Trump vs Nixon

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Trump vs Nixon

Postby Jerky » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 am

from Jonathan Schell's The Time of Illusion: the key theme--illusion and its effects--seems like it might offer some insight into the current US admin:

We are reminded how Nixon ran and won as the peace candidate who would get us out of the Dem war in Vietnam. The anti-war voices at all levels shut down at the '68 convention. How he convinced many of the nation's influential opinion-mongers that he was a 'new' Nixon, not the one who had ended his own career earlier. How he actually had a post-election lunch with Humphrey--to show the nation's new unity; how he spoke of how 'the Negro"--the word faded
quickly around this time--would rise higher under his administration's policies; how his administration would be so transparent, the whole nation would be reassured.

Then he began the absolutely secret bombing of Cambodia; he ordered a plan to 'round up' anti-war protesters; he wrote memos on how PR image-making was the only way to publicly
run the admin; he ordered wiretaps on some aides and five major reporters (previous AG Ramsey Clark declared the recent law re warrant permission was unconstitutional and he would never); Schell argues that even a couple of bills were presented that were INTENDED to fail so that where Congress stood vs his admin was evident to all.

Schell shows how Nixon's PR image campaign then became a "domestic war" against any kind of nay-saying. Even invading Cambodia was a test of national resolve and commitment not real horrible policy. Which lead to Kent State, hard hats beating up on protestors, among other horrors.

Hating Nixon was the least we should have done. And Nixon did in secret what Trump does openly, is one way to frame it,

What a world.
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Trump vs Nixon

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 am

Nixon was much smarter than Trump and there was still some semblance of social conscience in Nixon and in the GOP and others like them.

Most of the forward looking environmental legislation was enacted under Nixon

Nixon put in place gas rationing and price controls.

Nixon also extended the Vietnam War in order to be elected POTUS and was a front for the Dulles-Kissinger agendas and all those associated with those goals.

I was eligible for the draft during Nixon and hated the man to my core.

The nation seems even more divided now than back then. The problems seem more difficult to resolve. There is more chaos and confusion.

Our leadership is much more fractured and just stupid now. Trump is a symptom. Such an individual could not be successful as a national politicians during the time of Nixon.
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Trump vs Nixon

Postby brekin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Well, from the hip Nixon seemed to be outwardly the establishment candidate whereas Trump is anything but.
Trump seems to capitalize on those who aren't traditionally politically affiliated per se but want to replace politics - with somethin.

Nixon's personality, character and private paranoid outlook and ravings were a liability for him (he was a very smart and clever man) whereas the same for Trump are weirdly an asset. The worst of the Nixon tapes are gleefully amplified and intentionally megaphoned out and tweeted daily. Nixon was the "law and order" candidate albeit yes a cover for state goon squad thuggery it seems - whereas Trump is pretty much an unapologetic street talking rat fucker thug who wants to run law enforcement & military like The Sopranos.Trump is like a gilded age/Tammany Hall throw back that makes Nixon's attempts to remain normal looking and sounding and presidential while struggling with, for the time, an unconventional sex life, severe mental issues and a hot cultural and military war with no classic resolutions not just near sympathetic but damn near almost heroic.

In my immediate experiential timeline every President has been hated to differing intensities -(Reagan onward) but this is something else. Trump is different. It's like someone who personally abused millions of people is now the President, a mega-Cosby who provokes and taunts his victims.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to General Discussion