Hopsicker on the Hackers Behind Russia-Gate

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hopsicker on the Hackers Behind Russia-Gate

Postby American Dream » Fri May 26, 2017 9:15 am

Daniel Hopsicker is embroiled in incredibly important research. His material is extremely valuable to ongoing investigation of the issues at hand:

Meet the Russian Hackers Behind Russia-Gate

Posted on May 25, 2017 by Daniel Hopsicker

A Russia-Gate bombshell per day. Watergate burglars Gordon Liddy & E. Howard Hunt were already famous by now. So why aren’t the Russian hackers?

Continue reading →
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hopsicker on the Hackers Behind Russia-Gate

Postby tapitsbo » Fri May 26, 2017 12:37 pm

What exactly was leaked in the hacks that's so concerning, again?

More transparency on all sides, please! :fawked:
tapitsbo

Postby Joao » Fri May 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Is Hopsicker still credible after the whole "Mohammed Atta's girlfriend" thing?

Pretty sloppy article, too...

his research showed the Maldives had no extradition treaty with the U.S. And he was right., as far as it goes…

But despite the lack of a treaty, as soon as federal agents knew where he was, they sprung into action. An official at the State Department with a relationship with Maldivian police made some calls.

A Secret Service agent flew in from Thailand, another from Hawaii.

Just as he boarded his flight back to Russia, Maldivian police took Seleznev into custody.

FBI agents placed him under arrest and ushered him directly onto a chartered plane which took off on a 5000-mile-long flight to Guam, where he was immediately taken before a U.S. District judge.

Huh? A little more specificity on how the extra-legal extradition was accomplished would be helpful. Why would the Secret Service be involved, where did they go, and where did the FBI agents come from? Atrocious reporting even if the story is true.

A stereotypical Russian homophobe

A hackneyed tabloid slander...

an ecumenical drug trafficking organization pooling the skills of Israelis and Saudis

???

[Edit: lol the usage went over my head but I thought about it more and now I get it :eeyaa ]

Seleznev’s criminal pursuits were far from being victimless crimes. [...] When the once popular bistro closed, the owners blamed the credit card fraud for its demise.

Restaurants are prone to failure, even those that have been around for 20 years, and comments in the linked piece mention "Shitty food and even shittier service." Of course the owners will place blame; I'm just not ready to buy it based on the scant evidence presented.

Then there was the whole diversion about the Orlando shooting and alligator attack, neither of which have anything to do with Russian hackers. Get this guy an editor.

And finally, if anyone's wondering about the Russian text in the header photo...

ДЖИНСОН ДЖЕЙМС АНЧЕТА

Wikipedia wrote:Jeanson James Ancheta
On May 9, 2006, Jeanson James Ancheta (born 1985) became the first person to be charged for controlling large numbers of hijacked computers or botnets.

Ancheta is not otherwise mentioned, however. Anyway he's not even Russian but American.
Last edited by Joao on Sat May 27, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joao

Postby American Dream » Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 pm

I know very little about Hopsicker, really. Joao can you say more about the German girlfriend? (Amanda somebody?) Do you think he has an agenda? If so, what?

I would certainly agree that his writing can be variable in quality and I know that he has clashed with at least one researcher (though not necessarily his fault). So not insisting that you write any essays but any more info you can share would be helpful.
American Dream

Postby Joao » Sat May 27, 2017 2:07 am

I don't track Hopsicker closely either, having written him off some time ago as sloppy and bombastic. Maybe he has some diamonds in the rough but back in spy school that was just another way to say disinformation. My intuition tells me his primary agenda is selling books, videos, and website ads. A guy's gotta earn a living, after all.

Anyway, Atta's putative GF was named Amanda Keller. She's been namechecked some 90 times on this board. Not German that I'm aware of.

As I read it: Her story was always inconsistent and questionable, but good grist for Hopsicker's books so why the hell not. In 2006 she reportedly recanted the whole thing ("my bad for lying") and disappeared. Was she threatened/scared, bullshitting for personal reasons, or an agent saboteur? We'll never know but odds are 2 out of 3 that her story was a lie from the start. Hopsicker has had plenty to say about it but I just don't find him lucid much less convincing.

The following site provides a skeptical but ostensibly level-headed summary: http://www.911myths.com/index.php?title=Amanda_Keller

And for the pro-Hopsicker rebuttal, see Dave Emory's site: http://spitfirelist.com/for-the-record/ ... -cover-up/

Not looking for an internet argument and just typing it as I see it. Some are bound to see it differently and more power to 'em. American Dream, can you point me to any Hopsicker pieces which might make me reconsider my perception of him?

[Edit: Just realized the Emory page precedes Keller's 2006 auto-da-fé. Interested parties are left to pursue a fresher rat hole on their own.]
Joao

Postby SonicG » Sat May 27, 2017 4:43 am

Yeah, the GF thing was a turning point for me...Listening to her interview, I felt her to be a fake...sad after he had done a lot of good reporting on the flight school and other Florida machinations that seem to still be a key...especially with the anthrax incident...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 5:01 am

Thanks for clarifying Joao- somehow I missed most all of that before. I always suspected Hopsicker to be erratic and inconsistent because he was maybe retired and/or a pothead or something but you are referencing more serious breaches. That said, I know he had a major parting of the ways with Alex Constantine, who also had a big spat with Dave Emory, so that may possibly explain something of Emory's role in it all.

Anyway, thanks for shining a light on all that.
American Dream

Postby Joao » Sat May 27, 2017 5:33 am

Wasn't aware that Emory and Constantine had beef. Emory is also known for feuding with John Judge.

I can never quite make up my mind about Dave Emory. Somebody should make a documentary about him.
Joao

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 am

Yeah, my current position is that all the Brussell Sprouts I know of have something good about them but also a tendency to go off balance. Emory- at his most extreme- seems to want to reduce everything to a "World Nazi Conspiracy" alternative to the Elders of Zion crap peddled by right wing nuts.

Joao » Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 am wrote:Wasn't aware that Emory and Constantine had beef. Emory is also known for feuding with John Judge.

I can never quite make up my mind about Dave Emory. Somebody should make a documentary about him.
American Dream

Postby SonicG » Sat May 27, 2017 7:59 am

OT I know but the very first time I heard Emory was in person about OJ Simpson so I always have a soft spot for him but yeah it seems that he is a bit over-focused on the world nazi thang...Love his voice too...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 am

Yeah, I remember first hearing Emory's weekly broadcasts high, high, high in the Santa Cruz Mountainswhen I didn't know a conspiracy from a coincidence. I'll never forget those times...
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Back then he was breaking an angle on the Florida flight schools but soon went off the rails with the Atta girlfriend story, which never had credibility to me. She always seemed fake and her story made-up, so when another Mohammed went public to claim he was the actual Keller boyfriend and she recanted the story I saw no reason to feel she did it under pressure. Hopsicker styled Atta as a flashy gangster type running around a shady drug-spook milieu, how after the breakup with Keller he left dead kitten slices in her kitchen. Similarly he styled the CDG scholarship and German language program (well known in Germany, thousands of students, school in every big German city at the time) which real Atta attended into a sinister and obscure CIA front. Despite these stories of alternate Attas, at the same time Hopsicker would fly into a rage if anyone implied the main plot was other than the official story.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents in on this: Hopsicker definitely needs an editor. Besides just the typos and formatting errors, sometimes he makes major mistakes in reasoning or overstates claims. I've actually emailed him before with a heads-up that something was screwed up in the HTML of an article on his site.

Personally I am reminded of another researcher who also had a health crisis (and is now dead) and who also could be problematic: Dave McGowan. The important thing to notice here is that Hopsicker has actually provided concrete information on espionage operations on a repeated basis. Just the inclusion of that one iconic photograph of Operation Forty in his book on Barry Seal cements his reputation as an investigative reporter, let alone the pioneering stories on the crashed DC-9 (which later turned up in the work of Dana Priest.) I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone or overstate this case, but I do think Dave McGowan was on way, way shakier ground than that tread by Mad Cow Prod. (I did read & learn from Weird Scenes in the Canyon, if that matters)

Just looking through the archive reminds me that I should revisit some of Hopsicker's older stories. Many of the articles have links to documents and archived news articles hosted on his domain, too, though often the links are dead and have to be seen on the Wayback Machine.

Here's a pretty recent example of why I endorse his work as worthwhile reading:

http://www.madcowprod.com/2014/03/24/hyena-pack/

http://www.madcowprod.com/2014/03/21/the-vanishing/

http://www.madcowprod.com/2014/03/06/ch ... operation/
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 pm

My intuition tells me his primary agenda is selling books, videos, and website ads. A guy's gotta earn a living, after all.

That frankly doesn't match my perception of him at all. He has mentioned major financial difficulties on several occasions, and his site has always been very basic. He asks for help with donations but not any more so than I've seen from others. Probably less, since he's not very good at promoting himself.
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby American Dream » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:50 pm

I've got to agree that his Barry Seal investigation was very much on the mark- and I strongly doubt that Hopsicker is somehow "nefarious". Quite the opposite.
American Dream

Next

Return to General Discussion