Who Was Seth Rich?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Who Was Seth Rich?

Postby Cordelia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:31 pm

mentalgongfu2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 am wrote:Well, Elvis said he would get back to me last Sunday, but that hasn't happened, and he has not replied to my PM.

So, since you are still engaged in this thread Cordelia, and have clearly followed the case more closely than I, to you know where I could find a summary of the actual evidence (not just speculation), if any, that RIch was the wikileaks leaker?

To my mind, a politically-motivated hit only makes sense if that is indeed the case. And if he's not the leaker (or there isn't solid evidence he was), I am much more inclined to accept the conclusions of D.C. police and the family at face value.

Sorry, I don’t know of a concise (or otherwise) summary for that or any other speculation on Seth Rich’s slaying. I can no longer concentrate on the media/internet-fueled spiraling of information/disinformation--don't have the brain cells to waste.

But my distrust of the official stories stems from experiences (along w/other’s) with, and reading about, the corrupt practices of MPDC. Along w/decades of living/working in those environs. I navigated by reading between the lines, critical thinking, hunch, ‘rigorous’ intuition, etc, on what was reported in the early stages of Rich's death and think his career path, the timing and circumstances of his murder appear just too coincidental for him to simply have been in the wrong place at the wrong time

The message is important and the suspicious death of a Capitol Hill staffer like Rich (whether he did or didn’t spill information) sends a powerful one to others who might be tempted: "Fuck with us (the powerful elite) and we could have you killed."

On the other hand, whatever Rich did---or was about to do--the ‘conclusion‘ of MPDC (repeated through the media) of a “Botched robbery; no valuables taken” could possibly have sent another message: The ‘robbery’ (by Rich) was botched and no valuables (information) were taken. Just an idle thought.....

How political Washington guards its gates must be a well practiced art carried out by its legions of governmental and private security/intelligence agencies and I doubt we’ll never know what happened. Just whatever anyone thinks could have happened, based, of course, on personal bias.

I’m curious as to why Hersh has remained silent about the recording made of him. But he's an elderly man now, maybe not as sharp or ready to jump he was once ? :shrug:
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PufPuf93 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 am

A New Report Raises Big Questions About Last Year’s DNC Hack

Former NSA experts say it wasn’t a hack at all, but a leak—an inside job by someone with access to the DNC’s system.

By Patrick Lawrence

It is now a year since the Democratic National Committee’s mail system was compromised—a year since events in the spring and early summer of 2016 were identified as remote hacks and, in short order, attributed to Russians acting in behalf of Donald Trump. A great edifice has been erected during this time. President Trump, members of his family, and numerous people around him stand accused of various corruptions and extensive collusion with Russians. Half a dozen simultaneous investigations proceed into these matters. Last week news broke that Special Counsel Robert Mueller had convened a grand jury, which issued its first subpoenas on August 3. Allegations of treason are common; prominent political figures and many media cultivate a case for impeachment.

The president’s ability to conduct foreign policy, notably but not only with regard to Russia, is now crippled. Forced into a corner and having no choice, Trump just signed legislation imposing severe new sanctions on Russia and European companies working with it on pipeline projects vital to Russia’s energy sector. Striking this close to the core of another nation’s economy is customarily considered an act of war, we must not forget. In retaliation, Moscow has announced that the United States must cut its embassy staff by roughly two-thirds. All sides agree that relations between the United States and Russia are now as fragile as they were during some of the Cold War’s worst moments. To suggest that military conflict between two nuclear powers inches ever closer can no longer be dismissed as hyperbole.
All this was set in motion when the DNC’s mail server was first violated in the spring of 2016 and by subsequent assertions that Russians were behind that “hack” and another such operation, also described as a Russian hack, on July 5. These are the foundation stones of the edifice just outlined. The evolution of public discourse in the year since is worthy of scholarly study: Possibilities became allegations, and these became probabilities. Then the probabilities turned into certainties, and these evolved into what are now taken to be established truths. By my reckoning, it required a few days to a few weeks to advance from each of these stages to the next. This was accomplished via the indefensibly corrupt manipulations of language repeated incessantly in our leading media.

Lost in a year that often appeared to veer into our peculiarly American kind of hysteria is the absence of any credible evidence of what happened last year and who was responsible for it. It is tiresome to note, but none has been made available. Instead, we are urged to accept the word of institutions and senior officials with long records of deception. These officials profess “high confidence” in their “assessment” as to what happened in the spring and summer of last year—this standing as their authoritative judgment. Few have noticed since these evasive terms first appeared that an assessment is an opinion, nothing more, and to express high confidence is an upside-down way of admitting the absence of certain knowledge. This is how officials avoid putting their names on the assertions we are so strongly urged to accept—as the record shows many of them have done…

More at:

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-new ... -dnc-hack/
PufPuf93

Postby Elvis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:12 am

Elvis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 pm wrote:
mentalgongfu2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 am wrote:Elvis, can we look at this another way - beyond the known facts that Rich worked for the DNC and was killed in a still-unsolved murder, what actual evidence is there that he WAS the leaker?

(Beyond the speculation and implications of the politically motivated)

Thanks mgf, that's a good question and I want to give it a good answer, but I'm short on time today, thanks for patience.

Allow me to apologize for the long delay, I've been preoccupied with a cluster of events and obligations, wanting for time and energy. Now I can relax, lemme roll a cigarette and get started. I think a lot of people—not least the newsreporters—are just not using their heads in this matter, and I sometimes see people confuse "evidence" with "proof," two different things of course. Plus there's plenty of plain disingenuous argument—again mainly from the big MSM opinion-makers—that doesn't really stand up to simple logic.

Elvis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 pm wrote:let's agree on what we mean by 'evidence':

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Thinking about what constitutes evidence, the word "indication" kept coming to mind, and sure enough, my lame-o paste of a dictionary definition proves me right. :bigsmile

So. We're considering available facts and information that indicate the truthfulness or validity of two related propositions, which I'd like to phrase as questions:

1. Did Seth Rich leak or help to leak the DNC emails published by Wikileaks?

and if so,

2. Was Seth Rich's murder related to the leak of DNC emails?

In the United States, we'll hang a man on the testimony of one person (e.g. commonly a jail snitch). Testimony is evidence; it's only information, but it's evidence. A statement can become a "fact" if a police officer says it, but even that double standard is waning.

It seems to me that there are only two or three people we're aware of who could know with certainty who leaked the DNC emails:

1. The leaker.

2. Julian Assange.

3. Craig Murray.

Number (1.) is unknown and is little help here.

Number (2.), Julian Assange—the one person in the world who almost certainly knows who the leaker is—has strongly indicated that it was Seth Rich. Obviously, Assange's not going to explicitly reveal the leaker's identity, but that's a huge fucking indication from the one person who should know.

Number (3.) is the former British diplomat Craig Murray who claims he participated in the hand-off in Washington D.C. and hinting at Seth Rich's involvement; to me that's a pretty big indication. Assange cautiously (and naturally) distanced himself from Murray's accounts but continues, as recently as the other day with Dana Rohrbacher, to insist that the DNC emails were leaks, not hacks.

Which is another question we may as well deal with. The Assange and Murray testimonies, if you will, also answer the question of whether the emails were hacked or leaked: they were leaked. The letter from Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)—a panel of heroes and whistleblowers—concurs, and it impresses me as the best investigation into the question.

So my argument proceeds from the proposition that the emails were leaked, not hacked (this post is looking long already, so evidence that the emails were hacked can be dissected later).

Someone leaked the emails.

My argument is simply that the above facts and information rather strongly suggest that Seth Rich is likely the leaker. It goes a bit beyond Assange's assertions alone, e.g., what we know about Seth's personality—idealistic, patriotic, progressive, worked on DNC email systems, a Bernie Sanders supporter—fits the profile of an insider "disgusted" by the corrupt and shameful campaign practices of DNC executives exposed in the emails.

So far, I'm roughly guessing ummmm... a 70% likelihood, that Seth Rich leaked the DNC emails. It's a theory, a pretty good one considering the evidence. It might be wrong. The leaker could very well be someone else. There could be twenty other people who worked on DNC email systems at the time and who supported Sanders etc., etc., but no one I know of has tried to find out.

Did the DNC even call law enforcement when they learned that their emails had been stolen? Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet they never did. If not, why not?

My estimate for the likelihood that Seth was killed for what he did or what he knew is lower. The possibility always exists that it was a "random" killing. Without more information from the police (e.g. what did Seth say in his "talkative" state? were there body cam recordings?).

We wouldn't even know about Seth Rich if he hadn't been killed. But when you put that earlier huge fucking indication from Assange that Seth was the leaker—and may have been murdered for it—together with other indications, a body of evidence comes together. that deserves at least a proper investigation.

The police. What do the police have? The police have a theory. It's a pretty weak theory, considering the evidence. But since the police said it, it's good as gold. The police say they suspect a botched robbery. This gets reported as a murder "police say was a botched robbery." There's just one problem. The police never said it was a botched robbery. It's a theory.

It's not a great theory because as we know, none of Seth's valuable's were taken. The best argument for it has come from pundits pointing out that 'there have been other robberies and/or shootings in the area.' Uh huh, I'm convinced! Not..

(I haven't been to D.C. in years but when I was there, from the toney comfort of "ambassador row," our host pointed at the street facing our building and told us, "whatever you do, do not cross XXth Street—you will be mugged." So an arbitrary "area" a quarter-mile across can easily include a zone where crime statistics starkly contrast with the "good" neighborhoods where one feels completely safe. I did get lost briefly in a ghetto—and that's the word for it—thanks to a confused cabbie. Suffice for now to say it was a completely different world.)

I'm almost inclined to agree with those who feel as if the unified MSM characterization of these questions as kooky, harmful thoughts is itself an indication that something is amiss. Seems a little crazy! But I've never been so reminded of the monolithic MSM attacks on Oliver Stone's "JFK"; I read just about every "JFK" review in print (this was before the interwebs), and nothing factual was ever disputed. I looked and looked, but not one single MSM reviewer made any serious challenge to information represented in the movie (which I think was not perfect but very well researched). Rather, the reader's emotions were pushed: Stone should be ashamed; these conspiracy theories are degrading; it's unAmerican; Stone is deceiving us; I don't want my kids seeing this garbage.

Reason left the building.

Just a few days ago, the BBC felt it necessary to devote a lengthy radio (and maybe TV?) segment to the Seth Rich story. I was working so couldn't really take notes, but by now it can probably be found on the BBC site (I'll look later).

I listened pretty carefully, and what stood out first was that the topic was announced as an "outrageous conspiracy theory"—announcer emphasis on a drawn-out "outRAGEous"—without ever explaining why it was outrageous.

Yet, they called it an "outrageous conspiracy theory" three times. Three times! Once in the teaser, again in the intro, and again in the body.

What is outrageous is the BBC reporting on this subject. In their quite detailed account, including loads of non-information (and the usual "which police say was a robbery gone bad"), the BBC strangely omitted a most relevant fact: at the DNC, Seth worked on—duh!—email systems!

The BBC said only that Seth Rich worked at the DNC. Not once did they mention what kind of work he did, or what his politics were, etc.

Now, if you're an investigator, or a professional reporter at one of the most august news reporting organizations in the world, you might think that when Julian Assange indicates that Seth Rich leaked the DNC emails, the fact that Seth worked on email systems at the DNC would be relevant to your story, wouldn't you? The two just might be connected, yeah? I mean, what are the chances? (1 in 1?)

Further, as a professional investigator or journalist you might think (if you were actually thinking) that this piece of information would be worth including in your 20-fucking-minute report. Wouldn't that make sense? If you were being honest about the facts?

But no. Not one mention. And that's just one point of misinformation. It's either very sloppy or deliberately dishonest; we can only speculate.

There's more about the seeming media campaign to discredit any connection between Seth Rich and the DNC email leaks, and more to cover generally, but this is what I have tonight.

To mentalgongfu2, I hope I've reasonably answered your question.

Oh and just one more thing.

I keep hearing from Jerky that Julian Assange has indicated that he has knowledge of the killer's (or killers') identity. This sounds like another straw man; can anyone show where Assange made such an indication? Thanks in advance.

:clown
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:13 am

Friday night. Kinda sad, huh? :lol: :oops:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:08 am

Elvis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 pm wrote:

mentalgongfu2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 am wrote:
Elvis, can we look at this another way - beyond the known facts that Rich worked for the DNC and was killed in a still-unsolved murder, what actual evidence is there that he WAS the leaker?

(Beyond the speculation and implications of the politically motivated)

Thanks mgf, that's a good question and I want to give it a good answer, but I'm short on time today, thanks for patience.

Allow me to apologize for the long delay, I've been preoccupied with a cluster of events and obligations, wanting for time and energy. Now I can relax, lemme roll a cigarette and get started. I think a lot of people—not least the newsreporters—are just not using their heads in this matter, and I sometimes see people confuse "evidence" with "proof," two different things of course. Plus there's plenty of plain disingenuous argument—again mainly from the big MSM opinion-makers—that doesn't really stand up to simple logic.

Elvis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 pm wrote:
let's agree on what we mean by 'evidence':

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Thinking about what constitutes evidence, the word "indication" kept coming to mind, and sure enough, my lame-o paste of a dictionary definition proves me right. :bigsmile

So. We're considering available facts and information that indicate the truthfulness or validity of two related propositions, which I'd like to phrase as questions:

1. Did Seth Rich leak or help to leak the DNC emails published by Wikileaks?

and if so,

2. Was Seth Rich's murder related to the leak of DNC emails?

In the United States, we'll hang a man on the testimony of one person (e.g. commonly a jail snitch). Testimony is evidence; it's only information, but it's evidence. A statement can become a "fact" if a police officer says it, but even that double standard is waning.

It seems to me that there are only two or three people we're aware of who could know with certainty who leaked the DNC emails:

1. The leaker.

2. Julian Assange.

3. Craig Murray.

Number (1.) is unknown and is little help here.

Number (2.), Julian Assange—the one person in the world who almost certainly knows who the leaker is—has strongly indicated that it was Seth Rich. Obviously, Assange's not going to explicitly reveal the leaker's identity, but that's a huge fucking indication from the one person who should know.

Number (3.) is the former British diplomat Craig Murray who claims he participated in the hand-off in Washington D.C. and hinting at Seth Rich's involvement; to me that's a pretty big indication. Assange cautiously (and naturally) distanced himself from Murray's accounts but continues, as recently as the other day with Dana Rohrbacher, to insist that the DNC emails were leaks, not hacks.

Which is another question we may as well deal with. The Assange and Murray testimonies, if you will, also answer the question of whether the emails were hacked or leaked: they were leaked. The letter from Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)—a panel of heroes and whistleblowers—concurs, and it impresses me as the best investigation into the question.

So my argument proceeds from the proposition that the emails were leaked, not hacked (this post is looking long already, so evidence that the emails were hacked can be dissected later).

Someone leaked the emails.

My argument is simply that the above facts and information rather strongly suggest that Seth Rich is likely the leaker. It goes a bit beyond Assange's assertions alone, e.g., what we know about Seth's personality—idealistic, patriotic, progressive, worked on DNC email systems, a Bernie Sanders supporter—fits the profile of an insider "disgusted" by the corrupt and shameful campaign practices of DNC executives exposed in the emails.

So far, I'm roughly guessing ummmm... a 70% likelihood, that Seth Rich leaked the DNC emails. It's a theory, a pretty good one considering the evidence. It might be wrong. The leaker could very well be someone else. There could be twenty other people who worked on DNC email systems at the time and who supported Sanders etc., etc., but no one I know of has tried to find out.

Did the DNC even call law enforcement when they learned that their emails had been stolen? Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet they never did. If not, why not?

My estimate for the likelihood that Seth was killed for what he did or what he knew is lower. The possibility always exists that it was a "random" killing. Without more information from the police (e.g. what did Seth say in his "talkative" state? were there body cam recordings?).

We wouldn't even know about Seth Rich if he hadn't been killed. But when you put that earlier huge fucking indication from Assange that Seth was the leaker—and may have been murdered for it—together with other indications, a body of evidence comes together. that deserves at least a proper investigation.

The police. What do the police have? The police have a theory. It's a pretty weak theory, considering the evidence. But since the police said it, it's good as gold. The police say they suspect a botched robbery. This gets reported as a murder "police say was a botched robbery." There's just one problem. The police never said it was a botched robbery. It's a theory.

It's not a great theory because as we know, none of Seth's valuable's were taken. The best argument for it has come from pundits pointing out that 'there have been other robberies and/or shootings in the area.' Uh huh, I'm convinced! Not..

(I haven't been to D.C. in years but when I was there, from the toney comfort of "ambassador row," our host pointed at the street facing our building and told us, "whatever you do, do not cross XXth Street—you will be mugged." So an arbitrary "area" a quarter-mile across can easily include a zone where crime statistics starkly contrast with the "good" neighborhoods where one feels completely safe. I did get lost briefly in a ghetto—and that's the word for it—thanks to a confused cabbie. Suffice for now to say it was a completely different world.)

I'm almost inclined to agree with those who feel as if the unified MSM characterization of these questions as kooky, harmful thoughts is itself an indication that something is amiss. Seems a little crazy! But I've never been so reminded of the monolithic MSM attacks on Oliver Stone's "JFK"; I read just about every "JFK" review in print (this was before the interwebs), and nothing factual was ever disputed. I looked and looked, but not one single MSM reviewer made any serious challenge to information represented in the movie (which I think was not perfect but very well researched). Rather, the reader's emotions were pushed: Stone should be ashamed; these conspiracy theories are degrading; it's unAmerican; Stone is deceiving us; I don't want my kids seeing this garbage.

Reason left the building.

Just a few days ago, the BBC felt it necessary to devote a lengthy radio (and maybe TV?) segment to the Seth Rich story. I was working so couldn't really take notes, but by now it can probably be found on the BBC site (I'll look later).

I listened pretty carefully, and what stood out first was that the topic was announced as an "outrageous conspiracy theory"—announcer emphasis on a drawn-out "outRAGEous"—without ever explaining why it was outrageous.

Yet, they called it an "outrageous conspiracy theory" three times. Three times! Once in the teaser, again in the intro, and again in the body.

What is outrageous is the BBC reporting on this subject. In their quite detailed account, including loads of non-information (and the usual "which police say was a robbery gone bad"), the BBC strangely omitted a most relevant fact: at the DNC, Seth worked on—duh!—email systems!

The BBC said only that Seth Rich worked at the DNC. Not once did they mention what kind of work he did, or what his politics were, etc.

Now, if you're an investigator, or a professional reporter at one of the most august news reporting organizations in the world, you might think that when Julian Assange indicates that Seth Rich leaked the DNC emails, the fact that Seth worked on email systems at the DNC would be relevant to your story, wouldn't you? The two just might be connected, yeah? I mean, what are the chances? (1 in 1?)

Further, as a professional investigator or journalist you might think (if you were actually thinking) that this piece of information would be worth including in your 20-fucking-minute report. Wouldn't that make sense? If you were being honest about the facts?

But no. Not one mention. And that's just one point of misinformation. It's either very sloppy or deliberately dishonest; we can only speculate.

There's more about the seeming media campaign to discredit any connection between Seth Rich and the DNC email leaks, and more to cover generally, but this is what I have tonight.

To mentalgongfu2, I hope I've reasonably answered your question.

Oh and just one more thing.

I keep hearing from Jerky that Julian Assange has indicated that he has knowledge of the killer's (or killers') identity. This sounds like another straw man; can anyone show where Assange made such an indication? Thanks in advance.

:clown

Elvis, thank you for responding, albeit several weeks and a few PM's after you indicated said response was imminent. I understand that other life matters can take priority over responding to an essential stranger's question on a discussion board.

So let's begin, keeping in mind I am coming from a skeptical viewpoint - that is, I have no particular leaning either direction as to whether 1) Seth Rich leaked DNC documents or 2) he was murdered because of 1, other than my admitted bias against some of the outlets that have presumed both 1 and 2 are true and proceeded strictly from there. And I guess I should add, that because 2 follows from 1, my lack of conviction on 1 means I have some hurdles to get to 2. I also have an inclination to play devil's advocate, which does not always mirror my own conclusions but does help me to reach them.

We previously agreed on what constitutes evidence, even if that is merely a working definition. As to the truth that people can be hung on the testimony of one person in the good ol' USA, and said testimony can become a "fact" even if it comes from a questionable source such as a jailhouse snitch, I agree. We are, thankfully, operating on our own standards here as a discussion board and not as a jury participating in a trial for a capital crime. For that we would need a specific suspect, among other things. Good so far.

We also agree the leaker could answer question 1. As could Julian Assange, presuming he knows, which is likely as you say. As you also say, Assange has "strongly indicated" Rich is the leaker. I must ask, if Rich is the leaker, given Rich has no obvious need for protection given he is no longer alive, why would Assange not merely say so, to clear the air and make a definitive statement, rather than merely a "strong indication". You say it is obvious Assange would not do so, but I'm not clear why the one person likely to know, who is demonstrably still alive (while the leaker may or may not be), would not just come out and say so. If Rich was the leaker, why would Assange merely hint at it rather than reveal it outright? Who does he have left to protect in this instance? Does Assange believe in protecting sources such that he would not even reveal a deceased one, to which no more harm can come, for the sake of protecting a standard of secrecy? I will oblige that he may well have such a standard. I don't know enough about his standards to say, but if source protection is such a concern, I wonder why he would so strongly imply anything about a source's identity to begin with.

[Yes, these are questions to which I do not have answers, not "evidence" by our agreed-upon definition. But relevant questions, and as you take similar liberties as your argument proceeds, I believe they are fair ones. A possible answer to why he wouldn't do so is if Rich was not, in fact, the leaker, in which case Assange would still have someone else he needs to protect.]

Regarding Craig Murray. I have but a passing familiarity. I of course looked the name up in connection with Rich when I saw it in your post. Among the articles I discount based on the particular publication promoting them, such as WND, were a few I will not write off so quickly. We can leave for another time or place how much stock to put in the reputation of any particular source, given I did note that each should be evaluated on its merits without your specific objection when we agreed upon our vague but useful definition of evidence. A Counterpunch article bylined from Mike Whitney (relying on reporting from Robert Parry at Consortium News, and quoting much of the same) relates that the DNC leak at issue came "from a 'disgruntled Democrat upset with the DNC's sandbagging of the Sanders campaign and that the Podesta leak came from the U.S. intelligence community..."
It goes on to describe a meeting Murray is alleged to have had on behalf of Wikileaks with "one of the sources (or a representative)" in a wooded area near American University on Sept. 25. Murray apparently does not specify whether he was meeting with a source related to the DNC leak or the Podesta leak. The article, which is mainly framed as a takedown of the Russian hack narrative (and fair enough on that, considering the popular narrative of Russian hacking is full of holes), goes on to ask the same sort of unanswered questions I have posed above, but in this case regarding the Russia narrative rather than the Rich-as-leaker-narrative.

I also am looking at a Craig Murray article on his own website, entitled "Stink Without a Secret," also focused on taking down the Russian hack narrative, in which his only reference to the above claims or Rich is a criticism of The Guardian for failing to point out that troubling aspects of the claim (fact?) from "law enforcement" that the FBI has not looked at Rich's laptop while investigating his murder. I find it hard to believe law enforcement would not do so. And it is not clear whether "law enforcement," presumably D.C. police, are saying they themselves haven't looked at it, or just that the FBI hasn't.

In the interest of objectivity, I also clicked on and perused an article by The New American titled "More Evidence Points to Murdered DNC Staffer as Wikileaks' Source." This repeats Assange's strong suggestions and also quotes Kim Dotcom as being in direct communication with Rich under the pseudonym 'Panda" and saying Dotcom knows Rich is the leaker due to past contacts with 'Panda' about starting a branch of the Internet Party, without ever providing any info in the interview specifically about Rich's alleged involvement in the leak other than Dotcom's willingness to testify on the unmentioned evidence he claims to have.

Please note I did read some other stuff, but I am being as brief as I can here, which, as you can tell, is not very... Let us move on, since I have already gone past the things you have cited up till now.

You conclude the emails were leaked, not hacked. I have no problem agreeing with that considering there is poor and little evidence of a Russian hack (separate from the unrelated question, mind you, of whether Trump himself is in debt financially or otherwise to Russian mob interests).

OK. So emails were leaked. Your argument then proceeds that Seth Rich is likely the leaker, based on the suggestions from Assange, Seth's personality (idealistic, patriotic, progressive, ... Bernie Sanders supporter), as you say, and access to DNC email systems. You put it at 70 percent likelihood. I appreciate you at least providing a reasonable margin of error for other possibilities. I do not know where the personality assessments come from, though I have come across those that mirror the qualities you cite, so I will take it at face value as likely true that he exhibited such characteristics.

I also appreciate your acknowledgment someone else with similar access as Rich could be the leaker. You then state no one you know has tried to find out. No one I know has tried to find out either, but I don't know anyone in the DNC, D.C. Police, or FBI. Which brings me back to the point that Assange could answer this question with an outright yes or no to the question of "Was it Seth Rich?" While I can't say why he won't give such an answer, I am personally troubled by the fact he is willing to "strongly indicate" something to the point of nearly stating it, without actually stating it. To me, that is the sort of thing people do when they are hedging their bets and trying to manipulate others. That, to me, stinks as badly or worse than the unanswered questions you go on to raise about the DNC and whether or not they called law enforcement regarding stolen emails.

Worse, actually, because 1) why would the DNC want to publicize that fact? 2) what could a D.C. police department actually do about it? Whereas, Assange could presumably lay many questions to rest.

The reports of Rich's "talkative" state en route to the hospital are certainly intriguing. What was he talking about, and why aren't there records of it? I don't know if D.C. police wear body cameras or if any were even in the ambulance as he was transported. I doubt paramedics there wear body cameras. The "talkative" state is also in question for me, given he was in critical condition (Priority 1, according to reports). A brief search for reliable sources on these questions yields for me nothing beyond the expected conspiracy nuts (i.e. doctor with tangential connection to Podesta/Clintons might have been Rich's attending doctor because he works at a hospital Rich might have been taken to) and the expected conspiracy debunkers (no need to cite, as they just say X is BS).

As I am getting way more lengthy than even the old C2W, let me say now that I agree the MSM outright dismissing the possibility of Rich as leaker and foul play in his death, beyond attempted robbery, is ludicrous. It is unfortunate, to say the least.The possibility should be considered dutifully, as I am attempting to do by engaging with you here and digging into things I would otherwise not be aware of. The outright dismissal by many news outlets is in poor form, and I would, and do, expect better from some of the pilers-on than to dismiss it as mere "conspiracy" simply because it fits with a narrative that places guilt on the Democratic party. I would, however, differ with you perhaps only in that I am more likely to believe the dismissal by historically-venerable news organizations is, rather than a conspiracy of its own, a result of both general laziness and a disinclination to consider reports from sources promoting the original 1 and 2 theories that range from questionable (still worth a look), to plain unreliable playgrounds of ideological fantasy/assumptions (damaging to one's intellect).

To that point, while MSM opposition is notable, I don't think it meets our definition of evidence. And whatever the reviews of Stone's "JFK" upon release, you would be hard pressed to find anyone in my cohort who would echo those thoughts. While government involvement in 911 is still taboo among some of my peers, nearly everyone in my circles accepts the official story of Kennedy's assassination is bogus and the CIA was likely involved. You could be laughed out of a room for suggesting it was indeed Oswald alone with his magic rifle.

I will leave alone your specific critique of the BBC's failures in reporting, since I think I have touched on the general problems with such things above.

But back to Rich. I think the most important point you failed to mention is that of his surviving family, specifically his parents, as it seems he was not married and did not father children.
His parents, the only immediate surviving relatives of which I am aware, have repeatedly, adamantly and publicly denied a political motive behind his death and pleaded for an end to the speculation of political involvement.
Now, I have heard the argument that his parents are big Democrat supporters, thus they wouldn't want to besmirch his name, or theirs,by acknowledging he might have been the leaker.
I call bullshit on that.
No parent, except the most degenerate opportunist imaginable, would put a political party above finding the truth about the murder of their own child. I think this can be accepted as a general truism, but there are countless individual stories to back it up, including a few involving people I have met myself in real life. I have no reason to believe Seth Rich's parents are degenerate opportunists, nor that they remain in a state of denial over the cause of his murder. Perhaps they have been hoodwinked by the D.C. police, but I highly doubt it, given the massive attention focused on their son's death and their constant requests to put an end to the speculation and the opportunism of those who feed on the conspiracy theory (yes, I hate that phrase, but I find it appropriate here and lack a better substitute). There are many articles that cite the fact Rich's autopsy has not been made public as some sort of evidence in favor of the leaker+political murder theory. They are apparently unaware that actual autopsy ARE NOT public records in most states, none that I'm specifically aware of in fact. While the cause and manner of death is public, the autopsy report itself is private, available only to specified individuals such as law enforcement personnel and immediate family members. If there was anything in the autopsy report of Seth Rich that could lead to solving his murder, don't you think his parents would want to scream it from the mountaintop? I do. It is an assumption, for sure, but of the assumptions I've made so far, it is one I'm most comfortable with.

So here we are. While I am not convinced Seth Rich is the leaker, you have at least given me some new things to ponder. And for that I thank you. Neither am I convinced he was not the leaker, but I do lean toward the belief that even if he was, it was not the cause of his death, based on all I have said above. I doubt I have convinced you of anything either, but hopefully you at least have some food for thought as well. To my mind, the question of whether he is or is not the leaker is the key one. He could be the leaker and still have been murdered randomly in a botched robbery. He could not be the leaker and have been murdered in a botched robbery. But only if he was the leaker could his murder take on the political implications it has been given, in many cases by writers and publications who refuse to even begin to ask the questions we have asked each other tonight.

Thank you again, Elvis, for your belated reply. You have indeed reasonably answered my question to the best of your ability. Peace.

On edit: I have edited a few times since my initial posting to fix a couple obvious typos and clarify my statements on where I stand regarding Rich being the leaker or not. Upon review, I see some other things I might add or clarify, but I will leave it as stands for the sake of keeping things clean and transparent. If you, or anyone else for that matter, would like to continue the discussion on any points, I welcome it.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Sounder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 am

Event like this become hard to follow as the noise to signal ratio can get so high.

It is quite a morning pleasure to read material going over the basic information bits, with qualifiers, and explanations for personal opinion, while leaving room for others to use the information in their own manner.

Almost at the level of C2W? :wink: Thanks mentalgongfu2 and Elvis.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 am

You're welcome? I have trouble reading you, Sounder.
But yes. You're welcome.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Blue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:45 am

mentalgongfu2 wrote:You're welcome? I have trouble reading you, Sounder.
But yes. You're welcome.

I appreciate your post as well. One other tiny bullet point in the CT (for lack of better word) theories about this that irritates me is that the DC police are withholding surveillance camera evidence that shows the killers. I recall reading somewhere that only about half of those street cams have batteries in them, and that was years ago. I bet even less do. Just like PG, they're grasping at straws.
Blue

Postby Sounder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am

You're welcome? I have trouble reading you, Sounder.

No question, I do mean it. And I love C2W? also, shock I know.

yes, I have a congenital problem of wanting other people to think, and my clumsy word choices represent an apparently meager attempt to counter what I consider to be negative effects of current societal conditioning.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Cordelia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm

mentalgongfu2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:08 am

The reports of Rich's "talkative" state en route to the hospital are certainly intriguing. What was he talking about, and why aren't there records of it? I don't know if D.C. police wear body cameras or if any were even in the ambulance as he was transported. I doubt paramedics there wear body cameras. The "talkative" state is also in question for me, given he was in critical condition (Priority 1, according to reports). A brief search for reliable sources on these questions yields for me nothing beyond the expected conspiracy nuts (i.e. doctor with tangential connection to Podesta/Clintons might have been Rich's attending doctor because he works at a hospital Rich might have been taken to) and the expected conspiracy debunkers (no need to cite, as they just say X is BS).

Jan. 18, 2017 WaPo quoting Rich's brother:

Officials told the Riches that their son, who died at a nearby hospital less than two hours after being shot, didn’t know he’d been hit in the back by two bullets. He wasn’t in pain, they were told. But he was confused. When Seth Rich was asked where he lived, he gave a previous address, Joel Rich said.

“They were very surprised he didn’t make it,” Aaron Rich said emergency responders told him. “He was very aware, very talkative. Yep, that was 100 percent my brother.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 0496818e55

Edit to add:

Blue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 am wrote:
I appreciate your post as well. One other tiny bullet point in the CT (for lack of better word) theories about this that irritates me is that the DC police are withholding surveillance camera evidence that shows the killers. I recall reading somewhere that only about half of those street cams have batteries in them, and that was years ago. I bet even less do. Just like PG, they're grasping at straws.

Also in the WaPo article:

Police told the family, Joel Rich said, that a security camera from a small convenience store across the street captured a grainy image of their son collapsing and the feet or legs of two other people — possibly his killers. Officials with D.C. police declined an interview request. A police spokesman would not confirm the existence of a video or reveal what Rich may have said after he was shot, saying that that information could compromise an ongoing investigation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 0496818e55

I’m perplexed why a security camera “across the street” would capture only feet or legs :shrug:

Police often release camera footage of a crime to the public to see if anybody recognizes anything. Though I understand not wanting to include the disturbing image of Rich collapsing, couldn’t they have given the public any details other than that they were looking for ‘two black men’ -- from the early police statement on Youtube (I just discovered unable to view any Youtubes; 'Error Occured' :wallhead: . Anyway, fwiw, the MPD link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjnE78fZ7eA )?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby SonicG » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Not only are they scam artists, maybe, just maybe they are pawns also...

Jack Posobiec, Pizzagate and Seth Rich Conspiracy Theorist, Has Top Secret Security Clearance

Jack Posobiec is one of the right’s leading agitators and conspiracy theorists.
He implied there may be a child-sex ring under a D.C. pizza joint run by Democrats. He peddled rumors about the murder of former DNC staffer Seth Rich. He interrupted a supposedly anti-Trump Julius Caesar play, yelling “you are all Goebbels.” He popularized a WikiLeaks campaign against a French presidential candidate. He even tried to sabotage a D.C. protest by holding up a sign that said, “Rape Melania.”
Posobiec did all of this, and more, as a U.S. Navy intelligence officer, apparently while he had one of the military’s highest security clearances. How can a person with a record of spreading disinformation for political reasons be allowed access to raw intelligence?

Posobiec’s military unit, the Joint Reserve Intelligence Support Element Dekalb did not respond to a request for comment.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/jack-posob ... -clearance
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Another guy I don't know anything about, Charles "Chuck" Johnson (former Breitbart)

In this video he says he went with Rohrabacher to wikileaks and saw the evidence showing the source...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijYplacyKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QogelY1rcS4

WikiLeaks statement indicates O.C. congressman Dana Rohrabacher does not speak on Assange’s behalf
Photo by Eugene Garcia, SCNG/The Orange County Register
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Costa Mesa
By Martin Wisckol | mwisckol@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: August 16, 2017 at 9:14 pm | UPDATED: August 17, 2017 at 3:41 pm
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/16/o- ... dnc-leaks/

About Charles C. Johnson

Gotnews.com founder and editor-in-chief Charles C. Johnson is an investigative journalist, author, and sought after researcher.

He has been profiled in the Washington Post, Politico, The New York Times, Mother Jones Magazine, and The New York Observer with Ryan Holiday.

http://gotnews.com/about/
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby SonicG » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:45 pm

You don't know Chuck Johnson? Maybe you just forgot hearing about him because of the generic name...busted for being a general POS a few years ago
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ing-stone/

Here is flashing the WP hand sign with Rohrbacher

‘Alt-right’ figure who set up Assange meeting refuses to cooperate with Senate intel probe
A controversial “alt-right” journalist and provocateur who met with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in London this week says he is refusing to turn over documents and emails requested by the Senate Intelligence Committee about any contacts he has had with Russian agents, telling Yahoo News he has no intention of cooperating with the panel’s investigation.

“I’m absolutely not” going to cooperate with the committee, Charles C. Johnson said in an interview after returning from London, where he had set up a meeting this week between Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., and Assange at the Ecuadorian Embassy.

“They’re going to have to subpoena me and then they’ll be sorely disappointed,” he added. Johnson said his lawyer would raise journalistic “privilege” issues to resist turning over any communications he might have had with Russian nationals or agents. The committee had requested the material in a July 27 letter it sent him, asking that the documents by turned over by Aug. 10. Johnson has since posted the letter on a website he runs, GotNews.

Johnson’s stand would appear to make him the first figure in the Russia investigation to take such a publicly defiant position — refusing to cooperate in any way with the committee probe. Even prospective witnesses who have repeatedly derided the Russia investigations, such as longtime Donald Trump adviser Roger Stone, have said they will comply with requests from the Senate and House intelligence committees (although Stone in particular has been dodgy about whether he will respond to questions about the identity of a “backchannel” figure who tipped him off to material Assange was about to publish.) Another key figure, former national security adviser Michael Flynn, initially refused to respond to a committee request and requested immunity, but later turned over people sought by the panel. A spokeswoman for committee chair, Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., declined any comment about Johnson.

Johnson is an intriguing figure to committee investigators for multiple reasons: He is an inflammatory “alt-right” journalist and entrepreneur who was banned from Twitter two years ago for appearing to threaten a Black Lives Matter activist. Despite this, he maintains apparent ties to some officials in the White House as well as Assange, whose organization, WikiLeaks, has been described by CIA Director Mike Pompeo as a “nonstate hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alt-right-fi ... 20121.html

He is not to be confused with the Charles Johnson who runs the Little Green Footballs blog.
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 pm

:)

F.B.I. Once Warned G.O.P. Congressman That Russian Spies Were Recruiting Him
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/p ... ml?mcubz=0

Why Dana Rohrabacher's name keeps coming up in the Russia investigation
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol- ... story.html

Putin’s favorite congressman
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/p ... ump-231775

Even If Dana Rohrabacher Was a Russian Asset, Would He Know?

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/even-dana ... sset-know/

Rohrabacher Aide Ousted Amid Reports on Russia Ties
Paul Behrends has been linked to a Russian lawyer and a former Soviet spy who attended a 2016 meeting with Donald Trump Jr. and others at Trump Tower.

By Gabrielle Levy, Political Reporter |July 20, 2017, at 5:14 p.m.

Rohrabacher Aide Ousted Amid Reports on Russia Ties

In this June 14, 2016 file photo, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif. is seen on Capitol Hill in Washington.
A top aide to Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, pictured, reportedly has been removed from his job amid news of his ties to Russian interests. (Paul Holston/AP)
A top aide to Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a California Republican and chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, reportedly has been removed from his job as a staff director amid news of his ties to Russian interests.

"Paul Behrends no longer works at the committee," a Foreign Affairs Committee spokesperson told The Atlantic on Wednesday evening.

Behrends, a longtime aide to Rohrabacher, has been linked to two people now at the center of intrigue over a 2016 Trump Tower meeting during the presidential campaign: Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and lobbyist Rinat Akhmetshin, a Soviet military veteran. According to Politico, Behrends has been the primary contact on Capitol Hill for the pair, who met last June in New York City with President Donald Trump's son, Donald Trump Jr., along with Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and former campaign chief Paul Manafort.
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... ussia-ties
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:25 am

Wow! :shock: Thanks SonicG and SLAD for the links.

And welcome to our new poster thankyouberrymuch over in this related thread:

This Bizarre Chuck C. Johnson/Rohrabacher/Assange Situation
post by thankyouberrymuch » 31 Aug 2017 03:45
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40671

SonicG » 30 Aug 2017 00:45 wrote:You don't know Chuck Johnson? Maybe you just forgot hearing about him because of the generic name...busted for being a general POS a few years ago
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ing-stone/

Here is flashing the WP hand sign with Rohrbacher
<snip>
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alt-right-fi ... 20121.html

He is not to be confused with the Charles Johnson who runs the Little Green Footballs blog.[/quote]
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion