Inside the Illuminati with Rosie Kay and Adam Curtis

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Rosie Kay has trained with the army and delved into tribal rituals for her bold dance shows. In her latest, MK Ultra, she’s investigating the secret society believed to be brainwashing Beyoncé and Bieber

Judith Mackrell Judith Mackrell
Monday 13 March 2017 13.49 EDT Last modified on Tuesday 14 March 2017 07.35 EDT

“I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole,” admits Rosie Kay with a slightly wild giggle, as she describes the world of conspiracies, cults and celebrities that she has been exploring for her latest work. The choreographer has long been known for her brave and sometimes surprising choices, and for the depth of research she undertakes. She and her dancers spent weeks in training with the British army for 5 Soldiers, while for Sluts of Possession she worked with the School of Anthropology at Oxford, investigating tribal and spiritual ritual. None of her projects, though, have taken her into such alien territory as MK Ultra.

Named after the experiments in mind control that the CIA developed during the last century, Kay’s new show explores the phenomenon of the Illuminati, a shadowy cult believed to be on an elaborate mission of global domination, spreading its agenda through the brainwashing of prominent individuals in politics and the media.

Belief in the cult is particularly strong among young people, and when Kay first began hearing about it from the teenagers who came to her dance workshops, she discovered that pop stars are considered to be the Illuminati’s most targeted “recruits”. Groomed from a young age, singers like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan and Kanye West have supposedly been made agents of the Illuminati’s New World Order, their songs and videos carrying messages designed to subtly alter the public’s consciousness. According to Kay, “the under-25s now have a whole system for decoding the imagery of music videos, looking for symbols like thrones, butterflies, checkered floors and bird cages, to see if they’re carrying the cult’s message and to see which celebrities have been programmed”.

Kay is bemused by the bizarre extravagance of this conspiracy theory. “There’s no actual evidence for any of it,” she says briskly. “A cult called the Illuminati did exist in Bavaria in the 17th century, but no one really knows why so many young people believe they’re around today.” What fascinates her are the reasons why belief in the Illuminati has taken so powerful a hold today. She attributes it partly to the unfettered scope of celebrity culture, and the levels of fantasy it has disseminated, and partly to the paranoia and uncertainty that has been generated by our current era of fake news: “So much doubt is now being cast on mainstream media, so many people are taking their information from alternative sources, and it’s having such a dangerous effect on politics.” As one of Kay’s teenage sources said to her: “We used to be told what was real by our leaders, but since recent events we’ve been let down. Now we fend for ourselves.”

Conspiracy theories aren’t easy subjects to choreograph around, but Kay developed an idea for a piece that would tell the story of a group of would-be celebrities who have been suckered into the cult of the Illuminati and are struggling to maintain their individuality and their grasp on the real world. Initially, she envisaged the piece as a pure dance narrative, choreographed, designed and staged in the style of a pop video. But as part of her research she began talking to the film-maker Adam Curtis, who persuaded her that she had to layer more documentary-style material into the work to make its context and significance clear. “As Adam pointed out, most people under 25 will have heard of the Illuminati, but a lot of my contemporary dance audience won’t. He said, ‘You have to give them some way in, otherwise they’ll be scratching their heads and thinking, Rosie has really gone mad this time.’”

‘Once I’ve decided on an idea, nothing’s going to stop me’ … Rosie Kay.

There have certainly been moments during the making of MK Ultra when Kay has felt overwhelmed by the “bonkers” nature of the world she’s entered. Its dangerous levels of credulity and fantasy have also been underlined for her by the fact that, during this same period, she and her company have been touring 5 Soldiers and have been dealing with issues that are far starker. 5 Soldiers is a subtle and humane portrait of army life in which Kay tells the stories of five men and women who have experienced different forms of trauma while serving on the front line. The work has proved a revelation to its civilian audiences, but in the last 18 months it has also toured to several army bases, and in the process it has brought Kay into movingly intimate contact with individual soldiers. “Often they’ve come into the hall looking press-ganged and anxious. They’ve obviously been told they had to come and see the show. But afterwards we haven’t been able to get them out – they’ve wanted to tell us so many stories about their own experiences. One soldier who lost both of his legs in Afghanistan has become a good friend and a big supporter of the piece.”

Touring 5 Soldiers has also put Kay into unexpectedly close contact with top-level military personnel. When she first began to research the work, the army gave her only “grudging” access, but once they recognised the cathartic effect that it was having on the soldiers who saw it, as well as the valuable insights it offered to civilian audiences, they were very keen to offer funding and support. As Kay says: “Nick Carter, the head of the British army, has been pushing to make it more representative. He’s been pushing for more women and BAME [recruits], and he sees the arts as a good way to present a more complex portrait of the army to the wider community.” So great an impact has 5 Soldiers made that Carter has just appointed a top-ranking lieutenant colonel to act as the army’s first arts engagement officer, and Kay is justly proud of the fact that the latter’s first official act was to meet with her and ask for advice about future projects.

Tour de force … Kay’s 5 Soldiers. Photograph: Tristram Kenton for the Guardian
Kay’s addicted to the process of researching a new subject, and says: “Once I’ve decided on an idea for a work, nothing’s going to stop me.” But she also believes that dance can be a force for change, and is very concerned that the artform isn’t nurturing more radical and political voices. “Sometimes I think we’ve all swallowed the marketing-speak book. We’re under so much pressure to be successful and accessible, we’re so worried about pulling in the numbers, that we’re in danger of losing our bite.”

MK Ultra is at Birmingham Rep, 17-18 March. Then touring the UK until 18 May.
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/ ... e-mk-ultra

MK ULTRA
DELVING INTO THE ILLUMINATI

Enter the hypnotic world of MK ULTRA. Rosie Kay’s new work is a high energy, supercharged mash-up of thrilling dance, music and imagery. It is inspired by the bizarre realm of pop culture mind control conspiracies.

Rosie Kay is one of the UK’s leading female choreographers. She is renowned for her athletic movement, rigorous research and intelligent theatricality. Choreographer to the hit film Sunshine on Leith, Kay is best known for the five star award-winning 5 SOLDIERS.

MK ULTRA is a CIA code word for a real LSD fuelled brainwashing technique developed by the US military. Popular conspiracy theory believes that MK ULTRA is still active and programmes certain pop stars as puppets of the ‘Illuminati’, a shadowy elite intent on creating a New World Order of authoritarian world government.

Exploring popular culture has never been so odd- a world filled with satanic images, occult messages, hidden symbols and hyper-sexualisation, this stuff is packaged as mainstream and sold across the globe.

Kay, with a typically fearless eye, delves deeply into this world and conjures up something entirely new, subverting the subversive. If you didn’t know about the Illuminati, you soon will and if you did, expect MK ULTRA to shatter the Illuminati’s illusory control.

http://rosiekay.co.uk/mk-ultra-delving- ... lluminati/

MK Ultra review – Adam Curtis doc dominates Rosie Kay's Illuminati dance

Laban theatre, London
In a stylish collaboration, the film-maker and choreographer explore the myth of a shadowy cult attempting world domination through mass brainwashing
Shelley Eva Haden, centre, in MK Ultra by Rosie Kay Dance Company
Charismatic candidate … Shelley Eva Haden, centre, in MK Ultra by Rosie Kay Dance Company. Photograph: Tristram Kenton for the Guardian

Judith Mackrell
Friday 21 April 2017 09.42 EDT Last modified on Friday 21 April 2017 13.37 EDT

Against a rising tide of fake news and conspiracy theories, choreographer Rosie Kay and film-maker Adam Curtis have found a timely subject for their new collaboration, MK Ultra. Splicing together documentary footage and a pumped-up stream of dance and music, this two-hour work tells the story of how a generation of under-25s have come to believe in the Illuminati, a shadowy cult they say is attempting world domination through mass brainwashing.

According to popular myth, the cult operates by grooming targeted individuals to become celebrities, using pop stars such as Britney Spears to disseminate the cult’s agenda through the content of their songs and videos. MK Ultra is an exceptionally stylish production. Illuminati imagery percolates through every aspect of its design, from the pyramid-shaped film screen to the arcane symbols that decorate the seven dancers’ costumes.

Curtis’s documentary uses a characteristically sophisticated blend of contemporary interview and archive footage to narrate the rise of the Illuminati myth, while Kay’s choreography portrays a group of dancers who have apparently been signed up to the Illuminati programme, drilling themselves for stardom through a relentlessly competitive (and cleverly parodic) regime of twerking, urban, sexy moves.

There are the beginnings of an emotional subtext here, as Kay portrays vivid moments of slippage between the dancers’ individual personalities and the automated efficiency of their stage personas. Lizzie Klotz hints at a vulnerable girl, artlessly practising her celebrity smile and her faux foxy strut: Shelley Eva Haden is the most obvious and charismatic candidate for success, but there are times when even her character’s self-belief falters and her body stalls into a dysfunctional shudder.

Frustratingly, these hints of an interior life are undeveloped, and the work remains dominated by Curtis’s film. Clearly, the myth of the Illuminati was an important starting point for Kay, but while her choreography seems to strive towards a more humanly imagined dimension, the film sequences keep pulling her back into the realm of documentary fact.

• At Eden Court, Inverness, 25 April. Box office: 01463 234234. Then touring until 18 May.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Inside the Illuminati with Rosie Kay and Adam Curtis

Postby semper occultus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm

might check that out - thanks
semper occultus

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Project Willow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 pm

I cannot watch Adam Curtis videos, they screw with my head, and I mean in some sort of unconscious triggering way, not anything to do with the concepts. I wonder if anyone else has this trouble. Also, hey artists, please stop representationally equating a very real CIA program with fringe conspiracy beliefs. Maybe it's just my bias at work, but that dance piece is awful.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Project Willow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 pm wrote:I cannot watch Adam Curtis videos, they screw with my head, and I mean in some sort of unconscious triggering way, not anything to do with the concepts. I wonder if anyone else has this trouble.

Yes, but I wouldn't call it trouble. I'd call it noticing the difference between 1) a two-bit impresario and a 2) real artist or a serious thinker.

Also, hey artists, please stop representationally equating a very real CIA program with fringe conspiracy beliefs.

Precisely. It's just sickeningly stupid and dishonest, i.e. it's precisely the opposite of a real artwork or a serious thought.

Maybe it's just my bias at work, but that dance piece is awful.

It's not just your bias at work. The blurb for the piece is the worst kind of artbabble, and the Guardian's response to it is the worst kind of Guardian 'arts' review, i.e. a typical one.

- From a previous, six-page, thread on The Great Admo, the Guardian's and the BBC's favourite "subversive genius" (why would that be?):

MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:08 am wrote:
[...]

Here's Adam Curtis holding a TV set:

"My new show is about to start. You may may experience some anxiety at first, but it's nothing to worry about. So just sit back and relax...relax...relax... for the next three hours.... You will remember nothing when you awake."

I've heard his work described as "mesmerising". Truer word was never spoken. He's a hypnotist. Check your pockets when you wake up.

That's Entertainment!
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Hey, thanks SLAD! I was wondering when we could get to see it. I agree with Willow that his shit does tend to fuck with your head. But I am always amazed by Curtis and the historical BBC footage of seemingly everything. I just don't know how he always links everything together. He must have a relatively massive team.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Per the brief clip, this looks - to correct the featured review blurb in the promo - "jawdroppingly [terrible]."

Last bumped by seemslikeadream on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 pm.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Return to General Discussion