The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

lucky » 21 Jul 2017 08:13 wrote:...British natural history museum : )!

Aaaahhh - was figuring I must have the wrong museum. :clown :partyhat
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

^^^ Phew!
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:45 pm

Burnt Hill

Postby Elvis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

A conversation yesterday with the Professor, a real stickler for numbers:

"Did that TV preacher, what's his name, blame the hurricane on the gays?"

"Pat Robertson?

"Yeah, him!"

"Well, he's dead."

"Really? When?"

"Not too long ago."

"'Not too long ago'? Like how long ago?"

"Oh, maybe a year ago or less."

"Wow, I didn't hear about it."

"Let me check Wikipedia."

Okay, what's going on. Turns out Robertson is still alive. I'm certain I read about his passing, on RI in fact. Was there not a whole thread about it? (I just searched—scrubbed!) And no, it wasn't Falwell (for sure dead) and it wasn't Billy Graham (still alive!).
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:15 pm

When I first heard this week that Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" was a cover, I fully expected some sort of broad Mandala Effect wherein the original was just as big.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Elvis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:10 pm wrote:A conversation yesterday with the Professor, a real stickler for numbers:

"Pat Robertson?

"Yeah, him!"

"Well, he's dead."

"Really? When?"

"Not too long ago."

Okay, what's going on. Turns out Robertson is still alive. I'm certain I read about his passing, on RI in fact. Was there not a whole thread about it? (I just searched—scrubbed!) And no, it wasn't Falwell (for sure dead) and it wasn't Billy Graham (still alive!).

Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Belligerent Savant wrote:

From the Comments:

Aaron Rowland
1 year ago
I remember my dad telling me Billy graham was dead and seeing his death on tv your right Billy died CERN is messing with reality
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Elvis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm wrote:A conversation yesterday with the Professor, a real stickler for numbers:

"Pat Robertson?

"Yeah, him!"

"Well, he's dead."

"Really? When?"

"Not too long ago."

Yes I have had this similar conversation recurrently with my wife.
Throw in Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker.
At some point or another i have thought any one of them had died.
Or maybe its that they deserved to.
Burnt Hill

Postby Elvis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Jimmy Swaggart is very much alive.

Jimmy should have stuck with a music career; no one would give a rat's ass if he spent time with a prostitute. :lol:
He turned down a record contract for the ministry. I have some of his old record LPs—which I actually listen to. He is a good pianist and I think his voice is lovely.

In better days when the Swaggart house band was bigger, his wife Frances had an affair with the trumpet player. Good times!

I used to get up at 6AM on the weekends to watch his old TV show, for two reasons*: 1) the hypnotic oratory, and 2) the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSreBJfEwU

That bass is sounding sweet.

* Actually three reasons; Kreskin (alive as of this writing) also came on very early.
Elvis

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Most of these "Mandela effects" are attributable to people passing on incorrect info and tricks of memory, ie there were never any braces in Moonraker to disappear, and Pat Robertson simply did not die last year. The Berenstein Bears, though, is a curious one that does strike a personal chord with me.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Elvis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:43 pm wrote:Jimmy Swaggart is very much alive.

Jimmy should have stuck with a music career; no one would give a rat's ass if he spent time with a prostitute. :lol:
He turned down a record contract for the ministry. I have some of his old record LPs—which I actually listen to. He is a good pianist and I think his voice is lovely.

In better days when the Swaggart house band was bigger, his wife Frances had an affair with the trumpet player. Good times!

I used to get up at 6AM on the weekends to watch his old TV show, for two reasons*: 1) the hypnotic oratory, and 2) the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSreBJfEwU

That bass is sounding sweet.

* Actually three reasons; Kreskin (alive as of this writing) also came on very early.

Swaggart, Mickey Gilley, and Jerry Lee Lewis are cousins.

http://www.cmt.com/news/1452735/gilley- ... l-of-fame/

Swaggart indirectly gave us Zappa's Swaggart Suite set of song versions celebrating Swaggart's sinning with a prostitute.
PufPuf93

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Performing one show a week on Sundays to a sober and well dressed, paying audience sure beats weekdays on the road and weekends performing night after night at run-down gin joints filled with drunks. In addition to a paid, rock-steady gig, he receives a tithe!

Ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?"

We all know he was a one-act kinda guy who split and left it to others to take the show on the road, so I think he'd stay put. As he found out, playing to the wrong audience can get ya killed.

So yeah, Swaggart went for the sure & secure thing, a gig where sinning is expected and sinners are always forgiven that also paid well.

Forgot all about Zappa's Swaggart Suite, PufPuf, so thanks for that. And didn't know Gilley was tied in to Jerry Lee and Jimmy, though I knew the latter two were related.
Iamwhomiam

Postby km artlu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:08 am

Thanks Elvis.

I can relate to Jimmy's belief system like a fish can relate to a bicycle, but that fucker means it man. He done been in the arms of Satan and he ain't going back.

Jerry Lee, if I remember correctly, did a semester at bible college but was expelled for excessive funk on some gospel song.

You've also provided me with further proof of a musical axiom -- as long as it's connecting, don't be shy about repetition. Work that shit.
km artlu

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:38 pm

OK - I just saw the latest X-Files episode on Hulu. For those of you enjoying this thread, I highly recommend seeing it. I learned some things:

1. It's not the Mandela Effect - it's the Mengele Effect. They changed it to make you forget what really happened with Mengele in the 70s.

2. It's not about time travel. But according to Mulder, it might be proof of parallel universes.

3. This is just my own interpretation - there's nothing in the episode explicitly stating this - this is just me taking the considerable amount of woo within this episode and reading between the lines because shows like this always have hidden messages and meanings layered subconsciously within what we're supposed to understand - Donald Trump is an alien. His skin is burnt orange from excessive tanning? Yeah, right.

I'm totally kidding about the last one. That could just be something they want us to believe. Or They, if you've seen the episode.

P.S. When I told my wife about this thread, she explained that the reason why people believe the braces disappeared in Moonraker is because people from that generation are confusing it with a Brady Bunch episode in which Jan wants to go to a dance with a guy but is embarrassed to because of her braces. At the end of the episode, the guy tells her he wants to take her to the dance, but that she may not want to go with him. She asks why and he tells her his mouth is messed up and smiles to reveal corrective braces. She then smiles back to reveal her braces and they happily go to the dance together. The End.

My response was to tell my wife this Brady Bunch episode doesn't exist, except in a parallel universe.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Who can ever forget Jan's braces?! The dramatic high point of The Brady Bunch.

"I'm ugly! Ugly! Ugly! Ugly!" Remember it like yesterday. Everybody does. Ask anyone, they'll say, Jan!

Except it was MARCIA! (Or... was it? More evidence of the Mandrake Effect! Which is what it's always been called.)

Use link to get clip at the right point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuZGPfZPcA&t=141s

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion