TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:54 am

I didn't agree with anything he said other than the same criticisms I have with Clinton. I did like the thing he said "moving our jobs overseas, to Mexico". To his credit he may have meant overseas AND Mexico.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 am

0_0 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:44 pm wrote:
Yusef Salaam was 15 years old when Donald Trump demanded his execution for a crime he did not commit.

Nearly three decades before the rambunctious billionaire began his run for president – before he called for a ban on Muslims entering the United States, for the expulsion of all undocumented migrants, before he branded Mexicans as “rapists” and was accused of mocking the disabled – Trump called for the reinstatement of the death penalty in New York following a horrific rape case in which five teenagers were wrongly convicted.

The miscarriage of justice is widely remembered as a definitive moment in New York’s fractured race relations. But Trump’s intervention – he signed full-page newspaper advertisements implicitly calling for the boys to die – has been gradually overlooked as the businessman’s chances of winning the Republican nomination have rapidly increased. Now those involved in the case of the so-called Central Park Five and its aftermath say Trump’s rhetoric served as an unlikely precursor to a unique brand of divisive populism that has powered his rise to political prominence in 2016.

“He was the fire starter,” Salaam said of Trump, in his first extended interview since Trump announced his run for the White House. “Common citizens were being manipulated and swayed into believing that we were guilty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... e-new-york

What a one trick pony.

It reminds me of this time I got into a Usenet battle with seemingly everyone in some town on Long Island, god at least 15 years ago. They were being super racist and were menacing Latino day workers. So I went to work challenging their shit. Oh (just remembered) how I found out about it at all was because a story I heard on NPR. The whole town (and I wish I could remember its name -- gotta look at a map to jog my memory) was arguing about my presence on their racist thread. This was before FB and even Myspace. Just an old newsgroup.

But fuck were they racist as fuck and their "tone" was so hostile. They didn't see that they were replying to one another and I could see it too. All I was doing was pleading with them to be more kind. They were convinced all Mexicans were rapists too. Trump reminds me exactly of them. I wish I had a transcript of all that went on. But damn were they hateful.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 am

Ah yes. Here is the racist ass town. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/opini ... .html?_r=0

Farmingville, NY. That's a link to a story in the NYT from 2004.

ONE year ago tomorrow, a group of teenagers used a Fourth of July rocket to set the house of a sleeping Mexican family ablaze in Farmingville. Because neighbors rushed to help, Sergio Perez and Maria Garcia and their two young children were saved.

Last month, ''Farmingville,'' a documentary about racism and immigrant labor on Long Island, was broadcast on television, renewing the debate. The Op-Ed editors asked two people who appeared in the film to share their perspectives on the growing tensions between itinerant workers and the residents of Farmingville and to suggest what can be done.

I HAVE lived in Farmingville for almost 18 years. It is a middle-class community made up of people from ethnically diverse backgrounds -- an average suburban town. But about seven years ago, the town began to change. Groups of men started to congregate on street corners, or sit outside houses on the main road. There were no women or children, just men.

After a time, it became clear that the men were mostly from Mexico, and that they had come here, most illegally, to find work. It's no exaggeration to say that their presence has completely changed the town.

As a woman, I feel intimidated. It's unsettling to walk past 30 or 40 men standing outside the 7-Eleven. My elderly mother no longer takes her regular walks; she's also changed her shopping schedule so that she can go to the stores when there are fewer men around. One morning, at 3, my dogs started barking wildly. I looked out the window to see the silhouette of a man holding onto my front gate. I was terrified and called 911. The police told me that the man was Hispanic, drunk and thought that he lived in my house. They took him home. The tension in the community has increased because of the absence of local, state and federal law enforcement.

But it's not just my life that has been altered. Take housing, for example. Farmingville has a lot of one-family houses. Today, many of them are crammed with 25 to 30 Mexican laborers who are forced to sleep on the floors. Normally, the average monthly rent for one of these houses would be $1,500, but I have been told that the laborers are charged as much as $400 to $500 per month each. It's a situation that is bad for them, and bad for neighboring homeowners. It's obvious which houses these are; they're in terrible shape and falling apart.

And the contractors who hire these day laborers do not all pick them up on the street corners. They go door to door to these houses. As a result, residential streets have become filled with traffic and noise. The peaceful Farmingville that I remember no longer exists.

The positive image of our community has vanished, too. In 2000, two white supremacists beat two Mexican workers living in Farmingville so viciously that they almost died. This horrible act was inexcusable, and even though the assailants were not from Farmingville, our town developed a reputation as a hotbed of racism on Long Island.

I've written numerous letters to politicians hoping that one would come to Farmingville to hear our concerns and work with us to solve some of the problems. I have hoped that the Internal Revenue Service would crack down on the contractors who were hiring these men illegally, and that our town officials would enforce zoning and traffic codes to deal with the overcrowded houses and truck traffic. But there has not been one agency that has been willing to enforce the law. Officials at every level have failed us. The time for them to act is now.
82_28

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:06 pm

The positive image of our community has vanished, too. In 2000, two white supremacists beat two Mexican workers living in Farmingville so viciously that they almost died. This horrible act was inexcusable, and even though the assailants were not from Farmingville, our town developed a reputation as a hotbed of racism on Long Island.

I've written numerous letters to politicians hoping that one would come to Farmingville to hear our concerns and work with us to solve some of the problems. I have hoped that the Internal Revenue Service would crack down on the contractors who were hiring these men illegally, and that our town officials would enforce zoning and traffic codes to deal with the overcrowded houses and truck traffic. But there has not been one agency that has been willing to enforce the law. Officials at every level have failed us. The time for them to act is now.

Yeah, that all sounds, uh....pretty racist-ass.

Or something.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brekin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Jerky » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:30 am wrote:You guys really thought that speech was good? Jeez.

I mean, he didn't shit his pants, reach back, then fling it into the audience, so I guess he exceeded expectations, but he basically stood there and spewed lies stolen wholesale from books published by World Net Daily and David Horowitz's outfit as though they were gospel truth.

They're not gospel truth. They're drivel.
I still think he's not going to be the GOP candidate. But we'll see.
YOPJ

Didn't you hear the part where he said he was going to make American dram again? :basicsmile

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Go ahead, ban us, you spoiled brat

Published 3:22 pm, Monday, June 20, 2016

The following editorial appeared in The York (Pa.) Dispatch:

Dear Donald Trump,

We have been aware for some time of your tendency to ban from campaign events representatives of certain news organizations with which you disagree.

With the recent addition of The Washington Post to your growing blacklist, however, we can longer remain silent.

It is simply unacceptable for a candidate seeking the highest office in the land — the most important leadership job in the world, if you will — to be playing favorites with the media.

We believe strongly that all responsible news organizations should have equal inaccess to your campaign.

You, sir, are doing us a great disservice by not including The York Dispatch among those organizations unwelcome at your events.

No, the Dispatch does not have the reach of The Washington Post, The New York Times, Politico, BuzzFeed and The Huffington Post.

Nor do we have the readership even of regional publications like the Des Moines Register and the New Hampshire Union Leader.

The Dispatch might be small by comparison, but our commitment to asking tough questions, pointing out inconsistencies, flagging outright lies, simply holding candidates accountable for their words and actions is second to none.

We happen to agree with Thomas Burr, the National Press Club president who had this to say after your 45-minute tirade against journalists (who had the gall to question your charitable giving to veterans organizations — giving that didn't begin in earnest until questions were asked):

"Donald Trump misunderstands — or, more likely, simply opposes — the role a free press plays in a democratic society. Reporters are supposed to hold public figures accountable. Any American political candidate who attacks the press for doing its job is campaigning in the wrong country. In the United States, under our Constitution, a free press is a check on politicians of all parties."

That's exactly how we feel — why won't you ban us?

We also believe you're acting like a spoiled-rotten child — the petty poster boy for why we need a strong Fourth Estate. (It's how the grown-ups sometimes refer to journalists, dating back to ... oh, never mind.)

A spoiled, foul-mouthed child, we might add. You're so quick to insult other members of the media for doing their jobs — "sleaze," "loser," "scum" — yet never once have you singled out The York Dispatch.

Let 'er rip, Mr. Trump. We can take it.

We've probably heard worse from others who resent a free press, people who know bigger words and use more syllables.

Now, we understand sitting out your campaign events means we might miss a serious, coherent policy speech. Let's just say, we like our odds.

The fact is, we caught your act in Harrisburg a month or so back. It was a lot like a Don Rickles bit, if the insult comedian were a little less self-aware.

No, we're pretty sure we can cover that circus just fine from outside the tent, with the rest of the journalists who refuse to be silenced.

All that said, should you decide to lift your ban and give all members of the media equal access, we would be happy to rescind our request and consider covering a future Trump event in our area.

Unless, of course, it conflicts with the latest Starbucks grand opening, in which case, we're sure you'll understand, we would have to weigh the best use of our resources.

Sincerely, and with all the respect you're due,

— The York Dispatch Editorial Board

Article at this source is behind paywall
http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-opinion/article/Go-ahead-ban-us-you-spoiled-brat-8313571.php
Iamwhomiam

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:51 pm

For a second I thought that headline was addressed to brekin :lol:
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:11 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm wrote:I remember that Crumb piece!

Wombaticus Rex » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:51 pm wrote:That speech was pretty amazing. Where did Lucid Trump come from?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/t ... ion-224654

For some reason the video shows an empty podium while he reads from some other spot in the room. But that is what he is doing, reading. He's a great reader. He reads fabulously.

And haven't several of us been saying this is coming? Once he's dispensed with the Republican antagonists, he will run to Clinton's left - and may do so very effectively. What doesn't he talk about in this speech? Everything that was central to his pitch until now. Nothing about a wall. Nothing about a flood of Mexican scum. Nothing about deporting 11 million people. Nothing about TAKE THEIR OIL. Nothing about closing the border to Muslims. Suddenly immigrant communities, LGBT, ordinary Muslim people in the Middle East, African Americans, inner cities, all are suffering and need a helping hand. He's going to bring them jobs, jobs, jobs, work, work, work, greatness, riches, etc.

"He's a great reader. He reads fabulously"

And he reads huge, really huge books.

Once he's dispensed with the Republican antagonists, he will run to Clinton's left - and may do so very effectively.

Ahh! The old Trump Shuffle: "Slide to your left, now take a step forward, slide to your left, now take a step forward, take a glance to the right and take a step forward..."

Sung, of course to the tune and beat of your own choosing.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Karmamatterz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm

If the press were really doing their jobs it would one thing. Since they are at best glorified stenographers at the national level it matters not.
Karmamatterz

Postby brekin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote:Go ahead, ban us, you spoiled brat

Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:51 pm wrote:For a second I thought that headline was addressed to brekin :lol:

Ha, yes...you do know I'm really not a mod at all, right?

Hopefully Chump has learned that by now.

Funny how people can be influenced.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

82_28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 am wrote:Ah yes. Here is the racist ass town. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/opini ... .html?_r=0

Farmingville, NY. That's a link to a story in the NYT from 2004.

ONE year ago tomorrow, a group of teenagers used a Fourth of July rocket to set the house of a sleeping Mexican family ablaze in Farmingville. Because neighbors rushed to help, Sergio Perez and Maria Garcia and their two young children were saved.

Last month, ''Farmingville,'' a documentary about racism and immigrant labor on Long Island, was broadcast on television, renewing the debate. The Op-Ed editors asked two people who appeared in the film to share their perspectives on the growing tensions between itinerant workers and the residents of Farmingville and to suggest what can be done.

I HAVE lived in Farmingville for almost 18 years. It is a middle-class community made up of people from ethnically diverse backgrounds -- an average suburban town. But about seven years ago, the town began to change. Groups of men started to congregate on street corners, or sit outside houses on the main road. There were no women or children, just men.

After a time, it became clear that the men were mostly from Mexico, and that they had come here, most illegally, to find work. It's no exaggeration to say that their presence has completely changed the town.

As a woman, I feel intimidated. It's unsettling to walk past 30 or 40 men standing outside the 7-Eleven. My elderly mother no longer takes her regular walks; she's also changed her shopping schedule so that she can go to the stores when there are fewer men around. One morning, at 3, my dogs started barking wildly. I looked out the window to see the silhouette of a man holding onto my front gate. I was terrified and called 911. The police told me that the man was Hispanic, drunk and thought that he lived in my house. They took him home. The tension in the community has increased because of the absence of local, state and federal law enforcement.

But it's not just my life that has been altered. Take housing, for example. Farmingville has a lot of one-family houses. Today, many of them are crammed with 25 to 30 Mexican laborers who are forced to sleep on the floors. Normally, the average monthly rent for one of these houses would be $1,500, but I have been told that the laborers are charged as much as $400 to $500 per month each. It's a situation that is bad for them, and bad for neighboring homeowners. It's obvious which houses these are; they're in terrible shape and falling apart.

And the contractors who hire these day laborers do not all pick them up on the street corners. They go door to door to these houses. As a result, residential streets have become filled with traffic and noise. The peaceful Farmingville that I remember no longer exists.

Oh, Farmingville. I thought you were referring to Long Island's openly Nazi town, Yaphank, with its Aldolph Hitler Street. Like many other places, Long Island is filled with crazy racists, like my cousin and her crowd, who would love to smoosh my face, but I try my best to make it education and not confrontational, and I listen a lot. I do politely correct misinformation factually, though. (Actually, they love me!)

These were to boondocks when I was a kid and mostly agricultural lands, empty of humanity's presence for miles around. My great Aunt lived on Rt.112, moving there in the early '50s to live alone to the worry of all. There is still plenty of agriculture out this way, but mostly further out, and most work is on vineyards these days, rather than potato farms. If you can rent a one bedroom house here for $1500 a month, that's an incredible bargain.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:14 pm

brekin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:42 pm wrote:Ha, yes...you do know I'm really not a mod at all, right?

Ha... well played, well played.
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby brekin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:14 pm wrote:
brekin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:42 pm wrote:Ha, yes...you do know I'm really not a mod at all, right?

Ha... well played, well played.

And nice of you to have a sense of humor about it.

Zartan appreciates that.

brekin

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:36 am

All the hate toward Trump, when it was his old pal Bill Clinton who convinced him to run for President. Face it, the election has been in the bag for awhile. Clinton is a thousand times worse than Trump. Trumps only purpose is to scare you into voting for the most corrupt presidential candidate since Nixon
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:35 am

Tramps Against Trump Will Send You Nude Pictures for Voting Against Donald Trump
Incentivizing political engagement in new and unexpected ways.
By Kali Holloway / AlterNet June 23, 2016

“I respect women, I love women, I cherish women,” Donald Trump said at a campaign stop last year, a sentiment he has repeated many times since, in many creepy ways. If polls can be considered women’s response, then according to pretty much all the polls ever, the feeling is definitely not mutual.

While lots of women have shown their opposition to the billionaire in a range of ways, one group is taking a particularly unique approach. They're called Tramps Against Trump, and if you vote for anyone but Donald Trump, they will send you a nude photo.

Inspired by Sluts Against Harper—a group that used the same tactic to garner opposition to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was unseated by Justin Trudeau—the basic idea is simple. Per the Tramps Against Trump website, to receive a nude photo, all you have to do is send a selfie that includes proof you voted in the form of a voter receipt. The group notes that “Tramps Against Trump does NOT endorse any presidential candidate, we simply are advocating for anyone BUT TRUMP.” Technically, you don’t actually have to demonstrate that you voted against Trump, since lots of states have laws or general policies prohibiting photo-taking in voting booths. This is about the bigger picture. In addition to opposing Trump, Tramps Against Trump is hoping to motivate people to get out and extra-enthusiastically do their civic duty.

“In the past we had Rock the Vote and other ways to get the vote out, but what do young people like now? They like naked people on the internet,” Tramps Against Trump’s spokesperson, who goes by the name Jessica Rabbit, told Vice's Motherboard. “So, we’re using naked people on the internet to make a change and get people excited about something.”

Source: Tramps Against Trump Tumblr.

While the group started off solely female, it has grown into a much more representative, uh, body. People over 18 who can’t vote in the U.S. election for various reasons, but who dislike Trump, are invited to send a censored or uncensored picture. The Tramps Against Trump Tumblr says people of “all races/genders/bodies” are needed to submit their nudes.

"We plan on using this platform to discuss issues that directly relate to sex, race, gender and body politics in this election cycle,” Rabbit told Mashable. “We are trying to use some of the things Trump hates the most against him.”

Considering Trump—and the entire GOP, really—has shown consistent contempt toward women, the LGBT community, reproductive justice, feminism, sex-positivity movements and pretty much everything Tramps Against Trump stands for, it’s easy to see how the group serves as a lighthearted poke in the eye to the right’s warped moral compass. But Rabbit told Motherboard that as a sex worker, she is seriously concerned about the impact of this election.

“Whoever becomes president will have a direct effect on what we can and can’t do with our bodies, and how the law will move forward relating to us,” Rabbit said. “For sex workers, this is a really important election.”

Tramps Against Trump had its Instagram taken down (twice), but keeps things going with Twitter, snapchat (@trampsxtrump) and Tumblr. All of the photos posted, it should go without saying (but here goes), are fairly NSFW. Rabbit says overall, the response to the idea has been positive, with encouraging feedback pouring in from a global audience. Yet more proof that fear of a Trump presidency extends far and wide, beyond U.S. borders.

"Our inbox has been overflowing with love and support from people from all over the world and from all different backgrounds," she told Mashable. "It's been overwhelmingly wonderful and inspiring."

For those with negative things to say, Rabbit told Motherboard the group expects not everyone will agree with their approach. But the point is, they don’t have to.

“Of course that critique is going to come, and Hillary Clinton followers will definitely be some of the people that push that rhetoric forward,” Rabbit told the outlet. “We’re sexualized by audiences, by men, and by the media. If we engage with it and send nudes, we lose; if we don’t, then we still lose. In the end, we’re consenting adults who are choosing to participate in this campaign.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion