The Rise of Bigot America Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Rise of Bigot America Thread

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 am

thanks Cordelia

Cordelia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am wrote:Study released today:

Filed 5:30 a.m.

Analysis

Killings of Black Men by Whites are Far More Likely to be Ruled “Justifiable”

The disparity remains no matter the circumstances and has persisted for decades.

When a white person kills a black man in America, the killer often faces no legal consequences.

In one in six of these killings, there is no criminal sanction, according to a new Marshall Project examination of 400,000 homicides committed by civilians between 1980 and 2014. That rate is far higher than the one for homicides involving other combinations of races.

In almost 17 percent of cases when a black man was killed by a non-Hispanic white civilian over the last three decades, the killing was categorized as justifiable, which is the term used when a police officer or a civilian kills someone committing a crime or in self-defense. Overall, the police classify fewer than 2 percent of homicides committed by civilians as justifiable.

The disparity persists across different cities, different ages, different weapons and different relationships between killer and victim.

To understand the gaps, The Marshall Project obtained dozens of data sets from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and examined various combinations of killer and victim. Two types of “justifiable homicide” are noted: “felon killed by private citizen” or “felon killed by police officer.” (In a bit of circular logic, the person killed is presumptively classified as a felon, since the homicide could be justified only if a life was threatened, which is a crime.)

Continued...
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017 ... .WpWkz5jOd
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 pm

"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Morty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 am wrote:
Iamwhomiam wrote:Morty, the permit was for a demonstration at the monument. Not for 1,000 racists marching bearing torches the night before. In denying the inflammatory nature and provocative symbolism of 1,000 white torchbearers marching at night, one misses the point of the demonstration entirely. Free Hate Speech. They got a right to their say just as does anyone else, including asshat mayors.

The right wing meme pushers are the ones saying they were given no protection, while at the same time recording his separate interaction, Spencer's begging the cops to go away. The cops didn't leave. Links to the videos I posted.

The mayor offered his statement after the 20 year old racist mowed down a crowd of counter protestors, killing one young woman and seriously injuring more than a dozen others. And you Morty, you defend the mindset that created and allowed this obscene violence to occur.

The mayor posted his statement on facebook at 12.11pm on Saturday. He was criticising the gathering without permit of the night before, and the coming demonstration of that day, i.e. before the violence occurred, I'm pretty sure. His post has 1000 likes and 600 shares. So I'd argue I'm doing the precise opposite of what you say I'm doing - I'm attacking one aspect of "the mindset that created and allowed this obscene violence to occur," not defending it.

Morty, about that sentence of mine you've quoted that I set into bold typeface: I apologize for my error in reporting the timing of Mayor Signer's FB comment.

Signer's comment was published much before the fatal auto attack on Sunday, on Friday evening, but after the violence had erupted at the end illegal tiki torch march on the UVA campus.
According to my FB page, and I'm in the same time zone as Charlottesville, is 7:11 PM on Friday, the 11th
Mike Signer
August 11 at 7:11pm ·

Statement on the Rally at the University of Virginia

I have seen tonight the images of torches on the Grounds of the University of Virginia. When I think of torches, I want to think of the Statue of Liberty. When I think of candelight, I want to think of prayer vigils. Today, in 2017, we are instead seeing a cowardly parade of hatred, bigotry, racism, and intolerance march down the lawns of the architect of our Bill of Rights. Everyone has a right under the First Amendment to express their opinion peaceably, so here's mine: not only as the Mayor of Charlottesville, but as a UVA faculty member and alumnus, I am beyond disgusted by this unsanctioned and despicable display of visual intimidation on a college campus.
956 Likes132 Comments599 Shares

Here's a link to a timeline of events, from Thursday thru Sunday, with links embedded for further reading:

http://wset.com/news/local/timeline-of-events-for-unite-the-right-rally-in-charlottesville

I hope you too, will note your error in misplacing the correct timing of events.

Considering now that Mayor Signer's statement was issued after the illegal torch march and the violence it brought to the UVA campus at its culmination, perhaps you'll recognize the Mayor's statement as timely and and an appropriate condemnation of that violence? Signer's statement mentioned nothing at all about the next day's (Saturday's) permitted rally, excepting that everyone had a right to be heard, peaceably.

If not, my earlier comment stands: "And you Morty, you defend the mindset that created and allowed this obscene violence to occur."
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm

FBI and DHS Warned of Growing Threat From White Supremacists Months Ago

Trump doesn't want to call out white supremacists. The FBI already did.

BY JANA WINTERAUGUST 14, 2017

FBI and DHS Warned of Growing Threat From White Supremacists Months Ago
The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security in May warned that white supremacist groups had already carried out more attacks than any other domestic extremist group over the past 16 years and were likely to carry out more attacks over the next year, according to an intelligence bulletin obtained by Foreign Policy.

Even as President Donald Trump continues to resist calling out white supremacists for violence, federal law enforcement has made clear that it sees these types of domestic extremists as a severe threat. The report, dated May 10, says the FBI and DHS believe that members of the white supremacist movement “likely will continue to pose a threat of lethal violence over the next year.”

The “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, which attracted hundreds of white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and other members of the so-called alt-right, sparked violent clashes over the weekend. A woman, Heather Heyer, was killed by a car that drove into a crowd of people protesting the rally.

James Alex Fields Jr., the driver of the vehicle that struck Heyer, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

Since the outbreak of violence over the weekend, President Trump has been heavily criticized for not condemning racist groups. “We must remember this truth: No matter our color, creed, religion or political party, we are ALL AMERICANS FIRST,” he tweeted.

The FBI, on the other hand, has already concluded that white supremacists, including neo-Nazi supporters and members of the Ku Klux Klan, are in fact responsible for the lion’s share of violent attacks among domestic extremist groups. White supremacists “were responsible for 49 homicides in 26 attacks from 2000 to 2016 … more than any other domestic extremist movement,” reads the joint intelligence bulletin.

The report, titled “White Supremacist Extremism Poses Persistent Threat of Lethal Violence,” was prepared by the FBI and DHS.

The bulletin’s numbers appear to correspond with outside estimates. An independent database compiled by the Investigative Fund at the Nation Institute found that between 2008 and 2016, far-right plots and attacks outnumbered Islamist incidents by almost 2 to 1.

The cases cited in the intelligence report include an 18-year-old Chinese student in Nashville, Indiana, who was attacked by a white supremacist with a hatchet; the murder of an African-American man in Fort Wayne, Indiana; and the stabbing of Klansman in East Yanceyville, North Carolina, by other KKK members, who believed the victim was Jewish and secretly working for law enforcement.

An FBI spokesperson said it was bureau policy not to comment on specific intelligence products but added that as “part of the continuous dialogue with our law enforcement partners, the FBI routinely shares information about potential threats to better enable law enforcement to protect the communities they serve.”

DHS did not respond to a request for comment on the document, but provided a general statement on recent events. “DHS personnel have been in contact with Virginia state and local law enforcement to offer any assistance necessary to deal with [Saturday’s] horrible violent incident in Charlottesville,” wrote a DHS spokesperson.http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/14/fbi ... onths-ago/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Cordelia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

:thumbsup Yep; Here’s one such, Virginia's own slick Gov. McAuliffe, at Mt. Zion First African Baptist Church in Charlottesville yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPmufJBClQg
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 pm

He's just great. /s

I saw a great academic paper years back exploring how this sort of visit by white politicians first emerged during Reconstruction. Wish I had a bookmark for it.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Alex Jones Says Charlottesville ‘Looks Staged,’ Recalls Jews Posing As Nazis
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/j ... conspiracy
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

^^^^ They pulled the first hour-long video. I posted Jones making the remarks a few pages back.

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF80eMyWQ34[/url]
Iamwhomiam

Postby Morty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote:Here's a link to a timeline of events, from Thursday thru Sunday, with links embedded for further reading:

http://wset.com/news/local/timeline-of-events-for-unite-the-right-rally-in-charlottesville

I hope you too, will note your error in misplacing the correct timing of events.

Considering now that Mayor Signer's statement was issued after the illegal torch march and the violence it brought to the UVA campus at its culmination, perhaps you'll recognize the Mayor's statement as timely and and an appropriate condemnation of that violence? Signer's statement mentioned nothing at all about the next day's (Saturday's) permitted rally, excepting that everyone had a right to be heard, peaceably.

If not, my earlier comment stands: "And you Morty, you defend the mindset that created and allowed this obscene violence to occur."

Iamwhoiam, I wasn't aware that the Friday evening march ended in violence. Even more reason for the mayor to be preaching non-violence rather than preaching anti-hate hate. He's a public figure, and immediately prior to the main event his comments only served to fueled tensions. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Morty

Postby Morty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Interesting juxtaposition:

Michael Tracey‏Verified account @mtracey 3h3 hours ago

Michael Tracey Retweeted ACLU of Virginia

McAuliffe blaming @ACLUVA for the violence in Charlottesville -- while lavishing praise on police -- is pathetic

Michael Tracey added,
ACLU of VirginiaVerified account @ACLUVA
BREAKING: We respond to @GovernorVA 's allegations that the ACLU is responsible for violence in #Charlottesville : https://acluva.org/20108/aclu-of-virgin ... ttesville/

26 replies 137 retweets 233 likes

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/14/heres ... ttesville/
Here’s How Virginia State Police Facilitated Violence At Charlottesville

Pax Dickinson
CEO, Counter.Fund

As an attendee of the Unite The Right rally and scheduled speaker, I have serious questions about the actions of Virginia police on Saturday. It appears that police created a dangerous situation which was entirely avoidable. I will explain in detail the facts of what happened.

One does not need to support any of the positions of the alt-right to be concerned about what this means about the state of free speech in America.

[insert pic of Lee Park Charlottesville here]
This is Lee Park in Charlottesville, as it was laid out for Saturday’s rally. The red lines indicate the position of metal barriers. The rally had a legally issued permit, revoked by the city a week before but reinstated by a Federal judge the day before the rally. The barricade layout was as police described to organizers it would be, and speakers received a briefing on this the day before. Virginia State Police commandeered the north side of the park. No one was allowed in that half of the park except a few rally people handling the audio equipment. Police also controlled the streets around the park on three sides: Jefferson St. to the north, 1st St. to the west, and 2nd St. to the east.

Market St. to the south was an uncontrolled chaos full of antifa. The south end of the park is a small hill. Exits 1 & 2 were both short concrete stairways. Speaker and rally attendees arrived via Market St. from the east, protected by police.

When I arrived I was funneled into Exit 1 and up into Pen 1. Shortly after I was able to get around the State Police dividing the pens to the south and made my way into Pen 2, which contained the audio setup for those planned to speak at the rally.

Both exit stairs were defended by rally attendees with shields, and antifa skirmished with them at each stairway. Contact between the two sides was isolated to those positions and relatively under control from my vantage point. Within Pen 2 people felt relatively relaxed and we chatted and socialized while waiting for noon for the rally proper to start.

Shortly after all rally attendees were present in the park, word began to spread that a State of Emergency had been declared, presumably by Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe. At my position in Pen 2, people were confused by this. It seemed unnecessary and preemptive since the rally seemed fairly well under control at this point. It was about 11:30 a.m., and the rally was not scheduled to start until noon.

After some minutes of confusion and rumors, Virginia State Police got on a loudspeaker and announced that we had been declared an unlawful assembly. We were instructed to leave the park, and told that anyone refusing to do so would be arrested.

Attendees began attempting to leave via exits 1 & 2 and were set upon by antifa as they attempted to do so. After a quick consultation, a small group of rally headliners and attendees decided to engage in civil disobedience and get ourselves arrested, myself included.

We told our security teams to leave the park to avoid arrest, while Virginia State Police began forming a shield wall at the north end of the park. The pens were nearly empty at this point, except for those planning to be arrested and a few people still attempting to run the antifa gauntlet at the stairs to escape from the park.

The VSP shield wall began advancing south, and we linked arms and held our ground. We told police we refused to leave and planned to engage in civil disobedience. We were respectful and informed them we would not resist arrest but we refused to leave the park willingly.

The shield wall advanced on us and began to shove our line. We stood firm and held our ground for a few minutes. Police on the line did not say a word and refused to arrest us while shoving with their shields and swinging them at us.

After a few minutes of shoving, our line was pepper-sprayed from a cop behind the police shield wall, and our resistance crumbled. Being near the end of the line, I was not sprayed directly. The spray drifted in the wind onto my arms and face but my eyes remained clear.

We retreated through the western barricade but police on 1st St. would not let us onto the street forced us to retreat south. We’re pushed through the barricade at the south end of 1st St. and onto Market St., which was lined on both sides with mobs of screaming antifa with no police presence whatsoever.

We ran west on Market St, running a gauntlet of antifa throwing bottles, sticks, and rocks. Two people I believe were nearly blinded by pepper spray. I followed them closely but then dropped back as the crowd hurled everything they had at another protest headliner, luckily missing with most of it.

After running a few blocks west, we reached the intersection of Market and Preston, where a shield wall had been set up by rally attendees on a grass strip alongside Market St. Casualties were being tended there, including multiple heavily bleeding scalp wounds and pepper spray injuries. Luckily all the injuries seemed superficial except one man with a very bad head injury who seems to be going in and out of consciousness.

From there the bulk of the rally attendees were able to march north and eventually reached the relative safety of MacIntyre Park, about two miles away, but many had been scattered throughout the city by the chaos of the dispersal.

At that point the police had completely lost control of the city. The State of Emergency order meant that any public gathering was de facto illegal, but antifa were still allowed to roam freely bearing weapons and attacking people. This chaos ultimately led directly to the vehicular incident that killed a woman and badly injured more than a dozen others.

My conclusions are that police wanted this to happen. It’s clear that VSP had specific orders to drive us out of the park to the south, into the teeth of violent armed antifa counter-protesters.

Police could have easily separated the barricades and removed all rally participants to the north, away from antifa and into empty streets fully controlled by law enforcement. We were driven into a hostile situation intentionally. It’s impossible not to believe that the authorities issuing these orders knew exactly what would happen and that they wanted rally attendees to be harmed and possibly killed.

There was an assumption that police would allow a retreat to the north in the event of a rally cancellation, no one imagined the police would choose to facilitate a clearly violent situation and force the two sides into uncontrolled contact. This looks like it was done with the intent to deny civil rights of a legal protest, in direct defiance of a federal court order. We were set up and trapped, then pushed into a kill zone full of hostile armed enemies. Every injury at this event was due to to the nonsensical withdrawal order of the police.

National Guard (or possibly feds? It’s unclear) had a viewing post atop the funeral home at the corner of 1st and Market, equipped with several cameras. That video will corroborate my story if released.

I got out relatively unscathed, my relatively mild (but still very painful) pepper spraying was my only injury. I was lucky, but many others were not so lucky. Serious questions need to be asked about who gave this order and why the rally participants were not extracted to the north, away from antifa. The opposing sides could have been kept apart very easily, but police chose not to keep the sides apart.

Governor Terry McAuliffe and the Virginia State Police have blood on their hands, and they must be held to account for that.

Apparently author Pax Dickinson had his twitter account suspended after posting this version of events on twitter.
Morty

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:42 pm

CORNEL WEST: The antifascists, and then, crucial, the anarchists, because they saved our lives, actually. We would have been completely crushed, and I’ll never forget that. Meaning what? Meaning that you had the police holding back, on the one hand, so we couldn’t even get arrested. We were there to get arrested. We couldn’t get arrested, because the police had pulled back, and just allowing fellow citizens to go at each other, you see, and with all of the consequences that would follow therefrom.

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/8/14/cornel_west_rev_toni_blackmon_clergy
Burnt Hill

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 am

Cornell West is amazing. Scary he was, from what I read, addressing a black congregation right near where the hundreds of torch bearing nazis were on Friday night. Just like in the 1950s/1960s southern hostilities by racists, they dont care if their perceived enemies believed in their same god.

Whats truly remarkable is that this "alt right" now, or what y'all on RI first uncovered a few years ago as "the dark enlightenment", has finally united to unveil what it truly is(the new militant neo nazis)
but that publicly they are feigning being butthurt and whining how their "civil rights and free speech were violated".

But as we see, infiltrators into the WN/alt right involved in the rally have shown thru screengrabs and screenvideo that privately they celebrated the death of that 32 year old and two cops,
and want a race war. Because, of course. WAR, Aryan Nations, Hammer Skins, etc might not be around or prominent, but the new nazis want the same thing. The media shouldnt let the
khakis fool them

At least the nazi terrorists in Europe in the 80s/90s and the American nazi skins back then were honest: they wanted a race war and genocide. This footsie wink and nod shit by the "alt right"
is an afront to their ideological brethren from just a decade ago. Of course, the full on WP/1488/rahowa groups were shoulder to shoulder with them(including one the terrorist with the car belonged to)

But dark shit is coming. Maybe it will be foolish FBI stings of radicalized white nationalists and wannabe mcveigh types going haywire, or more Dylan Roofs and Anders Breiviks or all sorts of stuff.
The kid who killed that woman with his car is a perfect example of how young kids are being radicalized first with "ironic" nazi/holocaust memes and cartoons online, and then sucked into a vortex of
hate til it ends up being "lone wolf" real terrorism. Like in Portland on the metro train recently. Ya got Daily Stormer's main financial backer behind that hideous hate filled show "Million $ Extreme" that
Adult Swim Cartoon Network allowed for a whole season last year, further pushing white nationalist tropes and wink and nod shit. Ya got Gorka in the white house calling hate crimes "false flags" and wearing a Hungarian Nazi pin.

Yes, Ive been critical of some of the modern social justice movement and politically correct culture, and still feel some of that has added gasoline and casus beli to this modern far right stuff. Ive always been against identity politics. But whats happening, and sadly I feel will soon happen, is something that was planned for awhile to sow chaos.

Gotta admit, I was pretty damn moved by Jimmy Fallons opening of The Tonight Show tonight. The Alt right might be high fiving eachother, giving "OK" emojis and sharing pepe pinochet memes right now...but they dont realize
what a can of worms they just opened.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby SonicG » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:23 am

Well stated 8bit but I hadn't heard about the troopers who were killed:

On Saturday, Lieutenant Cullen and Trooper Bates were in a Bell 407 helicopter circling Charlottesville, Va., keeping watch on the violent demonstrations at a rally of white nationalists. But a few minutes before 5 p.m., and for reasons that are not yet clear, the helicopter fell from the sky and burst into flames in a wooded residential area on the outskirts of the University of Virginia campus.

Saw another report that said "no foul play"...

But certainly. Worms coming home to roost (sic?)...I passed on visiting the states this summer exactly because I was worried something would happen. Call me an ostrich but I am very happy that I spent a week diving in Indonesia instead of having to deal with this shit up close...

"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby Grizzly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

I love Dr. Cornel West's mind, ...but 'fightback' is not an option in the long term. I understand his response to the immediate trauma of that... yes, fight in the moment, but that ultimately leads nowhere because it's a system. The system always wins.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion