What is a globalist? The working definition thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What is a globalist? The working definition thread

Postby DrEvil » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Sounder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 am wrote:A Globalist is an extreme racist that feeds on destroying any community voice and heritage so as to be able to asset strip any given patch on Earth.

All the race baiting is a dodge and cover for the Globalists own racism.

The kind of globalists you describe here don't give a rat's ass about anyone's color. It's easier and cheaper to extract resources from third world countries, which happen to be predominantly non-white, but they will gladly fuck over white people too if it makes them more money. They're already drooling over the possibilities arising from Brexit, as an example.

A more accurate label would be 'vulture capitalists' or 'greedy fuckers'.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chump » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:09 pm

chump

Postby American Dream » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Analyzing a terrorist's social media manifesto: the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter's posts on Gab

Bowers appears to accept the globalist-nationalist frame, two concepts that stormed into national circulation with the 2016 presidential campaign. The Trump campaign railed against “globalists” — a topic or “rolling narrative” prioritized by campaign manager Stephen K. Bannon when he helmed the far-right Breitbart News, which he described as “the platform for the alt-right.” Bannon’s Breitbart News played an essential role in mainstreaming the alt-right.

Historically, the term “globalist” was similar to “international banker” and was used by white supremacists and neo-Nazis to reference a conspiratorial Jewish cabal that controlled global finance and thus the world. That idea is derived from a notorious antisemitic forgery called the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion.” Bowers shared a variant of this in another meme depicting a cow, representing Americans, presented with two doors labeled “left” and “right.” Both lead to the same destination, an opening labeled “ZOG,” or Zionist Occupied Government. The meaning of the meme is that Americans are offered an illusion of choice in elections. The government is controlled by Jews.

The image was captioned “(((democracy)))” using the parentheses “echo” meme used to denote Jewish names, ideas and institutions, which was popularized in 2016 by the white nationalist hate group The Right Stuff. In a single meme, we can see how generations of racists contribute to a canon of antisemitism. Bowers was a prolific consumer of these antisemitic memes.

While Bowers clearly saw Trump as controlled by Jews, there is evidence that the Trump campaign helped break down a firewall that previously separated antisemitic themes from the mainstream. In one incident, Trump tweeted out an image of Hillary Clinton with a Star of David shape next to her that read “Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!” That earned praised from infamous neo-Nazi David Duke, who commented, “Nice to see Mr. Trump slipping some 'Red Pills' to the American people!” In another campaign event, Trump accused Clinton of meeting "in secret with international banks, to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global interest powers, her special interest friends, and her donors."

In the final advertisement of his campaign on the eve of the election, three prominent Jews including Hungarian financier George Soros, former chair of the Federal Reserve Janet Yellen, and chairman of Goldman Sachs, Lloyd Blankfein, were all depicted as shadowy “global special interests” who “control the levers of power in Washington.”
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:29 am

Globalist by now is

a) formerly, a questionable way of describing a segment of the capitalist ruling class, sometimes a.k.a. the "Davos set," who in the intraclass debates and machinations about the proper forms of capitalist development and enforcement (class war) prefer more institutionalized cooperation among transnational elites in the interests of capital accumulation, ostensibly against national controls; but also a term that does not necessarily need to evoke the ways it had been used in the past by anti-Semites and right-wing populists.

b) currently, a term successfully reappropriated and hijacked by anti-Semites and allied right-wing populists to evoke an international Jewish conspiracy against putatively national interests to those among their followers who understand the code, while maintaining a thin plausible deniability that they did not evoke such a trope that fools at least some of the people.

In short, globalists was debatably a word for describing a faction within the system that openly favored the "globalization" strategies adopted by G7 nations after 1989-91, but has been fucked up by the rise of the filth. In this it is not unlike the phrase deep state, which was always pointing at something important that exists but not necessarily covering it accurately. Deep state has currently been repurposed to mean only those parts of the regime-independent national security and empire management apparatus, institutional power elite in and out of government, and surrounding corporate/lobbying/contractor milieu and world of parapolitics that happen to currently oppose the Trump regime, whether for valid reasons or because he happens to hamper aspects of their own agendas. Thus, for example, Erik Prince, by any measure a figure in the deep state as previously defined for more than 20 years but now among the prime movers of the regime, is not labeled as "deep state," but John Brennan is.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:38 am

DrEvil » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:15 pm wrote:
Sounder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 am wrote:A Globalist is an extreme racist that feeds on destroying any community voice and heritage so as to be able to asset strip any given patch on Earth.

The kind of globalists you describe here don't give a rat's ass about anyone's color.

Who knows, I'd say. They probably do. Since seeing color and exploiting color are so useful, as you say:

It's easier and cheaper to extract resources from third world countries, which happen to be predominantly non-white,

exactly, and this now has the momentum of an organized tradition of 350-500 years, depending how we tell the story,

but they will gladly fuck over white people too if it makes them more money.

sure, and they do as a matter of course, but at the same time since they see color and know it's a factor in the world that affects their material interests they have reasons to see themselves as their "own" "color." Those raised in American ruling class families are more likely to have the kind of upbringing found in the Trump or Prince-De Vos households than in some imaginary Benneton catalogue household, although of course liberal families exist among them.

So not so easily separable.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Rabbi: Trump & GOP Have Blood on Their Hands for Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting & Hateful Violence

AMY GOODMAN: —also about what happened, this remarkable moment on Friday afternoon. Most aren’t paying attention, because the accused bomber, Cesar Sayoc, had been arrested, and so there was a lot of attention on this van that he was living in, that had all these targets on it and pro-Trump signs. He was at a Melbourne, Florida, Trump rally recently. But soon after that, President Trump was in the East Room with young black leaders, and he basically led a mini rally as he attacked globalists, and the young people, wearing MAGA hats—”Make America Great Again—chanted “Soros” and “Lock him up.” This was in the White House on Friday. I think it was Wednesday that Trump, in the middle of the night, tweeted, putting the word “bombs” in quotes and saying this is taking attention away from what we want to focus on—right?—the caravan, the threats, as he perceived them, of persecuted people coming up into this country.

RABBI ARI LEV FORNARI: Yeah. What we’re seeing is Trump coming further and further out and saying his true colors. We saw last week that he came out as a nationalist. And we know the word that comes before “nationalist.” It’s “white nationalist.” And we know the use of the term “globalist” is directly a long-standing attack on Jews. It’s an anti-Semitic slur that’s been used. And we’ve seen these same strategies in the strategies of media and manipulation that Hitler used in the Nazi Party to rise in Germany.

And so, I really hold Trump and the entire Republican Party, in their silence, complicit for these acts of violence and this murder. The blood is on their hands. It’s not just about getting guns out of dissemination. It’s actually about changing the discourse of who’s in power. This is not a side project. This actually is the project of this administration. And we need to be speaking out and saying, “Trump, you need to denounce white nationalism.” And we need to hold accountable all of our elected officials, and, frankly, we need to unseat them and change the face of who is in power in this country, because this violence is not happening in isolation. And as we are seeing, it’s escalating terribly. This past week has been devastating. And it’s an assault not just on our bodies, but on our souls. And one of the teachings that we have in our ethical tradition is that in a place where people are not acting human, we need to strive to be human. We need to stay connected to our humanity. We need to build this world from love.

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/10/29 ... e_blood_on
American Dream

Postby DrEvil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:45 pm

JackRiddler » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:38 pm wrote:
DrEvil » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:15 pm wrote:

The kind of globalists you describe here don't give a rat's ass about anyone's color.

Who knows, I'd say. They probably do. Since seeing color and exploiting color are so useful, as you say:

It's easier and cheaper to extract resources from third world countries, which happen to be predominantly non-white,

exactly, and this now has the momentum of an organized tradition of 350-500 years, depending how we tell the story,

but they will gladly fuck over white people too if it makes them more money.

sure, and they do as a matter of course, but at the same time since they see color and know it's a factor in the world that affects their material interests they have reasons to see themselves as their "own" "color." Those raised in American ruling class families are more likely to have the kind of upbringing found in the Trump or Prince-De Vos households than in some imaginary Benneton catalogue household, although of course liberal families exist among them.

So not so easily separable.

Good points, but I don't think they're any more racist than your average person, and I don't think they truly believe in the idea of globalization. To them it's just a handy tool to exploit for fun and profit that will be discarded the moment something better comes along.
If you replace "race" with "class" I think Sounder's original statement would have more merit.
DrEvil

Postby American Dream » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:19 am

https://leftyhooligan.wordpress.com/201 ... 8-mrr-426/

Coded conspiracism: “What’s Left?” November 2018, MRR #426

I don’t like words that hide the truth. I don’t like words that conceal reality. I don’t like euphemisms, or euphemistic language. And American English is loaded with euphemisms. Cause Americans have a lot of trouble dealing with reality. Americans have trouble facing the truth, so they invent the kind of a soft language to protect themselves from it, and it gets worse with every generation.

George Carlin, “Euphemisms”

Sometimes a globalist is just a globalist.

paraphrase of fake Sigmund Freud quote

I grew up in the 1950s, in a “more innocent time.” It was a time when people didn’t curse, not openly that is. When I hit my thumb with a hammer in shop class, instead of shouting “Jesus Fucking Christ!,” I was told to say “Jiminy Cricket!” I envied my Polish-born dad who could let loose a string of Polish expletives whenever he injured himself.

It was actually a more euphemistic time, when great pains were taken to soften and hide reality in the name of politeness and gentility. As the rest of the Carlin routine sadly if humorously illustrates, the WWI term “shell shock” had been transformed into the WWII term “battle fatigue” and was in the process of becoming “operational exhaustion” during the Korean War. I would witness its transmutation yet again into “post-traumatic stress disorder” during the Vietnam War.

Euphemisms substitute mild, indirect, or deliberately vague words for ones considered offensive, harsh, or too blunt for the listener’s own good and the audience’s sensibilities. We use plenty of them today, from passed away or departed for died, and correctional facility instead of jail, to differently-abled or handicapped instead of disabled, and ethnic cleansing for genocide. They’re not to be confused with code words, where a word or phrase has a very specific meaning to a very specific audience, while remaining innocuous to the uninitiated. Code words are used a lot in dog-whistle politics, a relatively new term where words and phrases that are intended to mean one thing to the general population are deliberately used to convey different, additional, or more specific meanings for targeted specific demographics. Terms like “family values” and “pro-family” are intended to be innocuous to the public while conveying homophobic and misogynistic meanings to those in the know. Code words also conceal reality.

In Ventura in the 1960s I knew the town character, a slightly lopsided silver-haired old man named Quince. Quince liked to attend civic events and city functions dressed in what appeared to be a WWII uniform, although upon closer examination he’d incorporated elements of WWI, Civil War, and even Revolutionary War uniforms into the mix. On Saturdays he hung out on the sidewalk in front of the post office with a card table of mostly John Birch Society literature. He was big into the perils of the International Communist Conspiracy, but among the literature was a booklet entitled “Banking and Currency and The Money Trust” by Charles A. Lindbergh.

I knew that Lindbergh had been the first to fly solo across the Atlantic in a single engine monoplane called The Spirit of St. Louis and was nicknamed Lucky Lindy. When Quince saw me thumbing through the small volume he sidled up to me and spoke in a low voice.

“Congressman Lindbergh was one of the first to warn against the cabal of international bankers such as Morgan, Rockefeller, and Rothschild who instituted the Federal Reserve System in 1913 giving them control of interest rates, the stock market, and the capacity to create money out of thin air. He called those international bankers the ‘Money Trust’ and denounced the Federal Reserve Bank’s control over the American republic’s economy, causing inflation, the continuous decline of the dollar, and skyrocketing national debt ever since.”

“Didn’t Congress and President Wilson create the Federal Reserve?” I asked, having been a precocious history buff in my adolescence.

“There were sinister powers behind the Federal Reserve Act.” Quince talked as if he were revealing a dangerous secret. “Lucky Lindy was a great American hero, but even he had to be circumspect about revealing the true evil force behind the greedy power grab by those international bankers.”

Quince glanced about, reached into his coat, and surreptitiously pulled out a plain covered pamphlet that read “The International Jew: The World’s Foremost Problem” by Henry Ford.

That was my first experience of a euphemism colliding with a code word. The modern conspiracy theory about who REALLY rules the world was ancient even back then, with the Illuminati, Freemasons, international bankers, New World Order, and alien shapeshifting lizards now prominent among the covert cliques identified as secretly running the world from behind the scenes. But conspiracy wingnuts purporting to expose those truly responsible for the clandestine system of global domination almost invariably circle back to their OG suspects, “the Jews.”

The promising anti-globalization movement of the 1990s and early 2000s was susceptible to rightwing antisemitic tendencies from its inception which then developed into “soft” antisemitic organizations like AdBusters. AdBusters went on to initiate the Occupy Wall Street movement which, while largely leftwing, attracted rightwing elements that blamed the Federal Reserve, international “banksters,” and the Jews for all that was wrong with the world. On the Right, the terms “international bankers” and “Zionists” have frequently gone beyond euphemism to become code words for Jews. The current use by Trump nationalists and their supporters of “globalists” and “cosmopolitan elites” to characterize their opponents employs code words that imply that the Jews are behind it all. Those on the Right who now rail against “cultural Marxism” never mention that their original Nazi trope blamed the Jews for being behind the evils of both Communism and capitalism. Again, the current meme of “cultural Marxism” goes beyond euphemism and even code words into “snarl words” that tar anyone with progressive politics as a secret Communist while implying that the Jews are covertly responsible for all the world’s ills.

Euphemisms are intended to soften the impact of difficult ideas. Code words disguise the meaning of those same problematic ideas for the general public while specifically targeting a select audience for incitement. Snarl words are derogatory terms that always attack and can never be used in neutral or positive ways. But what about words that hide something that is always kept in plain sight? Words that simultaneously conceal and reinforce concepts with which we are all too familiar?

“Capitalism” and “capitalist” are just such words. Nobody denies that capitalism and capitalists rule the world. There is no conspiracy, no clandestine cabal, no secret government bent on world domination. Capitalism is as natural as the air we breathe, according to capitalists, because humans are individualistic, selfish, and greedy by nature. Their “propensity to truck, barter, and exchange” is also part of human nature and gives rise to capitalism naturally. The ascendance of a powerful stratum of capitalists is also natural. If capitalism is the natural order of things, then capitalists gain power and rule naturally, rightfully due to merit and not by force or conspiracy.

Capitalists comprise a social class and constitute a ruling elite however, according to Marx. And capitalists go about their activities mostly in the open. They form associations openly, from the Chamber of Commerce and National Association of Manufacturers to the World Trade Organization and the International Monetary Fund. They make their plans openly—in the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times—with no conspiracy necessary. And they carry out their plans, create their organizations, and govern openly with the consent of the people who freely exercise their right to vote as citizens of a democracy. Conspiracies do occur. The secret US war in Laos and Cambodia, the Watergate break-in, and the Arthur Andersen-associated scandals in the 1970s were all conspiracies. But by and large, capitalism and capitalists operate in the open.

This is all to disguise that there is a capitalist ruling class; that capitalism functions through exploitation, appropriation, and outright violence; that in a democracy politicians are bought and paid for by the capitalist ruling class; that the state is the monopoly of the legitimate use of violence; and that “[t]he executive of the modern state is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.” Capitalists are the original globalists. The current talk about “nationalists” vs “globalists” is actually about the power struggle between two factions of capitalists for control within the international bourgeoisie. It’s all about misdirection, so I call such words sleight-of-hand words.

Capitalism as an economic system has been around for a little over 750 years and did not achieve global dominance until 1989-91. Hominids have been around for about six millions years, modern humans for around 300,000 years, human behavioral modernity for around 50,000 years, and human civilization for about 6,000 years. Most human societies prior to capitalism were communal, hunter/gatherer, and tribal. That’s another reason why capitalism is neither natural nor a product of human nature.
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:29 pm

DrEvil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 pm wrote:Good points, but I don't think they're any more racist than your average person, and I don't think they truly believe in the idea of globalization. To them it's just a handy tool to exploit for fun and profit that will be discarded the moment something better comes along.
If you replace "race" with "class" I think Sounder's original statement would have more merit.

I agree the owners and corporate management who push for "globalization" don't believe in it as such. That rhetoric been a cover for justifying and standardizing neoliberal orders around the world and for allowing corporate interests in future profits to trump governmental sovereignties. But if you say they are, on average, no more racist against the black and brown planetary majority than the average white American -- and I agree with that too -- then I think we may disagree about how racist that average is. Independently of ideology and prejudices, among white people the presence of non-white races has been associated with physical fear in a way that simple class has not been. This causes more reflexive reactions. White people also associate the presence of non-white races with an unspoken accusation. Most are quick to have the feeling they're being accused, that famous "white fragility" I go on about. That is also a very reflexive thing. Rich people are not actually smarter (in the sense of having learned a lot about the world out of sheer curiousity), they're going to act pretty much the same way.

JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Tapping into the unrealized futures of the past: QUINN SLOBODIAN with Pavlos Roufos

Quinn Slobodian’s recent book Globalists: The End of Empire and the Birth of Neoliberalism (Harvard University Press, 2018) is a brilliant exposition of the widely contested concept of “neoliberalism.” Slobodian situates the concept in its historical context, urging a reconsideration of the term on both those who reject its significance and those who continue to misuse it. I met Quinn in Berlin this July for a conversation concerning neoliberalism, its contemporary populist offshoots, and other current developments.

Pavlos Roufos (Rail): You have made the argument that the often-repeated narrative that pits contemporary populists against so-called “globalist neoliberals” is historically inaccurate. Right-wing populism is neither exploiting anti-immigration/anti-Islamist tendencies in order to hide its essentially neoliberal agenda (as some on the Left argue), nor is social conservatism at odds with neoliberal policy (as some “globalists” would claim). Perhaps to situate your position properly, it would make sense to start with your definition of “neoliberalism.”

Quinn Slobodian: The way I understand neoliberalism comes from the work of the people who called themselves neoliberal. The term itself was coined in 1938, by a group of economists, journalists, and politicians who gathered in Paris, people like Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, Wilhelm Röpke, Walter Lippmann, Louis Rougier, and others. They were looking at the Great Depression and asking themselves: how can capitalism survive despite its internal tendency to self-destruct? And they were quite clear that if you simply let capitalist interests govern by themselves, there will eventually be a counter-reaction and a mobilized population would overthrow capitalism. A fully unregulated and a fully untamed capitalism would lead to an opposition which would inevitably be communist or socialist. Thus, they realized that it was necessary to think anew about the state, in a way that would protect capitalism from the threat of overthrow by the masses. For capitalism to survive, they concluded, it needed a strong state.

This group of people assembled again after the Second World War to form the Mont Pèlerin Society. By following this group, you can see an evolving set of conversations which, from the 1930s to the 1990s, revolved around designing institutions that would constrain sovereign nation-states from doing things that were outside of the interest of the reproduction of the capitalist world economy. If you think about the way that nation-states were embedded in new institutions such as GATT (which became, in 1995, the WTO), the IMF, the European Union, you see that these were institutions with many purposes, but one of their most important ones was to prevent the subversion of capitalist exchange between nation-states.

The 1990s looked like an absolute triumph of the neoliberal project. Within a couple of years, you had the Eurozone, NAFTA, the WTO. After the end of the Cold War, it looked like a complete victory for a vision of capitalism which sees the free movement of goods and money as basic values that humans need to protect. And yet, at that very moment in the 1990s, when it looked like neoliberalism had defeated all its opponents and the supranational institutions to protect capitalism had been perfected, some of these neoliberals themselves (e.g. particular group of actors around the Mont Pèlerin Society, including a still living Hayek (he died in 1992), Ralph Harris, Pascal Salin, Antonio Martino, Roland Vaubel, Gerard Radnitzky, and others), started to worry that these very institutions were going to become a new means for taking socialism to the next level.

Rather than the hoped-for neoliberal Europe, Europe appeared to the neoliberals themselves as a “Social Europe,” under the leadership of Jacques Delors. There was a fear that the French would effectively take over. Instead of controlling social demands, the EU would start catering to social demands through transfers and structural funds etc. Thus, at that very moment, some key neoliberals started to say that these supranational institutions are not trustworthy guardians of the economic constitution and that we actually need to rethink the basis for protecting capitalism. In this context, the nation-state began to be seen as ultimately more trustworthy than something larger like the EU, the WTO, or NAFTA. So there was a return to the nation by so-called far right populist parties like the Austrian Freedom Party (FPÖ) and others.

Rail: To many, it is clear that there is a natural bond between neoliberalism and the state. In typical left-wing discourse, however, neoliberals are seen as against the state.

Slobodian: I don’t know why that is the case. One often hears this argument, made in a sophisticated or less sophisticated manner, namely that neoliberalism is “anti-statist.” But the best way to overcome this misconception is by reading anything written by actual neoliberals. And one will see then that it is explicitly a project about redesigning the state. It is finding, as one scholar put it, a “better shell” for capitalism. Hayek is often used as a prime example for this misconception, but if you look at his books, you will see that he wrote a book called The Constitution of Liberty (1960), which is concerned with designing a constitution for a new state, and the “Law, Legislation, Liberty” trilogy, which provides very clear guidelines on how to design a state, and so on.

The question is one of tweaking, fixing, and modifying what will be the best container for accommodating democracy, without however letting democracy overtake the prime directive, which is the survival of capitalism. From the point of view of the neoliberals, the 1990s represent a classic moment of a crisis of the state.

Rail: Would you trace the trajectory of the far right AfD (Alternative for Germany), which has experienced recent electoral success, along a similar path?

Slobodian: Indeed. Some of the neoliberals rediscovering the nation, including here in Germany, started to take a very public oppositional stance to the introduction of the Euro in the 1990s. The AfD began as an anti-Euro party. And that mobilization started already in the mid-1990s, when there were small splinter parties, including Bund freier Bürger for example, allied with economic professors, such as Joachim Starbatty (later a member of the Mont Pelerin Society), who lodged a constitutional complaint in Karlsruhe against the introduction of the Euro. There is the real sense among some neoliberals that Europe is the problem not the solution, that the Euro (the currency) is going to be taken over by left-leaning central bankers (from France in particular), and thus it won’t be a means of imposing austerity. So, there is a recovery of nationalism as a positive force.

The critique comes from the monetary perspective first, but in parallel you see the argument that for monetary sovereignty to work, you need a certain set of cultural qualities and virtues. And this is joined by the proposal that perhaps such virtues are only rooted in certain people, that Germans might not have a monopoly on these virtues, but certainly a strong inventory of such virtues as prudence, long-term thinking, and discipline. So a highly dubious cultural anthropology and psychology becomes a complement to the monetary policy perspective.

Having said that, though, one must add that the AfD announced a new program at the end of June 2018 in which they have explicitly distanced themselves from a lot of clearly neoliberal policies that were part of the previous program. Their current tactic is to focus even more on personalized attacks on the supposed criminality of migrants, call for accelerated deportation procedures while emphasizing the need for measures to support the social state. Whether this is a long-term position remains to be seen. Their continued calls for fiscal discipline and budget-cutting while also opposing new taxes suggests that, should they gain a measure of power, many of the “social” promises would be sacrificed. However, other right-wing nationalist parties with neoliberal roots (the Front National in France, for example) have transformed over time into more national “social” formations so this is not out of the question.

Rail: How would you explain this “cultural turn” that some economists took at the time?

Slobodian: In a sense, the newly nationally-minded neoliberals were following the trend of the time. Accelerated by the end of communism, you have the emergence of comparative economic systems as a field within economics. A lot of economists were asking what the necessary cultural conditions were for responsible activity within the market. Maybe the most famous of these is Douglass North, who won the Nobel Prize in economic sciences in 1993. He pioneered what was called the New institutional economics, which asked the question: why does capitalism seem to function better in some parts of the world than others, and in some periods of history rather than others? What were the secrets of economic success in Western Europe and later North America? Quite often these people were historians, so they went back to the Middle Ages and further to ask how institutions such as the rule of law, forms of contract and exchange have developed over the centuries. Their conclusions tended to be that institutions take a very long time to develop and it’s quite hard to “import” one way of organizing an economy into the Soviet Union or Botswana or wherever from one day to the next. This perspective fit well with a larger pessimism about development economics, a pessimism about the post-communist transition, and a return to the idea that economic changes must happen very slowly. It put the spotlight back on culture as the key to prosperity or poverty—some societies have the right culture, some do not. The neoliberal intellectuals who began to be skeptical about European integration and multilateral institutions like the WTO expressed the view that certain cultures may be more hardwired to follow economic rules and rationality than others. They turned the insights of New institutional economics to the political right to support the necessity of the nation and the futility of both foreign aid to the Global South and attempts to integrate cultures they saw as very different such as Northern and Southern Europe under the single currency of the Euro.

Rail: Would you use a similar approach to explain Trump or Brexit?

Slobodian: One can indeed make the argument I have made about the rise of the AfD or the FPÖ to locate the intellectual origins of Brexit. Margaret Thatcher gave a famous speech in Bruges in 1988, in which she said that “we have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed again at a European level with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels.” Immediately after that, Ralph Harris, who was the general director of the Institute of Economic Affairs [1957-1988] (the first neoliberal think tank), started the Bruges Group, which became the first Eurosceptic think tank. In turn, this spawned the Centre for the New Europe, based in Brussels. These were exclusively run by Mont Pèlerin Society neoliberals. And they feared exactly the same thing as those neoliberals who started these small Eurosceptic parties in the 1990s, namely that Europe was taking a wrong turn toward greater redistribution from richer to poorer countries, centralized control, and social transfers.

The first person to argue that the right to secession must be added to the Maastricht Treaty of the E.U. was James M. Buchanan, the Nobel Prize-winning economist from the US. Through the 1990s, neoliberals gathered around something called the European Constitutional Group here in Berlin which was consistently arguing for the same thing. By the late ‘90s, people in this group were in fact starting to say that the EU should dissolve—not only the Euro should go, but the European Union itself. It is hard to explain why they would think that it had been taken over by socialists, but that is what they believed. The Institute of Economic Affairs in London ran a lead editorial three months before Brexit claiming that “Hayek would have been a Brexiteer.” Nigel Farage of the UKIP was also involved with the Bruges Group, publishing a paper with them in 2001 condemning the “People’s Republic of Europe.” Today, the Bruges Group website boasts that it “spearheaded the intellectual battle to win a vote to leave the European Union.”

If you look at the explicit program of the Brexiteers, it was not economic isolationism, nor was it really economic nationalism. It was a turn away from the regulated European market back to a global market; this is what was meant with all the talk about global Britain.

Continues: https://brooklynrail.org/2018/11/field- ... los-Roufos
American Dream

Postby DrEvil » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:17 pm

JackRiddler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:29 pm wrote:
DrEvil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 pm wrote:Good points, but I don't think they're any more racist than your average person, and I don't think they truly believe in the idea of globalization. To them it's just a handy tool to exploit for fun and profit that will be discarded the moment something better comes along.

I agree the owners and corporate management who push for "globalization" don't believe in it as such. That rhetoric been a cover for justifying and standardizing neoliberal orders around the world and for allowing corporate interests in future profits to trump governmental sovereignties. But if you say they are, on average, no more racist against the black and brown planetary majority than the average white American -- and I agree with that too -- then I think we may disagree about how racist that average is. Independently of ideology and prejudices, among white people the presence of non-white races has been associated with physical fear in a way that simple class has not been. This causes more reflexive reactions. White people also associate the presence of non-white races with an unspoken accusation. Most are quick to have the feeling they're being accused, that famous "white fragility" I go on about. That is also a very reflexive thing. Rich people are not actually smarter (in the sense of having learned a lot about the world out of sheer curiousity), they're going to act pretty much the same way.

I think the average is pretty damn racist. Most white people have been conditioned for centuries to fear the "other" (if you dehumanize them it's so much easier to sleep at night knowing the things we've done, and continue to do, to them. People still buy smart phones even though it's common knowledge that the supply chain probably involves slave and/or child labor), and conscious and subconscious racism is widespread in the west. It's working wonders for various right wing populists today, and rich people are no more immune to that than anyone else. I just don't think that overt racism is a defining characteristic of rich people. They're too busy getting rich to care much about the color of the person they're screwing (sure, if the person they're screwing happen to be from a marginalized group then that makes it easier to screw them as they have less resources to fight back, but that's just a cost-benefit thing).
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:48 pm

American Dream » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 am wrote:https://leftyhooligan.wordpress.com/2018/11/01/coded-conspiracism-whats-left-november-2018-mrr-426/

Coded conspiracism: “What’s Left?” November 2018, MRR #426

The promising anti-globalization movement of the 1990s and early 2000s was susceptible to rightwing antisemitic tendencies from its inception which then developed into “soft” antisemitic organizations like AdBusters.

Baseless defamation. No source because there will be none. Shameful.

AdBusters went on to initiate the Occupy Wall Street movement which, while largely leftwing, attracted rightwing elements that blamed the Federal Reserve, international “banksters,” and the Jews for all that was wrong with the world.

Densely packed mixture of lie, exaggeration, bullshit, and fallacy, with more defamation. Not worth the unpacking and wouldn't do any good anyway. But I do wish to underline: Fuck the banksters, and of course banksters implying a sector that lives from extraction by fraud is a fine term if used sparingly.

A kind of alt-confusionism. Quite the contrast to Slobodian, by the way. One wonders how and for what reason he's made it through your strict ideological filters.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 pm

As is often the case, a specific complaint is made and you answer with irrelevant generalities and insinuations. It's fucked up.

I'm not interested in going through your link farm. That is not a serious response.

You copy-pasted a specific defamatory claim about Adbusters, with no basis given. Provide credible evidence in your own argument, or apologize for spreading poisonous claims as though you agree with them.

The article you posted free-associated this loose claim about Adbusters into an invalid, general smear of Occupy Wall Street. An apology doesn't work for the latter. It's just fallacious and false on its face. Feeding divide and destroy. This is an actual service to the fascists, unlike happening to use the perfectly serviceable word, banksters.

JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Firstly, none of us is required to defend every/any points of articles we may post at the command of random posters here.

If you can't even be bothered to read the Anti-Fascist News article and are suggesting that you are new to this critique, there is no point.

Save the homework assignments for people who are actually your students.
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion