Female Spree Killers Master Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Female Spree Killers Master Thread

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am

elfismiles » 10 Jun 2014 13:44 wrote:
JackRiddler » 10 Jun 2014 04:20 wrote:Actually she's the third female mass shooter in the U.S., but sorry, they're a couple and so she doesn't count as stand-alone. It's not clear she'd have ever gone this route on her own, though not impossible -- they are saying she shot him and then herself, reversing the usual "murder-suicide" pattern.

The two prior female mass shooters were Brenda "I Don't Like Mondays" Spencer (1979) & Amy Bishop (2010), the one who massacred her fellow biology professors after they rejected her tenure bid. I started an RI thread for that one, titling it something like "first female mass shooter," but I'd forgot about Brenda Spencer. And this despite the song, which I sing to myself all the time. (Ah, Geldof, if only you'd ever only been known for the Boomtown Rats, I would like you still!)

Whoa! Thanks for that Jack! I know I've heard this song but somehow I had not grokked the lyrics, didn't realize it was about shootings nor that it includes a reference to a mind-control chip in her head! \<]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LxTlEkYUI

The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload,
And nobody's gonna go to school today,
She's going to make them stay at home,
And daddy doesn't understand it,
He always said she was as good as gold,
And he can see no reason
Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown

'Tell me why
I don like Mondays'(x3)
I want to shoot
The whole day down

The Telex machine is kept so clean
As it types to a waiting world,
And Mother feels so shocked,
Father's world is rocked,
And their thoughts turn to
Their own little girl
Sweet 16 ain't that peachy keen,
No, it ain't so neat to admit defeat,
They can see no reasons
Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need

'Tell me why
I don like Mondays' (x3)
I want to shoot
The whole day down

And now the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with her toys a while
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die,
And then the bullhorn crackles,
And the captain crackles,
With the problems and the how's and why's
And he can see no reasons
Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die..die
ohh~

'Tell me why
I don like Mondays' (x7)
I want to shoot
The whole day down

Read more: Bob Geldof - I Don't Like Monday Lyrics | MetroLyrics

EDITED to clarify quote sourcing.

Cleveland Elementary School shooting

Date: January 29, 1979

Target: Students and faculty at Cleveland Elementary School

Attack type: School shooting, murder

Weapons: Ruger 10/22 semi-automatic .22 caliber rifle

Deaths: 2
Non-fatal injuries: 9
Perpetrator: Brenda Spencer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

Breaking - First ever female rampage killing?
Post by JackRiddler » 13 Feb 2010 05:58
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27099
Last edited by elfismiles on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Female Spree Killers Master Thread

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:14 am

Cute. Can we count Spencer as a classic one-person rampage shooting against incidental stranger targets? I ask only because her act was early in the category's modern history (the archaic or Charles Whitman era) and lacked much of the context, i.e. the forms and precedents through which it could be understood as such and arranged in a series - a pantheon? - which we've had since Columbine especially. She didn't have the social inspiration of these modern types, who literally announce their antecedents as heroes, and was thus a one-off wonder, a "disturbed child," where the annoying media question was about what was wrong with her, and not "where did we go wrong as a society?" But let's count her, for the sake of argument. Cases in 1978 and 2010. This implies you may have a while to wait before there's another one to add to this thread. Any internationals? (Rampage killers only please: "mercy killing" nurses and killers of their own children are in the serial killers' box.)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 am

JackRiddler » 10 Jun 2014 14:14 wrote:Cute. Can we count Spencer as a classic one-person rampage shooting against incidental stranger targets? I ask only because her act was early in the category's modern history (the archaic or Charles Whitman era) and lacked much of the context, i.e. the forms and precedents through which it could be understood as such and arranged in a series - a pantheon? - which we've had since Columbine especially. She didn't have the social inspiration of these modern types, who literally announce their antecedents as heroes, and was thus a one-off wonder, a "disturbed child," where the annoying media question was about what was wrong with her, and not "where did we go wrong as a society?" But let's count her, for the sake of argument. Cases in 1978 and 2010. This implies you may have a while to wait before there's another one to add to this thread. Any internationals? (Rampage killers only please: "mercy killing" nurses and killers of their own children are in the serial killers' box.)

Good questions as always Jack.

I'm only now discovering her case and am just going off the Wikipedia entry (will have to review Coleman's Copycat Effect book later)...

Acquaintances later said Spencer expressed hostility toward policemen, had talked about shooting one, and had talked of doing something big to get on TV.[2][5]
In early 1978, staff at a facility for problem pupils, which Spencer had been referred to due to truancy, informed her parents that she was suicidal. That summer Spencer, who was known to hunt birds in the neighborhood, was arrested for shooting out the windows of Cleveland Elementary with a BB gun, and burglary.[2]
2.^ Jump up to: a b c "School Sniper Bragged Of "Something Big To Get On TV"". AP. January 30, 1979. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
5.^ Jump up to: a b "Sniping suspect had a grim goal". The Milwaukee Journal. January 29, 1979. Retrieved 26 March 2013.

The shooting I survived was a few months later... perhaps news coverage of Spencer's shooting influenced Ira Attebury.

Ira Attebury Shooting at 1979 Battle of Flowers Parade
Post by elfismiles » 05 Aug 2011 16:48
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32763

Did Geldof base his lyric about a micro-chip on actual testimony of Spencer's?

I'm not sure whether to segregate spree-killers who worked as a team (as in this recent Miller's case and "Bonnie and Clyde" type cases) from this thread.
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:14 am

elfismiles » 10 Jun 2014 14:51 wrote:Did Geldof base his lyric about a micro-chip on actual testimony of Spencer's?

The song was first performed less than a month later. Geldof explained how he wrote the song:

I was doing a radio interview in Atlanta with Fingers and there was a telex machine beside me. I read it as it came out. Not liking Mondays as a reason for doing somebody in is a bit strange. I was thinking about it on the way back to the hotel and I just said 'Silicon chip inside her head had switched to overload'. I wrote that down. And the journalists interviewing her said, 'Tell me why?' It was such a senseless act. It was the perfect senseless act and this was the perfect senseless reason for doing it. So perhaps I wrote the perfect senseless song to illustrate it. It wasn't an attempt to exploit tragedy.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Like_Mondays
elfismiles

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Yeah, I always thought of the "silicon chip" as a metaphor. As in, there will be no answer to "Tell me why." On the other hand, it's available as a metaphor because already back then we could all understand the concept, that one day (or possibly somewhere already) a literal silicon chip inside someone's head could take them over.

Wow, elfismiles, I had never seen the thread on the Battle of Flowers killings you posted. Sorry anyone had to be present for that. Thanks for telling us.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby stefano » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:38 pm

So, do couples count? Because that business in Las Vegas reminded me quite strongly of something that happened in Paris 20 years ago: the Rey-Maupin affair. A couple of fairly marginal people fall in love, romanticise their social isolation as something unique and transcendent, feel a strong resonance with a mass media product of the day (Natural Born Killers, in the case of Rey and Maupin), start talking about murder, then one day go out and kill. Also political overtones in that case - hard left, though, with them living in a squat and being involved in the anarchist movement. but the romanticising of revolution and overthrowing the old order was there. Murderous folie a deux, it's not that uncommon except for the mass media aspect of it.

Florence Rey (born August 27, 1975) and her boyfriend Audry Maupin (born April 20, 1972) were involved in a shoot-out in central Paris on October 4, 1994 following a high speed car chase. The incident caused the deaths of five people; three policemen, a taxi driver, and Maupin.

Wiki glosses over it but at the time much was made of the couple's fascination with the movie. Natural Born Killers came out when I was at school and definitely resonated exceptionally powerfully with the outcasts.

On edit - Florence Rey never actually killed anyone, Maupin did all the deadly shooting. She's out of jail now.
stefano

Postby elfismiles » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 am

Was just reminded ...

Historian of the Strange wrote: 6 hrs ·

The modern era of school shootings began on January 29, 1979, in San Diego, California. 16-year old Brenda Spencer fired a .22 caliber rifle from her house, at children and teachers across the street at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School, killing the principal and custodian, wounding seven students, and a policeman. Spencer is still in jail while her father continues to live in the house. The reason she gave for the shooting, "I don't like Mondays", inspired a popular song

https://www.facebook.com/historianofthe ... 433610061/

Active Shooter San Bernardino
Post by seemslikeadream » 02 Dec 2015
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39367
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Am wondering if this was truly intended as a "spree" or "mass" shooting event or if perhaps it was the shooter's intention to kill one specific fellow student?

At least one dead, one hurt in Texas school shooting -TV report 1 / 25
Reuters / 1 hr ago

Alpine High School students at high school being evacuated after reports of an active shooter on campus in Alpine, Texas, on Sept. 8, 2016. © Alpine Avalanche Alpine High School students at high school being evacuated after reports of an active shooter on campus in Alpine, Texas, on Sept. 8, 2016.

AUSTIN, Texas, Sept 8 (Reuters) - A female student shot and wounded a fellow student in the Alpine High School in West Texas on Thursday and then died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, news outlets in the town reported, quoting the county sheriff.

The shootings prompted an evacuation of the high school and other schools were put on lockdown in the remote town of about 6,000 people some 200 miles southeast of El Paso in Brewster County, officials said.

"This community did not expect this. We don't want this and we can't explain it yet," Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson said in an interview with KWES-TV.

The names and ages of the two students have not yet been released, Dodson said. The student who survived, "had run out into the street and some local people picked her up and took her to the hospital," he said.

Several shots were fired in the school's band hall, where the suspected shooter was found dead with a weapon, Dodson told KWES. It showed video of students consoling each other near the school.

One federal officer responding to the incident was shot by accident by a colleague, Dodson said.

Officers were also on the scene of nearby Sul Ross State University because of a reported bomb threat, he said.

"I'm not (used) to all this craziness that is going on in Alpine," wrote Facebook user Anna Maria, whose profile lists Alpine as her residence. "Much to do in my little town."

Alpine Middle School, which is about a mile from the high school, said in a Facebook post that it was in "a critical lockdown. Everyone is safe and accounted for."

The United States has long been plagued by shootings at schools and colleges, some of which have claimed dozens of lives. The deadliest mass school shooting was in 2007, when a gunman slaughtered 32 people at Virginia Tech university. In 2012, a gunman shot dead 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

The deadliest attack on a U.S. high school occurred in Littleton, Colorado, in 1999, when a pair of heavily armed teenagers shot dead 12 students and a teacher at Columbine High School, wounding 20 others. In all three attacks, the shooters were male and they ended their rampages by killing themselves.

(Reporting by Jon Herskovitz; Additional reporting by Laila Kearney and Amy Tennery in New York, Scott Malone in Boston, Colleen Jenkins in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Ruthy Munoz in Washington; editing by Grant McCool)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-lea ... li=BBnb7Kz
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:14 pm

All those injured were women ... and even in this shooting there were initial reports of 2-shooters. And the (usual?) copycat / prank-caller nut-jobs?

Texas high school shooting: Girl shooter dead, 2 injured
By Jason Hanna, Joe Sutton and Ralph Ellis, CNN
A responding marshal also accidentally shot a Homeland Security, sheriff says; agent's condition isn't known
In the confusion that followed, numerous law enforcement officers rushed to the scene and a US marshal accidentally shot a Homeland Security agent, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson said.
Dodson said the agent was in stable condition; he didn't release the condition of the wounded student. Her injuries didn't appear to be life-threatening, the sheriff said.
The Brewster County Sheriff's Office initially said two shooters were believed to be on the loose, but Dodson said later that with the initial shooter dead, no others were being sought.
Authorities also were trying to find a person who telephoned bomb threats to an Alpine hospital and nearby Sul Ross State University, Dodson said. A note making a bomb threat was found on a motel door, he said.
"We had four active crime scenes," the sheriff said.
"None of the prank calls are coordinated or have anything to do with the shooting at the school," Scown said.
Officers with bomb-sniffing dogs searched each university building for explosives, Dodson said. None were found.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/08/us/texas- ... -shooting/
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Wonder if this will pan out as an actual "spree killing" or if it was more personally motivated...

Two students shot at Salvador Castro Middle School; one in critical condition. 12-year-old girl is in custody

By Brittny Mejia, Howard Blume and Sonali Kohli
Feb 01, 2018 | 12:30 PM

A 12-year-old girl is in police custody after a shooting at Salvador Castro Middle School on Thursday that left two students injured, one critically.

The gunfire erupted in a classroom shortly after the school day had begun and caused numerous students to run from the area, according to Los Angeles Police Officer Drake Madison.

When authorities responded around 8:55 a.m., they found a 15-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the head and a 15-year-old girl shot in the wrist.

The boy is in critical condition and the girl is in fair condition, according to Los Angeles Fire Capt. Erik Scott. Three others, a 30-year-old woman, an 11-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl, suffered minor abrasions, some from glass, he said.

The suspected shooter was taken into custody and a firearm was recovered. Helicopter news footage showed two officers leading a handcuffed girl with long hair, jeans and a sweatshirt to a waiting squad car. Robert Arcos, a deputy chief with the Los Angeles Police Department, said it was too early to determine any motive in the shooting.

Investigators are still conducting interviews to determine whether the shooting was intentional or a "terrible accident," he said.

In a morning press conference, Los Angeles School Police Chief Steve Zipperman said he did not know how a young person got access to a gun and brought it to campus, but warned gun owners to keep their weapons secure and away from children.

"Los Angeles has a law about the safe storage of weapons," L.A. City Atty. Mike Feuer added. "Every responsible gun owner needs to take heed."

The school is safe, Zipperman said, but remained on lockdown. School officials directed parents to an information center at Belmont Avenue and Beverly Boulevard, or asked them to call (213) 241-1000 for information

Students are to be dismissed on the school's regular schedule, but parents can pick up their children earlier if they wish.

Worried parents descended on the campus throughout the morning to pick up their children. Among them was Tyresha McNair, who came with her young niece. She had seen news of the shooting on TV and came to get her daughter, who is a student at the middle school.

She hadn't yet received a notification from the school.

"I saw it on the news and I came here to get my baby," she said.

At the front gate of the school, McNair said she was directed to the back, which was blocked off. She said she had been texting her daughter, but hadn't heard back.

"Any other time my baby would respond and she's not responding," McNair said. "I just want my daughter, I want my daughter."

In the process of clearing the scene, students were led from the classroom in handcuffs, patted down and then released.

Castro Middle School is located in a building across the street from the main Belmont High School campus. The middle school building used to be part of Belmont High when the high school had a higher enrollment.

Zipperman said on KNX-AM (1070) that the school takes part in the district's safety plan, which includes random searches of students for weapons and other contraband.

The Los Angeles Unified School District is the only district its size that requires every middle- and high-school campus to conduct daily random searches for weapons using metal-detecting wands.

However, an internal district audit of 20 schools released in April found inconsistencies in how random searches were conducted. Some schools failed to do the searches daily, the audit found. One-fourth lacked enough metal-detecting wands to search properly.

The district started random searches in 1993 after a 16-year-old was shot and killed at Fairfax High School. A month later, a student died from a shooting at Reseda High School.

The district began requiring the daily searches with metal-detecting wands in 2011 after two students were injured in a shooting at Gardena High School, district officials said.

At an informal presentation in January of good-attendance certificates, Principal Erick Mitchell said his campus was becoming a destination for families who wanted a smaller school setting. Last year, Castro Middle had an enrollment of 355 students.

The enrollment is 92% Latino, and most students are from low-income families.

Mitchell added that the school has made academic strides because more students are coming in better prepared from elementary school and because the school has emphasized long-term goals such as college and career.

This focus also has improved overall student behavior, he said.

"We have a new culture here," Mitchell said. "I love this school. We have really good kids here. It's the best-kept secret in town."

UPDATES:

12:30 p.m.: This article was updated throughout with additional details.

11:15 a.m.: This article was updated with comments from a parent.

10:40 a.m.: This article was updated with details on the school and injuries.

10 a.m.: This article was updated with details on the suspected shooter.

9:45 a.m.: This article was updated with details on victims.

9:25 a.m.: This article was updated with a report of two people injured.

This article was originally published at 9:15 a.m.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
elfismiles

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 pm

stefano » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:38 pm wrote:So, do couples count?

Only if they are like the pair in Baise-moi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p60xKBqyEOQ

Maybe m/f couples count if the woman is actually shooting as much as the man.

JackRiddler

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:20 pm

:starz:

YouTube shooting: Suspect killed self after wounding three, police say
Female shooter believed dead after opening fire at the online giant’s San Bruno campus Tuesday afternoon
Previous

A YouTube sign is shown across the street from the company's offices in San Bruno, Calif., Tuesday, April 3, 2018.

A woman opened fire at YouTube headquarters Tuesday, setting off a panic among employees and wounding at least four people before fatally shooting herself, police and witnesses said. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: Police walk outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Carl's Jr. workers and others sit in a shopping center parking lot near YouTube's offices in San Bruno, Calif., Tuesday, April 3, 2018. A woman opened fire at YouTube headquarters Tuesday, setting off a panic among employees and wounding several people before fatally shooting herself, police and witnesses said. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
Sound
Law enforcement stands watch outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Police walk outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Police look on as employees walk across the streer outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. A woman opened fire at the facility, wounding four people before taking her own life, according to authorities. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Police in tactical gear walk outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. A woman opened fire at the facility, wounding four people before taking her own life, according to authorities. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Police in tactical gear walk outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. A woman opened fire at the facility, wounding four people before taking her own life, according to authorities. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Officers run toward a YouTube office in San Bruno, Calif., Tuesday, April 3, 2018. Police say they’re responding to an active shooter at YouTube headquarters. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
This image taken from video from KGO-TV shows a person is searched as police respond to reports of a shooting at YouTube headquarters in the city of San Bruno, Calif., on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. City Manager Connie Jackson says there have been multiple 911 calls reporting a shooting and that police and fire officials have responded. (KGO-TV via AP)
Officers walk near a YouTube office in San Bruno, Calif., Tuesday, April 3, 2018. Police in Northern California are responding to reports of a shooting at YouTube headquarters in the city of San Bruno. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
A video grab from a video released on Twitter by Bryce C. shows emergency vehicles responding to reports of an active shooter at YouTube's offices in San Bruno, California April 3, 2018.
/ AFP PHOTO / Hand-Out / BRYCE C. /
Media gather outside during an active shooting at YouTube's offices in San Bruno, California on April 3, 2018.
Gunshots erupted at YouTube's offices in California Tuesday, sparking a panicked escape by employees and a massive police response.Some media reports said several people were injured. San Bruno police warned on Twitter to stay away from the area housing the headquarters of the Google-owned video sharing service near San Francisco.
/ AFP PHOTO / Hand-Out / Josh EdelsonJOSH EDELSON/AFP/Getty Images
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: Police walk outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: San Bruno police chief Ed Barberini speaks to members of the media outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: Police survey the scene outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: San Bruno police chief Ed Barberini speaks to members of the media outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: Police put on tactical gear outside of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: Police officers stand by in front of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
SAN BRUNO, CA - APRIL 03: Police officers stand by in front of the YouTube headquarters on April 3, 2018 in San Bruno, California. Police are investigating an active shooter incident at YouTube headquarters that has left at least one person dead and several wounded. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
A YouTube sign is shown across the street from the company's offices in San Bruno, Calif., Tuesday, April 3, 2018. A woman opened fire at YouTube headquarters Tuesday, setting off a panic among employees and wounding at least four people before fatally shooting herself, police and witnesses said. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
Next
1 of 21

By ROBERT SALONGA | rsalonga@bayareanewsgroup.com, JULIA PRODIS SULEK | jsulek@bayareanewsgroup.com and SEUNG LEE | slee@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 3, 2018 at 1:21 pm | UPDATED: April 3, 2018 at 4:07 pm
SAN BRUNO — A woman appears to have shot and killed herself after opening fire at YouTube headquarters Tuesday afternoon and wounding three people, according to San Bruno police.

Chief Ed Barberini said the person believed to be the shooter was found dead, from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. The San Mateo County Coroner’s Office has confirmed that they have been summoned to the site.

Barberini said police were called at 12:46 p.m. to the online video giant’s Cherry Avenue campus for reports of gunfire, and responding officers were met by a multitude of fleeing employees.

“It was very chaotic, as you can imagine,” Barberini said.

The chief said officers soon found a victim with a gunshot wound near the entrance, and soon after came upon the suspected shooter at an outdoor patio, dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. The eventually found two other shooting victims, and Barberini affirmed that there was no longer any active threat.

Start your day with the news you need from the Bay Area and beyond.

“We have one subject who is deceased inside the building with a self-inflicted wound at this time, (who) we believe to be the shooter,” Barberini said.

Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital has acknowledged receiving patients from YouTube, but the range of their injures was not fully disclosed.

Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital spokesman Brent Andrew said the facility has received a 32-year-old woman in serious condition, a 27-year-old woman in fair condition and a 36-year-old man in critical condition.

Trauma surgeon Dr. Andre Campbell declined to detail the victims’ wounds, but said none had undergone surgery as of Tuesday afternoon. He added that the male victim’s critical status stemmed from blood loss.

Campbell said all of the patients are awake, and “shocked like we are.” He also lamented the occurrence of yet another multiple-casualty shooting, and added that gunshot victims are a regular instance at his hospital.

“We have a serious problem we need to address,” Campbell said.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

David DeBolt

@daviddebolt
Dr. Andre Campbell, trauma surgeon: “This is unfortunate and it continues” he said, naming other mass shootings. #youtubeshooting

5:31 PM - Apr 3, 2018
See David DeBolt's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Joe Fragola, a spokesman for Kaiser South San Francisco, said that facility has received a female victim, but that she was not shot, and suffered a possible sprained ankle.

Stanford Hospital confirmed that no victims were sent there, contrary to early reports.

“We don’t have any patients at this time but we are on standby,” spokeswoman Lisa Kim said.

Michael Finney, a 21-year-old supervisor at Carl’s Jr. across the street, was in the bathroom during the shooting and didn’t hear anything until he came out and saw a woman in the booth near the front door bleeding from the calf with two friends frantically trying to stem the bleeding.

He rushed over to help.

“I saw the lady was shot in the calf,” he said. “Her friends were trying to put pressure on the wound.”

At first they used the victim’s own sweatshirt, twisted it tightly and tied it above her calf but it wasn’t helping.

“Everyone was figuring out what to do,” said Finney. “I was trying to stay calm and see what I could do. Everybody is shocked.”

Finney then ran into the office and rummaged through the desk and cupboards. He first came out with rubber bands that are used for rolling money.

“I tried rubber bands at first and of course it didn’t work,” he said.

He raced back to the office and found a bungee cord, and they wrapped it tightly above the victim’s calf until the paramedics arrived.

Finney said the woman looked to be in her 20s and was calm as they tried helping her.

Erick Zaragoza, a 22-year-old student from nearby Skyline College, had pulled into a restaurant parking lot half a block from YouTube headquarters when he heard the shooting.

“It had to be at least 15 gunshots,” he said. “I’m seeing people running and thinking, what’s going on?”

Zaragoza said one of the chefs from the restaurant approached him and said there was a woman with a gun firing at people on YouTube’s patio.

After that, Zaragoza went to a nearby Carl’s Jr. closer to the shooting scene, where he saw a female gunshot victim being treated in an ambulance.

“They had one lady in the ambulance. Her leg was bandaged up but she otherwise looked fine,” he said. “It was pretty crazy, honestly. I’m thinking what the hell?”

Asked about the chef who witnessed the shooter firing at people, Zaragoza said, “He looked out of breath. He said he was fine but there was a lady shooting.”

The chef told him there was a lot of people on the patio, which worried him. The patio is on the Interstate 280 side of the campus and is located near the front of the building.

San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa lauded the police and citizen response to the shooting, and voiced confidence that the community will bounce back from the violence.

“I commend the YouTube employees who maintained their composure during this tragic event and the incredible response by law enforcement officers who quickly secured the campus,” Canepa said in a statement. “This is a resilient community that will recover with each other’s support. I assure the survivors that they will not be alone in their recoveries. ”

Google, which owns YouTube, has told its employees to stay away from the San Bruno site and referred them to an internal hotline for more information and instruction.

Google Communications

@Google_Comms
We advised all other employees in the Bay Area, and people with meetings scheduled, to stay away from the area, and that there is no need to take any action. We have provided employees a helpline.

4:33 PM - Apr 3, 2018
657 people are talking about this
One YouTube employee tweeted from inside the headquarters saying he was barricaded inside a room until his room was evacuated.

“Heard shots and saw people running while at my desk. Now barricaded inside a room with coworkers,” tweeted the employee, Vadim Lavrusik.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Was just briefed on the shooting at YouTube’s HQ in San Bruno, California. Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved. Thank you to our phenomenal Law Enforcement Officers and First Responders that are currently on the scene.

4:49 PM - Apr 3, 2018
18.6K people are talking about this

Tim Cook

@tim_cook
From everyone at Apple, we send our sympathy and support to the team at YouTube and Google, especially the victims and their families.

4:52 PM - Apr 3, 2018
3,059 people are talking about this

Nancy Pelosi

@NancyPelosi
My staff & I are closely following developments from the active shooter situation at YouTube HQ in San Bruno, CA. Thank you to our heroic first responders. Our Bay Area community – and all American communities – deserve real action to #EndGunViolence.

4:04 PM - Apr 3, 2018
2,762 people are talking about this

Sen Dianne Feinstein

@SenFeinstein
My stomach sinks with yet another active shooter alert. I’m praying for the safety of everyone at YouTube headquarters.

4:09 PM - Apr 3, 2018
987 people are talking about this
YouTube purchased the San Bruno office park for $215 million in January 2016. YouTube’s headquarters, which is nestled between the Interstate 380 and Bayhill Shopping Center, can host between 2,500 and 2,800 workers.

The shooting comes as YouTube plans this month to modify its policy on gun sales. The popular video site announced it would ban content that promotes the sale of guns and accessories like bump stocks, which modify guns to fire rapidly. YouTube announced the new guidelines just days before last month’s March for Our Lives gun-control rallies.

The change sparked criticism from gun rights groups, like the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearms industry trade group, which called the new policies “troubling” and “worrisome.”

Check back later for updates to this story.

Staff writers David DeBolt, Emily DeRuy, Tatiana Sanchez and Kellie Ann Benz contributed to this report.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/03/ ... dquarters/
elfismiles

Postby barracuda » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 am

soldier_nasim_model-509x389.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barracuda

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:20 am

Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 am

In this video, she says her aim is to promote "healthy, humane and smart living" and that YouTube was trying to stifle her.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/S ... 11713.html

In a video posted in January 2017, Nasim Aghdam says YouTube “discriminated and filtered” her content. In the video Aghdam says her channel used to get lots of views but that after being filtered by the company, it received fewer views.

She fired 30-40 shots from her handgun.
http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/04/04/who ... s-shooter/
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Next

Return to General Discussion