TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Postby peartreed » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Unless Americans begin to understand the strict father syndrome and how to counteract it, they're doomed to elect Donald.

https://georgelakoff.com/2016/07/22/und ... ing-trump/
peartreed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elihu » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:30 pm

And the DNC can thank themselves for screwing the one candidate who could have stopped him.

I made a post in 2011 here about Trump, and I'll state it again...he's a serious force.

dole 96, happens all the time, remember the bern is not the one being betrayed you and me are
Elihu

Postby backtoiam » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Elihu

dole 96, happens all the time, remember the bern is not the one being betrayed you and me are

Absolutely. The Bern raised a couple of hundred of million dollars and threw his support to Hillary. He became scum at that point in my book. I'm not sure why I expected anything different.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby kelley » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm

this isn't an election. it's the destruction of the republic. the citizens of the US are being blackmailed. it's so obvious and blatant and evil and terrifying.
kelley

Postby NeonLX » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm

kelley » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:11 pm wrote:this isn't an election. it's the destruction of the republic. the citizens of the US are being blackmailed. it's so obvious and blatant and evil and terrifying.

Yeah. But I think the republic has been destroyed for quite awhile now. The federal government is not "ours" as it is currently operated. The oligarchs have virtually complete control.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Elihu » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:15 pm

NeonLX » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm wrote:
kelley » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:11 pm wrote:this isn't an election. it's the destruction of the republic. the citizens of the US are being blackmailed. it's so obvious and blatant and evil and terrifying.

Yeah. But I think the republic has been destroyed for quite awhile now. The federal government is not "ours" as it is currently operated. The oligarchs have virtually complete control.

pretty much
Elihu

Postby brekin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

peartreed » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:12 pm wrote:Unless Americans begin to understand the strict father syndrome and how to counteract it, they're doomed to elect Donald.

https://georgelakoff.com/2016/07/22/und ... ing-trump/

I haven't read all of it, and other than Lakoff's obvious Dem/liberal bias which I think makes him a little misty about similiar cognitive holes with libs and Obama/Hillary, there is a lot of validity to his argument. I would even go one further and say it isn't even the strict father syndrome operating as much, but the abusive father syndrome. Trump has always been a braggart and bully, and from what I remember from his show which gave him a regular outlet, it was based around ritualized humiliation, degradation and nasty competition for father's favor, who basically held out the promise of acceptance for each one, but in the end could only give it to one, who ended up "winning" by becoming another one of his indentured servants and their abusive servility being made long term. And people wanted to be on that show, for some people it was a lifelong dream. And now they want to turn the country into a similiar Hunger Games Apprentice arena. But the Dem/libs, in their own way, push a egalitarian version of Survivor where they think by making the race to the top/bottom fun, meritocratic, team based, with lots of self reflective and group talky-talk around the campfire, and the winner of the mafia like ordeal is the most deserving because they were able to remain both the most sneaky and most popular.

Sanders supporters? Maybe a Jeopardy type game? But who watches that anymore?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Postby Novem5er » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:04 pm

From the above article, I thought this was interesting:

The answer came from a realization that we tend to understand the nation metaphorically in family terms: We have founding fathers. We send our sons and daughters to war. We have homeland security. The conservative and progressive worldviews dividing our country can most readily be understood in terms of moral worldviews that are encapsulated in two very different common forms of family life: The Nurturant Parent family (progressive) and the Strict Father family (conservative).
Novem5er

Postby brekin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Jesus Christ, Roy Cohn was Trump's mentor!!!

It all makes sense now.

But where are the Angels in America?

He Brutalized For You
How Josepth McCarthy's Henchmen Roy Cohn became Donald Trump's Mentor
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... thy-213799

The reporter from the Washington Post didn’t ask Donald Trump about nuclear weapons, but he wanted to talk about them anyway. “Some people have an ability to negotiate,” Trump said, of facing the Soviet Union. “You either have it or you don’t.”

He wasn’t daunted by the complexity of the topic: “It would take an hour and a half to learn everything there is to learn about missiles,” he said.
It was the fall of 1984, Trump Tower was new, and this was unusual territory for the 38-year-old real estate developer. He was three years away from his first semi-serious dalliance with presidential politics, more than 30 years before the beginning of his current campaign—but he had gotten the idea to bring this up, he said, from his attorney, his good friend and his closest adviser, Roy Cohn.

That Roy Cohn.

Roy Cohn, the lurking legal hit man for red-baiting Sen. Joe McCarthy, whose reign of televised intimidation in the 1950s has become synonymous with demagoguery, fear-mongering and character assassination. In the formative years of Donald Trump’s career, when he went from a rich kid working for his real estate-developing father to a top-line dealmaker in his own right, Cohn was one of the most powerful influences and helpful contacts in Trump’s life.

Over a 13-year-period, ending shortly before Cohn’s death in 1986, Cohn brought his say-anything, win-at-all-costs style to all of Trump’s most notable legal and business deals. Interviews with people who knew both men at the time say the relationship ran deeper than that—that Cohn’s philosophy shaped the real estate mogul’s worldview and the belligerent public persona visible in Trump’s presidential campaign.

“Something Cohn had, Donald liked,” Susan Bell, Cohn’s longtime secretary, said this week when I asked her about the relationship between her old boss and Trump.

By the 1970s, when Trump was looking to establish his reputation in Manhattan, the elder Cohn had long before remade himself as the ultimate New York power lawyer, whose clientele included politicians, financiers and mob bosses. Cohn engineered the combative response to the Department of Justice’s suit alleging racial discrimination at the Trumps’ many rental properties in Brooklyn and Queens. He brokered the gargantuan tax abatements and the mob-tied concrete work that made the Grand Hyatt hotel and Trump Tower projects. He wrote the cold-hearted prenuptial agreement before the first of his three marriages and filed the headline-generating antitrust suit against the National Football League. To all of these deals, Cohn brought his political connections, his public posturing and a simple credo: Always attack, never apologize.

“Cohn just pushed through things—if he wanted something, he got it. I think Donald had a lot of that in him, but he picked up a lot of that from Cohn,” Bell said.

“Roy was a powerful force, recognized as a person with deep and varied contacts, politically as well as legally,” Michael Rosen, who worked as an attorney in Cohn’s firm for 17 years, told me. “The movers and shakers of New York, he was very tight with these people—they admired him, they sought his advice. His persona, going back to McCarthy … and his battles with the government certainly attracted clients.”
It was a long, formidable list that included the executives of media empires, the Archbishop of New York and mafia kingpin Fat Tony Salerno, and there, too, near the top, was budding, grasping Donald John Trump.

“He considered Cohn a mentor,” Mike Gentile, the lead prosecutor who got Cohn disbarred for fraud and deceit not long before he died, said in a recent interview.
People who knew Cohn and know Trump—people who have watched and studied both men—say they see in Trump today unmistakable signs of the enduring influence of Cohn. The frank belligerence. The undisguised disregard for niceties and convention. The media manipulation clotted with an abiding belief in the potent currency of celebrity.

Trump did not respond to a request from Politico to talk about Cohn. In the past, though, when he has talked about Cohn, Trump has been clear about why he collaborated with him, and admired him.“If you need someone to get vicious toward an opponent, you get Roy,” he told Newsweek in 1979.
A year later, pressed by a reporter from New York magazine to justify his association with Cohn, he was characteristically blunt: “All I can tell you is he’s been vicious to others in his protection of me.”

He elaborated in an interview in 2005. “Roy was brutal, but he was a very loyal guy,” Trump told author Tim O’Brien. “He brutalized for you.”
Trump, in the end, turned some of that cold calculation on his teacher, severing his professional ties to Cohn when he learned his lawyer was dying of AIDS.

Cohn and Trump, according to Trump, met in 1973 at Le Club, a members-only East Side hangout for social-scene somebodies and those who weren’t but wanted to be.

By then Cohn had been in the public eye for 20 years. As chief counsel to McCarthy, he led secretive investigations of people inside and outside the federal government whom he and McCarthy suspected of Communist sympathies, homosexuality or espionage. Over a period of several years, McCarthy’s crusade destroyed dozens of careers before a final 36-day, televised hearing brought his and Cohn’s often unsubstantiated allegations into the open, leading to McCarthy’s censure in the Senate. Cohn, disgraced by association, retreated to his native New York.

There, through the ‘60s and into the ‘70s, Cohn embraced an unabashedly conspicuous lifestyle. He had a Rolls-Royce with his initials on a vanity plate and a yacht called Defiance. He was a singular nexus of New York power, trafficking in influence and reveling in gossip. He hung on the walls of the East 68th Street townhouse, that doubled as the office of his law firm, pictures of himself with politicians, entertainers and other bold-face names. He was a tangle of contradictions, a Jewish anti-Semite and a homosexual homophobe, vehemently closeted but insatiably promiscuous. In 1964, ’69 and ’71, he had been tried and acquitted of federal charges of conspiracy, bribery and fraud, giving him—at least in the eyes of a certain sort—an aura of battle-tested toughness, the perception of invincibility. “If you can get Machiavelli as a lawyer,” he would write in The Autobiography of Roy Cohn, “you’re certainly no fool of a client.”

Trump was 27. He had just moved to Manhattan but was still driving back to his father’s company offices in Brooklyn for work. He hadn’t bought anything. He hadn’t built anything. But he had badgered the owners of Le Club to let him join, precisely to get to know older, connected, power-wielding men like Cohn. He knew who he was. And now he wanted to talk.
He and his father had just been slapped with Department of Justice charges that they weren’t renting to blacks because of racial discrimination. Attorneys had urged them to settle. Trump didn’t want to do that. He quizzed Cohn at Le Club. What should they do?

He became Donald’s mentor, his constant adviser on every significant aspect of his business and personal life.”
“Tell them to go to hell,” Cohn told Trump, according to Trump’s account in his book The Art of the Deal, “and fight the thing in court.”
That December, representing the Trumps in United States v. Fred C. Trump, Donald Trump and Trump Management, Inc., Cohn filed a $100-million countersuit against the federal government, deriding the charges as “irresponsible” and “baseless.”

The judge dismissed it quickly as “wasting time and paper.”
The back-and-forth launched more than a year and a half of bluster and stalling and bullying—and ultimately settling. But in affidavits, motions and hearings in court, Cohn accused the DOJ and the assisting FBI of “Gestapo-like tactics.” He labeled their investigators “undercover agents” and “storm troopers.” Cohn called the head of DOJ down in Washington and attempted to get him to censure one of the lead staffers.
The judge called all of it “totally unfounded.”

By June of 1975, the judge had had it with the Trumps’ attorney. “I must say, Mr. Cohn,” he said in a hearing, “that this case seems to be plagued with unnecessary problems, and I think the time has come when we have to bite the bullet.”

They hashed out the details of a consent decree. The Trumps were going to have to rent to more blacks and other minorities and they were going to have to put ads in newspapers—including those targeted specifically to minority communities—saying they were an “equal housing opportunity” company. Trump and his father, emboldened by Cohn, bristled at the implication of wrongdoing—even, too, at the cost of the ads.

“It is really onerous,” Trump complained.
At one point, flouting the formality of the court, Trump addressed one of the opposing attorneys by her first name: “Will you pay for the expense, Donna?”
Trump and Cohn seemed most concerned with managing the media. They squabbled with the government attorneys over the press release about the disposition. First they wanted no release. Impossible, said the government. Then they wanted “a joint release.” A what? A public agency, it was explained to them, had a public information office, on account of the public’s right to know.

Cohn didn’t want to hear it.
"They will say what they want,” he told the judge, and everybody else in the courtroom, “and we will say what we want.”
The government called the consent decree “one of the most far reaching ever negotiated.”
Cohn and Trump? They called it a victory.
Case 73 C 1529 was over. The relationship between Cohn and Trump had just begun.

“Though Cohn had ostensibly been retained by Donald to handle a single piece of litigation,” Wayne Barrett, an investigative journalist for New York’s Village Voice, would write in his 1992 book about Trump, “he began in the mid-‘70s to assume a role in Donald’s life far transcending that of a lawyer. He became Donald’s mentor, his constant adviser on every significant aspect of his business and personal life.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... z4FYYg8TYY
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 pm

The mood on the street this week matches this, and the praxis in our workshops and panels in the evenings after the streets takes this into account for moving forward.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Novem5er » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:04 am

I have a friend at the DNC, too, and she's been sharing the good news of walkouts, protests, and marches. The mainstream media is even covering it, too, but again it's hard to find an exact number in their reports. If its hundreds of people, they seem to be under-reporting it.
Novem5er

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:23 am

Novem5er » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:04 pm wrote:I have a friend at the DNC, too, and she's been sharing the good news of walkouts, protests, and marches. The mainstream media is even covering it, too, but again it's hard to find an exact number in their reports. If its hundreds of people, they seem to be under-reporting it.

It's pretty tough to get a handle on the numbers. My best guess would be about 200.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 am

Interesting comment at Raw Story I just read.

ladycat713 • 2 hours ago

I have to wonder if this whole run for president is just a way for him to dodge all of his debt especially the debt he might owe to mobsters since he'll be under secret service protection for his entire life if he wins.

You got me. But makes some sense.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 am

Trump's not releasing his tax returns :P
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 am

How the fuck is he going to secure all "his properties" should he win? Security would definitely have to be ramped up forever at anything bearing the name TRUMP.

God that guy is a motherfucking asshole. Duh. But Jesus. He simply does not think.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion