Security Theater ("Crisis Actors")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Security Theater ("Crisis Actors")

Postby 0_0 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:43 am

sure i get that jerky, and i'm def open to the possibility of this particular instance being a coincidence, but the coincidence goes a little further than like in your case just having an imdb page where you play a serial killer, a better analogy would be if you played a serial killer and then one year later you end up on our tv screens for allegedly actually being one (also, the fact that so many people dabble in acting now is kind of a double-edged argument with regards to the crisis actors idea, as you could also say that it shows that apparently faking reality is a booming business that is getting more and more popular/normalized with regular people like you and me)

anyway this is just one little example, i'll post some more general stuff next
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 pm

The "Alt-Right" Is Literally Killing People. What Will It Take to Stop Them?

By Kate Harveston, Occupy.com

The Crisis Actor Phenomena

Following every mass shooting, certain sites on the internet spring into action. Trolls frequenting the YouTube comment section begin positing stories about "green screens" and "crisis actors" -- people purportedly paid by the political left to simulate public crises, which would then allow them to push for certain legislation. America has a rich history of political suspicion and conspiracy theories, which tend to find more traction here than most countries.

In fact, the crisis actor phenomena has existed since the 19th century, appearing as far back as the post-Civil War era of Reconstruction. Fast forward to the age of the internet, which finds a corner for every opinion, and we see a port-of-call for alt-right conspirators attempting to validate their beliefs.

Suddenly, the shooter himself becomes a martyr -- a fall guy used by the left to push for gun control legislation -- and teenagers begging for the violence to stop are crying crocodile tears while the background scenery is depicted as nothing more than a stock animation. For many engulfed in the alt-right maelstrom, this represents their actual reality.

Read more: http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/4 ... -stop-them
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Alex Jones is a menace to society. I’m suing him.

Conspiracist sites such as Jones's Infowars distorted the truth about me and about Charlottesville.

By Brennan Gilmore March 14

From Infowars: “They had known CIA and State Department officials in Charlottesville, first tweeting, first being on MSNBC, CNN, NBC. The mayor is involved. Everybody is a cut-out.”

Also from Infowars: “One guy is paid 320 thousand a year on the payroll of Soros. He doesn’t just get money from Soros, he personally is paid 320 a year, and then he is there — CIA, State Department — and he is on the news.”

And from Gateway Pundit: “The random Charlottesville observer who was interviewed by MSNBC and liberal outlets turns out to be a deep state shill with links to George Soros. It looks like the State Department was involved in Charlottesville rioting and is trying to cover it up. But after Deep State got caught they are trying to erase this guy from their records.”

As I state in my suit, these statements are all aimed at me, meant to defame me and, in each case, contain disgusting fabrications.

After the conspiracy theories about me spread online, my family and I were subject to harassment, threats, hate mail and hacking attempts. Someone mailed an envelope containing a suspicious white powder residue and a four-page diatribe describing how I would burn in hell. I’ve been accosted on the street in Charlottesville and the harassment continues to this day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... suing-him/
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 am

Is there anything such as too dumb, too right wing for certain members of the true believers to accept?

The Right-Wing Attacks on Parkland Survivors Are Totally Unhinged

And also utterly predictable.

Mar 21 2018, 1:39am

Parkland survivors Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg.

In the immediate aftermath of the Florida school shooting earlier this month that claimed the lives of 17 innocent teenagers, I was struck with two very grim premonitions. First, that the NRA social media manager would take a nice long six-day weekend (sure enough, they stopped tweeting on February 14, the day of the shooting, and didn’t post until February 20), and second, that the conservative media machine would soon mobilize to do what even a few years ago seemed fairly unthinkable: outright attack the underaged survivors of the brutal massacre. To my disappointment (but not my surprise), that second one has also come Extremely True. It’s not that I’m Nostradamus or any shit like that, it's just that the conservative script for these things has become just that depressingly predictable.

Way back in 2012 when the Sandy Hook shootings happened, everything felt strangely similar yet very different. Having a president capable of demonstrating even a basic level of empathy went a long way, but outside of Alex Jones (who was a vastly more fringe character back then) and some anonymous online morons, there wasn’t much of an effort to malign the survivors of the shooting or their families. To be honest, after a year of the 2016 campaign and another year of the Trump presidency, that low-ass bar feels like some Andy Griffith–style nostalgia.

As has been covered on many occasions by writers more journalistically inclined than I, there is now a pretty well-trodden path from the online fringes of the far right directly to the cable news network our demented big boy in chief spends 60 percent of his waking hours watching. Hell, if the conspiracy theory about an antifa rebellion can make it to Fox & Friends, who’s to say what won’t break through? What starts as trolling and genuine dumbass credulity in the darkest corners of the web all too often makes this journey to the mainstream, and watching this occur in the weeks following the Parkland shooting has ended up being a pretty great, and terrible, case study.

While the first to jump on any “crisis actor/false flag/soros plants” sort of theory always ends up being a MAGA mondo-weirdo on Twitter, they are usually joined by fringe right-wing sites like realpatriotnewseagle2016.info or some URL like that. From there these theories make the leap to the right wing’s most beloved blue checkmark accounts, who lend them just enough air of legitimacy to be discussed by real people.

Last Friday, actor James Woods—who once sued an anonymous Twitter user for calling him a cocaine addict, and continued the suit after the user died—tweeted out a photo of teen activist and Parkland survivor David Hogg, comparing his anti–gun violence armband to that of the Nazi SS, and suggesting he don a brownshirt and jackboots to complete the look. Putting aside for a second that this is a child—one who saw 17 people gunned down mere weeks ago—the comparison is absurd on its face. But since nothing matters anymore and tribalism is our new law, the post did bigass numbers in the form of 14,000 retweets. And though Woods seems fringey, he's followed by lots of people, including Donald Trump, Jr.

Woods’s post is far from an aberration. Former CPAC keynote speaker and convicted campaign finance fraudster Dinesh D’Souza celebrated the failure of a Florida gun control bill with taunts like, “Adults 1, kids 0.” Last week, a Republican candidate for the Maine House of Representatives named Leslie Gibson said of Parkland survivor Emma Gonzalez, “There's nothing about this skinhead lesbian that impresses me and there is nothing to say unless you're frothing at the mouth moonbat.” The right-wing cartoonist Ben Garrison published a cartoon that smeared Hogg as a ventriloquist’s dummy controlled by CNN, which was in turn controlled by the “Deep State.”

Continues at: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43bd ... y-unhinged
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Alex Jones pushes conspiracy theory that David Hogg wasn’t at Stoneman Douglas when the school shooting happened

Jones also claimed Hogg wants “billions of people to die” and is involved in conspiracy to depopulate the earth

ALEX JONES (HOST): Now let’s go to the closet one, and there’s even more. I spent hours and hours. And I’m going to be honest with you, I got tears in my eyes. Because I started looking into Hogg even more after I saw [Infowars’ Paul Joseph Watson’s] article where he wants billions of people to die. And you have to understand something, my head exploded with understanding and chills like I’m getting right now because you understand George Soros is one of those 10 people that met at the Rockefeller Foundation meetings that ABC News, London Guardian (sic) reported, headline: Billionaires meet to discuss overpopulation. And they said at the end of the article we need a world government -- this is like seven years ago -- we need a world government to reduce population and it was George Soros, David Rockefeller, Ted Turner, Bill and Melinda Gates, George Soros. There it is. Wall Street Journal, “Billionaires try to shrink world population” -- 2009. So I guess, wow, that’s already eight, nine years ago, wow. And you can go read it. Secret meeting that got leaked. And then Hogg is funded by George Soros, a literal Nazi collaborator, the Women’s March is the main funder, he’s the main funder of that. And then Hogg wants depopulation. What do you think’s really going on here now, folks?

[...]

JONES: Listen, he says he’s -- you have to get the timeline because he’s saying on these videos the timeline, this is when it’s beginning in the closet. But when it’s beginning, he’s at his house and rides three miles on his bike. And then his story after that is, “No, I was always there when it began. In my class.”

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018 ... ned/219817
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:57 pm

A conspiracy theorist and fake news writer has launched a site smearing David Hogg

Mike Adams, a far-right blogger who has pushed fake news, is behind a new site smearing Parkland, FL, mass shooting survivor David Hogg and some of his fellow student survivors. The site pushes previously debunked hoaxes about Hogg, along with smearing him as a Nazi and a “fascist youth front man.”

The website Hogg Watch (hoggwatch.com) was registered on March 24 and is connected to naturalnews.com, which is run by Mike Adams. According to domain search service WHOIS, a site called Hogg Watch was registered on March 24. The site shares the Disqus shortname (a kind of ID for using the Disqus service) “naturalnews” with naturalnews.com, according to analytic tool Trendolizer. Gizmodo noted that Mike Adams is “the self-declared ‘Health Ranger’ behind questionably reliable pseudoscience site Natural News,” a site that has pushed fake news and conspiracy theories. The Washington Post has described Adams as being “on the furious far-right of American political discourse.” Hogg Watch also features multiple articles written by Adams.

Hogg Watch features multiple debunked hoaxes and smears about Hogg and other Parkland survivors. Hogg Watch has published multiple debunked smears and hoaxes attacking Hogg and other students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 kids were killed in a mass shooting in February. These include pieces:

falsely suggesting that Hogg was a crisis actor;

smearing Hogg as a “gun control fascist youth front man” who is an “anti-gun sociopath” and falsely claiming Hogg gave a “Nazi salute” and lauding efforts to compare Hogg to Adolf Hitler;

calling the March for Our Lives a “‘Hitler Youth’ student gun control march” whose participants were following “in the footsteps of Nazis who disarmed the Jews before the Holocaust”; and

pushing the false claim that Hogg may not have been at the shooting.

Snopes has regularly debunked both Natural News and Adams. Fact-checker Snopes has regularly debunked both Adams and Natural News for false claims, such as that an increase in Arctic and Greenland ice casts doubt on climate change and that cell phone radiation is causing brain damage that creates “snowflake” people. Adams also pushed conspiracy theories about the October 2017 Las Vegas, NV, mass shooting. Google had previously delisted the site from its search engine, and Adams blamed the CIA for it.

While guest-hosting Infowars, Adams claimed the March for Our Lives organizers could carry out a "false flag" shooting against child participants. In March, while guest-hosting a show for the conspiracy theory website Infowars, Adams suggested that March for Our Lives organizers would possibly carry out a "false flag" shooting against child participants. He also claimed that aborted babies are being flushed as sewage and used to fertilize crops.

Adams was recently booted from YouTube. Gizmodo noted that Adams’ YouTube channel had been banned “for violating YouTube's Community Guidelines.” Adams had pushed claims that mass shootings were often false flags, including that there was going to be a “massive false flag attack planned to stop Trump” in 2016. Adams has blamed the Southern Poverty Law Center for the YouTube ban and claimed it was in part due to him interviewing someone who denied the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School was real.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2 ... ogg/219819
American Dream

Postby Elvis » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 am

Ted Nugent doubles down on attack of Parkland survivor David Hogg – 'He is consumed with hate'

Ted Nugent’s pro-gun attack of the student survivors of the Parkland, Florida, shooting has taken on new life.

The conservative rocker, who began his attack of the teenagers over the weekend, doubled down on WABC’s Curtis + Cosby show Monday.

“(David Hogg) has been brainwashed, it's tragic," Nugent said. “I don't think the guy can be fixed. ... This guy is a lost cause. He is consumed with hate. He is part of the problem, not the solution.”

Nugent also said Hogg and the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students are “not very educated” and “wouldn't know an AR-15 from a pterodactyl.”

Ted Nugent says Parkland survivors are ‘mushy brained children'

On Feb. 14, 17 people were killed and 17 more were wounded when 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz entered the school and began shooting.

Hogg, as well as Emma Gonzalez, Cameron Kasky and their classmates, have emerged as powerful voices in the renewed movement for gun control.

The publicity has also come with attacks from the right, including Fox News host Laura Ingraham, who mocked Hogg for his college rejection letters.

Ingraham apologized amid a mass exodus of advertisers from her show, but Nugent defended her, calling her “a great person.”

The musician, who also serves on the NRA board, began the one-sided attack on The Joe Pags Show when he called out the student activists as “mushy brained children who have been fed lies.”

“They’re actually committing spiritual suicide because everything they recommend will cause more death and mayhem,” he said. “Guaranteed.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.3911341

What's really crazy is how he gets that tone from a Byrdland hollowbody!!! :starz:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby American Dream » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:09 am

I hesitate to post this but it is relevant:

Sheriff Says "Professional Instigators" Were At The Stephon Clark Vigil In Sacramento

Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones asserted Monday that there were professional, paid protesters at a Saturday night vigil for Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man killed by police in his grandmother's backyard.

"Unfortunately, in many protests that have developed to this scope, there are professional protesters and professional instigators that infiltrate the protest for their own purposes, as well as participants from out of the region that inflame and antagonize the event," Jones said at a news conference. "That is what happened here, which culminated in many vehicles being struck, objects being thrown, and fires being started.”

When Jones was asked if he had evidence that paid protesters attended the vigil, he replied, "We do have evidence, and we have seen it previously. You’ll notice the same cadre of protesters at every protest, sometimes in other states."

Black Lives Matter and other protests over police violence have long been dogged by conspiracy theories that protesters were paid to incite violence and discontent.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/blakemontgomer ... phon-clark
American Dream

Postby Jerky » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:19 am

What does all this "Crisis Actors" / False Flag stuff -- particularly as it manifests in what currently passes for conspiracy "culture" -- ultimately lead us to?

https://www.facebook.com/VICEselects/vi ... 652340193/

If someone knows how to embed a Facebook video, please do so with this, because it deserves to be here.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 am

Haven't looked at this content -- the 'alternative news' stories, etc -- around the Parkland event in any measure of detail yet.

That said, it appears Hogg's father is a recently retired FBI agent -- is that confirmed?

I presume it's understood already -- at least within these forum walls -- that tactics can be, and have been, employed to smear/discredit legit inquiries into events by sprinkling healthy doses of disinfo, sensationalism, and/or slightly-altered facts to encourage most to simply 'throw out the baby with the bathwater'.

Linking to Alex Jones (and related) pap falls right into this trap.

(For example: any 'article' utilizing, at face value, the intel agency-coined phrase "conspiracy theory" is suspect).

It's a misdirection.

There seems to be smoke here --- it'll take some solid gumshoe work to separate the wheat from the chaff (or parse the signal/noise ratio).

Let us not fall prey to lures.

...as Elvis points out at the top of the prior page of this very thread:

Elvis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm wrote:And why do we at RI need to know what David Brock's mediamatters says about what Alex Jones says?—besides its comedy value. In RI terms, it's grade school stuff. The diligent highlighting isn't worth the filler material quality. Are we third-graders here?
Belligerent Savant

Postby Jerky » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:32 am

Belligerent Savant » 04 Apr 2018 15:39 wrote:.

Haven't looked at this content -- the 'alternative news' stories, etc -- around the Parkland event in any measure of detail yet.

That said, it appears Hogg's father is a recently retired FBI agent -- is that confirmed?

I presume it's understood already -- at least within these forum walls -- that tactics can be, and have been, employed to smear/discredit legit inquiries into events by sprinkling healthy doses of disinfo, sensationalism, and/or slightly-altered facts to encourage most to simply 'throw out the baby with the bathwater'.

Linking to Alex Jones (and related) pap falls right into this trap.

(For example: any 'article' utilizing, at face value, the intel agency-coined phrase "conspiracy theory" is suspect).

It's a misdirection.

There seems to be smoke here --- it'll take some solid gumshoe work to separate the wheat from the chaff (or parse the signal/noise ratio).

Let us not fall prey to lures.

...as Elvis points out at the top of the prior page of this very thread:

Elvis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm wrote:And why do we at RI need to know what David Brock's mediamatters says about what Alex Jones says?—besides its comedy value. In RI terms, it's grade school stuff. The diligent highlighting isn't worth the filler material quality. Are we third-graders here?

Yes, Hogg's father is a former employee of the FBI. They haven't tried to hide that fact. What difference could that possibly make? What smoke are you referring to exactly? Because I've been watching all the same sources as you have, and I've seen zero legitimate smoke so far. Only the same old knee-jerk reflexive solipsistic semi-autistic over-active pattern recognition B.S that floods social media after EVERY big event.

I think you protest too much re: use of the word "conspiracy theory". It isn't always used as a pejorative, so I always take its use on a case by case basis. Many reputable conspiracy theorists use the term, and there's no shame in it, as often that really is what's happening - theorizing about potential conspiracies. We know that conspiracies exist - there are laws against them - so I don't think there exists any organized attempt to de facto dismiss a particular line of inquiry by calling it a "conspiracy theory".

And finally, Alex Jones is the most consequential and dangerous non-governmental public bigot since Father Coughlin. It's sad but true, but enough of us most definitely SHOULD be aware of what Alex Jones says.

J.
Jerky

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:27 am

I'll just offer a blanket "Disagree" to your missive -- I have no inclination/interest to go point by point on this. Not worth the energy, frankly.

Proceed as you do with your thoughts and wherever they may take you, I'll do likewise.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Jerky » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:32 am

Okay, well, let's no go "point by point", but please at least give me an example of the kind of "smoke" you were referring to. What have you seen that makes you doubt the mainstream narrative re: Parkland? Just one thing.

J.

Belligerent Savant » 06 Apr 2018 05:27 wrote:I'll just offer a blanket "Disagree" to your missive -- I have no inclination/interest to go point by point on this. Not worth the energy, frankly.

Proceed as you do with your thoughts and wherever they may take you, I'll do likewise.
Jerky

Postby Elvis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 am

Jerky wrote: I don't think there exists any organized attempt to de facto dismiss a particular line of inquiry by calling it a "conspiracy theory".

Seriously, you've got to be kidding. That is exactly what happened when the CIA tried to snuff out lines of inquiry into the JFK assassination by labeling it "conspiracy theory." In fact, that's how the term acquired its twisted "meaning." The MSM uses the term pejoritively all the time impart a air of discredit to "fringe" interpretations.

Secondly, any time FBI is involved in a matter like this, it's worth a second look.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Sounder » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 am

Jerky wrote:
I don't think there exists any organized attempt to de facto dismiss a particular line of inquiry by calling it a "conspiracy theory".

Seriously, you've got to be kidding. That is exactly what happened when the CIA tried to snuff out lines of inquiry into the JFK assassination by labeling it "conspiracy theory." In fact, that's how the term acquired its twisted "meaning." The MSM uses the term pejoritively all the time impart a air of discredit to "fringe" interpretations.

It's gems like this that should make us all happy that Jerky is Jerky.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion