It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Postby LilyPatToo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 am

[apologies for not knowing how to get the video to appear. Used the youtube button, but it didn't work]

Just saw this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0&feature=youtu.be Hope it's worth seeing...

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Now I'm depressed. My favorite character after Garland Briggs (also dead). :tear

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... -lady-dies
Actor Catherine Coulson – aka Twin Peaks' Log Lady – dies at 71

Actor known for cult role in David Lynch’s TV crime drama dies from cancer, with Lynch acknowledging the loss of ‘one of my dearest friends’

The actor Catherine Coulson, known for her cult role as the Log Lady in Twin Peaks, has died from cancer aged 71.

In David Lynch’s mysterious TV crime drama, the Log Lady, aka Margaret Lanterman, was a woman who carried a pine log with her at all times. She had a clairvoyant connection with the log, relaying gnomic messages from it to the townspeople, including hints to the murder at the heart of the story – a role played for both laughs and chills.

Lynch paid tribute to her in a statement: “Today I lost one of my dearest friends, Catherine Coulson. Catherine was solid gold. She was always there for her friends – she was filled with love for all people – for her family – for her work. She was a tireless worker. She had a great sense of humour – she loved to laugh and make people laugh. She was a spiritual person – a longtime TM [transcendental meditation] meditator. She was the Log Lady.” Her agent Mary Dangerfield added: “We are all deeply sad, she meant so much to so many.”

Coulson and Lynch had come up with the idea for the character in 1977 when she worked as an assistant director on Lynch’s debut feature film, Eraserhead. Lynch had originally earmarked the character for a bizarre-sounding show called I’ll Test My Log With Every Branch of My Knowledge, in which the log would go through various everyday human activities like dentist appointments, but later interpolated it into Twin Peaks in 1990.

Coulson also worked as a camera assistant on the likes of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and John Cassavetes’ The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. As well as acting on Twin Peaks, she recorded new introductions to each episode when it was re-run on the Bravo channel, and wrote a column in a Twin Peaks fanzine.

She was due to join the cast of the revived drama, which will air in 2017 on the Showtime channel in the US. She told the Wall Street Journal last year that she was “very excited” about appearing in the show, saying that Lynch had revealed little of what was planned for her – only that she shouldn’t “play in traffic” and that “he suggested I talk about sustainable forestry” when playing the Log Lady.

When questioned on the whereabouts of her famous wooden co-star, she said: “It’s in a secure undisclosed location … there is a humidifier.”
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby RocketMan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 am

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-premiere-early-2017/

During Showtime’s presentation at the TCA Winter Press Tour 2016 today, the premium cable network’s CEO and President, David Nevins, was excited to share that David Lynch is more than halfway through shooting the new episodes of Twin Peaks.

The limited series should be ready to premiere during the first half of 2017.

-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Laodicean » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:56 am

Laodicean » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:56 pm wrote:Image

"We live inside a dream."
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby RocketMan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 am

Ah yes, Bowie was here.

"I've been to their meetings."

Somehow I have a feeling the new season will be more in line with Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me than with the original ABC series. Perhaps it will be a melange of the two.

In any case, the movie is an underappreciated masterpiece. It was panned at the time. Of course.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:18 pm

The cast list has been announced and it is... well, it's certainly something.

My favourite left-field cast member might be Richard Fucking Chamberlain. Might be the most Lynchian piece of casting since Robert Blake.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/twin-p ... gn=IW_post

Most details about the highly-anticipated "Twin Peaks" revival have been so far kept under wraps. We know that the new series will air on Showtime some time in 2017, that it's a continuation of the original CBS series (not a remake or a reboot), that much of the original cast will return to reprise their roles, and that it will be entirely directed by creator David Lynch. Now Showtime, Lynch, and executive producer/writer Mark Frost have announced the full cast list for the new "Twin Peaks" series with many, many new names. Some of these new cast members include Amanda Seyfried ("While We're Young"), Michael Cera ("Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"), Naomi Watts ("Mulholland Dr."), Tim Roth ("Reservoir Dogs"), Jim Belushi ("Show Me A Hero"), and Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder ("Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story").

The new "Twin Peaks" series boasts a whopping 217 cast members for its entire run. While some of the cast are from the original "Twin Peaks" series, like Kyle MacLachlan as Agent Dale Cooper and Sheryl Lee as murder victim Linda Palmer, the majority of the cast is filled with new faces who haven't yet appeared in the "Twin Peaks" world. Other names from the long list include Laura Dern ("Wild at Heart), Balthazar Getty ("Lost Highway"), Jeremy Davies ("Saving Private Ryan"), David Koechner ("Anchorman"), and Ernie Hudson ("Ghostbusters").
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 pm

RocketMan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:09 am wrote:
Somehow I have a feeling the new season will be more in line with Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me than with the original ABC series. Perhaps it will be a melange of the two.

In any case, the movie is an underappreciated masterpiece. It was panned at the time. Of course.

I am sitting on a four-hour-long directors cut of that film. Waiting on a friend to come up from MA and watch it with me.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby RocketMan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:23 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:24 pm wrote:
RocketMan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:09 am wrote:

I am sitting on a four-hour-long directors cut of that film. Waiting on a friend to come up from MA and watch it with me.

What the what now? I was under the impression that no "director's cut" existed as such, there were just the deleted scenes, kept separate. Is it some kind of Alan Smithee thing where the extra scenes are just jammed in there in approximately the right places or have you gotten your hands on a rough cut by David Lynch? Whaaa....??
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby cptmarginal » Wed May 18, 2016 7:36 pm

RocketMan wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:24 pm wrote:I am sitting on a four-hour-long directors cut of that film. Waiting on a friend to come up from MA and watch it with me.

What the what now? I was under the impression that no "director's cut" existed as such, there were just the deleted scenes, kept separate. Is it some kind of Alan Smithee thing where the extra scenes are just jammed in there in approximately the right places or have you gotten your hands on a rough cut by David Lynch? Whaaa....??

Check for my post on the previous page of this thread :)

I was just listening to a podcast discussing the rediscovered deleted scenes from Blue Velvet. My first thought: there's probably a fan edit of that, too. Sure enough:

http://ifdb.fanedit.org/blue-velvet-q2- ... d-edition/

It's fine to post this as it does not contain any download links whatsoever...

The history of these scenes is pretty cool:

'I've got to find the flaming nipple!': the hunt for Blue Velvet's lost footage - Cath Clarke, Thursday 3 November 2011

For years Lynch-heads and film historians have speculated about deleted scenes from Blue Velvet. Now they've been found – and they're quite something

"I've got to find the flaming nipple!" No, it's not a line from a David Lynch script. That's the man himself, reacting to the news last year that missing footage from Blue Velvet had been rediscovered. For years, Lynch-heads and film historians had speculated about the whereabouts of the deleted scenes: footage left on the cutting room floor after Lynch snipped his three-and-a-half-hour rough cut into a two-hour movie. Time passed and everyone – director included – figured it was lost for ever. As for the flaming nipple (nipples, in fact), they belong to a dropped scene. "That's one of my favourite scenes," Lynch said in an interview for the book Lynch on Lynch. Why cut it and (metaphorically speaking) kill his baby? "It was too much of a good thing."

The man who found the deleted scenes is movie sleuth and champion of lost causes, Darren Gross, who works in MGM's technical services department (which archives, preserves, restores and remasters the studio's movies). The detective work is a labour of love, "a side-project", says Gross on the phone from his office in LA. For a couple of years he chased down Blue Velvet leads, trawling inventories of companies that had owned the film before MGM. He was close to abandoning the mission when, last September, he located all the missing material (including "pretty much pristine" negatives) gathering dust in a warehouse in Seattle. "For an independent producer, it's unusual that all of this stuff has survived," he explains. "Why keep hundreds of boxes and pay the storage? So, often they just throw them away. That happens a lot."

Perhaps producer Dino de Laurentiis had an idea someone would come looking for Blue Velvet. It was the most talked-about, most polarising movie of 1986. Some critics were appalled by Dennis Hopper's freakishly sadistic nitrous-oxide huffing psychopath Frank and his relationship with Isabella Rossellini's masochistic sex slave. JG Ballard considered it the best movie of the 80s – "without a doubt". There's a clip on YouTube of a TV interview with Lynch at the time, the presenter trying to engage him on the controversy: "Do you think you are a genius or a really sick person?" That really tickles him. "Well Valerie I don't know," he answers, all wholesome aw-shucks-ness.

Altogether, 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage have been re-edited – supervised by Lynch – into an extra on a new DVD celebrating the film's 25th anniversary (available early next year in the UK).

The flaming nipple scene will open the new footage on the DVD, giving audiences more of Hopper in what is possibly his scariest performance – in a career of scary performances. (He phoned Lynch, not long out of rehab: "David, I love this script. I am Frank.") The action unfolds in a bar where Frank threatens a man who has been hanging out with a posse of naked women. On set, one of the actresses happened to show Lynch a trick she had for setting her nipples on fire with a match. He liked it so much he filmed it and gave her the closing line: "Motherfucker, you're really going up in flames this time!" Clearly it's Blue Velvet: The Director's Cut that the diehards want to see. But Lynch never revises his work. What's more, unlike, say, Ridley Scott on Blade Runner, he had the final cut on Blue Velvet (in return for halving his salary and the budget). So Lynch politely declined the opportunity re-edit the movie with the new footage: "I think he thinks of it like sculpture," explains Gross. "You have to chisel away at it. And it's heartbreaking to see some of the little pieces go. But the final form is ultimately what he wants to express." Nor should we expect Blue Velvet: The (Even) Bluer Bits. Flaming nipples aside, the deleted scenes mostly expand on the characters. What surprised Gross were the inclusion of a few bloopers: "There are a couple of really funny outtakes. Only a couple of minutes, but I never thought I'd see a David Lynch outtakes reel."

As for Lynch, he couldn't be happier: "It's like the song Amazing Grace. The footage was lost but now it's found."
cptmarginal

Postby RocketMan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3400258 ... ased-sdcc/

While there wasn’t a “Twin Peaks” panel at the San Diego Comic Con, original star Ray Wise, who played “Leland Palmer”, was in attendance for Batman: Killing Joke panel. It was there that he revealed a few details for the upcoming third season, which comes 26 years after the series originally ended.

Firstly, he explains that we’ll be seeing “Twin Peaks” on Showtime in Summer of 2017. Ergo, sit back, relax, have a cup of coffee and a slice of cherry pie because it’s gonna be a bit before we hear that sublime opening theme.

Next, and this is where it gets interesting, is that Wise will be in all 18 episodes. I’m not going to spoil the original storyline of Leland Palmer for those of you who haven’t seen the show but for those of you who HAVE, this news should raise an eyebrow or two.

Lastly, Wise revealed that David Lynch directed all 18 episodes, so his touch is going to be on every second of the third season. That alone skyrockets my excitement!

I wonder if Leland Palmer is the new BOB as Frank Silva passed away in the mid-90s, sadly... :whisper:
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm reading Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks, bridging the original series with the new one and covering the history of the region from the 1800s onwards. By the sound of it, Frost could be a lurker on RI. We have Freemasons, the Illuminati, UFOs, giant skeletons dug out of burial mounds, Native American legends about "white Indians", Kenneth Arnold, the Mt. Rainier incident, Fred Crisman, even his connection to the JFK assassination and the Garrison case, the Maury Island incident, Roswell, Lemurians, Amazing Stories magazine... and I'm only around page 100 of this thing.

It's also a beautiful piece of bookbinding, the layout is stunning. The format is, it consists solely of "documents" and annotations. I'd say highly recommended.

-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 am

25 Years Later, David Lynch Returns to ‘Twin Peaks’

By ALEX BHATTACHARJI APRIL 12, 2017

Lynch, photographed in Los Angeles in February. Credit Chris McPherson

“My biography is: David Lynch, born in Missoula, Montana, Eagle Scout,” the director David Lynch says, not the tiniest bit facetious. “That’s in love and respect for my father.”

He was born on Jan. 20, which means every four years his birthday coincides with a presidential inauguration. In 1961, on the day he turned 15, Lynch and his Eagle Scout troop were called upon to seat V.I.P.s at John F. Kennedy’s swearing-in. At one point he stood beside a motorcade of limos passing by, chauffeuring four presidents: Dwight D. Eisenhower, Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard M. Nixon. “I could’ve touched the glass. It was that close,” he says, reaching out in pantomime.

That all-American upbringing — with its suggestion of latent darkness — informs much of Lynch’s work, including the groundbreaking series “Twin Peaks,” credited with changing how America watched television when it aired for just two seasons (1990 to 1991). Of that fictional town in the Pacific Northwest (population 51,201), Lynch says, “I love this world, and I love the people in the world. My old friends — you know they are like old friends. You think about them from time to time and wonder how they’re doing.”

They seem to be doing well, considering he pronounced them and the series “dead as a doornail” years ago. It lived on only via a variety of appreciations, until now: A “new ‘Twin Peaks,’ ” as Lynch refers to it, will debut May 21 on Showtime. Mark Frost, its co-creator, says he and Lynch would talk about the idea of a reunion tour periodically, but in 2012, he felt the time had come. “I said to David, ‘The way the show was left was unsatisfying for everybody — particularly us — and we have an opportunity to finish what we started.’ That was the thread that brought us to where we are now.”

As David Foster Wallace famously recounted in a 1996 profile, his first view of the director was Lynch peeing on a tree on the set of “Lost Highway,” too engrossed to make the trip to the porta-johns. Kyle MacLachlan, who reprises his role as Special Agent Dale Cooper, confirms that this attention to detail remains: “He didn’t leave the set. He was always, always there.” Then, as now, “He is thinking, thinking, thinking very focused on what he was about to do.”

Lynch himself will not answer questions pertaining to the plot of the new “Twin Peaks.” Additionally, he insists that the 18 individual installments of the series must be called parts, not episodes, offering a cogent auteur-like explanation: “This is a feature. An 18-hour feature, broken up into 18 parts.”

The distinction isn’t surprising. Lynch has no great fondness for the small screen. When the original aired, he admitted to not watching TV, saying it was easy to avoid. “Oh, it’s possible. They’re not very large, those television sets.” A generation later, he seems wary of the influence of even smaller screens. “The important thing is to go into another world; ideally, you’d have a quiet, dark room ... no interruptions.”

Although others may have lofty expectations for this revived cult classic, Lynch has given no thought whatsoever to audience reaction. “You concentrate on your work, try to do the best you can, and when it comes time, you release control, realizing it’s in the hands of fate.” Similarly, in these days of binging and streaming, he is O.K. with however you want to watch it. He even suggests, with a smile, that the best approach may be to view the parts out of order. “You know, the projectionist once in awhile would make a mistake and put reel four before reel two or something,” he says. “People still made sense of it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/t-magazine/entertainment/david-lynch-twin-peaks.html
Iamwhomiam

Postby RocketMan » Thu May 11, 2017 4:36 pm

IT. IS. HAPPENING. AGAIN.

Looks like about the "pure heroin version" of David Lynch we were promised. Strap in, 10 days to go.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby 8bitagent » Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 am

Surprised noone's talking about that four hour insane opening Sunday.

Just sat thru all 4 hours of the opening streaming yesterdayepisode 1-4 in a batshit epic opening on showtime online), and my god.
That is one deep dark descent into utter hell.

What ungodly hell have David Lynch and Mark Frost unleashed?
(soon as I finished the 4th hour I ended up tuning into the Manchester pop concert horror)

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion