VICE as RI subject

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: VICE as RI subject

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Vice puts 2 executives on leave after sexual harassment allegations

by Claire AtkinsonJan 2 2018, 3:44 pm ET
Vice Media, a company founded on a mission to chronicle sex, drugs, music and fashion, put two of its top executives on leave Tuesday after they were accused of sexual harassment.

The two executives are the media company's president, Andrew Creighton, and the head of its internal digital ad agency, Mike Germano, according to a memo from the company's chief financial officer, Sarah Broderick. Last month, The New York Times reported that women at the company had accused both men of harassment.

Image: Andrew Creighton, Mike Germano
Andrew Creighton, left, and Mike Germano of Vice Getty Images
In early December, Vice fired three staff members who were accused of fostering a toxic workplace for women. The departures came not long after the Daily Beast detailed the claims of several women who described a difficult working environment, unwanted touching, hostility and limited opportunities for advancement.

According to Broderick's memo, Creighton and Germano will remain on leave while separate investigations are conducted into the accusations against them.

Creighton, who is co-president of Vice, was accused of firing an unidentified woman after she declined a relationship with him, according to The Times. The article said the woman received a $135,000 settlement.

Creighton said in the article that he and the woman were "close friends for several years before she joined Vice," and that they were "occasionally intimate." The Times also reported Creighton's claim that he had not been involved in the decision to fire the woman.

Germano, the head of Carrot, Vice's digital ad agency, admitted in The Times article to an incident involving Carrot's director of communications, Gabrielle Schaefer, and responded that he had apologized and that the matter had been resolved at the time with the help of human resources. Even so, Vice is bringing in an internal investigator to work with human resources to look into claims against Germano. It is also convening a special board committee to review the facts involving Creighton.

Broderick wrote in the memo that staff members will receive sexual harassment training, and that the company has made a commitment to hiring more women and improving diversity throughout the organization, which is led by chief executive and co-founder Shane Smith.

"Vice has committed to 50/50 male/female at every level across the organization by 2020, and pay parity by the end of 2018," Broderick wrote.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vi ... ns-n834086
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby liminalOyster » Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 pm

VICE gets hip to Joan D'Arc et al.

The US Army Funded Astral Projection and Hypnosis Research in the 80s
This is a real-life X-File.
Jul 22 2017, 10:00am

Human consciousness is nothing but an intersection of energy planes that forms a hologram able to travel through spacetime—across the universe, and into the past, present, and future.

I read about this idea in a CIA document about the US Army. Yes, the US Army. The institution that painstakingly crafts an image of commitment to pragmatic and logical objectives. When I was reading through the documents, I was certainly a bit surprised.

According to the declassified CIA documents that I read, the US Army was extremely interested in psychic experimentation. From the late 1970s into the 80s, it even paid for intelligence officers to go on weeklong excursions to an out-of-the-way institute specializing in out-of-body experiences and astral projection.

The documents were declassified as early as 2001, but they caught my eye when they appeared in a /r/conspiracy post earlier this month. The psychic experimentation program, which was called "Project Center Lane," interviewed Army intelligence officers in order "to determine attitudes about the possible use of psychoenergetic phenomena in the intelligence field," according to the declassified CIA document from 1984.

As a huge fan of The X-Files, I couldn't resist reading as much as I could about Project Center Lane, which looks like it could have appeared on the show.

In June 1983, Army Commander Wayne M. McDonnell was asked to give his commander an assessment of the psychic services provided by the Monroe Institute, a non-profit organization focused on treatments designed to expand a person's consciousness. The Monroe Institute is known for its patented "Hemi-Sync" technology, which uses audio to synchronize the brainwaves on the left and right sides of the brain. According to the organization's website, this makes the brain vulnerable to hypnosis. McDonnell himself had completed the seven-day psychic program the month prior at the institute, which is lodged in the middle of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains in a town called Faber, about 30 miles east of Charlottesville.

ADVERTISEMENT

McDonnell's assessment, collected from his experience at the secluded institute, formed the basis of a 29-page Army document that featured detailed explanations of hypnosis, holograms, and out-of-body experiences. The document placed these phenomena in the context of larger ideas of consciousness, energy, space-time, quantum subatomic particles, and so-called astral projection, a practice that aims to transport consciousness around a metaphysical plane—a central idea in McDonnell's assessment.

McDonnell cited a metaphor penned by Monroe Institute employee Melissa Jager in order to illustrate the nature of hypnosis. The metaphor says that a normal state of consciousness is like a lamp, which emits light in a "chaotic, incoherent way." However, a hypnotized state of consciousness is said to be like a laser beam, whose thoughts and energy are focused like a "disciplined stream" of light.

The explanations in the 29-page document also feature hand-drawn visual aids illustrating the more complex topics. Image: CIA

Image: CIA

Image: CIA
"Intuitional insights of not only personal but of a practical and professional nature would seem to be within bounds of reasonable expectations," McDonnell wrote, in reference to parapsychology.

In other words, Commander McDonnell concluded, hypnosis and astral projection are worth the Army's while.

Officers accepted into Project Center Lane underwent hypnosis and practiced reaching the so-called "astral plane," with the goal of learning foreign languages and undergoing what the documents only refer to as "habit control training."

ADVERTISEMENT

According to one of the declassified Army files, 251 Army intelligence candidates were selected for the first year of experimentation. Of those candidates, 117 were interviewed under the impression that they were taking a survey. The document gives no specifics about the survey itself, but does indicates that the interviewer asked fairly direct questions about "psychoenergetics."

"Individuals who had objections to the military use of psychoenergetics were not considered for the final selection," the document reads. "Additionally, individuals who displayed an unreasonable enthusiasm for psychoenergetics, occult fanatics and mystical zealots were not considered for final selection."

Between 30 and 35 of the original 251 candidates were said to have "desired" traits, such as open-mindedness and intelligence, that made them suited for the program.

Intelligence officers who were accepted to the program were sent to the Monroe Institute. Officers would then listen to the "Hemi-Sync" audio. After this, one of the institute's research associates would guide intelligence officers into the astral plane, a psychic space in which the institute said that the officers supposedly could heighten their sensory experiences, heal their bodies, travel into the past or future, or even solve real-world dilemmas without the restraints of a physical body.

Another technique known as "remote viewing" was also employed upon government employees of an unknown agency, according to a declassified document from 1982. The document doesn't specifically mention the Army or the Monroe Institute, but it precisely follows the description of remote viewing which was explained in detail in a 1983 document that explicitly mentions the facility.

ADVERTISEMENT

The goal of the psychic session was to make the subject remotely view Mars in the year 1 million B.C. According to the transcript, an interviewer read coordinates and verbal cues to a subject, who claimed to see dust storms, alien structures, and even an ancient alien race.

"Very tall, again, very large people," the unidentified subject said, according to the transcript. "But they're thin. They look thin because of their height. And they dress like—oh, hell—it's like a real light silk. But it's not flowing type of clothing. It's cut to fit. They're ancient people. They're dying. It's past their time or age. They're very philosophic about it. They're looking for a way to survive and they just can't."

I reached out to the US Army Intelligence and Security Command, the specific intelligence unit that had a relationship with the Monroe Institute, for any information about its use of Hemi-Sync technology. Ron Young, an INSCOM representative, told me in an email that after checking with the unit's division at Fort Meade, Maryland, "no records are on file for the technology you request information on."

Young pointed out that the US Army Operational Group (AOG), featured in the heading of a 1983 document, was disbanded in 1995, after which all files relevant to the Monroe Institute were transferred to whichever agency absorbed the AOG. (The files were later released under a Freedom of Information Act request.) Young couldn't tell me which agency absorbed the AOG.

ADVERTISEMENT

I contacted the CIA about which agency absorbed the AOG, or how the CIA came into the possession of documents related to the Monroe Institute. The agency didn't have either piece of information.

I reached out to The Monroe Institute repeatedly for comment, but I was always referred to Executive Director Nancy McMoneagle, who was never available to speak with me. However, its website openly speaks about its previous relationship with the US Army.

Ray Waldkoetter, who is described as a "personnel management analyst," wrote an article for the 1991 Hemi-Sync® Journal reviewing the Army's uses of Hemi-Sync technology, which is available on the Monroe Institute's website. He wrote that the Army used Hemi-Sync technology for stress reduction, psychological counseling, and enhanced learning abilities of various levels of personnel, as well as training for people seeking officer-level positions.

"Several intensive experiences in Army military training programs have demonstrated positive results using the Hemi-Sync technology," Waldkoetter wrote.

This is hardly the first time the Army and US military at large experimented with paranormal phenomena. The branch has been known to dabble in witchcraft, psychic visions, excessive LSD, and hypnosis as an interrogation method. In 1972, the government even attempted a psychic probe of the Jupiter just months before Pioneer 10 retrieved the first scientific data and photographs of the gaseous planet. While we don't know which government agency conducted this probe, the document was eventually declassified by the NSA.

ADVERTISEMENT

It's unclear when exactly the Army's collaboration with the Monroe Institute came to an end, but in a Wall Street Journal article from 1994 (paywall), former INSCOM director Albert Stubblebine confirmed that the Army indeed sent intelligence officers to the Institute during the 1980s. The CIA report outlining some of these techniques is also dated January 1984.

If you want to try your hand at projecting your consciousness to a higher plane, The Monroe Institute is still operating and selling its Hemi-Sync program today. Either way, you can rest assured that the wildest conspiracy theory you can imagine is actually true.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... in-the-80s
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby liminalOyster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Note: McInnes referred to Jason Kessler as a DNC operative this week on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 4.50.58 pm.png

Twitter Suspended Proud Boys And Founder Gavin McInnes Accounts Ahead Of The Unite The Right Rally
The company shut down several accounts associated with the far-right group Friday for violating its terms of service on inciting violence.

Headshot of Ryan Mac
Ryan Mac
BuzzFeed News Reporter

Headshot of Blake Montgomery
Blake Montgomery
BuzzFeed News Reporter

Map of San Francisco, California
Reporting From

San Francisco, California

Last updated on August 11, 2018, at 2:10 p.m. ET

Posted on August 10, 2018, at 7:02 p.m. ET

Gavin McInnes speaks on stage with members of the Proud Boys.
Andrew Kelly / Reuters
Gavin McInnes speaks on stage with members of the Proud Boys.

Twitter suspended several accounts associated with the Proud Boys, a right-wing group present at last year’s Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, ahead of a similar rally in Washington, DC, this weekend.

The company suspended the group’s main account @ProudBoysUSA, as well as that of its founder Gavin McInnes, for violating its policy on “violent extremist groups.” The company also took down several regional accounts associated with the organization.

“We can confirm that these accounts have been suspended from Twitter and Periscope for violating our policy prohibiting violent extremist groups,” a company spokesperson said in a statement to BuzzFeed News.

The move comes after a week in which Twitter has faced heavy criticism for continuing to allow the accounts of conspiracy site Infowars and its founder Alex Jones, who has promoted various false theories around events including the Sandy Hook shooting. While Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has explained that the company does not believe Jones or Infowars have violated its terms of service, the same cannot be said of the Proud Boys, whose members have taken part in violent rallies across the country, including one last week in Portland.

The account @ProudBoysUSA was previously verified by Twitter, one of a number of right-wing accounts the social media company gave the vaunted blue check.

McInnes, a cofounder of Vice magazine who left the publication in 2008, formed the Proud Boys in 2016; the group gained notoriety for its presence at far-right rallies and vociferous support of President Donald Trump. Its members, who typically appear at events wearing black Fred Perry polo shirts with gold piping, were present at last year’s Charlottesville Unite the Right rally, which devolved into violence and resulted in the death of counterprotester Heather Heyer.

In response, McInnes said, “All this stuff is part of the conservative purge, getting the right off social media, to try to stop Trump from getting reelected. He’s already won; the ship has sailed. I think it will have zero effect on my reach or on the Proud Boys. We’ll always come back.” He also mused about suing Twitter.

Most recently, the Proud Boys were present at a rally that turned violent in Portland. Members claim to be “Western chauvinists” and often use racially charged rhetoric about “anti-white guilt.” They deny connection to the so-called alt-right but speak alongside avowed neo-Nazis at rallies, saying they are defending free speech.

Among the accounts suspended by Twitter on Friday were regional Proud Boys groups such as @ProudBoysOhio, @ProudBoysCA, @Proud_Boys_IL, @ProudBoysVT, @ProudBoysNH, @ProudBoysOR, and @ProudBoysNeb. Others included @ProudBoys1776, @proudboysgirls, @proudboysunite, and @ProudboysCanada, as well as two accounts, @proudboysFOAK and @FOAKUSA, which are associated with the Fraternal Order of Alt-Knights, a paramilitary training group within the Proud Boys.

Some Proud Boy–related accounts seemed to escape the suspension. As of 4:25 p.m. Friday, @ProudBoys_CT and @Proud_Louisiana accounts connected to the organization’s groups in Connecticut and Louisiana remained online.

Caroline O'Donovan and Max Woolf contributed reporting to this story.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... in-mcinnes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liminalOyster

Postby dada » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:08 pm

I love the "poems kids like" over the screenshot.

--

Given the openness to suggestibility of the hypnotic state, any results can't really be trusted to have come from 'astral projection.' Could simply be 'projection.' Not to say there's zero chance of success of seeing something worthwhile.

Why is it so surprising that a 'central intelligence agency' wants to be involved in everything, from the far out fringes to the mundane? From out here, it looks like the author of the article has lived a sheltered life inside of a bubble. I have to assume the same goes for the vice editors. Only in the bubble is psychic phenomena 'the craziest conspiracy, evah. And the cia is supposed to be protecting the bubble. Shocking, simply shocking for those inside the bubble, when they find out the cia has been off playing with magical toys. Like, omg, cia. Stop it, you're scaring me.

So an article like this just keeps the info at arms length. Nothing interesting or new, no drawn conclusions to build on, no groundbreaking along new avenues of research as a result. Just reddit buzz fodder, here today, gone tomorrow. In a way, vice is very mystical minded, with its blind acceptance of mystical authoritarian aura.

Russ Targ and the SRI's remote viewing research is at least scientific, they did their best to set up controlled experiments. No hypnosis or tech necessary.

edited to add: This is bugging me:

"McDonnell cited a metaphor penned by Monroe Institute employee Melissa Jager in order to illustrate the nature of hypnosis. The metaphor says that a normal state of consciousness is like a lamp, which emits light in a "chaotic, incoherent way." However, a hypnotized state of consciousness is said to be like a laser beam, whose thoughts and energy are focused like a "disciplined stream" of light."

I know I've read this quote in a different form before, though I haven't been able to track it down. But I think it's a borrowed and repurposed metaphor. The quote I remember - I think was either Targ, or F David Peat mentioning it - said that the beta waves of 'normal' consciousness are more incoherent, other waves more coherent, with no mention of the 'hypnotized state.'

The idea being that an 'altered state' just means 'changed,' not 'hypnotized.' I suppose your brain waves could change, become more coherent using the tech and hypnosis method, but it isn't necessary. And as I said, you're also putting yourself in a state where you're more open to suggestibility, and manipulation from outside, whether conscious or unconscious.

What Targ would say, I believe, is that focused attention, and/or focused intention creates coherence, 'like a laser beam.' Simple. Just relax, no need to 'get sleepy.'

Maybe it's just different approaches. But I prefer to think that consciousness is stunted by habits, conditioning and cultural trance, therefore breaking the hypnosis is what leads to experience of nonlocal awareness. The hypnotized state is just your average state of mind. The trance of a lifetime.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 am

Most published writing, online and in print, is the rushed work of average idiots who are out of their depth.

By net weight, the majority of any given article is hack tricks -- transitions, juxtapositions, glosses and cliches, all employed in the service of hitting the word count and getting paid.

dada, you should seek out the hypnosis / NLP text Monster and Magical Sticks. The authors come from the same continent as your closing paragraph above. It is an excellent and thoughtful book.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby dada » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Well, I'm not going to feel bad for the poor journalistic hacks, just because they're idiots out of their depth. They will find no sympathy at the point of my sword of subversive critique. ha

Found a pdf of the book, will be reading, thanks.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Proud Boys Founder: How He Went From Brooklyn Hipster to Far-Right Provocateur
On television and on speaking tours, Gavin McInnes, shown in March 2017, can often sound like a younger and more foul-mouthed President Trump.

By Alan Feuer
Oct. 16, 2018

For an hour or so, he railed about socialism and political correctness to an audience of New York establishment Republicans. As he often does, he took ugly swipes at Ivy Leaguers, left-wing snobs and lesbians with “geriatric crew cuts.”

Then, when his speech was over, Gavin McInnes stepped outside of the Metropolitan Republican Club, protected by the police. Just before a brawl broke out between his allies and a crowd of shouting protesters, he waved a plastic sword in the air, slipped into a car and sped away.

There was an uproar this weekend when anti-fascist demonstrators clashed with members of the far-right group Proud Boys, reprising on the streets of New York City the kind of violent rumbles that occurred across the country last year in places like New Orleans and Berkeley, Calif.

But at the center of the fray on Friday night was Mr. McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys and a former Brooklyn hipster turned far-right provocateur.

With his egghead glasses, pocket-protector and heavy-drinking, angry-nerd aesthetic, Mr. McInnes has in recent years set himself apart from the current crop of professionally outraged right-wing pundits, not only for being able to spout aggressive rhetoric, but also for being willing to get physical at times.

His obsessions seem to be more cultural than political. Mr. McInnes, a fiscal conservative and libertarian, calls himself a champion of Western values and reserves a burning ire for the political correctness of people on the left whom he describes as busybodies who have lost their sense of humor.

“This movement is normal people trying to live their lives getting attacked by mentally ill lunatics,” he said.

But his views are darker when it comes to gender roles and immigration. Mr. McInnes admits that he may be Islamaphobic (“It’s seen as xenophobic to be worried about Islam, but they appear to disproportionately allow intolerance to blossom in their communities,” he said.) He also acknowledged being something of a sexist. (“I’m an Archie Bunker sexist,” he said. “I don’t like Gloria Steinem, but I’d take a bullet for Edith.”)

Though he has repudiated racism and anti-Semitism in some of his writings and speeches, he has also made statements that have openly denigrated nonwhite cultures. Last year, he wrote of white men: “We brought roads and infrastructure to India and they are still using them as toilets. Our criminals built nice roads in Australia but Aboriginals keep using them as a bed.”

“Their disavowals of bigotry are belied by their actions,” the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit organization that tracks extremist groups, wrote in an online memo labeling the Proud Boys as a hate group. “Rank-and-file Proud Boys and leaders regularly spout white nationalist memes and maintain affiliations with known extremists. They are known for anti-Muslim and misogynistic rhetoric.”

Daryle Lamont Jenkins, the founder of One People Project, an anti-racist organization, said Mr. McInnes has been allowed to tread a fine line, appearing as a political commentator on mainstream outlets like Fox News while being the founder of a group involved in violent clashes.

“They’ve utilized subterfuge and lies to keep that hate group tag from being applied to them,” Mr. Jenkins said. “Every time their members are seen doing things they’re not supposed to be doing, like showing up at Unite the Right, they claim that person left the Proud Boys.”

On television and on frequent speaking tours, Mr. McInnes, who is 48, can often sound like a younger and more foul-mouthed President Trump, bashing feminists, mocking Black Lives Matter and deriding deep-state plotters. And like the president, he tends to publicly disavow all violence while winkingly insisting that he — and the Proud Boys — will never back down during a scrape.

“We don’t start fights,” he wrote in an article last year, “but we will finish them.”

In an interview this week, Mr. McInnes said he gave his speech this weekend after he called officials at the Metropolitan Republican Club and asked for permission to appear there.

He arrived at the club’s headquarters on East 83rd Street on Friday night with a small contingent of Proud Boys who he said were there to “do security.” Deborah Coughlin, the president of the club, said that she welcomed Mr. McInnes because there had been no trouble when he spoke at the club last year. Ms. Coughlin explained that the club considered Mr. McInnes’ political views to be on the spectrum of conservative “civil discourse.” She also noted that during the event, his followers were quiet and respectful.

But according to the police, skirmishes erupted as soon as the evening’s program ended and Mr. McInnes’s supporters confronted a group of masked left-wing protesters that had left the event and walked down Lexington Avenue to catch them. The opposing forces came face-to-face on East 82nd Street, yelling at each other as they met. A protester hurled a plastic bottle at the Proud Boys, and that, the police said, was when the punches started flying.

It was not the first time that the city’s anarchists and anti-fascists have clashed with Mr. McInnes and the Proud Boys, who have often served as a private fight club ready to protect him.

In February 2017, the Proud Boys were present when anti-fascists swarmed their leader as he showed up at New York University to speak to the College Republicans there. Mr. McInnes claimed that he was doused with pepper spray during the brawl that unfolded on the Greenwich Village campus. Eleven people were eventually arrested.

Born in England and raised in Canada, Mr. McInnes has been a controversial figure in the news media for nearly 20 years. In 1994, after emerging from the punk-rock music scene, he co-founded Vice, the Montreal-based hipster magazine that later moved to Brooklyn and delighted audiences from the start with its graphic articles on subjects such as drug-abusing models and decomposing pigeons.

While working for the magazine, he moved to Brooklyn, taking up residence in a Williamsburg apartment. He now resides in the suburbs.

After leaving Vice in 2008 because of creative differences with his partners, Mr. McInnes went on to write a series of books, like “How to Piss in Public,” and articles for right-wing websites, like Taki’s Magazine and VDARE.

Even in his earliest work, Mr. McInnes often took an adolescent pleasure in offending liberals, women, “beta male culture” and transgender people, writing in a voice inflected with a crass, contrarian bigotry that left him just enough room to declare it all a joke.

In 2016, Mr. McInnes founded the first official chapter of the Proud Boys in New York after, he said, he realized that fans of his former television program, “The Gavin McInnes Show,” liked to spend time in his studio, drinking beer with him and telling private jokes.

He has described the group, which has since spread to dozens of cities and to countries, like Australia and Japan, as an ordinary men’s club, like the Shriners or the Elks. It serves as a sort of safe space for him and what he calls his fellow “Western chauvinists.”

In its guise as a fraternal organization, the Proud Boys get together in New York and other cities once a month at beery meet-ups that can draw as many as a few hundred participants. Women are not allowed at the group’s formal gatherings (though they are permitted at the “warm up” sessions, Mr. McInnes has written). As a character-building exercise, the Proud Boys forbid both masturbation and the watching of pornography. The group’s initiation rituals include reciting the names of five breakfast cereals while being slugged by other members.

The monthly meet-ups are largely “social events where people have fun and laugh and drink and share stories about their kids and businesses and stuff like that,” said Pawl Bazile, the editor of Proud Boy magazine. “It’s a celebration of the West, of America and of freedom and liberty.”

But in the last two years, members of the group have also had a second preoccupation, taking part in a string of violent street fights with their anti-fascist rivals in cities like Berkeley, Los Angeles and Portland, Ore.

Sometimes accompanied by skinheads, neo-Nazis, modern-day Confederates and outfits like the Oath Keepers, an association of law-enforcement officers and military veterans, the Proud Boys have scuffled with the left at May Day rallies, so-called free-speech protests and at marches in support of President Trump.

Windows were broken and anarchist symbols were drawn on the doors at the Republican Club in Manhattan ahead of Friday’s appearance by Mr. McInnes.CreditJeenah Moon for The New York Times
While the Proud Boys accept minority members, they have at times joined forces with overtly racist organizations. Jason Kessler, who once attended Proud Boy meetings in Virginia, organized the violent rallies in Charlottesville, Va., last year that attracted neo-Nazi groups.

One former Proud Boy, Rich Black, was among the planners of two violent rallies in Berkeley in 2017 that were attended by white supremacist groups.

Mr. McInnes did not go to Charlottesville and explicitly forbade the Proud Boys from attending. “To be clear, all white nationalists/anti-Semites are banned from Proud Boys even if they never bring up said topics,” he wrote in an article shortly after the violence in Virginia.

And yet, among those who attended his event on Friday night were a few alleged members of a local skinhead group, the 211 Boot Boys, and the founder of a record label called United Riot that releases albums from local skinhead punk bands. United Riot organized a fund-raiser last year for Andrew Kuklis, a Long Island member of the 211 Boot Boys who was arrested in January 2017 on firearms charges.

In a text message on Monday, Mr. McInnes denied he had connections with the 211 Boot Boys, saying, “I don’t represent them and I have no idea who they all are and what they stand for.”

He also said on Monday on his show “Get Off My Lawn,” on the CRTV streaming network, that he could not understand why the Proud Boys had been blamed for the rioting last week when Antifa had started the conflict, placing threatening phone calls to the Metropolitan Republican Club and vandalizing its property.

“Article after article has this narrative where they took a fight that happened for maybe five seconds, and they ignored the previous three days of extremist, leftist violence,” he said.

Mr. McInnes’s confusion did little to win over Republicans like William F. B. O’Reilly, who was president of the club from 1998 to 2002.

“The Republican brand doesn’t need this,” Mr. O’Reilly said of Mr. McInnes and the Proud Boys. “It’s already got enough problems.”

He added, “There was no reason to invite that ilk to the Silk Stocking district in New York.”

Ali Winston, Shane Goldmacher and Ashley Southall contributed reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/nyre ... innes.html
liminalOyster

Postby thrulookingglass » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Consciousness is the vehicle, thought is the realm. Of course the CIA is involved in these things as the military mind's necessitation is for dominance at ANY cost. The military machine wants control by any means necessary. A link lost in the chain and the fabric is broken, that is what they don't understand. "They" seek control, not unity, for all are joined whether you enjoy that fact or not. Nothing happens in a vacuum. The realm is thought. Right wing thought is damaging to consciousness for it celebrates authority, superiority...these are not altruistic imperatives. Solidarity...solid, build from a SOUND foundation. Seek harmony, not dissonance.
thrulookingglass

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 pm

The Jeffrey Epstein Story Is Fanning the Flames of Far-Right Pedophilia Panic
A new investigation implied the disgraced financier came as close to Pizzagate as you can get in real life.
EXTREMISM
|
By Allie Conti
|
Dec 6 2018, 2:24pm

Last week, the Miami Herald published a massive investigation suggesting financier and friend-to-the-stars Jeffrey Epstein may have gotten away with sexually abusing dozens of teenage girls. Despite a large number of survivors emerging with virtually identical stories about being paid to massage the billionaire when they were in middle and high school and then being molested or worse, and despite corroborating phone and flight records, willing witnesses, and a horrifyingly detailed little black book with even more names of possible victims, Epstein was ultimately offered a plea deal on prostitution charges that landed him a mere 13 months in county jail.

ADVERTISEMENT

To add insult to injury, Epstein was allowed to work out of a cushy office six days per week while serving his minuscule sentence.

The Herald articles suggest this travesty of justice went down because Epstein was able to offer up information that was (possibly) used in an unrelated federal investigation. They also point the finger at Trump Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta, who as a US attorney at the time helped hash out the generous deal . But conspiracy theorists would probably find a more plausible explanation by looking through the rolodex of the convicted sex offenders's friends, which included Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, and Prince Andrew. (Clinton was known to fly repeatedly on Epstein's private plane, and Trump was said to do the same at least once, as well. The Herald probe, meanwhile, showed Epstein's plea deal seemed almost designed to stoke speculation about a larger plot of international sex trafficking, for which there was some evidence, by providing immunity to "any potential co-conspirators.") Though a lawyer for several victims is now pursuing a federal court case that could nullify that non-prosecution agreement, Eric Levitz was right to point out in New York that the Epstein saga—a tale of a politically-connected liberal who appeared to operate what amounted to a pedophilia ring in plain sight—is as close to Pizzagate as anything in real life is going to get.

ADVERTISEMENT

But what happens when a story like this falls into the laps of far-right conspiracy theorists who don't trust the mainstream media? To get an idea of how horrific, real-world events might affect fringe discourse, and what that twisted dialogue might produce when it spills back into reality, I called up Jessica A. Johnson, a University of Washington anthropology lecturer who studies how white men radicalize on the internet, and how conspiracies like Pizzagate originate. Our conversation has been lightly edited and condensed for clarity.

VICE: So, first off, for the uninitiated, what's with the fixation on powerful liberals and pedophilia rings on the far-right?
Jessica A. Johnson: So I think a lot of these tensions and a lot of the paranoia and fear that is amplified through conspiracy theories around pedophilia certainly has something to do with fears concerning the unraveling of our nation's moral fabric as construed by white Christian nationalists, or fundamentalists. But also it kind of creates an institutional space for hitting back against so-called non-normative people in terms of sex, gender, race. And I don't think we can separate what's happening with Epstein and what happened with [Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect] Robert Bowers. I think a very clear connection to a white nationalist, anti-Semitic belief system is being stoked on these online forums right now.

The first iteration of this wasn't the Satanic panics of the 80s, but hundreds of years previously, right?
I think that's an obvious one, but it's also really about Satan as a conspiracy figure. People like Epstein, [Robert] Mueller, [John] Podesta, even more-so than either of the Clintons, become these demonic figures. So I think this really goes back to the Bible. It's apocalyptic. So the Satanic Panics were certainly [related] to white, middle-class women entering the work force in mass numbers and leaving their children entrusted to child care, and it had that certain kind of tension to it. But now this is a different kind of way of thinking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Has there ever been a real, journalistically-sound case like the Epstein one that you could point to as having directly contributed to this kind of thinking, or have these theories always been based off of more vague feelings of cultural unease first and facts second?
I don't think we can separate this from what's being going on with #MeToo. Looking at, for example, what QAnon did with Tom Hanks: Putting his name out there as the guy they needed to fixate on. When I saw that, I was thinking about how there's no way we can separate this focus on Hollywood figures in particular with things like #MeToo and the Weinstein case that broke everything open. So I do think that the real-world connections—and this is how conspiracy theory works—they don't have to be clear-cut. The language of QAnon is "crumbs." So there just has to be crumbs of evidence that open up the possibility for people to participate in trying to put together the puzzle.

How have these kinds of theories evolved over time? And how do they fit into the context of other right-wing fears like Jade Helm and other militia-type views? What's usually going on in the culture that leads to one genre of conspiracy rather than the other?
Bowers on Gab, which was his social media network of preference, was saying things like, "Jews are the children of Satan." Because of the way that online technologies open up these degrees to which people can participate in an affective networking of paranoia or of a particular kind of feeling, you're not necessarily saying, "I'm feeling paranoid." But you're actually embodying that intensity such that you then act on it without really thinking about it. And in that case it literally goes back to Satan, in terms of his own language. It's not only an unraveling of the hetero-partriachy, or white masculinity, or even white nationalism. It's all of those things, but it's also very much a Biblical vision of what is happening in the world right now.

Does the modern compartmentalization of views—and fake news, etc.—make it harder to debunk or combat this stuff than in decades past?
So I think I would want to emphasize that the level of participation that's available due to social media is critical to how intense conspiracy theory discourse has become in our current cultural climate. Donald Trump certainly has something to do with it. When you see high-level government officials reiterate these things over Twitter, [that] makes a huge difference. It's not just through some news network or political speeches—although he's doing that, too—but the fact that people can then participate by reposting and trying to get his attention and all that kind of stuff. So you have all these kinds of levels through which people can contribute to and help hash out the puzzle.

Do these conspiracy theorists even pay attention to the mainstream media or care about a story like this—even if it fits their worldview?
Any story related to pedophilia being perpetrated by government officials on the right will be amplifying paranoia toward liberal elites and their [alleged] participation in global sex trafficking of children. So even if Epstein has connections to Trump, for example, his connections to [Bill] Clinton and Hollywood celebrities are gonna take precedence. And I've seen a lot of things lately about the Mueller investigation, and I think [Anthony] Scaramucci's comments, and the way things are playing out online in various forums, whether it be through QAnon and their mega memes on YouTube or Reddit, is basically a distraction from the Mueller investigation and trying to turn it into something its not.

What kind of chatter are you seeing on the internet about Epstein, and how is it similar or different from what you saw in your research about Pizzagate?
Last night I was looking at some QAnon pieces on YouTube, and they weren't using any actual photos of the girls that Epstein molested, but rather a lot of the stock footage that I saw when I was doing my Pizzagate investigation. They're not even photos—they're illustrations and sketches of children. They're on hooks. They're hanging from walls. There's blood. There's a ritual sacrifice montage, and the people perpetrating it are always masked. They look more like monsters and demons than they do actual humans. So girls, even the language of girls, and the girls that Epstein molested and there are pictures of, are not being used in any of the conspiracy theory discourse and footage I'm seeing. It's always the figure of the child. So any kind of reality in terms of the actual children being abused is not being considered at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Now I think we're seeing a shift into the apocalyptic and supernatural, where it's not about mothers leaving children behind and what that means in terms of the division of labor in the home and the hetero-patriarchy, it's much more about the End Times.

So what's likely to happen next in the never-ending story of right-wing feverdreams?
A lot of people still believe in Pizzagate. People were still believing in it and went to the White House to protest. I think it was roughly 70 people. Then we see QAnon pop up, and every hashtag I see is #QAnon, #Pedogate, and #Pizzagate. All of those things feed one another. If one goes away anytime soon, there will be another hashtag that pops up. I definitely don't think this is going away anytime soon, and if anything, it's just going to keep getting more intense and more violent in real-life terms. Whether that be targeted individuals like Mueller or Podesta, or populations like Jewish people. Unfortunately, those are very real dangers.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pa5z ... ilia-panic
liminalOyster

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Gavin McInnes Sues Southern Poverty Law Center for Branding Proud Boys ‘Hate Group’
Ex-boss of the ‘Western chauvinist’ clique claims he’s been made ‘socially despicable’ by the civil-rights group.
Will Sommer
02.04.19 12:46 PM ET

Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes sued the Southern Poverty Law Center on Monday, claiming that the civil-rights organization has cost him business opportunities by designating the pro-Trump men’s group he created as a hate group.

In the lawsuit, McInnes blames the SPLC’s “hate group” designation for the Proud Boys for everything from his being kicked off of PayPal, Facebook, and Twitter, to criticism from his own neighbors in a tony New York suburb.

“Mr. McInnes is essentially an untouchable, unable to retain or be considered for gainful employment in his line of work,” the lawsuit claims.

McInnes is suing the SPLC for defamation and tortious interference with economic advantage. McInnes also wants a court order stopping the SPLC and its employees from referring to him as someone connected to a hate group.

The SPLC declined to comment on McInnes’s lawsuit until Monday afternoon, after McInnes holds a press conference on the suit.

McInnes created the Proud Boys in 2016 as a club for “Western chauvinists,” with rules about what its members could wear and even how often they could masturbate. Since their founding, the Proud Boys have frequently clashed with left-wing protesters at rallies, and even served as bodyguards for Trump adviser Roger Stone.

McInnes announced in November that he was leaving the Proud Boys.

Southern Poverty Law Center President Richard Cohen discusses a SPLC federal lawsuit against the Alabama Accountability Act during a press conference in Montgomery, Ala., Monday, Aug. 19, 2013. The Montgomery-based law center contends the act discriminates against impoverished students in central Alabama counties because they can't afford to go to private schools and the non-failing public schools in nearby counties are not accessibl
Anti-Immigration Group Uses Mafia Law to Attack ‘Hate’ Label
Protesters march on Pennsylvania Avenue during the Women's March on Washington on January 21, 2017 in Washington, DC.
Democratic Party Drops Sponsorship of Women’s March
In his lawsuit, McInnes alleges that the SPLC has “falsely” described the Proud Boys as violent. But McInnes himself created a high-level rank for Proud Boys who got involved in fights, a distinction he later claimed only applied in cases of self-defense. Several Proud Boys were arrested in October after an attack following a McInnes speech in New York City.

McInnes isn’t the first person covered by the SPLC to pursue legal action against it. The SPLC issued an apology and a $3.4 million settlement payout in 2018 over listing British political activist Maajid Nawaz as an “anti-Muslim extremist.” In January, the anti-immigrant Center for Immigration Studies filed a racketeering lawsuit against the SPLC over its own hate group designation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gavin-mci ... ref=scroll
liminalOyster

Postby Heaven Swan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:27 am

Vice media is “reorganizing.”
VICE just canceled its HBO show with mass layoffs that hit the company. About 250 have been fired and lost their jobs today, which is ten percent of VICE media's employees.

Vice, Buzzfeed The Beginning Of Far Left Total Media Collapse

Published on Feb 1, 2019
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 pm

The wsj is owned by a man who is one of the greastest enemies of democracy in our generation.... go right ahead Mr FoxNews Murdoch and tell us all about how terrible Vice is

:P

Saudi Arabia Sought Vice’s Help to Build a Media Empire

Riyadh builds alliances with Western news outlets to reshape its image, battle rivals

By Rory Jones in Dubai, Benoit Faucon in London and Keach Hagey in New York
Updated Feb. 8, 2019 2:33 p.m. ET

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, shown in Tunisia in November, moved to control media assets soon after his father became king in 2015. Photo: fethi belaid/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

Shane Smith, one of the co-founders of Vice Media, appears at a New Delhi business summit in 2017. Discussions of a joint venture with Saudi Arabia are unlikely to move forward, according to people familiar with the matter. Photo: Anindito Mukherjee/Bloomberg News

“In their view, the problem is that they haven’t been telling their own story up to now, and they’d like to start,” said Elana DeLozier, a research fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Saudi Arabia’s government press office and royal court didn’t comment in response to questions about Saudi media ventures.

Amazon Inc. founder Jeff Bezos on Thursday pointed to additional efforts on the part of Saudi Arabia to polish its image in the Western media. In a blog post, Mr. Bezos alleged National Enquirer publisher American Media Inc. had tried to blackmail him and potentially colluded with Saudi Arabia to damage his reputation. The National Enquirer last year published a front-page cover of Prince Mohammed and nearly 100 pages dedicated to his kingdom’s reform efforts. Saudi individuals also have held talks about a possible investment in AMI, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

When asked on Friday in Washington whether Saudi Arabia played any role in the dispute with Mr. Bezos, Adel al-Jubeir, the minister of state for foreign affairs, said: “As far as I know: flat no.”

AMI said it “believes fervently that it acted lawfully in the reporting of the story of Mr. Bezos.”

Prince Mohammed moved to control media assets soon after his father, King Salman, became king in January 2015, as it became clear that rivals were winning in the opinion-shaping realms of culture and news. Qatar’s Al Jazeera has long been the region’s dominant news voice—and more recently a nuisance to Riyadh in its feud with its smaller neighbor. Turkish entertainment is widely consumed across the Arab World—despite a move last year by a Saudi-owned pan-Arab broadcaster to take Turkish TV dramas off the air.

The Saudi effort to control the narrative became more difficult after the Oct. 2 killing by Saudi operatives of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi sparked an international backlash.

The talks with Vice about a business partnership are unlikely to move forward, according to the people familiar with the discussions. Vice said it was reviewing its deal with government-controlled Saudi Research and Marketing Group, or SRMG, to produce documentaries about Saudi society.

But SRMG has already expanded the Saudi media footprint in several languages, including Farsi, the language of Iran, Saudi Arabia’s rival. SRMG has an Arabic broadcast joint venture with Bloomberg LP and a news venture with the Independent, the U.K. online newspaper, to produce content in Arabic, Farsi, Turkish and Urdu.

SRMG was headed until last year by a confidante of the crown prince, Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Mohammed, who took the role of chairman in 2015 after two funds operated by a Saudi government-owned bank bought a majority stake. Prince Bader soon began investing in the company’s suite of titles, including English-language site Arab News and Arabic newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat.

The Saudi government also has taken over the popular entertainment firm MBC Group and its news broadcaster Al Arabiya.

MBC began airing a Persian-language channel last year that is set to begin another new channel in Iraq in March. That plan has already provoked opposition from Iran-backed factions there, which have TV channels of their own and accuse Saudi Arabia of seeking to poison the society of majority-Shiite Iraq.

“It is quite difficult to consider such huge investment in international media in different languages without seeing it as part of the ongoing struggle…between the Saudi regime and its opponents,” said Fatima El-Issawi, an expert on Arab media and senior lecturer at the University of Essex in the U.K.

The Saudi connection with Vice came in 2017 through Prince Mohammed’s younger brother, Prince Khalid bin Salman, the Saudi ambassador to the U.S. and a fan of Vice’s provocative approach to news, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The Brooklyn-based firm had built its reputation and young audience with documentaries exploring subjects such as Japanese pornography and new varieties of illicit drugs—topics largely off-limits in conservative Saudi Arabia.

Prince Khalid initiated his brother’s meeting on the yacht last year, believing Vice, in partnership with SRMG, could speak to young Saudis more attracted to online platforms like YouTube than the satellite channels their parents watch, said one of the people familiar with the talks.

Despite the setbacks in the Saudi relationship, Vice Media, which suffered stalled revenue growth last year and recently said it would cut 10% of its workforce, already has some Middle East partners and remains open to working with others, according to people familiar with the company’s Mideast operations.

As Saudi Arabia invests more deeply in media, its Western partners have taken steps to show they are preserving editorial independence.

The Independent hired consultants to monitor the foreign-language sites produced with SRMG to ensure editorial standards are met and the journalism doesn’t become a mouthpiece for Saudi views, a spokesman and journalists at the publication said.

“Any idea that the Independent might avoid criticism of Saudi Arabia is absurd—as is plainly evident from our coverage in recent months, particularly in relation to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi,” the spokesman said.

Bloomberg is putting in place editorial rules to ensure its partnership with SRMG, creating an Arabic platform known as Bloomberg Asharq, doesn’t dilute its brand and adheres to its standards, according to people familiar with the matter. Bloomberg has structured its partnerships in other regions similarly.

In one media venture that competes with the influence of Saudi rival Iran, individuals connected to the Saudi royal court funded and helped launch Iran International, a Persian-language broadcaster in London, according to British corporate records and people familiar with the channel.

Some journalists at Iran International have complained that management is pushing a pro-Saudi, anti-Iran line at the 24-hour channel, which broadcasts via satellite to the Middle East, Europe and the U.S., and can be viewed in Iran.

Saudi Arabia is making “a systematic and very persistent push in a new direction in the media sphere,” said Negar Mortazavi, Iran International’s former Washington correspondent, who left the organization last year. “The Saudis want influence and credibility, and are paying a lot for it.”

A spokesman for Iran International said it “is not funded by the Saudi government, the Iranian government, or any other government,” and described it as a public-service news channel that adheres to strict international standards of impartiality, balance and accountability.

—Isabel Coles in Baghdad contributed to this article.

Write to Rory Jones at rory.jones@wsj.com, Benoit Faucon at benoit.faucon@wsj.com and Keach Hagey at keach.hagey@wsj.com
https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arab ... zNyFZJEk2z

Vice Reviews Its Contract With Saudi Publisher in Wake of Khashoggi Killing

Elsa Keslassy
October 22, 2018 6:49AM PST

The Public Investment Fund, the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, is an investor in Penske Media Corp., the parent company of Variety.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/v ... ssion=true

Prince Mohammed Does Hollywood
Fresh off a kidnapping spree in his native Riyadh, M.B.S. pitches Los Angeles liberals on a post-oil utopia in Saudi Arabia.

The final leg of the epic, three-week roadshow saw M.B.S. hobnobbing in Los Angeles, where industry moguls jostled to capitalize on the conservative kingdom’s newfound openness to Western entertainment. On Wednesday night, M.B.S. was welcomed to a Hollywood dinner hosted by producer Brian Grazer and his wife Veronica, alongside William Morris Endeavor boss Ari Emanuel, who is finalizing a deal with M.B.S. for a $400 million stake in Emanuel’s talent agency. The guest list was saturated with executives, including Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, Disney’s Bob Iger, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, and Snapchat’s Evan Spiegel, as well as tech entrepreneur Kobe Bryant, whom the prince reportedly made a special request to meet. Having traded his traditional ceremonial garb for a suit, M.B.S. kibitzed with former Trump aide Dina Powell and Vice co-founder Shane Smith; discussed the exploding use of Snapchat in Saudi Arabia; and asked Kobe how he got his Oscar. Topics that were deemed off-limits included the 32-year-old’s bombing campaign in Yemen, which has killed thousands of civilians; his abduction of Lebanon’s prime minister, Saad Hariri, in November; and the decidedly un-Hollywood-like repression of independent media and journalists, one of whom was recently imprisoned for five years for “insulting” the royal https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04 ... =truecourt.

2B57A733-0D29-48E6-BFDD-D2E5825C5085.jpeg

"There is an incentive to be a victim. It is cool to be a victim."

Gavin McInnes was talking about Darth Vader the other day, and starting to seethe.

Once upon a time, McInnes had been a co-founder of Vice, the millennial media brand that launched as a free Montreal music magazine in 1994. He was the one behind its brash voice and hipster DNA, a provocative writer and editor with a nose for raunchy street culture. But in 2008, his partners pushed him out amid so-called "creative differences." Vice exploded into a multibillion-dollar worldwide business venerating the new global youth culture. McInnes went the other way, doggedly hacking a jagged but unrelenting path to the far-right fringes of American culture.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/nyre ... ao34Gj2KVY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby thrulookingglass » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:55 pm

There simply is no "leftist" media. Dissent magazine? Adbusters...even Mother Jones is owned by Hearst. Z magazine is dead. Oliver Stone had his Untold History of the United States. Howard Zinn? Rolling Stone sometimes steps to the plate with responsible journalism. Village Voice? Truth is dangerous to those in power. All power is seized, never gained through altruistic means.
thrulookingglass

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Yeah, I missed that before. What garbage.
liminalOyster

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Nathan Barley is a self-facilitating media-node.

Dan Ashcroft is a journalist in debt.

SugarApe (later: sugaRAPE) is VICE, cunningly disguised.

Jonatton Yeah? is editor-in-chief. ("He changed his name by deed poll. He insisted on the question-mark.")

The century is young. The idiots are on the rise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDxtn5bV9pc

Keep it dense, keep it livid. It's well futile.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion