant, the one recommending that – of all 30 acres in the North End – the only blocks that met the qualifications for redevelopment designations were the three owned by the Rockefeller Group.

During the weeks before Hoboken’s planning board was set to decide whether or not to endorse that conclusion, Hoboken officials heard from Lori Grifa again. Only this time she wasn’t calling as the commissioner at the Department of Community Affairs; she was calling as the lawyer representing the Rockefeller Group from the firm of Wolff & Samson, where she heads the firm’s regulatory affairs unit. Grifa left the cabinet in 2011, and under state rules she wasn’t allowed to do lobbying work for a year afterwards. So in 2013 it was fine for her to lobby on behalf of a client regarding a grant she arranged while she was in public service – a grant that came from the agency chaired by the head of her firm.

But there was something about the way Grifa was reaching out to Hoboken that set off an alarm bell. She wanted to talk with the city’s planning attorney by phone, and she let it be known David Samson would also be on the call. “I am getting the full court press on this,” the attorney wrote, to talk with “Lori and Dave Samson (chair of the PA).” Worse yet, there was no agenda provided beforehand.

The attorney was uncomfortable, and why wouldn’t he be? Grifa had asked him to take an open-ended meeting with the chairman of the Port Authority. The power dynamic could not have been more asymmetrical. Could you really afford, as a planning attorney in any town in New Jersey, to say no to the chairman of the Port Authority?

More emails followed, with the subject line “Hoboken/Rockefeller Group.” Each was cc’d to David Samson. Lori Grifa said that since the “blight study” had been “published” she needed to talk about the “next steps in Hoboken” and get the city ready to “plan for the same.”

Never mind that the study had not yet been recommended by the city’s planning board. Grifa was “assuming adoption” and wondering how the city would “move from the Study to the Redevelopment Phase.” She wanted to know if Clarke Caton Hintz would be retained. She sought “time frames.”

But then the Hoboken planning board turned down the study’s recommendation. The owners of the other sixteen blocks had banded together, hired their own lawyer, and filed an objection to the study’s conclusions. Calling themselves “the Other North End Property Owners,” they wrote that it was an “obvious” that “the Study's myopic recommendation favors a particular property owner.” They asked why “a redevelopment plan for the exclusive benefit” of the Rockefeller Group would “[favor] a single property owner to the detriment of all other property owners in the North End Area.” Their argument won the day

That happened on May 8. But although Rockefeller lost the round, it wasn’t a binding decision. The planning board only makes recommendations to the city council. In other words, everything was still in play.

Remember that this is May 2013. Sandy grants were being awarded, applications were being filed, and Hoboken was asking for almost $100 million in aid to recover from the hurricane’s damage and plan for future storms. The city had a lot at stake.

On May 13 Mayor Zimmer hosted a VIP guest in Hoboken: New Jersey Lieutenant Governor Kim Guagdano, who was in town to attend a local grocery store opening and talk Sandy relief. At one moment during the event, the mayor claims, Guagdano pulled her aside and started talking about…the Rockefeller Group project.

The project, Guagdano said, was “very important to the governor,” and the perception was that the mayor opposed it. Unless Zimmer used her influence to “move forward,” the Christie administration was “not going to be able to help you” on Sandy aid. According to a diary entry Zimmer made following this meeting, the lieutenant governor told her, “I know it's not right – these things should not be connected – but they are.” Zimmer wrote that Guagdano told her she would deny ever having said this if asked later, not realizing that the Hoboken mayor keeps a written diary.

Then on May 16, the following Saturday, Zimmer was at Monmouth University for an NJTV public television event on Sandy relief. She found herself sitting with Richard Constable, a former assistant U.S. Attorney who worked in Chris Christie’s office when Christie was U.S. Attorney for New Jersey, and who was subsequently named commissioner of the Department of Community Affairs to succeed Lori Grifa.

With microphones attached – and, according to Zimmer, audio technicians able to listen in – Constable delivered a message that echoed the one delivered by Lieutenant Governor Guagdano. In a diary entry made the next day, May 17, Zimmer wrote that Constable said, “I hear you are against the Rockefeller project.” The mayor said she was not. “Oh really?” Constable asked in reply. “Everyone in the State House believes you are against it - the buzz is that you are against it.”

According to Zimmer, he added: “If you move that forward, the money would start flowing to you.”

In her diary entries following the encounters with Guagdano and Constable, Zimmer expresses dismay – I don’t think there’s any better word for it really. She sees the governor as no different from everyone else: “cut from the same corrupt cloth that I have been fighting for the last four years.” See it for yourself at MSNBC’s website.

Dawn Zimmer and Chris Christie had a connection. She had become mayor of Hoboken because her predecessor, Peter J. Cammarano, had been arrested 22 days after being elected in mid-2009.

What was Cammarano’s crime? He had promised to speed a development project in exchange for a $25,000 bribe and was pinched along with 28 other politicians in a sting that nabbed 60 people altogether. The crimes ranged from bribery to offering to expedite development to trafficking in human organs (yes, really).

Chris Christie ran that sting operation, and Dawn Zimmer loved his work as a U.S. Attorney who prosecuted corrupt local officials in New Jersey, a record that he used to launch his bid to win election as governor in 2009. When Christie did his first town hall event as governor, he did it in Democratic Hoboken. And Dawn Zimmer, the new Democratic mayor was there to greet him.

Today, however, the onetime admirer is accusing his lieutenant governor and a member of his cabinet of trying to get her to do what Cammarano had done. To move things along. To interfere with the process.

We don’t know if the governor knew about this. We don’t know if David Samson knew about this. But someday we will. Just like we’ll figure out what happened at the bridge.

We will figure it out because we have seen this before. One of the keys to understanding American politics – or any politics, really – is that power and influence reside in places where you might not think it obvious to look. Robert Moses wielded power in New York City for half a century, but he didn’t do it from an elected office. As Robert Caro reminds us in The Power Broker – a Bible to understanding American politics – “we're taught that in a democracy power comes from being elected.” But “Robert Moses wasn't elected to anything” and “he had more power than anyone, and he held it for 48 years.”

Was the governor telling his aides to act on David Samson’s client’s behalf? Or did they just know to do so? Were they so attuned to the power dynamic between the state and the Port Authority, an agency that’s putting $1.5 billion into New Jersey projects, that they thought they had no choice but to do a favor for the agency’s chairman. Those projects, after all, are filling critical holes in New Jersey’s state budget. The Port Authority’s work is therefore taking a problem off the governor’s hands as he explores higher office (see WNYC Andrea Bernstein’s must-read/listen story fromThursday).

We like to think that agencies like the Port Authority, a 92-year-old agency, are subordinate to the states that created them. But it doesn’t seem that way right now, does it? The Port looks more like a state within a state, imperium imperio. Its independence makes it more likely to behave politically, less accountable to elected officials, and less transparent to the public. We know that from reading the documents that have been released in connection with the N.J. Assembly’s investigation. It is entirely possible that the Port Authority has become the Triboro Bridge Authority of our era, managed by political entrepreneurs who are too powerful to offend, running a portfolio too big to oversee. No wonder the Christie administration decided, early on, to begin packing it with their own appointees and dependents.

It’s time to retire hashtag headline word “Bridgegate.” The term doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 am

Source: Chertoff to represent Samson

By PolitickerNJ Staff | January 18th, 2014 - 9:42pm
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on favoritesShare on print|More Sharing ServicesMore
A source close to the unfolding legislative probe of the players alleged to be involved in the George Washington Bridge scandal tonight told PolitickerNJ that David Samson, chair of the Port Authority Commission, has hired Michael Chertoff to serve as his attorney.

Samson received a subpoena earlier this week in connection with his role in the scandal.

Founder and Chairman of The Chertoff Group, Chertoff previously served as Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and is a former U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, and Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

From 2003 to 2005, Chertoff served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Before becoming a federal judge, Mr. Chertoff was the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and oversaw the investigation of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. He also formed the Enron Task Force, which produced more than 20 convictions, including those of CEOs Jeffrey Skilling and Kenneth Lay.

George W Bush/GWB.....9/11/2001 .....Port Authority.....Twin Towers.....Michael Chertoff....Rudy Giuliani....Chris Christie.....9/11/2013......George Washington Bridge/GWB.....Rudy Giuliani....Port Authority Chairman David Samson.....Michael Chertoff

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey expects to move into 4 World Trade in 2015. The authority lost its home in the twin towers during the 2001 terror attacks.

The official opening means it can start building out its new office space

Gov. Chris Christie is seen with David Samson and David Wildstein, in red tie, on Sept. 11, 2013, before a ceremony on the 12th anniversary of the 2001 World Trade Center attacks in Manhattan, in a photo obtained by The Wall Street Journal. Sept. 11 was the third day of the lane closures in Fort Lee, N.J.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:16 am

Christie's "Personal Piggy Bank": the Port Authority
byLouise

Andrea Bernstein of WNYC, New York's public radio station, had a fantastic segment this morning on The Brian Lehrer Show discussing her research into the way that Chris Christie used the Port Authority as his "personal piggy bank," using it to pay for traffic projects that appear to be decided on a political basis.

She outlined the estimated $3.3 billion that Wildstein and Baroni steered to New Jersey for highway and transportation projects, including several that "went to state facilities not under the Port Authority's purview."

No wonder Christie is lawyering up with the Guiliani big guns, and stonewalling investigations that lead to corruption that he doesn't consider "appropriate." Citizens of the state may discover just how he has been using their tax dollars and supreme Executive power to enrich himself, his cronies, and the national Republican party.

Details after the jump.

Traffic is the Number One last-nerve-burner in New Jersey, especially in the northern part of the state. Drivers are always looking for ways to get around, or out of, the state faster, without sitting in traffic jams. (Fort Lee's four days of hell were only a larger version of a normal commute.)

Christie used Port Authority funds to placate angry commuters and thus keep their votes for his reelection.He used PA funds to reduce congestion problems in towns he was rewarding and to win the support of labor unions and Democrats. Most importantly Christie was able to keep tolls on our two major highways - the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway - at the same price during his entire first administration.(One of his reelection boasts was that he didn't raise tolls.)

Some of the projects

-- $1.8 billion for renovation of the Pulaski Skyway (redirected from the killed NJ Transit tunnel under the Hudson)
-- $1 billion to raise the Bayonne Bridge so larger ships can pass under it

-- $235 million to purchase the Military Ocean Terminal, which bailed out the city of Bayonne

-- $256 million to upgrade the Harrison PATH station

-- Taking over the money-losing Atlantic City airport

All of these projects were all directed to Christie by David Wildstein and Bill Baroni. They helped Christie scratch backs, or punish or eliminate offenders. The CNN report that revealed Wildstein's specially created job says that "Wildstein's role included scrutinizing the agency's business for the governor and that's why he was given such a broad title, sources said." Now we know what Wildstein was doing in his specially-created job: looking for money for Christie's slush fund.

Christie's interests weren't being enforced and protected by just Wildstein and Baroni. Dozens of Port Authority jobs went to Christie loyalists, as this 2012 article outlined. Christie lavished "his guys" with no-show and low-work, highly paid livelihoods far more lavish than they could have obtained elsewhere. A review of the names of those so favored is a Who's Who of NJ political big wheels and their relatives. If you took care of Christie's family, he would take care of yours. You cross Christie, you starve. In the worst recession since the Great Depression, and in a state with an unemployment rate of 8.4%, those jobs are might big and tasty carrots.

There will be New Jerseyans who defend these expenditures. "We needed those road improvements! Christie was just making sure that our government works for the people, just like he says!" What kind of work is he doing, though, when he spends tax dollars on no-show patronage jobs and projects approved on the basis of connections and graft rather than need? He's doing the work of a political machine Boss. Chris Hedges nails it in his essay on Christie's true character. The Gov comes across as the worst combination and Nixon, crossed with the New Jersey mob. The essay is the true story of this man.

Follow the money.

11:06 AM PT: Here's the link to the list of Port Authority jobs that were filled by Christie appointees. It includes not just names and job titles, but salaries and the connection the recipients have to the Christie machine.

http://dng.northjersey.com/...

12:53 PM PT: Rec list!!! Twice in a week. It''s a sincere honor and a complete thrill :) But frankly, the story here is potentially so huge that the future of the country is involved. I will be away for the rest of the afternoon, but would appreciate any comments or links for tonight's perusal.

"Christie delenda est!"
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Next

Return to General Discussion