The Murder of Cecil the Lion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Murder of Cecil the Lion

Postby NaturalMystik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Searcher08 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 pm wrote:He has nearly 7000 reviews of his dental practice at Yelp. They are not very flattering.

I watched it for a little while yesterday, the Yelp moderators were deleting reviews by the thousands, and couldn't keep up with the flood. I also noticed that his youtube video was getting a lot of views, more like 400 when I last looked, but no one seemed to be moderating the youtube comments.

I had to stop paying attention. I was starting to become a victim of behavior breading behavior, in that I started hated everyone and society in general. Gotta get out of that, and pay attention to the nice things. Even if it does mean putting my head in the sand...

So what's the RI angle? Is this even a real dentist with a real history? Or an actor etc? :partyhat
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Blog: View Blog (0)

Lion killer

Postby Kristine Rosemary » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 pm

Though sentient beings be numberless, we vow to save them all.
This is from Panthera, posted on their facebook

quote from the organization follows

Like many people, we were extremely saddened to learn of the tragic death of Cecil, a 13-year-old dominant male lion who was studied through the Hwange Lion Project, operated by Panthera and the University of Oxford's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU) in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park. A regal male that was breeding and helping to increase Africa’s lion populations, Cecil was popular among tourists, scientists and park rangers alike. Panthera applauds the swift actions taken by the Zimbabwe Republic police, the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe to prosecute the men responsible for this likely illegal act and bring them to justice.

Cecil’s premature death highlights a sobering and important truth: lion populations are in catastrophic decline across Africa. A century ago, more than 200,000 lions roamed the continent; yet recent surveys estimate that in the last two decades alone, lion numbers have decreased from approximately 30,000 to around 20,000.

end quote
Kristine Rosemary

Postby Nordic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 am

My son was just asking me about how many people we killed in Iraq and Afghanistan (he's 12 and is fascinated by such things, especially Hitler and 9/11) and I did some googling and came across this:

In March 2011, Karzai rejected apologies from President Obama and Gen. David Petraeus for U.S. helicopter gunners killing 9 Afghan boys ages 7–13 who were collecting firewood.

U.S. Soldiers, shooting from a helicopter murdered 9 boys. Did Americans even hear about this? Those who did, were they anywhere near as outraged as people are about this lion? Maybe because the lion has a name?

My theory is that people feel utterly helpless when it comes to stopping war crimes but they feel somewhat empowered when it comes to animals. They can choose not to eat slaughtered animals, they can rescue dogs and cats from death sentences at the pound, they can send money to organizations who set up animal preserves etc etc. So when something like this happens, all that outrage, the outrage of helplessness about lol the horrors in he world, comes out and is directed at, say, this dentist, who was not "following orders" or mistaking children for terrorists or whatever fog (actually bullshit) might give them some uncertainty, instead they see a single guy with a name and a face who deliberately acted entirely on his own to commit an atrocity, thus he is hit with all the pent up anger society holds.

Either that or humans are just fucking stupid. Maybe some combination.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 am

Nordic wrote:
U.S. Soldiers, shooting from a helicopter murdered 9 boys. Did Americans even hear about this? Those who did, were they anywhere near as outraged as people are about this lion? Maybe because the lion has a name?

Good point. Just a simple Cecil.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby km artlu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:59 am

You're right Nordic, and your post kicked off some self inspection for me.

It isn't the innocence, or perhaps it's more accurate to say the uncorrupted nature, of animals. That's equally true of those 9 Afghani boys. The seeming futility of ever having any effect on the oligarchy's relentless slaughter, that impotence, is definitely a factor.

But I don't believe I fully understand my own reaction to Cecil, as contrasted to the tragedy of those boys (an incident I had known of previously). It's something on which I should sustain some attention. So thank you for that.

I have no social media presence. But for those who do, Nordic's point here seems worthy of wider notice.
km artlu

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am

km artlu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:59 am wrote:
I have no social media presence. But for those who do, Nordic's point here seems worthy of wider notice.

Oh, don't worry about a thing, there's a million twitter activists shaming anyone for expressing any opinions about Cecil vs. Whatever They're Upset About This Week.

Narratives only work when they're enforced. We're all working overtime for our memes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cecil+t ... ves+matter

https://www.google.com/searchq=cecil+the+lion+elephants

https://www.google.com/search?q=cecil+the+lion+abortion
Wombaticus Rex

Postby km artlu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Of course. I should get out more.

Black lives...elephants...abortion, but nothing I could find about the fruits of empire.

That's interesting about memes. What does it mean to enforce a narrative?
km artlu

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm

km artlu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm wrote:What does it mean to enforce a narrative?

1 & 5.

Complex Adaptive Systems:
(1) conformity enforcers -- ie, "You can't be an ally and care about dead lions"
(2) diversity generators
(3) utility sorters
(4) resource shifters
(5) intergroup tournaments. -- ie, "Trotsky-Lysenkoism is more pure than Stalin-Lysenkoism"
Wombaticus Rex

Postby km artlu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks Wombat.

I've entered 'complex adaptive system memes' as a search term. This is going to require a lot more coffee.
km artlu

Postby Perelandra » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:33 pm

The Lion-y Coward speaks out.

As Americans, we're more comfortable than most developed countries with both hunting and crappy non-apology apologies. But Walter J. Palmer, the Minnesotan poacher whose most impressive achievement in life will be changing the image people have in their head when they hear the phrase "sadistic dentist," has offended even this proud nation of hunters and half-apologizers with his weasely attempt to avoid any responsibility for killing a world-famous lion he had no right (no matter how much he paid) to kill. That attempt to outrun the ceaseless hounds of approbation and scorn took the form of a letter to patients, begging them to separate his desire to snuff out rare forms of life for his own private enjoyment from his ability to competently drill the f**k out of your cavities. I present to you now the letter, complete with my annotations on why it is a weak, stumbling, diseased little antelope of an apology just begging to be ripped apart by predators in the public savannah:

"In early July, I was in Zimbabwe on a bow hunting trip for big game."
- In early July, my mid-life crisis had a mid-life crisis of its own.
"I hired several professional guides and they secured all proper permits."
- I bribed some guys and I just assumed it was Africa so whatevs.
"To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted."
- I didn't ask.
"I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt."
- I just thought it was one of the other, anonymous apex predators in this fragile ecosystem. Didn't realize he had an Insta account!
"I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt."
- Did I mention it was a REALLY BIG bribe? $55,000. Do you even make that much in a year?
"I have not been contacted by authorities in Zimbabwe or in the U.S. about this situation, but will assist them in any inquiries they may have."
- I threw out my cell phone. I am a genius.
"Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."
- Yes, I took him, as one would take a mistress. Then, after he had grown comfortable with my love (and after the guys I bribed tricked him into feeding on a dead animal directly behind my truck), I shot him with an arrow, followed him as he bled for two days, and then finally shot and decapitated him.
"That was never my intention."
- This is literally what I paid a year's salary for.
"The media interest in this matter – along with a substantial number of comments and calls from people who are angered by this situation and by the practice of hunting in general – has disrupted our business and our ability to see our patients."
- There have been consequences for my actions, which is total f**king bullsh*t.
"For that disruption, I apologize profoundly for this inconvenience and promise you that we will do our best to resume normal operations as soon as possible."
- Please respond to my receptionist's appointment reminder calls. She didn't shoot any lions. This time.
"We are working to have patients with immediate needs referred to other dentists and will keep you informed of any additional developments."
- Please don't go.
"On behalf of all of us at River Bluff Dental, thank you for your support."
- Me, the receptionist who hasn't quit, and all the severed heads of animals on my walls thank you.
"Sincerely, Walter J. Palmer, DDS River Bluff Dental"
- Please contact me if you'd like your family to receive $100,000 in exchange for letting me hunt The Most Dangerous Game

http://www.someecards.com/news/news/lion-killing-dentist-apology-walter-palmer/
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:43 pm

km artlu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:31 pm wrote:Thanks Wombat.

I've entered 'complex adaptive system memes' as a search term. This is going to require a lot more coffee.

Caveat Lector: don't take "memes" too seriously -- they are ambiguously defined at best, and generally seem to function as a powerful gateway drug to gibberish horseshit.

"I think that humans think because memes took over our brains and redesigned them."
-- Susan "No, Really, I'm a Skeptic" Blackmore

Banishing spell: "Reification"
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Kristine Rosemary » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:20 am

82_28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:25 pm wrote:Nordic wrote:
... Maybe because the lion has a name?

Good point. Just a simple Cecil.

Why they would name the lion Cecil, when Cecil Rhodes in Rhodesia personified the sad history of Zimbabwe, seems ironic at least.
Kristine Rosemary

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:49 pm

For me the only thing shocking about Cecil the Lions illegal killing is that it was weird to see zillions of people online voice volcanic anger, yet be completely silent on the daily deaths of black men and women at the hands of cops in America. #Lionlivesmatter

Also where's the sadness and outrage over the fact rhinos are close to being extinct?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nor ... 3f9d1a83bb
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Nordic » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 am

8bitagent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:49 pm wrote:For me the only thing shocking about Cecil the Lions illegal killing is that it was weird to see zillions of people online voice volcanic anger, yet be completely silent on the daily deaths of black men and women at the hands of cops in America. #Lionlivesmatter

Also where's the sadness and outrage over the fact rhinos are close to being extinct?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nor ... 3f9d1a83bb

And a baby was burned to death in Palestine by a group of thieving murderous "settlers".
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby conniption » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Axis of Logic

I Speak for Cecil ... and for us all

By Dallas Darling
Submitted by Author
Monday, Aug 3, 2015

Cecil - dead at age 13

“Arguments…cannot shatter this hard fact: in suffering the animals are our equals.”
-Peter Singer, Moral Philosopher

Since most of you humans are always trying to hunt down and devour your pyrrhic victories over nature, including over each other, even if we lions like our dear Cecil could speak, you still wouldn’t understand.

For instance, how many of you know of St. Lion who befriended humans? Neither are you probably familiar with the Roman-enslaved Lionocolese, who removed a thorn from the palm of a man and nursed him back to health. When Lionocolese was later thrown into the Roman Coliseum, the beastly but grateful gladiator began to caress Lionocolese. Both were set free.

To be certain, our kind used to be the most common mammalian species after you. But your inexorable rise and the spread of your settlements mirrored our decline in range and numbers. We are now on your endangered list, along with many other living creatures. It was also because of your rapacious settlements and animal herds - which led to the destruction of our natural habitats and food and water scarcity - that your wild imaginations transformed us into a threat to be preyed upon and eliminated. But in fact, you were always the real threat, the true aggressors and killers.

In addition, we lions have learned that you humans know no limits to your destructive nature and your tools which kill all kinds of creatures. (Fortunately, some of you also know no limits to your unconditional love and nonviolent resistance.) This is why we lions have an instinctual fear of humans. You, on the other paw, consider yourselves to be the noblest killers, and no other creature ever contests your claims. No wonder, then, your vicious instinct enslaved us through zoological prisons, amusing menageries for your leisure classes, and confining reservations with predetermined kills that you call a sport.

Despite their similar and unquenchable appetites, we sometimes long for your primitive ancestors and their zoomorphism. Ancient Egyptians, for example, worshipped lioness gods as protectors of the pharaohs. A more peaceful representation of us lions as a protector deity, one of our favorites, was the Hindu god Narasimha. He was half-lion and half-man who aided the poor and oppressed. Your ancestors also revered winged creatures with lion bodies and the head of a woman. Unlike Napoleon who used Egyptian sphinxes for target practice, they recognized the likeness between our two species.

Admittedly, it didn’t prevent some rulers and warriors from becoming socialized predators, tracking and stalking us for the unnatural and ultimate “kill.” They also stole our images for psychological warfare, symbols warning of their absolute power. Still, hunts were more honorable since they fought us with primitive weaponry. Even Greek mythology accepted our superior fighting skills. Hercules, unable to kill a lion, waited until it fell asleep. He then clubbed and strangled it to death. With your modernized “hunts,” you humans love myths and self-deception more than the Greeks. As for us, we survive simply so that others may simply survive. You survive to destroy and kill.

According to our geocentric traditions, the Roman Empire changed your natural ways, as most empires do. Indeed, the Romans hunted us lions (and humans that resisted or rebelled) to extinction in parts of Europe, Asia, and Africa for their euphoric blood-spectacles. But a new faith came along, banning the pathology of your self-adoration and violence, even recognizing that we lions and animals have souls. But over time, a mechanical, automated, soulless, and anthropomorphic faith unleashed you. A for-profit market economy commodified and preyed upon everything, including you humans and the Earth.

Your unquenchable and unsustainable lifestyles have led to wars and mass genocide on unprecedented scales, changing you and your leaders into the most dangerous predator on Earth. Your wildlife trafficking now inflicts pain and suffering among creatures who also have rights and should be respected. Additionally, we lions are shaking our manes over Cecil’s sensationalized death. What about the other lions that are needlessly slaughtered? We also wonder where the media’s uproar was regarding Zimbabwe’s ruler who has caused 4 million refugees. Like Cecil, shouldn’t Zimbabwe human lives matter too?

However, don’t misinterpret what we lions are trying to say. We were outraged when Cecil was illegally lured from his sanctuary and wounded with an arrow. His lengthy and insufferable death, along with being skinned and having his head removed for a trophy, were truly unnatural and socialized crimes against nature. But so are other crimes you allow. Sustaining dishonest leaders and their armies, that invade and decapitate heads of state while skinning millions of people, are also heinous crimes. Like Cecil’s aberrant death, when will your predators with blood on their hands and kill trophies be extradited?

Ironically, we Lions have also been mystified as to why we were not respected as equals, especially among your warring patriarchal societies. Like your dominant males, our males spend their time in indolence, letting their harem of “queens” do the actual work. Though they have a reputation as fierce hunters and “King,” 40 percent of their food comes from scavenging or stealing prey from others. They also rule absolutely, quick to kill any male rival that challenges their pride. In effect, they are just like your elite rulers, who, after defeating opponents, do not hesitate to liquidate his inconvenient heirs.

But again, you will never understand us lions because we don’t need a purpose or crusade, let alone imaginary enemies and wars. Unlike you, the aim of our lives is to simply see and observe. Moreover, the lion that you called Cecil was never Cecil. When you named him after the British corporatist and imperialist, Cecil Rhodes, he actually felt grieved and de-lionized, more imperial insults and genocidal blows like Rome’s. But then your anthropomorphic and hierarchical nature will always rule, and, tragically, it will prevent most of you from experiencing or seeing the natural truth.

To illustrate this point, your early ancestors over-hunted us to extinction in the Americas. Your kind also exterminated the Indian Lion, as well as the Persian and Mesopotamian Lions. In the last century, you killed-off our Barbary Lion ancestors. Whether knowingly or unknowingly, how many other creatures and resources on Earth have you unnaturally killed and consumed? It is obvious that you place a twisted monetary value on all life and the Earth, and that it reigns supreme in your socialized minds and among your concrete jungles. It is also evident your favorite pastime is fighting and war.

When our cubs are born, their eyes are closed. In a few short days they open and, unlike you humans, our eyes remain wide open. Tragically, you haven’t been able to see how you project onto us traits you never tamed, specifically the unnatural and destructive ones. If you could really see, then, you would understand that the truth is nonhuman. Furthermore, you would realize that you only think you have mastered the weapons and violent thoughts you internalize and use. But in natural reality, they have mastered you. The human who unnaturally killed Cecil, for instance, had already planned to do the same to an elephant.

At least we understand our all-too-lion yearnings, and the futility of always pining for unquenchable and pyrrhic victories and a deathless life.
_______

Dallas Darling is the author of Politics 501: An A-Z Reading on Conscientious Political Thought and Action, Some Nations Above God: 52 Weekly Reflections On Modern-Day Imperialism, Militarism, And Consumerism in the Context of John‘s Apocalyptic Vision, and The Other Side Of Christianity: Reflections on Faith, Politics, Spirituality, History, and Peace. He is a correspondent for http://www.worldnews.com.
conniption

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion