Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Rest in Peace

Postby Cordelia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Very sad to read this.

Associated Press

July 22, 2017

Actor John Heard
, whose many roles included the father in the "Home Alone" series and a corrupt detective in "The Sopranos," has died. He was 72.

His death was confirmed by the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office on Saturday. TMZ reported that Heard, who lived in Southern California, was found at a Palo Alto hotel, where he was recovering from back surgery.

Heard played Peter McCallister, the father of Kevin, played by Macaulay Culkin, in "Home Alone" and "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York." He said in later interviews that he sought a movie with kids in it so his son, age 5 at the time, could come to the set and have someone to play with.

After it became a big hit, he was reluctant to revisit the role, but his agent convinced him the money was too good to pass up.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Never saw 'Home Alone'. I thought he was an under-rated actor; particularly great as a damaged Vietnam Vet in ‘Cutter’s Way’ (worth watching).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBhprZR8IRQ

Recently re-watched ‘Mindwalk' and especially enjoyed him in his role as the dry, witty poet who tolerates his best- friend (a whiny self-involved politician) and I never tire of his recitation of Pablo Neruda's 'Enigmas'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzm4JADmMI4

Edit to add that his son died in December. Wonder if both were suicides. His son's obit, written by his mother, is a dig at Heard. :shock2:

HEARD
Max. passed peacefully in his sleep on December 6, 2016, at home. His mother, Sharon and his sister, Annika, love him with all of their hearts, and he gives them signs every day, that he is loving the wonder of heaven. Max loved music, he loved his friends, and strangers as well. Max adored writing, philosophy, nature, and Dexter. He enjoyed helping friends. He was a young man who spoke few words, but his wisdom was astounding. Many friends, including Annika, feel lost, as he directed them in their lives. Max was in deep grief of not having a father participating in his life. We did everything to help him, but the agony was with him. He knew how loved he was by his mother, and sister, and his new girlfriend Maggie. We adore him, and will continue to adore him. For all of eternity. All of our love, Max. ---Mommiexxx

Published in The Record on Jan. 10, 2017
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/northj ... =183541664
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby conniption » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 pm

RT

‘No Biblical warrant’: Orange Order tells its members to give up using ‘Catholic’ RIP

Published time: 25 Jul, 2017

© Clodagh Kilcoyne / Reuters

Northern Ireland’s Orange Order has instructed its members not to use “RIP” to commemorate deaths – a move that has been met with incredulity online.

The bizarre diktat was issued in a special Reformation anniversary edition of the Orange Standard, a magazine for members of the Orange Order.

READ MORE: Orange Order’s Nazi-style costumes to be investigated by Scottish police

Speaking on BBC’s Talkback program, Wallace Thompson, secretary of Evangelical Protestants Northern Ireland, said: "Observing social media, we have noticed that the letters RIP are used a lot by Protestants, and by some evangelical Protestants.”

He added: "From a Protestant point of view, we believe, when death comes, a person either goes to be with Christ for all eternity, or into hell. So from a Protestant point of view to use the term is not theological or correct."

The magazine piece points out that RIP is an abbreviation of “rest in peace,” or “requiescat in pace” in Latin.

“[These terms] have long been used by the Roman Catholic Church and can be frequently seen, for example, in death notices and gravestones,” the article reads, before adding that the souls of those who refuse the offer of salvation will be “lost in hell forever.”

“This is what the Bible teaches, and there is no Biblical warrant for praying for the dead or for wishing that their soul might ‘rest in peace,’” the piece adds.

Speaking to the Impartial Reporter, County Grand Master of Fermanagh’s Grand Orange Lodge, Stuart Brooker, said the article “clearly explains why Protestants and members of the Orange Institution should not use the term ‘RIP’.

“For guidance on any matters like these we should refer to what the Bible teaches.”

(tweets included in the original article not shown here)

https://www.rt.com/uk/397491-orange-order-rip-ban/
conniption

Postby Cordelia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:04 am

^^
RIP, RIP. :wink

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby chump » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2017/08/ ... -2017.html
Appreciating leading research of Jim Marrs (1943-2017)
Posted on August 3, 2017 by Carl Herman

Jim Marrs was a multiple best-selling author of crucial historical events demonstrating the presence and domination of a .01% rogue state empire class dominating government, economics, and media/education.

Jim in his own words from last year courtesy of InfoWars’ (10 minutes):

... (comment)

======================

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/rip-jim-marrs/

Acclaimed investigative journalist and beloved member of the conspiracy theory and UFO research community, Jim Marrs, has passed away.

After several years working as a reporter for a variety of Texas newspapers, Marrs achieved worldwide notoriety for his landmark book Crossfire, which examined inconsistencies in the official story of the JFK assassination.

A New York Times bestseller, Crossfire, proved to be so powerful that it served as the basis, along with another book, for the Oliver Stone film JFK.

Marrs went on to write a pair of highly influential works in the form of Alien Agenda and Rule by Secrecy as well as one of the first books on the US government’s remote viewing program with Psi Spies.

In the wake of 9/11, Marrs turned his attention to that tragic event and uncovered a wealth of information which suggested that something was amiss with the ‘official’ version of events, which was brought together in the book The Terror Conspiracy.

Through later books like Rise of the Fourth Reich, Our Occulted History, and Population Control, he warned about the surreptitious and worrisome nature of the ‘New World Order’ and various ways in which the ‘powers that be’ seemed to be advancing their agenda.

An indefatigable researcher, Marrs produced a number of additional works in recent years, including a fiction offering titled Sisterhood of the Rose.

A fixture of Coast to Coast, he appeared on the program on over 40 different occasions, detailing his latest findings for C2C listeners as well as participating in panel discussions on the JFK assassination and the UFO phenomenon.

An undisputed giant in the field of esoteric research, Jim Marrs will be deeply missed by his many friends in the paranormal and conspiracy community as well as the countless readers and Coast listeners who were enlightened by his work.
chump

Postby Jerky » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Awe, man...

I did not appreciate his late life cash grab switch from warning about the Fourth Reich (a real concern) to warning about Obama being a "communist" (when he was a relatively right-of-center Democrat), but I enjoyed a great many of his earlier books, which I shared with my dad, who also enjoyed them. So I'll always think of my dad when I think of Jim Marrs, which means I can't entirely hate Jim Marrs.

YOPJerky
Jerky

Postby The Consul » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm

If you think John Heard was a good actor & you haven't seen "Cutter's Way" watch it and you will say he was a great actor. I think in it's own way it was as good as Chinatown. I knew a couple of Cutters during that time.

They fought the very air around them just so they could breathe.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Jerky » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:59 pm

The Consul » 04 Aug 2017 19:11 wrote:If you think John Heard was a good actor & you haven't seen "Cutter's Way" watch it and you will say he was a great actor. I think in it's own way it was as good as Chinatown. I knew a couple of Cutters during that time.

They fought the very air around them just so they could breathe.

Nice.

Cutter's Way (original title "Cutter and Bone") is a fantastic cult flick. Not quite Chinatown level IMO, but still pretty darn good, and dare I say somewhat RigIntish.

YOPJerky
Jerky

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:23 am

I've always appreciated Heard's performances and now sad we'll have no more from this fine actor. I hadn't seen Cutter's Way, so I watched it yesterday after reading your post, Consul. It was worth watching and all delivered fine performances. I couldn't shake the feeling, which was encouraged all the more by dialogue shared soon before the climax, that Cord was actually Cutter's father.

The untold story screams for explanation.

Why is Cutter as he is? Why is he 'broke' & broken?

Another possibility, though, could be Cutter's & Bone's connection to Cord - what kind of car did he drive?

Yes, Jerky, the RI factor shadows the entire film and leaves us finally with a puzzle - who won?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:06 am

Richard Dudman, Reporter at Center of History's Churn, Dies at 99

Read this man's extraordinary history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/business/media/richard-dudman-dead-reporter-vietcong-captive.html
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Comedian And Civil Rights Activist Dick Gregory Dies At 84

August 19, 201711:58 PM ET

Dick Gregory, the comedian and civil rights crusader, died Saturday. He was 84.

His family announced the news on his public Facebook page.

"It is with enormous sadness that the Gregory family confirms that their father, comedic legend and civil rights activist Mr. Dick Gregory departed this earth tonight in Washington, DC," his son Christian Gregory said in the post. "The family appreciates the outpouring of support and love and respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time. More details will be released over the next few days."

According to The Associated Press, Gregory, who was recently in and out of the hospital, died following a severe bacterial infection. NPR has not independently confirmed the cause of death.

Gregory gained attention as a comedian in the early 1960s, and was the first black comedian to widely win plaudits from white audiences. Darryl Littleton, author of the book Black Comedians on Black Comedy, told NPR in 2009 that Gregory broke barriers with his appearances on television, just by sitting down:

"Dick Gregory is the first to recognized — and he'll say it — the first black comedian to be able to stand flat-footed, and just delivered comedy. You had other comedians back then but they always had to do a little song or a dance or whatever, Sammy Davis had to dance and sing, and then tell jokes. Same with Pearl Bailey and some of the other comedians. But Dick Gregory was able to grow on television, sit down on the Jack Paar show — and sit on the couch and actually have a discussion, and that it never happened in the history of television."

Continued...
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... dies-at-84

Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:16 pm

And keeping it real, Jerry Lewis has joined Dick Gregory on their trip into the hereafter.
Iamwhomiam

Postby brekin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Cutter's Way pops up now and again on RI.
This isn't even the post/thread I remember reading first in regards.
Can't find the other one(s).
I didn't even recognize Heard in it. Sad about son.

Monday, February 28, 2005
Sibel's Way
http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/02/?m=1

Gregory & Lewis. Talk about two comedians with polar careers.
Both really are icons of a quickly fading/ed era.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby conniption » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Dick Gregory (Full Length) 2013 "Too Few Know"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNFAwvB ... ture=share
911TVorg

Published on Oct 22, 2013

Dick Gregory
Born: October 12, 1932, St. Louis, MO
Died: August 19, 2017, Washington, D.C.
conniption

Postby Elvis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 am

“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion