[POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Should the ignore function be abolished?

Yes.
41%
No. (State reasons.)
59%

Total votes : 27

[POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 am

The "ignore" function undermines the very idea of a discussion board.

It encourages dishonesty.

It eases the task of trolls and spooks.

It rewards cowardice and evasiveness.

It is an open invitation to abuse this General Discussion board as a private Data Dump -- and this despite the fact that Jeff and Drew took the time and trouble to set up an actual Data Dump to avoid precisely this problem.

It has allowed one disingenous and solipsistic poster in particular to take giant dumps all over RI General Discussion for years, to the disgust of nearly everyone, yet nothing is ever done about it. Many valued and honest posters have just given up and left because of this.

The "ignore" function has been an unmitigated disaster for this discussion board. It should be abolished.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: [POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:The "ignore" function undermines the very idea of a discussion board.
It encourages dishonesty.
It eases the task of trolls and spooks.
It rewards cowardice and evasiveness.
It is an open invitation to abuse this General Discussion board as a private Data Dump -- and this despite the fact that Jeff and Drew took the time and trouble to set up an actual Data Dump to avoid precisely this problem.
It has allowed one disingenous and solipsistic poster in particular to take giant dumps all over RI General Discussion for years, to the disgust of nearly everyone, yet nothing is ever done about it. Many valued and honest posters have just given up and left because of this.
The "ignore" function has been an umitigated disaster for this discussion board. It should be abolished.

Let me get this straight.
You have a problem with "one disingenous [sic] and solipsistic poster in particular".
So you want to get rid of the "ignore" function.
When you could use the "ignore" function to solve your problem with the one poster you have an issue with?
Truly an example of "the problem is the solution".

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Heaven Swan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Exactly. I honestly don't get it.

Could someone please explain the 'ignore' function, how it is used and why it is (or isn't) percieved as a problem
I'm a bit late to the game and wouldn't know what I'm voting for or against.

Thanks!
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby norton ash » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Yeah, I don't use it. Some folks might feel that they need to, so if they want it... they can have it. I just skim and scroll predictable pasta.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby 82_28 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:50 pm

I think it is insulting and I would never use it. This place pretty much polices itself. But ignore is dumb. Not that its implementation was a dumb idea. Back before Tumbleweed Town there were a ton of kooks here. I think they have been mostly sifted out due to pure attrition.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I've ignored the ignore function so am ignorant about whether or not its useful.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:57 pm

brekin wrote:
Let me get this straight.
You have a problem with "one disingenous [sic] and solipsistic poster in particular".
So you want to get rid of the "ignore" function.
When you could use the "ignore" function to solve your problem with the one poster you have an issue with?
Truly an example of "the problem is the solution".

You haven't got it straight.

Once more, slowly: A discussion in which the participants are allowed and encouraged to ignore each other is not merely a worthless discussion; it is not a discussion at all.

Not a discussion.

brekin wrote:So you want to get rid of the "ignore" function.

No, that wouldn't solve it at all, obviously. My problem with that poster (and it is most certainly not mine alone) is that he abuses this Discussion Board as his own private Data Dump, thereby spoiling the Discussion Board. If I and a hundred other posters were to ignore the fact that he is abusing the board, that would do precisely nothing to alter the fact that he is abusing the board and thereby spoiling it. Just as choosing to ignore child abuse does precisely nothing to solve the problem of child abuse. Just as ignoring flytipping does nothing to discourage flytipping. On the contrary.

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Hee hee! Cordelia, you took the words right outa my mouth!

FFS, people need a button to press in order to consciously ignore others?

Talk about mental slavery!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm

I understand you're frustrated Mac, but would it be any different if they were separate posts from many members? I really see more complaints from you about one member's postings than I do of efforts from you to engage in discussing the topic posted. If RI had a great number of active posters the 'problem' of too much information to follow would be the same but with no individual to blame.

I've come to accept frumenschen's posting style myself.
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:37 pm

It's not fruhmenschen I'm talking about. Fruhmenschen is harmless by comparison, and he did at least take most of his dumps to the actual Data Dump, eventually.

Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:32 pm wrote:I really see more complaints from you about one member's postings than I do of efforts from you to engage in discussing the topic posted.

Precisely what would be the point of me "making an effort to engage in discussing the topic posted", when the disingenuous solipsist who started the topic has placed me -- and almost every other poster on this (former) Discussion Board -- "on ignore"?

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Oh, I see. a different problem. Being ignored.

Hell, you'll get used to it, I assure you.

I was joking about fru being in your crosshairs.

Perhaps you might try using the ignore button to block that person's postings from your view. Perhaps that will remedy your issue?
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 pm wrote:
Perhaps you might try using the ignore button to block that person's postings from your view. Perhaps that will remedy your issue?

*Sigh* Is this Groundhog Day? See my reply to brekin, above. *Sigh* Is this Groundhog Day? See my reply to brekin, above. *Sigh* Is this

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Well, you could try the ignore button.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Seriously, did you consider my question? Asking you what the difference would be if the volume of information posted came from one or fifty?

I'd really like you to answer this.

No snark, just your honest answer.
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:02 pm

IAWIA, I'm not sure what point you're making. If 50 posters were to abuse both the rules and the spirit of this Discussion Board as badly as Poster X (let's call him Albanian Delusion) does, then yes, the board would be even less fit for purpose than it is. If 50 posters rather than just one poster were to have everyone else "on ignore", then that would make discussion approximately 50x less likely. But so what? Practically all other posters here have much better manners than he has, so I don't see why you're forcing me to spell out this these hypothetical scenarios so pedantically.

It does function as a reductio ad absurdum, though. Imagine what this place would be like if every RI member carried on the way he does.

https://justmerveilleux.wordpress.com/2 ... levisions/

If I want to subject myself to a torrent of random bullshit with no opportunity to talk back to it, then I'll just buy a dozen TV sets and take out a cable subscription.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Next

Return to General Discussion