Martin Shkreli should be executed on live TV

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Martin Shkreli should be executed on live TV

Postby justdrew » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 am

Martin Shkreli should be executed on live TV. It's time to send a message. Draw a line in the sand, yada yada...

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/pharma- ... -patients/

The former hedge funder who bought the rights to a lifesaving anti-toxoplasmosis drug, then jacked the price up 5,500 percent has executed this money-making maneuver before with a medicine for adults and children with kidney disease.

Jeremy Stahl at Slate.com wrote on Tuesday that when Martin Shkreli was the CEO of Retrophin — a pharmaceutical firm that is now suing him for $65 million — he bought the rights to a “decades-old” kidney medication in 2014 and raised the price to more than 20 times its original cost.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: Martin Shkreli should be executed on live TV

Postby Jerky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:37 am

Here here.

I second that emotion.,

J
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby zangtang » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:48 am

chop both his hands off.....see if anyone willing to feed him.

on edit & for panopticonic reasons feel forced to add that this is not a suggestion but
a joke in poor taste & any resemblance to inhuman vulturecunts living or more preferably dead is entirely
due to equinoctal limited-slip differential think that shoud do it.
zangtang

Postby Harvey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:04 am

What's really interesting from an anthropological point of view is that executing him live on TV seems far more plausible in our cultures than simply making such a practice illegal.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:54 am

The precedent of even thinking/fantasizing about this is not good. Liquidate his profits of any kind and redistribute. Let him go on with his life with next to nothing for being a psychopath.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:39 am

He dropped the price, but not to its original. This is all perfect capitalism, and up until a few days ago, what most people would have described as the ideal situation when arguing against Marxism. I'm sure many people still would prefer more of this.

I saw calls for legislation, but I asked how they expect to do that post-McCutcheon, post-Citizens United.

This was pure people power.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby vince » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 am

That kid....... he's just a little too 'on-the-nose' in the
douse-bag dept.
Are we being played?
We can ALL rally around 'hating' this guy!
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Searcher08 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:19 am

Who is Martin Shkreli?

I would let it play out.

I think his role is as a 'system educator' for those who can see his (unintentional) lessons about how money works in our society.

Years ago, I suggested that true privatization would require the tracking and ownership of resources down to the atomic level (so for example, being charged for the air that you breath will become perfectly possible).
If I am able to claim then tag molecules, why should someone who didnt labour and sweat and think to produce the tech, be allowed to steal my labour and breathe MY molecules??

One day soon, pioneers like Martyn and their AI partners may be metering each person's air supply.
Searcher08

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:43 am

Harvey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:04 am wrote:What's really interesting from an anthropological point of view is that executing him live on TV seems far more plausible in our cultures than simply making such a practice illegal.

I was going to post something moderator-esque about calling for the death of US citizens with actual legal teams, but that alone changed my mind.

Great thread so far.

Proceed.

Also, this is a non-trivial point:

vince » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:42 am wrote:That kid....... he's just a little too 'on-the-nose' in the
douse-bag dept.
Are we being played?
We can ALL rally around 'hating' this guy!
Wombaticus Rex

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Interesting that Shkreli is an e-sports player.

Unappetizing as he may be, this is selective outrage.

I have to say I disapprove of the thread title's dire urge to make a spectacle out of what couldn't help but teeter on the precipice of a death spiral.
tapitsbo

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

It was a big deal here because of his investment in Collect Records, which has a number of local bands on their roster. There was some talk online yesterday amongst some of the musicians of organizing an AIDS benefit show, but I don't know what will come of the label.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:42 pm

This guy really pushes my buttons. Just this morning in the shower I found myself daydreaming about having him kidnapped, subjected to great pain, telling him the pain will stop for a certain amount of money, and when the money shows up telling him sorry, the price just tripled. Then ramp up the pain even more. Videotape the whole thing and release it as a warning to other sociopathic "businessmen".

Fuck this guy. I seriously hopes somebody beats him to within an inch of his life.

And he's done it before:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... ebook-post
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby backtoiam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Maybe this signals path to the dropping of the other shoe. Hillary plans to take on big pharma. Says she plans to make sure people get the lifesaving medicine they need...

Hillary Clinton to battle drug companies with plan to limit prescription costs

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... dApp_Gmail

Former secretary of state highlights ‘outrageous price-gouging’
Biotech stocks sink even before Democrat details plan

With Americans paying among the highest costs for prescription drugs in the world, Hillary Clinton will take on major pharmaceutical companies under a new plan to tackle the rising costs of prescription drugs.

A bipartisan majority of Americans support a range of policy actions targeting the high cost of prescription drugs, according to an August Kaiser Health survey. Some 72% support allowing Americans to buy prescription drugs imported from Canada.

Even before Clinton’s plan was unveiled, it sent biotech stocks sliding, with the Nasdaq biotechnology index falling more than 4% after she tweeted that she would reveal it.

On Monday, the former secretary of state posted a link to a New York Times story about the staggering price increase of a life-saving drug after Turing Pharmaceuticals, a startup company owned by controversial former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli, acquired the decades-old drug and raised the cost from $13.50 to $750 per pill.
Clinton's promise on treatment prices hits pharma shares
Read more

“Price-gouging like this in the specialty drug market is outrageous,” the Democratic frontrunner tweeted.

Turing’s drug is part of a wider trend of small companies buying old, generic drugs and attaching extraordinary new price tags. After an outcry over an overnight price surge that increased the cost of a tuberculosis drug, Cycloserine, from $480 for a 30-day supply to $10,800, a nonprofit asked for the return of the rights to the drug on Monday.

Clinton is proposing a series of policy changes to make prescription drugs more affordable for Americans by capping monthly costs not covered by insurance for patients with serious or chronic health conditions while targeting big pharmaceutical companies in an effort to drive down costs.

The former secretary of state is due to officially outline the plan during a campaign stop in Iowa on Tuesday, as part of a series of events focused on Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law, which she regularly defends and has vowed to build upon.

According to a campaign official, Clinton’s multi-pronged plan would deny tax breaks for pharmaceutical companies that market medicines directly to consumers, a controversial and costly practice legal only in the US and New Zealand, according to the World Health Organization. Clinton said she would push companies to invest in research and development in exchange for federal subsidies.

To guard consumers against misleading ads, Clinton would establish a mandatory check by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ensure the information is clear and accurate.

Her proposal also aims to expand competition between brand-name pharma companies and generic drugmakers and speed up the availability of generic versions of specialty drugs. To do this, Clinton has proposed cutting the market exclusivity period – the period drugs can be on the market without competition from generic medication – by nearly half, including for “biologics”, specialty drugs for serious illnesses which are often the most expensive new treatments. Critics say the current 12-year exclusivity period creates monopolies for brand biopharmaceuticals, which delays cost savings sparked by marketplace competition.

Clinton would also prohibit “pay for delay” agreements, which allow major pharmaceutical companies to pay other drug companies to slow down production of cheaper versions of their most profitable drugs.
Hillary Clinton proposes $10bn plan to combat substance abuse 'epidemic'
Read more

For Americans with chronic or serious health conditions, health insurance plans would be required to cap prescription drug costs not paid for by insurance at $250. The campaign estimates that up to 1 million Americans could benefit from this change.

The plan would authorize Medicare to leverage its purchasing power to negotiate with prescription drug companies to reign in costs, as Clinton proposed during her 2008 campaign. It would also allow Americans to import cheaper drugs from Canada and other foreign countries.

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who is also seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, recently proposed a bill that would ease the financial burden of prescription drugs on elderly Americans by allowing Medicare, the national social health insurance program, to negotiate with the pharmaceutical companies to keep prices down. His bill would also allow consumers to import cheaper drugs from Canada.

Over the weekend, Sanders addressed the issue during a campaign stop with senior citizens in New Hampshire. And on Monday, he too responded to the Times story by firing off a letter to Turing Pharmaceuticals.

“Without fast access to this drug, used to treat a very serious parasitic infection, patients may experience organ failure, blindness or death,” Sanders wrote in a joint statement with Representative Elijah Cummings of Maryland, with whom he has been investigating generic drug price increases. “Americans should not have to live in fear that they will die or go bankrupt because they cannot afford to take the life-saving medication they need.”
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Hillary is saying that because, like 90% of what she's been saying for the past four months, Bernie Sanders said it 24 hours earlier and it got a huge response on social media.

Just look at her donor list, if anyone is in danger of taking her mouthparts seriously.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah just her usual pandering. "People are angry about what? Cool! Let me make a statement I plan to never follow through on!"
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Next

Return to General Discussion