New Operating Manual for Spaceship America

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: New Operating Manual for Spaceship America

Postby Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 pm

The writer worked in Russian reality TV, yet, several people who worked prominently in Russian TV and Media never heard of him at all. Huh, weird that.

Fuck his work. He works for neoconservative war mongers, and right wing oligarchs.

You can't be arsed taking on board critiques of the guy you love so don't lecture anyone else about their bias.

Good to know what your critical eye is looking for in the world. .
Rory

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:59 pm wrote:The writer worked in Russian reality TV, yet, several people who worked prominently in Russian TV and Media never heard of him at all. Huh, weird that.

Your embarrassing yourself and going into fake news territory. "Several people" being the critic who says twice that he doesn't doubt that he was there (listen to your master) and trots out his own person "without last name or recognizable face" to corroborate his not seeing, but believing that the writer was there.

I’d never heard of Pomerantsev while working there; he claims (and I’m sure it’s true) that he spent a few years working for the quasi-western TNT network, where one of my own best friends worked as a top producer for several years. I asked recently him if he or his TNT contacts remembered Pomerantsev there because I'd never heard of him in my years in Moscow; he hadn't either. I don’t doubt he was there; but there is a vague, foggy, masked quality to his writing and to his approach to most things, including his intimate vignettes in his book: people without last names or recognizable faces, characters whose canned descriptions seem lifted from writers’ workshop classes rather than from experience.

Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:59 pm wrote:Fuck his work. He works for neoconservative war mongers, and right wing oligarchs.
You can't be arsed taking on board critiques of the guy you love so don't lecture anyone else about their bias.
Good to know what your critical eye is looking for in the world. .

Yeah, fuck his work. And Anthony Trollope's work to! Fuck that guy. I haven't read his shit. But my high school teacher said he sucked, so fuck him!

I don't know if "arsed taking" is slang or something. No, I'm not in to arse taking.
And in the land of the blind, the one-critical-eyed person is king.

Rory, Greatest Russian Hero, just read the manual. You'll just look silly trying to fly until you do.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Any ZOMG RUSSIA port in a storm for you, Brekin. That's your credibility right there.
Rory

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:40 pm

are you sure you are the one to talk about credibility?
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Karmamatterz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Trump had gotten nearly $3 billion in ‘free’ advertising...

Can you back that up with ad rates for the various broadcast networks?
How about print?
Digital? Would that be digital preroll or just banner ads? Maybe some native or search?

Would really be curious where the $3 billion figure came from? Perhaps thin air?

All that complaining about anybody getting near your vagina? Seriously? Yikes.

Yet ANOTHER thread on RI turned into a lame ass echo chamber of bullshit and tripe about Trump and Russia. Thread jacking is the most consistent sport going on here at RI.
Karmamatterz

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Glad to see you doing your part, Karma.
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Karmamatterz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:10 pm wrote:

How about print?
Digital? Would that be digital preroll or just banner ads? Maybe some native or search?

Would really be curious where the $3 billion figure came from? Perhaps thin air?

All that complaining about anybody getting near your vagina? Seriously? Yikes.

Yet ANOTHER thread on RI turned into a lame ass echo chamber of bullshit and tripe about Trump and Russia. Thread jacking is the most consistent sport going on here at RI.

fuck that shit
Yet ANOTHER .....stupid post

look who is really turning RI turned into a lame ass echo chamber of bullshit

and any fucking man or fucking right wing conservative christian woman or fucking trump your mentor ...who wants to punish a woman who has an abortion ...that wants to fuck with my vagina's right to decide what it can or can not do can go to fucking hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZfjzMx57bs

google is your friend ...

take this and your thin air and....well you can finish the sentence

Trump has gotten nearly $3 billion in ‘free’ advertising
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump- ... 2016-05-06

According to data analytics firm mediaQuant, Trump garnered about $5 billion worth of free media coverage during the election campaign, more than twice the amount earned by Clinton, a lifelong politician who served as secretary of state, senator, and first lady at different times in her career.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-e ... SKBN1341JR

sorry brekin ...I couldn't let that fucking bullshit go unanswered
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:26 pm

seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:42 pm wrote:Trump has gotten nearly $3 billion in ‘free’ advertising

According to data analytics firm mediaQuant, Trump garnered about $5 billion worth of free media coverage during the election campaign, more than twice the amount earned by Clinton, a lifelong politician who served as secretary of state, senator, and first lady at different times in her career.

No worries. I'd say Trump getting $5 billion worth of free media coverage during the election campaign is very pertinent to the OP. Before the election it was basically Trump TV on all channels, which wore down and deflated half of America and over-inflated and emboldened the other half. Now that he is elected it is TNN 24 hours a day. Even his critical channels are basically working for him around the clock, contributing to the complete media saturation of Trump relentlessly. Whether it is a legal or civil dictatorship it definitely is a psychic dictatorship now. Which has parallels with the New Operating Manual for Spaceship America alluded to. Whether you hate or love him, you will never get the chance to be free of him now.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Rory wrote:
brekin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm wrote:
seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:42 pm wrote:Trump has gotten nearly $3 billion in ‘free’ advertising

No worries. I'd say Trump getting $5 billion worth of free media coverage during the election campaign is very pertinent to the OP. Before the election it was basically Trump TV on all channels, which wore down and deflated half of America and over-inflated and emboldened the other half. Now that he is elected it is TNN 24 hours a day. Even his critical channels are basically working for him around the clock, contributing to the complete media saturation of Trump relentlessly. Whether it is a legal or civil dictatorship it definitely is a psychic dictatorship now. Which has parallels with the New Operating Manual for Spaceship America alluded to. Whether you hate or love him, you will never get the chance to be free of him now.

:threadhijacked: :backtotopic:

Rory, I'm going to have to alert a mod if you keep on being annoying and obstructionist in this thread.
Trump and his media coverage has a direct relation to the OP, reality television and media saturation and an authoritarian regime manipulating it for its own end, hence the title New Operating Manual for Spaceship America being based on the Russia's version of that Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible.
I know you don't understand that pretty clear parallel, and willfully work not to, but ignorance is no excuse.

And if you don't agree with the thesis, then by all means argue against that, but baiting and annoying posters with your tired shtick is getting wearisome.

There are numerous threads where you can operate your algorithm of "Any criticism of Russia means you endorse World War III!" that might actually might fit the context. But it isn't working here.

"Stop saying shit like that. It's unprofessional."

brekin

Postby Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Lmao

So funny you're bringing up TD. You loathed TD season 2 without watching and here you are yesterday, berating me for not reading the source material and whining with prissy self importance to defend some neocon/oligarch shill.

Ah, brekin. You're entertaining so I can forgive your patronising air of superiority
Rory

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 am

Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:08 pm wrote:Lmao

So funny you're bringing up TD. You loathed TD season 2 without watching and here you are yesterday, berating me for not reading the source material and whining with prissy self importance to defend some neocon/oligarch shill.

Ah, brekin. You're entertaining so I can forgive your patronising air of superiority

Taste in entertainment is a very relative thing; I often suspect political opinions are just as ephemeral.

Either which way, though: stop with the drive by personal bickering. No reply is often better than a one-line reply, especially if you're using emotiglyphics. I'm addressing you because you can modify your behavior. Brekin and SLAD ain't gonna change this lifetime.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Rory » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 am

Wombaticus Rex » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:54 am wrote:
Rory » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:08 pm wrote:Lmao

Taste in entertainment is a very relative thing; I often suspect political opinions are just as ephemeral.

Either which way, though: stop with the drive by personal bickering. No reply is often better than a one-line reply, especially if you're using emotiglyphics. I'm addressing you because you can modify your behavior. Brekin and SLAD ain't gonna change this lifetime.

OK, fair point. I will focus on restraint.
Rory

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 am

I don't have time, unfortunately, but this looks great.

I'm going to just suck what's good out of the first line:

"In the new Russia, even dictatorship is a reality show."

Very wise, and this has always been so. Dictatorship is the popular form in mass societies other than democracy. And it's always had theater at the center of how it generates power.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:05 am

Karmamatterz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:10 pm wrote:

How about print?

No. Are you someone who lives in the United States? Are you going to pretend you lived in a sealed box in 2015 and 2016, and here I mean prior to the primaries? (After which it got worse.) Or are you just going to roll over and deny what we all experienced in terms of the corporate media-driven Trump flood?

Here is a small sample, December 2015:

https://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/12/1 ... -on/207428

81:1.

Does that ratio seem out of whack? That's the ratio of TV airtime that ABC World News Tonight has devoted to Donald Trump's campaign (81 minutes) versus the amount of TV time World News Tonight has devoted to Bernie Sanders' campaign this year. And even that one minute for Sanders is misleading because the actual number is closer to 20 seconds.

For the entire year.

(snip)

So in terms of stand-alone campaign stories this year, it's been 234 minutes for Trump, compared to 10 minutes for Sanders. And at ABC World News Tonight, it's been 81 minutes for Trump and less than one minute for Sanders.

Other Tyndall Report findings:

*Trump has received more network coverage than all the Democratic candidates combined.

*Trump has accounted for 27 percent of all campaign coverage his year.

*Republican Jeb Bush received 56 minutes of coverage, followed by Ben Carson's 54 minutes and Marco Rubio's 22.

Did you notice the Bush figure? He's garnered 56 minutes of network news coverage, far outpacing Sanders, even though he is currently wallowing in fifth place in the polls among Republicans. And you know who has also received 56 minutes of network news compared to Sanders' 10? Joe Biden and his decision not to run for president.

Network nightly news is only a fraction of what happened, of course. Every morning he felt like, he got to call Morning Joe and get 8-10 free minutes, which then set the yap-yap agenda for the cable news and news-lite blanket coverage for the rest of the day.

The corporate media, after 15-30 years of creating the Trump character as a positive avatar of the American dream (and letting him bully people ceaselessly on his own show), proceeded to make the Trump campaign in 2015-2016. I will take Les Moonves' perception of this matter over yours. Pretending otherwise only works with deliberate (or awesomely neurotic) blocking of one's perception and memory.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Karmamatterz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:33 pm

The article: "That’s based on media coverage and the equivalent advertising rates."

Yeah, that number was pulled out of their asses. Without detailed analysis of each and every broadcaster shown I still call it bullshit. Rounding the number up to $3 billion is the obvious red flag. It's a dog whistle shitty article based on crap. Anybody that knows anything about advertising knows this.

While you may split hairs over this, airtime is not the same as paid advertising. Rather than waste time going into the many specifics of the differences and nuances of what metrics would be involved with this I stick to my guns. The article is crap. Doesn't mean Drumpf didn't get more airtime, just saying the article is shit and borderline clickbait.
Karmamatterz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion