The FBI and the 2016 Election

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The FBI and the 2016 Election

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Exclusive: The Democratic National Committee Has Told the FBI It Found Evidence Its HQ Was Bugged
Back to Watergate?

DAVID CORNNOV. 4, 2016 4:48 PM

DNC: Olivier Douliery/Abaca/Sipa via AP; FBI agent: Steven K. Doi/Zumapress
In an episode reminiscent of Watergate, the Democratic Party recently informed the FBI that it had collected evidence suggesting its Washington headquarters had been bugged, according to two Democratic National Committee officials who asked not to be named.

In September, according to these sources, the DNC hired a firm to conduct an electronic sweep of its offices. After Russian hackers had penetrated its email system and those of other Democratic targets, DNC officials believed it was prudent to scrutinize their offices. This examination found nothing unusual.

In late October, after conservative activist James O'Keefe released a new set of hidden-camera videos targeting Democrats, interim party chairwoman Donna Brazile ordered up another sweep. There was a concern that Republican foes might have infiltrated the DNC offices, where volunteers were reporting to work on phone banks and other election activities. (For some of their actions, O'Keefe and his crew have used people posing as volunteers to gain access to Democratic outfits.)

The second sweep, according to the Democratic officials, found a radio signal near the chairman's office that indicated there might be a listening device outside the office. "We were told that this was something that could pick up calls from cellphones," a DNC official says. "The guys who did the sweep said it was a strong indication." No device was recovered. No possible culprits were identified.

The DNC sent a report with the technical details to the FBI, according to the DNC officials. "We believe it's been given by the bureau to another agency with three letters to examine," the DNC official says. "We're not supposed to talk about it."

A Democratic consultant who has done work for the DNC, who asked not to be identified, says he was recently informed about the suspected bugging.

The DNC officials will not say what countermeasures were subsequently taken. "As a general policy, we don't talk about such efforts," the other DNC official says. But this official adds, "You have to take all of this incredibly seriously." The first DNC official notes, "We are the oldest political party in this country, and we are under constant attack from Russia and/or maybe others."

Adam Hodge, a spokesman for the DNC, says, "The DNC is not going to comment on stories about its security. In all security matters, we cooperate fully with the appropriate law enforcement agencies and take all necessary steps to protect the committee and the safety and security of our staff."

The FBI did not respond to a request for comment.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... een-bugged
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Novem5er » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if both party headquarters were under constant surveillance from each other, from American agencies, and from foreign government agencies. We do have foreign intelligence agents in our nation, just as we have our own agents overseas monitoring other countries.

The headline is misleading, though. A "bug" implies that someone got inside the headquarters and planted a listening device within. Picking up a signal that originated outside the office very well could mean that someone had an active listening device aimed at the office, like a shotgun microphone. You can buy those on Amazon and point it at people's houses (illegally?) and sometimes hear things through glass windows, etc.

So I believe they very probably were under surveillance, but they weren't bugged.
Novem5er

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby SonicG » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:06 pm

They just neglected to tape over the cameras on their laptops... :wallhead:
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Cummings and Conyers Request Investigation of FBI Leaks to Trump Campaign

Nov 4, 2016 Press Release

Washington, D.C. (Nov. 4, 2016)—Today, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings and Rep. John Conyers, Jr., the Ranking Members of the House Committees on Oversight and Government Reform and Judiciary, sent a letter calling on the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Justice to conduct an immediate investigation to determine the source of multiple unauthorized—and often inaccurate—leaks from within the FBI to benefit the presidential campaign of Donald Trump. The full letter is set forth below.

November 4, 2016

The Honorable Michael E. Horowitz

Inspector General

U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W., Suite 4706

Washington, D.C. 20530-0001

Dear Mr. Horowitz:

This morning, Rudy Giuliani—one of Donald Trump’s closest and most vocal campaign advisers—appeared on national television and confirmed that he had obtained leaked information about the FBI’s review of Clinton-related emails several days before FBI Director James Comey sent his letter to Congress last Friday about this matter.

In fact, Mr. Giuliani went even further and bragged about the information he had obtained, stating: “Did I hear about it? You’re darn right I heard about it.”

Already, Director Comey’s letter from last Friday had broken with longstanding precedent by confirming publicly that the FBI was in the process of taking investigative steps relating to newly-discovered emails, despite the fact that Director Comey had not yet even seen these emails or determined whether they were “significant.”

It is absolutely unacceptable for the FBI to leak unsubstantiated—and in some cases false—information about one presidential candidate to benefit the other candidate. Leaking this information to former FBI officials as a conduit to the Trump campaign is equally intolerable.

For example, on Wednesday, Fox News anchor Bret Baier claimed on national television—based on multiple leaks—that the FBI was “actively and aggressively” investigating the Clinton Foundation and that an indictment was “likely.” This morning, however, Mr. Baier was forced to correct his report, admitting that it was “a mistake.”

These unauthorized and inaccurate leaks from within the FBI, particularly so close to a presidential election, are unprecedented. For these reasons, we are calling on your office to conduct a thorough investigation to identify the sources of these and other leaks from the FBI and to recommend appropriate action.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

Elijah E. Cummings John Conyers, Jr.

Ranking Member Ranking Member

House Committee on Oversight and House Committee on the Judiciary

Government Reform

cc: The Honorable Loretta Lynch, Attorney General of the United States

The Honorable James Comey, Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation

The Honorable Jason Chaffetz, Chairman, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform

The Honorable Bob Goodlatte, Chairman, House Committee on the Judiciary

Rep. Conyers seeks probe in leaks of FBI’s Clinton case
Detroit News staff and wire reports 7:50 p.m. EDT November 4, 2016
A Detroit lawmaker and the ranking member of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform are asking the inspector general of the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate how details from the renewed FBI examination into presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s email server allegedly reached the campaign of her GOP rival, Donald Trump.

In a letter Friday, U.S. Rep. John Conyers Jr. of Detroit, who is the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee, and fellow Democrat Rep. Elijah E. Cummings asked DOJ Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz to immediately “determine the source of multiple unauthorized — and often inaccurate — leaks from within the FBI to benefit the presidential campaign of Donald Trump.”

The statement referenced remarks from former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani — whom Conyers and Cummings called “one of Donald Trump’s closest and most vocal campaign advisers” — during a Friday appearance on national television. His comments suggested Guiliani had obtained leaked information about the federal review of Clinton-related emails several days before FBI Director James Comey sent a letter to Congress last week.

Comey has said agents would take steps to review the messages found on a computer seized during an unrelated investigation involving the estranged husband of a Clinton aide.

Anthony Weiner, a disgraced former New York congressman, is being investigated in connection with online communications with a teenage girl. He was separated this year from Huma Abedin, one of Clinton’s closest advisers.

Michigan Republicans and Democrats have clashed over the decision to investigate a new batch of emails related to a previously closed probe of Clinton’s private email server while secretary of state.

Conyers and Cummings had both requested full disclosure from the Department of Justice and FBI. In light of the Giuliani remarks, they stressed Friday that Comey’s letter “had broken with longstanding precedent by confirming publicly that the FBI was in the process of taking investigative steps relating to newly-discovered emails, despite the fact that Director Comey had not yet even seen these emails or determined whether they were ‘significant.’ ”

They went on to write: “It is absolutely unacceptable for the FBI to leak unsubstantiated — and in some cases false — information about one presidential candidate to benefit the other candidate. Leaking this information to former FBI officials as a conduit to the Trump campaign is equally intolerable.”
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /93312062/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:57 am

I am sad at the idea that pointing out how close Hillary's foreign policies is to Bush/Cheney, gets one accused of supporting fascism. It has nothing to do with denying the first woman president.
The UK had Margaret Thatcher, Philippines had Emelda...it aint nothing new. I'd just rather have a gold hearted real progressive than someone whose own campaign team secretly talks about
how dishonest and unhuman Hillary comes off. The idea of the Clinton's spoiler Trump somehow getting loose and upsetting their smug controlled plan is kind of amusing to me. I also
dont like how its now pretty darn clear Bernie got cheated by the DNC and Team Podesta. If Bernie was running Id be beyond stoked. Seeing Sanders now shilling for a woman
he implied was a warcriminal (Kissiner)'s protege is not exciting.

I am horrified that the black vote purge crap is happening by people in the GOP, and glad a judge intervened. The idea of anyones vote being suppressed(regardless how I feel of elections being rigged) is terrible.
I am amused tho, that the GOP Trump destroyed and humiliated is back to trying to help him. Its cosmetic, as the real power seems to fully want Clinton. Not out of conscience, but because they'll be able to get
their PNAC doctrine more through her.

seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:05 pm wrote:@Heaven Swan and dada

give me your hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA41kS9dM3U

Enveloped in a sentiment
A sound that rushes over me
Engage an impulse to pretend
I have a faith that's pure

Not forgetting what it means to dream
Indulging everything
Entertaining thoughts that I've the strength
Of those I am to be
Cheers and tribute greet your saviours
Reckless thoughts survive
Anachronistic and impulsive

And what will happen?
Will I dream?
I am too scared to close my eyes
For a second, please hold me
None can change in me these things that I believe
But I don't know what happens now

And what will happen?
Will I dream?
For a second, please hold me
None can change in me these things that I believe
But I don't know what happens now

I saw VNV Nation on that tour, great song.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby dada » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:22 am

8bitagent » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:57 am wrote:I am sad at the idea that pointing out how close Hillary's foreign policies is to Bush/Cheney, gets one accused of supporting fascism. It has nothing to do with denying the first woman president.

First woman president is one thing, If you're on the left, and you say you don't mind the Donald, what kind of message is that sending to women in general?

A vote is only a vote, it isn't everything. I would say I'm more effective politically in what I say and do leading up to an election. Stirring hearts and changing minds is politics, too.

edited to add: I imagine you're going to say, 'what about all the women the US drops bombs on in wars?' I know that's your rebuttal for this.

I get that. I don't know what to tell you, 8bit. I guess we just see things differently on this.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:04 am

FRIDAY, NOV 4, 2016 06:48 AM CDT
The FBI isn’t indicting Hillary Clinton over the Clinton Foundation, but Fox News wants you to think it is

The Trump campaign has no problem with the false reports, since they're helping him VIDEO
MATTHEW ROZSA

The FBI isn't indicting Hillary Clinton over the Clinton Foundation, but Fox News wants you to think it is
FILE - In this Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016 file photo, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally in Miami. Outraged claims of voting fraud are no longer only a regular part of elections in unsteady, young democracies - they’re increasingly being made in established democratic countries by populist politicians who question the fairness of the voting process - and with it the validity of representation by and for the people. At the final debate of the U.S. presidential election, Donald Trump refused to commit to honor the result of the Nov. 8 vote. But he’s not the only example of a politician casting doubt on the fairness of the democratic system in countries where it is the norm. (Credit: AP)
An indictment against Hillary Clinton for her activities with the Clinton Foundation is not likely, despite what Fox News kept telling its viewers on Wednesday and Thursday.

Despite an acknowledgment from Bret Baier — the host who originally reported a false claim that the FBI is preparing to indict the Democratic nominee — that his assertion was made “inartfully,” the story that the Clintons were about to be indicted was picked up by reputable outlets, as well as conservative blogs.

“This reporting has been debunked far and wide, and even by Fox News’ standards, it was shameful for them to air it,” tweeted Brian Fallon, press secretary to Clinton’s campaign.

Trump’s campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, was pleased with the story’s effect.

“Well, the damage is done to Hillary Clinton. No matter how it’s being termed the voters are hearing it for what it is — a culture of corruption,” Kellyanne Conway told MSNBC’s Brian Williams.

Trump himself has seized on the stories in an attempt to rally his base only a few days before the election.

“It was reported last night that the FBI is conducting a criminal investigation into Hillary Clinton’s pay-for-play corruption,” the Republican presidential nominee told a rally in Jacksonville, Florida, Thursday. “The investigation is described as a high priority. It’s far-reaching and has been going on for more than one year. It was reported that an avalanche of information is coming in. The FBI agents say their investigation is likely to yield an indictment.”

In Selma, North Carolina, later that day, Trump even accused the Justice Department of pressuring the FBI into not releasing information that would be damaging to Clinton.

“She’s protected by the Department of Justice, and what’s going on in our country this has never happened, ever happened before. And the FBI is in there, they’re doing their job and they’re not allowed to be doing their job, what’s going on is a disgrace,” Trump declared.

“Hillary created the server to shield her criminal activity and her corrupt pay-for-play schemes where she sold her office as secretary of state to donors and special interests,” Trump added. “And the FBI has it all. They have it all. They’re not allowed to do anything with it because her protector is the Department of Justice. We’ll have to change the name of the Department of Justice.”

There is no merit whatsoever to the allegations being made by Trump or Fox News. As an ABC News source discovered, although the FBI did investigate the Clinton Foundation and reported its findings in February, prosecutors and senior FBI officials decided there was no evidence of wrongdoing.

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/04/the-fbi ... ink-it-is/

The Post's View
Can anyone control the FBI?

By Editorial Board November 4 at 6:52 PM
IT WAS disruptive enough that James B. Comey, director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, injected last-minute uncertainty into the presidential campaign by announcing discovery of additional emails in the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s private server. Mr. Comey’s explanation for the disclosure, that he needed to keep Congress informed, was dubious, and the damaging impact, casting a new shadow over Ms. Clinton, was tangible. In the days since, the FBI’s behavior has grown even more questionable. FBI sources have fanned new doubts about Ms. Clinton’s candidacy with inaccurate leaks about an investigation of the Clinton Foundation. This reflects poorly on Mr. Comey’s leadership and on the FBI.

Former attorney general Eric H. Holder Jr. wrote in The Post the other day that the Justice Department, which includes the FBI, “has a policy of not taking unnecessary action close in time to Election Day that might influence an election’s outcome.” Mr. Holder said rules he approved “are intended to ensure that every investigation proceeds fairly and judiciously; to maintain the public trust in the department’s ability to do its job free of political influence; and to prevent investigations from unfairly or unintentionally casting public suspicion on public officials who have done nothing wrong.”

The FBI, or at least a part it, has blasted right through Mr. Holder’s rules. According to reports Wednesday in the Wall Street Journal and Thursday in The Post, agents based in New York thought they should investigate whether donors to the Clinton family charity were given improper benefits by the State Department when Ms. Clinton was secretary. They were motivated in part by “Clinton Cash,” a book by the conservative author Peter Schweizer that was published in May 2015. According to The Post’s account, when the FBI agents took their desire to probe the foundation to higher-ups, they were advised the evidence was thin. Nothing abnormal about that; prosecutors and officials use their judgment about what cases to pursue all the time.

But this group of New York agents apparently was unsatisfied, and someone decided to prosecute the case through leaks days before the presidential election. Most irresponsible of all was Fox News anchor Bret Baier, who declared an “avalanche” of evidence is “coming every day” and an “expansive” investigation into the foundation was ongoing and would lead “to likely an indictment.” Without any substantiation whatsoever — indictments are returned by grand juries, not by special agents of the FBI — the headlines took off. The false report of an impending indictment was then repeated by Donald Trump. Mr. Baier apologized on Friday for a “mistake,” but the political damage had already been done.

We can only guess at the motives of the FBI agents behind this politicization of law enforcement, but their behavior is sickening. The campaign has been hard enough with the ugly chants of “lock her up.” The last thing we need is to find the fingerprints of the nation’s premier law enforcement agency all over an 11th-hour smear of Ms. Clinton.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:15 am

Did Rogue FBI Agents Attempt Presidential Election Coup by Reopening the Clinton Email Investigation?
Rudy Giuliani brags about Trump fans inside the FBI.
By Steven Rosenfeld / AlterNet November 4, 2016

Did Trump allies inside the FBI attempt a coup on the eve of the 2016 presidential election?

That is the latest question that comes as new details emerged Friday, following confirmation of FBI agents' illegal leaks about the Hillary Clinton email investigation, and the FBI director’s similarly illegal interference in the election by revealing the FBI wanted to reopen its probe.

On Friday, it became clear that top Trump campaign officials knew the FBI was going to reopen its case before FBI director James Comey made the announcement a week ago in a letter to House Republicans—and that they possibly had a role in forcing the decision. That conclusion and open question arose after parsing a series of televised comments by Rudy Giuliani, the ex-federal prosecutor, ex-New York City mayor and top Trump ally in which Giuliani repeatedly bragged about leaks from disgruntled, Clinton-hating FBI agents.

The sequence of Giuliani's statements and backtracking, augmented by other statements from former top-ranking New York City FBI agents who are Trump allies, suggest a cadre of Hillary-hating agents pushed the Bureau to interfere in the 2016 election in a manner that can only be described as an attempted coup.

Before Comey's announcement that the FBI wanted to examine Clinton emails found on a computer in the sexting scandal surrounding Anthony Wiener, Giuliani told Fox News, “I think he’s [Trump] got a surprise or two that you’re going to hear about in the next few days… I’m talking about some pretty big surprises… We got a couple of things up our sleeve that should turn this around.”

Then last Friday, the day Comey’s letter to Congress surfaced, Giuliani told Fox, “The other rumor that I get is there’s a kind of revolution going on inside the FBI about the original conclusion [by Comey in July that Clinton did not criminally mishandle classified material] being completely unjustified. I know that from former agents. I know that from even a few active agents.”

Then this Tuesday, Giuliani backtracked, telling Fox, “I am real careful not to talk to any on-duty, active FBI agents. I don’t want to put them in a compromising position. But I sure have a lot of friends who are retired FBI agents… I did nothing to get it [the FBI announcement] out. I had no role in it. Did I hear about it? You’re darn right I heard about it, and I cannot even repeat the language that I heard.”

There are several layers to parse here. First, as Miles Gerety, an ex-Connecticut public defender and defense attorney said, no federal law enforcement agent is supposed to talk about ongoing investigations. This means leaks to the Trump campaign breaks their oaths of office and violates Justice Department rules. But that illegality jumps into a wider orbit when FBI personnel intentionally interfere in elections, a violation of the federal Hatch Act.

“The FBI should not be interfering in American elections, period,” Gerety said. “This reminds me of the McCarthy era, when FBI agents followed my dad who was an assistant Secretary of State and wanted him to make certain statements… I thought the FBI was past the Hoover era, of blackmail and interfering… The notion that her emails are so important that they can undermine a federal election. There is no equivalency here.”

The unanswered question is what role did Giuliani and his allies inside the New York City FBI have in pressuring Comey to reopen the email investigation, and in so doing, alert the House Republican leadership. It is no secret that the FBI, like many law enforcement agencies, mirrors Trump’s base—it’s overly white, male and conservative. Add to that the factor that the Weiner investigation was being handled by the bureau’s New York City office, which has deep connections to Giuliani and the Trump campaign, and a volatile brew emerges.

Wayne Barrett, who has been writing investigative articles about New York City for decades, laid out some of the links between the FBI’s New York City office and the Trump campaign in a piece for the Daily Beast. It describes how Giuliani’s law firm not only has ongoing business with agents, but that top former agents, including the city’s bureau chief, have been some of Clinton’s most vocal critics and have assailed Comey for shutting down the email inquiry last July.

“Along with Giuliani’s other connections to New York FBI agents, his former law firm, then called Bracewell Giuliani, has long been general counsel to the FBI Agents Association (FBIAA), which represents 13,000 former and current agents,” Barrett wrote. “Back in August, during a contentious CNN interview about Comey’s July announcement clearing Hillary Clinton of criminal charges, Giuliani advertised his illicit FBI sources, who circumvented bureau guidelines to discuss a case with a public partisan. ‘The decision perplexes me. It perplexes Jim Kallstrom, who worked for him. It perplexes numerous FBI agents who talk to me all the time. And it embarrasses some FBI agents.’”

As Barrett notes, Kallstrom is the former head of the New York FBI office. He was appointed to that job in the 1990s by then-FBI director Louis Freeh, a longtime Giuliani friend. “Kallstrom has, like Giuliani, been on an anti-Comey romp for months, most often on Fox, where he’s called the Clintons a ‘crime family,’” Barrett wrote. “He has been invoking unnamed FBI agents who contact him to complain about Comey’s exoneration of Clinton in one interview after another, positioning himself as an apolitical champion of FBI values.”

This fall, Kallstrom told Fox that “a lot of retired agents and a few on the job… feel like they’ve been stabbed in the back,” and, “I think we’re going to see a lot more of the facts come out in the course of the next few months. That’s my prediction.”

In other words, Kallstrom, like Guiliani, has been talking with FBI agents who have been leaking information about Clinton’s emails. Kallstrom, who endorsed Trump on Fox, calling Clinton a “pathological liar,” created a charity for Marine Corps veterans, Barrett said, which “was the single biggest beneficiary of Trump’s promise to raise millions for veterans when he boycotted the Iowa primary debate. A foundation official said that Trump’s million-dollar donation this May, atop $100,000 he’d given in March, were the biggest individual grants it had ever received. The Trump Foundation had contributed another $230,000 in prior years and Trump won the organization’s top honor at its annual Waldorf Astoria gala in 2015.” Trump “allowed Kallstrom’s organization to hold fundraisers ‘pro bono’” at his now-closed Atlantic City casinos, Barrett added.

“Fox is the pipeline for the fifth column inside the bureau, a battalion that says it’s doing God’s work, chasing justice against those who are obstructing it, while, in fact, it’s doing GOP work, even on the eve of a presidential election,” Barrett concludes.

Giuliani’s own admissions reveal the Trump campaign knew the FBI planned to review more emails tied to Hillary Clinton before a public announcement about the investigation was made last week. But what’s unknown is what role the Trump campaign’s allies in New York City FBI circles had in creating a situation that forced Comey’s hand in reopening the email investigation and publicly announcing it—unlike the bureau’s inquiry into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia.

On Friday, Clinton spokesman Brian Fallon, tweeted, “This sure seems like adequate grounds for an Inspector General review.” And the Washington Post reported that Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md., and Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-MI, also called on the Inspector General to investigate leaks and referenced Giuliani’s comments.

But that investigation, if it occurs, will be too little, too late. Right now, as Gerety, the retired Connecticut public defender emphasized, it is clear that the FBI is breaking the law by agents talking about ongoing investigations and its director interfering in a presidential election. And as Barrett’s reporting reveals, there are open lines between the New York City bureau and the Trump campaign.

The only question is, did Giuliani push his allies inside the FBI to force Comey’s hand? Or did Hillary-hating agents act on their own to please the Trump campaign and get even with their Washington-based director who shut down their investigation last summer? Either way, it is an appalling scenario that shows the most egregious abuses of power.

http://www.alternet.org/did-rogue-fbi-a ... estigation
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IeQCDMN6Rc

Kaine: Some in the FBI 'actively working' to support Trump
State College, Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016, in Fort Myers, Fla. (Luis M. Alvarez / AP)
Ed O'Keefe
The Washington Post
Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Virginia, suggested Saturday that some officials at the FBI are "actively working" to support Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

Kaine, the Democratic vice-presidential candidate, made the claim during an interview with Fusion, a Miami-based television network targeting bicultural millennials. The comments mark an escalation in the Clinton campaign's response to the FBI's renewed inquiry into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server when she served as secretary of state.

Kaine called the FBI a "leaky sieve" and criticized director James Comey for breaking agency protocol by discussing a politically sensitive case so close to an election. He also dismissed former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani's decision to back off claims that he was given advance notice of the FBI's plans to possibly reopen the Clinton investigation.

"I don't think Giuliani's walk-back is credible," Kaine said. "I think the FBI sadly has become like a leaky sieve."

Giuliani, a prominent Trump supporter, told Fox News in the days before Comey alerted lawmakers to the FBI's renewed inquiry that there would be a "big surprise" coming from the agency. Asked about his claims again on Friday, Giuliani told Fox's "Fox and Friends" program, "you're darn right I heard something." But Giuliani pulled back on Saturday, saying he was only aware of "tremendous anger" from former FBI agents upset with Comey's decision.

Clinton: Trump is 'temperamentally unfit and unqualified to be president'

FBI speeds up its investigation into possible Clinton-related emails after criticism
Comey's decision to alert Congress about his review of the Clinton case "suggests that it's probably more likely explained that (Comey) knew that the FBI is not only a leaky sieve but there were people within the FBI actively working – actively working – to try to help the Trump campaign," Kaine said. "This just absolutely staggering, and it is a massive blow to the integrity of (the FBI)."

Kaine added he thinks that Comey was under pressure to release information to Congress because "subordinates would do it if he didn't."

The FBI decided to review the Clinton case after discovering new emails potentially relevant to the original investigation. Senior FBI officials were informed about the discovery of new emails, obtained in relation to an investigation of former congressman Anthony Weiner, D-New York, at least two weeks before Comey notified Congress, federal officials familiar with the investigation have told The Washington Post.

The officials said that Comey was told that there were new emails before he received a formal briefing and opted to inform lawmakers.

In the wake of Comey's announcement, the Clinton campaign has publicly questioned Comey's motives and fitness to serve - despite praising his leadership of the FBI after he announced in July that the agency wouldn't recommend the email case for prosecution. Clinton herself has raised the issue on the stump, while top aides and surrogates have called Comey's judgment into question.

Kaine was campaigning on Saturday in Florida when he made his remarks to Fusion. He is scheduled to maintain a breakneck pace in the closing hours of the campaign, including an appearance Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation" – where he'll likely be asked to clarify his comments to Fusion – and a visit to Wisconsin. On Monday he will campaign in his home state, as well as Pennsylvania and North Carolina.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... story.html
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby 8bitagent » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 am

dada » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:22 am wrote:
8bitagent » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:57 am wrote:I am sad at the idea that pointing out how close Hillary's foreign policies is to Bush/Cheney, gets one accused of supporting fascism. It has nothing to do with denying the first woman president.

First woman president is one thing, If you're on the left, and you say you don't mind the Donald, what kind of message is that sending to women in general?

A vote is only a vote, it isn't everything. I would say I'm more effective politically in what I say and do leading up to an election. Stirring hearts and changing minds is politics, too.

edited to add: I imagine you're going to say, 'what about all the women the US drops bombs on in wars?' I know that's your rebuttal for this.

I get that. I don't know what to tell you, 8bit. I guess we just see things differently on this.

I'm voting for Jill Stein, as I did in 2012. As I did with Cynthia Mckinney in 2008. I am NOT voting for Donald Trump. Im only voting for real progressives since our one shot
got cheated, then sold out to Clinton.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Franken expects hearings on FBI conduct
By MADELINE CONWAY 11/06/16 11:00 AM EST

Minnesota Sen. Al Franken on Sunday said he expects that the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold hearings on what he described as “troubling” and “rogue” conduct within the FBI.
Franken, a Democrat, told CNN’s Jake Tapper that it was “troubling” that FBI Director James Comey decided to inform congressional leaders that his agency was reviewing new materials related to its investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server so close to the November election.
Story Continued Below
But Franken argued that it is “more troubling” that there may be “rogue elements within the FBI” leaking information about the case, which has dominated news cycles to the chagrin of Democrats and the Clinton campaign. The senator didn't directly connect Comey to these elements but did suggest there might be a failure of leadership on his part.
Franken, a member of the Judiciary Committee, said he is “sure” that Comey will come before the panel. “He should answer questions about this, and he should be able to control the FBI,” he said.
Tapper followed up, and Franken confirmed, “I think that there should be hearings. And I’m certain there will be hearings in the Judiciary Committee on this matter.”

By JACK SHAFER
Meanwhile, the political fallout over the Comey announcement continued. On Sunday, a key aide to Hillary Clinton argued that the FBI’s renewed investigation into Clinton’s private emails has not hurt the Democratic presidential nominee.
“It obviously occupied a lot of airspace,” chief Clinton strategist Joel Benenson said on “Fox News Sunday.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/f ... z4PFjJxPIk
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Nordic » 05 Nov 2016 08:11 wrote:
Heaven Swan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:20 am wrote:I for one want to say that I appreciate SLAD's postings, especially this thread. I don't have as much time as I'd like to seek out news and it's great to have this gathering of relevant articles.

I also have to say that I'm quite surprised at the number of Trump enthusiasts here. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for differing views, without which there would be no debate, but I had taken this as a left leaning site. I haven't read enough to know everyone's leanings but there were a couple of posters that really shocked me as from other things of theirs I had read I never would have though that they would have wanted a Trump presidency.

I tend to be a practical person. I don't love all of Hillary's policies but I support her a million times over Trump. Keep it up SLAD. I can't be the only one that's glad you have the time and inclination to stop RI from drowning in rah rah Trumpism.

And somehow you can't grasp that the very reason for Trump being in the race is to make Hillary acceptable by comparison?

Trump being Trump does NOT make Hillary an acceptable candidate.

You don't have to vote for either of them.

There are other candidates in this election.

You could vote for Gary McMullinup - anyone with a name that refers to preparing weed can't be all that bad, even if he is a former CIA special ops director from Utah.

Or you could vote for Jill Stein who actually seems to have half decent policies that might really "make America grate again."

If Hilary is shit and Trump is worse then vote for someone who isn't either of them.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:

You could vote for Gary McMullinup - anyone with a name that refers to preparing weed can't be all that bad, even if he is a former CIA special ops director from Utah.

Thanks, Joe. Laughs have been few and far between in any of these threads, but I spluttered my tea on that line.

Or you could vote for Jill Stein who actually seems to have half decent policies that might really "make America grate again."

If Hilary is shit and Trump is worse then vote for someone who isn't either of them.

Now there's a revolutionary idea.

(I think your last line is gonna be my new sig-line.)
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Further to that point if Trump is sposed to make Clinton look good and generally drive voter disengagement then Trump isn't there to win or push votes to HC but to undermine your faith in democracy (ha the idiots - its not like we have any left).
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:55 pm

MacCruiskeen » 07 Nov 2016 09:48 wrote:
Joe Hillshoist wrote:

Thanks, Joe. Laughs have been few and far between in any of these threads, but I spluttered my tea on that line.

Now there's a revolutionary idea.

(I think your last line is gonna be my new sig-line.)

Cheers mac.
Joe Hillshoist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion