can be explained by the “double government” theory of 19th-century
scholar of the English Constitution Walter Bagehot. As applied to the
United States, Bagehot’s theory suggests that U.S. national security policy
is defined by the network of executive officials who manage the
departments and agencies responsible for protecting U.S. national security
and who, responding to structural incentives embedded in the U.S. political
system, operate largely removed from public view and from constitutional
constraints. The public believes that the constitutionally-established
institutions control national security policy, but that view is mistaken.
Judicial review is negligible; congressional oversight is dysfunctional; and
presidential control is nominal. Absent a more informed and engaged
electorate, little possibility exists for restoring accountability in the
formulation and execution of national security policy.

Dams breaking everywhere. I wish I could see all this as a good thing, but my gut tells me we're headed towards Zardoz. The past 50 years, the whole post-WWII global power structure, was just an experiment. Up next is the full-scale implementation. We have been hugely fortunate, to date, to be cursed with a power structure that can be quantified, qualified and mapped. Our children will not be so lucky.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PDF - Harvard Natl Security Journal talks "Deep State"

Postby NeonLX » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 am

Absent a more informed and engaged electorate, little possibility exists for restoring accountability in the formulation and execution of national security policy.

I hadn't thought of that angle.

Went to the car warsh this morning and the magnetic yellow "support our troops" ribbon done got blowed off the trunk lid. Damn.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Project Willow » Sat May 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Wow. Thanks for this. What a valuable piece to offer when confronted with conspiracy whacko labeling and disengagement, a well resourced structural analysis of what has gone wrong and why we can't vote our way out of it. Somebody send it to Chomsky.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 82_28 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sat May 10, 2014 5:35 am wrote:PDF: http://harvardnsj.org/wp-content/upload ... -Final.pdf

Abstract
National security policy in the United States has remained largely constant
from the Bush Administration to the Obama Administration. This continuity

Dams breaking everywhere. I wish I could see all this as a good thing, but my gut tells me we're headed towards Zardoz. The past 50 years, the whole post-WWII global power structure, was just an experiment. Up next is the full-scale implementation. We have been hugely fortunate, to date, to be cursed with a power structure that can be quantified, qualified and mapped. Our children will not be so lucky.

I haven't read the pdf yet, but well said. I have long feared what will happen to future generations once we lose the souls that actually cared about the freedom to be. We're the "straddlers" who remember the way our grandparents etc gave us wisdom. Once we are gone, it will all be sourced out to the cloud of algorithms controlling all thought and insight with no wisdom in perpetuity.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Mon May 12, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm reading it, in chunks. So far it's terrific, thanks for bringing this here.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 12, 2014 1:52 pm

I skimmed through all of it.

To review some thoughts from my favorite RI thread on this
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... =8&t=28897

The deep state is much bigger than we tend to think but not all of it is very deep: It's a set of structures and private interests more permanent than administrations, but these are mostly in the open, just relatively taboo and elite. More ignored or denied than hidden. And it's complicated.

So you have

- a national security bureaucracy consisting of military and civilian secret agencies who are in it for organizational interests first of all (justify missions, expand budgets, maintain total dominance militarily, maintain total surveillance on everyone, etc.)

- a power elite at the think tanks, corporations, universities and investment houses who have geopolitical religion, with some of the cast rotating in and out of public office (the Rubins, Bakers, Gates, etc.)

- consensus policies avoided in polite company that are nevertheless known (it's not really about "terrorism" but geopolitics, resources and profits),

- literally hidden policies (let's have a relatively small crew overthrow the Ukrainian government for sport, it will be so cool! - this was hardly something subject to a public debate within the power elite at large before it was undertaken)

and

- a general realm for action by private actors and informal networks that in part do whatever the fuck they like (parapolitics: one group launders some drug money over here, another does an arms deal over there, a third supports some crazy fanatic homophobic religious nonsense in Uganda, etc. etc.)

- a lot of foreign interests and agencies tied in at various nodes in the above, sometimes at odds with each other (UK, NATO countries, Israel, Saudi, Pakistan, Anglosphere, etc. etc.)

To an extent it's a self-service emporium for corruption, plunder and domination. We should distinguish between the growth of executive power relative to other branches, the permanent bureaucracy and surrounding power elite making policy, the "legal" top secret complex or national security state, the many presumed sub-branches walled off thanks to compartmentalization, and the private/parapolitical realms branching off from all this.

Glennon tends to focus on the least "deep", the permanent burecaucracy and national security state, which is also probably the most important:
... power in the United States lay initially in one set of institutions—the President, Congress, and the courts. These are America’s “dignified” institutions. Later, however, a second institution emerged to safeguard the nation’s security. This, America’s “efficient” institution (actually, as will be seen, more a network than an institution) consists of the several hundred executive officials who sit atop the military, intelligence, diplomatic, and law enforcement departments and agencies that have as their mission the protection of America’s international and internal security. Large segments of the public continue to believe that America’s constitutionally established, dignified institutions are the locus of governmental power; by promoting that impression, both sets of institutions maintain public support. But when it comes to defining and protecting national security, the public’s impression is mistaken. America’s efficient institution makes most of the key decisions concerning national security, removed from public view and from the constitutional restrictions that check America’s dignified institutions. The United States has, in short, moved beyond a mere imperial presidency to a bifurcated system—a structure of double government—in which even the President now exercises little substantive control over the overall direction of U.S. national security policy. Whereas Britain’s dual institutions evolved towards a concealed republic, America’s have evolved in the opposite direction, toward greater centralization, less accountability, and emergent autocracy.

Glennon quotes an author called Nasr, then comments:

When it came to drones there were four formidable
unanimous voices in the Situaton Room: the CIA, the
Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the
Pentagon, and the White House’s counterterrorism adviser,
John Brennan. Defense Secretary Robert Gates . . . was
fully supportive of more drone attacks. Together, Brennan,
Gates, and the others convinced Obama of both the urgency
of counterterrorism and the imperative of viewing
America’s engagement with the Middle East and South
Asia through that prism. Their bloc by and large
discouraged debate over the full implications of this
strategy in national security meetings.(392)

What Nasr does not mention is that, for significant periods, all four voices were hold-overs from the Bush Administration; two Bush Administration officials, Michael J. Morell and David Petraeus, headed the CIA from July , 2011 to March 8, 2013.(393) The Director of National Intelligence, Dennis C. Blair, had served in the Bush Administration as Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Pacific Command and earlier as Director of the Joint Staff in the Office of the Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff;(394) Brennan had been Bush’s Director of the National Counterterrorism Center;(395) and Gates had served as Bush’s Secretary of Defense.(396)

Gates of course is a key player in the permanent National Security State since the 1960s and a long-time Bush mob veteran with deep involvement in the Iran-Contra crimes. With Baker (similar pedigree), he authored the Iraq report under Bush-Rumsfeld that called for a deescalation. Just to underline the national security state's essentially Machiavellian divide between what is said and what is done, when Gates replaced Rumsfeld after the 2006 election, he oversaw the bloody escalation, "the surge." He then oversaw the Afghanistan "surge" under Obama.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon May 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Project Willow » Sat May 10, 2014 2:00 pm wrote:Wow. Thanks for this. What a valuable piece to offer when confronted with conspiracy whacko labeling and disengagement, a well resourced structural analysis of what has gone wrong and why we can't vote our way out of it. Somebody send it to Chomsky.

Yes. This is going into my hit list of frequently cited works in debates.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm

"The architects of power in the United States must create a force that can be felt but not seen. Power remains strong when it remains in the dark; exposed to the sunlight it begins to evaporate."

Samuel Huntington in 1981
Wombaticus Rex

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Fri May 16, 2014 1:07 pm wrote:"The architects of power in the United States must create a force that can be felt but not seen. Power remains strong when it remains in the dark; exposed to the sunlight it begins to evaporate."

Samuel Huntington in 1981

Power

Samuel Huntington
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby elfismiles » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm

GO BOSTON GLOBE!!!

Vote all you want. The secret government won’t change.
The people we elect aren’t the ones calling the shots, says Tufts University’s Michael Glennon
By Jordan Michael Smith | October 19, 2014
http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/1 ... nt=event25

Book review
‘National Security and Double Government’ by Michael J. Glennon
By Mickey Edwards | Globe Correspondent October 18, 2014
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2 ... story.html

Wombaticus Rex » 10 May 2014 13:35 wrote:PDF: http://harvardnsj.org/wp-content/upload ... -Final.pdf

Abstract
National security policy in the United States has remained largely constant
from the Bush Administration to the Obama Administration. This continuity

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm

:)

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:58 pm

10/22/14 Michael Glennon

Michael Glennon, Professor of International Law and author of National Security and Double Government, discusses his article “Vote all you want. The secret government won’t change.“

Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 23:44 — 10.9MB)
http://dissentradio.com/radio/14_10_22_glennon.mp3

http://scotthorton.org/interviews/2014/ ... l-glennon/

elfismiles » 20 Oct 2014 22:37 wrote:GO BOSTON GLOBE!!!

Vote all you want. The secret government won’t change.
The people we elect aren’t the ones calling the shots, says Tufts University’s Michael Glennon
By Jordan Michael Smith | October 19, 2014
http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/1 ... nt=event25

Book review
‘National Security and Double Government’ by Michael J. Glennon
By Mickey Edwards | Globe Correspondent October 18, 2014
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2 ... story.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Elvis » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:06 pm

The PDF (http://harvardnsj.org/wp-content/upload ... -Final.pdf) is taken down. I think I saved it, but just sayin'.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Wombaticus Rex

Next

Return to General Discussion