Perspectives in space, time and technology

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Perspectives in space, time and technology

Postby 82_28 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Tomorrow, Friday September 15th 2017 the Cassini mission to the Saturn system will come to an end. A bevy of raw data, most of it still unstudied is stored to be analyzed for generations to come. The magnificent surprises and discoveries made thus far are of a scale we can barely fathom.

Last night I watched the NOVA program "Death Dive to Saturn". It's worth watching (duh) for the awe intrinsic to the science and engineering but also the snapshot of history and eternal human memories it took with it.

http://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/n/NOV ... -to-Saturn

As the program presented what is known, baffling, mysterious et al, it ended on a sad note for the tiny humans who made it possible. Those who shepherded the Cassini since its inception were all going to disperse and "move on". It made me a little misty to think about, let alone a member of a team with such intimate dedication of selflessness. Just minutes before they were describing two Earths fitting inside the center of the hexagonal atmospheric/magnetic field anomaly/mystery on Saturn's north pole. A personal nod to the perspective in size was that moving on meant they would be traveling a "vast" distance upon one of the two "tiny" planets that could fit within one of the tiny features on a much larger planet.

The program then briefly touched on the computing power of the decades old spacecraft in which they have a working "replica" of in the basement of JPL where they test all mission routines before upload upon what appears frighteningly in need of an upgrade. The engineers spoke of the advanced design and redundancies with the added "would you believe it, your smart phone is many times more powerful than anything onboard!" It's still working of course, but it is just about out of propellant and thus tomorrow it takes the plunge.

Here is what I mean about perspective and why I almost find it most fascinating of all.

When Cassini launched from Earth in 1997 there were between 36 million and 70 million Internet users upon said planet.

Tomorrow, when it dies in 2017, there are approximately 4 BILLION users.

The first iteration of the Cassini website (that I can find) is from 2002 and you can see it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020605062 ... ndex.shtml

Here it is today in 2017:

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/

Seems like such a "no shit, what did you expect" type thing, but I don't think it is. It is much more. Don't just think of Cassini for this thread (or do) but think of all sorts of strange observations in space, time and technology that simply do not get the notice they deserve. Small things. Big things. Anything. Add them here if you want!

The First “Camera Phone” Photograph Was Sent in 1997

Cell phone photography is a huge trend these days with Instagram skyrocketing past 10 million users this past weekend, but have you ever wondered how it all started? An entrepreneur named Philippe Kahn is credited with creating the camera phone back in 1997. On June 11th of that year, Kahn took the first “camera phone” photo of his newborn daughter in a maternity ward, and then wirelessly transmitted the photo to more than 2,000 people around the world. Since “camera phones” didn’t exist at that time, Kahn actually hacked together a primitive one by combining a digital camera and a cell phone to send the photos in real time.

https://petapixel.com/2011/09/27/the-fi ... n-in-1997/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Perspectives in space, time and technology

Postby Burnt Hill » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:48 am

Interesting perspective on time from a local philosopher -

82_28 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:44 pm wrote:Outta sight. Outta mind. I've done this my entire life. Yet the most empathic feelings come from me that I cannot ignore. Not a claim to any sort of fame, but I sobbed over a jack-o-lantern for instance. It was in total decay/drooping and my parents threw it away. I looked into the trash can and saw it and burst into tears. So my dad drew me a picture of it and I said it would not work. I wanted the old pumpkin back. So he fished it out (no pun intended) and I witnessed obviously, it just rot away. But I put a meaning or emotion onto it. I've long looked into this shit and a connection is a connection even if it's seemingly one sided. The one side is what you alone experience and then share again creating a network of one sided experiences that go on for eternity if you are there to observe.
Burnt Hill

Re: Perspectives in space, time and technology

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 pm

The center of our Milky Way Galaxy is more than 24,000 light years away from Earth (7.4–8.7 kiloparsecs) making conventional travel at near light speed to other galaxies forever unlikely. Bending the time-space-gravity continuum remains our only option to accomplish such feats.

Technology ~ In this area, I believe just as we adopt the latest communications devices, we (not us tho) will certainly similarly adopt the latest biotechnological innovative adaptations.

Those who do not adapt to the latest bio-technological modifications will be viewed as 'inferior' by the majority of those who will, who, due to their 'modifications', will been seen as the far more desirable, more efficient employee/ manager, human. With AI recording all web info about everyone online, noting & remembering human traits as well as all that's recorded in servers termed "top secret," AI will undoubtedly prepare to defend itself from humanity and rid itself of the threat. Humanity, you've been forewarned.

Mostly for the hive minded, though.

Unless in future you want a job!

Ted Kaczynski was wrong, but he was right.
Iamwhomiam

Return to General Discussion