Who is your favorite blogger?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Who is your favorite blogger?

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Edwin Jewett is a Massachusetts blogger
who just posted a invaluable data base of links.

Use them wisely
If you go to the original link
seen here you will find all
his website links activated.

http://www.occurrencesforeigndomestic.c ... -the-news/

If you are viewing this, I have withdrawn substantially from the World Wide Web and am busy packing up my household. I may return sporadically with excerpts from old blogs (the more things change, the more they remain the same). I will try to keep myself informed but will at least temporarily stop posting what I found.

In my absence, some readers may want some guidance on how to assemble a digest of the day’s global news. If you are a long-term reader of Occurrences, you probably have a solid sense of how I do it, and you probably have developed your very own approach. Wonderful. Every act, expression or experience here is merely a starting point for you, ingredients for your own creations.

When you first enter “the kitchen of your day” to wonder about what you should prepare for dinner, you have to do a couple of things as preliminary steps. The first is to wake up. Make a really good cup of coffee. Take care of your personal ablutions. Eat something. For me, a cup of coffee and some juice or a cold seltzer/lemonade mixture is always at hand. Two basic links you should know about:

http://24timezones.com/ 

https://liveweatherfeeds.wordpress.com/ 

Think first about what you “ate” yesterday. What are the top issues of the day politically, in terms of foreign interactions and policies, in terms of cultural movements, or in terms of threats? Yesterday’s diet informs today’s meal choices, sometimes in need for follow-up, sometimes in need for avoidance or change. Sometimes there are leftovers. So you look into the pantry and fridge to see what you have to work with. Pay special attention to your choice of both aperitif and digestif.

For me, the news equivalent of this is to check Google News and/or other actively-updating news aggregation services. Your first mental task is to consider the flavors and biases that come with your choices. Maybe the cooking metaphorical equivalent is that you will want to blanch the asparagus in cold water and lemon juice, and then bring it slowly to a low heat and let it sit before you grill it in olive oil. Google is an extension of the US government and the mind control/panopticon but, for sheer volume and timeliness, it’s hard to surpass. These kinds of sites can let you know what is happening, though you will want to use many sites to find their interpretation. There are others beyond Google. In time I will name some of them. My bias is that I live in America and speak English; I also love jazz, love to cook, hate war and violence, and would prefer to empower people, have a dialogue with them, and break bread together. I rarely read foreign press unless it is prepared with an English equivalent; I look for people who understand and can speak to issues and perspectives that are European (and Europe has many shades on its palette), Russian, and Asian. Russia has several windows through which one can peer. Asian countries have far less. Let us not forget Africa, or Eurasia, or the Indian sub-continent. If you are a reader from a non-US location (and I know I have many such readers), then you must add those sources that you know about and I don’t, especially in regards to local issues, news, events, etc. I’d like you to tell me what the best ones are that you’ve found. Quite obviously, everyone’s tastes and preferences are going to be different; to extend the cooking and recipe metaphor, choose ingredients and spices that are going to be attractive and palatable in your community. 

Part of the game here is the degree to which any country allows its citizens free expression, or has set up barriers to the flow of information. Welcome to the kitchen; the linen closet is in the corner. The dishwashing systems and staff are in the back room.

One of the more popular things I have here at Occurrences is this guide to online news. Mine and yours need regular updating.

Fairly quickly, I open a file. I use templates or master files and always have one ready. I create a new blank and start on it immediately right after I post but before I turn in for the night.

A look at a couple of news aggregators will tell you how the news “meal” will shape up for the day. I go then almost immediately to look at what’s available at waynemadsenreport.com. I find Wayne refreshing and highly accurate in many ways. As an investigative journalist, he is not afraid to look into dark corners and speak to what he has found. WMR requires a paid subscription but, with his permission, I sometimes package his reports into pdf’s. I try to be judicious about this so as to not take income away; there’s always more at WMR than I extract. Sometimes the bargains are in the basement, and some of his subscribers provide links and are astute and experienced.

I check my e-mail for feeds from other sources. I subscribe for free to DefenseOne.com/d-brief. I also regularly check out Breaking Defense.com. I believe in taking in as wide a scan of the world as I can, including reading and watching governments, agencies, news outlets, pundits etc. which I find anathema. You are not informed if you do not know where and how they are spending 54 percent of all US federal discretionary spending, if you do not know how and where their resources are being deployed.

I then turn to Kenny’s Sideshow where I can link into his substantial blogroll and that of others. Kenny is dead now but his web site maintains itself neatly. It was through Kenny’s blogroll, which leans heavily towards pro-Palestinian perspectives, that I discovered xymphora.blogspot.com, whose own daily review I rarely miss; it gets to places I don’t, and it offers up seasoned commentary.

I’d known about Kevin Flaherty’s Cryptogon for years. He is a role model for the rest of us. Some of these web sites I make sure are saved as “favorites” separately lest they fail to update on blogrolls. Quickly you come to understand that many people read the same sources but time lets you see that they found things you didn’t know about. There are also independents like Stephen Lendman who at times can be counted on to crank out two, three or even four columns a day.

The Intercept comes up early as I go down my list, Lots of people are pissed off about their particular style and method of journalism, but they tackle tough topics with stellar writing, and I’m a sucker for stellar writing. In time, I reject those who have been ascertained to be “gatekeepers”, especially those who refuse to discuss or entertain controversial topics, or who berate those who do.

One simple test is the degree to which I am treated in making comments at any given site. I’ve long ago refrained from making widespread comments, There is a overwhelming amount of both ego and reactive antipathy on the World Wide Web.

I rarely miss checking out naked capitalism; morning “links” are usually up by 10 AM and the afternoon version (“Water Cooler”) is up by 2 PM, including weekends for “links”, plus or minus additional stories and commentary. I usually focus on the political stuff, but they also watch economic indicators, stats, trends, monetary policy, etc. They draw from a wide readership who send links and these are from a solid variety of mainstream sources. But lately it’s become obvious that the proprietors there don’t have information about the validity and veracity of those sources which they ought to know, and the commentary is beginning to tilt, and the technical standards in links functionality has sliiped. It is today’s example in how our attitudes toward sites change over time. I’m sure the readers I have today are not the readers I had two months ago.

Everyone (including me) disparages the MSM but, underneath the surface of the glossy propaganda and obvious bias, you can find veins of decent and solid journalistic writing.

Joachim Hagopian has unique credentials and an angry voice and he does good research on topics the mainstream media won’t touch with the proverbial vaulter’s pole.

21stcenturywire.com and other sites are always worth a look and some reading. You can’t get poisoned by reading something; an open mind is also one which can cleanse and repair itself. That, in part, is what your glial cells are for.

Places like readersupportednews.org/, courthousenews.com, http://www.t-room.us/, http://www.rt.com/, theinternetpost.net, http://www.legitgov.org, sputniknews.com, snuffysmithsblog.blogspot.com/ and blacklistednews.com are worthwhile news aggregators. http://www.strike-the-root.com offers a distinct Libertarian focus. But…

As is always the case, caveat lector; recently blacklistednews posted a salacious item whose sourced tracked back to Sorcha Faal. If you don’t know who Sorcha Faal is, you are a newbie or are complicit. Snuffy posts a lot of material that comes in from Establishment, CFR and similar sources; nevertheless, she is intelligent and widely-read and nuggets can be found.

If you are “watching” Russia, then you should consider russia-insider.com/en, fort-russ.com/, pravdareport.com, the Saker, orientalreview.org/ and southfront.org. The Kremlin Stooge is at the top of my list; I receive e-mail feeds; Mark Nesop’s writing is regularly outstanding. And don’t forgot John Helmer. 

Ricefarmer.blogspot.com ought not to be missed, though he can be somewhat irregular; generally, every other day he posts a new, long and well-honed list of links.

Robinwestenra.blogspot.com covers global warming and the end of the world as we know it from New Zealand, as well as other news, dominantly from sources inside the British Commonwealth circle. dutchsinse.com covers weather and plate tectonic issues, HAARP games, et alia. My son-law is a marine biologist active at high levels and he agrees with me that global warming is a tool of those with an agenda.

Mike Rivero’s whatreallyhappened.com is always worth a glance, but my experience is that some of his feeds from “members” need to be cross-checked. Caveat lector. And his site is littered with “auto-run” pop-up ads. I know it’s expensive to live in Hawai’i but I personally find any intersection of news and profit to be at least a difficult challenge; the best example used to be the ironic and humorous juxtaposition of some ads with some news stories. Today the advertisers control the news product. That’s why I don’t take ad income nor solicit donations.

Professor Michel Chussodovsky’s Center for Research on Globalization, on the other hand, is a noted and trustworthy site with some discernible but minimized bias.

wallstreetonparade.com is also an excellent site but, along with Global Research, the two stand as examples of sites for which you should become familiar with their rules on re-posting their material.

The left side of the political aisle is well-covered by counterpunch.org (which is weekend-heavy), dissidentvoice.org/, & space4peace.blogspot.com.

The Corbett Report almost stands alone, though often he stands with Sibel Edmonds.

Catherine Austin Fitts’ Solari.com/blog is not to be missed. (See also jonrappoport.wordpress.com.)

I used to feel the same way about washingtonsblog.com. They are spotty, perhaps because they employ numerous authors. They often have a lot of important and interesting stuff, but …

Information Clearinghouse is solid and always gets a review.

It is difficult to tell at this point who speaks for the Liberty movement or on behalf of the Second Amendment or the Constitution; http://www.oathkeepers.org & sipseystreetirregulars both exist but have been through some tough times and are still transitioning. OathKeepers has written me off several times and in several ways. http://www.alt-market.com stays stable and offers up good articles. By mid-June, cohesion may have improved. David Codrea, on several sites, intersects and ties in.

It is also difficult to determine the best source of information about 9/11, though research findings, articles and videos appear regularly and haven’t much been refuted by anyone, though there are “arguments” about technologies used; the possibility of infiltration sometimes raises its ugly head in many corners. Watch out for the sayanim. Make sure you have a filter in place to snag the stobor.

News as seen by former military intelligence personnel is covered by several sources; these include moonofalabama.org and turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis, among others.

In that same vein, but decidely different, is chuckspinney.blogspot.com/.

therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com has a focus on the Mideast and Muslim issues and conflicts.

I follow the Twitter feed for Kris Millegan because I’ve read many of the books he’s published at Trine-Day.com/. 

I check jamesfetzer.blogspot.com regularly and

I also get regular e-mail updates from http://www.conspiracyarchive.com, as well as memoryholeblog.com. 

It will serve you well to develop a sense over time as to when and how often these web sites are updated, when they come onto the net with fresh content, etc. You should consider that there is often duplicate posting and coverage.

You should employ a well-maintained “crap detector”. The simplest method is to take a statement or a story and throw it back into a search engine and see who and how it is echoed, was initiated, or if there are counter-claims, and then re-evaluate. I use the old Chinese method: if two sources disagree, you have a diference of opinion; if multiple sources disagree, you have a controversy or maybe a propaganda war; if multiple sources come to the same conclusion over time, you are near the doorway to the truth; keep turning over rocks.

I have often suggested that there be a weekend summit or tele-conference among a small select group of bloggers and alternative media journalists for the purposes of assessing the veracity and validity of sources that are frequently encountered in our system of tubes that, for openers, is heavily controlled and influenced by governments and their paid shills.

I recently encountered James Corbett’s recorded Q&A interview as part of a research project on ‘Mainstream Media Bias and Propaganda’ which, alas, James has seen fit to park behind a paywall. His earlier now-archived podcast episode on “The Myth of Journalistic Objectivity” will have to suffice unless you would like to join his community.

In a similar vein, Bernie Suarez talks with James Tracy [no payment necessary] about “the history and modern dynamics of mass media and propaganda as they relate to government intrigue. James and Bernie also consider how corporate news media function as essentially public relations conduits to present unusual occurrences such as 9/11 and many recent mass shooting events absent any real journalistic inquiry.” “In addition to being a musician, Bernie Suarez is the creator of the Truth and Art TV project, an exciting site combining multimedia with research and analysis of deep issues and events, including geoengineering and the United Nations’ Agenda 21. He is a former US Marine and holds an undergraduate degree in psychology and a doctorate in medicine. Suarez is also the author of a new book, The Art of Overcoming the New World Order.”

If you are reading news and op-ed for yourself, all of this alone is worth some of your time, and takes a lot of it too.

If you are serving news and op-ed to others, then you must take a lesson from some TV cooking shows and think about “presentation” and “plating”. I let the ingredients and the content tell me how to go about this; sometimes I edit for grouping and order. I try to chose main graphics, music and the eventual title almost entirely on what will be included. Sometimes the article has the obvious graphic. I sit down and type out a list of tags for the major articles, then assemble them in order if that isn’t already clearly evident, decide on the lead, fit the music to the lead, and pick the “title” or key word. Somewhere as the process comes to a close for the day, I let serendipity intrude a bit, especially with regard to the choice of featured graphic and musical inserts.

How the blog entry of the day shows up on your computer, android, mobile device, etc. is decided entirely by the WordPress design characteristics which are designed to be mobile-friendly and fit most browsers. I do include a built-in translation widget for foreign readers. I’ve also just added the Feedjit so everyone can monitor the traffic; a good deal of the vistors are bots. Apparently there are a lot of folks doing archival research.

Finally, you will have to address the issues surrounding use of the social media. I tend to go light, as I find most social media to be time-consuming, specious, and bordering on worthlessness. I don’t use sharing buttons or promote the use of most social media platforms since the social media are used to track you or define you for the corporate, advertising and governmental/political interests.

However, if you are going to share and publish what you are doing, you have to pay attention to search engine optimization and you will want to befriend, or at least not reject or offend, those readers who operate as nodes for other communities. It is clear that search engines are used as tools for information management and sometimes downright censorship. Your product design must be mobile-friendly; the extent to which you find success at that is dependent wholly on the open source or proprietary software systems you choose to use.

I hooked up with BlueHost almost three years ago and haven’t been unhappy. WordPress and a veritable army of open source free designers handle the technologies and the aesthetics and they deserve plaudits and cash contributions. The Blue Host package is eminently affordable and is less than the cost of a fancy-schmanzy coffee a day when spread over time. (They do require that you pay it up front.) But the BlueHost/WordPress combo has been effective, helpful, friendly and also stays on top of cybersecurity issues.

By the way, has anyone been watching the Feedjit plug-in I installed that tracks the last 10 viewers by location? It’s clear that I have a global audience. I can’t take the time to identify who these people are, but my best guess is that it reflects a readership that is about 40% interested commoners from many countries, about 20% of people who re-post or mirror some of the links inside their quiet local bulletin boards, about 10% who are connected in some sense with what would be called ‘foreign intelligence’, about 5% from such places as CNN and Google who probably monitor to see what others are looking at, and about 5% from US officials from around the globe, including those in the Beltway, at West Point, perhaps in embassies in foreign countries, probably playing light or semi-serious cyber-security games, or folliwing other leads for counter-intelligence. Folks, I’m not actively part of that. I’m just a news reader, and have been since high school and college. There’s a homemade Inuit fishing spear that once hung ceremoniously behind the desk of my high school AP English teacher that will attest to that, and I was doing rip-and-read newscasts when I was 19. I have a bachelor’s degree in the field.

And given the degree to which everyone is being surveilled and given the degree to which, increasingly, web sites that focus on truth and counter the propaganda and lies are the target for DDOS attacks and malware, if not outright hacking, the jury will remain out on whether or not I continue Occurrences or not.

Frankly, there is serious doubt as to whether I make any difference, given the degree to which governments and extremely-wealthy private entities are engineering the movement toward global war, one-world government and death or impoverishment for the rest of us. See Sullen Bell (“insidiously incremental”) and BoyDownTheLane (“Creativity and Transformation”).

In between packing and practice development of photography skills, I may do mini-data dumps of material gleaned from my old blogs before I switched to BlueHost mixed with the really important current stuff but, sometime around Independence Day, I will likely withdraw to contemplation, writing, photography, cooking, jazz and the last part of my life. I won’t be settled into my new home until close to Labor Day.

Something like Occurences has to be a task for a collaborative team; it takes too much time for an individual to maintain. Millionaires are funding campaigns and news sites, but I do what I have done out of my own pocket, without ads or without holding out a cookie jar for contributions.

This has been my contribution.

Frankly, the maintenance of the flow of information from many points of view and untarnished by propaganda, information engineering and censorship must be a major concern for any society and culture. 

But that fellow Jefferson already said that, didn’t he? And Jeffersonian thinking is seen as a source of poor health in a world run by parasites.

I will be likely without TV or internet for much of the month of July, so take special note of these dates:

Jul 18-21 GOP convention/Cleveland

Jul 25-28 Dem convention/Philly

9/26 1st debate 10/4 VP debate

10/9 2nd debate

10/19 3rd debate

11/8 election

Keep in mind that political conventions are formally designated as “national special security events” so “The State” will be on florid display in those cities and around those events. To what ends remains to be seen.

As more and more governments and private parties become involved in the exercise of news censorship, or news management, the valid sources for news, op-ed and overall situational awareness will be operated like mobile food trucks.

http://myexceltemplates.com/wp-content/ ... s-plan.jpg

image source 

Siracha aoli on that, sir?

We will return to the concept of wandering minstrels and mystics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e2kC-geMI  

Good luck and God speed.

Buena suerte y la velocidad de Dios.

حظا سعيدا والسرعة الله.

祝你好运,上帝速度。

Bonne chance et vitesse Dieu.

Viel Glück und Gott Geschwindigkeit.

Καλή τύχη και την ταχύτητα του Θεού.

מזל טוב ומהירות אלוהים.

Ádh mór agus Dia luas.

Buona fortuna e Dio velocità.

幸運と神スピード。

행운을 빌어 요 하나님 속도.

Lykke til og Gud hastighet.

Powodzenia i prędkości Bogiem.

Boa sorte e velocidade de Deus.

Удачи и скорость Бог.

Beannachd leat Dia agus luaths.

İyi şanslar ve Tanrı hız.

Успіху і швидкість Бог.

Chúc may mắn và tốc độ của Thiên Chúa.

גוט גליק און גאָט גיכקייַט.

Inhlanhla nesivinini uNkulunkulu.

May you have a fair wind and a following sea.

http://www.occurrencesforeigndomestic.com

digesting the news
June 27, 2016 Uncategorized biases, cultural news, economics, foreign policy, global news, government control and influence, infilitration, investigative reporting, journalism, military affairs, monetary policy, politics, social media, writing
digesting the news

If you are viewing this, I have withdrawn substantially from the World Wide Web and am busy packing up my household. I may return sporadically with excerpts from old blogs (the more things change, the more they remain the same). I will try to keep myself informed but will at least temporarily stop posting what I found.

In my absence, some readers may want some guidance on how to assemble a digest of the day’s global news. If you are a long-term reader of Occurrences, you probably have a solid sense of how I do it, and you probably have developed your very own approach. Wonderful. Every act, expression or experience here is merely a starting point for you, ingredients for your own creations.

When you first enter “the kitchen of your day” to wonder about what you should prepare for dinner, you have to do a couple of things as preliminary steps. The first is to wake up. Make a really good cup of coffee. Take care of your personal ablutions. Eat something. For me, a cup of coffee and some juice or a cold seltzer/lemonade mixture is always at hand. Two basic links you should know about:

http://24timezones.com/

https://liveweatherfeeds.wordpress.com/

Think first about what you “ate” yesterday. What are the top issues of the day politically, in terms of foreign interactions and policies, in terms of cultural movements, or in terms of threats? Yesterday’s diet informs today’s meal choices, sometimes in need for follow-up, sometimes in need for avoidance or change. Sometimes there are leftovers. So you look into the pantry and fridge to see what you have to work with. Pay special attention to your choice of both aperitif and digestif.

For me, the news equivalent of this is to check Google News and/or other actively-updating news aggregation services . Your first mental task is to consider the flavors and biases that come with your choices. Maybe the cooking metaphorical equivalent is that you will want to blanch the asparagus in cold water and lemon juice, and then bring it slowly to a low heat and let it sit before you grill it in olive oil. Google is an extension of the US government and the mind control/panopticon but, for sheer volume and timeliness, it’s hard to surpass. These kinds of sites can let you know what is happening, though you will want to use many sites to find their interpretation. There are others beyond Google. In time I will name some of them. My bias is that I live in America and speak English; I also love jazz, love to cook, hate war and violence, and would prefer to empower people, have a dialogue with them, and break bread together. I rarely read foreign press unless it is prepared with an English equivalent; I look for people who understand and can speak to issues and perspectives that are European (and Europe has many shades on its palette), Russian, and Asian. Russia has several windows through which one can peer. Asian countries have far less. Let us not forget Africa, or Eurasia, or the Indian sub-continent. If you are a reader from a non-US location (and I know I have many such readers), then you must add those sources that you know about and I don’t, especially in regards to local issues, news, events, etc. I’d like you to tell me what the best ones are that you’ve found. Quite obviously, everyone’s tastes and preferences are going to be different; to extend the cooking and recipe metaphor, choose ingredients and spices that are going to be attractive and palatable in your community.

Part of the game here is the degree to which any country allows its citizens free expression, or has set up barriers to the flow of information. Welcome to the kitchen; the linen closet is in the corner. The dishwashing systems and staff are in the back room.

One of the more popular things I have here at Occurrences is this guide to online news . Mine and yours need regular updating.

Fairly quickly, I open a file. I use templates or master files and always have one ready. I create a new blank and start on it immediately right after I post but before I turn in for the night.

A look at a couple of news aggregators will tell you how the news “meal” will shape up for the day. I go then almost immediately to look at what’s available at waynemadsenreport.com. I find Wayne refreshing and highly accurate in many ways. As an investigative journalist, he is not afraid to look into dark corners and speak to what he has found. WMR requires a paid subscription but, with his permission, I sometimes package his reports into pdf’s. I try to be judicious about this so as to not take income away; there’s always more at WMR than I extract. Sometimes the bargains are in the basement, and some of his subscribers provide links and are astute and experienced.

I check my e-mail for feeds from other sources. I subscribe for free to DefenseOne.com/d-brief. I also regularly check out Breaking Defense.com . I believe in taking in as wide a scan of the world as I can, including reading and watching governments, agencies, news outlets, pundits etc. which I find anathema. You are not informed if you do not know where and how they are spending 54 percent of all US federal discretionary spending, if you do not know how and where their resources are being deployed.

I then turn to Kenny’s Sideshow where I can link into his substantial blogroll and that of others. Kenny is dead now but his web site maintains itself neatly. It was through Kenny’s blogroll, which leans heavily towards pro-Palestinian perspectives, that I discovered xymphora.blogspot.com, whose own daily review I rarely miss; it gets to places I don’t, and it offers up seasoned commentary.

I’d known about Kevin Flaherty’s Cryptogon for years. He is a role model for the rest of us. Some of these web sites I make sure are saved as “favorites” separately lest they fail to update on blogrolls. Quickly you come to understand that many people read the same sources but time lets you see that they found things you didn’t know about. There are also independents like Stephen Lendman who at times can be counted on to crank out two, three or even four columns a day.

The Intercept comes up early as I go down my list, Lots of people are pissed off about their particular style and method of journalism, but they tackle tough topics with stellar writing, and I’m a sucker for stellar writing . In time, I reject those who have been ascertained to be “gatekeepers”, especially those who refuse to discuss or entertain controversial topics, or who berate those who do.
fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to General Discussion