Leslie Kean's new book "Surviving Death"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Leslie Kean's new book "Surviving Death"

Postby operator kos » Wed May 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Resurfacing here because I'd be interested in hearing y'alls thoughts about this. Many of you probably know of Leslie Kean as the author of UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record . I haven't read it myself, but I hear that it's a quality book with sober research and presentation. Kean recently came out with a new book examining another paranormal topic, the evidence relating to an afterlife, reincarnation, near death experiences, end of life experiences, and even mediumship. Gordon White of Rune Soup did a pretty good interview with her: https://runesoup.com/2017/04/talking-after-death-contact-with-leslie-kean/ which you can also view here:

For me, one of the most compelling parts was where they talked about a supposed reincarnation case where a young kid provided a huge amount details about a past life which it seems extremely unlikely he could have gotten through other means. It had the ring of authenticity, but it could certainly also be woo-woo charlatanism. It doesn't seem like the kid or his family ever benefited from the story though. Anyways, with all the depressing geopolitical stuff going around, I thought this might be a nice taste of the good old days at RI when all sorts of high weirdness was discussed regularly.
operator kos

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Leslie Kean's new book "Surviving Death"

Postby Elvis » Wed May 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Great topic, thanks.

operator kos wrote:a young kid provided a huge amount details about a past life which it seems extremely unlikely he could have gotten through other means.

This is much more common than most people realize.

I haven't listened to the interview with Leslie Kean yet, or read her new book, but be sure to check and compare with U of Virginia reincarnation studies:

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/

They've interviewed hundreds of kids & families in similar cases.

It's real. Within a few generations it'll be one of those 'obvious' aspects of life, and people will chuckle over the old, primitive beliefs about life and death.

Scientists, too:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15948&p=635938&hilit=questioning+consciousness#p635938

...in this paradigm-shifting hour. Dr. Lanza provides a compelling argument for consciousness as the basis for the universe, rather than consciousness simply being its by-product.

(One day I'll start a thread about that. It's tantra all the way down, baby.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 pm

"At what age is it appropriate to start talking to your child about their past lives?" sounds like the start of a great Scarfolk Council poster or Subgenius radio show.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby identity » Thu May 04, 2017 1:25 am

"At what age is it appropriate to start talking to your child about their past lives?"

Taking that question seriously: unless they previously died a violent and/or premature death (murder/suicide/accident sort of thing), in most cultures it's rather unlikely they'll remember and there will never be any need to bring it up; if they do (unfortunately) remember, obviously the time to talk to them about it is when they themselves start referring to their former existence, perhaps around the age of three or four.
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby SonicG » Thu May 04, 2017 6:40 am

Making the rounds recently FWIW:

Meet the Boy Who Believes He Was Lou Gehrig in a Past Life (His Mom Is Convinced, Too)
http://people.com/books/meet-the-boy-wh ... inced-too/

Caveats include People Mag and "The Boy Who Knew Too Much is on sale Tuesday and, in its next life, will hit the big screen."
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 am

identity » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 am wrote:
"At what age is it appropriate to start talking to your child about their past lives?"

Taking that question seriously: unless they previously died a violent and/or premature death (murder/suicide/accident sort of thing), in most cultures it's rather unlikely they'll remember and there will never be any need to bring it up; if they do (unfortunately) remember, obviously the time to talk to them about it is when they themselves start referring to their former existence, perhaps around the age of three or four.

I did have the conversation about when and if we should ever talk to our nephew about it, so it was an honest question with an unserious added statement at the end.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby operator kos » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

That link is a goldmine of great info- thanks, Elvis!
operator kos

Postby Searcher08 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Anyone else interested in Brian Weiss's work?
This is a 30 minute hypnotic regression induction. Very interesting to explore.
Searcher08

Postby operator kos » Thu May 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Looking into this more, it seems like there are numerous cases that do not involve hypnotic regression. In other words, there are lots of kids who just spontaneously started talking about a past life. Here's another short video about a kid who provided lots of concrete details about a WWII fighter pilot which were later verified:

operator kos

Postby Elvis » Thu May 04, 2017 3:02 pm

operator kos » Thu May 04, 2017 11:44 am wrote:Looking into this more, it seems like there are numerous cases that do not involve hypnotic regression. In other words, there are lots of kids who just spontaneously started talking about a past life. Here's another short video about a kid who provided lots of concrete details about a WWII fighter pilot which were later verified:

Yes! That boy's story is amazing, and seems irrefutable. No hypnosis.

Glad you found the link useful!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby peartreed » Thu May 04, 2017 4:44 pm

I’ve been fascinated with Kean’s research and books exploring adjacent dimensions.

My own family history includes a grandfather who survived WW1 as a Thompson machine gunner wounded at Vimy Ridge but turned to Spiritualism post-war to reconcile whether or not hundreds of his young comrades who died had also survived in some other spiritual form. He went on to become a Spiritualist Minister who served as an intermediary between realms until his own death in his nineties.

His children, including my father, displayed remarkable telepathic abilities linking family members before technological alternatives reduced the need for everyday psychic communication. Family raised by him believed psi ability was not abnormal.

In my generation I married into an indigenous family rooted in the native culture of North American and, just as a current example, my daughters are today meeting with a shaman in a wilderness setting for a theraputic communing with spirit. My grandchildren are also starting to learn the ways of their ancestors, on all sides.

Otherwise our lives are, by society’s standards, almost “normal”.

I’ve also spent decades experiencing and studying psychic phenomena, esoterica and following ufology amongst other manifestations of alternative dimensional realities. The process of researching cases, experiencers and authors has revealed the fields are rife with fraud, deception, delusion and exploitation, but there is a core of convincing cases confirming communication across an apparent dimensional divide. Interpretations of it all are as varied as the beliefs of the human species itself.

Kean’s books are illustrative of such findings and I am immersing myself in them.

What drives my focus is the awareness of a reality much larger than we perceive.
peartreed

Postby operator kos » Sat May 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing that, peartreed. When a friend of mine died a few years ago a spiritualist minister performed his service. Got to talk with the minister a little bit about his practices. Nice that you got to grow up in such an open-minded family. I've had a long-standing interest in occultism, and I was aware of the existence of these types of reincarnation cases, but I hadn't read into the details of any of them until recently. I really hear you about there being a core of compelling information surrounded by a maelstrom of BS. I can see why people get taken in various unsupported fringe ideas though. After you do the hard research (not that everyone even does that) you realize that there's still a sea of unknown, perhaps unknowable, information out there. It can leave you unsure with how to orient yourself in life. I've sort of made peace with uncertainty, but I get that that can be hard.
operator kos

Postby psynapz » Sun May 07, 2017 12:41 am

operator kos » Sat May 06, 2017 11:52 am wrote:After you do the hard research (not that everyone even does that) you realize that there's still a sea of unknown, perhaps unknowable, information out there. It can leave you unsure with how to orient yourself in life. I've sort of made peace with uncertainty, but I get that that can be hard.

So hard. Thanks for articulating this really well.
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby peartreed » Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 pm

The reincarnation concept of karma seems almost too perfectly pat to be true.

“For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.”

“What goes around, comes around.”

“You get out of life what you put into it.”

“You reap what you sew.”

Yet the concept of karma is appealing as the ultimate expression of justice. It is more credible if its application covers many lifetimes for balanced fulfillment. In one lifetime there are many examples of unfair or unrequited consequence, where “quid pro quo” doesn’t seem to work, where an undeserved outcome - either “good” or “bad” fate - prevails. However, that may balance out over several lifetimes and bring reason to why karmic return may be very long term rather than immediate.

That also might explain the seemingly fickle finger of fate being so effing unfair. It just takes a long time to point out the obvious, and pin us for our predestiny.
peartreed

Postby identity » Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 pm

^
However, in the Ian Stevenson materials there are numerous reports of persisting lifetime-to-lifetime relationships that maintain the same (power) dynamic, so I think it may be rather simplistic (not to mention deceptively consolatory) to boil things down to a "earlier wrongs shall be righted next time" system of compensation when the more likely scenario is more along the lines of "established patterns and dynamics will be maintained in the next round." It's most likely not a punishment and reward system at all, but nevertheless "karma" in the sense of patterns of thought, feeling, and action (including relationship dynamics with specific persons) begetting future patterns and experiences.
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Next

Return to General Discussion