German study: 76% of winged insects vanished since 1990

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

German study: 76% of winged insects vanished since 1990

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 pm

God damn.

Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers

Three-quarters of flying insects in nature reserves across Germany have vanished in 25 years, with serious implications for all life on Earth, scientists say

Damian Carrington Environment editor
@dpcarrington
Wednesday 18 October 2017 19.00 BST

Flying insects caught in a malaise trap, used by entomologists to collect samples. Photograph: Courtesy of Entomologisher Verein Krefeld

The abundance of flying insects has plunged by three-quarters over the past 25 years, according to a new study that has shocked scientists.

Insects are an integral part of life on Earth as both pollinators and prey for other wildlife and it was known that some species such as butterflies were declining. But the newly revealed scale of the losses to all insects has prompted warnings that the world is “on course for ecological Armageddon”, with profound impacts on human society.

The new data was gathered in nature reserves across Germany but has implications for all landscapes dominated by agriculture, the researchers said.

The cause of the huge decline is as yet unclear, although the destruction of wild areas and widespread use of pesticides are the most likely factors and climate change may play a role. The scientists were able to rule out weather and changes to landscape in the reserves as causes, but data on pesticide levels has not been collected.

“The fact that the number of flying insects is decreasing at such a high rate in such a large area is an alarming discovery,” said Hans de Kroon, at Radboud University in the Netherlands and who led the new research.

“Insects make up about two-thirds of all life on Earth [but] there has been some kind of horrific decline,” said Prof Dave Goulson of Sussex University, UK, and part of the team behind the new study. “We appear to be making vast tracts of land inhospitable to most forms of life, and are currently on course for ecological Armageddon. If we lose the insects then everything is going to collapse.”

The research, published in the journal Plos One, is based on the work of dozens of amateur entomologists across Germany who began using strictly standardised ways of collecting insects in 1989. Special tents called malaise traps were used to capture more than 1,500 samples of all flying insects at 63 different nature reserves.

The malaise traps set in protected areas and reserves, which scientists say makes the declines even more worrying. Photograph: Courtesy of Courtesy of Entomologisher Verein Krefeld

When the total weight of the insects in each sample was measured a startling decline was revealed. The annual average fell by 76% over the 27 year period, but the fall was even higher – 82% – in summer, when insect numbers reach their peak.

Previous reports of insect declines have been limited to particular insects, such European grassland butterflies, which have fallen by 50% in recent decades. But the new research captured all flying insects, including wasps and flies which are rarely studied, making it a much stronger indicator of decline.

The fact that the samples were taken in protected areas makes the findings even more worrying, said Caspar Hallmann at Radboud University, also part of the research team: “All these areas are protected and most of them are well-managed nature reserves. Yet, this dramatic decline has occurred.”

[...]

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ct-numbers
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Germany: 76% of flying insects vanished in last 27 years

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:23 pm

How does this fit with other people's experiences, in the US or elsewhere? It matches my own personal experience closely, both in the UK and in Germany. This year I have barely seen even a wasp, never mind a bee or a butterfly. It is shocking.

In the summer of 1975, when I was in my mid-teens, I holidayed with my family for two weeks in a remote house on the Welsh border. I remember reading in bed on my first night there (Jack London's Call of the Wild), then getting up to open the window because the room was so hot; and what I saw there shocked me (as a city kid): literally the entire window was covered in fat moths and beetles. It gave me the creeps, but it was also fascinating to see just how many different species were there. My bedroom window must have shown the only light for miles around.

A decade later. in the summer of '86, I remember taking a motorcyle trip from London to Cambridge as pillion passenger on my friend's Kawasaki. We did the "ton up", i.e. we passed the 100 mph mark. Halfway there, our helmets and visors were so covered with dead insects that we had to stop and clean them off. Not just his, mine too. We laughed and joked about it.

Those days are gone.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby DrEvil » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Same here. I'm pretty hysterical about any kind of insect large enough to make sound, and this summer I honestly can't remember hearing a single wasp, bee or bumblebee outside my window, whereas earlier they used to line up to the point where I had to install netting to keep them out.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:45 pm

So, Scandinavia too. Damn, this is awful.

I might yet remove the word "Germany" from the thread-title, because it kind of suggests that this is a story of only local relevance. No, it's just that Germany is the first country to do a careful systematic study using decades of recorded data.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Sounder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

It is the same in the states Mac. Thanks for starting the thread.

I felt bad for celebrating a few days ago when a bug expired on my windshield.

This is another side effect of the 'chemical cure', where death is the objective.

I might 'go off' on this one, so best to step back and compose.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Scientists to release hordes of Samurai wasps to combat stink bugs in Upstate NY

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2017/03/scientists_to_release_hordes_of_samurai_wasps_to_combat_stink_bugs_in_upstate_ny.html

The stink bugs are winning.

And there are two kinds now, I have never seen them this bad.
Burnt Hill

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 am

Although bug splatter reduction is anecdotal, a growing body of research shows many once-common insects are declining. A study published in Science found most known invertebrate populations have dropped by 45 per cent over the past four decades. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds reports the U.K. has seen a 59 per cent decline in insects since 1970. Global estimates point to a 40 per cent reduction of all pollinating insects.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/scienc ... nt-spring/

I would guess that those estimates are on the conservative side. This new German study is the most systematic and detailed one yet carried out.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 am

In the last two years or so, long before this systematic German study came out, short articles & worried anecdotal accounts about the "clean windshield" phenomenon began to appear in the UK press. Here are two from the Guardian, with the same title, written by two separate authors eight months apart:

Where have all the insects gone?

Charlie Hart

Britain’s insect population is struggling - gone are the days when your windscreen was full of bugs at the end of a car journey

Wednesday 21 September 2016 08.00 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... population

Where have all the insects gone?

Hugh Warwick

While news focuses on elections or the economy, the bigger picture is that our world is being tragically and massively denuded of non-human forms of life

Saturday 13 May 2017 11.30 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nuded-life

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:12 am

Sounder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 pm wrote:It is the same in the states Mac. Thanks for starting the thread.

I felt bad for celebrating a few days ago when a bug expired on my windshield.

This is another side effect of the 'chemical cure', where death is the objective.

I might 'go off' on this one, so best to step back and compose.

Thanks, Sounder. It is very depressing, but not at all surprising, to hear that things are the same in the States.

It is a death culture. Capital is eating the planet.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Re: German study: 76% of winged insects vanished since 1990

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am

The moth snowstorm, a phenomenon Michael McCarthy remembers from his boyhood when moths “would pack a car’s headlight beams like snowflakes in a blizzard,” is a distant memory. Wildlife is being lost, not only in the wholesale extinctions of species but also in the dwindling of those species that still exist.

The Moth Snowstorm is unlike any other book about climate change today; combining the personal with the polemical, it is a manifesto rooted in experience, a poignant memoir of the author’s first love: nature. McCarthy traces his adoration of the natural world to when he was seven, when the discovery of butterflies and birds brought sudden joy to a boy whose mother had just been hospitalized and whose family life was deteriorating. He goes on to record in painful detail the rapid dissolution of nature’s abundance in the intervening decades, and he proposes a radical solution to our current problem: that we each recognize in ourselves the capacity to love the natural world.

Arguing that neither sustainable development nor ecosystem services have provided adequate defense against pollution, habitat destruction, species degradation, and climate change, McCarthy asks us to consider nature as an intrinsic good and an emotional and spiritual resource, capable of inspiring joy, wonder, and even love. An award-winning environmental journalist, McCarthy presents a clear, well-documented picture of what he calls “the great thinning” around the world, while interweaving the story of his own early discovery of the wilderness and a childhood saved by nature. Drawing on the truths of poets, the studies of scientists, and the author’s long experience in the field, The Moth Snowstorm is part elegy, part ode, and part argument, resulting in a passionate call to action.

https://www.amazon.com/Moth-Snowstorm-N ... 1681370409

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:47 am

Whether the insect population reduction of the last 30-40 years is 40% or 75% or more, it continues unimpeded, within a rapid mass extinction event ending in chaotic collapses of habitats on a planetary timescale within a similar timeframe.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 am

Yeah. We're well into the Anthropocene now. Michael McCarthy calls it "the great thinning". There'll be little reason for us to join Elon Musk on Mars when the Earth is itself indistinguishable from that long-dead planet.

Alien archaeologists of the future will puzzle over the ruins of Las Vegas and old DVDs of The Ellen Degeneres Show.

[...]

What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

http://www.bartleby.com/122/33.html

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Cordelia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 am

Noticeably no new wasp nests this year; no wasps at all. :tear (When I moved to a rural area in the late 1980's, I reluctantly learned to cohabitate w/many insects; I later learned to respect, appreciate and even revere bugs, through a little boy who was a city-dweller & budding entomologist.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6J2Xidhz3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_zA5hoUD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6shA0yJ8W4
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Sounder » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm

http://rinf.com/alt-news/editorials/rol ... xtinction/

......Cited in The Guardian (see previous link), Prof Dave Goulson of Sussex University, UK, and part of the team behind the new study, says, “We appear to be making vast tracts of land inhospitable to most forms of life… If we lose the insects then everything is going to collapse.”

In the same piece, it is noted that flying insects are vital because they pollinate flowers. Moreover, many, not least bees, are important for pollinating key food crops. Most fruit crops are insect-pollinated and insects also provide food for many animals, including birds, bats, some mammals, fish, reptiles and amphibians. Flies, beetles and wasps are also predators and important decomposers, breaking down dead plants and animals. And insects form the base of thousands of food chains; their disappearance is a principal reason Britain’s farmland birds have more than halved in number since 1970. Indeed the 2016 State of Nature Report found that one in 10 UK wildlife species are threatened with extinction, with numbers of certain creatures having plummeted by two thirds since 1970.

Rosemary Mason has been providing detailed accounts of massive insect declines on her own nature reserve in South Wales for some time. She has published first-hand accounts of the destruction of biodiversity on the reserve in various books and documents that have been submitted to relevant officials and pesticide regulation authorities in the UK and beyond. The research from Germany validates her findings.

Mason has written numerous open letters to officials citing reams of statistical data to support the contention agrochemicals, especially Monsanto’s glyphosate-based Roundup, have devastated the natural environment and have also led to spiraling rates of illness and disease, especially among children.

She indicates how the widespread use on agricultural crops of neonicotinoid insecticides and the herbicide glyphosate, both of which cause immune suppression, make species vulnerable to emerging infectious pathogens, driving large-scale wildlife extinctions, including essential pollinators.

Providing evidence to show how human disease patterns correlate remarkably well with the rate of glyphosate usage on corn, soy and wheat crops, which has increased due to ‘Roundup Ready’ crops, Mason indicates how our over-reliance on chemicals in agriculture is causing irreparable harm to all beings on this planet.......
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

And this is from 2005.

Postby Burnt Hill » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 pm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/0920_050920_extinct_insects.html

Mass Extinction of Insects May Be Occurring Undetected

September 20, 2005

The term "endangered species" typically conjures up images of charismatic animals—tigers, pandas, orangutans, whales, condors. But a new study says that the vast majority of species on the verge of extinction is in fact humble insects.

The study estimates that up to 44,000 bugs of all varieties could have been wiped off the face of the Earth during the last 600 years. And hundreds of thousands more insect species could be lost over the next 50 years.

Only about 70 insect extinctions have been documented since the 15th century, possibly because many insects have been poorly studied.

"Most extinctions estimated to have occurred in the historical past, or predicted to occur in the future, are of insects," argues entomologist Robert R. Dunn of North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

The finding is significant, because insects play vital roles in plant pollination, decomposition, and soil processing. They also form essential links in ecological chains as plant-eaters, predators, and parasites.

The loss of keystone insect species—those on which a large number of other species depend—could be especially detrimental for ecosystems and people.

Multitude of Missing Species

"Most entomologists I know have some species they haven't seen in years, but [they don't] have the time or money to look for them," said Dunn, who reports his findings in the current issue of the journal Conservation Biology.

"It wouldn't be hard to come up with a list, for example, of 50 ant species in the Americas that haven't been seen for 50 years—many in urban areas that used to be wild," he said.

Insects make up 80 percent of all known animal species. Though only 900,000 insects have been identified, experts agree that there are still vast numbers of undocumented species. Estimates vary, but some researchers believe that as many as 2 to 100 million insect species could exist.

To estimate how many insects may have become extinct in recent history, Dunn first looked at figures for well-documented birds and mammals. He found that, over the last 600 years, 129 bird species have gone extinct, or 1.3 percent of all existing bird species.

Dunn then assumed that 3.4 million insect species live on Earth. If insects go extinct at a similar rate as birds do, then about 44,000 species could have disappeared over the same time period.

Few of these extinctions are documented because insects in general are poorly studied, Dunn notes. In addition, insects are small and difficult to find, making it difficult to confirm whether species have vanished for good.

In some cases it's even difficult to demonstrate that larger species are totally extinct, said entomologist Jeff Boettner of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. For example, Boettner points to the ongoing controversy over the recently rediscovered ivory-billed woodpecker (Campephilus principalis).

"It might not be so easy to confirm that birds are extinct, let alone insects, when we don't even know about the status of one of the largest woodpeckers in the U.S.," he said.

Most of the 70-odd insect extinctions that have been officially recorded are of charismatic species, such as butterflies, or from small habitats that could be exhaustively searched, such as the Hawaiian islands, or from parts of the world that have been extensively studied, such as the United States.

Disappearing Act

Some insects may be lost in ways that aren't considered for larger species.

For example, research suggests that many insects have narrower geographic ranges than larger animals and plants, meaning that it is much easier to totally obliterate the habitats these insects need to survive.

One extinct species of insect, the Rocky Mountain locust (Melanoplus spretus), was once so numerous that in the 1800s it was described as the single largest barrier to westward expansion in the U.S., Dunn says.

The locusts migrated by the millions between breeding and feeding grounds. Their swarms averaged six feet (two meters) high and hundreds of feet (tens of meters) across.

But the bug's breeding ground was a small, restricted type of floodplain habitat. Destruction of these habitats to create new cattle pasture was enough to drive the species to extinction by the turn of the 20th century.

Another way insects may be lost is through a process known as co-extinction, Dunn said. Many insects go extinct when species they rely on disappear. Most fish, birds, lizards, and other animals have their own specialized mites and lice, so when the host species die, their parasites die with them.

Also, plant-eating insects are likely to go extinct when the plants they feed on die. A massive population decline in chestnut trees due to chestnut blight in the 20th century took at least three species of butterfly with it.

Boettner agrees that co-extinction could be a major factor. "In ecology you rarely lose one thing. For every species of mammal, bird, plant, insect, and so on, there are at least two species of parasites that specialize on them as hosts."

Similarly, losing some species of insects could have surprising effects for people.

One 1997 study estimates that a third of world crop production depends on pollination by wild insects. Without these bugs in the ecosystem, an estimated 117 billion dollars (U.S.) worth of crops would fail.

However, "many insects, just like many vertebrates, don't have a role that we would miss if they were to go extinct," Dunn noted. "For these species, the reason for conservation cannot simply be utilitarian, just as it is not for many vertebrates."

"We conserve tigers and pandas because we value them culturally and aesthetically, and because it seems wrong to let them go extinct due to solely human factors," he said.
Burnt Hill

Next

Return to General Discussion