New Operating Manual for Spaceship America

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

New Operating Manual for Spaceship America

Postby brekin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 pm

For those who want to know and are willing to read more than 140 characters.
This book lays out how corruption/reality show culture/nationalism/gangster-ism/dictatorship/secret service/intelligence/self promotion/machismo/conservative religion can all gel into a force that sucks democracy and human rights bone dry. Coming to a country near you. Oops, too late.

https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-True-Eve ... 1610396006

In the new Russia, even dictatorship is a reality show.

Professional killers with the souls of artists, would-be theater directors turned Kremlin puppet-masters, suicidal supermodels, Hell's Angels who hallucinate themselves as holy warriors, and oligarch revolutionaries: welcome to the glittering, surreal heart of twenty-first-century Russia. It is a world erupting with new money and new power, changing so fast it breaks all sense of reality, home to a form of dictatorship—far subtler than twentieth-century strains—that is rapidly rising to challenge the West.

When British producer Peter Pomerantsev plunges into the booming Russian TV industry, he gains access to every nook and corrupt cranny of the country. He is brought to smoky rooms for meetings with propaganda gurus running the nerve-center of the Russian media machine, and visits Siberian mafia-towns and the salons of the international super-rich in London and the US. As the Putin regime becomes more aggressive, Pomerantsev finds himself drawn further into the system.

Dazzling yet piercingly insightful, Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible is an unforgettable voyage into a country spinning from decadence into madness.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: New Operating Manual for Spaceship America

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Mark Dery called it here with The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium in 1999.

I don't know if this counts as an addition to your OP. But the themes are the same.

http://markdery.com/?page_id=142

I wish I still had the book, but like all the books I ever bought, I always wind up loaning them out.

“From the far left to the far right, on talk radio and the op-ed page, more and more Americans believe that the social fabric is unraveling. Celebrity worship and media frenzy, suicidal cultists and heavily armed secessionists: modern life seems to have become a ‘pyrotechnic insanitarium,’ Mark Dery says, borrowing a turn-of-the-century name for Coney Island. Dery elucidates the meaning to our madness, deconstructing American culture from mainstream forces like Disney and Nike to fringe phenomena like the Unabomber and alien invaders. Our millennial angst, he argues, is a product of a pervasive cultural anxiety—a combination of the social and economic upheaval wrought by global capitalism and the paranoia fanned by media sensationalism. The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium is a theme-park ride through the extremes of American culture of which The Atlantic Monthly has written, ‘Mark Dery confirms once again what writers and thinkers as disparate as Nathanael West, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Sigmund Freud, and Oliver Sacks have already shown us: the best place to explore the human condition is at its outer margins, its pathological extremes.'”
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm

"New(really?) Operating Manual for Spaceship America"

I always had my doubts about your ability to think clearly but I suppose this is a welcome and unambiguous declaration.

I for one recognise your new overlords. Same as the old overlords. Pretending otherwise is a just and fair mockery of everything you ever professed you believed in.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Rory » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm wrote:"New(really?) Operating Manual for Spaceship America"

I always had my doubts about your ability to think clearly but I suppose this is a welcome and unambiguous declaration.

I for one recognise your new overlords. Same as the old overlords. Pretending otherwise is a just and fair mockery of everything you ever professed you believed in.

But Russia!

You sure you're not a Putin bot, Harvey?
Rory

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm

To remove any ambiguity, it seems to me that everything you fear in Russia is precisely what you loathe about America and perhaps yourself. To see the above as an attack upon America via Trump is delicious precisely because you're looking into a mirror which your country constructed, almost to the last detail.

Enjoy. :yay
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Rory » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 pm wrote:
Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm wrote:"New(really?) Operating Manual for Spaceship America"

But Russia!

You sure you're not a Putin bot, Harvey?

Much as I love the way he looks with his shirt off, especially when he's all wet... :basicsmile
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:55 pm

I am an American citizen that has the right to not want a president that owes his soul to the Russian mob
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Russia is nothing new or special; the same critique was in fashion 10 years ago re: Silvio's Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocracy_(film)

Television has been blamed for the dumbing down of the American public since the ascendance of the boob tube in the 1950s. But in Italy, where scandal-plagued prime minister Silvio Berlusconi controls the flow of information through his monopolistic holdings in that nation’s biggest media conglomerates, there is a more insidious aspect to the chronic press muzzling at RAI and trashy tits-and-ass programming that predominate on his Mediaset channels. If you want to get a sense of how the billionaire entrepreneur’s televisual imagination has transformed the political and mass-media landscape in Italy, Erik Gandini’s cunningly choreographed documentary Videocracy provides plenty of food for thought, taking a gimlet-eyed view of the Berlusconi phenomenon. But instead of stampeding into this tangle of cultural conflict with rhetorical guns a-blazing, Gandini, an Italian-born filmmaker based in Sweden (Gitmo: The New Rules of War), adopts a far subtler, more intriguingly first-person approach.

Both are just a funhouse reflection of what America gave them to work with. We are the originators and still the best.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm

seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:55 pm wrote:I am an American citizen that has the right to not want a president that owes his soul to the Russian mob

You are indeed. Exactly that. No more, no less.*

*See Die Hard 5. Easing you gently into the new reality. Where Russians are 'evil' and Americans are 'good.' Native Americans. Japan. Mexico. Guatemala. Chile. Indonesia. Nicaragua. El Salvador. Vietnam. Laos. Cambodia. Korea. Iran. Afghanistan. Iraq. Libya. Syria. Yemen. And so on.
Last edited by Harvey on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:11 pm

oh Harvey do not lecture me on my rights and what I am entitled to....ALAS

one of those rights is for a old white man to stay the fuck out of my vagina!
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:13 pm

seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:11 pm wrote:oh Harvey do not lecture me on my rights and what I am entitled to....ALAS

Wouldn't dream of enhancing your victim status.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:14 pm

I am not a victim

WTF where the fuck is that coming from

one of those rights is for a old white man who owes his soul to the Russian mob to stay the fuck out of my vagina!
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm not a victim. I am. I'm not! You're victimising me!
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

I never said that quit making shit up
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:22 pm

seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:18 pm wrote:I never said that quit making shit up

Quit making stuff up? I guess I leave the last word to you.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Next

Return to General Discussion