Rest in Peace

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rest in Peace

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:19 pm

E. Barrett Prettyman Jr., Lawyer Who Fortified Desegregation Ruling, Dies at 91

By SAM ROBERTS NOV. 8, 2016

E. Barrett Prettyman Jr., left, who was then serving as special counsel to the House ethics committee in relation to the F.B.I.’s Abscam sting, with Allen R. Snyder in 1980. Credit George Tames/The New York Times

E. Barrett Prettyman Jr., a prominent Washington lawyer who played crucial backstage roles in the Supreme Court’s unanimous school-desegregation decision, the first expulsion by Congress of one of its members in more than a century, and the release of prisoners captured in the abortive Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, died on Friday in Washington. He was 91.

His death was announced by his law firm, Hogan Lovells, which he joined six decades ago after becoming the only person to clerk successively for three United States Supreme Court justices, and where he took the present chief justice, John G. Roberts Jr., under his wing.

Justice Roberts, in a statement on Tuesday, recalled Mr. Prettyman as “a singularly insightful mentor and dear friend” and a “towering member of the Supreme Court bar.”

The son of a federal appellate jurist and a law school classmate of Robert F. Kennedy’s, Mr. Prettyman crusaded against the death penalty, championed press protections and vigorously prodded lawyers to provide free legal services to clients who could not afford representation.

In a career that he began as a newspaper reporter, he clerked for Justices Robert H. Jackson, Felix Frankfurter and John M. Harlan. He was the founding president of the District of Columbia Bar Association. He argued 19 cases before the Supreme Court and represented an all-star client roster that included Truman Capote, John Lennon and Katherine Anne Porter. And he won an Edgar Allan Poe Award in 1962 for his true-crime book “Death and the Supreme Court.”

But for all his courtroom skills, the arguments he marshaled behind the scenes in various negotiations might be his most enduring legacy.

Chief among them was the role he was credited with playing in the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case in 1954.

As revealed by Richard Kluger in 1976 in “Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America’s Struggle for Equality,” Mr. Prettyman urged Jackson not to write a separate opinion, which, though concurring in the decision, would have intimated that racial segregation was lawful in some circumstances and might have undermined public confidence in what otherwise was a unanimous ruling.

Mr. Prettyman in 1997. Credit Ruth Fremson/Associated Press

“I told him quite candidly,” Mr. Prettyman recalled in 1996 in an oral history interview with the Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit, “that it sounded more like a dissent than a concurring opinion.”

After Chief Justice Fred M. Vinson died in 1953, his successor, Earl Warren, presented Jackson with a draft of what would become the final Brown decision. After reviewing it, Mr. Prettyman, by his account, told Jackson, “You know, it meets a lot of the problems that you had, as expressed in your unpublished opinion, and while it certainly doesn’t contain a lot of law, it makes sense, it hangs together, it doesn’t offend people, it reads well, anybody can understand it.”

Jackson, he said, replied, “Exactly.”

On May 17, 1954, the court ruled unequivocally that, “in the field of public education, the doctrine of ‘separate but equal’ has no place.”

In his book, Mr. Kluger concluded: “It is doubtful if any of the many excellent young men who have come fresh out of the law schools or soon thereafter to serve the justices of the Supreme Court ever served more faithfully or usefully than Barrett Prettyman served Robert Jackson. What part Prettyman’s memo played will never be known, but it is a fact that Jackson, having written this much on the segregation cases, wrote no more.”

In 1962, Mr. Prettyman, a lifelong Democrat, was recruited to help the Kennedy administration, covertly, to speed the donation and shipment of more than $50 million in agricultural and medical supplies to Cuba as ransom for more than 1,000 hapless Cuban exiles who had been captured the year before while trying to retake their homeland from Fidel Castro.

Unbeknown to Mr. Castro, the supplies included surplus products that American companies were dumping as a way to take tax deductions. To prevent Mr. Castro from immediately finding out, Mr. Prettyman flew to Havana and persuaded him to accompany him for the day on a visit to Ernest Hemingway’s old house outside Havana. By the time they returned to the docks, all Mr. Castro could see was a bountiful supply of baby food.

“I did get in the fact that because of the way we had to load, he might be getting some things he could throw away, but by then he was sufficiently pleased with what he’d seen,” Mr. Prettyman said, “and he ordered that the prisoners could start to leave right away.”

In 1980, Mr. Prettyman was counsel to the House ethics committee in its investigation of six members of Congress who were ensnared in the Federal Bureau of Investigation sting operation known as Abscam. At his recommendation, the House voted to expel Representative Michael J. Myers, a Pennsylvania Democrat, after he was convicted of bribery. It was the first time the expulsion penalty had been imposed since 1861.

Fidel Castro, Capt. Alfred Boerum and Mr. Prettyman on a ship in Havana in 1962. Credit Joe McGowan Jr./Associated Press

A year later, when the committee declined to file charges against Representative John P. Murtha Jr., another Pennsylvania Democrat, who had been named as an unindicted co-conspirator in the Abscam affair but who had never been prosecuted, Mr. Prettyman resigned in protest.

Mr. Prettyman’s association with Chief Justice Roberts continued after he had mentored him at Hogan Lovells, though in more contentious circumstances.

“It was my great good fortune to learn from him as his associate early in my career,” Chief Justice Roberts said in his statement, “and later to put to the test what he had taught me when I argued against him in the court.”

Elijah Barrett Prettyman Jr. was born in Washington on June 1, 1925. He was descended from a family that settled in colonial Jamestown in 1608. His grandfather, a Methodist minister, was chaplain of the Senate during the Woodrow Wilson administration. His father, also known as Barrett, was chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia; its courthouse in Washington bears his name. Mr. Prettyman’s mother, the former Lucy Hill, was a nurse.

Mr. Prettyman’s marriages to Evelyn Savage and Victoria Keesecker ended in divorce. His third wife, the former Dr. Noreen McGuire, died in 2011. He is survived by two children from his first marriage, E. Barrett Prettyman III and Jill Prettyman Lukoschek, and three grandchildren.

Mr. Prettyman served in the infantry in Europe in World War II and graduated from Yale in 1949. After going to work for The Providence Journal, he decided that studying jurisprudence would improve his earning potential as a reporter. But he became so enthralled by the law that he gave up journalism for a legal career and received a degree from the University of Virginia Law School, where he became a protégé of Robert Kennedy.

Soon he achieved a coveted clerk position at the Supreme Court and found himself playing challenger to the justices for whom he worked, from 1953 to 1955. “My job was to hammer him so hard that he would feel really good about how he was coming out,” Mr. Prettyman said of each of the three.

He found he was less argumentative once he got home, however, when he, a Supreme Court clerk, gathered for dinner with his father, a federal judge, and his sister, an employee of the Central Intelligence Agency.

“There’d be these long silences at the table,” Mr. Prettyman recalled, “and my mother would say, ‘Well, if you can’t talk of anything else, pass me the salt.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/us/e-barrett-prettyman-jr-lawyer-who-fortified-desegregation-ruling-dies-at-91.html
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Leon Russell has died.

Time consumes all.

Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Cordelia » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:47 pm

I didn't know that he'd been a member of 'The Wrecking Crew'.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDpmSQODadc
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 pm

I never watched 'Star Wars' but I loved listening to her in interviews. She was very intelligent, witty and seemed boldly honest & ironic about herself and her life. A sad loss.

Carrie Fisher, Child of Hollywood and ‘Star Wars’ Royalty, Dies at 60

By DAVE ITZKOFF DEC. 27, 2016

Carrie Fisher, the actress, author and screenwriter who brought a rare combination of nerve, grit and hopefulness to her most indelible role, as Princess Leia in the “Star Wars” movie franchise, died on Tuesday morning. She was 60.

A family spokesman, Simon Halls, confirmed the death in a statement, saying Ms. Fisher died at 8:55 a.m. She had had a heart attack on a flight from London to Los Angeles on Friday and had been hospitalized in Los Angeles.

Continued....
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movie ... -leia.html

A recent radio interview on 'Fresh Air'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09_tdYg7ds

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Goodbye to actor John Hurt. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38778145

His portrayal of John Merrick in David Lynch's beautiful film 'The Elephant Man' was esp.outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzVHRp5FEQc

Cordelia

Postby chump » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:49 pm

http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2017/ ... -obit.html

Hurt

... WARNING: *MASSSIVE SPOILERS*
Secondary warning: Some of the death scenes are very violent.

The Many Deaths of John Hurt

--------------------------------

https://youtu.be/kHk-ooDV2HE
chump

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Bobby Freeman and Al Jarreau

Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Lynne Stewart (October 8, 1939 – March 7, 2017)

Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:20 pm

'Angel Baby' singer dies; classic hit covered by Lennon
[Associated Press]
ASTRID GALVAN
Associated PressApril 3, 2017

PHOENIX (AP) — The singer of the 1960s hit "Angel Baby," a song covered by artists such as John Lennon and Linda Ronstadt, has died.

Rose Hamlin, the 71-year-old lead singer of Rosie and the Originals, died in her sleep on March 30, according to a post by her daughter, Debbie Cray, on the late performer's website.

Hamlin was born Rosalie Hamlin on July 21, 1945, in Oregon. She was raised in Alaska before moving to California when she was a preteen.

Hamlin was 14 years old when she penned "Angel Baby," a song that Lennon would later call one of his all-time favorites.

Cray said Hamlin hadn't performed in years over concerns for her health, but she had taken up tending a "lovely garden," according to her post on the website.

Cray said in an interview with The Associated Press that her mother was a nature and animal lover who kept chickens and enjoyed fishing, planting trees and camping. She had a great sense of humor and loved playing pranks on people, Cray said.

"I think she really enjoyed just being Rosie the mom and grandma. I think after a while like that was just a separate life," Cray said of her mother's music career.

Hamlin wrote in her autobiography online that she penned "Angel Baby" about a teenage love and struggled for years to get credit for the song after a man was listed as its writer.

"We were musicians and not businesspeople. We got burned like so many of our peers in those days," Hamlin wrote.

Her son, John Sanders, said his mother told him about the difficulties of the music industry. "She really had to work a lot harder to get the same recognition," she said.

Hamlin also wrote about her pride in many of her accomplishments, like being in an exhibit at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, about one-hit-wonders. Hamlin wrote that she was the first Latina to be on that list, and she also was the first Latina to appear on Dick Clark's "American Bandstand" show.

Hamlin lived in New Mexico at the time of her death. She left behind Cray, Sanders, and son Joey Tafolla, along with four grandchildren.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/angel-baby-singer-dead-71-213202198.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu2dAQ3xb8s

Ahh... Slow dancing! Thank you, Rosie.
Iamwhomiam

Postby elfismiles » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Just now, at first I thought that obit above was for LYLE STUART rather than LYNNE STEWART...

American Anarchist: Are We What We Write?
by Loren Coleman, Saturday, April 08, 2017
http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2017/ ... chist.html

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47c6AeJW2ic

David Peel, Downtown Singer and Marijuana Evangelist, Dies at 74
By WILLIAM GRIMESAPRIL 9, 2017

David Peel with a poster in front of John Lennon’s Rolls-Royce in New York in June 1984. Yoko Ono donated 123 of Lennon’s personal items to be auctioned with the proceeds going to a foundation to benefit children suffering from the plight of war or poverty. Credit Frankie Ziths/Associated Press
David Peel, a longtime New York street musician whose song “I Like Marijuana” became a hippie anthem in the 1960s, and who collaborated with John Lennon and Yoko Ono in the early ’70s, died on Thursday in Manhattan. He was 74.

The cause was complications of a heart attack, said Joff Wilson, a friend who performed with Mr. Peel’s band, the Lower East Side.

Mr. Peel, an anarchist and marijuana evangelist, began performing in Washington Square Park in the late 1960s. He was equipped with three guitar chords, a screaming vocal style and an endless stream of punchy, provocative lyrics aimed at the Establishment in all its forms.

Danny Fields of Elektra Records, who later signed the Stooges and the Ramones, heard Mr. Peel and signed him to the label. Mr. Peel was recorded live in the park with a portable tape machine, singing “I Like Marijuana,” “Here Comes a Cop,” “Up Against the Wall” and other songs released in 1968 on the album “Have a Marijuana.”

“I Like Marijuana,” with its happy, insistent refrain — “I like marijuana, you like marijuana, we like marijuana too” — became his signature.

In 1971, Lennon and Ms. Ono stepped out of their limousine at the park, joined the audience being entertained by Mr. Peel and began singing along and clapping. Lennon signed Mr. Peel to Apple Records, the Beatles’ label, and produced his album “The Pope Smokes Dope.” Released in 1972, the record “might well be the first truly essential American album of the 1970s,” the music magazine Goldmine wrote in 2000.

“We loved his music, his spirit and his philosophy of the street,” Lennon said on “The David Frost Show” in 1971, performing with Mr. Peel and Ms. Ono. “That’s why we decided to make a record with him. People say, ‘Oh, Peel, he can’t sing and he can’t play.’ But David Peel is a natural, and some of his melodies are good.”

Mr. Peel soon went his own way. He started a label, Orange Records, and continued to play on the streets, assuming mythic status as the years went by and the counterculture faded from memory — although not from his. When the Occupy Wall Street movement arose in 2011, he turned up at the encampment in Zuccotti Park, guitar in hand and ready to play.

He wrote two songs for the cause, “Up Against the Wall Street” and “Mic Check, No Check.” He told a reporter for The New York Times that he planned to carry on until “the day I drop dead and go to rock ’n’ roll heaven.”

NEW YORK By Corey Kilgannon 2:44
Still Rocking, on the Lower East Side
Video
Still Rocking, on the Lower East Side
Long a counterculture fixture in the streets of Manhattan, David Peel became a regular at Occupy Wall Street events. By Corey Kilgannon on Publish Date April 27, 2012. . Watch in Times Video »

Peel — a reference to banana peel, once thought to induce a marijuana-like high — was not his name. He was born David Michael Rosario. According to his F.B.I. file, he was born on Aug. 3, 1942, in Manhattan to Puerto Rican parents. His father, Angel Perez, was a restaurant worker; his mother, Esther Rosario, was a homemaker.

He leaves no known survivors.

Mr. Peel grew up in Midwood, Brooklyn, and served two years in the Army, which stationed him in Alaska. A fellow serviceman from New York excited him with tales of the developing folk scene in Greenwich Village, and after completing his military service he made his way to the neighborhood.

He could play the harmonica, and after learning a few basic chords on the guitar he was off and running.

“I loved playing music, and I saw all the musicians standing there in Washington Square Park,” he told Goldmine in 2000. “I got involved and had a great time with the older people, playing all those oldies, from camp songs to calypso. And that’s where I began.”

The somewhat mysterious album title “Have a Marijuana” intentionally repeated an error in a Time magazine article in April 1968 about a large Yippie demonstration at Grand Central Terminal, where a police officer had spotted Mr. Peel and asked him to sing a few songs to keep the crowd happy.

“They poured into the vast main concourse of Manhattan’s Grand Central Station 3,000 strong, wearing their customary capes, gowns, feathers and beads,” the magazine wrote. “They tossed hot cross buns and firecrackers, and floated balloons up toward the celestial blue ceiling. They hummed the cosmic ‘Ommm,’ snake-danced to the tune of ‘Have a Marijuana,’ and proudly unfurled a huge banner emblazoned with a lazy ‘Y.’ ”

Mr. Peel recorded a second album for Elektra, “The American Revolution,” released in 1970. After befriending Lennon and Ms. Ono, he often appeared with them at political rallies and concerts.

During the Republican National Convention in Miami in 1972, the F.B.I., on Lennon’s trail and eager to deport him, printed fliers for its agents with a description of Lennon, should he turn up. The face in the accompanying photograph, however, was Mr. Peel’s, with a cartoon bubble surrounding the words “The Pope Smokes Dope.” Someone had mistakenly used a publicity photograph from the album.

Photo

David Peel performing in Union Square Park in 2012. Credit Marcus Yam for The New York Times
Mr. Peel recorded steadily. His album “Santa Claus Rooftop Junkie,” released in 1974, was followed by many others, including “King of Punk” (1978), “John Lennon for President” (1980), “John Lennon Forever” (1987) and “Marijuana Christmas” (2008). With Wayne Kramer, the guitarist for the politically radical group the MC5, he recorded “1984” (1984) and “War and Anarchy” (1994). In 1995, the British group Technohead sampled “I Like Marijuana” for “I Wanna Be a Hippy,” a song that made the Top 10 in Europe — new territory for Mr. Peel.

His final album, released in 2015, reflected his immutable worldview. It was titled “Give Hemp a Chance.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/09/arts ... .html?_r=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Xn35HbM2M
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 am

Wow! David Peel! I haven't heard his name in ages. I can't remember whether I met him at Washington Square Park or at [urlhttp://tinyurl.com/jwujt2c]Central Park's Bethesda Fountain[/url], both early gathering places for music and performance arts.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/american-revolution-mw0000843322

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFdSf8Ue8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2pGBv9Ly6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThUkPscsUEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld877LeeCMI
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 pm

J Geils, Rock on, John, rock on.
Iamwhomiam