It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:25 pm

So, Brekin, how do you feel about Picasso?
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brekin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:25 pm wrote:So, Brekin, how do you feel about Picasso?

Well, since the mere mention of him wiped 4 paragraphs to this threads back pages; annoyed.

But since you brought him up, I think he developed a consistent language or languages which made his works accessible, if not view-able. You'd have to be more specific as to specific paintings or periods though, as it would be easy to generalize unfairly. I think, though, what you may be asking, I'm guessing, is how do I feel about ambiguity vs. clarity, surrealism vs. realism, abstract vs. concrete, etc. I actually I took an online test sometime back where you had to choose between two paintings. Interestingly, I chose the more realistic paintings, although I generally like (or think I like) more impressionistic to abstract paintings. What I discovered post test after thinking about it, is what I really like is Magical Realism or Imaginative Realism. So if we are going to go there, let's really go there, and not be too coy and mysterious about it. With the caveat that sometimes the more abstract is truer to the actual experience and can't be as minutely realized. I think balancing the two is the rub.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:11 pm

A few of us have been awaiting your arrival here in Lynchland. Welcome!
Iamwhomiam

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:11 am

Surprised noone's talking about the new episodes, especially this past Sunday. I swear its like the creepiest shit from Jeff Wells classic RI blog put to film.
Episode 8 was so Jeff Wells RI blog post, it was insane. Very Jack Parsons-Trinity-Doppleganger-Phantom Woodsman black lodge holy shit fuckery.

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby vondardanelle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 am

yeah, this season is just incredible. i get the feeling that Lynch doesn't understand...at least a good chunk of what he's writing/making, but he's 100% committed to the vision and it's such a beautiful thing to watch. feels like he's channelling pure mythology or whatever else might be in the place mythology comes from. feels strange and terrifying in a very deep way. i think my main reaction to the season so far is astonishment, way to early to draw anything like a conclusion. i stopped trying after ep 4 and it's been even more enjoyable since. i need to get a projector once this is all over so i can watch this whole thing again much bigger.

also, how about the sound design/engineering so far??? he's always had attention to that detail but this all feels extra devastating so far. love that warped loop playing in the Giant's lounge.
vondardanelle

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:02 am

Episode 9 airs Sunday, and yet it feels like a lifetime has passed and we should be further. But I posit that Lynch and Frost's Twin Peaks revival is the most jarring and important work of visual narrative fiction in decades
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Laodicean » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl3OCzeEMFY

(^Spoiler) The only way I say "hello" to people now. :lol:
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Does anyone know of a post-episode discussion show?

Ya know ... like the Talking Dead.

Seems like there would be such a thing ... like a webradio show at least / something LIVE that airs right afterwards so folks can fresh talk about what the heck they just saw.
:partyhat
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby brekin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

elfismiles » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am wrote:Does anyone know of a post-episode discussion show?
Ya know ... like the Talking Dead.
Seems like there would be such a thing ... like a webradio show at least / something LIVE that airs right afterwards so folks can fresh talk about what the heck they just saw.
:partyhat

Here ya go. Some really interesting discussion at the https://youtu.be/f7Zik6F6uCs?t=30m27s mark.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 0_0 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Here are some -imo- interesting ones elfismiles:

Have to be honest tho and say that after initially succesfully willing myself to like it i since have done a 180° turn and now think the new season is beyond disappointing and to me it just gets worse and worse with every episode.
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 pm

SMiles, Twin Peaks Rewatch at Idle Thumbs is my personal favorite. They started out reviewing the original run a few years back and now are keeping up with The Return. They also have a discussion board. Part 10 isn't up as of this posting but usually the podcast is available by late Monday evening.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks/

"The Gifted and the Damned" and "Twin Peaks Unwrapped" are pretty popular as well. The latter sometimes has interviews with cast members, but I rank them both lower than TP Rewatch because of errors/misinterpretations that seem pretty glaring to me. Gifted and the Damned always does an immediate reaction that goes up Sunday night after the broadcast, which is nice, but I find the hosts a little annoying and shortsighted.

"A Damn Fine Podcast" is another one I have checked out that is sometimes interesting. But if you're only going to listen to one, I would recommend Rewatch.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:06 pm

:yay Thanks bunches y'all :yay

Thank you mentalgongfu2, 0_0 , and even you brekin ... I know its not for everyone. :partydance:
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby cptmarginal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 am

My personal take on the show is going to be slightly different, partly because of the fact that it's literally the only live action drama show I have watched in several years. And even then, I think the last time I watched anything other than subtitled movies and comedy shows was my first viewing of the the original Twin Peaks starting somewhere around 2008.

The new series has been simply brilliant. Many of the cheesy and unbelievable elements that turned me off at first now seem intentional on the part of Frost and Lynch, and for all of the complaints and bewilderment it has managed to actually be less silly than the original ever was. People forget what a cultural artifact the old episodes were, and some of the cringe-worthy stuff is right there alongside the charms.

A dozen ways to think about a plot device, that's what is called for to unravel the layers. David Lynch & Laura Dern interacting has been genuinely touching in a funny way. David Bowie pulling strings behind the scenes as Phillip Jeffries is crazy. Harry Dean Stanton showing up was a welcome sight.

Surprised noone's talking about the new episodes, especially this past Sunday. I swear its like the creepiest shit from Jeff Wells classic RI blog put to film.
Episode 8 was so Jeff Wells RI blog post, it was insane. Very Jack Parsons-Trinity-Doppleganger-Phantom Woodsman black lodge holy shit fuckery.

Yes, that episode was simply amazing. They've all been remarkable. One of the few depictions of high strangeness that explicitly excludes UFOs or even the basic trappings of the supernatural or alien that we may expect. Instead we get a bizarre human mimic and reflection charade inhabiting a spectral gas station convenience store. "Got a light?"

Great song playing before the radio station invasion, memorably sampled too.

Laodicean wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl3OCzeEMFY

(^Spoiler) The only way I say "hello" to people now. :lol:

Kyle MacLachlan has truly made Dougie a memorable and sympathetic character; the juxtaposition of his mannerisms alongside the role of evil Cooper is impressive. Speaking of evil Cooper, there's a lot of stuff going on there; an example of what access to covert data systems can do for you. The planning involved in his scheme with the warden was just so well done and at least reasonably plausible; no need for the natural psychic powers displayed by Dougie. The picture of him at his house in Rio was a nice touch. Now what the hell is going on with that subterranean psychotronic black box in Buenos Aires?
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I love the way the Woodsman holds the microphone for his announcement. Like, "Now hear this!"

(The horse is the white of the eyes)
cptmarginal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion