Alternate facts

Make America great again
Asta

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Words and Phrases You Hate

Postby 82_28 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Walks or Walked back.

Also

Pivot. Though I do not mind it when it comes to sports.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 am

Professional caregivers

Romantic love

Hollywood

Disney
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby identity » Sat May 06, 2017 5:14 pm

cis
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby dada » Sat May 06, 2017 8:53 pm

All of them. Every single one. Especially phrases.

Yes, I know you need them to communicate, and I'm fairly adept at using them when I have to. But I'm a professional, and a space alien. I keep telling you this, but you don't believe me. I think unprofessional, non-space aliens shouldn't be allowed to use words and phrases without a license.

Let me explain something. Words are just cannoli shells. You fill them with creamy meaning. Most people use store bought cream. It's a goddamn crime.

And I'll let you in on a little secret. There's really only one word. If you know it, you hide it under all the others. If you don't know the word, I can't tell you it. It's one of those things, like jazz.

It's helpful if you think of phrases like food. Are you ordering fast food, or making a good home cooked meal. Either way, phrases should only be reheated once, then thrown out. It's disgusting how people pass around the same phrases. That's how you get phrase poisoning.

I live in an area where people say "It is what it is" all the time. A throwing up the hands in utter defeat kind of thing. Usually it's something to do with people being less important than money, or having to deal with the mundane insanity of bureaucracy that surrounds us everyday. But it could be anything. So fucking annoying. Well, it is what it is.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Elvis » Sat May 06, 2017 8:56 pm

^^^^ You nailed it on the head.

"Clichés are a dime a dozen."
—Albert Einstein
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat May 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Redundant phrases, via George Carlin:

“Total abstinence”.

“Subject matter”.

“Honest truth”.

“Join together”.

“General public”.

“Harbinger of things to come”.

“New initiative”.

“Audible gasp”.

“Advance warning”.

“Execution-style killing”.

“Future plans”.

“Gather together”.

“Jewish synagogue”.

“Lag behind”.

“Manual dexterity”.

“Occasional irregularity”.

“Outer rim”.

“Plan ahead”.

“Basic fundamentals”.

“First time ever”.

“Personal friend”, and…

“Shrug one’s shoulders”.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Sun May 07, 2017 3:25 pm

ALL NEW!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 am

'Friended'

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby divideandconquer » Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 am

I don't feel so bad after reading this from "Passing English from the Victorian Era"
Here are a few:
Afternoonified A society word meaning “smart.” Forrester demonstrates the usage: "The goods are not 'afternoonified' enough for me.”

Bags o’ Mystery An 1850 term for sausages, “because no man but the maker knows what is in them. ... The 'bag' refers to the gut which contained the chopped meat.”

Bang up to the elephant This phrase originated in London in 1882, and means “perfect, complete, unapproachable.”

Bow wow mutton A naval term referring to meat so bad “it might be dog flesh.”

Bricky Brave or fearless. “Adroit after the manner of a brick," Forrester writes, "said even of the other sex, 'What a bricky girl she is.'”

Bubble Around A verbal attack, generally made via the press. Forrester cites The Golden Butterfly: "I will back a first-class British subject for bubbling around against all humanity."

Butter Upon Bacon Extravagance. Too much extravagance. “Are you going to put lace over the feather, isn't that rather butter upon bacon?”

. Church-bell A talkative woman.

Chuckaboo A nickname given to a close friend.

Damfino This creative cuss is a contraction of “damned if I know.”

Dizzy Age A phrase meaning "elderly," because it "makes the spectator giddy to think of the victim's years." The term is usually refers to "a maiden or other woman canvassed by other maiden ladies or others.”

Doing the Bear "Courting that involves hugging."

Don’t sell me a dog Popular until 1870, this phrase meant “Don’t lie to me!” Apparently, people who sold dogs back in the day were prone to trying to pass off mutts as purebreds.

Door-knocker A type of beard "formed by the cheeks and chin being shaved leaving a chain of hair under the chin, and upon each side of mouth forming with moustache something like a door-knocker."

Gal-sneaker An 1870 term for "a man devoted to seduction.”

Gas-Pipes A term for especially tight pants.

and this:

1) Too high for his nut — beyond someone's reach. "That clay-bank hog wants the same pay as a Senator; he's getting too high for his nut," according to a grammar-corrected version of the Oakland, Calif., Tribune on Jan. 12, 1885.

2) Bottom fact — an undisputed fact. "Notwithstanding all the calculations of the political economists, the great bottom fact is that one man's honest, steady work, rightly applied, especially if aided by machinery and improved modes of conveyance and distribution, suffices to supply the actual needs of a dozen burdensome loafers," according to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle of Jan. 31, 1871.

3) To be Chicagoed — to be beaten soundly, as in a baseball shutout. "Political corruption ... if the clergy only keep to that topic, Lincoln will be Chicagoed!" from the Plymouth, Ind., Weekly Democrat of June 7, 1860.

4) See the elephant — to see all the sights of a town, especially the edgier aspects. "A young Sioux Indian from Haskell Institute ... said he was going to Chicago to hunt buffalo. He was told there was no game of that kind there, but that if he wanted to see the elephant he was on the right track," the Lawrence, Kan., Daily Journal reported on Sept. 2, 1891. Also sometimes used by members of the military to describe going to war.

5) How came you so — inebriated. Describing an illustration, a reporter in the Gettysburg, Pa., People's Press of May 22, 1835, wrote: "A gentleman a little 'how came you so' with his hat on the back of his head, is staggering about in the presence of Miss Fanny, who appears to be quite shocked."

6) Lally-cooler — a real success. "That north show window of Shute & Haskell's is a 'lally-cooler,' " the Jan. 4, 1890, Salina, Kan., Republican noted.

7) Shinning around — moving about quickly. "It is shinning around corners to avoid meeting creditors that is sapping the energies of this generation," opined the Dallas, Texas, Daily Herald on Oct. 31, 1877.

8) Shoddyocracy — people who get rich selling shoddy merchandise or services. "A lady of the shoddyocracy of Des Moines found, on returning from a walk, some call cards on her table," observed the Harrisburg, Pa., Telegraph of June 30, 1870.

9) Some pumpkins — a big deal. "If there was any kind of trading," noted the Grant County Herald in Wisconsin on July 17, 1847, "in which Simon B. ... flattered himself he was decidedly 'some pumpkins,' it was a horse-trade."

10) Like Thompson's colt — doing something unnecessarily, like jumping a fence when the rails have been removed. "Thompson's colt," a reporter in the Saint Paul, Minn., Globe of Nov. 20, 1882, wrote, "was such an infernal idiot, that he swam across the river to get a drink."

11) Tell a thumper — construct a clever lie. "When anyone told a thumper more palpably outrageous than usual, it was sufficiently understood ..." Reminiscences of the Turf by William Day, 1891.

12) Wake snakes — get into mischief. "So I went on a regular wake snakes sort of a spree, and I went here and there turnin', twistin' and doublin' about until I didn't know where or who I was," a man testified in court as to why he was intoxicated, according to the New Orleans, La., Times Picayune of Aug. 15, 1842.

My favorite is Shoddyocracy.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby Cordelia » Mon May 08, 2017 6:03 pm

^^^ Far out!

From above, I also dug liked--

"Damfino -- This creative cuss is a contraction of “damned if I know.”

Wake snakes — get into mischief. "So I went on a regular wake snakes sort of a spree, and I went here and there turnin', twistin' and doublin' about until I didn't know where or who I was," a man testified in court as to why he was intoxicated, according to the New Orleans, La., Times Picayune of Aug. 15, 1842."

A 1960's slang PDF (though ' far out' 'dug' & even 'groovy' aren't included :shock2: ):

http://www.citrus.k12.fl.us/staffdev/so ... 01960s.pdf

Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 am

^^^ Cool!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 am

^^^ 'dug' is listed in its present tense. I was just being a 'ditz'

My computer may be 'crashing'. For real

Cordelia

Postby liminalOyster » Tue May 09, 2017 10:48 am

If I had 16 to be again, I'd right now be naming my band "some pumpkins" and our first 45 "wake snakes."
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Thu May 11, 2017 10:07 am

Damfino, just say it out loud, works perfectly, thanks Cordelia!

Caught myself saying "no problem" for "you're welcome" the other day.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion