Are We All Being Monitored?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Are We All Being Monitored?

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 am

https://www.google.com/patents/US6506148

Nervous system manipulation by electromagnetic fields from monitors

US Patent 6506148 B2

ABSTRACT

Physiological effects have been observed in a human subject in response to stimulation of the skin with weak electromagnetic fields that are pulsed with certain frequencies near ½ Hz or 2.4 Hz, such as to excite a sensory resonance. Many computer monitors and TV tubes, when displaying pulsed images, emit pulsed electromagnetic fields of sufficient amplitudes to cause such excitation. It is therefore possible to manipulate the nervous system of a subject by pulsing images displayed on a nearby computer monitor or TV set. For the latter, the image pulsing may be imbedded in the program material, or it may be overlaid by modulating a video stream, either as an RF signal or as a video signal. The image displayed on a computer monitor may be pulsed effectively by a simple computer program. For certain monitors, pulsed electromagnetic fields capable of exciting sensory resonances in nearby subjects may be generated even as the displayed images are pulsed with subliminal intensity.
stickdog99

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Are We All Being Monitored?

Postby 82_28 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 am

Do you mean are we being subliminally influenced or do you mean are we being watched? Definitely both. I'm sure this happens all the time and people are probably used to it now, perhaps even find it helpful, but I always keep the GPS off on my phone. Last week I turned it on for traffic information on google maps and then "turned it off". Well, I went to two different establishments over the course of a couple of days that knew exactly where I was. One of the places was a Fred Meyer (big WalMart like stores in the PNW) and it knew I was there and I assume knew what I bought since I put my phone number in for the "points" and discount song and dance. Another was a restaurant. Though I knew full well this happens to everybody all the time, I found it a little startling to see that these icons had popped up on my phone when I got home. So that is what I would call being monitored.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby lucky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:59 am

every app you sign up for gives google play or itunes the right to access just about every part of your phone - you are signing away your (our) freedom. Im sure you already know this but go to down load any app and before you accept it read what the terms are....
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby 82_28 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, I know. That's why I "turned off" the GPS after I was done using it. I physically tapped the GPS icon. Like all things android, it seems like there is always something that capriciously changes.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Grizzly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:56 am

google owns android, therefore google owns your phone. You are just renting it.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby elfismiles » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Hugh Manatee Wins » 01 Nov 2007 02:45 wrote:...
Television and the Hive Mind
by Mack White

http://www.mackwhite.com/tv.html

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Grizzly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Wonder why Congress doesn't clamp down on its gung-ho spies? Well, wonder no more

No, it's not because they have Trump-pee-tapes

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/0 ... cy_excess/

Addendum:

58 Human Rights and Civil Liberties Organizations Demand an End to the Backdoor Search Loophole
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/10/c ... d-backdoor
Applying a warrant requirement only to searches of Section 702 data involving ‘criminal suspects,’ is not an adequate solution to this problem.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby lucky » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:09 am

82_28 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:41 pm wrote:Yeah, I know. That's why I "turned off" the GPS after I was done using it. I physically tapped the GPS icon. Like all things android, it seems like there is always something that capriciously changes.

.....and it was turned back on again,by the folk you rent the phone from :starz:
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby DrEvil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Grizzly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 pm wrote:google owns android, therefore google owns your phone. You are just renting it.

Google develops Android, true, but they also release it as open source (Apache License. You can download the source code here: https://source.android.com/ ). Anyone can take it and modify it as much as they like. You don't need permission from Google to release a phone running a modified version of Android. The problem is the various closed source Google apps that come along with it (gmail, maps, etc.), all of which can be uninstalled/disabled and replaced with more trusted apps, or you can replace the stock Android OS with any number of alternatives. Most people don't, but they can if they're so inclined.

As for Apple, that's actually one of the few things I like about them. They have some of the best privacy policies in the business. They make their money from selling hardware, not ads, and know perfectly well that collecting and abusing personal info just pisses people off. That's why you have all the hullabaloo about encrypted phones, because Apple refuses to play along with the feds.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby 82_28 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Want to see something crazy? Open this link on your phone with WiFi turned off

Want to see something crazy? Open this link on your phone with WiFi turned off:

https://bit.ly/crazymobiledemo

Click “Begin,” enter the ZIP code and then click “See Underlying Data.”

What you should see is your home address, phone number, cell phone contract details, and — depending on what kind of cell phone towers you’re currently connected to — a latitude and longitude describing the current location of your cell phone.

Here’s simpler demo. This time, no ZIP code required:

https://bit.ly/mobilescary

What’s going on here?

In December of 2013, AT&T announced their “Mobile Identity API”, available only through an enterprise contract with AT&T. Verizon later announced something similar. It looks like both Danal and Payfone are paying for access to these enterprise telco APIs[1], [2].

These services are using your mobile phone’s IP address to look up your phone number, your billing information and possibly your phone’s current location as provided by cell phone towers (no GPS or phone location services required). These services are doing this with the assistance of the telco providers.

The idea is that these services could be used to detect fraud by cross-referencing user provided billing or phone number information with the cell phone provider’s information. Or, in the case of cell phone location, cross referencing phone-provided GPS location with the location of the phone as provided by cell phone towers.

While the two demos above require the lookup IP address to be the same as the requesting IP address, such safeguards may not be in place if you purchase contracts from these companies. For instance, the payfone.com API appears to allow customers to look up cell phone information just by saying the user has consented. Their API also allows batch lookups.

In 2003, news came to light that AT&T was providing the DEA and other law enforcement agencies with no-court-warrant-required access to real time cell phone metadata. This was a pretty big deal at the time.

But what these services show us is even more alarming: US telcos appear to be selling direct, non-anonymized, real-time access to consumer telephone data to third party services — not just federal law enforcement officials — who are then selling access to that data.

Given the trivial “consent” step required by these services and unlikely audit controls, it appears that these services could be used to track or de-anonymize nearly anyone with a cell phone in the United States with potentially no oversight.

Thanks to Paul Lanzi for freaking me out and showing me the Danal demo site!

https://medium.com/@philipn/want-to-see ... 0adb00d024
82_28

Postby stickdog99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 am

stickdog99

Postby 82_28 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 am

See.

Google collects Android users’ locations even when location services are disabled

Many people realize that smartphones track their locations. But what if you actively turn off location services, haven’t used any apps, and haven’t even inserted a carrier SIM card?

Even if you take all of those precautions, phones running Android software gather data about your location and send it back to Google when they’re connected to the internet, a Quartz investigation has revealed.

Since the beginning of 2017, Android phones have been collecting the addresses of nearby cellular towers—even when location services are disabled—and sending that data back to Google. The result is that Google, the unit of Alphabet behind Android, has access to data about individuals’ locations and their movements that go far beyond a reasonable consumer expectation of privacy.

Quartz observed the data collection occur and contacted Google, which confirmed the practice.

The cell tower addresses have been included in information sent to the system Google uses to manage push notifications and messages on Android phones for the past 11 months, according to a Google spokesperson. They were never used or stored, the spokesperson said, and the company is now taking steps to end the practice after being contacted by Quartz. By the end of November, the company said, Android phones will no longer send cell-tower location data to Google, at least as part of this particular service, which consumers cannot disable.

“In January of this year, we began looking into using Cell ID codes as an additional signal to further improve the speed and performance of message delivery,” the Google spokesperson said in an email. “However, we never incorporated Cell ID into our network sync system, so that data was immediately discarded, and we updated it to no longer request Cell ID.”

It is not clear how cell-tower addresses, transmitted as a data string that identifies a specific cell tower, could have been used to improve message delivery. But the privacy implications of the covert location-sharing practice are plain. While information about a single cell tower can only offer an approximation of where a mobile device actually is, multiple towers can be used to triangulate its location to within about a quarter-mile radius, or to a more exact pinpoint in urban areas, where cell towers are closer together.

The practice is troubling for people who’d prefer they weren’t tracked, especially for those such as law-enforcement officials or victims of domestic abuse who turn off location services thinking they’re fully concealing their whereabouts. Although the data sent to Google is encrypted, it could potentially be sent to a third party if the phone had been compromised with spyware or other methods of hacking. Each phone has a unique ID number, with which the location data can be associated.

The revelation comes as Google and other internet companies are under fire from lawmakers and regulators, including for the extent to which they vacuum up data about users. Such personal data, ranging from users’ political views to their purchase histories to their locations, are foundational to the business successes of companies like Facebook and Alphabet, built on targeted advertising and personalization and together valued at over $1.2 trillion by investors.

The location-sharing practice does not appear to be limited to any particular type of Android phone or tablet; Google was apparently collecting cell tower data from all modern Android devices before being contacted by Quartz. A source familiar with the matter said the cell tower addresses were being sent to Google after a change in early 2017 to the Firebase Cloud Messaging service, which is owned by Google and runs on Android phones by default.

Even devices that had been reset to factory default settings and apps, with location services disabled, were observed by Quartz sending nearby cell-tower addresses to Google. Devices with a cellular data or WiFi connection appear to send the data to Google each time they come within range of a new cell tower. When Android devices are connected to a WiFi network, they will send the tower addresses to Google even if they don’t have SIM cards installed.

“It has pretty concerning implications,” said Bill Budington, a software engineer who works for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that advocates for digital privacy. “You can kind of envision any number of circumstances where that could be extremely sensitive information that puts a person at risk.”

The section of Google’s privacy policy that covers location sharing says the company will collect location information from devices that use its services, but does not indicate whether it will collect data from Android devices when location services are disabled:

When you use Google services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide Google with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.

According to the Google spokesperson, the company’s system that controls its push notifications and messages is “distinctly separate from Location Services, which provide a device’s location to apps.” Android devices never offered consumers a way to opt out of the collection of cell tower data.

“It is really a mystery as to why this is not optional,” said Matthew Hickey, a security expert and researcher at Hacker House, a security firm based in London. “It seems quite intrusive for Google to be collecting such information that is only relevant to carrier networks when there are no SIM card or enabled services.”

While Google says it doesn’t use the location data it collects using this service, its does allow advertisers to target consumers using location data, an approach that has obvious commercial value. The company can tell using precise location tracking, for example, whether an individual with an Android phone or running Google apps has set foot in a specific store, and use that to target the advertising a user subsequently sees.

https://qz.com/1131515/google-collects- ... -disabled/
82_28

Postby chump » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 am

Via: Cryptogon
Via:

The Register:

Three misconfigured AWS S3 buckets have been discovered wide open on the public internet containing “dozens of terabytes” of social media posts and similar pages – all scraped from around the world by the US military to identify and profile persons of interest.

The archives were found by UpGuard’s veteran security-breach hunter Chris Vickery during a routine scan of open Amazon-hosted data silos, and the trio weren’t exactly hidden. The buckets were named centcom-backup, centcom-archive, and pacom-archive.

CENTCOM is the common abbreviation for the US Central Command, which controls army operations in the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia. PACOM is the name for US Pacific Command, covering the rest of southern Asia, China and Australasia.

Vickery told The Register today he stumbled upon them by accident while running a scan for the word “COM” in publicly accessible S3 buckets. After refining his search, the CENTCOM archive popped up, and at first he thought it was related to Chinese multinational Tencent, but quickly realized it was a US military archive of astounding size.

“For the research I downloaded 400GB of samples but there were many terabytes of data up there,” he said. “It’s mainly compressed text files that can expand out by a factor of ten so there’s dozens and dozens of terabytes out there and that’s a conservative estimate.”

Just one of the buckets contained 1.8 billion social media posts automatically fetched over the past eight years up to today. It mainly contains postings made in central Asia, however Vickery noted that some of the material is taken from comments made by American citizens.

The databases also reveal some interesting clues as to what this information is being used for...
chump

Return to General Discussion