Panama Papers

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Panama Papers

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:55 pm wrote:
82_28 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:35 am wrote:No. No Dexter references. Refer if you must. But keep that shit out of it.

Don´t tell me what I can´t do. And oh, you can take your fuck all horse dick Broncos and shove`em right up your ass.

Hahahaha! I'll tell you what the fuck I want. The reference was as to the graphic SLAD put up, chief. I bring up the Denver Post every morning. Admittedly I wanna see if the Donks are gonna trade for Kap. And yeah, no. Leave Dexter refs out of it. That show sucked. Why? Because I can't stand shit about serial killers and no member here should have to be compared to a rollicking humorous show about the killing of people after they have been suspended. But yeah, I'll say whatever I want. Thanks!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:46 pm

The post was for Wombat. And it was more a reference to Jack than Nordic. It was over your head, 82, which is not uncommon. Have another Coors Light, on me.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Laodicean

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Damn, I caught myself me very own stalker. Are you always a dick like this? I like shit to go over my head because it means there is something I have missed. While you're not as "prolific" here as me, don't worry, if I wanted to I would have your number any day of the week. Not as an insult, but I don't want that number. Let's lock it up, Mr. Rex. This is spiralling into sheer stupidity for absolutely no reason other than for some reason this is bringing out the lame in people.

Yeah, no. For the record, very little goes over my head. Thanks for the compliment though! Thanks again!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:27 pm

No need to lock this thread. You think far too much of me to stalk you, 82. If you knew anything at all about me, you know i am a lurker...like the vast majority of the audience that visits this site. And like most lurkers...we know a lot about you. Sooo...

:backtotopic:
Laodicean

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:29 pm

don't you guys know this is supposed to be all about me!

#feelingleftout
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:34 pm

SLAD :lovehearts:
Laodicean

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:27 pm wrote:No need to lock this thread. You think far too much of me to stalk you, 82. If you knew anything at all about me, you know i am a lurker...like the vast majority of the audience that visits this site. And like most lurkers...we know a lot about you. Sooo...

:backtotopic:

Whoosh goes the joke. Takes one to know one. Of course I don't think you're stalking me and even if you were, I'd invite your ass in for drinks and a BBQ.

Edit: I write from experience mostly and don't give a fuck about personal anecdotes from others, in the sense I enjoy hearing from others and will never judge. I'm not going to say anything about anyone here unless they say it first. But I made quite a few friends outta here because of my dumbass stories. It's just how I write and always have.
Last edited by 82_28 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82_28

Postby Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Be assured I would come with a 12 pack of your favorite beer to that BBQ, and wax poetic about PKD and the Panama Papers.
Laodicean

Postby Laodicean » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Well...fuck Dexter.

Laodicean

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Panama Papers: a massive document leak reveals a global web of corruption and tax avoidance
Updated by Matthew Yglesias on April 3, 2016, 9:30 p.m. ET @mattyglesias matt@vox.com

Mossack Fonseca is not a household name, but the Panamanian law firm has long been well-known to the global financial and political elite, and thanks to a massive 2.6-terabyte leak of its confidential papers to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists it's about to become much better known. A huge team of hundreds of journalists is poring over the documents they are calling the Panama Papers.

The firm's operations are diverse and international in scope, but they originate in a single specialty — helping foreigners set up Panamanian shell companies to hold financial assets while obscuring the identities of their real owners. Since its founding in 1977, it's expanded its interests outside of Panama to include more than 40 offices worldwide, helping a global client base work with shell companies not just in Panama but also the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, and other notorious tax havens around the world.

The documents provide details on some shocking acts of corruption in Russia, hint at scandalous goings-on in a range of developing nations, and may prompt a political crisis in Iceland.

But they also offer the most granular look ever at a banal reality that's long been hiding in plain sight. Even as the world's wealthiest and most powerful nations have engaged in increasingly complex and intensive efforts at international cooperation to smooth the wheels of global commerce, they have willfully chosen to allow the wealthiest members of Western society to shield their financial assets from taxation (and in many cases divorce or bankruptcy settlement) by taking advantage of shell companies and tax havens.

If Panama or the Cayman Islands were acting to undermine the integrity of the global pharmaceutical patent system, the United States would stop them. But the political elite of powerful Western nations have not acted to stop relatively puny Caribbean nations from undermining the integrity of the global tax system — largely because Western economic elites don't want them to.

What's a shell company? Why would someone want one?

Sometimes a person or a well-known company or institution wants to buy things or own assets in a way that obscures who the real buyer is.

The typical reason for this is a kind of routine corporate secrecy. Apple, for example, appears to have created a shell company called SixtyEight Research that journalists believe to be a front for its interest in building a car. Since Apple happens to be the most covered company on the planet, this hasn't been incredible effective — and when SixtyEight Research staff showed up at an auto industry conference, everybody noticed.

But in general, companies don't like to tip their hand to what they are doing, and the use of shell companies to undertake not-ready-for-public-announcement projects can be a useful tool.

Shell companies are often used for simple privacy reasons. Real estate transactions, for example, are generally a matter of public record. So an athlete, actor, or other celebrity who wants to buy a house without his name and address ending up in the papers might want to pay a lawyer to set up a shell company to do the purchasing.

Okay, but how about the shady stuff?

As is generally the case in life, secrecy can have illegitimate purposes as well. This is particularly true for shell companies set up in international centers of banking secrecy that offer a level of anonymity and obscurity that goes beyond simply making it hard to look up the real owner's name online.

Your soon-to-be-ex-wife cannot seize half of the money in an account that she and her lawyers don't know exists and can't prove that you own, for example. Nor can your creditors seize such an account in a bankruptcy proceeding. Nor can the government levy estate taxes on it when you die and pass it on to your kids. In all those circumstances, a Panamanian company that you secretly control and that holds stocks, bonds, and other financial assets on your behalf could be the ideal vehicle.

By the same token, if you have made a bunch of money illegally (taking bribes, trafficking drugs, etc.) you need to do something with the money that won't attract the attention of the authorities or the media. A secret offshore shell company is perfect. Not only does it help you avoid scrutiny in real time, but if you are found out its assets can't be taken from you if you have to flee the jurisdiction or even serve jail time.

But even though various criminal money-laundering schemes are the sexiest possible use of shell companies, the day-to-day tax dodging is what really pays the bills. As a manager of offshore bank accounts told me years ago, "People think of banking secrecy as all about terrorists and drug smugglers, but the truth is there are a lot of rich people who don't want to pay taxes." And the system persists because there are a lot of politicians in the West who don't particularly want to make them.

What do the Panama Papers show?

As you would imagine, there is quite a lot in the 2.6 terabytes. Here are a few of the highlights the team found, with links to the full stories where you can read the details:

Vladimir Putin's inner circle appears to control about $2 billion worth of offshore assets.
The prime minister of Iceland secretly owned the debt of failed Icelandic banks while he was involved in political negotiations over their fate.
The family of Pakistan's prime minister owns millions of dollars' worth of real estate via offshore accounts.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko pledged to sell his Ukrainian business interests during his campaign, but appears instead to have transferred them to an offshore company he controls.
The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists has a full profile of political figures and their relatives named in the Panama Papers for your reading pleasure.

But though political corruption is fun and newsy, the document dump also features a leaked memorandum from a Mossack Fonseca partner revealing the more boring truth that "[n]inety-five per cent of our work coincidentally consists in selling vehicles to avoid taxes."

How much money is there in offshore tax havens?

A big part of the idea, of course, is to make it hard for anyone to know for sure.

But Gabriel Zucman, an economics professor at UC Berkley, has made the most detailed study of the question for his book The Hidden Wealth of Nations, and estimates that it totals at least $7.6 trillion. That's upward of 8 percent of all the world's financial wealth, and it's growing fast. Zucman estimates that offshore wealth has surged about 25 percent over the past five years.

Much of that reflects "new money" from China and other developing nations whose citizens to an extent have legitimate fears about political stability and the rule of law.

But some of it is simple avarice. The name of Ian Cameron, the late father of British Prime Minister David Cameron, shows up in the Panama Papers, for example. Mossack Fonseca helped him set up his investment company Blairmore Holdings (named after his family's ancestral country estate) in the British Virgin Islands, where, marketing material assured investors, the company "will not be subject to United Kingdom corporation tax or income tax on its profits."

This particular kind of move is perfectly legal and doesn't even involve any secrecy. It is entirely typical for investment companies whose employees all work or reside in New York, London, or Connecticut to be domiciled for tax purposes in someplace like the Cayman Islands. Since these companies don't own much in the way of physical assets, they can be officially located anywhere in the world and naturally choose to locate in jurisdictions where they won't need to pay taxes.

Why doesn't anyone do anything about this?

To an extent, things have been done.

First the war on drugs and then, more recently, the war on terror led to meaningful political pressure on countries around the world to alter their banking practices so as to reduce global money laundering. More recently, the European Union has successfully pressured Switzerland to change its laws to make it easier for the EU to catch people engaged in criminal tax evasion.

But there's a big difference between tax evasion — illegally refusing to pay taxes you owe, and then taking advantage of secret accounts to try to hide the money and get away with it — and tax avoidance, which is hiring clever people to help you find and exploit legal loopholes to minimize your tax bill.

Incorporating your hedge fund in a country with no corporate income tax even though all your fund's employees and investors live in the United States is perfectly legal. So is, in most cases, setting up a Panamanian shell company to own and manage most of your family's fortune.

Tax avoidance is an inevitable feature of any tax system, but the reason this particular form of avoidance grows and grows without bounds is that powerful politicians in powerful countries have chosen to let it happen. As the global economy has become more and more deeply integrated, powerful countries have created economic "rules of the road" that foreign countries and multinational corporations must follow in order to gain lucrative market access.

Establishing some kind of minimum global standard of taxation of corporate and investment income hasn't been done, because it hasn't been a political priority. In the United States, in particular, the Republican Party fights quite hard for the view that high levels of taxation on rich people and investment income are economically ruinous, so there isn't the kind of institutional mobilization that exists around drug trafficking or possible terrorism financing.

The leak of the Panama Papers is significant in part because of the specific information the documents contain, but more broadly because they draw attention to what "everyone knows" and may put public pressure on the powers that be to do something about it.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby backtoiam » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:39 pm

sorry but i just couldn't giggle resist this no matter how much trouble i get in..... :wink

82 said
Of course I don't think you're stalking me and even if you were, I'd invite your ass in for drinks and a BBQ.

"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby semper occultus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:15 am

...seems mildly interesting that aside from an obvious target like Putin that one of the first victims lined up for a bucket load of bad publicity & destabilisation was the otherwise entirely obscure prime minister of Iceland...the country that gave the big F-You to the international banks during the meltdown....

( totally inane aside - whenever I see Mossack I immediatelty think Mossad )
semper occultus

Postby Sounder » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:38 am

Wombat wrote...
I will definitely concede that basic pattern recognition is a form of fundamentalist thinking, though.

Agreed, and thanks for making the point Jack.

Jack wrote….
(Putin)
That's the false flag on top of the iceberg, and that's all that the one-world-conspiracy types need to see to deny that the iceberg is there and mostly submerged. They don't want the iceberg.

Again, bad sentence structure. All icebergs are mostly submerged, and show us where anybody denied that the iceberg is there.
(my trash bag bit was a joke)
Who the fuck are you to declare that ‘they don’t want the iceberg’.

Get over yourself and go back to school.

You seem so confident in saying what and how others think, yet all done without addressing actual words that are written.

Here, have another shot at it.

Jack wrote...
So you are all sailing in frozen waters, and when you see an iceberg, you don't see it as the expression of how much is under the surface, but as a giant white plastic bag deployed by the Soros-Jews or whatever your imaginary construct impervious to detection is.

I could never put anyone on ignore, and surly not you Jack. You are a smart fellow whose views I respect and see a need for, even if I disagree at times and even in some ways fundamentally oppose. How is it that some folk have such thin skin, and what's it like to live with a red red rash all your life? Do folk not 'care' what their 'opponents' are thinking? (Wimps)

Yours is a good analogy except for what with global warming and plastics in the Ocean problems, it probably really is a plastic bag rather than an iceberg.

Also, Open Society, is not imaginary or impervious to detection. They are rather open in their objectives of destabilizing nations states.

They create dissatisfaction then they monetize that dissatisfaction. But it is not Soros-Jews as you repeatedly insist as if it's some necessary mnemonic marker, no it is more correctly labeled as being an expression of western exceptionalism.

(I tend to think that Monsanto and Big Pharma are more influential deep-state actors here with NED types assigned to do the PR.)
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:45 am

Panama Papers Expose Massive Global Corruption Scandal (TYT)
By contributors | Apr. 5, 2016 |

Cenk Uygur | (The Young Turks Video Report) | – –
“We’ve got a new bunch of leaked papers on some of the most prominent politicians and leaders worldwide. They are laundering money from out of their own countries into private bank accounts in offshore tax havens. Cenk Uygur, host of The Young Turks, breaks it down. . .
“The Panama Papers are an unprecedented leak of 11.5m files from the database of the world’s fourth biggest offshore law firm, Mossack Fonseca. The records were obtained from an anonymous source by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, which shared them with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). The ICIJ then shared them with a large network of international partners, including the Guardian and the BBC.
What do they reveal?
The documents show the myriad ways in which the rich can exploit secretive offshore tax regimes. Twelve national leaders are among 143 politicians, their families and close associates from around the world known to have been using offshore tax havens.
A $2bn trail leads all the way to Vladimir Putin. The Russian president’s best friend – a cellist called Sergei Roldugin – is at the centre of a scheme in which money from Russian state banks is hidden offshore. Some of it ends up in a ski resort where in 2013 Putin’s daughter Katerina got married.”

The Panama Papers and Middle East Leaders’ Secret Bank Accounts
By Juan Cole | Apr. 4, 2016 |

By Juan Cole | (Informed Comment) | – –
An anonymous source has handed over to a German newspaper massive amounts of data from the Panama-based, German-run law firm Mossack Fonseca. The firm specialized in providing clients with offshore accounts, which are typically used to avoid taxes or hide ill-gotten gains.
Given the enormous problem of corruption plaguing the Middle East, it will come as no surprise that the region features prominently in the new revelations. It remains to be seen whether they provoke unrest or are just quietly accepted as a fact of political life.
Initial reporting on the trove identified among the major political figures from the Middle East to possess such accounts were Alaa Mubarak (son of the deposed dictator), Ayad Allawi (former interim Iraqi prime minister under American occupation), Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif, and Saudi King Salman.
As I explained in my recent book,
The New Arabs: How the Millennial Generation is Changing the Middle East

the alleged corruption of Alaa and Gamal Mubarak, sons of Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak, was a frequent complaint of bloggers and critics in Egypt in the years leading up to the 2011 revolution. In its aftermath, investigators complained that although they suspected the Mubaraks of having squirreled away billions in ill-gotten gains, they were unable to track most of it down. Now we know why.
The Mubarak sons have been acquitted of most charges filed against them after the revolution, but still face trials over their alleged insider trading regarding state banks.
Given the lack of distinction in Saudi Arabia between state wealth and the personal fortune of the absolute monarch, it is no surprise if King Salman has a lot of money in secret bank accounts. You wonder if the revelation will have any repercussions inside the kingdom (certainly it is unlikely to be openly reported).
Likewise, hundreds of Israeli firms and stockholders were linked to these secret accounts. Again, it is not illegal to have an offshore account if one pays taxes on the money, but it is at least suspicious and worth looking into. Among Israelis who showed up with such an account was Dov Weisglass, former advisor to prime ministers Ariel Sharon and Ehud Olmert (the latter convicted of corruption). Of Weisglass I wrote in 2007,
“Of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, already growing last winter, Israeli adviser to the prime minister’s office Dov Weisglass joked, “It’s like an appointment with a dietician. The Palestinians will get a lot thinner, but won’t die.” Of course they will. Anything that makes the healthy thinner has the potential of killing the sick and the very young.”
Weisglass was involved in blockading Gaza, in which the Israeli military, in the creepiest way imaginable, actually figured how many calories Palestinians there would be allowed so as to keep them on the edge of starvation but not actually have them die.
It is incredible that Israeli officials are waging such a vicious campaign against the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement aimed at punishing Israel for its flouting of international law in the Occupied Territories, when Israel practices a deadly form of BDS against the Palestinians.
That Weisglass, a central figure in the blockade of children (half of Gaza’s residents are children), lives it up with a secret offshore Carribean account is why it is necessary to believe in hell. It is not like there is justice up here.

https://www.occrp.org/en/about-us

The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a not-for-profit, joint program of a number of regional non-profit investigative centers and for profit independent media stretching from Eastern Europe to Central Asia.
The Center for Investigative Reporting in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Rise Project Romania
RISE Project Moldova
Bivol in Bulgaria
The Center for Investigative Reporting and Krik.rs in Serbia
Novaya Gazeta in Russia
The Kyiv Post and Slidstvo.Info in Ukraine
HETQ (Armenian Investigative Journalists) in Armenia
re:Baltica in Latvia
Atlatszo.hu in Hungary
SCOOP-Macedonia
MANS in Montenegro (research partner)
Liberali and Studio Monitor and the Journalistic Data Processing Center in Georgia
Ceske Centrum Pro Investigativni Zurnalistiku in the Czech Republic
BIRN Kosovo
Meydan TV
Direkt36
15min.lt
A network of individual investigative journalists and media from Eastern Europe to Central Asia.
Partners in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East

The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Their funders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation
Open Society Foundation (Soros)

among many others. Do not expect a genuine expose of western capitalism. The dirty secrets of western corporations will remain unpublished.

They used primarily British, EU and Al Jazeera to put the info into the public sphere. This time around the NY Times and Washington Post were not used, nor were the LA Times, Miami Herald and most US mainstream. Mosts likely reason is that they wanted to stick with the so called alternatives like The Guardian and Al Jazeera while keeping the elitist Americans that are involved out of the US mainstream publics eye. Much better to hit the so called new underground and focus on the US stated enemies and Iceland who defied the world banking system. The list of 'journalists' above are the same group that rallied around the Kiev regime and ignored the atrocities committed against ethnic Russians by the Ukrainian Nazis on behalf of one George Soros, US AID and the Open Society Foundation.

Corporate Media Gatekeepers Protect Western 1% From Panama Leak - Craig Murray UK

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...m-panama-leak/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion