#MeToo news

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

#MeToo news

Postby Heaven Swan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 am

Sparked by #MeToo campaign, sexual assault survivors rally and march in Hollywood

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Some wore T-shirts with the words “Me Too” emblazoned across the front, while others held up signs that said “No more sexual abuse” and “Rape is not a joke.”

On Sunday, several hundred survivors of sexual harassment and assault and their supporters gathered in front of the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood to draw attention to their cause. Recently, there has been an uprising of women who have gone public with their stories of abuse and systemic sexism.

“I’m really happy to come here, because really it’s Hollywood that opened this floodgate,” said Tarana Burke, who co-founded an organization called Just Be Inc. “It’s really symbolic to have this march happen, not with Hollywood stars, but in Hollywood.”

Last week, comedian Louis C.K. became the latest Hollywood figure to be felled by a sex scandal, following producer Harvey Weinstein, producer-director Brett Ratner, writer-director James Toback and actor Kevin Spacey. Also, Sacramento politicians and Washington lawmakers have been ensnared in their own scandals.

Sparked by #MeToo campaign, sexual assault survivors march in Hollywood
TV journalist Lauren Sivan, who has accused Weinstein of making unwanted sexual advances, wore a red shirt to Sunday’s demonstration that said “Take Back the Workplace.” She also stood up to speak to the assembled crowd.

“You are all brave,” she said. “Bravery comes in many different forms. You don’t have to wear a flak jacket to make America a better place to live and to work and you’re all doing it by being here today.”

Sivan then took her place at the head of the crowd as it began to march through Hollywood, chanting, “No more secrets, no more lies — no more silence that money buys!”

As the marchers passed tourists snapping photos along Hollywood Boulevard, their chants echoed along the street: “Survivors united, will never be divided,” and “Whatever we wear, wherever we go, yes means yes and no means no.”

Among the crowd were three friends, each with their own stories of survival. All of them work in the entertainment industry and live in Los Angeles.

“We think it’s really important to bring a voice and a face to the survivors that are literally all around us,” said Diana Varco, who held a sign that read “Rape is not a joke.” “We joke about it like it doesn’t happen and that just perpetuates the cycle.”

Beside her, Christy Lee Hughes, also a survivor, held a sign that read: “Stop victim blaming.”

“I feel like people are finally starting to listen,” Hughes said. “But I do have to emphasize this: This is the tip of the iceberg. There are so many more, I’m telling you — there are so many more.”

Their friend, Jozanne Marie, an immigrant from Jamaica, said she dealt with abuse from within her family for a 10-year period. She wore a shirt that read: “The shame does not belong to you.”

“This is a bigger issue, it’s all over the world. I’m glad people are talking about it right now,” she said. “I’m hopeful this movement will help remove shame. … I believe things are going to change and this is going to set us up for the next generation.”

Burke said that Sunday’s #MeToo march was just the first step in a larger campaign to raise awareness about sexual misconduct in the workplace and elsewhere.

“I think it’s just the beginning,” she said. “This goes so far beyond Hollywood, this goes so far beyond the glitz and the glamour of what we’re seeing in the media — deep into the crevices of all parts of the world.”

Actress and activist Frances Fisher was among those who joined the demonstrators.

“There’s a tsunami of women and men coming forward for the first time in the history of the world and finally the mainstream media is paying attention,” Fisher said. “It’s an incredible moment in the history of something that has been endemic in society ever since the cavemen.”

“We’re putting everyone on notice who are predators, that this will not stand — all the way up to the predator in chief,” she added. She was referring to President Trump, who was caught bragging in vulgar language on a 2005 video, recorded for the "Access Hollywood" show, about grabbing and kissing women without their permission.

Trump has maintained his innocence during his presidency, as he did in the campaign.

Protesters marched to the CNN building on Sunset and Cahuenga boulevards. They rallied about 11:30 a.m. in front of the building with several demonstrators speaking to the crowd.

“We will no longer be intimidated, we will no longer be dismissed, we will no longer be silenced, we will no longer feel alone,” said Tess Rafferty, co-organizer of the Take Back the Workplace March that joined forces with #MeToo organizers for Sunday’s rally. “And if you try and silence or intimidate or discredit one of us, you’re going to have to deal with all of us. We are no longer the ones who have to fear for their jobs, you are.”

State Sen. Connie Leyva (D-Chino) also spoke to the crowd, saying she is going to introduce legislation to ban secret settlements in sexual harassment cases.

“It’s about time, right?” she said. “To all the women here, I want you to know that the California Legislature has your back.”

Sivan, a Weinstein accuser, then addressed the crowd again.

“This is 2017, the time is ripe for a reckoning, for a reordering of power,” she said. “Today we’re here to tell you that you will no longer keep us quiet, you will no longer label us gold-diggers or psychos. That ends now, because we want our daughters and sons to go to a workplace where they will never have to take a meeting with a dude in a bathrobe.”

The crowd later marched back toward Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue, walking past Spacey’s star on the Walk of Fame. Some pointed out other notables.

“This is a perfect place to hold this rally,” one demonstrator said, gesturing toward Trump’s star.

Demonstrator and lead organizer Brenda Gutierrez said she was heartbroken when she first saw her social media feeds fill up with survivors of sexual assault sharing their stories alongside the hashtag #MeToo.

So she, along with other survivors of sexual assault, decided to take the social media movement — which was spurred by allegations of sexual assault by powerful men in Hollywood — to the streets with a survivors march.

“I guess as survivors we’re used to keeping it to ourselves, not knowing who to turn to,” Gutierrez said. “It makes me want to cry just seeing everyone here. Growing up, I thought I was alone. I’m looking at the audience and I realize I’m not alone.”

“We will get through this together,” she said, “and we will make a change.”

brittny.mejia@latimes.com

Los Angeles Times staff writer Ruben Vives contributed to this report.
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: #MeToo news

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:59 am

O’Reilly filed a $5 million defamation lawsuit against Panter after the latter posted a claim on Facebook Panter’s ex-girlfriend – a former employee of Fox News Channel – had once settled a harassment case with O’Reilly.

In a statement released today by Bloom, the attorney wrote, “Michael Panter made the brave decision to stand with women speaking out against sexual harassment, and we stand with him. I look forward to aggressively litigating this case and to taking Mr. O’Reilly’s deposition.” (See her tweeted statement below.)

On The View, she called the case a “David and Goliath” situation in which the deep-pocketed O’Reilly figured Panter would simply cave.
http://deadline.com/2017/11/lisa-bloom- ... 202205948/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Heaven Swan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 am

Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 am

Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 am

Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 am

Any astrology buffs out there? This is beyond fascinating.

https://dkbrainard.com/blog/astrology-m ... ic-center/

Astrology of #Me Too: Black Moon Lilith & the Galactic Center
Sex, Lies and Story: Harvey Weinstein and the #MeToo Phenomenon
October 20, 2017

If you’ve heard me talking about Black Moon Lilith and have been wondering who she is and what she means, look no further. The amazing outpouring of women’s stories on social media following the news about Harvey Weinstein’s sexual misconduct paint an amazing portrait of Black Moon Lilith in conjunction with the Galactic Center.

Black Moon Lilith & the Healing Power of Anger

Black Moon Lilith (BML) is the astrological archetype that symbolizes the healthy anger that is the appropriate response to abuse of women, and of the feminine principle in life.

When Black Moon Lilith activates a natal planet, especially by conjunction, she creates an intense internal pressure to recognize and express the anger we should have been able to feel and express at times when we were violated by others who were bigger, stronger, more powerful, or simply had the weight of authority on their side.

We all have a feminine side and a masculine side – and every child in our society suffers repeated violations of his or her boundaries – so BML is relevant to all of us, not just women. (The rape of the Earth for profit, or the genocide of Native Americans here in North America. are prime examples of how patriarchal dominator-style aggression affects people of all genders.)

When transiting Black Moon Lilith triggers an important point in our charts, she creates an intense, almost unbearable internal pressure. This psychic turmoil is designed to do two things:

Force us to recognize and confront the feelings we stuffed into the unconscious because it was not safe to express them at the time the abuse occurred;
Get mad and get healthy!

Lilith transits can be exceedingly uncomfortable – until we allow ourselves to feel the righteous anger we should have been able to feel in those moments when we our boundaries were violated and we were penetrated by another person’s energy.

Lilith teaches us that anger is a healthy emotion when used correctly. By forcing us to a point at which we can no longer suppress our anger, Lilith rejuvenates us. Anger is the emotion that enables us to set and maintain healthy boundaries, as Karla McLaren teaches us in The Language of Emotions.

Lilith connects us to the anger that we’ve been forced to hide – often from ourselves as well as from society. As that anger rises up within us we are empowered to create healthy boundaries and motivated to take action in the direction of our dreams. (Anger is tremendously energizing if handled consciously.)

Timeline

Thursday, October 5 – Weinstein story breaks

The initial New York Times story alleging a repeated pattern of sexual assaults on actresses by movie mogul Harvey Weinstein broke on Thursday, October 5. This was the day of the Aries Full Moon, and also the date of the exact conjunction of Mars and Venus – an event that happens once every two years. How fascinating that this particular conjunction of the archetypal male and archetypal female happened in Virgo, the sign that wants to restore health and order to the world.

This was also the day when the ongoing trine between fellow freedom-engendering radicals Black Moon Lilith and Uranus entered the zone of maximum intensity – and when Uranus made an exact trine to the Galactic Center. (Read my post Unraveling the Dark Matrix: Venus, Saturn & the Galactic Center) .

Uranus is the Enlightener, the archetype that shakes up the status quo in order to set us free. On Oct. 5, Lilith and Uranus moved to within one degree of an exact trine: Lilith moved to 26 Sagittarius 06 and Uranus, in retrograde motion, moved to 27 Aries 05.

The degree symbol for Lilith’s position on Oct. 5, from John Sandbach’s degree symbols:

Sagittarius 27.¹ In the night, a man uncovers himself to feel the cool air. (Omega Symbol) Transforming/Sensitive

(Degree Angel: Hahasiah (he-HA-see-Yah) No Guilt, Universal Medicine)

When we let go of fear we allow ourselves to be vulnerable and are then able to connect with a greater reality. […] This degree wants to explore the separations and differences between people as a means of promoting understanding. It is trying to overcome the human tendency to deny those parts of the self that one is afraid of and/or which one cannot find a way to integrate into one’s conscious being – trying to find out what it is hiding from itself. To do this requires the self-exposure inherent in the Omega Symbol.²

Wednesday, October 11 – Uranus/Black Moon Lilith exact trine

Uranus is now in 27 Aries and BML still in 27 Sagittarius. Sandbach’s degree symbol for 27 Aries, where Uranus will be at the Libra New Moon (and through Halloween):

Aries 27. Over a waterfall gleams a rainbow many thousands of years old.

The Chandra Symbol for this degree is “A fun house.” The shocks and surprises inside the fun house can trigger the liberation of blocked energies, helping us to release fear and pent-up tension, leading, eventually to the clarity of the rainbow, which, when we realize it, we see is our timeless self that was ever-present behind all outer illusions.

Sunday, October 15 – Alyssa Milano tweet and social media explosion

alyssa milano #MeToo tweetAlyssa Milano tweets inviting people to reply ‘me too’.

Within 24 hours, according to this great New York Times piece, the ‘me too’ had appeared 12 million times on Facebook alone.

Uranus and Lilith are still within half a degree of exact trine. Lilith is now in 28 Sagittarius, where she will remain through the Libra New Moon. From John Sandbach:

Sagittarius 28. A man channeling new music from deceased composers. (Omega Symbol) Transforming/Receptive

(Degree Angel: Imamiah (ee-MA-mee-Yah) Passion, Expiation of Errors)

The Chandra Symbol for this degree is “A witch’s ritual dagger.” The ritual dagger is a weapon whose purpose is to cut away negative thoughts…which limit one in unnecessary ways. It may also be used to sever oppressive connections and clear the aura. When such ties are cut we are free to experience the open and limitless quality of the universe – that allows, for instance, the man of the Omega Symbol to channel the new music.
Thursday, October 19 – Libra New moon

Yesterday’s New Moon fell at 26 Libra 35 in almost exact opposition to Uranus at 26 Aries 31. This is an uncommonly close aspect to happen at a New Moon. Note also that:

The Sun and Moon in Libra are still within half a degree of an exact sextile (the ‘communicating’ aspect) to the Galactic Center;
Uranus in Aries is still half a degree from an exact trine to the Galactic Center;
Black Moon Lilith is still in the same degree as the Galactic Center.

We could interpret this as a sudden, shocking burst (Uranus) of anger, fierceness, boldness (Aries) informing the end of an old pattern of relationship (Libra) and the inception of new patterns (New Moon) based on Universal Truth (Galactic Center).

Libra 27. A painting that will not dry. (Omega Symbol) Transforming/Sensitive

Nothing is set in stone here – everything can be changed. This degree is refreshingly open and can help others to make changes they may have never thought themselves capable of making.

The Chandra Symbol for this degree is “A black leopard beneath a full moon.” This degree has an intense awareness of its own emotional needs, and is determined to get them fulfilled. This only becomes negative when the needs it is aware of are not the true, life-sustaining ones, but rather those that fulfill a dysfunctional agenda.

There is a great awareness here of selfishness, both one’s own as well as the selfishness of others. How much better to be aware of this than to deny or repress those impulses!

What Story Will We Write?

The cosmic timing of this outpouring of story is remarkable. Even if it appears that nothing changes as a result, we know that the world must change, simply because the stories are being told.

The unwritten rules of the collective story instruct women to keep quiet about rape, abuse, molestation and other sexual misconduct. Shamed into silence. Shame is the glue that keeps us stuck in the collective parasitical story of our unworthiness and powerlessness.

But shame loses its power when we are able to speak freely of the shaming event.

The fact that this many people are acknowledging the toxic shame they have internalized, either in the role of victim or in the role of perpetrator must, by cosmic law, create massive changes in society. Just because we don’t see them manifest tomorrow or next month doesn’t mean they haven’t already happened on the energetic level.

So, how else are we going to rewrite the story of the world in this powerful moment?

Notes

1 – Counting zodiac degrees brings up the difference between cardinal numbers (how many?) and ordinal numbers (which position in a list?). See this page for a quick, visual explanation of the difference.

Q: Lilith is at 26 degrees and 05 arc minutes, so why are you citing the symbol for 27 Sagittarius?

A: “27 Sagittarius” is shorthand for the ordinal number “27th degree of Sagittarius” which contains all values from 26 Sag 00 to 26 Sag 59. Think of it in terms of birthdays: Your first birthday (when you “turn one”) is not actually your first birth-day. That would be the day you were born. Your first birthday is the first commemoration of your nativity, as well as the start of your second year of life.

So, when you are anywhere from one minute old to 364 days, 23 hours , and 59 minutes old, we say you are in the 1st year of life. Your second year of life would end at your second birthday, and so forth. Jump back

2 – All bold print added by me. The citations are excerpts from Sandbach’s full descriptions. Jump back
Heaven Swan

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am

thanks for that.....yes beyond fascinating.. I wish someone was doing an astrology for legalization of marijuana :)
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Heaven Swan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am

Transwoman who heckled Rose McGowan is a ‘known sexual predator’ claim women
February 2, 2018

https://gendertrender.wordpress.com/201 ... aim-women/
SEE Comments on original post for more details)

Andi Dier (facebook)

A male audience member who self-identifies as a ‘transgender woman’ disrupted a New York booksigning by the #MeToo movement’s Rose McGowan on Wednesday night.

See the footage here:

And here: (longer version)

The event was to promote McGowan’s new memoir ‘Brave’. McGowan is best known for exposing the crimes of serial sexual predator Harvey Weinstein.

Now the transwoman involved, identified as Andi Dier of Long Island, NY, is being accused of serial sexual assault by multiple women who claim Dier sexually assaulted them when they were teens.

One of the women posted a message to Rose McGowan today:

https://gendertrender.wordpress.com/201 ... aim-women/
91 comments

Heaven Swan

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:04 pm

http://quillette.com/2018/01/31/nobodys ... ha-geimer/

Nobody’s Victim: An Interview with Samantha Geimer

On the 9th of January, I noticed the French journalist Anne-Elizabeth Moutet report on Facebook that the open letter she had co-signed protesting the excesses of the #MeToo movement had received endorsement from an unexpected source. Samantha Geimer was the girl raped by Roman Polanski when she was 13 years old, and her experience is frequently cited by #MeToo activists and supporters as evidence of Hollywood’s moral turpitude and hypocrisy.

Browsing Geimer’s Twitter timeline, I discovered that she is also one of a minority of voices expressing scepticism about the resurrection of child abuse allegations made by the Farrow family against Woody Allen. Intrigued, I read Geimer’s memoir The Girl: Life in the Shadow of Roman Polanski. Her book is thoughtful, frank, refreshingly matter-of-fact, and offers a counter-narrative that sits uneasily with the use activists and journalists have routinely made of her story. I got in touch with Geimer through a mutual friend, and she kindly agreed to an interview with me to discuss her book, the Polanski case, #MeToo, Woody Allen, and the ongoing controversies surrounding all four.

The exchange below had already been completed when Hadley Freeman’s essay about the Polanski rape case appeared in the Guardian on Tuesday morning. Freeman concludes her article by reporting on her failure to secure disavowals of Polanski from celebrities who signed a 2009 petition in his support after he was arrested in Switzerland. Freeman makes no mention of Geimer’s memoir, nor does she include a comment from Geimer herself. This omission isn’t being noticed by those sharing the article on Twitter.

So I followed up with Geimer, and asked her what she made of Freeman’s essay. Those brief remarks are at the front of the interview. The rest of our exchange then proceeds sequentially and unamended. It is rather long, but I encourage those who enjoyed Hadley Freeman’s article to read this interview too. It offers an invaluable perspective on the events Freeman describes.

Quillette: On 30 January, the Guardian published a long article by Hadley Freeman about the Polanski case. Although your Grand Jury testimony is quoted, you are not. Did Freeman approach you for comment?

Samantha Geimer: No she did not.

Q: The article has been widely circulated and praised. After you tweeted a response to it, you and Freeman had quite a fraught Twitter exchange. Can you summarise your problems with her article?

SG: She cherry-picked facts to suit her own opinions and her depiction of my rape is a pornographic mischaracterization. A word on the testimony. I was a terrified 14-year-old [Geimer, then Gailey, turned 14 a couple of weeks after the rape occurred] alone on the stand in front of more than 20 people. I was there to prove two things: that the sex had occurred and that I did not want it. I never told Polanski to “keep away” during the rape and I was not crying. If Freeman wanted an accurate account of what occurred offered outside of the pressurized environment of the legal proceedings, she could have picked up my book. But where is the sensation in that? Reports in which strangers talk about my anus are their own kind of violation. As for the latecomers, not one of them stood up for me in 1977. I owe them nothing today. I did not get justice, but they expect that I owe them something? No.

Q: Let’s begin by discussing your 2013 memoir, The Girl: Life in the Shadow of Roman Polanski. Until its publication, you had been reluctant to speak about the case even after your identity became public. Why did you finally decide to speak up?

SG: After my identity became widely known, I didn’t mind talking about it. But what I said never made a dent in the false narrative that already existed. It was very frustrating. After Polanski’s surprise arrest in 2009 and the mayhem that caused in my life, I wrote the book to put the truth of my experience (all 35 years of it) down on paper once and for all. I thought that instead of answering the same questions over and over again and hearing the same false ‘facts,’ my story would be there for anyone who wanted to know the truth. It turned out to be much more cathartic for myself and my mother than I expected so I am very glad I wrote it.

Q: One of the most striking things about your account of the rape, the legal proceedings, and the media frenzy that followed is your measured tone. This provides some room to think away from the feverish pitch of the media commentary. Did you make a conscious decision to adopt this approach?

SG: I think that may be part of my personality. But also it was a survival instinct to protect myself against all the wild allegations and what felt like hysteria around me. It is just the way I experience dealing with all of it: putting it into perspective and working out what was happening, sorting through it in my mind, and moving past it each day.

Q: The sections of the book that do betray impatience are those dealing with the uninformed judgments made by commentators. You hold those eager to defend Polanski and those eager to denounce him equally responsible: “It seemed the entire world was telling me I was either [Polanski’s] little slut or his pathetic victim. I was neither. Why did everyone want me to be one or the other?” What do you think accounts for this apparent aversion to complexity?

SG: I am not impressed by ill-informed bandwagon activism or journalists more interested in sensation than facts. When it is your life and people are telling lies about it, putting words in your mouth or re-dramatizing a tendentious version of events from which they can benefit, it is maddening. I know what happened, and I know how I feel. I will not silently let my life be distorted and used by strangers, whatever their intention, knowing full well that they care nothing for me. The use of a victim or the accused as fodder for profit or prurience by those who have the nerve to pretend they are doing a public service is hypocritical and immoral.

Q: In early January, the science writer Rolf Degen tweeted a 2004 paper by George Bonnano [above] arguing that human resilience is much more common than we think and that we routinely underestimate our capacity to recover from bereavement and trauma. In your book you write that recovery and resilience were implicitly discouraged: “Almost immediately, from the start of this case, I felt the pressure to be damaged.” Your refusal to behave in the manner expected of a traumatised victim has provoked particular anger from some of those who claim to speak for victims of sexual assault. The Oprah Winfrey Network’s Dr. Phil has diagnosed you with “victim’s guilt” and you recently wrote that you’ve been called a Stockholm Syndrome sufferer and even a rape apologist. What do you think explains this kind of hostility and condescension from those ostensibly dedicated to supporting people like you?

SG: It’s extremely frustrating. Why do strangers want to project their own dysfunction onto others? When I told my mother I was okay she never questioned it. My family accepted that easily, but that did not absolve Polanski. My mother showed me that I did not have to accept being used that way and it was worth a struggle to prove that, no matter what the cost to our family. So why do others insist I must suffer, and that if I do not display the correct amount of agony and shame, that there must be something wrong with me? I don’t have to be injured to prove what Roman did was wrong. His intent was certainly not to injure or frighten me. People don’t like facts that don’t fit with their preconceptions. When you see how ugly and spiteful some of these people have been to me it shows that they really don’t care about my welfare at all. So then what is the point?

Q: “Polanski’s intent was certainly not to injure or frighten me.” You make a similar point in your book: “As wrong as he was to do what he did, I know beyond a doubt that he didn’t look at me as one of his victims. Not everyone will understand this, but I never thought he wanted to hurt me; he wanted me to enjoy it. He was arrogant and horny. But I feel certain he was not looking to take pleasure in my pain.” This consideration of motives and intentions is something I rarely see mentioned in public discussions of this kind of crime. In your own case, why do you think it matters?

SG: I think intention is relevant to understanding any situation. It is part of the whole picture and should not be dismissed without consideration. In my particular case, I understood rape to be when someone intended you harm, was mean to you, wanted to hurt or humiliate you or disregarded your feelings. It was clear to me that Polanski wanted to have sex and he wanted me to participate willingly and to enjoy it. That may not matter to some people, but it certainly mattered to me. I knew what was happening was somehow wrong, but he was not rough or demanding or cruel. I was 13 years old. I said “no.” That makes it rape. I do not see the value in exaggerating the experience to prove that.

Q: Reading your book, it occurred to me that there’s an odd paradox involved in a lot of sexual assault activism. Emphasising the trauma and shame inflicted by rape helps to incentivise swingeing punishments and reinforce the taboo associated with sex crimes. But this has had the unintended effect of disincentivising resilience, and creating a perverse interest in encouraging victims to feel ashamed and traumatised. If some rape victims recover and thrive, activists might worry that rape will no longer be regarded as such a terrible crime. Is there a way to understand and talk about rape and sexual assault that avoids this trap?

SG: We need to eliminate the type of ‘activism’ that requires damaged victims to operate. A kind of activism that glamourizes pain and shuns recovery and strength offers no positive way to recover and move forward. When people are not encouraged to recover and are treated as if only expressing your pain and suffering to the world will help others, they ought to know that they are being fed a lie. It is absurd to require women to maintain permanent damage of some sort in order to convince themselves or others that rape is wrong. Rape is wrong. The only person to blame is the one who commits the crime, period. But it is the only crime in which victims are discouraged from being okay. If you are beaten up or your house gets robbed, that can also be traumatic, but at least no-one says you must never get over this or you will insult other victims. I think it is sexist and a way of reinforcing negative sexual stereotypes about women and sex.

Q: Polanski’s name is now being mentioned in connection with the #MeToo movement, usually by the movement’s supporters. But his name also cropped up in the controversial open letter signed by 100 French women criticizing the campaign. Reactions to the letter have generally split between those who understood what the letter was getting at even if they didn’t agree with every dot and comma, and those who found it outrageous and incomprehensible. On Twitter, you gave the letter your unequivocal endorsement. What was it about the letter that struck a chord with you?

SG: I was a co-signatory to the open letter. I was asked to explain why I had endorsed it and I posted an article on my blog explaining my reasons. Anyone interested can find it here.

Q: What do you think about the way the #MeToo movement has developed?

SG: I don’t believe the use of #MeToo as weapon is a positive development. I am disappointed to see it used to attack people instead of being used to bring people together in solidarity. If it is going to end up being used as a means to shame celebrities and politicians we dislike, we will be doing a disservice to all those women who suffer in the shadows. I am happy to see #TimesUp emerge, which seeks to change the world moving forward, which demands equality for women, and which does not try to glamourize weakness and victimhood. I want the freedoms my mother fought for: economic, sexual, reproductive, all of it. We do not need to be protected from ourselves. It is our survival of the past we should glamourize, not the pain it has caused.

Q: A recurrent and growing criticism of the #MeToo movement has been its more strident advocates’ reluctance to acknowledge the messiness of many human sexual interactions. The recent Aziz Ansari controversy divided the movement’s supporters over the difference between persistence and coercion and how we should understand consent and personal responsibility. The account you give of your own rape in the book is quite searching on this point. You were only 13 and Polanski knew this. Nevertheless, you insist on taking responsibility for your own choices. Why do you think this is important?

SG: The Aziz Ansari story concerned an anonymous, one sided account of what an adult felt had been gross or inappropriate sexual behaviour by a celebrity. To name that celebrity but not yourself is cowardly, and the journalist who wrote it is an opportunist. Why are women so astute at judging when a man has used them sexually, but apparently oblivious to how those in the media use them that is, in its own way, just as wrong?

To your other point, responsibility is not the same as blame. I will be responsible for my own actions. To insist that I cannot be is a way of diminishing me. I will not be told that my actions – good or bad – cannot be attributed to me. It is a way of reducing women to something less than men. It is sexist, it is dangerous, and I think we should fight those who tell women they have no agency or power. There are those who would take back every right and liberty we have won by arguing that ladies can’t be expected to handle the world. To accept that your actions are caused by others around you is to accept that you are powerless and I won’t do that. I was 13, and what Roman Polanski did to me was a crime. Should I have told my mother about the topless photos [during the first photo shoot]? Yes. Would it have prevented the subsequent crime? Also yes. I don’t feel guilt about making mistakes, but to insist that I am incapable of comprehending them or learning from them is insulting.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 am

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... an-1083173

Jill Messick's Family Issues Blistering Statement on Harvey Weinstein and Rose McGowan

Veteran studio executive and producer Jill Messick died by suicide on Wednesday after battling depression for many years, her family tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Messick, who worked at Miramax as a production executive from 1997 to 2003, also served as Rose McGowan's manager in January 1997, which is when, McGowan has claimed, she was raped by Harvey Weinstein.

In a statement following her death, her family says Messick was "victimized" after becoming embroiled in the Weinstein-McGowan allegations. Her name made headlines when Weinstein's attorney, Ben Brafman, released an email on Jan. 30 attributed to Messick in defense of his client. Her family says now that Messick "became collateral damage in an already horrific story."

Messick's family's full Feb. 8 statement is below.

"The Movement" just lost one of its own.

Jill Messick was a mother of two children, a loving wife and partner, a dear friend to many and a smart entertainment executive. She was also a survivor, privately battling depression, which had been her nemesis for years.

Today she did not survive. Jill took her own life.

Jill was victimized by our new culture of unlimited information sharing and a willingness to accept statement as fact. The speed of disseminating information has carried mistruths about Jill as a person, which she was unable and unwilling to challenge. She became collateral damage in an already horrific story.

Jill believed in the Movement. She supported every woman finally coming forward to share their dark truths and expose those who had committed previously unspeakable deeds. She was loyal. She was strong. Jill was many things, but she was not a liar.

Over the past few months, many women have come out with allegations against Harvey Weinstein, including Rose McGowan, who has repeatedly spoken with the press, striking out against not only her alleged attacker, but a great many others. One of them was Jill, who chose to remain silent in the face of Rose's slanderous statements against her for fear of undermining the many individuals who came forward in truth. She opted not to add to the feeding frenzy, allowing her name and her reputation to be sullied despite having done nothing wrong. She never chose to be a public figure; that choice was taken away from her.

Now that Jill can no longer speak for herself, it's time to set the record straight.

In January 1997, Jill was an entry-level manager at Addis Wechsler. One of her first clients was Rose McGowan, and one of Jill's first duties was to set up a breakfast meeting with Harvey Weinstein during the Sundance Film Festival. Following the meeting, Rose told Jill what had happened — that she made the decision to remove her clothes and get in the hot tub with him — a mistake which Rose immediately regretted. Rose never once used the word rape in that conversation. Despite this, Jill recognized that Harvey had done something untoward to Rose, if not illegal. She immediately went to her bosses, the partners of Addis Wechsler, to recount Rose's story and to insist that they immediately address the situation. They told Jill that they would handle the situation. The ensuing arrangements between Rose and Harvey were then negotiated, completely without Jill's knowledge. At that time, all Jill knew was that the matter was settled and that Rose continued making films with the Weinsteins. She never knew any details until recently, when Rose elected to make them public.

Ten months later, in November of 1997, Jill received a call from the Miramax exec VP of production, recruiting her for a job as an executive at Miramax Films working in production in Los Angeles. Jill was hired based on merit and her excellent work of over two years as a young development executive working with Woods Entertainment (prior to her time at Addis Wechsler).

Rose's most recent round of press to promote her book has included new stories involving Jill. The constant press attention Rose has garnered in print and on national TV led to Harvey Weinstein releasing two documents. One of these was an email that Jill wrote to him months prior to the first New York Times piece coming out, and at his request. In this email, Jill offered the truth based on what she remembers Rose telling her about the Sundance account. In the face of Rose's continued and embellished accusations last week, Harvey took it upon himself to release the email without her consent.

Five years ago, Jill suffered a manic episode. Anyone familiar with bipolar disorder knows that it is a cruel and vicious disease. With the help of doctors, her family and friends, Jill rebounded. Jill had fought to put her life back together. After a long job search, she was in negotiations to run the production division for a new entertainment company.

Seeing her name in headlines again and again, as part of one person's attempt to gain more attention for her personal cause, along with Harvey's desperate attempt to vindicate himself, was devastating for her. It broke Jill, who was just starting to get her life back on track. What makes Rose's inaccurate accusations and insinuations against Jill ironic was that she was the first person who stood up on Rose's behalf, and alerted her bosses to the horrific experience which Rose suffered. Twenty years ago, as a very junior person in a management company hierarchy, Jill exhibited her integrity in doing the right thing — she raised the red flag with the heads of her firm. In the face of inappropriate behavior, Jill handled the situation appropriately.

Hers is one of the only stories that has stayed consistent over time as we watch other media reported tales morph to beget further attention.

While journalists serve an important role in exposing predatory behavior, we are seeing irresponsible choices and an addiction to sensationalism which leads to inconsistent storytelling. The media is a powerful tool not to be taken lightly. Most individuals would be horrified to have their name spotlighted in a major international news story — let alone their photograph. We cannot forget that the media is a fearsome tool which cannot be used indiscriminately or even inadvertently to create further victims.

There is a responsibility when using a platform to accurately expose criminals, predators, mistruths and misdeeds while protecting the actual truth of third parties.

As we collectively seek to take action in an effort to right the wrongs so brazenly and inhumanely repeated for a generation, we must not forget one simple truth: Words have power. While we illuminate the dark corners for hidden truths, we must remember that what we say, particularly in the media, can have just as much impact if not more than our actions. We must ask more of ourselves, and of each other. We must take a moment to consider the ramifications and consequences of what we say and what we do.

Words matter.

Someone's life may depend on it.

Belligerent Savant

Postby Heaven Swan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 pm

https://aroomofourown.wordpress.com/

Know This:

February 9, 2018

When you are complicit with males hurting females, you may suffer the consequences just as the males may suffer the consequences when/if it all comes out.

Actually, seeing that this world is hell-bent on being misogynistic, your punishment for being complicit and female may actually be more severe than the punishment of the male perpetrator.

So remember that when you side with males for your individual survival or advancement.

And, it will be both males and females who will punish you for your complicity.

If you think you can escape this comeuppance, your arrogance (or perhaps ignorance) will eventually show you differently.

I’m punished all the time. Have been my whole life, and I’ve been insanely unambitious in my pursuits.

Thoughts from reading this.> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 2d127cbdaa
Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 am

Steve Bannon’s predictions on the future of patriarchy

Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am

The circular rehiring of offenders is something I’ve noticed in my industry as well, and not only wrt sexual misconduct. I’ve been baffled by how managers caught stealing would be rehired by a parallel company... until I started complaining and encountered 1) CEOs that flaunted corrupt practices to my face 2) state and goverment “oversight” people who made jokes about said corruption and just sat in their offices collecting their paychecks, refusing to go out in the field and do their jobs, or when finally pushed to do something were half-hearted, inept and dropped the ball before accomplishing anything.

And it’s not only men. I encountered several women in managment positions who were maintaining their place in the food chain by engaging in the corrupt (and illegal) business practices. In my industry though, the exploited and targeted victims were all, or almost all, female.

These are some of the inner workings of how this country and perhaps the world is drowning in corruption. Offenders are tolerated or rewarded instead of punished and this encourages more corruption and abuse. #me too has put on protective boots and has begun to wade into the disgusting swamp of sexism, materialism without morals and abuse of power we’ve been living and working in for so long.

This is just the beginning!

Oxfam sex scandal: Aid worker sacked in Oxfam scandal rehired weeks later

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sham ... -32qsww303

One of the men sacked by Oxfam in the Haiti scandal was re-hired by the charity two months later to work on another relief operation.

The man, believed to be an Indian, was accused of using prostitutes during the charity’s investigation in Haiti but according to the Oxfam internal report on the case was “dismissed with immediate effect for gross misconduct for bullying and intimidation of staff” in August 2011.

In October that year he was again employed by Oxfam to work on a three-month contract as a consultant in Ethiopia.

Oxfam said that hiring the man “even in an emergency as a short-term consultant, was a serious error and should never have happened”.

A statement from the charity added: “We are still checking how this occurred but it further highlights that we need an organisation and sector-wide approach to the vetting and recruitment of both staff and consultants, especially in emergencies where there is pressure to fill posts quickly in order to help save lives. We are now checking whether there were any issues in Ethiopia while he was there.”

The disclosure of another vetting failure came as the former aid chief at the centre of the Haiti scandal spoke out for the first time since it was exposed and said that the revelations were “hard to bear”.

Roland van Hauwermeiren, 68, who resigned from Oxfam in Haiti in 2011 after admitting using prostitutes at the villa rented for him by the charity, is living in a Belgian coastal town. “I do not feel like reacting at all,” he told Het Nieuwsblad, a Belgian newspaper. “What I see appearing everywhere is hard to bear. It hurts. It is especially very bad that my family does not want to see me anymore.”

He added: “I know that a lot of people — including the international media — will feel ashamed when they hear my version of the facts. Not that I deny everything. Certainly not. There are things that are correctly described. But I also read a lot of lies and exaggerations. Party every week? Chic villas? Women paid with money from the organisation?”

Video has emerged of him when he was Oxfam country director in Chad. It shows him talking about the charity’s work to the actress Mia Farrow. The footage was part of a PBS documentary on the humanitarian relief operation in the area.

Mr Van Hauwermeiren is a former Belgian army officer whose aid career began when he was seconded to the NGO Caritas International in 1995. About 2002 he became country manager for the British charity Merlin, now part of Save The Children, in Liberia. But he left after a number of colleagues complained of mismanagement and sexual misconduct.

He joined Oxfam in 2006 and worked as country director in Chad, where concerns also arose about sexual misbehaviour, the Democratic Republic of Congo and then Haiti, where he took charge of the charity’s relief operation after the 2010 earthquake.

During an investigation into serious sexual misconduct in Haiti, Mr Van Hauwermeiren admitted using prostitutes. Six other men were sacked or forced to resign over allegations including sexual misconduct, downloading pornography, bullying and intimidation.

Oxfam covered up the scandal until it was exposed by The Times last week. The misconduct concerning Mr Van Hauwermeiren was separate from the claims against the other men, which centred on reports of “sex parties” at a guesthouse known as the “pink apartments”.

Despite his disgrace in Haiti, Mr Van Hauwermeiren became head of mission for the French charity Action Against Hunger in Bangladesh in 2012-14. He returned to Belgium but is understood to have separated from his wife in 2015 and to be estranged from his two children, a son and daughter.

The fallout from the scandal has had huge repercussions for Oxfam and the wider aid sector. Oxfam is facing a statutory inquiry by the Charity Commission and its deputy chief executive, Penny Lawrence, who was responsible for the mission in Haiti in 2011, has resigned. Mark Goldring, the chief executive, faces growing demands for him to step down.

Penny Mordaunt, the international development secretary, has written to all charities in receipt of British government funds warning them that money will be withdrawn unless they can demonstrate that they have and enforce strict safeguarding policies.
Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 am

It's too late to repair the broken video link in the post about Steve Bannon so I'll repost the info here:

Steve Bannon Predicts “The Anti-Patriarchy Movement Will Undo 10,000 Years Of Recorded History”

https://thetrumpimpeachment.com/steve-b ... d-history/

‘”It’s a Cromwell moment! Bannon is quoted as nearly shouting, referring to the 17th century political leader often characterized as a fanatical dictator. ‘It’s even more powerful than populism. It’s deeper. It’s primal. It’s elemental. The long black dresses and all that — this is the Puritans! It’s anti-patriarchy,”’ declaims Steve Bannon in an updated paperback edition of “Devil’s Bargain” set to be released Tuesday. Author Josh Green watched the Golden Globes Awards with Bannon last month. CNN Money:

But Bannon went further than that, declaring, “The anti-patriarchy movement is going to undo ten thousand years of recorded history.”

Bannon, Green wrote, watched Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as he was watching Oprah Winfrey on stage delivering a politically-charged speech.

“He’s ruined his career,” Bannon said, according to Green. “If you rolled out a guillotine, they’d chop off every set of balls in the room.”

“You watch. The time has come. Women are gonna take charge of society,” Bannon said, according to Green. “And they couldn’t juxtapose a better villain than Trump. He is the patriarch. This” — the Golden Globe Awards — “is a definitional moment in the culture. It’ll never be the same going forward.”

Maybe Bannon is right. It’s for certain that Trump’s comments on Rob Porter echoed his sentiments on Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly. He sympathized with the male aggressor and never with the female victim; unless the subject was Al Franken or John Conyers, that was different. The New Yorker:

Kellyanne Conway, whose defenses of Trump’s most preposterous statements are sometimes so tortured that they become the stuff of late-night satire, could not bear to back the President on this one. She told CNN that she saw “no reason not to believe” Porter’s former spouses. “In this case, you have contemporaneous police reports, you have women speaking to the FBI under threat of perjury,” Conway said. “You have photographs, and when you look at all of that pulled together, Rob Porter did the right thing by resigning.” This was hardly a condemnation, but, in the context of this White House and these times, she showed, if fleetingly, common sense.

Trump’s cruel and clueless remarks are of a piece with the tactics he has used to tamp down all his other scandals, miscues, and embarrassments. Just as he tries to divert attention from his, and his circle’s, errors and wrongdoing in the Russia scandal by shouting “fake news,” by casting blame on the F.B.I. and the Justice Department, and by deploying a congressional lackey like Devin Nunes, he diverts attention from his own encyclopedic record of miserable behavior toward women by casting doubt on the accusers. This is a neat trick, yet hardly original. It has come to the point when even Trump’s closest aides know that a reckoning is coming. It’s not going to be O.K.
Heaven Swan

Postby elfismiles » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm

#MeTooLollipopGuild

Claims that Wizard of Oz munchkins molested Judy Garland deserve a response
By Gary Nunn, Updated yesterday at 9:11pm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04/w ... in/9610256

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSiyaqnZYs

Judy Garland previously claimed the munchkins were "drunks" who partied all night.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to General Discussion