The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby guruilla » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:27 pm

I just heard about this; a search tells me it only came up at RI at the Didn’t Jack Palance Already Die? thread. Call me trivial, but I thought it was worth a thread of its own.

I remember the braces. :shrug:

It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:42 pm

This is a good thread for that kind of stuff -
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39426&hilit=berenstain+bears
Burnt Hill

Postby tron » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:21 pm

im trying think on a logical explanation , maybe its just the new digital version, im going to go get a vhs to see. would be easy to upload an edited video to a few sites then a few years later shout about how its been edited and point to the already planted film.
tron

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:26 pm

I remember the braces.

What's the mystery, though? They digitized them out. Why, who the hell knows?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby tron » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3j-4TxCdFI

old vhs, braces gone, i think hoax
tron

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 pm

This is silly. Everyone that saw it (the movie) in the early 80s or thereabouts remember her wearing braces. The scene makes no sense otherwise.

F'ing internet.

My father recorded this f'ing movie (as well as a bunch of other 007/Chuck Norris/Spaghetti Westerns, etc.) on VHS way back in the early 80s, which is how I saw it so many times.

Dammit, now I'll need to try to locate that damned VHS tape -- and a VHS player -- and settle this nonsense.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belligerent Savant

Postby guruilla » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:51 pm

Fascinating, captain.

tron wrote:old vhs, braces gone, i think hoax

Yes but which is the hoax?

Do I actually remember the braces? Or is it all just suggestion?

JackRiddler wrote:What's the mystery, though? They digitized them out. Why, who the hell knows?

So cavalier! That ought to read, In the name of God, man, WHY???!!

It's hard to think of a benign explanation for this.
guruilla

Postby justdrew » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:13 am

the video of the standard res dvd on a tv is poor quality. I suspect they changed her braces to look like the modern naturally colored semi-transparent braces kids know of today. why? because someone got paid money to come up with changes to the dvd release and so changes were needed, they tell themselves, "otherwise kids wont know she's wearing braces, they'd think she was like, "young lady jaws" or something. Which is nuts, but just the kind of dumb rationalization that justifies such crazy film changes. Which do happen.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby guruilla » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 am

Sorry, but this ^^^ is not even coherent with the evidence. A) Dollie in the existing "re-worked" version does not appear to be wearing braces, transparent or otherwise; B) Even if she were, the joke would still not make sense, since Jaws' teeth are metal, not transparent plastic; the point of the joke is that she has a metal mouth. C) The braces are also missing in the (alleged) VHS version.

Either the VHS version in the YT video is fake (Bizarre!), our memories about the braces are false (inexplicable, esp. since the scene makes no sense without (metal) braces), or . . . ?
guruilla

Postby Nordic » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:52 am

Ha! I was wondering when a thread on the Mandella Affect might come up. It's called that because allegedly, an awful lot of people remember Mandella dying years before he actually died.

This one is very strange. I remember the braces, too, and this doesn't look like they digitally removed them -/ those look like teeth. :shock:

The people that are into this theory blame is on CERN. That CERN is messing with the part and creating new and alternate timelines.

I have to say this -- when Gene Wilder died so recently I could swear to god I remembered him dying before. Like maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It actually does kind of freak me out.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:49 am

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby tron » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 am

its a hoax from all angles, the vhs guy is just playing along,

or they have the original cut and somehow performed the edit and sent it back in time? somehow?
tron

Postby elfismiles » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:03 am

"I remember the braces - they are the punchline to the scene" is how I and several of my deepest fan-boy friends have reacted to my introducing them to this memory-meme.

As much as I am a fan of PKD's "revelation of the matrix" 1977 speech (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28108) most of the Mandella Effect examples leave me nodding my head saying, yep - memory is a tricky thing and most of these examples (especially the product logo/name ones) strike me as just plain old fallibility of memory as well as the social re-write nature of the "telephone game" in which stories are altered during the re-transmitting of the memes.

But there have been a couple that have stuck in my craw like this Moonraker Braces example as well as the "C-3PO had a silver leg in the original Star Wars" example! In both of those cases my fan-boy friends and I are left scratching our heads.

I too can imagine the dvd release including digitally modified elements (think of the CGI'd-out machine guns held by the Feds in Spielberg's E.T.) ... but, perhaps it really is just a trick of memory for the braces... my wife hadn't seen Moonraker and when my friend and I watched the dvd bluray version (its what we had on hand) and went to that scene, my wife commented that perhaps the fact that Dolly was wearing glasses and pigtails was enough for most minds watching it at the time to imagine she had braces, like the overlay of a false "archetypal nerd image" on top of the perception. But that still does not sit well with me because I always remembered that (at least, in retrospect I believe I've always remembered it that way) as the POINT of the scene, especially with her SMILING to reveal her teeth AFTER the Jaws character reveals his mouthful of metal!
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Harvey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:23 am

Anyone ask when the VHS copy is from?

And on another note, I could have sworn there was rigour and intuition somewhere. I saw it with my own eyes, I swear I did.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby dada » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:01 am

If I heard a close friend or a family member died again, that would be something. But it's never that, the feeling that "someone that just died was already dead" only happens with celebrities, media figures, persons with mass popularity. So maybe it's only an effect of the consumer mind.

Then again, maybe I'm a multi-dimensional gatekeeper. Nothing to see here, folks.

Someone explained this bernstein bears thing to me during a dinner conversation one time. I remember that it was "bernstein." I know this because I used to think it was strange that people pronounced it "steen," and not like "stein." Although that's one of the running jokes in Young Frankenstein, isn't it. Frankenshteen. So there's your Gene Wilder connection. haha!

So I think that 'bernstain' is people remembering how they heard the name pronounced. It's how Bernstein sounds with a southern drawl.

Moonraker, I've never seen. I don't remember any Moonraker movie, what the hell are you people talking about?

In my reality tunnel, the Moonraker movie itself is a quantum effect. And you're all from another dimension.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Next

Return to General Discussion