It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:25 am

Spiro - dreams are definitely extremely relevant in Twin Peaks in general and The Return in particular. And as much as I resist the idea that the entire thing, or large chunks of it, are meant to be interpreted as simply pieces of a dreamworld, there are numerous clues to that effect, such as those you cited.

In an early Dougie scene, Janey-E calls him "Dreamweaver," when he has failed to get dressed for work. In the interim, Mike from the Lodge appeared and was telling him to "wake up."
She later tells him that "It's like all our dreams are coming true."

There are many more. I haven't documented them all, but might be inclined to do so upon re-watch.

But as for "the policeman's dream," as Gordon says, it is a direct callback to a scene in the original series, when Cooper says that exact phrase to the original Truman upon discovering the conference room filled with donuts and carafes of hot coffee. That's not to Cole's comment is only a reference - it could have a double meaning - but it does have the meaning of a callback to Cooper in the original series, regardless of any other layer, and thus is not an 'otherwise meaningless' one-liner.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a07d264d-9cb7-4ea8-84b5-4bfd4f3e00c8

Time is also very important. There definitely seem to be time slips, or time dilations, or at least something going on with time. There are a lot of overt, explicit references to time, but also many subtle ones.

It's late, and I have to go, so I'm just going to paste one of the comments I made over at the Idle Thumbs forum after re-watching a few of the first episodes before the last 3 or 4 parts aired. Part of it references time, and the rest is just another of those snapshots that I thought might mean something but was never directly re-visited in The Return.

At face value, some of them seem hard to tie in. But I'm starting to doubt much of the footage included is incidental, and I think any scene with electrical hums in the sound must be intended as clues of some sort. Maybe that's what the Giant/Fireman means when he tells Cooper (and us) to "Listen to the sounds." I might have to buy a better set of headphones to see if that enhances the experience, as Lynch has suggested. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there is deeper meaning to the notorious sweeping scene aside from just being "Lynchian."

For example, the maintenance guy (Hank) at the apartment complex where Ruth Davenport's body is found in Part One/Two, about 40 minutes in. The cops are merely trying to gain entry to Ruth's apartment by getting a key, but Hank's dialogue indicates he somewhat expected the police to be coming for him due to whatever he was up to with some guy named Harvey. (Did Harvey send you? ... Well who told you I was going to see Chip? ... I was just on my way, but how did you know? ... Chip? Chip ain't got no phone. ) There's a slow pan when the cops enter Ruth's apartment where the camera moves to show some things plugged into an electrical outlet and lingers on a clock, though we can't see the time (2:53, or 4:30?), and electrical noises in the background. Later we see Hank on a phone call with Harvey, where he asks Harvey if he sent the cops after him, "to my place of business?," then says "No, I got it. I got all of it. But it's all mine. Mine and Chip's. No. You opted out of this one, remember? Don't threaten me Harvey. Harvey? Harvey ? (sounding worried)" [end scene]

What does Hank have that he and Chip got while Harvey opted out - stolen money? garmonbozia? magic beans?

Also, I was disappointed we didn't get more that relates to aliens as interdimensional beings, at least not that I noticed in the last few parts.
I still like my theories (bias, of course) about the connection between Project Blue Book and Blue Rose that Jerky was kind enough to post over at one of his sites.

http://themediavore.blogspot.com/2017/08/twin-peaks-and-blue-rose-by-rocky-van.html

I mean, aside from everything I wrote before The Return ended over at the link I just self-promoted, some of the images in the Return have a distinct 'grey" alien resemblance. [image colorized for visibility as it can be hard to see on older, low-res monitors]

"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am

mentalgongfu2 » Today, 12:25 wrote:But as for "the policeman's dream," as Gordon says, it is a direct callback to a scene in the original series, when Cooper says that exact phrase to the original Truman upon discovering the conference room filled with donuts and carafes of hot coffee. That's not to Cole's comment is only a reference - it could have a double meaning - but it does have the meaning of a callback to Cooper in the original series, regardless of any other layer, and thus is not an 'otherwise meaningless' one-liner.

I sit corrected and amend with "maybe, just maybe, otherwise otherwise meaningless." What you point out is interesting to me now because I was just ruminating over the possibility that the policeman dreamer in question with Coop's original quip, and maybe as well in The Return, part 11, might be Harry. Or, I should say, could be Harry, as Lynch is enthusiastic about us having our own interpretations.

Time is also very important. There definitely seem to be time slips, or time dilations, or at least something going on with time. There are a lot of overt, explicit references to time, but also many subtle ones.

Another scene elsewhere referred to that I had not caught on first viewing was in the Double R, wherein somebody runs in and out looking for Billy. Almost all the customers are different from one shot to the next. Shelly shakes her head in a confused buy 'oh well' kind of way, which the first time I saw it, probably thought was her reaction to the guy looking for Billy. This would seem to be a clue that we are seeing the timeline altered with fragments of, say, Audrey's coma dream.

What does Hank have that he and Chip got while Harvey opted out - stolen money? garmonbozia? magic beans?

It's funny cus it's true. :rofl2 I don't expect, but would not be surprised if there are references to their doings somewhere else in the program.

Also, I was disappointed we didn't get more that relates to aliens as interdimensional beings... [snip] ... I mean, aside from everything I wrote before The Return ended over at the link I just self-promoted, some of the images in the Return have a distinct 'grey" alien resemblance.

That was my lone takeaway first time round: that the thing was a grey. Now that we've been full Judied, it still seems at least partially intentionally alien.

So much of what ends up on screen is so brain birthed by Lynch that I think the rich material provided by Frost could be seen to conflict with a unified vision (or vice versa). At the very least, it is clear that we get diverging interpretations from the collaborators, which would mean any of our interpretations would have to at the end of the day remain our own alone to some extent.

I know I have poo-poo'd those who go all-in on lending meaning to this thing, but I am certainly enjoying piecing new things together. Still, I am wholly satisfied with the outcome thus far and don't need an explanation as such. But the pieces are quite intriguing. I look forward to fan's attempts to reorder the scenes. I was thinking that a good place to start would be with following one character's thread all the way thru, like, Frank's scenes in chronological order, etcetera. Another approach would involve all the electrical hum scenes you pointed out. I wonder if the Blue Ray has a scene rearranging feature.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 am

Nice overview. And this concluding paragragh...
mentalgongfu2 via Jerky's place » Wednesday, August 23, 2017 wrote:Knowing the way Lynch operates in his films and the rest of the Twin Peaks pantheon, it is quite possible any conclusions we have drawn so far will be turned on their heads by the time the final Part 18 airs several weeks from now. One thing is for certain, however – The Return has cemented the Twin Peaks catalogue as a powerful thought-form, a tulpa conjured by Frost and Lynch more than two decades ago and given tremendous agency after feeding on the psychic energy of thousands of intrigued and obsessed viewers for the last 27 years.

...brings to mind how I entertained somewhere along my ride through Part 18 that we were witnessing our own collective dream of the cultural phenomenon and how it fedback upon itself. Or something.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks Spiro.

I haven't read any of Frost's books that take place in the Twin Peaks universe, but based on what I've seen in reviews, he is much more explicit in his references to some kind of alien being (but not extra-terrestrial) in connection to the events of the show. And I agree Frost's unified vision seems to conflict with Lynch's, and is especially noticeable because of the way Lynch works with film, as you put it, "brain birth" of what we see on screen.

I also poo-poo many of the fan theories, especially those that endeavor too much to bring a unified theory to something that is clearly (based on Lynch's own words) not intended to have one. At least not one single, overt interpretation. Some of them are interesting, like one currently making the rounds that proposes Laura as a kind of spiritual bomb and the world of Carrie Page in the finale as a trap designed for Judy. But most of the theories, to my mind, stretch overly hard to unify things, and the same authors often seem to make pedestrian mistakes and overlook explicit contradictions that are shown on screen in order to make their case about what must have happened out of frame.

The lingering question that bothers me most is Hawk's final conversation with Margaret (Log Lady), in which she tells him to watch for "the one under the moon on Blue Pine Mountain." As I recall, Hawk's map has an image of the horned figure from BadCoop's playing card that most assume is Judy. There are a lot of things this could mean, none of which are ever explicitly shown as far as I know. The idea I'm currently entertaining is that this connects to the phrase used elsewhere, by Margaret that "Laura is the one." And perhaps the line from the Fire Walk poem, "One chants out between two worlds."

"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 am

Spiro C. Thiery » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:51 pm wrote:Having just rewatched Part 11, I am surprised I missed "the dream" aspect central to any meaningful analysis of the episode. Indeed, it seems nearly everyone I've read/seen has not touched on a couple of things I caught. Namely, how much one might view any number of sequences in regards to who it is that might be dreaming it. I defy anyone to tell me that the scene where Bobby & Shelly are talking to their daughter in the Double R, and a shot is fired into the front window, Bobby goes out to be confronted with the kid who managed to fire the gun from the back of his parent's car, the horn honking, the crazy woman and her convulsing vomiting kid is not a dream. Two scenes later, Gordon Cole delivers a classic one liner that'd be meaningless otherwise were it not for the previous scene. Gordon, Albert, et al are brought a couple trays of coffee and doughnuts to which Gordon proclaims, "A policeman's dream."

Also, there are a number of timeline discrepancies I hadn't noticed the first time around, which leads me to believe that their are multiple dreamers sliding in and out of alternate universes by way of their dreams. The Mitchum brothers' Candy, who had only recently been beside herself for having accidentally cut her bosses face, is suddenly massively emotionally disconnected from them. Not all there, as it were. Not long after this brother one tells brother two about his dream where the other brother's scar Candy caused is completely healed. And they check and it is.

The screaming lady/vomit zombie kid scenes, along with the weird reflections doing something different, the completely wtf timeline discrepensies and countless other things maybe do point to multiple "realities" and timelines. Collapsing onto themselves. Im still pissed we got a cheesey lame Sheriff Station showdown in Episode 17 instead of a mindblowing showdown with "Mother/Jao Dai/Experiment". But I do like the idea time and reality is messed up and its potentially(ala Mulholland Drive) all in a dreamer's head.

The dreamer is (spoiler alert) Mark Frost and David Lynch not knowing what to do with millions of dollars and 18 hours when they originally had a taut structured 9 episodes originally:)

However it turns out Lynch really wanted Bowie to be in it, but he declined and said he could only use old existing footage if it was redubbed by someone else. Hence...tea kettle Bowie
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 am

mentalgongfu2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm wrote:Thanks Spiro.

I haven't read any of Frost's books that take place in the Twin Peaks universe, but based on what I've seen in reviews, he is much more explicit in his references to some kind of alien being (but not extra-terrestrial) in connection to the events of the show. And I agree Frost's unified vision seems to conflict with Lynch's, and is especially noticeable because of the way Lynch works with film, as you put it, "brain birth" of what we see on screen.

I also poo-poo many of the fan theories, especially those that endeavor too much to bring a unified theory to something that is clearly (based on Lynch's own words) not intended to have one. At least not one single, overt interpretation. Some of them are interesting, like one currently making the rounds that proposes Laura as a kind of spiritual bomb and the world of Carrie Page in the finale as a trap designed for Judy. But most of the theories, to my mind, stretch overly hard to unify things, and the same authors often seem to make pedestrian mistakes and overlook explicit contradictions that are shown on screen in order to make their case about what must have happened out of frame.

The lingering question that bothers me most is Hawk's final conversation with Margaret (Log Lady), in which she tells him to watch for "the one under the moon on Blue Pine Mountain." As I recall, Hawk's map has an image of the horned figure from BadCoop's playing card that most assume is Judy. There are a lot of things this could mean, none of which are ever explicitly shown as far as I know. The idea I'm currently entertaining is that this connects to the phrase used elsewhere, by Margaret that "Laura is the one." And perhaps the line from the Fire Walk poem, "One chants out between two worlds."

From the co-write of Fire Walk With Me, it's been revealed that David Bowie's Agent Jeffrie's "Judy" (seen in both the film and the blu ray exclusive missing pieces deleted scenes) was intended to be Josie Packard's sister.
But that of course was majorly ret-conned in The Return.

That scary glowing alien thing that killed the two young people screwing in front of the glass box in the 2017 premiere(sex magic?) scared the crap out of me, yet I felt that scary intensity went down the drain by episode 16 and 17.
Lynch retconning Judy from being Josie Packards sister to The Mother/Jao Dai/Experiment/Mother of All Evil/horned bug on Evil Coopers playing card and Hawk's map is a pretty cool retcon. Really wanted and expected to see a final showdown with that being(assuming its also the creature in space from Episode 8) Im kind of meh tho on the idea Laura is this golden orb soul meant to restore the world. She didnt seem so "pure" when she was laughing her head off at Bobby blowing that guys brains out in FWWM.

I really want to love The Return, but the more I think about and rewatch it, it feels like it should have been maybe 8-10 episodes, trimming the fat and more creepy. So much buildup, but it feels like it falls too much into the silly comedy vibe in the final episodes. I get the whole "Giant/Fireman in the white lodge set up the trap for Bad Coop, who was seeking Jao Dai/Mother, and created an alternate reality for Richard Coop/Linda Dianne/Carrie Laura", but it just kind of seems like bad writing in the end.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 am

8bitagent » 53 minutes ago wrote:The dreamer is (spoiler alert) Mark Frost and David Lynch not knowing what to do with millions of dollars and 18 hours when they originally had a taut structured 9 episodes originally:)

The dreamer was going to be Frost-Lynch regardless. No way around that. As to the original 9 having been "taut", I'm sceptical. At any rate, it is clear that somebody felt they needed to cover more space, and even if they hadn't, the end result was that the pacing ruled the 18. In that regard the deliberate slowness was crucial to its effect, in my opinion.

There are elements in everything Lynch has done that did not work for me. The old people shrunk in Muholland's box come to mind, and I have never found the woodsman-ish grubby fella behind the diner to be the least bit scary. As a matter of fact, none of the supernatural-ish demonizing has ever made me so much as jump, or feel uneasy, no matter how deep the frequency on the portentous score telling me how horrifying it all is. Frank Silva's Bob? Meh. Don't get me started on how painfully unfunny the Lynch-Frost On the Air was.

Nevertheless, I have come to recognize that for me personally to get the most out of what will invariably contain sequences of sheer brilliance, the dream is the thing. Lynch does several different types of them: One would be the normal narrative kind (original series: throwing rocks at a bottle in the woods next to the chalkboard/The Return: the dog-walking neighbour-lady turning out to have the key to Ruth Davenport's flat all along); another is the more obviously dream-like (original series: The Giant speaking to Coop/The Return, Deputy Bobby and the honking lady); Yet another is the less-disturbing/more absurd (original series: Nadine wrestles Mike/The Return: Bob versus the Green Glove from near Glastonbury). I can wholly appreciate someone's not liking the latter so much. I have come to take them for what they are, which is actually a pretty uncanny staging of the kind of dream "vignette" I am familiar with. Some of the types are more entertaining to me than to others. Still, bad writing or not, I don't think they didn't know what they were doing. I'm pretty sure Freddie was less lazy deux ex machina and more a piece that fits in the puzzle of Lynch's own dream logic.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:36 am

Spiro C. Thiery » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 am wrote:
8bitagent » 53 minutes ago wrote:The dreamer is (spoiler alert) Mark Frost and David Lynch not knowing what to do with millions of dollars and 18 hours when they originally had a taut structured 9 episodes originally:)

The dreamer was going to be Frost-Lynch regardless. No way around that. As to the original 9 having been "taut", I'm sceptical. At any rate, it is clear that somebody felt they needed to cover more space, and even if they hadn't, the end result was that the pacing ruled the 18. In that regard the deliberate slowness was crucial to its effect, in my opinion.

There are elements in everything Lynch has done that did not work for me. The old people shrunk in Muholland's box come to mind, and I have never found the woodsman-ish grubby fella behind the diner to be the least bit scary. As a matter of fact, none of the supernatural-ish demonizing has ever made me so much as jump, or feel uneasy, no matter how deep the frequency on the portentous score telling me how horrifying it all is. Frank Silva's Bob? Meh. Don't get me started on how painfully unfunny the Lynch-Frost On the Air was.

Nevertheless, I have come to recognize that for me personally to get the most out of what will invariably contain sequences of sheer brilliance, the dream is the thing. Lynch does several different types of them: One would be the normal narrative kind (original series: throwing rocks at a bottle in the woods next to the chalkboard/The Return: the dog-walking neighbour-lady turning out to have the key to Ruth Davenport's flat all along); another is the more obviously dream-like (original series: The Giant speaking to Coop/The Return, Deputy Bobby and the honking lady); Yet another is the less-disturbing/more absurd (original series: Nadine wrestles Mike/The Return: Bob versus the Green Glove from near Glastonbury). I can wholly appreciate someone's not liking the latter so much. I have come to take them for what they are, which is actually a pretty uncanny staging of the kind of dream "vignette" I am familiar with. Some of the types are more entertaining to me than to others. Still, bad writing or not, I don't think they didn't know what they were doing. I'm pretty sure Freddie was less lazy deux ex machina and more a piece that fits in the puzzle of Lynch's own dream logic.

Oh that whole Davenport-Briggs human centipede apartment dog walking maintence guy scene in the 2 hour premiere was amazing. I almost want to imagine the May 21st 2 hour premiere of "The Return" was a movie. It was so wtf, dark, uncomfortable and seeringly mindblowing. What we ended up with by Episode 17 was such a goofy forced thrown together showdown, that it barely resembles the first few episodes. But I cant fault Lynch and Frost. I cant think of anyone who could have sustained 18 straight hours. True Detective Season 1 still blows me away, but if it was stretched from 8 hours to even just 10 hours, it may have failed.

With Mulholland Drive, the tiny creepy elderly couple/winkies bum(proto woodsman?)/self inflicted suicide ending blew me away. Mulholland Drive is still one of my top 3 fave Lynch films, even tho most of it was apparently filmed as a TV-14 ABC tv show in 1999. I mean "The Cowboy" has to be the best Lynch character yet. Nothing to me beats Frank Booth or Lost Highways Mystery Man...perhaps this is why ultimately I feel let down by the Return. Theres a lot of trippy wtf moments, but Im not sure it has memorable characters or scenes like his past film work
8bitagent

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Just finished The Final Dossier. It's a quick read, and unlike the chock-full previous volume this one consists nearly entirely of text (and so can be easily read on a screen without losing out on much.) If anyone hasn't caught on to this yet, there is an easily-found website out there called Library Genesis which hosts free copies of virtually every digital book and comic book ever published.

I won't give away any of the spoilers. From the "Major Briggs" chapter onward there are quite a few...

8bitagent wrote:What we ended up with by Episode 17 was such a goofy forced thrown together showdown, that it barely resembles the first few episodes.

More funny meta-commentary from the end of the book:

Here’s where it all moves beyond weird, Chief. No sooner has the smoke cleared after that shootout in Sheriff Truman’s office, with the Double fading away, and something black and spectral floating out of its body and up through the ceiling—don’t even get me going right now on that oddball Cockney kid with the green glove—than the lights go out and you and Cooper, apparently, “apparate” to the basement of the Great Northern Hotel. After a brief exchange, Cooper vanishes in the dark down a long corridor that isn’t actually there, the lights come back on, and you’re left standing with the Horne brothers in a boiler room.

The endless corridor that doesn't really exist in the actual hotel very much reminds me of some other things I really enjoy (hotel elevator that occasionally opens up to mysterious missing floor in Dance, Dance, Dance; faceless dream hotel bellboy of the unconscious in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle)
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Now what the hell is going on with that subterranean psychotronic black box in Buenos Aires?

This is only partly explained, ultimately. Philip Jeffries relocating his consciousness to some sort of machine was not explained at all, really.

Speaking of evil Cooper, there's a lot of stuff going on there; an example of what access to covert data systems can do for you... The picture of him at his house in Rio was a nice touch.

More on that:

Based on these findings, during his twenty-five years on the loose, the Double appears to have established and run an international criminal syndicate to rival any cartel or crime family in recent memory. This organization appears to have inserted its tendrils into nearly every known vehicle for vice in the lexicon: gambling, drugs, cybercrime, human trafficking, prostitution, murder for hire, illegal banking, stock manipulation, extortion, blackmail, insurance fraud. (About the only criminal arena missing from the list is politics—aside from a few obvious bribes made to elected foreign officials—but chances are that’ll turn up eventually.)

All the proceeds from this baroque, elaborate spiderweb—minus expenses and payoffs, of course—funneled directly to the top, to him, through a dense and complicated network of shell companies, LLCs, offshore banking, and the complicit, well-compensated participation of a number of known corrupt regimes and broken states. The entirety of the operation will take many years to unravel, but our early and likely overly conservative estimates suggest that the net payoff to the man at the top was in the billions.

Although the Double appeared to somehow travel freely throughout the world—establishing residences and businesses in a dozen different places, among them Las Vegas, Berlin, Amsterdam, Buenos Aires, the island of Cyprus, and Istanbul—he doesn’t appear to have amassed all of these resources for the usual, more or less banal criminal outlets or indulgences we’re accustomed to seeing: greed, lust, materialism, self-interested power, etc. Instead he appears to have been employing this growing fortune for what I would suggest we call “research.” The Double was after something. Hunting something, and maybe more than just one thing.
cptmarginal

Postby 0_0 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:00 pm

playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Get it while it's hot. Many more at the source.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 am

The gum we like is ONCE MORE coming back to style, it seems... or we hope. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/twin-peaks ... -showtime/

Now, however, in a new report published by We Got This Covered, Showtime bosses are desperate to continue the ride and hope to bring back Twin Peaks for a fourth series. With specific details still being negotiated, a possible premiere for season four is being earmarked for 2020.

While speculation has been rife about the possibility of new episodes, Lynch has remained tight-lipped the possibility: “It’s too early to say if there will be a fourth season of the series,” he said previously. “If that were the case, we would have to wait a few more years because it took me four and a half years to write and film this season.”

Upon the release of the third series, programming president Gary Levine left the door open to a possible follow-up, stating: “The door’s always open to David Lynch, whether that would lead to another season, I don’t know if he wants to do it. This was a Herculean effort. I’m not sure if any director has ever done 18 hours in a row of a series… It’s remarkable what he achieved, fans are liking it and for me that’s what’s satisfying.”
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Jerky » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 pm

AND AGAIN, apparently!

Rumor is, it's coming back for either TWO WHOLE NEW SEASONS, or one season, and one film!

Hold on to your cherry pies!

YOPJ
Jerky

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Agent Orange Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion