Why now? (Saudis and 9/11)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Why now? (Saudis and 9/11)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Some interesting responses to this I've read on Facebook:

Daniel Hopsicker (4/18 12:41pm): THE STORY OF 9/11 IS A STORY ABOUT SAUDIS IN FLORIDA

WE GET LETTERS

Someone writes: “But isn’t all of this Outside job stuff just going to benefit the Neo Cons? GlobalCorp? Did the Saudis put the (alleged) Hijackers in Rudy's flight school? Give them Govt Credit cards? Schedule identical Drills the morning of 911? Tell Cheney to run the stand down? Operate the cover up? I don’t see anything coming from this. Shot over the bow of the kingdom by Economic hitmen...”

I’ll give this a shot. My website’s down till later this week. Was hacked in January, so I’m switching hosts. Things happen. I’m not blaming the Illuminati.

Short answer: The pages are very important. The Saudis are the key. Identify and nail them and you'll also identify who they were doing business with/paying off in Florida.

What I saw in Florida: The Saudis were running it. They were everywhere. Tell me: who's got more money to pay bribes than Saudis? No one. Who’s taking bribes in America? Everyone. Everyone whose name you already know, and everyone whose name you don’t. It’s a corrupt country. Deal with it. It’s Rome in 200 AD.

In 1999, there were a handful of Arab flight students in SW Florida. In 2001 there were thousands. At a big AFB base in the Panhandle, a trainer told me, "It used to be Iranians. Now its all Saudis."

Were they there by themselves? Hell no. Did the CIA know? Hell yes. I asked an old hand, in a highly irate tone of voice, how could the CIA not have known blah-di-blah blah. His answer was mild. Why, I’m sure that they did know. He said, “It would have been impossible for them not to.”

Venice and the surrounding region was teeming with spooks. The Sheriff in nearby Charlotte County—where Atta lived for a time, though you won’t find that in the 9/11 Commission Report—told me that, because of the 40-year history of covert activity that he had seen run through Charlotte County, which he and everyone else in the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Department had been powerless to stop, he believed the CIA was responsible for 9/11.

Was one of the bigger shocks of my life. A Southern cracker Sheriff telling me he thought the CIA was responsible for 9/11.

And hey. Maybe he’s right. But I couldn’t go there. I might believe that. But I never had proof.

Despite that, I heard a lot, saw a lot, and learned a lot in Florida. For 18 month Venice Florida was the home base of the terrorist hijackers. It was the biggest 9/11 crime scene that wasn’t reduced to rubble. And I uncovered more evidence about the terrorist conspiracy's activities there than anyone, more than every other reporter in America... combined.

Because there were no reporters or investigators or researchers in Venice. Except me.

I drove 1000 miles in the dead of winter in a 15-year old car with a faulty heater to find and interview Mohamed Atta’s girlfriend. Nobody else knew he’d even had one. Except three tiny local newspapers in SW Florida. I posted the entire interview. On video.

I discovered the most important secret that’s come out so far about the 9/11 attack. The owner of the flight school that trained Mohamed Atta has his Learjet busted just three weeks after Atta arrived, carrying 43 lbs. of heroin.

Because of this, in 50 or 100 years, or maybe a thousand, depending on when the truth finally comes out, someone will be grateful that I did. That makes me feel good. I was, at least, useful.

One of the reasons being put forward to release the 28 pages involves testimony from Z. Moussaoui. In Welcome to TerrorLand I interviewed a cabbie who picked up Moussaoui in Venice, where no one else reports that he was. He'd been visiting some of the boys at an apartment in Venice. The cabdriver (there’s only two in Venice) had been to that address a dozen times, taking Arab men to the airport in Orlando.

The cabdriver's asked to help carry luggage to the cab. He says okay. Its a trunk, and it weighs almost more than two people can carry. That’s all he knew. Later I asked an ex-NSA agent what could weigh that much. He answered without pausing: “Gold.”

In a brief one-week trip to Southern California, I uncovered and exclusively reported evidence—with resources an assistant manager at McDonald’s would sneer at—about the man the Chairman of the Joint Congressional Intelligence Committee investigation into 9/11 called “the “best chance to uncover the Sept. 11 plot before it happened.”

The New York Times said, “Of all the people who had contact with the 19 men, perhaps no one found himself closer than Dr. Shaikh, 65, a gregarious retired educator who has lived for years in this working class suburb of San Diego.”

The paper reported, “Dr. Shaikh was quite proud of his positions of civic responsibility, particularly on a citizens review board at the police department.”

History Commons says: “Despite much scrutiny after 9/11, little information will emerge on Shaikh’s background or why he came to the FBI’s notice.”

Abdussattar Shaikh was identified in wire reports as “a retired professor of English at San Diego State,” and “Vice President for International Projects at American Commonwealth University.”

I discovered he was nothing of the kind. Every single detail in his biography was a lie:

He never taught at San Diego State; He has never been a Professor of English… anywhere; He has a phony PhD purchased from a bogus diploma mill run by people with U.S. military and intelligence connections; the “University” where he was “Vice President or International Projects” does not, in fact, exist.

Oh, and: Abdussattar Shaikh is not his real name. (His real name is “Abdussattar Chhipa.”)

So when someone sneeringly asks me a question about something or other concerning 9/11 containing the insinuation that he or she (almost always he) has divined the truth with a superior ability to avoid being a sucker that is otherwise nowhere in evidence, and gaps in logic big enough to fly a 767 through without leaving marks, my response is, really, no response.

The Pentagon has a 1600-man battalion that does nothing but psy-ops. And H.L. Mencken said: “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”

You can see the problem.

Larisa Alexandrovna Horton (4/18 11:36am): Okay everyone, sit down. The 28 page leaks are beginning. This is literally the most damning thing I have ever read in the MSM about the Saudi's role in the 9/11 attacks. Some key takeaways:

1. The cover-up of the Saudi government's role in the attacks is at the highest levels of our government (read that how you will). This is not a surprise. We have known that some very high people helped protect Saudi officials.

2. Case officers (CIA term for US spies) federal agents (FBI) and detectives (local police in San Diego and Fairfax) all say that the Saudi embassy in DC is directly implicated (read that to mean Prince Bandar and his direct employees). In addition, the Saudi consulate in LA is also implicated (HOLY SHIT).

3. The 28 pages provide proof that two of the 9/11 hijackers (San Diego cell) got official Saudi support (That is really strong language, so I am even more curious if this goes beyond Bayoumi).

4. The total transferred from Princess Haifa (Bandar's wife) to Mrs. Bayoumi (via a cut out) is roughly $130k which was then provided to the hijackers. If you recall, she allegedly wrote these checks to a third party via Riggs bank in 2k installments. The total was always cited as "tens of thousands." But this is new to me. That is quite a few checks to equal over a 100k!

6. According to the sources in this article, US counter-terrorism officials wanted to arrest several Saudi embassy employees, but the U.S attorney at the time said no (WTF?), instead, they had their visas revoked as a compromise. Which US attorney?

7. The FBI said that Prince Bandar should have been a prime suspect (HOLY SHIT, this is the first time I have seen this said so directly in the MSM).

8. The article directly implicates President Bush (without stating so) in protecting Bandar and various other Saudi's in the days after the 9/11 attacks:

"After he met on Sept. 13, 2001, with President Bush in the White House, where the two old family friends shared cigars on the Truman Balcony, the FBI evacuated dozens of Saudi officials from multiple cities, including at least one Osama bin Laden family member on the terror watch list...

What’s more, Rossini said the bureau was told no subpoenas could be served to produce evidence tying departing Saudi suspects to 9/11. The FBI, in turn, iced local investigations that led back to the Saudis."

Read the rest. We have known the Saudi government was involved to some extent. We have known that Bandar was likely involved in at least paying protection money to OBL. But this is the first time I am seeing the MSM state these things so directly. And the obvious implication is that the Bush administration knew Bandar was considered a suspect by the FBI, CIA, and local investigators, and not only did they disallow investigators to pursue the allegations, they literally obstructed evidence - allegedly. HOLY CRAP!

When you take into account that when the 9/11 families tried to sue the Saudi regime for the death of their loved ones, that it was James Baker who stepped into represent the Saudi government - the staggering implication is that US oil interests literally provided material support for terrorism against the US.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/17/how-us-cov ... le-in-911/

I need to go walk this off.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Grizzly » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:52 pm

http://www.moonofalabama.org/2006/03/ro ... #c15341248

Jonathan Bush and the $25 million fine for a "willful, systemic" violation of anti-money-laundering laws via the Riggs banks scandal. When you think Riggs bank think: Pinochet, the CIA, Saudis, 9/11...

Most articles about Riggs focus on the Pinochet accounts, but downplay the Saudi accounts -- and outright ignore the 9/11 connection. And of course, these articles almost never mention that Uncle Jonathan Bush was the top Riggs executive...

First the White House dragged out the release of the entire 800-page congressional report on 9/11. Then they redacted the key 28 pages about Saudi financing of the 9/11 attacks. What deeply damaging information is in these 28 pages?

...Do these 28 pages establish if Saudi Princess Al-Faisal, wife of longtime Bush family friend Prince Bandar, did in fact fund two of the hijackers? Do they reveal if those funds came from her Riggs Bank account where Bush's uncle Jonathan is a director? At this point, we can only guess. Interestingly, when the Saudi Embassy got wind of the FBI investigation into the Princess' finances, they sent over employees to review the checks issued from her bank account. Did Riggs officials help the Saudis scrub the records?

Do these 28 pages follow the money trail back from those same two hijackers -- Khalid al-Midhar and Nawaq al-Hazmi -- to Omar al-Bayoumi? Al-Bayoumi is the Saudi "student" who received $3000 per month from Hamid al-Rashid, a top official of the Saudi Civil Aviation authority, whose son is linked to Al Qaeda. Did al-Rashid develop the sophisticated plan for the hijackings in collaboration with Al Qaeda?

Also see: The Spook Bank..
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... _bank.html

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:05 pm

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 04x3789520

Exclusive: New Questions About Saudi Money—and Bandar

Eric Draper / The White House

The White House is monitoring a joint FBI-Treasury Department probe into wire transfers overseas by Saudi ambassador Prince Bandar bin Sultan, pictured with the president in August 2002
By Michael Isikoff
Investigative Correspondent
NewsweekApril 12 issue - A federal investigation into the bank accounts of the Saudi Embassy in Washington has identified more than $27 million in "suspicious" transactions—including hundreds of thousands of dollars paid to Muslim charities, and to clerics and Saudi students who are being scrutinized for possible links to terrorist activity, according to government documents obtained by NEWSWEEK. The probe also has uncovered large wire transfers overseas by the Saudi ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar bin Sultan. The transactions recently prompted the Saudi Embassy's longtime bank, the Riggs Bank of Washington, D.C., to drop the Saudis as a client after embassy officials were "unable to provide an explanation that was satisfying," says a source familiar with the discussions.

A Saudi spokesman strongly denied that any embassy funds were used to support terrorism and said Bandar chose to pull the embassy's accounts out of Riggs. The Saudis point out that an earlier FBI probe into embassy funds that were moved to alleged associates of the 9/11 hijackers has not led to any charges. The current probe, by the FBI and Treasury Department, is one of the most sensitive financial inquiries now being conducted by the government and is being closely monitored by the White House. The federal commission investigating 9/11 was also recently briefed on developments, sources say. U.S. officials stress that they have identified no evidence of any knowing Saudi aid to terrorist groups. But they express frustration at their inability to penetrate a number of large and seemingly irregular transactions. "There's a lot of money moving in a lot of directions—maybe not all that carefully," said one senior law-enforcement official. "Everyone wants to get to the bottom of it."
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4661093 /
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ent=safari

seemslikeadream Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Dec-30-05 01:41 PM
Original message
Despots, Deposits & Directors - Riggs Bank - Jonathan Bush

Just a reminder

BANKING
The Bush-Riggs Connection

The decision last week by federal regulators to fine Riggs Bank $25 million for a "willful, systemic" violation of anti-money-laundering laws is raising new questions about whether the Bush administration's ties to powerful moneyed interests is unduly influencing U.S. foreign and national security policy. Riggs Bank is headed by longtime Bush family friend Joe Allbritton, employs President Bush's uncle Jonathan as a top executive, and other executives have been financial donors to the Bush campaign. The bank is at the center of a controversy, according to the Wall Street Journal, for failing to monitor "tens of millions of dollars in cash withdrawals from accounts related to the Saudi Arabian and Equatorial Guinean embassy," including "suspicious incidents involving dozens of sequentially numbered cashier's checks and international drafts written by Saudi officials, including Saudi Ambassador Prince Bandar bin Sultan." Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) "said members of the bank's board of directors should be held to account for failing to exercise their watchdog role over Riggs's operations" and said refusal to follow money laundering laws "allows terrorists to funnel their blood money through the system."

CONNECTION – JONATHAN BUSH AND RIGGS: Jonathan Bush, President Bush's uncle, was appointed CEO of Riggs Bank's investment arm in May of 2000, just months after his nephew secured the nomination for the presidency. At the time of the appointment, Jonathan Bush had already become a major financial backer of his nephew, rising to "Bush Pioneer" status by raising more than $100,000 for his nephew in 2000. The move solidified the relationship between Jonathan Bush and Riggs, which was originally initiated in 1997 when, according to American Banker newsletter, Riggs paid Bush $5.5 million for his smaller investment firm. That transaction, according to the NYT, "deepened links to the Bushes." While Riggs denies any connection between Bush and the accounts being investigated in the money laundering probe, Riggs President Timothy Lex told the Washington Times in 1997 that "there's a blurring of distinctions between banks, mutual-fund families, broker dealers and everything else across the board."

CONNECTION - ALLBRITTON-BUSH LINK: Allbritton, who said during the federal probe that he was stepping down from Riggs's board, also was close to the Bush family. As the NYT reported, he (along with Riggs client Saudi Prince Bandar) was a financial backer of the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, with National Journal noting he contributed between $100,000 - $250,000 to the project. And there also appears to be a personal bond with the current President Bush: As the 2/15/01 WP noted, "When President Bush climbed out of his limousine on Inauguration Day at the corner of 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, he spotted Allbritton, waved and said, 'Hey Joe, how are you doing?'" That might have something to do with the fact that, according to the 11/7/2000 Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Allbritton-owned TV station KATV in Little Rock broke 39 years of precedent and publicly endorsed Bush in the 2000 presidential election. The station, which is the biggest in the state, proceeded to air its endorsement 10 times throughout Arkansas, and refused to give equal time to Democrats "who asked for the time to present an alternative to the station's endorsement."

http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp ... iJRJ8OVF...

Bank with close ties to Bush administration engulfed in scandal
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... board.ph...

Bank with close ties to Bush administration engulfed in scandal
By Joseph Kay
24 August 2004
The Justice Department announced on Friday that it is launching a criminal investigation into Riggs Bank. In recent months, the Washington-based bank has become engulfed in a scandal related to charges of money-laundering, corruption and terrorist financing.
Riggs, which touts itself as “the most important bank in the most important city in the world,” has been known for decades as the bank of the Washington elite, including politicians, foreign ambassadors and the wealthy. It has held presidential accounts stretching back to the time of the Civil War, and is a prominent fixture in the political and social establishment of the nation’s capital.
Or rather, it was a prominent fixture. In July, PNL Financial Services agreed to buy Riggs for $779 million. The sale will become final by early next year.
The bank’s prominent embassy and international operations will be shut down in an attempt to bury a scandal that has the potential of becoming much larger. That an institution like Riggs could so quickly disintegrate is an indication of the extent of the corruption that has overtaken American finance and government.
There are three separate activities for which Riggs has come under investigation: (1) its relationship with the Saudi royal family and the potential financing of two of the September 11 hijackers through an account owned by the wife of the Saudi ambassador; (2) its relationship with the corrupt and dictatorial regime of the oil-rich West African country of Equatorial Guinea; and (3) its banking business with the former military dictator of Chile, Augusto Pinochet.
The Saudi accounts

The public revelations concerning the bank’s relationship with Saudi Arabia came mainly through the publication of a Newsweek article on December 2, 2002 (“The Saudi Money Trail”). The news magazine reported that in January 2000, two of the hijackers who were on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon—Nawaf Alhazmi and Khalid Almihdhar—received monetary aid and other assistance from Omar al-Bayoumi.
Alhazmi and Almihdhar are at the center of suspicions of US government complicity in the 9/11 attacks—and for good reason. The CIA had identified the two as early as January 2000 as Al Qaeda operatives, and the Washington Post reported in June 2002 that the FBI also knew of the two from January of 2000. Yet they were allowed to enter the US and live openly in San Diego for 18 months prior to the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. Newsweek reported in September 2002 that the roommate of Alhazmi and Almihdhar in San Diego was an FBI informant!
According to the December 2002 Newsweek article on Riggs Bank, al-Bayoumi “apparently did work for Dallah Avco, an aviation-services company with extensive contracts with the Saudi Ministry of Defense and Aviation, headed by Prince Sultan, the father of the Saudi ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar. According to informed sources, some federal investigators suspect that al-Bayoumi could have been an advance man for the 9/11 hijackers, sent by Al Qaeda to assist the plot that ultimately claimed 3,000 lives.”
Al-Bayoumi may have been receiving assistance in his activities from sections of the Saudi royal family. The Newsweek article states: “About two months after al-Bayoumi began aiding Alhazmi and Almihdhar, Newsweek has learned, al-Bayoumi’s wife began receiving regular stipends, often monthly and usually around $2,000 and totaling tens of thousands of dollars. The money came in the form of cashier’s checks, purchased from Washington’s Riggs Bank by Princess Haifa bin Faisal, the daughter of the late King Faisal and wife of Prince Bandar, the Saudi envoy who is a prominent Washington figure and personal friend of the Bush family. The checks were sent to a woman named Majeda Ibrahin Dweikat, who in turn signed over many of them to al-Bayoumi’s wife...”
Dweikat’s husband, Osama Basnan, is reported to be a sympathizer of Al Qaeda and is known to have had friendly relations with the two hijackers, Alhazmi and Almihdhar.
Al-Bayoumi apparently came under suspicion shortly after the attacks of September 11. He was picked up by British intelligence, which found evidence that he had made two phone calls to diplomats at the Saudi Embassy in Washington. However, he was released and is reported to be in Saudi Arabia.
Further, according to Newsweek: “Osama Basnan showed up in Houston last April [2001] while Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah came to town with a vast entourage en route to President George W. Bush’s ranch. According to informed sources, Basnan met with a high Saudi prince who has responsibilities for intelligence matters and is known to bring suitcases full of cash into the United States.”
There are suspicions that Basnan may have been a member of Saudi intelligence, suggesting that Saudi intelligence was closely monitoring, if not aiding, the activity of the September 11 hijackers through its accounts at Riggs.
Newsweek noted that the FBI, as of December 2002, still had an investigation open into the transactions. In July 2003, the FBI accused Riggs Bank of failing to abide by anti-money-laundering (AML) regulations.
Prior to and after the attacks of September 11, it was not unusual for Saudi clients to transfers of millions of dollars in and out of the bank with no questions asked. This was in violation of AML regulations, which require the reporting of all transaction involving such large sums of money.
The bank was eventually fined $25 million in May 2004 for violating these regulations. However, the FBI has issued a statement saying it found no evidence of terrorist financing. The Bush administration has refused to release the intelligence behind the investigation, citing “national security concerns.”
Even after the FBI’s accusations in July 2003, the bank continued to allow massive cash transfers by the Saudi ambassador. Under pressure, the bank announced this past March that it was closing all Saudi accounts.
Equatorial Guinea and General Pinochet

On July 14, 2004, the Minority Staff of the US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, at the request of Democrat Carl Levin, the ranking minority member of the subcommittee, issued a report that dealt mainly with the bank’s accounts for Equatorial Guinea and Augusto Pinochet.
The report found that “the evidence reviewed by the Subcommittee staff establishes that, since at least 1997, Riggs has disregarded its anti-money laundering (AML) obligations, maintained a dysfunctional AML program despite frequent warnings from OCC [Office of the Comptroller of the Currency] regulators, and allowed or, at times, actively facilitated suspicious financial activity.” The OCC, a branch of the Treasury Department, is responsible for regulating nationally chartered banks.
Equatorial Guinea was Riggs’ largest client. It held over 60 accounts at the bank, with varied holdings of $300-700 million. Its ruler, Teodoro Obian Nguema Mbasogo, came to power in a military coup in 1979 and is infamous for his corruption and brutality. Relations with the United States became strained in the mid-1990s, when the Clinton administration broke off diplomatic ties. However, these were restored by the Bush administration in 2003. The country holds interest for the United States because of its large oil reserves.
Riggs appears to have held both Equatorial Guinea government treasury accounts and the personal accounts of Obiang, his family members, and ministers in his government.
According to the subcommittee report, Riggs “serviced the EG [Equatorial Guinean] accounts with little or no attention to the bank’s anti-money laundering obligations...” For example, “Riggs opened multiple personal accounts for the President of Equatorial Guinea, his wife, and other relatives; helped establish shell offshore corporations for the EG President and his sons; and over a three-year period, from 2000 to 2002, facilitated nearly $13 million in cash deposits into Riggs accounts controlled by the EG President and his wife.”
Riggs also opened an account that received large sums of money from oil companies that did business with Equatorial Guinea, including Exxon Mobil, Amerada Hess, Marathon Oil and ChevronTexaco. Riggs allowed the wire transfer of over $35 million from the account to two unknown companies. “The Subcommittee has reason to believe that at least one of these recipient companies is controlled in whole or in part by the EG President.”
Riggs appears to have acted as a conduit for large-scale bribes or other corrupt machinations between the giant oil corporations and the dictator of a country with which they were eager to do business. The report also noted that these oil companies made a number of large payments (sometimes valued at over $1 million) to individual officials or family members for a variety of services.
The manager of Riggs’ accounts for Equatorial Guinea was Simon P. Kareri, who was eventually fired by the bank in January 2004. According to a bank employee, on more than one occasion Kareri visited the Equatorial Guinean embassy and returned with a suitcase full of $3 million in cash, which was deposited in the bank with no reports to financial regulators.
According to the subcommittee report, “The bank leadership permitted [Kareri] ...to become closely involved with EG officials and business activities, including advising the EG government on financial matters and becoming the sole signatory on an EG account holding substantial funds. The bank exercised such lax oversight of the account manager’s activities that, among other misconduct, the account manager was able to wire transfer more than $1 million from the EG oil account at Riggs to another bank for an account opened in the name of Jadini Holdings, an offshore corporation controlled by the account manager’s wife.”
In addition to its dealings with the Saudi royal family and Equatorial Guinea’s dictator, Riggs had a close relationship with the former dictator of Chile, Augusto Pinochet. Pinochet held numerous active accounts at Riggs between 1994 and 2002, even while he was under house arrest in Britain and his assets were supposedly frozen.
According to the subcommittee report, “The aggregate deposits in the Pinochet accounts at Riggs ranged from $4 to $8 million at a time.... Riggs account managers took actions consistent with helping Mr. Pinochet to evade legal proceedings seeking to discover and attach his bank accounts.... Riggs opened multiple accounts and accepted millions of dollars in deposits from Mr. Pinochet with no serious inquiry into questions regarding the source of his wealth; helped him set up offshore shell corporations and open accounts in the names of those corporations to disguise his control of the accounts; altered the names of his personal accounts to disguise their ownership; transferred $1.6 million from London to the United States while Mr. Pinochet was in detention and the subject of a court order to attach his bank accounts; conducted transactions through Riggs’ own accounts to hide Mr. Pinochet’s involvement in some cash transactions; and delivered over $1.9 million in cashiers checks to Mr. Pinochet in Chile to enable him to obtain substantial cash payments from banks in that country.”
The scope of the corruption, money-laundering and other suspicious activities is indeed astonishing. While it was engaged in these activities, the bank operated under the not-so-watchful eye of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. In spite of clear indications of regulatory violations at least as early as 1997, the OCC took no actions.
Particularly closely involved with the OCC’s investigation into the Pinochet accounts was the comptroller’s examiner-in-charge, R. Ashley Lee, who worked at the OCC from 1998 to October 2002. According to the subcommittee report, “In 2001, [Lee]...advised more senior OCC personnel against taking a formal enforcement action against Riggs, because the bank had promised to correct identified AML deficiencies. In 2002, he ordered examiners not to include a memorandum or work papers on the Pinochet examination to the OCC’s electronic database.”
Lee went to work for Riggs two weeks later, quickly becoming an executive vice president and the chief risk officer. The subcommittee report states: “During his next 18-months at the bank, he attended a number of meetings with OCC personnel related to Riggs’ AML problems,” despite regulations prohibiting former OCC employees from attending meetings on OCC-related maters.
Ties to the Bush family

The revelations of the activities at Riggs Bank demonstrate how commonplace and extensive criminal activity has become within the American financial and political establishment. Not coincidentally, the bank’s activity has a great deal in common with certain features prominent in the Bush administration: the heavy influence of oil interests, the close ties with the Saudi ruling elite, the funding and support given to dictators and former dictators, including General Pinochet.
The relationship of Riggs to the Bush administration is more than tangential. Riggs owns a money management firm, J. Bush & Co., operated by Jonathan Bush, the brother of George H.W. Bush and the current president’s uncle.
Jonathan Bush played a very important role in helping find investors for the various failed oil businesses that George W. Bush ran before he began his career in politics. Jonathan Bush also helped raise money for George H.W. Bush and is a former chair of the New York Republican State Finance Committee. In 2000, he was briefly named president and CEO of Riggs Investment Management Company (RIMCO), a wholly owned subsidiary of Riggs Bank.
While Jonathan Bush appears not to have been directly involved in the Saudi, Pinochet or Equatorial Guinean accounts, his position at Riggs is an indication of the close ties between the bank and the Bush family.
Moreover, Riggs is owned by the Allbritton family, a Texas family with close ties to the Republican establishment. Joe Allbritton, the former head of Riggs who bought the bank in the mid-1970s, is a friend of the Bush family. His son, Robert Allbritton, is the current chairman and CEO.
The Allbritton family is known among the Washington elite for the party it traditionally holds after the annual Alfalfa Club dinner, hosted to mark the birthday of Robert E. Lee, the southern general in the Civil War. The New York Times (“A Washington Bank, A Global Mess,” April 11, 2004) notes, “The Alfalfa roster includes presidents, politicians, diplomats and business impresarios, all bound together by being either formidably influential or fabulously rich. Attendees have included luminaries like Prince Bandar bin Sultan, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States; Jack Valenti, the president of the Motion Picture Association of America; and others with surnames like Greenspan, Kissinger and Rehnquist. President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney made their first joint public appearance after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks at the Alfalfa gathering in 2002.”
Valenti, who, like Allbritton and Bush, is a former Texas businessman, is also on the board of directors of Riggs Bank.
A television station also owned by Allbritton was in the news earlier this year after it refused to air an ad critical of the Bush administration’s policy in Iraq.
Perhaps even more than the Enron scandal, the Riggs scandal is a deeply political scandal. No doubt, much of what went on at Riggs remains to be uncovered. With the announced sale of Riggs to PNL, which will be completed by early next year, the owners of the bank are clearly attempting to contain the scandal’s fallout.

NEW details of Thatcher coup plot: London Evening Standard

SEC probes Marathon Oil payments in Equitorial Guinea (and HQ burns down)

Du Toit admits meeting Thatcher

Terrorist Stocks?

'Petroleum lures dogs of war to Africa'

BBC News: Thatcher charged

Margaret Thatcher's Son Released on Coup Plot Charges (Update2

Exiled leader in Spain denies any link to coup attempt

Scorpions say have more info on Equatorial Guinea coup

Financiers conspired to overthrow oil-flush African government

Mark Thatcher: The money trail

Thatcher case twist as list of alleged coup backers vanishes

Thatcher: Spain 'secretly backed coup by sending warships'

WaPo: Allbritton Loses Riggs Bank (front page, day 3)

E Guinea 'coup plot' verdict due + update/result

I feel like a corpse in a river, says Mark Thatcher as he faces court...

Thatcher to face coup questions

Phone links Thatcher to alleged plot

There was no coup plot, says Du Toit

Thatcher to ask Britain to help halt extradition

Thatcher charged over coup plot

Thatcher to be tried in absentia

Britain knew in advance of Equatorial Guinea coup plot: report

Tories Demand Answers on 'Coup Plot'

Mandelson faces questioning over 'link' to coup plot

Legal Woes Cut Into Bottom Line at Riggs

seemslikeadream Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Tue Nov-09-04 11:18 PM
Original message
Legal Woes Cut Into Bottom Line at Riggs

Embassy Banking Proves Costly

By Terence O'Hara
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 10, 2004; Page E01

Riggs National Corp. said yesterday that it lost $10 million in the third quarter, largely the result of $13 million in fees for a small army of lawyers and consultants to help it navigate a growing list of criminal, regulatory and civil matters related to its past dealings with former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, the government of Equatorial Guinea and Saudi Arabian diplomats.

The company also disclosed that a Spanish judge, who has been seeking to prosecute Pinochet and extract reparations for the torture and death of Spanish citizens under his rule, has added Joe L. Allbritton, former chairman and chief executive of Riggs, to the complaint as well as his son, Robert, who replaced his father at chairman and chief executive in 2001.

Also named are Riggs board member Steven B. Pfeiffer, managing partner with Fulbright & Jaworski and one of the architects of Riggs's international business, and Carol Thompson, a former account manager at Riggs who handled Pinochet's accounts. A Senate subcommittee in July said Riggs had handled a balance of between $4 million and $8 million for Pinochet over an eight-year period ending in 2002.

According to Riggs's disclosure statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday, Judge Baltasar Garzon is seeking damages from the Riggs executives and directors for allegedly concealing Pinochet's assets. Garzon indicted Pinochet in 1996 for crimes against humanity, including genocide, torture and terrorism, and has been trying to seize his assets and bring him to trial ever since. In the fullest accounting yet of the legal entanglements that could complicate its pending merger with PNC Financial Services Group, Riggs also acknowledged that it is the subject of a criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice. Riggs said Justice subpoenaed information about Riggs Bank's dealings with Pinochet, the government of Equatorial Guinea and its overall compliance with money-laundering laws.

more
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 38165-20...

seemslikeadream Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Nov-10-04 01:20 AM
Response to Original message
2. Riggs National subject of investigation
Riggs National subject of investigation

November 9, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Riggs National Corp., the parent of Riggs Bank, disclosed Tuesday that both the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice are conducting an investigation into the bank holding company.

Based on a subpoena issued in the matter, Riggs said it believes the probe involves accounts at the bank associated with former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, accounts associated with Equatorial Guinea, compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering rules, as well as "actions of various former and current employees of the company."

Also Tuesday, Riggs said it lost $10 million in the third quarter as its costs for legal and other investigative efforts increased. The Washington-based bank said it spent $20.3 million related to the probes in the quarter. Riggs earned $139,000 in the same period last year.

In a quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Riggs said it has been attempting to cooperate with the investigation, and has provided documents and materials in connection with the probe.

Among other scrutiny involving the Washington-based company, investigators have disclosed that Riggs helped Pinochet hide millions of dollars in assets from international prosecutors and U.S. regulators.
more
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2004/11/09/rigg ...

Mugabe flies to Equatorial Guinea (coup plot latest)

Despots, Deposits & Directors - Riggs Bank

SABC asks to broadcast Thatcher court case

Spain calls on EU to warn Equatorial Guinea - Riggs Bank

Raids 'break up' £20m theft gang

Thatcher coup plot: Mandelson, CIA & State Department named

Archer 'link to coup plot'

Britain accused of failing to investigate Africa coup

Pentagon link to Guinea coup plot
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 pm

I posted this at DU Wed Aug-25-04......not one reply.......

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RmsC1ch29mAJ:www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php%3Faz%3Dview_all%26address%3D102x775943+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari
seemslikeadream Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Aug-25-04 11:39 AM
Original message
Terrorist Stocks?

Business In The Beltway
Terrorist Stocks?
Matthew Swibel, 08.25.04, 11:05 AM ET

WASHINGTON - The biggest public pension funds in the U.S., having wrestled with everything from apartheid to tobacco to corporate governance, have a new issue to worry over: Should they invest in companies that do business in countries that support terrorism or with companies that facilitate terrorist activities?

This isn't just academic. Washington, D.C.-based Riggs National ( nasdaq RIGS) , for example, recently paid a $25 million civil money-laundering penalty for its failure over at least the last two years to monitor suspect financial transfers through Saudi and Equatorial Guinean accounts at its Riggs Bank.

Riggs executives might face even harsher sanctions depending on the course of a U.S.

Justice Department-led investigation of accounts connected to former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. What if the Pinochet accounts were involved with abetting terrorist activities? Pinochet was indicted in 1998 on an international warrant for torture, genocide and terrorism.

Riggs is set to be acquired by PNC Financial Services (nyse: PNC - news - people ), but this issue isn't going away for the banks. Earlier this summer in hearings, Banking Committee chairman Sen. Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.) said: "There is very deep concern here in the Congress about the effectiveness of the war on terrorist financing."
more
http://www.forbes.com/personalfinance/s ... s/2004/0...

BAE faces criminal inquiry in US over £1bn payments to Saudi's Prince Bandar

http://www.guardian.co.uk/baefiles/stor ... 58,00.html

BAE faces criminal inquiry in US over £1bn payments

Justice department alarmed at claims over MoD's role

David Leigh and Rob Evans
Thursday June 14, 2007
The Guardian

The US department of justice is preparing to open a corruption investigation into the arms company BAE, the Guardian has learned. It would cover the alleged £1bn arms deal payments to Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia.

Washington sources familiar with the thinking of senior officials at the justice department said yesterday it was "99% certain" that a criminal inquiry would be opened under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Such an investigation would have potentially seismic consequences for BAE, which is trying to take over US arms companies and make the Pentagon its biggest customer.

The sources say US officials were particularly concerned by the allegations in the Guardian that UK Ministry of Defence officials actively colluded in the payments. One said: "The image of all these Bob Cratchits in Whitehall sitting at their high stools processing invoices from Bandar has been a startling one to us."

The Guardian has revealed allegations that BAE used the US banking system to transfer quarterly payments to accounts controlled by Prince Bandar at Riggs Bank in Washington. Another senior US source said this brought the payments within the ambit of the FCPA. "Prosecutors have previously taken the view that the FCPA does reach that far," the source said.

Any decision to investigate BAE would be taken by assistant attorney general Alice Fisher, who heads the criminal division. An investigation would most likely be handled by the chief prosecutor of FCPA cases, Mark Mendelsohn, deputy chief of the justice department's fraud section.

more...
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 am

Novem5er » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:12 am wrote:The public sentiment seems more ripe for revolution than in my adult lifetime. You have the Trump supports on the right, Bernie supporters on the left, and the tea party religious people still struggling to be heard and shut down most of the government. Everybody is pissed, but not sure what to do about it other than Vote for Some Guy.

The amount of semi auto rifles and firearms sold in the last 7 years is staggering. I work a few shops down from an AR-15 gun shop, and there's always a string of people(not all of them white)
The fact a 1980's celebrity and a 74 year old "wacky" socialist have galvanized a wave of intense anger to effectively destroy both major parties is amazing. We're seeing the youth left galvanized by Sanders
in ways Obama wasnt even able to do. We're seeing the racists become more brazen in America. We're seeing elements of the left spiral out of control. We're sadly also seeing BLM become more militant.
Bottom line is, people are pissed. The conditions are right for 1968 Chicago all over again. Or worse. Just the right lightning rod. If we thought Baltimore rioting was bad last year...oof.
Media keeps talking about the looming spectre "Paris" type of event in America. Or BLM/leftists and tea party types getting into seriously dangerous territory if these protests get out of hand.

If I would have said a few years ago that Donald Trump was poised to be the next President, and the truth of 9/11 was close to coming out on a massive white house release level, I wouldn't have believed it.
But that's the bizarro reality happening. It was just a few years ago that Syria was a beautiful country. Now its completely in ruins with hundreds of thousands of people dead thanks to the neoliberal destabilization.
It seems clear that the reality of a full on Sunni(Saudi/Turkey/Arab League) vs Shia(Iran, proxies) war is all the more becoming a reality. Russia and North Korea are out in fruitloops territory more than ever.
Maybe the PTB arent in control, or maybe they want to pull the cork out of the Saudis. Worldwide something wild is afoot.

I predict things are going to get so wtf nutty, we're going to wake up to a huge mind blowingly poignant blog post by Mr Wells :)
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby semper occultus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:19 am

...not sure you can bracket Russia & NK together...
semper occultus

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:23 am

Was just thinking about something. If Bandar is directly implicated in 9/11, Holy Shit. While Fahrenheit 9/11 doesnt even dip a toe into Saudi involvement, it's common knowledge(or should be) just how balls deep the Saudis were
in stage running the operation and how tight Bush and Bandar were(ie: the Saudi embassy crew and White House)

But if Bandar is implicated, people are going to start saying, wait a minute....what about Bush? Its interesting that Donald Trump is the first front runner to straight up say in front of millions that Bush lied
to go to war, and later saying the truth of 9/11 is going to come out soon. Why is the ptb allowing a loose cannon like Trump to not only destroy their own party, but tear down these taboos?
Jeb Bush was utterly humiliated in a way we have never seen in American Presidential politics. And with him, the Bush family legacy is now completely destroyed thanks to Trump.

So crazy Trump nearly headed toward the general election, 28 pages close to coming out, what is going on?

Those recent Hopsicker exchanges are interesting. "
One of the reasons being put forward to release the 28 pages involves testimony from Z. Moussaoui. In Welcome to TerrorLand I interviewed a cabbie who picked up Moussaoui in Venice, where no one else reports that he was. He'd been visiting some of the boys at an apartment in Venice. The cabdriver (there’s only two in Venice) had been to that address a dozen times, taking Arab men to the airport in Orlando. "

Not to mention Israeli spies living in Hollywood Florida next to some of the hijackers. IF Saudis are exposed, what OTHER nations or interests could be implicated? Boy what interesting times.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:14 am

28 pages: the controversy over Saudi Arabia and 9/11, explained
Updated by Max Fisher on April 20, 2016, 8:30 a.m. ET @Max_Fisher max@vox.com

Did Saudi Arabia, an American ally but a country that supports extremists, have a hand in the attacks of September 11, 2001?

When Americans talk about this question, they will often mention a section of a still-secret 2002 congressional report, which has achieved such infamy that it is described only as "the 28 pages."

Those pages are in the news again now, resurfacing long-unresolved debate in the US over Saudi Arabia and 9/11. Here is what we know about that document and about the question of Saudi involvement in 9/11.

Though subsequent US government investigations concluded there is no proof of official Saudi support for the attacks, American doubts persist, showing that this controversy is perhaps not exclusively about 9/11 but could also draw on deeper, unresolved American doubts about the US-Saudi alliance and about why we responded to the attacks as we did.

What are the 28 pages?

In 2002, shortly after a Joint Congressional Inquiry into the 9/11 attacks concluded its report, the Bush administration ordered that the inquiry permanently seal a 28-page section that investigated possible Saudi government links to the attack. It has remained sealed ever since.

Some members of Congress who have read the report, but are barred from revealing its contents, describe it as potentially damning. An unnamed member of Congress told the New Yorker, "The real question is whether it was sanctioned at the royal-family level or beneath that, and whether these leads were followed through."

"The 28 pages primarily relate to who financed 9/11, and they point a very strong finger at Saudi Arabia as being the principal financier," former Sen. Bob Graham, who is leading the charge to release the document, said in February.

Other officials, though, say the findings are speculative and inconclusive and have been rebuked by subsequent investigations. They warn that their release would spread unfounded conspiracy theories and cause unwarranted damage to the US-Saudi alliance, which has grown increasingly fragile in recent years.

The controversy over the 28 pages has resurfaced over and over in the years since, including, again, this week.

The families of 9/11 victims have expressed a desire to sue the Saudi government over the attacks, but such suits are typically barred by US law. Congress is now considering legislation that would allow their suit to go forward.

President Obama, traveling to Saudi Arabia this week, is expected to address concerns there that the document could be released. His administration is urging Congress to drop the bill, and Saudi officials have threatened, should the law pass, to sell off $750 billion in US-based assets.

What do we know about Saudi Arabia and 9/11?

Saudi Arabia has a long and tangled history with jihadist movements. In the 1980s, during the Soviet war in Afghanistan, the Saudi government (along with the US) aggressively funded Arab volunteers who fought against the Soviets.

The Saudis especially favored religious extremists, including a wealthy Saudi citizen named Osama bin Laden, who led a group of fanatical Arab fighters in Afghanistan that later became al-Qaeda.

By the 1990s, though, the Saudi government and bin Laden had become enemies. Their disagreements were many but culminated in the royal family inviting the United States to station troops in Saudi Arabia to defend against Saddam Hussein's Iraq, which had invaded neighboring Kuwait.

But Saudi Arabia has long played a double game with extremists, including in the 1990s. It revoked bin Laden's citizenship and deported him, but was one of only three countries to officially recognize the Taliban, an extremist group that had seized Afghanistan and officially sheltered bin Laden and al-Qaeda.

Saudi Arabia's record of backing jihadists and of a shadowy, playing-both-sides strategy has raised understandable suspicions about the country's possible links to 9/11 — enough that the US government has investigated this question at least twice since the Joint Congressional Inquiry.

Those reports, which have been made at least their final assessments public, found no evidence that the Saudi government supported the 9/11 attacks or attackers.

President George W. Bush meets with Saudi Ambassador to the US, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, in 2002 (Eric Drapper-White House/Getty)
President George W. Bush meets with Saudi Ambassador to the US Prince Bandar bin Sultan in 2002. (Eric Drapper-White House/Getty)
After the Joint Congressional Inquiry, the 9/11 Commission formed to independently investigate the attacks. Their investigators followed up the same details and questions on possible Saudi involvement, and even hired some of the same staffers who had worked on the Joint Congressional Inquiry. But the 9/11 Commission ultimately dismissed the earlier findings on Saudi Arabia as unsubstantiated.

"Saudi Arabia has long been considered the primary source of Al Qaeda funding, but we have found no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded the organization," the report concluded.

This past June, the CIA's Office of the Inspector General finally released the findings of its own internal investigation, concluded in 2005, into intelligence failures leading up to the 9/11 attacks.

The final section of the report, titled "Issues related to Saudi Arabia," addressed the question of possible Saudi involvement. That section is entirely redacted, save for three brief paragraphs, which say the investigation was inconclusive but found "no evidence that the Saudi government knowingly and willingly supported the al-Qaeda terrorists."

These conclusions would seem to fit with what we know about the Saudi government.

For instance, while Saudi Arabia has a history of supporting jihadist movements, it uses them as military tools to achieve narrow political ends: fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan, fighting Bashar al-Assad in Syria.

Saudi leaders do not appear to support jihadists out of ideological fealty. Indeed, Saudi royals are notorious for spending much of their time living lavishly in the West. Jihadists will take Saudi money but often consider the royal family apostates and Western puppets — and will often attack the Saudi government itself.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia and the US have been close allies for decades, and for reasons beyond just oil. They shared enemies in the Soviet Union, Saddam's Iraq, and revolutionary Iran. Saudi and US officials had spent two generations working closely together and often becoming personally friendly.

Looking at this history, it is difficult to imagine a reason the Saudi government would work clandestinely with its jihadist enemies to strike the US, its most important ally and benefactor.

But there is another theory, one hinted at in the 9/11 investigations, of a different kind of Saudi involvement: that of rogue Saudi officials acting against the wishes and interests of their government.

What is the rogue Saudi official theory?

Both the 9/11 Commission report and the CIA Inspector General report hint at — but do not fully substantiate — another possibility: Could rogue Saudi officials, acting without sanction from their government, have funneled state resources to aid the attackers?

The 9/11 Commission report states, "This conclusion does not exclude the likelihood that charities with significant Saudi government sponsorship diverted funds to al Qaeda."

The CIA Inspector General report is more candid:

Individuals in both of the Near East Division (NE) and the Counterterrorist Center (CTC) [redacted] told the Team they had not seen any reliable reporting confirming Saudi Government involvement with and financial support for terrorism prior to 9/11, although a few also speculated that dissident sympathizers within the government may have aided al-Qa'ida. A January 1999 Directorate of Intelligence (DI)/Office of Transnational Issues Intelligence Report on Bin Ladin's finances indicated that "limited" reporting suggested that "a few Saudi Government officials" may support Usama Bin Ladin (UBL) but added that the reporting was "too sparse to determine with any accuracy" such support.

It is worth reiterating that this theory has never been confirmed. But, as commonly told, it begins with Saddam Hussein's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

Saudi Arabia, fearing it could be next, invited the US military to station thousands of troops in the kingdom. The country's powerful and ultraconservative clerical establishment was outraged, seeing this as a humiliation and a desecration of Muslim holy land, and openly hinted it might support a violent uprising.

The Saudi royal family responded as they had to other such crises: by co-opting and appeasing the clerical establishment. They shut down some nascent liberalizing reforms that had angered ultraconservative clerics, for example.

And they established a new government agency, the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, designed to appease Saudi ultraconservatives, some of whom were recruited to the agency itself and given wide latitude.

Islamic Affairs ostensibly supported Islamic charities as a humanitarian and soft-power mission. But, owing to the ideological leanings of the ministry's officers, it also funded Islamist extremism and jihadism throughout the Muslim world.

The ministry, closely tied to the Saudi clerical establishment that has never really been under the government's control, operated with an unusual degree of autonomy. The government tolerated this; better that ultraconservatives cause trouble abroad than at home.

Could some of the officials in that ministry, acting independently, have quietly deployed their resources in support of the 9/11 hijackers?

In recent years, a handful of inconclusive but highly disturbing details have come out that suggest possible links between the Ministry of Islamic Affairs and the hijackers.

For example, a Saudi living in the US who had ties to the Islamic Affairs Ministry, and who was salaried by a Saudi aviation company for whom he never actually did any work, facilitated and paid for an apartment for two of the 9/11 hijackers. His US-based contact in Islamic Affairs, Fahad al-Thumairy, was expelled from the US in 2002 over suspected ties to terrorists.

Such details, along with the Ministry of Islamic Affairs' unusual autonomy and its links to an ultraconservative clerical establishment that could be at times more sympathetic to jihadists than to their own government, have long fed speculation that rogue officials in the ministry could have played a role.

Again, while this theory has never been confirmed, it is difficult to rule out completely, both because US investigators have raised it and because this theory would comport with what we know about the Saudi government and the Saudi clerical establishment.

If some version of this theory made it into the still-classified "28 pages," then that could at least hypothetically explain the confusion over what the report does and does not show. It is easy to imagine, for example, that the report's authors initially treated evidence for this theory as possibly implicating the Saudi government itself but, when those investigators looked at the same question in greater depth for the 9/11 Commission report, decided it did not.

That is speculation, but the point is that, now 15 years after 9/11, we have the distance to conclude that there is strong reason to doubt that the Saudi government would have supported the attacks, but at least moderate cause for wondering if rogue officials with Islamic Affairs might have been involved. In 2002, when the "28 pages" were written, we did not have that distance.

So why does this debate keep coming back, time and again? What is it about those 28 pages, and about questions of Saudi involvement, that seems to so nag at Americans?

Why do the 28 pages keep coming up?

The recurring debates over the 28 pages are a reminder of why so many Americans still wonder, nearly 15 years later, whether our closest Arab ally might have shared responsibility for the worst ever terror attack on US soil.

Because the document is still sealed and cannot be independently examined, but has been the subject of so much speculation, it has become something of a Rorschach test for how one considers the question of possible Saudi involvement in 9/11. And that question is often about more than just 9/11.

The 28 pages can be a way to debate the American alliance with Saudi Arabia itself. If the case against releasing the document is that it would harm US-Saudi ties, then your view naturally turns on whether you see that alliance as worth protecting. Demanding the release of the documents can be a way of expressing skepticism of the Saudis and of the US-Saudi alliance.

In some ways, then, this is as much a controversy over 9/11 as it is over longstanding, and recently growing, American discomfort with the Saudi alliance, which at times appears counter to both US values and interests.

Since the Arab Spring, that alliance has appeared increasingly strained, both because the two countries have developed conflicting goals for the region and because it is uncomfortable for the US to seek Mideast democracy while also supporting a theocratic absolute monarchy.

The monarchy, Americans have grown keenly aware, makes a practice of supporting jihadists, which naturally increases the threat to the United States. (The jihadists also threatened, and have attacked, Saudi Arabia itself.) When Americans hear denials that Saudi Arabia supported the particular jihadists who launched the 9/11 attacks, then, it conflicts with their understanding of reality and can feel untrue.

The controversy also thrives on unresolved emotions over the legacy of 9/11.

There remains, still years after the attacks, distrust of an official narrative that initially blamed Saddam Hussein; a sense that we went after the wrong enemy by invading Iraq; and skepticism about why the US still allies itself with a Saudi government known for promoting extremists.

These are difficult issues that the United States has never fully confronted, in part because it would require asking hard questions about the utility of an Iraq war for which thousands of Americans gave their lives.

While these issues do not necessarily suggest that Saudi Arabia had a hand in 9/11, it is easy to see how, to many Americans, that could end up feeling true. The 28 pages, regardless of what they actually show, are way of answering the unanswered questions and resolving the unresolved emotions that Americans have never quite collectively processed.

The existence of those secret 28 pages, and the Saudi and White House effort to keep them secret, seem to hint at confirmation of things many Americans suspect: that we attacked the wrong enemy after 9/11, that our Saudi allies are not allies at all, and that American policy toward the Middle East is disastrously shortsighted and self-defeating.

Asking about the 28 pages is a way of conveying these beliefs. Those things can indeed be true — and there is a case to be made that they are — without it being the case that Saudi Arabia somehow participated in the 9/11 terror attacks.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby backtoiam » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 am

8bitagent wrote:

Its interesting that Donald Trump is the first front runner to straight up say in front of millions that Bush lied to go to war, and later saying the truth of 9/11 is going to come out soon. Why is the ptb allowing a loose cannon like Trump to not only destroy their own party, but tear down these taboos?

mmmm...well, the Donald did refer to "dancing muslims" instead of "dancing israelis" didn't he? Everybody already knows Bush lied. Old news. What taboos?

What are the 28 pages?

A psyop to scare Saudis onto a tighter leash. The squid wants something from the Saudis, and it intends to get it.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby zangtang » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:00 am

revealing the full involvement of the Bush family (& 'crime cabal')
would be about the best thing i can think of for the U.S. as a whole

What with the Saudis, Mossad, CIA & various dual nationality insider wonks.

bit of a 'Carlyle group' style snapshot.
zangtang

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Is Obama Objection to 9/11 Bill Attempt to Prevent Lawsuits for US Overseas Terrorism?
Obama said legislation would mean 'opening up the United States to being continually sued by individuals in other countries.'
byAndrea Germanos, staff writer

Secretary of State John Kerry and Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir shake hands in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Jan. 23, 2016. (Photo: Reuters)
Is President Obama promising to veto a bill over fears that it could make U.S. officials the subject of lawsuits over drone strikes and other deadly acts during its War on Terror?

The pending legislation in question is the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA), authored by Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas) and Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), which would amend the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA) and the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA). It would enable victims of 9/11 and other attacks on U.S. soil to sue nations, including Saudi Arabia, if the are found to have been involved or supplied material support for terrorism. Democratic presidential candidates Hilary Clinton and Bernie Sanders declared their support for the legislation just ahead of the New York presidential primary.

Obama arrived in Saudi Arabia Wednesday for a short visit, where, according to CNN, he "received a chilly reception from Saudi Arabia's leaders," and where, as the Guardian reported, he may "face some potentially awkward questions from his hosts—not least over a push by some of his political allies" to pass the bill. The White House, however, has already signaled Obama would veto the measure.

As for why, Obama told CBS News on Monday, "This is a matter of how generally the United States approaches our interactions with other countries. If we open up the possibility that individuals and the United States can routinely start suing other governments, then we are also opening up the United States to being continually sued by individuals in other countries."

Secretary of State John Kerry said nearly the same in February, telling a senate panel that the bill would "expose the United States of America to lawsuits and take away our sovereign immunity and create a terrible precedent."

Mark Joseph Stern wrote at Slate that such retaliation could take the form of "lawsuits against American service members, diplomats, and government officials in their own courts." He further noted: "A primary justification for foreign sovereign immunity is comity: America doesn't judge foreign countries' internal decisions; in return, other countries don't judge America's."

The Sacramento Bee's editorial board wrote Tuesday that the legislation "might allow foreign citizens to sue, for instance, over drone strikes that the president has made a key part of his fight against terror."

Obama's opposition to the legislation met backlash from families of 9/11 victims, who wrote in a letter sent to Monday to Obama, "Your place in history should not be marked by a campaign to foreclose the judicial process as a venue in which the truth can be found."

Like what you're reading? Donate now!

While the New York Times reported Friday that Saudi officials have "told the Obama administration and members of Congress that it will sell off hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of American assets held by the kingdom" if Congress passes the bill, White House spokesman Josh Earnest dismissed that threat, telling reporters Monday, "I'm confident that the Saudis recognize, just as much as we do, our shared interest in preserving the stability of the global financial system."

Still, the Brookings Institution's Bruce Riedel, a veteran of the CIA for 30 years, told the Guardian, "If members of the Saudi government are taken to court, there will be retaliation from the kingdom."

Despite what the Associated Press described as "increasingly strained relations" between the U.S. and the Saudis, arms deals to the kingdom are flourishing.

"Saudi Arabia is the largest buyer of American military hardware and services, and those sales have expanded under Obama, with more than $100 billion in sales approved by 2015," TIME magazine reported Tuesday.

Human rights groups have charged that the U.S. has "facilitated appalling crimes" by supplying the kingdom with weapons used for "unlawful airstrikes" during its bombing campaign of Yemen, and the Times also described the war as "a humanitarian disaster" that has "fueled a resurgence of Al Qaeda in Yemen."

As William Hartung, director of the Arms and Security Project at the Center for International Policy, wrote at the Times Wednesday, "The Saudi-American arms deals are a continuation of a booming business that has developed between Washington and Riyadh during the Obama years. In the first six years of the Obama administration, the United States entered into agreements to transfer nearly $50 billion in weaponry to Saudi Arabia, with tens of billions of dollars of additional offers in the pipeline."
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Nordic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:22 pm

It just dawned on me ....

The timing of everything right now ....

Obama is visiting Saudi Arabia right now. Right in the thick of this.

There's only one thing that makes sense to me:

The US, right now, today, is out to strong-arm Saudi Arabia into supporting ... Something.

But what?

This whole thing is one big political manipulation directed at Saudi Arabia. Obama saying "gosh it would be a real shame what we would have to do if word gets out .... But we can still stop it from getting out. But we need you to ___________"

Let's just hope it's not some massive new war against say, Russia. Or China. Or something that hugely stupid.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby backtoiam » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Amazing timing. :uncertain:

How can Obama break bread with him? President meets with Saudi ruler after fresh evidence emerges linking Arab kingdom with 9/11 attacks

By Lydia Willgress for MailOnline and Associated Press

Published: 05:37 EST, 20 April 2016 | Updated: 15:06 EST, 20 April 2016

Barack Obama has met with the king of Saudi Arabia in Riyadh to discuss counter-terrorism and the threat of ISIS, just as fresh information emerged that appears to connect the Arab nation and the September 11 attacks.

President Obama's uncomfortable meeting came after officials revealed that the flight certificate of Al-Qaeda bomb maker Ghassan Al-Sharbi was discovered hidden in an envelope from the Saudi embassy in Washington when they arrested him in 2002.

On top of that, there is mounting pressure on Mr Obama at home to declassify a 28-page section of a Congressional report which many believe will point to Saudi involvement in the 2001 plane hijackings, which killed nearly 3,000 people and launched the War on Terror.

The claims are highly significant as President Obama arrived in Saudi Arabia this morning so he could meet with officials. He is pictured with King Salman, above

Al-Sharbi, who became an Al Qaeda bombmaker, is believed to have learned how to fly with the 9/11 hijackers but did not take part in the attacks. Shortly before his arrest, he buried a bundle of documents, which is believed to have included the certificate.

The cache was discovered by US authorities and details, written in a memo known as Document 17 in 2003, were released without fanfare by investigators last year. They were only brought to the public's attention when an activist discovered them and wrote about them on his website earlier this week.

Activist Brian McGlinchey claimed the new details of the flight certificate would lead to people questioning the extent government individuals were involved, according toThe Times.
The envelope points to the fundamental question hanging over us today: to what extent was the 9/11 plot facilitated by individuals at the highest levels of the Saudi government?

Activist Brian McGlinchey
He said: 'The envelope points to the fundamental question hanging over us today: to what extent was the 9/11 plot facilitated by individuals at the highest levels of the Saudi government?'

Victims' families have been pushing Congress for the right to sue Saudi Arabia over the death of their loved ones as well as calling for the declassification of the report.

Previous court decisions have ruled that there is insufficient evidence to find Saudi Arabia culpable in the terror attacks, which is why they are now calling for the release of the 28 pages from the 9/11 congressional report which is believed to show a stronger connection to Saudi funding of the attacks.

This has put Obama in a difficult position, with 9/11 families accusing him of siding with the Kingdom and Saudi officials threatening to sell hundreds of billions of dollars of American assets if Congress passes a bill that would allow the government to be sued over the attacks.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir has said his country would sell up to $750 billion in US treasury securities and other assets before the bill puts them in jeopardy.

The administration has tried to stop Congress from passing the legislation, a bipartisan Senate bill. Earlier this week, Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, indicated that President Obama would veto any such legislation.

Paul Ryan, the House speaker, has also refused to back the legislation, saying that lawmakers need to review the bill 'to make sure that we're not making mistakes with our allies'.

The increasingly strained relationship between the two countries was laid bare in Riyadh this morning, when Mr Obama arrived at King Khalid International Airport, to be greeted by Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the governor of Riyadh, as opposed to the king himself.

Saudi state television did not immediately air Obama's arrival, which was unusual since right before Air Force One landed, State TV showed King Salman greeting other senior officials from Gulf nations arriving for the Gulf Cooperation Council summit.

Mustafa Alani, a security analyst at the Gulf Research Center, said the decision to send a lower ranking official to greet Mr Obama was intended to send a clear message that they have little faith in him.

'He will find a leadership that's not ready to believe him,' he said. 'The Saudis had disagreements with previous presidents. Here you have deep distrust that the president won't deliver anything.'

Obama eventually did meet King Salman at Riyadh's Erga Palace before the six-nation GCC summit opens on Thursday.

'The American people send their greetings and we are very grateful for your hospitality, not just for this meeting but for hosting the GCC-U.S. summit that's taking place tomorrow,' Obama said, referring to the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council summit.

King Salman offered similarly gracious words through a translator, saying: 'The feeling is mutual between us and the American people.'

The relationship between the US and Saudi Arabia is not helped by the Middle Eastern nation's concerns that the US is shifting its attention to improving relations with Iran.

When Obama called on Saudi Arabia to 'share' the Middle East with Iran and stop the proxy wars across the region, it infuriated the kingdom.

'I don't think any US president has ever been so outspoken about Saudi Arabia,' Toby Matthiesen, a Middle East specialist at St Antony's College, University of Oxford, told the news agency AFP. He added that it was 'embarrassing' for the Saudis.

Meanwhile Mr Obama and Ash Carter, his Defense Secretary, used the trip to appeal to other Gulf nations to do more to support Iraq economically and politically. Mr Carter asked them to help with the reconstruction of the cities of Ramadi and Hit as well as Anbar province, which have been left devastated by ISIS.

Fifteen of the nineteen men who hijacked four planes and flew them into targets in New York and Washington in 2001 were Saudi citizens, though the country has always denied having any role in the attacks.

A U.S. commission established in the aftermath of the attacks also concluded there was no evidence of official Saudi connivance. However, the White House has been under pressure to declassify a 28-page section of the report that was never published on the grounds of national security.

President Obama will decide whether to declassify the sealed documents by June. During an interview with Charlie Rose this week, he said that James Clapper, the director of National Intelligence, was nearly done with a review of the documents to ensure that whatever is made public does not damage US national security interests.

'I have a sense of what's in there', Mr Obama told Rose.

Donald Trump, the Republican presidential frontrunner, believes the pages should be released.

'I think I know what it's going to say,' Mr Trump said on Fox & Friends. 'It's going to be very, very profound, having to do with Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia's role on the World Trade Center, and the attack.'

Former US Senator Bob Graham earlier this month said Saudi officials are against the bill that would make it easier for families to sue.

'They are so fearful of what would emerge if there were to be a full trial, he said. 'That says something about Saudi Arabia's involvement in 9/11.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... round.html
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Karmamatterz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:44 pm

It is not a position of power when a U.S president has to go visit another country. If Obama was holding the right cards the House of Saud would be flying to the states. This is a negotiation, not making demands on the royal family. It's exciting to think some thing might come of this but don't expect much.

Trump was only spewing rhetoric about Dubya lying about going to war. World of difference between a speech claiming lies and lasering in on specific facts. Just like Trump gets nationalists wound up he is easily able to get 911 truthers edgy cuz they want to believe.

The Bush family worrying about their legacy? Doubt it. The behind the scenes power they wield is much more intoxicating and valuable than public opinion. They don't give a rats ass about what the general populace thinks. Jeb is right where his is supposed to be.
Karmamatterz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion