Congratulations, Stupid.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Congratulations, Stupid.

Postby American Dream » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 am

https://lbo-news.com/2017/12/22/bitcoin-a-commentary/

Bitcoin, a commentary

When this commentary was broadcast at the beginning of my radio show at noon, Pacific time, December 21, bitcoin was trading at about $15,600. It had a bad Friday, losing almost a quarter of its value, bottoming out at $11,858, before recovering to $14,267 as I’m posting this. I am not claiming cause and effect.

I’m going to indulge in a rare bit of holding forth on my own—on the topic of bitcoin. I thought of having a guest do that, but since I wrote a piece on the topic for The Nation back in 2014 (reposted here with no paywall), and have been keeping up with ever since. Some of what I’m about to say is drawn from that article, but it’s updated with material from the shimmering present.

Bitcoin, once a fairly arcane topic, is now everywhere. The market pundit Robert Prechter, who is a great psychologist of financial markets despite being a devoted follower of Ayn Rand and believing in a piece of superstition called Elliott Wave theory, once argued that in the course of a major bull market there’s something called a “point of recognition,” when the general public gets on board. That means it’s getting late in the run and it’s time for pros to think about getting out (though a serious mania can go on well after John and Jane Q get involved). It sure seems like we’re at the point with Bitcoin, whose price trajectory over the last few years resembles some of history’s great manias, like the Dutch tulip bulb frenzy of the 1630s, the South Sea bubble of the 1710s, and the U.S. stock market orgies of the 1920s and 1990s.

What is going on? Before getting into the details, I should say that money in general is not a simple topic. Most people have a good understanding of how gold, which is something of a primal money, is mined, refined, and shaped into ingots or coins. Slightly less obvious is why it has a monetary status unlike, say, platinum. But it is rare, pure, easily divisible, and has been highly cherished throughout the ages. Paper money is more complex. From 1900 through 1971, the U.S. dollar was backed by gold, meaning its value was legally defined by a certain weight of the metal. That ended in 1971, when Richard Nixon shocked the world by breaking the link to gold and allowing its value to be determined by trading in the foreign exchange markets. The dollar is valuable not because it’s as good as gold, but because you can buy goods and services produced in the U.S. with it—and, crucially, it’s the only form in which the U.S. government will accept tax payments. Among its many functions, the Federal Reserve is supposed to allow the issuance of just the right quantity of dollars—enough to keep the wheels of commerce well-greased, but not so much that things slip off the tracks in a hyperinflationary crisis.

But Bitcoin is another animal entirely. It is the first and most famous of a large and growing family of things called “cryptocurrencies.” Other family members include ethereum, ripple, dash, monero—but Bitcoin is by far the largest. The total value of existing bitcoins is now $261 billion—that’s a third bigger than the total value of Citigroup’s stock, and slightly below the value of Wells Fargo’s stock—real banks with millions of customers, making real money.

Bitcoin’s origins are in a 2008 paper written by the pseudonymous Satoshi Nakamoto. Despite repeated attempts, no one can figure out who he is, appropriately enough.

The semi-official definition of cryptocurrency is “a peer-to-peer, decentralized, digital currency whose implementation relies on the principles of cryptography to validate the transactions and generation of the currency itself.” (While that is a dense slab of prose, to be fair to the cryptoids, it wouldn’t be easy to define the dollar succinctly either.) What that all means is that bitcoin and the rest are electronic currencies—pure data entires in electronic ledgers—created and transferred by networked computers with no one in charge. The role of cryptography is not merely to guarantee the security of the transaction, but also to generate new units of the currency. New units of cryptocurrencies are “mined” by having computers solve complicated (and pointless) mathematical algorithms; once solved, a coin is created and its birth—with a digital signature guaranteeing authenticity and uniqueness—announced to the rest of the system. Every bitcoin includes a blockchain, an anonymous digital record of the unit’s transaction history. The creator earns the value of the new coin when it enters the system. You can buy or sell bitcoin on online exchanges, and there are even a few bitcoin ATMs scattered about. (The closest one to me in Brooklyn is about 2 miles away; the closest U.S. dollar ATM is at the deli half a block away.)

Mining requires enormous amounts of computing power. According to some estimates, bitcoin’s power use already may equal 3 million U.S. homes, topping the individual consumption of 159 countries. The bulk of this mining goes on in China, where most of the electricity comes from coal, so this is a dirty business. The number of bitcoin in circulation is supposed to top out at 21 million; we’re approaching 17 million now. As the limit is approached, the coin-creating algorithms get more difficult to solve, meaning more computing power is required, and more carbon is generated. Even the most seemingly immaterial of things often have deeply material roots.

I should emphasize that the algorithms used to generate bitcoin are pointless. They serve no useful purpose. To some partisans, that’s a good thing, because if they were tied to some useful purpose, that might confer some intrinsic value upon the currency; best to let its value float freely, limited only by the human imagination.

That’s the technology of Bitcoin; what about it as money? The classic economist’s definition of money is that it is a store of value, a unit of account, and a medium of exchange. You go to the store and find a can of tomatoes is priced at $3—unit of account, which the store will book as revenue when it’s sold. You take $3 out of your pocket or your debit card—you draw down the store of value (the cash on hand or in the bank), and use it as a medium of exchange. The value of the U.S. dollar is that everyone in the U.S. (and beyond) recognizes the currency as fulfilling successfully all these tests of money. The dollar is valorized by the goods and services that it can buy.

Bitcoin has serious problems in all three aspects. Over the last week alone, the value of bitcoin has varied from about $15,000 to $21,000. A year ago, it was worth just over $800. That’s not a very reliable store of value. [Note: it’s now $14,492. But wait a minute—it’ll change. Here is a live quote.]

Almost no one accepts bitcoin, nor do any businesses of note keep their books in bitcoin; it fails both as unit of account and medium of exchange. And its short history—the first bitcoins were minted in 2009—has been turbulent. There have been multiple thefts, frauds, and hackings, which partisans dismiss as growing pains. But with no regulator, no deposit insurance, and no central bank, this sort of thing is inevitable—it’s just tough luck. Introduce regulators and insurance schemes, though, and Bitcoin will lose all its anarcho-charm.

Gold is like Bitcoin in being a stateless form of money, which is why libertarians love it, but it does far better on the store of value measure. The price of gold varies by less than 1% a day—but its price is still more volatile than the much-maligned U.S. dollar. It is a semi-reliable store of value. But gold does little better on the other measures: there’s not much you can buy with it, and almost nothing is priced or accounted for in gold.

Despite that, gold retains an enormous phantasmic appeal—some “objective,” market-determined measure of value, unsullied by state intervention. Keynes called gold part of “the apparatus of conservatism.” That was an old conservatism, the conservatism of rentiers who loved austerity, because it preserved the value of their assets. Bitcoin serves a similarly totemic purpose for today’s cyberlibertarians, who love not only the statelessness of it as money, but also its power to “disrupt.” Bitcoin is part of the apparatus of anarcho-capitalism.

The political cast of the Bitcoin universe is mostly libertarian, but it has a left wing. A paper written a few years ago by Denis “Jaromil” Roio, a hacker, artist, and graduate student, deploys quotations from Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri, Giorgo Agamben, and Christian Marazzi to give Bitcoin a revolutionary spin, creatively reading it as a way for “the Multitude [to construct] its body beyond language.” He does not explain how transforming the monetary instrument will change what is produced or how incomes are distributed.

There’s something to be said for bitcoin’s anonymity—though you have to wonder how impenetrable its veil is to the National Security Agency. For now, it’s a semi-safe way to buy drugs and weapons.

But aside from anonymity—which is nothing to sneeze at!—it’s hard to see what problem Bitcoin solves. The switch to paper money was a response to the crisis of the old gold-centered system. There’s no practical value to Bitcoin—anonymity aside, again—but it does carry political baggage. Leaving aside the entrepreneurs and speculators, who are just looking to get rich, the political vision of Bitcoin is of a decentered, stateless world, with competing money systems.

Competitive money, ending the state monopoly over money, has long been a dream of the right; in a 1976 paper, Friedrich Hayek argued for allowing multiple currencies to circulated within individual countries; competition would lead to the use of the soundest—meaning most austerity-friendly—currency and put a check on governments’ attempts to inflate their way out of trouble. That would mean no fiscal or monetary stimulus in an economic crisis—just let things run their purgative course. In this view, the New Deal lengthened the Great Depression; had the bloodletting continued after Roosevelt’s inauguration, things would have righted themselves sooner or later. And we should have done the same in 2008–2009.

Cryptocurrencies would be an advance on the idea of competitive currencies—improvised currencies that could challenge the state monopoly itself. (Actually we had competing currencies in the 19th century; all kinds of little banks issued banknotes that often turned out to be worthless.) Of course, there is no inflation, and government money has proved far more stable than its alternatives, either gold or Bitcoin. No bank depositor lost a dime in the financial crisis of 2008; you can’t say that about Bitcoin in its short life. But libertarians—and there are a lot of them in tech and finance, the co-parents of Bitcoin—are always worrying about inflation; they worry about it the same way that hedge fund titans see talk of lifting their tax breaks as a rerun of Nazi Germany.

So even though Bitcoin fails as money, it’s acquired a vivid life as a speculative asset. But unlike more conventional speculative assets, its value is completely immaterial. Stocks are ultimately claims on corporate profits, and bonds are a claim on a future stream of interest payments. You can say no such thing for bitcoin. Its only value is what someone else will pay for it later today or maybe tomorrow. And now they’re trading futures on it, which takes speculation into a fourth or fifth dimension.

And what a speculative mania it is. Everyone wants to be part of the action. Bitcoin imitators are sprouting daily. The other day, speculators forked over $700 million to a company, block.one, for a cryptocurrency that doesn’t really exist and, according to its sponsors, has no purpose. The company has disclosed almost no information about itself, and almost nothing is known about its founders. And early on Thursday morning, the Long Island Ice Tea Corp., which sells nonalcoholic beverages, changed its name to Long Blockchain, and its stock price promptly more than doubled. The firm has no agreements with any cryptocurrency promoters, nor does it have prospects for any. The mere name change did the trick.

It’s all nuts, but my guess that it’s not the kind of bubble that will cause broad economic damage when it pops. For that to happen, the bubble would have had to be financed by banks that would be put at risk of failure when things fall apart. That doesn’t seem to be happening. But shirts will be lost. More seriously, this bubble shows that some people have too much money. Our society—and I mean that broadly, since a lot of the money going into bitcoin looks to be coming from Asia—has plenty of cash for speculation and not much for human need.
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Elvis » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 pm wrote:
JackRiddler wrote:Nah. She's not all that scripted, or it wouldn't take so long to fail to make a point.

LOL.. point taken. Yet she adheres to a partisan outline that may as well be a script. I think she means well.

Only the fewest don't mean well, or come to believe they mean well, once they have spent long enough doing bad things. It's usually a competitive advantage.

That's what makes so fascinating the success of Trump as an honest villain, an open sociopath who doesn't bother with affecting a conscience, doesn't even care if he remembers his own lines when dealing with his rubes, since he has learned that at least for the central purposes of a) fooling the marks and b) enraging the enemies, attitude and projection matter, mere words do not. The success of it, I mean: that is the fascinating part, not so much the used-car-dealer personality that most people see right through. Yet it still works.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Hmm, last time I posted this was six months ago. Now to reconsider it again. Then I was "leaning to a continuing stasis for some months that is likeliest to be interrupted by 4 or 6." More after the list...

JackRiddler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am wrote:
Just playing basically but I'm thinking the race is on for what becomes the defining turn in the {Trump regime] story.

Which happens first?

1. Factional machinations from within the deep realm ("deep state" is misleading here insofar as it suggests one entity) cause a rotation of Trump out and Pence in.

2. Trump finally succeeds with one of his self-implosions, or receives a crippling punch by the release of some new tape or easily digested business collusion proof.

3. An enabling event appears, or is fashioned out of some found domestic outrage or declared crisis abroad, and this either a) succeeds or b) fails in fashioning some form of emergency sovereignty pretext for the regime. (Obviously 3a is the Trump ideal and would be far the biggest immediate disaster and danger to all.)

4. The market crashes. (Just a matter of time, as always, but the current record-setting is usually a sound indicator. Trump buddy Carl Icahn apparently betting on a crash. Trump would be too, if he were not so firmly attached to the current labeling of a "Trump Rally.")

5. Some giant new outrage sparks a Tahrir Square. (A real one, not a Maidan, though some will want to spin it as the latter. Self-evidently the unlikeliest.)

6. International crisis not engineered by American-based interests engulfs the show.

#1 remains on and is heading for a possible climax before the summer. At this point it's not just factional machinations, Mueller may have real goods on obstruction or money laundering, though that's highly unlikely regarding "collusion" or the election-hack fantasies.

#2 is pretty much exhausted through the normalization process and the daily repetition of self-implosions followed by media mini-explosions, all serving to distract from real politics and immunize against real damage. Fronts are hardened. There's really nothing left for him to say, right up to and including, "I fucked Stormy Daniels, she loved it, so fucking what?" and "Yeah I'd like to nuke a few million subhumans to hell, who wouldn't?"

#3 seemed highly unlikely to me seven months ago, because of the regime's weak hold on the apparatus of power. In the meantime, that has solidified somewhat and the normalization process and the daily "incompetence" show also contribute to a readiness to believe whatever Enabling Event may come along and unite as flag-waving idiots behind the flag in the face of some transparent threat. The failure of the 9/11 truth movement (at least half due to the "movement" itself) contributes to that. So you get stuff like this article below, pretty much a clear warning!

#4 remains as in every other period of capitalism an inevitability of obscure timing that, however, no longer seems very imminent unless through a #6. There is too much damn cash sloshing about, too much exuberance among the carnivores thanks to the red-meat feast of the deregulations and tax cuts, and fuck, the leverage and bubble potentials ain't nowhere near strained yet. Things happen faster and faster, but unfortunately prior to the 2018 election seems unlikely for endogenous reasons.

#5, self-evidently the unlikeliest.

#6, still also always on the table, possibly in combo with a #3 or as the cause of a #4, but huge surprises just aren't likely because the only objectively crazy/delusional major power on the planet remains the US of A. The rest may be all possible shades of evil, kleptocratic, racist or in pursuit of fucked up objectives, but all have a rational sense of their actual power.

So that's the current status.

Now that article, Trump daydreaming Reichstag fires:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/t ... ajor-event

By — Yamiche Alcindor

Trump says it will be hard to unify country without a ‘major event’
Politics Jan 30, 2018 4:37 PM EST

Hours before his first State of the Union, President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he wants to unite the country amid “tremendous divisiveness” and hopes he can do so without a traumatic event affecting Americans.

Trump spoke about creating a more united country during a lunch with a number of television news anchors. Trump said the United States has long been divided, including during the impeachment of former president Bill Clinton. Trump also said that Americans usually come together during times of suffering.

“I would love to be able to bring back our country into a great form of unity,” Trump said. “Without a major event where people pull together, that’s hard to do. But I would like to do it without that major event because usually that major event is not a good thing.”

The president also said the country’s divisions date back to both Republican and Democratic administrations, citing the scandals that led to Clinton’s impeachment by the House in 1998.

“I want to see our country united. I want to bring our country back from a tremendous divisiveness, which has taken place not just over one year, over many years, including the Bush years, not just Obama.” he said.

Trump went on to say that uniting people would also be hard because of issues like health care, because some people want “free health care paid by the government” and others want “health care paid by private, where there’s great competition.”

The comments came as the president was putting the finishing touches on his first State of the Union address Tuesday night.

According to a White House official, Trump’s speech will be about 50 minutes long, and was written with help from H.R. McMaster, the national security advisor, Rob Porter, the White House staff secretary, Gary Cohn, the chief economic advisor, Stephen Miller, the senior policy advisor, and Ross Worthington and Vince Haley, who are both speechwriters.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby dada » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 pm

JackRiddler wrote:So you get stuff like this article below, pretty much a clear warning!

I wouldn't call that a warning. Just wishful thinking outloud. Not saying it wouldn't work like a charm. It would.

So, which happens first. I don't know. Wait, I'll look in my crystal ball. I see... people feverishly typing away on the internet. And shopping. Lots of shopping.

I think this thing is broken. Am I seeing the future or the past? I can't tell.

I tried shaking it, but now all I see is snow (it's really just a snoglobe)

Well, never mind that. I'm not one to prophecy, anyway. So I'll let chance choose our fate this time. I'll roll 1d6. Hang on

Funny, I got a "5. Some giant new outrage sparks a Tahrir Square. (A real one, not a Maidan, though some will want to spin it as the latter. Self-evidently the unlikeliest.)"

huh. Chance surprised me. What could possibly do that?

How about:

At long last, the big black budget UFO show gets the green light. Giant craft in the skies over the major cities, people hearing the voices of angels in their heads. But it fails spectacularly. The craft are obviously cheap vr, look as fake as a hologram rockstar. The angel's voices get static-y, you can hear the tech guys in the background. I think that would get everybody angry.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:13 pm

CNN, long ago, once asked a question for viewer response that was something like, which conspiracy theory would enrage you enough to take to the streets if it turned out to be true? Friend of mine says, decisively, "If the moon landing was fake!" And he was too young to have experienced it live. I think that one would do it. I like your scenario!

JackRiddler

Postby SonicG » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Didn't see this here, but just wrote some similar thoughts in the US nuke thread. Trump was openly fantasizing about a 911-type event or reason for more overt military action...Maybe floating a hint to pro-Trump deep state factions? And when it happens, the Trumpkins will fall in line behind whatever domestic fallout...martial law is better than Sharia law!

Or, indeed, he could be hinting at some form of disclosure...or "contact"...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Let's quote me again!

#4 remains as in every other period of capitalism an inevitability of obscure timing that, however, no longer seems very imminent unless through a #6. There is too much damn cash sloshing about, too much exuberance among the carnivores thanks to the red-meat feast of the deregulations and tax cuts, and fuck, the leverage and bubble potentials ain't nowhere near strained yet. Things happen faster and faster, but unfortunately prior to the 2018 election seems unlikely for endogenous reasons.

Interesting! Unlike in 2007-8, I have little idea about the proximate causes of what's going on since last week, or if it's going to stick around. But if you wanted proof this guy's stupid (as if needed), loudly bragging every day about how he's the reason for the motions of the DJIA has got to be close to Exhibit A.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:56 pm

And with this one let's go with a very right-wing site, so there's no mistaking:

Trump said Monday that Democratic lawmakers who did not applaud his State of the Union speech last week were "un-American" and "treasonous."

Trump, speaking in Ohio, recalled the silence from Democrats in Congress when he praised low unemployment among African-Americans and Hispanics.

"They would rather see Trump do badly, OK, than our country do well. That's what it means, it's very selfish," he said. "It got to a point where I really didn't even want to look too much during the speech over to that side, because honestly it was bad energy. No, it was bad energy.

"You're up there and you have half the room going totally crazy wild. They loved everything, they want to do something great for our country," he continued. "And you have the other side, even on positive news, really positive news like that, they were like death. And un-American, un-American."

Trump added: "Somebody said treasonous. I mean, yeah, I guess why not. Can we call that treason? Why not. They certainly didn't seem to love our country very much."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump ... le/2648145

JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 am

"They certainly didn't seem to love our country very much."

In other words, Trump equates himself with the State.

Fasten seat belts, etc.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 pm

So very relevant, cross-posting:

82_28 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm wrote:'What We Did Was a Scam': The Apprentice Creators Give Behind the Scenes Reveal of Trump's Show

In the recently released Netflix documentary The Confidence Man, two creators of The Apprentice discuss creating the “character” of Donald Trump as a billionaire business tycoon.

“What we did, that was a scam,” says producer Bill Pruitt. “That was an entertainment.”

Pruitt describes Trump’s real office within New York’s Trump Tower as dated, so the show built the boardroom where Trump uttered the now famous line “You’re Fired!” The famous boardroom was a set based on the classy, high-powered office portrayed in the movie Network.

“If you walked around Trump’s actual office in Trump Tower you’d see the wood’s chipped, and what’s that smell?” says Pruitt in the film. “It wasn’t the empire we were going to have to sell to people. We needed to gussy it up a bit. And we did.”

The Confidence Man, directed by Fisher Stevens (Bright Lights), is the final episode of the Alex Gibney-created docuseries Dirty Money. It contends that Trump the tycoon is really a myth created by the infamous self-promoter, his visibility spread wide with continued mentions in articles, TV commercials and network interviews.

But Trump declined to partake in this project. In a statement from the series’ producers, “the producers reached out to The White House last summer, as recommended by the SVP of the Trump Organization, inviting President Trump to participate and allow him to tell his own story for the episode. The White House never responded to their request.”

The New York gossip columnist AJ Benza recalls that Trump gave him dirt on the Manhattan nightlife scene in exchange for labeling him a billionaire.

“He wanted to be paid back in a particular way, regardless of what you mentioned,” says Benza in the film. “He never really cared as long as you said the word ‘billionaire.’ “

The reality, the film contends, is that by the early 1990s, The Trump Organization was facing over $3 billion of debt and its three Atlantic City casinos went bankrupt; in the following years leading to The Apprentice, Trump “was a man in trouble.”

“We wanted to show people that Donald Trump is not a good businessman when it comes to building a company and managing a company,” Stevens tells PEOPLE, “and I wanted to say how how scary it is that he is running the country because he doesn’t do due diligence on any of his deals.”

Timothy O’Brien, a Trump biographer, says in the film that his 2005 book, TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald, claimed that Trump was worth between $150 million to $250 million, far from being a billionaire. (Trump sued O’Brien a decade ago for libel, and lost.)

When banks were hesitant to loan Trump money due to multiple bank defaults and bankruptcies, The Confidence Man tells how Trump made licensing deals that put his name on a wide assortment of properties, giving the impression that he was king of a vast empire. On this premise he created the now-defunct Trump University, which in 2016 settled a $25 million fraud case.

“Trump’s brilliance to me is that he has incredible charisma,” Stevens tells PEOPLE. “He is a TV star and knows how to build his brand.”

And that brand, of course, led to his role on The Apprentice, as a real estate “billionaire” — and described by the show’s initial contestants as “practically a god.”

“The Apprentice overnight repositioned him in the American imagination as the embodiment of deal making savvy, capable entrepreneur, and business success,” says O’Brien.

At the time, contends the film, few knew just how much Trump desperately needed the show. In The Confidence Man, Apprentice supervising editor Jonathan Braun asks Pruitt if Trump treated the first season as a joke.

Says Pruitt: “It was one of his many things that day to save his empire.”

“Without The Apprentice, he would never be president, and using reality television as a platform [improved] his image,” Stevens tells PEOPLE. “But that was not who he really is. He is a character, like on a TV show.”

As Braun says in the film, “We didn’t think that so many people would look at it and go, ‘That’s real, this guy’s amazing.’ “

http://people.com/politics/apprentice-c ... rump-scam/

In the recently released Netflix documentary The Confidence Man, two creators of The Apprentice discuss creating the “character” of Donald Trump as a billionaire business tycoon.

“What we did, that was a scam,” says producer Bill Pruitt. “That was an entertainment.”

[...]

“But that was not who he really is. He is a character, like on a TV show.”

I think a reality show producer can understand kayfabe. That character is what he is, permanently.

And what they did in helping him to shape and promote that character would not have been morally more excusable if it had not had the unintended consequence of making him into the president. (As if they would have canceled it if anyone had told them, back when it was a top-rated show and they were raking in the cash.) The project in itself, the concerns and values it promoted, was odious enough.

As Braun says in the film, “We didn’t think that so many people would look at it and go, ‘That’s real, this guy’s amazing.’"

They do and they don't believe that. The pleasure derived from the spectacle is more important than assessing its reality, and the pleasure can be derived even while knowing it's not real. Television has done more to create this situation than any other single institution of the last 100 years.

Not, obviously, that this sort of cheap proudly stupid demagogue riding constructed legends to popularity and power during a crisis period has not happened in times before TV. Fuck, this is what Marx was writing about in The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte.

JackRiddler

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am

Jack, your No. 1 Seems realistic. But regarding No. 2, I do not believe there could possibly be a true unifying event that would serve to draw such diametrically opposed ideologies as our left and right factions are these days. if it was a catastrophic systems collapse, it would cause the opposite, don't you think?

Elvis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 am wrote:
In other words, Trump equates himself with the State.

The man is so very vain and even more so, insecure. He knows he's out of his league - look how often he wraps his arms around himself. It's sad, really. Like most of us, he just doesn't want to be forgotten, as if that were possible. He'll always be remembered for being the most appalling President to ever hold office.
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am

Jerky » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 pm wrote:Holy Hell.

I hadn't realized that Bitcoin Fever was taking up so much of the Internet's (and thus the planet's) resources. I mean, I haven't really given Bitcoin much thought, seeing as I currently am not in a position to invest (and probably wouldn't if I was, despite the FOMO being somewhat triggered in me recently), but goddamn. Does crypto really result in THAT much necessary over-computation?! I guess it does. I must defer to more knowledgeable folks and trust in their take on this one, seeing as I have yet to reach the "Experts Don't Know Shit" threshold in my own personal post-Postmodernization phase.

Anyone here own any Bitcoin? I know a few people who are buying in LARGE. It took a pretty big tumble today, I see... down from 20KUS$ to just over 15KUS$.

J

Bitcoin energy use in Iceland set to overtake homes, says local firm

By Chris Baraniuk Technology reporter
A geothermal energy plant in IcelandAFP
Nearly 100% of energy in Iceland comes from renewable sources
Iceland is facing an "exponential" rise in Bitcoin mining that is gobbling up power resources, a spokesman for Icelandic energy firm HS Orka has said.

This year, electricity use at Bitcoin mining data centres is likely to exceed that of all Iceland's homes, according to Johann Snorri Sigurbergsson.

He said many potential customers were keen to get in on the act.

"If all these projects are realised, we won't have enough energy for it," he told the BBC.

Mr Sigurbergsson's calculations were first reported by the Associated Press.

Iceland has a small population, of around 340,000 people.

But in recent years it has seen a marked increase in the number of new data centres, often built by firms wishing to tout green credentials. Nearly 100% of energy in Iceland comes from renewable sources.

Bitcoin mining refers to the work done by computers connected to the global Bitcoin network.

These computers solve complex mathematical problems - a process that in turn validates transactions between users of the crypto-currency.

The computers that do this validation work receive small Bitcoin rewards for their trouble, making it a lucrative exercise, especially when done at a large scale.

'Exponential growth'

"What we're seeing now is... you can almost call it exponential growth, I think, in the [energy] consumption of data centres," said Mr Sigurbergsson.

He added that he expects Bitcoin mining operations will use around 840 gigawatt hours of electricity to supply data centre computers and cooling systems, for example.

He estimated that the county's homes, in contrast, use around 700 gigawatt hours every year.

"I don't see it stopping quite yet," added Mr Sigurbergsson, referring to data centre projects.

Bitcoin explained: How do cryptocurrencies work?
"I'm getting a lot of calls, visits from potential investors or companies wanting to build data centres in Iceland."

He also said that there are so many proposed data centres that it wouldn't be possible to supply all of them.

He added that his firm was mostly interested in dealing with companies that were willing to commit to long-term contracts of a few years or more.

If Iceland took on all of the proposed Bitcoin mining ventures, there simply wouldn't be enough electricity to supply them all, he added.

Johann Snorri SigurbergssonHS Orka
Johann Snorri Sigurbergsson says there is so much demand for Bitcoin mining data centres in Iceland that the country wouldn't have enough electricity to supply them all were they to be built
The crypto-currency mining industry in Iceland was recently given a boost thanks to the launch of The Moonlite Project - a large data centre where various crypto-currencies, including Bitcoin, will be mined.

It is set to open later this year and will have an initial capacity of 15 megawatts, though this is expected to increase in the future.

Some have questioned how beneficial the rise of the crypto-currency mining will be to Iceland.

Smari McCarthy, a member of the Icelandic parliament for the Pirate Party, tweeted: "Cryptocurrency mining requires almost no staff, very little in capital investments, and mostly leaves no taxes either.

"The value to Iceland... is virtually zero."

He also clarified previous reports that quoted him as saying he was keen to tax Bitcoin mining firms.

It has previously been reported that the electricity demand of the world's total combined Bitcoin mining operations may now exceed the energy use of the Republic of Ireland, though this calculation may not be entirely accurate.

But as crypto-currencies rise in popularity, mining operations certainly continue to use more and more resources - recent analysis of European energy use in 2017 by campaign group Sandbag noted that Bitcoin mining was contributing to additional power demand in the technology sector.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43030677
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 am

Where the intended systemic operation failed, "Trump" has been turned into a truly frightening substitute, authored both by the media/state system and by the scam-artist insurgent fascist (he is, sorry, and committedly racist is what he was already in the NY media in the 1980s, never a question) now heading the Exact Same Republicans As Ever. Everything is directed to the now more than two-year-old show like no mass-24/7 brainwash operation ever before, it exceeds them all (topping the attention levels of such past hits as "America Held Hostage," "O.J. Simpson," "Monica, Bill and Ken Did Not Have Sex," "9/11," and "Kill Saddam WMD Saddam 9/11 Saddam Kill Kill Kill"). The show itself has a will of its own and can actually cause a nuclear war. Otherwise the actual government accompanying it is enacting a triple-boost of the exact same neoliberalism on a Mars rocket, the exact same imperialism with extra extra war, and every form of old social barbarity unleashed at once, targeting all of the weak and outside and exposed in every way available and striving to make it all permanent and irreversible. I am seriously, food boxes and deregulate Satan and transfer all titles to sixteen alpha males and appoint 39-year-old nazi judges for life and burn burn the forests and melt the icecaps CLOSE OUT SALE NOW NOW NOW.

JackRiddler

Postby kelley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 am

what was the intended systemic operation again?

please remind me

because that's a good good good rant

:lol: :lol: :lol:
kelley

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm

R's are reduced to a 'smash and grab' operation.- I've heard that comment a few weeks ago.
We get our social safety net and oversight smashed while they do the grabbing.
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion