Dolphins get high on puffer fish nerve toxins

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Dolphins get high on puffer fish nerve toxins

Postby jingofever » Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 30126.html

In extraordinary scenes filmed for a new documentary, young dolphins were seen carefully manipulating a certain kind of puffer fish which, if provoked, releases a nerve toxin.

Though large doses of the toxin can be deadly, in small amounts it is known to produce a narcotic effect, and the dolphins appeared to have worked out how to make the fish release just the right amount.

Carefully chewing on the puffer and passing it between one another, the marine mammals then enter what seems to be a trance-like state.

The behaviour was captured on camera by the makers of Dolphins: Spy in the Pod, a series produced for BBC One by the award-winning wildlife documentary producer John Downer.

Rob Pilley, a zoologist who also worked as a producer on the series, told the Sunday Times: “This was a case of young dolphins purposely experimenting with something we know to be intoxicating.

“After chewing the puffer gently and passing it round, they began acting most peculiarly, hanging around with their noses at the surface as if fascinated by their own reflection.
jingofever

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dolphins get high on puffer fish nerve toxins

Postby km artlu » Fri May 22, 2015 6:15 pm

km artlu

Re: Dolphins get high on puffer fish nerve toxins

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri May 22, 2015 6:28 pm

My daughter showed me the video sometime last year. It's somewhat amusing to watch another species get high, I mean, if you're not a puffer. They seem to be smiling. (if that's the same video I saw)

Seems that everyone wants to alter their reality. :eek2:
Iamwhomiam

Return to General Discussion