Why Establishment Selected Trump?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Why Establishment Selected Trump?

Postby divideandconquer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:53 am

First Brexit, now "anti-establishment" President Trump. At least that's what the establishment wants us to believe, because Trump is anything but anti-establishment. The American public, not to mention, the UK, is being set up, making them think that their vote really counts when it does not. So what's really going on?
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Why Establishment Selected Trump?

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:35 pm

I keep wondering this myself. See my response in the general election results thread. Maybe it's just time to kick this full-tilt control into action.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby operator kos » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi everyone. I haven't posted her in quite a while. I guess that's because there's just been this slow, steady march into neo-fascism where nothing jumped out at me as really deserving comment. It was also just dreary and depressing and predictable. The election of Trump truly surprised me though. I was 99% sure that the Establishment had selected Hillary and would see her in office come hell or high water. They certainly had the means to do so with voting machine shenanigans (many of which were owned by open Hillary supporters). Wall Street overtly supporter her. There seemed to be a faction of the intelligence community that was against her, but at the end of the day the FBI gave her the stamp of approval. The military seemed to be in her camp. The freakin Bush family endorsed her. Trump himself was so ridiculous that he seemed like a Hillary plant.

So what's going on? Did They just heck up? Did their pet clown get out of control and the popular vote was so in his favor that they weren't able to convincingly give Hillary the victory? Or was this the plan all along? And to what end? To polarize American society to never-before-seen heights? Are they really pushing for race war / civil war in order to clamp down hard? I don't think it would actually come to that, but the threat of it would be enough. What are your thoughts?
operator kos

Postby DrEvil » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:18 pm

I think it was a case of the establishment not realizing just how much people hate them, and how fucking stupid people can be in general. They got lazy, thinking that Trump will never get elected because Reasons. Same as with Brexit.

As they say: assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:28 pm

DrEvil » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:18 am wrote:I think it was a case of the establishment not realizing just how much people hate them, and how fucking stupid people can be in general. They got lazy, thinking that Trump will never get elected because Reasons. Same as with Brexit.

I pretty much agree.

1. Anti-establishment / DC outsider sentiments of frustration and hate and twisted patriotism.

2. Stupid people / voters that are proud and fearfully protective of their ignorance.

3. Failure of Establishment to provide a viable moderate candidate; distain toward voters that needed to be retained to win a national election; and belief in theor own propaganda tossed by the captured media.
PufPuf93

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Why did the establishment select Trump? I wrote my hypothesis back in June. They want, "Faster, please." Trump will deliver that. And he'll get great ratings for the media. Win/win for TPTB.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby brekin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:54 pm

PufPuf93 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:28 pm wrote:
DrEvil » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:18 am wrote:I think it was a case of the establishment not realizing just how much people hate them, and how fucking stupid people can be in general. They got lazy, thinking that Trump will never get elected because Reasons. Same as with Brexit.

I pretty much agree.

1. Anti-establishment / DC outsider sentiments of frustration and hate and twisted patriotism.
2. Stupid people / voters that are proud and fearfully protective of their ignorance.
3. Failure of Establishment to provide a viable moderate candidate; distain toward voters that needed to be retained to win a national election; and belief in theor own propaganda tossed by the captured media.

Yup. This is proof that people do not really operate fully out of desire for their own self interest. This is was a like a collective self harm episode of the body politic. I think the desire to punish, harm, send a message, humiliate, get even, with those who are perceived as getting preferential treatment (wall street, insiders, minorities, women, the establishment, the elite, celebrities, professionals, etc.) won over what was best for those already feeling left behind. The little guy just elected the archetypal slumlord and evil corporate downsizer (your fired!). I think many are willing to sacrifice their stake as long as they can watch some of those they resent suffer. Trump has given them as much with his Empire of Dirt so far. He's delivered up the hurt so far. The little guy can understand that language, and it is compelling coming from someone who is already is succesfull and does it even at the expense of everything else. There will be blood.

You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:09 pm

The story here is not that the establishment chose either one. A smaller set of factions in it absolutely did back Trump, sensing the opportunity, while a larger set backed Clinton, fearing instability. The former are pirates, so they're seeing a golden age of plunder starting today.

The U.S. establishment is in a crisis. This is not a crisis yet of control over the institutions, or of a revolutionary challenge to their class as a whole. It is one of their own vision. They don't know how to respond as a class to the world as it has developed around them. They are in internal confusion. They may crack up. This ideological (for now) putsch by the gang who coalesced around Trump was made possible by this crisis.

By the way, did Trump get the highest share of the votes? No, he did not. No he did not.

But what is the establishment, anyway? Perhaps your question lacks for a definition. Here is mine:

The establishment may be a useful term in describing a concentration of institutional power and awesome wealth in a small minority, a class, such that the members of this class cumulatively tend to be generationally stable (a large share of them are born into it), broadly similar in world-view, well networked among themselves, share certain broad interests, and get to make the important decisions about how industry is developed, land and resources are used, policy is made, jobs are distributed, and to a large extent how the world itself is perceived by the majority who go through the schools and grow up in the culture. While consensus building processes tend to create coherence within this establishment, it does not meet as a council to choose who wins a U.S. election. (Some smaller, deeper bodies within the establishment have tried to function this way, as in the watershed elections of 2000 and of course November 1963.) Their choices are more along the lines of how the system around the election is arranged: maintenance of the for-profit private corporate ownership system of Wall Street, MIC, media system, food system, international trade and capital flows, and everything else; what is legal in terms of lobbying and campaign finance; what issues are considered to matter; what is a worthy voter, etc. etc.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Much like Trump benefiting from tax policy, the wealth and political Establishment on all sides of the aisle will likely willfully benefit as a whole from Trump as POTUS (regards taxation, government regulation, etc.).

The distribution of wealth and power may differ but the descent into global feudalism will march on.

Will be interesting if Trump leads a major investment in infrastructure - public expenditure, building of private fortune, and privatization are likely parts of a Trump led infrastructure initiative.

The Establishment as a whole is likely to benefit in short and long term from a Trump style investment in infrastructure.

I personally strongly support investment in infrastructure but what is likely to happen more likely favors wealth and power - The Establishment - more than a infrastructure investment under say a Sander's administration.

That the GOP also will control both houses of Congress and several USSC nominations over the next several years is troubling.

Trump has already surrounded himself with some personalities (Ghouliani, Christie, Newt, etc.) but what will be interesting is that I expect some strong personalities to come to prominence out of the ether.
PufPuf93

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:07 pm

operator kos » 09 Nov 2016 18:14 wrote:Hi everyone. I haven't posted her in quite a while. I guess that's because there's just been this slow, steady march into neo-fascism where nothing jumped out at me as really deserving comment. It was also just dreary and depressing and predictable. The election of Trump truly surprised me though. I was 99% sure that the Establishment had selected Hillary and would see her in office come hell or high water. They certainly had the means to do so with voting machine shenanigans (many of which were owned by open Hillary supporters). Wall Street overtly supporter her. There seemed to be a faction of the intelligence community that was against her, but at the end of the day the FBI gave her the stamp of approval. The military seemed to be in her camp. The freakin Bush family endorsed her. Trump himself was so ridiculous that he seemed like a Hillary plant.

So what's going on? Did They just heck up? Did their pet clown get out of control and the popular vote was so in his favor that they weren't able to convincingly give Hillary the victory? Or was this the plan all along? And to what end? To polarize American society to never-before-seen heights? Are they really pushing for race war / civil war in order to clamp down hard? I don't think it would actually come to that, but the threat of it would be enough. What are your thoughts?

You have pretty much echoed my exact thoughts on this.

I had been 100% convinced that this whole election was a completely orchestrated farce to install Clinton come hell or high water. I thought Trump was foisted upon us because he was the only buffoon scary and clownish enough to lose to evil queen Clinton.

Now I don't know what to think. The only upside I can see for our ruling class is increased rancor and division among this Disunited States of America's have nots. Rednecks vs. reds! Black Lives vs. Crackers! We are not the exploiters you are looking for!
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:10 pm

PufPuf93 » 09 Nov 2016 18:28 wrote:

I pretty much agree.

So they just didn't bother to cheat because they didn't think it was necessary?
stickdog99

Postby Morty » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Thinking out loud, maybe the republicans have never given the dems the black box codes?
Morty

Postby 2012 Countdown » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:20 pm

If as we all assume (I assume) and suspect its all rigged, then It is the puzzle.

So far no one has come up with a convincing case, but I have no answer.
As I'd said in other spots, much as I so wished it were not so, I can believe it was actually legit.
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:22 pm

And sure the rich will continue to get richer under Trump.

But economic inequality accelerated under Obama and would have continued that acceleration under Clinton.

Maybe this could serve as cover for Wall Street and other corporatist elites? As in "Don't blame me. I was with her."

Maybe our coming pain will be scapegoated on Trumpian anti-globalism?
stickdog99

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:00 pm

I have no idea. But it feels like 9/11. Except many many more people will suffer.

9/11/01 <---------> 11/9/16
§ê¢rꆧ

Next

Return to General Discussion