TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:10 am

Karmamatterz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:09 pm wrote:
...snip...

Interesting that you went from one extreme to the other here. It has to be either public education or the binary choice, corporations running schools. You have heard of private schools right? Contrary to popular leftist belief, they aren't all run by corporations. I gather you don't live in the U.S., but there are many excellent private schools. If you want to send your kid to a private school you will find a way to do it....if you actually give shit about their education. Fact is, many people don't. My dad was a teacher, and I know plenty of teachers who tell me many parents don't get off their lazy asses to even bother attending parent/teacher conferences. The Creationism thing is total dog whistle. NOBODY, I mean NOBODY I talk to, or listen when they are discussing school issues ever bring that topic up. Why would they? It simply isn't an issue. Its so fringe that its funny when people on RI bring it up. Sure, there might be some school districts where it has been an issue, but its such an extremely small minority that its inconsequential to the overall picture.

Actually creationism is a big problem. 38% of Americans believe God created man within the last 10000 years, and a lot of them want it taught in schools and are trying to push it in school boards across the country. Thankfully they usually fail, but not for lack of trying.

As for private schools, I'm against them on principle. Some private schools are excellent, and some are purely profit driven with no thought to how their students turn out. Even if you have laws that says you can't run for-profit private schools they will just set up companies to supply various services (office, janitorial, supplies, food etc.) and charge through the nose to supply those services to the "non-profit" school they're running. I know this because it's exactly what's happening here in Norway.

Also, the way DeVos is trying to push the school voucher system means that it's the tax payer footing the bill. The private schools get government funding per student. You can bet your ass people will figure ways to fleece that system.
Why not just spend that money on ensuring a good, public education for everyone? No profit motive, no religious agendas, just a mandate to supply the best possible education.

And religious schools. God damn. They should be outright banned. Filling children's brains with fairy tales and superstitious horseshit is not something a decent society should be OK with. If they want their children to have a religious upbringing then they can do it themselves. It's a private matter and has no place in schools, or any other public space for that matter (except houses of worship, obviously).

Parents are more concerned about discipline in classrooms, having quality teachers who are held accountable and programs for gifted students. Teachers who can bring to the classroom a shred of skill in teaching children how to think would be miraculous. Critical rational thinking, not the latest trend in pop culture. Parents are concerned that lazy or fearful principles allow crappy behavior to run out of control in the hallways. Its a real thing. It would be grand if teachers who fall asleep in the classroom are fired. Yes, its a real thing and my son experienced it first hand. I saw the photos fo the teacher asleep. She got fired, sued the school district and because of the union contract was able to get sizable parachute. Total BS and we parents were outraged. Meanwhile, in the next classroom over the female English lit teacher was having sex with one of her students. At least she was prosecuted and sent to prison. Parents with gifted students desperately want their kids challenged and to have the highest level of teachers, programs and material available for their children to excel. If you are on RI and have children in public schools then you know (one would hope) that the history classes taught are absolutely pathetic. Have you actually seen the textbooks? What a joke. I often had discussions with my kids about what was being taught in their history and "soc" classes and was appalled.

Teachers falling asleep or having sex with their students doesn't strike me as huge problems in the current system. I don't see the relevance of bringing that up.

As for the quality of the teaching material, do you really think it would get better if it was left in the hands of a thousand different organizations with different goals?

We're all concerned with school funding. The model in Ohio sucks and an alternative to property tax funding would be a great start.
"(teachers should have the same pay and social status as doctors imo)" - Here in normal people land a lot of folks think teachers are already overpaid. I personally don't think they are overpaid, but I believe union contracts allow for some who are less motivated to get lazy with no accountability.

Teachers in the US are paid on average $46,000 a year, and that includes having to put up with a room full of children every day, year after year, plus godawful amounts of overtime at home, grading papers and preparing assignments, and union contracts are what got them even that in the first place.
I have four teachers in my family, and listening to them and their experiences that number is way too low. Their job is quite literally to build the foundations of the future of your country, and I think their pay and status should reflect that.

Of course you will get the occasional dickhead just sailing through on union backing, but that's a silly argument against unions. Every kind of organization will get the occasional turd in the system. It's called "humans".

Getting rid of school boards? Replace that DIRECT form of democracy with what? Fact is, school boards are elected by locals. What is the alternative? A larger government body that determines all things local? I think not. Parents who care know school boards are necessary to keep a form of democracy with the local schools. The values of what the locals want in their schools is part of what this is about. Removing local control and a say is not respecting what the local citizens want for their schools.

What if the locals want to remove critical thinking, or teach creationism? How about just hiring qualified people and not just electing whoever happens to be the most persuasive speaker, regardless of their actual qualifications? Sure, have parent representatives and all that, but determining school policy should be left to people who are actually qualified.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Karmamatterz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 am

And religious schools. God damn. They should be outright banned

Long live totalitarianism. Is that your goal?

Wow dude. Are you aware in America we have this thing called the Constitution?

It's a thing you know?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

That's cool you seem to find religion evil, or are fearful of people who have relisgious belief systems. Okee dokee....just as your (if you were an American) beliefs would be protected theirs would as well.

Thankfully I walked away from the Catholic Church when I was 18, and joke I'm a recovering Catholic. But even though I have no interest in organized religion, that does NOT mean I get off on lambasting others for their religious beliefs. How fucking pathetic and immature. It also doesn't mean I would agree with them on what they believe, but they have that right.

Teachers having sex with their students not a problem? It's hard to take anything you say serious. How would you like it if your son or daughter was molested by a teacher or coach? How would you like it if your teenage daughter who was a student athlete got medical care from a world renowned doctor at a well know university and during the exam he shoved his hand inside of her to get his jollies? You really don't think it's a problem for teachers to groom 13 and 14 year old boys and girls and seduce them followed by full sex acts?

Why do you think schools are required to do background checks on teachers? Get your head out of some survey on Creationism and wake up to what parents are more concerned about.
Karmamatterz

Postby SonicG » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:17 am

To put it back on-topic...I was thinking how utterly amazing it is that Republicans can only get functionally illiterate men to the POTUSA. Even though not a direct product himself, Trump certainly functions as a beacon to those who are illiterate, willfully or not...But we have to face that fact that we are headed for a post-literate culture. Kids don't even use wikipedia, they first look something up on youtube, apparently.
Critical thinking is reserved for those pre-selected as future elite ("gifted" etc.), and the rest are taught to show up on time, sit at a desk, shut up and follow the leader...

Or we could go the Ivan Illich route, now probably co-opted by fundie homeschoolers...
Deschooling Society (1971) is a critical discourse on education as practised in modern economies. It is a book that brought Ivan Illich to public attention. Full of detail on programs and concerns, the book gives examples of the ineffectual nature of institutionalized education. Illich posited self-directed education, supported by intentional social relations in fluid informal arrangements:

"Universal education through schooling is not feasible. It would be no more feasible if it were attempted by means of alternative institutions built on the style of present schools. Neither new attitudes of teachers toward their pupils nor the proliferation of educational hardware or software (in classroom or bedroom), nor finally the attempt to expand the pedagogue's responsibility until it engulfs his pupils' lifetimes will deliver universal education. The current search for new educational funnels must be reversed into the search for their institutional inverse: educational webs which heighten the opportunity for each one to transform each moment of his living into one of learning, sharing, and caring. We hope to contribute concepts needed by those who conduct such counterfoil research on education – and also to those who seek alternatives to other established service industries."

The last sentence makes clear what the title suggests—that the institutionalization of education is considered to institutionalize society and conversely that ideas for de-institutionalizing education may be a starting point for a de-institutionalized society.
(wikipedia entry)
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 am

I'll go ahead and echo Dr. Evil. Yes, if the machinations of the likes of DeVos come to fruition, no, taxes should not go to pay for indoctrination in lieu of a government administered secular education endorsed by well, anyone educated. Religious schools should indeed be banned. There is plenty of time in the day after school to go do church shit, youth group shit, retreat shit. I did it up until I was like 15 or 16 myself, though I didn't believe none of it and was even raised a "fundamentalist". There is plenty of time for inculcation after school. This is why religion has become more "edgy" and savvy over the last 30 or so years insofar as its appeal to "pop culture". Trending pop culture and religion in turn have become even more, to use your term, more totalitarian while they morph into one another so as to be indistinguishable. Furthermore, religion and prayer was NEVER BANNED in public schools ever. That is the biggest canard I noted growing up when they were throwing these "meet you at the flagpole" prayer shenanigans back then. Fuckin' go for it. All of it a ruse to attract (back then) a happy medium of generational distrust of those espousing educated, secular freedom as an enemy who by default demonstrates that it is OK to think for yourself. Those days are gone. I can think of many teachers that I had in the 1990s who would easily be fired today for the amount of freedom they afforded us kids to think for ourselves.

Teachers having sex with kids??? Duh. Jesus. Yes. Back before social media, cameras everywhere and kids accustomed to Internet enabled "play dates", helmets when skiing, bicycling, skateboarding blah blah, an invisible war permitting safety first society us kids identified those motherfuckers quick. What did I, "we" do? One teacher we knew of drove a Yugo. So I gathered up several guys so we could go pick it up and move it to another parking lot. Would have been super funny if high definition cameras fit in one's back pocket back then. Instant sensational viral video. Another deviant who offended me because of how he treated a friend of mine repeatedly at school, I just slashed his tires myself. I think he drove a Camaro. There was another teacher, who I did not fuck around with because he was loved by the jocks, football team and all that. He ran DECA. But everyone "knew" he was fucking some of the cheerleaders (rumor and body language). But here is the one for sure that I know. There was a PE teacher "coach" who always had this effeminate Asian boy on the couch in the communal coach's office festooned with windows. He would just lay there. He taught us kids weight training. The boy was there before and after training us all on weights.

Anyhow, that's how shit went before the technofascist mirror of the same ol' same ol' in my approximation. Disgusting and ripe to be ridiculed but it was and is.

Quit feeling empowered by the miasma of techno empowerment like you give a fuck about the kids. No. Nobody does. Sure, you do. I do. But your kid is my kid, my kid is your kid. There used to be a day where the ugliness of it all was laid bare for the kids to discover on their own sans the algorithms and political psychosis.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 am

Why do we even need presidents?

I finally saw some mainstream “think piece” questioning borders. Took them long enough. One can only hope that the next frontier is the idea of a single monarch.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Karmamatterz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:11 am wrote:Teachers having sex with their students not a problem?

Karmamatterz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 am wrote:Sure, there might be some school districts where it has been an issue, but its such an extremely small minority that its inconsequential to the overall picture.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Karmamatterz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am wrote:

Long live totalitarianism. Is that your goal?

Wow dude. Are you aware in America we have this thing called the Constitution?

It's a thing you know?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

That's cool you seem to find religion evil, or are fearful of people who have relisgious belief systems. Okee dokee....just as your (if you were an American) beliefs would be protected theirs would as well.

Notice how I said nothing about banning religion? All I want is to keep it out of schools because it's a private matter. Teaching religious doctrine should be up to the parents and not done on the tax payer's bill.

I don't think religion is evil as such (because I think the concept of evil itself is a religious construct), but I do think it's a bad thing to teach children. It's authoritarian by nature and it discourages critical thinking.
There's also research indicating that children with religious upbringings are more judgmental than those without, and on a purely anecdotal level, the most fucked up kids I knew growing up were the ones with religious upbringings, and the most fucked up people I know today are the deeply religious.

And yes, I am actually afraid of religious people. Why? Because you have lunatics like ISIS blowing themselves up in the name of God, you have American evangelicals praying for all out war in the Middle East to facilitate the second coming of Jesus and you have fanatics like Mike Pence trying to control the lives of over half the population based on what an ancient book says.

Thankfully I walked away from the Catholic Church when I was 18, and joke I'm a recovering Catholic. But even though I have no interest in organized religion, that does NOT mean I get off on lambasting others for their religious beliefs. How fucking pathetic and immature. It also doesn't mean I would agree with them on what they believe, but they have that right.

I never said people don't have the right to believe what they want, and that includes me. It just so happens that I believe religion is superstition. Why do you get off on lambasting me for my lack of religious beliefs?

Teachers having sex with their students not a problem? It's hard to take anything you say serious. How would you like it if your son or daughter was molested by a teacher or coach? How would you like it if your teenage daughter who was a student athlete got medical care from a world renowned doctor at a well know university and during the exam he shoved his hand inside of her to get his jollies? You really don't think it's a problem for teachers to groom 13 and 14 year old boys and girls and seduce them followed by full sex acts?

Of course it's a problem when it happens, but my point was that it's not a widespread problem and irrelevant to bring up in an argument about public vs private schools. Do you think it would happen less often in private schools?

Why do you think schools are required to do background checks on teachers? Get your head out of some survey on Creationism and wake up to what parents are more concerned about.

That's the problem. So many people believe in creationism that many parents aren't concerned about it, because they believe it themselves.
Background checks on teachers is obviously needed. Of course predators should be kept far away from children, but again, whether the school is private or public is completely irrelevant to that issue.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 am

THE GOOD FIGHT
Donald Trump Just Asked Congress to End the Rule of Law

This should be the biggest headline of the speech.

By YASCHA MOUNK
JAN 30, 201811:23 PM

U.S. President Donald J. Trump claps along with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence (L) and Speaker of the House U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) (R) during the State of the Union address.
Trump is calling for an end to any semblance of independence for federal agencies.
Win McNamee/Getty Images
Donald Trump’s first State of the Union was a deeply dangerous speech.

It was deeply dangerous because he finally followed in the footsteps of European leaders like Hungarian President Viktor Orban who have long ago learned to give an attractive look to authoritarian populism.

Like them, Trump eschewed openly racist remarks in his speech, even emphasizing how much he (supposedly) cares about the fate of Latinos and black Americans. Like them, he called for economic policies, like paid family leave, that would actually benefit ordinary people. And like them, he then cast himself as the only man willing to prioritize the interests of his supporters over those of foreigners and political elites.

It was Bannonism without Bannon’s penchant for shock and awe. And it played shockingly well.

But Trump’s speech was also deeply dangerous for an even more important reason: Under the cover of his soothing rhetoric about unity and bipartisanship, Trump called on Congress to give him unprecedented and unquestionably antidemocratic powers: “Tonight,” he said, “I call on the congress to empower every Cabinet secretary with the authority to reward good workers—and to remove federal employees who undermine the public trust or fail the American people.”

By design, it is easy to overlook the true significance of the second half of that phrase. But dwell on it for a moment, and imagine what this would actually look like in practice. Under Trump’s proposal, any Cabinet secretary could decide that, say, a law enforcement official investigating the president had “undermined the public trust” or “failed the American people”—and fire him on the spot. In other words, Trump is calling for an end to any semblance of independence for the IRS, the FBI, the Department of Justice, or any other federal agency.

To be sure, such legislation is unlikely to pass. While the constant standing ovations for Trump from the Republican benches demonstrate the degree to which the GOP has now embraced the president, they are not yet at the point of dismantling the rule of law quite so brazenly; even if they did, the Supreme Court would be very likely to strike such a law down as unconstitutional.

But the fact that Trump’s authoritarian demand is unlikely to be realized anytime soon does not make it unimportant. In his first State of the Union, the 45th president of the United States asked Congress for the authority to end the rule of law. And that—not Trump’s supposedly unifying policy proposals, much less his supposedly presidential ability to read a speech off a teleprompter—should be the headline of every newspaper tomorrow.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... irc_recent
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby BenDhyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 pm

Trump's approval rating rises to 44 percent, new poll says

by Diana Stancy Correll | Feb 1, 2018, 8:16 PM

President Trump’s approval rating has increased to 44 percent – up 4 percent from last week, according a new poll.

Now, 55 percent of Americans say they disapprove of the job Trump is doing as president, a decline from 58 percent, results of the latest SurveyMonkey poll revealed.

The poll was conducted from Jan. 25-31 online, meaning Trump’s inaugural State of the Union address was only a factor for one day.

Trump’s overall approval rating has shifted between 40 and 44 percent over the course of the last month. In addition to this week, Trump also experienced a high mark in late December.

The boost in the most recent poll is due in part to a larger Republican sample, the survey said. An average of 27 percent of Republicans have been represented in polls over the past year, and 29 percent of the sample identified as Republican in this most recent poll.

Additionally, Trump is gaining more support among Republicans. Support for Trump among Republicans has remained consistently in the mid-to-high 80s the past year he has been president, but reached 89 percent in this poll for the first time.

Those who claim they “strongly approve” of Trump’s job as president also reached a record 26 percent. This number has hovered in the low-to-mid 20s from August through late December.

The SurveyMonkey poll was conducted with a national sample of 16,564 adults. The estimated margin of error is plus or minus 1 percentage points.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trumps-approval-rating-rises-to-44-percent-new-poll-says/article/2647895

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Survey Monkey! Conducted online!

"With Extra Crunch and Extra Republicans."(tm)

Big, big news. Thank you so much for posting it here, we might have missed it. That says something pretty definitive, for sure.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby BenDhyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 pm

^^^ Sorry, I didn't mean to trigger you.. :)

Here's another one if you are unhappy with the first...

Poll: Trump's Approval Rating at 42 Percent; Up 10 Points

Fifty percent disapprove of his job performance.

Overall, it is a marked improvement for Trump, who had a 32 percent approval rating last month, while 56 percent disapproved of his job performance.

Here is how the poll breaks down:

21 percent approve of the job Congress is doing, compared to 68 percent who disapprove.
45 percent of those polled would vote for the Republican candidate if congressional elections were held today, while 47 percent would support the Democratic candidate.
38 percent say Trump should be impeached, while 57 percent say he should not.
50 percent say they are optimistic about policies Trump will pursue in the next few years, while 45 percent say they are pessimistic.
44 percent say they approve of the tax reform plan passed by Congress, while 44 disapprove.
41 percent are confident in Trump's ability to deal with North Korea; 6 percent are not sure, but lean toward confident; 11 percent are not sure, but lean toward not confident and 40 percent are not confident.

The poll, conducted from Jan. 28-29, surveyed 806 adults. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/poll-donald-trump-approval-rating-increase/2018/01/31/id/840647/

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 am

Yup, definitive. Either you think you are posting to a bunch of morons, or _________.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:18 am

Telling that when there are real polls and real journalistic outfits reporting them that show a similar bump, one particular poster chooses to site Washintonexaminer.com and Newsmax instead.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby BenDhyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 am

Steady down Jackie, I have already explained I didn't mean to trigger you...
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby BenDhyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 am

mentalgongfu2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:18 pm wrote:Telling that when there are real polls and real journalistic outfits reporting them that show a similar bump, one particular poster chooses to site Washintonexaminer.com and Newsmax instead.

The polls were not done by the media outlets, most are reporting on the new poll by Monmouth University... :roll:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trumps-approval-rating-jumps-10-points-in-one-month/article/2647707

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/371635-monmouth-poll-trump-approval-rating-jumps-10-points

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5336181/Trump-gets-10-point-polling-bump-January.html
Ben D
BenDhyan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion