China to Create State-Sanctioned Version of Christianity

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

China to Create State-Sanctioned Version of Christianity

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 am

Via: http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/ ... hurch-says

This has gotta be one of the more insane headlines of the decade so far...

China will create own Christian belief system amid tensions with church, says official

New Chinese theology must suit Chinese culture and values, State Religious Affairs director says

China will construct a "Chinese Christian theology" suitable for the country, state media reported on Thursday, as both the number of believers and tensions with the authorities are on the rise.

China has between 23 million and 40 million Protestants, accounting for 1.7 to 2.9 per cent of the total population, the state-run China Daily said, citing figures given at a seminar in Shanghai.

About 500,000 people are baptised as Protestants every year, it added.

"Over the past decades, the Protestant churches in China have developed very quickly with the implementation of the country's religious policy," the paper quoted Wang Zuoan, director of the State Administration for Religious Affairs, as saying.

"The construction of Chinese Christian theology should adapt to China's national condition and integrate with Chinese culture."

China's ruling Communist Party is officially atheistic and keeps a tight grip on religion for fear it could challenge its grip on power. It requires believers to worship in places approved by the state and under government supervision.

Besides officially sanctioned churches, China also has "underground" or "house" churches which seek to exist outside government control and are occasionally raided and shut down.

In April, authorities in the eastern Chinese city of Wenzhou, known as China's Jerusalem, with more than a million Christians, demolished a church following government claims it was an illegal structure.

Though a registered church, state media reported that the building was far larger than originally approved.

"Over the past years, China's Protestantism has become one of the fastest growing universal churches," Gao Feng, president of the China Christian Council, was quoted as saying in the China Daily report.

It did not include a number for Catholics in China, who must also worship only in officially sanctioned churches which reject the Vatican's authority, though an "underground" church loyal to the Holy See also exists.

Experts estimate that there are as many as 12 million Catholics in China, split roughly evenly between the two churches.

As of the end of last year, China had published 65 million copies of the Bible, the report said, including minority-language editions.

The opening lede about "Chinese theology must suit Chinese culture and values" reminded me of something I read yesterday...

Via: https://medium.com/@DavidDWrites/you-pr ... 7422362422

There was a time when I was fed up with the idea of religion, Jesus and the way they’re both used to oppress seemingly as many people as they save.

I spent three months studying abroad in Ghana — in the villages and more impoverished areas of the country for the majority of that time — and I saw how so many “missionaries” were conflating “converting people to Christianity” with “convincing them that they’re uncivilized and need to be westernized.”

This all came with billboards of a blonde-haired blue-eyed Jesus. Churches where traditional African garb was replaced with suits and ties in 90-degree weather because that was somehow the proper way to worship.

I remember distinctly walking around with a White classmate of mine — he was blonde with a beard and sandals on — as he got stopped by a Ghanaian who couldn’t believe how much he looked like Jesus.

I spoke to one taxi driver who explained that Judas was the only Black person in the Bible. I saw firsthand the crippling mental oppression and inferiority that religion can bring. I didn’t want any part of it.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: China to Create State-Sanctioned Version of Christianity

Postby brekin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Wow. This is mind boggling. Constantine must be chuckling in his grave.
While this is progressive, and should be applauded, from a pragmatic viewpoint I wonder if the Chinese Communist Party has a death wish.
Communism is monolithic, and like Catholicism, only really flourishes when it has beat out the competition. Ethnic groups convert usually at different rates and one usually ends up monopolizing a religion and using it as justification to try and marginalize other ethnic groups. Doesn't China have enough problems already with Muslim ethnic groups? Why would you introduce a competing strain into an already volatile mix that weakens the universal binding (Communism) of all the elements? Also, having a "state-sanctioned version of Christianity" guarantees there will be a non-sanctioned version which will attract great numbers as the "pure" uncorrupted divine version. And since modern China is incredibly bureaucratic, unequal and corrupt, a non-state version drawing on a higher perfect model from an authority that is unchallengeable (because it is accountable) is going to be the version of choice. And no doubt that version will soon in short time have 31 different flavors of its own which will have their own sectarian conflicts.

Also, have they really imagined what a state-sanctioned version would be like? If it really held to Communist tenets and Christian tenets as they are on paper, you are looking at Liberation Theology.

Liberation theology[1] is a political movement in Roman Catholic theology which interprets the teachings of Jesus Christ in relation to a liberation from unjust economic, political, or social conditions. It has been described as "an interpretation of Christian faith through the poor's suffering, their struggle and hope, and a critique of society and the Catholic faith and Christianity through the eyes of the poor".[2] Detractors have called it Christianized Marxism.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology

How is such a by default revolutionary version of Christianity going to square with the grossly unequal rising capitalism and materialism of certain classes, to say nothing of introducing a messianic and divine element into Chinese Communist ideology? To me this just seems like the hubris of the ruling class thinking that they could manage limited Capitalism thinking they can now do the same with limited Christianity. I don't know, supposedly Confucianism is the id of much of Chinese ideology, and it can absorb this Christianity pill and absorb it.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justdrew » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:24 am

I thought Confucianism was basically written by a jesuit missionary already :shrug:
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:50 pm

McDonald's murder in China: 'evil cult members' face trial for woman's death

Five people from Church of Almighty God group are accused of killing mother for refusing to give her phone number

China will try a group of "evil cult members" for murdering a woman at a McDonald's restaurant, in a case which has shed light on the religious group and the government's repeated efforts to wipe it out.

The state news agency Xinhua said at the weekend that a court in Yantai, Shandong province, will try five people for murder on Thursday, three of whom "used a cult organisation to undermine enforcement of the law".

In late May, the five defendants – Zhang Fan, Zhang Lidong, Lü Yingchun, Zhang Hang, and Zhang Qiao – and a 12-year-old child walked through a McDonald's in Zhaoyuan, also in Shandong, soliciting phone numbers from diners. One woman, Wu Shuoyan, 37, was waiting in the restaurant with her seven-year-old son; when she refused to give her number, the group beat her to death with chairs and a metal mop handle. The act was captured by CCTV cameras and witnesses using smartphones. The footage quickly went viral online, with many web users wondering why bystanders did not intervene.

State media quickly turned the conversation to religion: the attackers belonged to the quasi-Christian group Church of Almighty God, also known as Eastern Lightning, Xinhua said. One of the attackers, Zhang Lidong, later appeared in a prison interview, which was broadcast on national television. The unemployed pharmaceutical salesman said the group – which he has been a member of for seven years – attacked Wu "because she is a monster. She is an evil spirit. We are not afraid of the law. We have faith in God."

The Church of Almighty God was founded in 1989 by Zhao Weishan, a physics teacher who grew up in Henan province, central China, but fled to the US more than a decade ago. Adherents believe Jesus has returned to earth as a Chinese woman named Lightning Deng, and hold that belonging to the group will save them from an impending apocalypse. Members believe they're entrenched in a life-or-death struggle against the "Great Red Dragon" – a clear reference to the ruling Communist party.

Chinese authorities have listed the Church of Almighty God as one of 14 banned "evil cults", along with the persecuted spiritual group Falun Gong, and have made repeated attempts to eradicate it – Xinhua said in June that more than 1,500 group members have been detained.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Beijing arrests nearly 1,000 members of Christian sect accused of brainwashing

Over the past three months China has arrested nearly 1,000 members of a Christian sect referred to as a cult by Beijing, state media said on Tuesday.

The crackdown, since June, has focused on members of the Church of Almighty God, a Christian group that has attracted followers in rural areas of China for more than 10 years.

The people arrested include "high-level organisers and backbone members" of the group, the official Xinhua news agency said, citing officials. The agency did not give details of the crimes linked to the suspects, who are said to come from more than six provinces.
cptmarginal

Postby justdrew » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:00 pm

cptmarginal » 19 Aug 2014 10:50 wrote:McDonald's murder in China: 'evil cult members' face trial for woman's death

Five people from Church of Almighty God group are accused of killing mother for refusing to give her phone number

China will try a group of "evil cult members" for murdering a woman at a McDonald's restaurant, in a case which has shed light on the religious group and the government's repeated efforts to wipe it out.

The state news agency Xinhua said at the weekend that a court in Yantai, Shandong province, will try five people for murder on Thursday, three of whom "used a cult organisation to undermine enforcement of the law".

In late May, the five defendants – Zhang Fan, Zhang Lidong, Lü Yingchun, Zhang Hang, and Zhang Qiao – and a 12-year-old child walked through a McDonald's in Zhaoyuan, also in Shandong, soliciting phone numbers from diners. One woman, Wu Shuoyan, 37, was waiting in the restaurant with her seven-year-old son; when she refused to give her number, the group beat her to death with chairs and a metal mop handle. The act was captured by CCTV cameras and witnesses using smartphones. The footage quickly went viral online, with many web users wondering why bystanders did not intervene.

State media quickly turned the conversation to religion: the attackers belonged to the quasi-Christian group Church of Almighty God, also known as Eastern Lightning, Xinhua said. One of the attackers, Zhang Lidong, later appeared in a prison interview, which was broadcast on national television. The unemployed pharmaceutical salesman said the group – which he has been a member of for seven years – attacked Wu "because she is a monster. She is an evil spirit. We are not afraid of the law. We have faith in God."

The Church of Almighty God was founded in 1989 by Zhao Weishan, a physics teacher who grew up in Henan province, central China, but fled to the US more than a decade ago. Adherents believe Jesus has returned to earth as a Chinese woman named Lightning Deng, and hold that belonging to the group will save them from an impending apocalypse. Members believe they're entrenched in a life-or-death struggle against the "Great Red Dragon" – a clear reference to the ruling Communist party.

Chinese authorities have listed the Church of Almighty God as one of 14 banned "evil cults", along with the persecuted spiritual group Falun Gong, and have made repeated attempts to eradicate it – Xinhua said in June that more than 1,500 group members have been detained.

sounds like the CIA or some other WACL-types have already created their own version of christianity.
justdrew

Postby Dioneo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:08 pm

That review of "Exodus" was downright righteous, WR. Thanks for linking to that.
Dioneo

Postby justdrew » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 am

about time this shit was tackled head on... :thumbsup

Beijing arrests nearly 1,000 members of Christian sect accused of brainwashing
China crackdown on Church of Almighty God over three months precedes 'cult' members' trial for woman's murder at McDonald's
justdrew

Postby brekin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm

justdrew » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:24 pm wrote:I thought Confucianism was basically written by a jesuit missionary already :shrug:

I laughed at first. Then I googled.

Confucius and the Scholars
East Asian technocrats and modernists in Beijing, among others, are eagerly embracing an updated Confucianism -- even as scholars in the West ask some eyebrow-raising questions. Did the Chinese sage really exist? If so, did he have much to do with the religious and ethical system that bears his name? Could Confucianism have been invented by Jesuit missionaries?
by Charlotte Allen
more at link

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rs/377530/
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justdrew » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:22 pm

brekin » 20 Aug 2014 09:44 wrote:
justdrew » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:24 pm wrote:I thought Confucianism was basically written by a jesuit missionary already :shrug:

I laughed at first. Then I googled.

Confucius and the Scholars
East Asian technocrats and modernists in Beijing, among others, are eagerly embracing an updated Confucianism -- even as scholars in the West ask some eyebrow-raising questions. Did the Chinese sage really exist? If so, did he have much to do with the religious and ethical system that bears his name? Could Confucianism have been invented by Jesuit missionaries?
by Charlotte Allen
more at link

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rs/377530/

:wink I don't just make this shit up :lol:
justdrew

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:46 pm

brekin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:48 pm wrote:Wow. This is mind boggling. Constantine must be chuckling in his grave.
While this is progressive, and should be applauded, from a pragmatic viewpoint I wonder if the Chinese Communist Party has a death wish.
Communism is monolithic, and like Catholicism, only really flourishes when it has beat out the competition. Ethnic groups convert usually at different rates and one usually ends up monopolizing a religion and using it as justification to try and marginalize other ethnic groups. Doesn't China have enough problems already with Muslim ethnic groups? Why would you introduce a competing strain into an already volatile mix that weakens the universal binding (Communism) of all the elements? Also, having a "state-sanctioned version of Christianity" guarantees there will be a non-sanctioned version which will attract great numbers as the "pure" uncorrupted divine version. And since modern China is incredibly bureaucratic, unequal and corrupt, a non-state version drawing on a higher perfect model from an authority that is unchallengeable (because it is accountable) is going to be the version of choice. And no doubt that version will soon in short time have 31 different flavors of its own which will have their own sectarian conflicts.

Also, have they really imagined what a state-sanctioned version would be like? If it really held to Communist tenets and Christian tenets as they are on paper, you are looking at Liberation Theology.

Liberation theology[1] is a political movement in Roman Catholic theology which interprets the teachings of Jesus Christ in relation to a liberation from unjust economic, political, or social conditions. It has been described as "an interpretation of Christian faith through the poor's suffering, their struggle and hope, and a critique of society and the Catholic faith and Christianity through the eyes of the poor".[2] Detractors have called it Christianized Marxism.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology

How is such a by default revolutionary version of Christianity going to square with the grossly unequal rising capitalism and materialism of certain classes, to say nothing of introducing a messianic and divine element into Chinese Communist ideology? To me this just seems like the hubris of the ruling class thinking that they could manage limited Capitalism thinking they can now do the same with limited Christianity. I don't know, supposedly Confucianism is the id of much of Chinese ideology, and it can absorb this Christianity pill and absorb it.

Excellent analysis, brekin.

Considering that the Chinese Communist Party is currently taking their country through a capitalist devotion to GDP growth on par with the USA's Gilded Age (along with a similar devotion to labor exploitation to reach those goals), it would not surprise me if one of the "underground" churches ripe for popularity would be some variation of Liberation Theology castigating the Party for their lack of "purity". We shall see.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Return to General Discussion