Seattle's Big Dig

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Seattle's Big Dig

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:12 am

The state Department of Transportation has closed the Alaskan Way Viaduct, pushing 90,000 or so cars onto surface streets and Interstate 5.

Traffic in Seattle -- already a taxing experience -- will be getting a lot worse with the scheduled closure.

Just after midnight Thursday, the viaduct closed for roughly two weeks while Seattle's notorious tunneling machine Bertha begins digging beneath the aged piece of infrastructure.

Drivers ought to take heed, not just for the Friday commute, but also for a busy weekend that is likely to keep streets and highways packed with cars.

"Whether you drive or take the bus or train, everyone should have a backup plan," said Dave Sowers, WSDOT Alaskan Way Viaduct deputy program administrator, in a Monday morning news release. "And make sure you have a plan for the weekend as well. Seattle has Mariners games, a Sounders game and Sunday's May Day activities all scheduled this weekend."

Travel times on I-5 and elsewhere around downtown Seattle are likely to be up to 50 percent longer than normal during the closure, according to an analysis by Kirkland-based traffic data company INRIX.
More Information

WSDOT has created a website with resources for drivers trying to navigate the closure, but officials have also advised drivers to try to work from home or change their hours if at all possible.

Here are some other resources to help you plan your way through the closure:

Short commutes nearest the closure may be twice as long as normal, while areas farther out will still see up to 20 percent upticks in travel time, the analysis found.

At a Monday morning news conference, Sowers said he expects traffic impacts "regionwide," but hopes that more planning and coordination during this closure will make things go at least a little more smoothly.

"We did learn a lot from the 2011 closure," Sowers said.

The 2011 closure was scheduled for nine days while crews took down part of southern end of the viaduct. During that closure, rush hour started earlier and lasted longer, often twice as long, and Sowers said drivers went back to their "old habits" after a few days, rather than sticking to alternative plans for getting around the area.

Closing the viaduct during tunneling beneath is a precaution, with the biggest concern as Bertha sets out tunneling just 15 feet below the lowest foundations of the viaduct (which are already 65 feet underground), Sowers said. But the closure will also allow workers from WSDOT and contractor Seattle Tunnel Partners to get on top of the viaduct to monitor it more closely, he said.

There is no scenario where the state would suspend tunneling while Bertha is under the viaduct, Sowers said.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/transpor ... 381413.php

I know it is hella regional but we could very well see a disaster in a major city. Literally anything can happen with this.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Seattle's Big Dig

Postby Novem5er » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 am

I wish I could move my family back to the Seattle area. It just seems too expensive at the moment. I never realized they had a major road 65 feet beneath the surface, but then again I was too young to drive when we lived near there. It's an interesting city from what I remember :)
Novem5er

Postby brekin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:38 pm

I can't remember why but I was reading about the Big Bertha Tunnel Boring Machine used in this the beginning of the week.

That is some insane civil project steam punk machinery.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

And so it begins. . .

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/transpor ... 381413.php

SEATTLE -- The Alaskan Way Viaduct just can't catch a break these days...

Hours after a two-week long closure began on the viaduct, a Waste Management truck stuck the underside of the viaduct at Elliott and Blanchard Streets near Seattle's waterfront.

Witnesses report there is a natural gas leak stemming from the impact as well. Seattle Fire officials haven't given any details but the city 911 log shows a dispatch to the scene for a natural gas leak.

Officials haven't given any details about the crash.

Traffic was already off the viaduct due to a planned closure so WSDOT could begin digging beneath the roadway for construction of the SR-99 waterfront tunnel.

Updates to follow as more details become available.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Novem5er » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:16 am wrote:I wish I could move my family back to the Seattle area. It just seems too expensive at the moment. I never realized they had a major road 65 feet beneath the surface, but then again I was too young to drive when we lived near there. It's an interesting city from what I remember :)

LOL. Not anymore. The history of the city is being erased as we speak. Amazon and Microsoft are currently destroying and gladly so all of what Seattle once was. I swear to god that it is nothing more than a fantasized starfleet academy.

As far as being interesting, indeed. I have some book I need to read the rest of that I got for Christmas. It's about the city constantly being reinvented. In fact on the wall before me is some poster I bought 15-20 years ago and I always joke "what is that, a picture of Wichita"?

But as I have brought up (jokingly) if anyone does wanna set up a commune, I'd be down (seriously). I really do not want to leave the PNW at the tender age of 41.
82_28

Postby Novem5er » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Yes, the PNW is great, Seattle aside. I live south of Orlando, FL and something similar happened there a decade ago, where the quirky downtown area with a hundred little shops, bars, and restaurants was bought up by some developer who turned the whole area into a mash-up of high-end chain stores, upscale condos, and parking garages. Orlando has never been synonymous with "culture" outside of Disney, but for the people who lived there, there was a vibe, a scene, and it vanished almost overnight.

My problem with looking at Washington, not even Seattle, is that the real estate is just too pricey for what you get. I can't imagine paying a quarter-million for a house, anywhere, but looking at places below that in Washington makes me cringe. Maybe I'm spoiled with cheap prices in Central Florida, cheap because the bubble popped and people realized nobody wants to live here :)
Novem5er

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 pm

I would just hate to pay for the AC. I've told the story before but it was back when I was a bartender and this guy came in and started semi-ranting about being ripped off with every apartment he went to look at. I asked him where is was from. He said Phoenix. The whole bar started laughing and everyone said almost in unison "there's no air in Seattle" AC is opening your window.
82_28

Postby Karmamatterz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:14 am

LOL. Not anymore. The history of the city is being erased as we speak. Amazon and Microsoft are currently destroying and gladly so all of what Seattle once was. I swear to god that it is nothing more than a fantasized starfleet academy.

Absolutely love the entire area surrounded by mountains, water and trees. 82, I know you live there so you see the transformation up close but Seattle is still hella better place than most U.S. cities. How is the Capitol Hill area lately? Haven't been in three years, heard my all-time fav yoga studio closed down last year. Lack of parking was one of the reasons, or so I heard. Then Elysian Brewery got bought by Buttwiper, major bummer.
Karmamatterz

Postby Novem5er » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:36 pm

82_28 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 pm wrote:I would just hate to pay for the AC. I've told the story before but it was back when I was a bartender and this guy came in and started semi-ranting about being ripped off with every apartment he went to look at. I asked him where is was from. He said Phoenix. The whole bar started laughing and everyone said almost in unison "there's no air in Seattle" AC is opening your window.

In the summer, my electricity bill is about $220 a month, which is keeping the AC temp at about 76-degrees, some lights on/off, running computers and TV occasionally, and running the pool pump a few hours every other day.

During the winter months, the electricity bill is about $150, with the occasionally AC running and the heater running at night for a few weeks.

Is that a lot? Not sure. I've heard horror stories about people paying hundreds a month for heating gas up north. Regardless, the PNW is just beautiful and filled with people I connect with more than down here :)
Novem5er

Postby 82_28 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Yeah, I moved here sight unseen. I was flying in to visit this girl from Denver I had just met but went to college at Evergreen State College. And as the plane landed, approach whatever looking out over the area I was like, I am moving here before even setting foot on the ground. Except for some choice few days you don't to use your heat really. I am seriously dreading having to lose the hoodie I wear nonstop this week as it will be getting close to 80F. Since I am a criminal and white I loving wearing the hood up at all times. I think it's an OCD thing. I dunno.

As far as Capitol Hill, it has changed due to development and continues to. While not being gay myself they have largely been pushed out from the very permissive neighborhood. Of course still to this day the city retains no matter where you go having absolutely no problem ever with LGBT people. Cap hill just got it's very own subway station. I have yet to check it out though. It's all tunnel from downtown to UW, crossing underwater and all that shit and under budget supposedly.

82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Novem5er » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 am wrote:
82_28 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 pm wrote:I would just hate to pay for the AC. I've told the story before but it was back when I was a bartender and this guy came in and started semi-ranting about being ripped off with every apartment he went to look at. I asked him where is was from. He said Phoenix. The whole bar started laughing and everyone said almost in unison "there's no air in Seattle" AC is opening your window.

In the summer, my electricity bill is about $220 a month, which is keeping the AC temp at about 76-degrees, some lights on/off, running computers and TV occasionally, and running the pool pump a few hours every other day.

During the winter months, the electricity bill is about $150, with the occasionally AC running and the heater running at night for a few weeks.

Is that a lot? Not sure. I've heard horror stories about people paying hundreds a month for heating gas up north. Regardless, the PNW is just beautiful and filled with people I connect with more than down here :)

No matter which month my bill is $18 and I think it's just the fridge.

Seattle City Light residential customers currently pay about 8 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity. Seattle has the lowest residential and commercial electrical rates among comparably-sized cities in the United States.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_City_Light

But, back to topic, a definite disaster could happen and that's why I brought it up. I don't think this tunnel thing is going to work. It could but at great detriment to one of the largest port cities in the world.
82_28

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Seattle is one of the most beautiful cites in the USA and I like the climate. Nice urban plus so close to much grand nature.

Have not been there since 1998. Did much works with WA and Seattle-based clients 1987 to 1998.

I was offered unsolicited positions with two large Seattle environmental planning firms (EA Science Engineering and Parametrix) when quit corporate management consulting job in mid 1990s (the engineering firms were their clients). One gave me a choice of moving to Seattle or them staffing a small office for outreach in Northern California. Did not pursue because wanted time to think my next step and also had a father in mid 80s and my then wife's family to consider in NCal. Squandered opportunity in hindsight.

The one thing I did not like about Seattle was the traffic then and it must be worse now and even more pricier as far as real estate and living expense.
PufPuf93

Return to General Discussion