Towards a new RI

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Towards a new RI

Postby Project Willow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 pm

seemslikeadream » 28 Jul 2014 08:23 wrote:just hyperbole man just hyperbole...It could have possibly been hyperbole when a mod does it it's hyperbole ...when I do it it's daft ..of course

barracuda » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am wrote:
seemslikeadream » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 am wrote:not 40%.....not 20%...not 10%....probably more like 1%

It could have possibly been hyperbole.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings SLAD. I don't have anything against you in general, I never have, it's just the one particular habit (shared with others here too) of never letting go of an old feud that does indeed annoy me to the nth degree, and I felt like I couldn't keep it in anymore. Hopefully you won't hold it against me forever. ;)
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby brekin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:22 pm

barracuda wrote:

And then I think to myself, "oh, you british guys: how the hell do you live with yourselves knowing that in every aspect of your country - your government, your financial sector, entertainment, and religious institutions, (and probably all the rest of it), children are raped and abused as a matter of common course? Why haven't you stopped it yet?", and I say to myself, "oh yeah, but maybe this is some weird part of their culture they can't transcend…" and then I'm like, "oh yeah, but Sir Evelyn Robert de Rothschild, "CIty of London", Larouche,…"

And holy hell, I'm an American, christ, that's the biggest, most twisted raping Nazi sack-o-shit FUBAR to ever exist, ever. Why haven't I stopped it yet? Am I just a useless imperial zionist drone? Paying my taxes? Or a Fourth Reich stooge, a brownshirt fanboy furiously assuaging my guilt by touristing the fora at http://www.secretnazi.com.

I think what barracuda says here is an apt assessment of certain terminal stages for certain posters of forums like this. (Not barracuda per se here, I can't see into his mind...yet. But in general.) See, I was reading Blowing Up Russia awhile back and it was interesting because there was a sentence stating something like (I'm paraphrasing, bastardizing a bit here) "this isn't a mystery novel who dunnit, but a catalog of incidents". But don't most of us want the "mystery novel who dunnit" deep down? Basically, I think there is a destination addiction, building a mystery type fascination with a lot of the themes here on RI and elsewhere, where you think you are on a incredible conspiracy Easter egg hunt uncovering secrets. After awhile though there really aren't any more major reveals which can't be anticipated to some degree, if not to spec but in kind. There are always new events sure, but the mechanisms seem to be pretty steady. After a point, knowing what you know, which in many ways isn't hidden very well because general indifference makes it hidden in plain sight, the question is what are you going to do? This is where the door to activism opens. And only the naive would jump through that door after researching a bit what others have suffered in taking on such themes.

But, on the other hand, if activism of the sort of actually getting off your ass and doing more than posting is out, you are perpetually building the mystery (via blog posts, "researching", etc), you probably are to a large degree wedded to the themes because you like the aesthetics, paranoid romanticism and bric a brac of the RI style. Part of you doesn't want these horrible conspiracies to be untrue because you've committed to the mystery, the thrill would be gone if there weren't Bond type villains doing occult type things down at the grove. And if instead of building the mystery you are in it to just perpetually catalog the events, you have to become somewhat indifferent to the material after awhile. Your basically the year book editor for the Bond Villains in a sense.

Just my take. RI Apprentice must choose after a certain point whether to be an activist, avid fanboy, or dry cataloger. (We are all probably an amalgam of the three with one more dominant than the other two.) There is also the fourth option to go semi-pro and make some money off of the conspiracy industry, as an authentic or faux activist.

Last edited by brekin on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby tapitsbo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:20 pm

once you start researching how history/religion/philosophy/esotericism/etc overlap with these topics you could get lost "building the mystery" for life, or get lost pretty easily at all kinds of points in the journey.
tapitsbo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm

brekin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm wrote:I think what barracuda says here is an apt assessment of certain terminal stages for certain posters of forums like this. (Not barracuda per se here, I can't see into his mind...yet. But in general.) See, I was reading Blowing Up Russia awhile back and it was interesting because there was a sentence stating something like (I'm paraphrasing, bastardizing a bit here) "this isn't a mystery novel who dunnit, but a catalog of incidents". But don't most of us want the "mystery novel who dunnit" deep down? Basically, I think there is a destination addiction, building a mystery type fascination with a lot of the themes here on RI and elsewhere, where you think you are on a incredible conspiracy Easter egg hunt uncovering secrets. After awhile though there really aren't any more major reveals which can be anticipated to some degree, if not to spec but in kind. There are always new events sure, but the mechanisms seem to be pretty steady. After a point, knowing what you know, which in many ways isn't hidden very well because general indifference makes it hidden in plain sight, the question is what are you going to do? This is where the door to activism opens. And only the naive would jump through that door after researching a bit what others have suffered in taking on such themes.

But, on the other hand, if activism of the sort of actually getting off your ass and doing more than posting is out, you are perpetually building the mystery (via blog posts, "researching", etc), you probably are to a large degree wedded to the themes because you like the aesthetics, paranoid romanticism and bric a brac of the RI style. Part of you doesn't want these horrible conspiracies to be untrue because you've committed to the mystery, the thrill would be gone if there weren't Bond type villains doing occult type things down at the grove. And if instead of building the mystery you are in it to just perpetually catalog the events, you have to become somewhat indifferent to the material after awhile. Your basically the year book editor for the Bond Villains in a sense.

Just my take. RI Apprentice must choose after a certain point whether to be an activist, avid fanboy, or dry cataloger. (We are all probably an amalgam of the three with one more dominant than the other two.) There is also the fourth option to go semi-pro and make some money off of the conspiracy industry, as an authentic or faux activist.

Great post. I always assume that activism was the aspiration, but I might still be too green to understand the real dangers behind it.

What is the fifth level - that transcendent being of light capable of remote viewing any point in time and space? For some researching these subjects, that must be a goal.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Col. Quisp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:02 pm

JackRiddler » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm wrote:Quisp! Because you're not around enough for my taste, it is my pleasure to point you to this:

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/sear ... ive_topics

That's "View active topics," to which there is a link right at the top of every index page on this site. Even though you see it every time you come here, it took me years to discover it! Once I did, I saw that it was the "Latest Threads" feature I had called for many times, not realizing that it had been here all along. It shows all updated threads, no matter from which sub-forum, in reverse chronological order of the latest update. Once I started using that as my interface for RI (except when posting a new thread - you have to do that through a specific board), it sort of made sub-fora obsolete for me.

However, I would love to see the following change, if someone like drew can code it for phpBB: Every new OP should include the requirement of specifying the sub-board to which it belongs. That would revive the sub-fora as subject indexes that one could usefully visit, and maybe defuse some of this fighting over which thread belongs where.

thanks, JR! I was not aware of the Latest Threads feature. Pretty cool! I'd like to post here more often but just don't have the time or not feeling very eloquent lately. Not that i ever was. Anyway, I'm one of the Doom-WOO people so it's best if I don't post. LOL

Still, thanks for the compliment. I do try to pop in regularly to read posts. Good luck on your Ph.D..
Col. Quisp

Postby semper occultus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm

yes Brekin's post was amusingly good although I think just trying to understand "..how the world really works.." would be another ( my ) way of summing up the motivational angle to putting on the RI goggles & diving deep into the black lagoon ..

...this doesn't imply that having achieved a modicum of success in that aim means you are in a much better position to actually alter any of it......a realisation that may have deleterious effects on some , reinforcing cynicism, alienating them from those "sheeple" who haven't woken-up

activism can go in the wrong direction aswell , towards undesirable actions or politics that seem to offer answers....this is clearly what's happening to kids falling into the hands of jihadi groups....
semper occultus

Postby The Consul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Back to the OP....everyone here is full shit. Some perhaps more than others. Getting hackles up and all personally worse-analy on a discussion board is really, well, pathetic (I know because I have). The board should henceforth procede with some kind of NFL modicum and sense of decency. Not football, sillies...National Forensics League. Post unto others kinda thing. Oh, and I totally agree with the 3800 word posts of full articles (fair use, anyone?). Snippet with link is the more thoughtful route. Cheers!
Last edited by The Consul on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

So hey, how about some new moderators, yeah?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Laodicean » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 pm wrote:So hey, how about some new moderators, yeah?

:rofl2 You're stuck with the shitty job, Wom. It's appreciated.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm wrote:So hey, how about some new moderators, yeah?

I think that's a fabulous idea. New moderators and more moderators.

I honestly cannot think of anyone I would nominate though. Not that there are not fair, honest people here fully capable of being moderators, but those are generally the people I like as they are and I would not want them to change. Like I never wanted c2w to be a mod, though she was a clear choice.

Ok. How about Thee Op Ed, Norton, and stefano. between the three of them they might amount to one moderator.

Perhaps you should take applications via pm.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 pm

One of the greatest things here is the monster threads that run for literally years - some of them for five, six, seven years. I'm talking about the Egyptian revolution thread, "Top Secret America," JFK disinfo 2013, the current Malaysia plane crashes thread, etc. It doesn't matter who started'em. They can turn into awesome archives, resources that cover all aspects of an issue, invaluable chronicles of developing stories. They become histories, they give us a collective memory that we can browse through for much greater understanding than if we just have isolated articles with a few comments that then drop off the board.

This is why you won't find me complaining about "TIDS," because AD is keeping that as a single archive. He's trying to do something in depth, that's what RI should be about. If you don't like the results in that case, you can ignore the thread. (Again, for those who want it in a sub-forum: there's only one forum, it's called "Latest threads" and it shows the newest bumped threads of ALL forums.)

Same deal with the complaints about long excerpts or whole articles. These are so useful! They help you read a whole bunch of related articles on a single thread, in context, without interruption. Like a book. It's important to link back to originals and thus encourage people to check those sites out. Is scrolling really such a chore?! Also, archiving full articles counteracts the Memory Hole. You can find articles here that have been deleted from the original sites, or that have been CHANGED. This is a service, I do believe. In addition, RI people often take the opportunity to annotate with their own comments and analysis.

The opposite extreme is in pointless thread proliferation. Again, doesn't matter who starts'em, lots of people do, I do sometimes too. Sometimes the same issue will be covered in multiple stories on consecutive days, when these could be added to monster threads. Sometimes people who started a new thread about something yesterday will today start another one on the same subject (sometimes another two or three). I don't understand why some of the more prolific posters don't contribute toward consolidating the great monster threads, including in many cases THEIR OWN. That's too bad. I think too many new threads on current news are distracting. They detract from the possibility of adding stories to the monster threads and keeping those discussions more contextual and analytic. If we want daily news blasts, we can get those from Google News, or Facebook, or HuffPo, or whatever.

I hope RI can be something more, a place where we can maintain depth and analysis.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby The Consul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Well put. Mind changed on long excerpts.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby smiths » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 am

i have been using the 'view active posts' link, its great, thanks Riddler
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby BrandonD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:24 am

smiths » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 am wrote:i have been using the 'view active posts' link, its great, thanks Riddler

Yes I second that, I was unaware of that feature - thanks Riddler :)
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion