The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby guruilla » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Nordic wrote:So the girls braces were removed by the CIA?

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Re: mimesis, it seems likely the Interview with a/the Vampire "controversy" is only possible within the context created by the whole Mandela Effect meme. If I'd seen a copy of the film or book with its correct/current title, I'd have had a "Huh?" reaction but I wouldn't have started a reddit thread about it. Since I first found out about it in the context of The Mandela Effect, my tendency to believe my (faulty?) memory was greatly increased by the knowledge that others shared that same memory.

In the case of Moonraker disappearing braces, this is also somewhat true, though it began with someone simply asking me if I thought the girl in the scene had braces, with no indication of any weirdness around it (I said yes). The extent to which we might alter our own perceptions and/or memories due to a desire to participate with the group is I think key to the subject of this thread.

Is anyone saying they remember Dolly without braces, I wonder? Surely if they aren't yet, they soon will be.

I have had many arguments with people, esp my wife, that center upon conflicting perceptions (i.e., This is blue! No, it's green! and so on). Agreeing on what we perceive of our environment is central to communication and hence to relationships, and hence to survival. It's how societies are formed, through consensus.

CERN is about breaking matter apart; the Mandela Effect seems to relate to a breakdown of social cohesion at a purely perceptual level, as if each of us is starting to experience the isolation of our individual perceptual tunnels and the corresponding disorientation of that lack of agreement with/belonging to the group. Believing in the Mandela Effect (mimesis) would be a way to subgroup and so restore some stability to one's experience and validity to one's perceptions. And so on....
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:44 pm

Nordic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 am wrote:Well, it's nothing really. But having been in a lot of earthquakes, I've just had the sense that after a few of them, everything was slightly different, in an alternate reality sort of way. There was one in particular not long before 9/11 that I often think about because everything in my life and in the world seemed quite different after it happened. I can't really deliver anything more concrete than that. I could give details but they're all specific and personal.

And I just thought of how much mass is in motion during an earthquake, and I thought of all the strange phenomena that we can observe around them, including the strange lights in the sky, animals acting strange, and if CERN is able to somehow mess with time/space by shooting tiny little particles around, what is possible when tectonic plates rupture and rub and smash u to each other, with incomprehensible levels of energy stored into the stresses and suddenly released etc etc etc.

Sounds like quantum immortality. You died in that earthquake, but your consciousness continued on in a different reality where you didn't. :shock:
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby tron » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:09 pm

did we subliminally put the braces there? are we braces loving perverts? tooth jewelers? i used to dig chicks with braces when i was younger, i was freaky myself and identified with those who were different especially if they thought they were not pretty....(i would tell them they are.even more so) im kinda beyond braces now, its out of my age group, even though, when i see a girl with train tracks on her teeth i still think "awww pretty youngling with a toothy burden"....
tron

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Burnt Hill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:22 am wrote:Its because "with the" sounds the same as "with a".

You are correct about the sound but I nevr recall ever saying the title out loud because have never had a conversation or seldom thought about Anne Rice and her art.

BTW I never knew that Rice had spent time in San Francisco or Berkeley. We both lived in Berkeley during an overlapping time in the 1970s (according to the wiki).

And I was just starting to enjoy shifting from one reality to another. :starz:
PufPuf93

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:13 pm

But doesn't it sound the same when you think it?
Burnt Hill

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Nordic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:30 am wrote:Regarding the earthquake thing also -- at about the same time as the earthquake I experienced prior to 9/11 I also did a bit hit of salvia. It was an amazing e patience and im glad I did it, but what I saw when I did it was my mind leaving this plane, and pulling way back for a broader view of the very things that create what we see as this plane. What we call "reality" was a projection something I don't have words to describe but which is basically 2-dimensional but constantly transforming.

My point is that when I came back from that also was very close to the earthquake in question. Everything was different after that.

However I have also had this odd feeling after other earthquakes. That courses are altered. Patterns in your life can change after an earthquake. The vibe be different.

I left southern Cal right before the Northridge quake in 93. I think I felt it coming. I just had a bad feeling, a strong growing feeling, like LA was about to become very unsafe. I moved away. 3 months later that quake hit. Next time I visited LA, not long after, things were very different. Everybody noticed it. Most attributed it to the economy and the Grunge movement. Maybe it was. But it looked different, felt different. It was weird. Since then it's all built back up again. The same vibe, the same tensions, the spiraling costs.

That salvia is the shitz and some sort of perceptual punctuation point as are earthquakes; both great and sudden releases of tension where one could be uncertain of the smooth flow of reality

Maybe the salvia and earthquakes are in whole greater than each alone?

Several days ago I noticed that the door into the utility room no longer latched cleanly and that a door from a bedroom into a bathroom pinched, both the same day but at the two extremes of my house.

Yesterday spent the day on the road with a young friend and his wife and young son and he asked if I had felt the recent earthquake at one point and my mind made the immediate connection between the near simultaneous oddity of the two doors and the earthquake but also, and maybe its my age, I see small shifts in condition as harbingers of what has cumulatively changed and is changing in general in general. His wife is being treated for liver and uterine cancers and is only in her 40s. They have a nine year old son together (and older independent young adult children from previous relations and are grand parents).
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Burnt Hill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:13 pm wrote:But doesn't it sound the same when you think it?

Now you have me trying to pay attention to whether I "hear" words I read in my mind and confusingly I am not sure but if so you are correct. :lol2:
PufPuf93

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

It was always Interview with the Vampire, which I saw in a theater at the time, just as it has always been Lord and the Rings and The Sword from Shannara.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby justdrew » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:22 pm

well, if she actually had had braces, it's amazing that would have been left out of the MAD Magazine version of the movie... (and by the way, someone with a little more time on their hands... there's likely a Cracked version and IIRC there is a British magazine like these that may have done a sendup too, Viz?)

It seems IF there is an effect, it's more of a 'reality rewriting' type, in which there should be NO evidence for braces, other than that which could have sprung from someone mis-remembering.

I feel like I remember the braces, but really, it's not THAT plausible that I even CAN remember a few frames in a movie I've not seen in 30+ years.

So I think it's plausibly: a broad road to on-ramp laymen into internet woo-ville, perhaps somewhat self-generating rather than a psiop, as "reality remembrance negotiations" HAVE ALWAYS been a major component of inter-human dialog, and I think we can all see how powerful "suggestion" can be when it lands right, and sometimes it just happens rather than being intentionally employed by anyone.

ANYWAY - the pigtais, outfit and glasses kinds IMPLY braces, but possibly braces that were only recently removed. This is a VERY easy thing to suggest or 'member into existence.

I propose a scientific game:

1. Pick a famous old movie nobody watches anymore
2. watch it closely for 'iconic' scenes
3. figure out a subtle alteration and post your 'madel(brot)'ed version, with a slick skein of 'evidence. Since we know this is intentional generation, it won't be as convincing, but I think we should be able to still get a sense of how easy it can be to buy a suggestion.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby km artlu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:45 pm

C.S. Lewis:
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.

Ditto, I believe, regarding the proposed Mandela effect. The entrance into this discussion of a social engineering possibility is a bit confusing for me. My understanding has been that relics from prior decades have been found to embody the conflict between memory and objective evidence. For example, on page 2 of this thread Belligerent Savant wrote:

"Rest assured, folks: I'll be searching for that old VHS recording of Moonraker in the dusty cellar."

But it seems that a definitive conclusion will remain ever-elusive because memory can always be called into question. Not subjectively though - those books were Berenstein in the 1980s in the same way I had a blue GMC pickup truck at the time.
km artlu

Postby OP ED » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:02 pm

No they weren't.
OP ED

Postby minime » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:18 pm

I owned a bookstore in the 70s and sold the shit out of the Berenstain Bears' books. The customers asked for and bought and I sold them BerenSTAIN Bears books, and we all said it just this way. But maybe I'm part of your alternate timeline. god knows, sometimes I feel that way.

Ditto: It was always Interview With The Vampire. Sold em in hardcover and paperback.

Dolly had no braces. The point of the Jaws scene was that Dolly smiled at Jaws... after he showed his teeth... instead of being horrified and running away. She saw the real monster behind the mask.

Get a grip, people! Isn't reality enough to deal with?
minime

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Reality is why we are off on this tangent, its a nice diversion. :wink
Burnt Hill

Postby dada » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:36 pm

"Dialectical images are generated by the commodity character, not in some archaic collective ego but amongst alienated bourgeois individuals." - Adorno.

Give up now, alienated bourgeois individuals. You cannot win. We control your dimensional spectrum. mua ha ha
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:14 pm

km artlu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:45 pm wrote:C.S. Lewis:
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.

Variant on Pascal's Wager and no more persuasive.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion