NPR Watch

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

NPR Watch

Postby Elvis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:29 pm

In the U.S., NPR (National Public Radio)—aka "National Petroleum Radio" for its corporate-friendly coverage, or, as a friend calls it, "Not Particularly Relevant," for its abundance of 'shows about shows', celebrity interviews and an endless supply of stories about what it was like for someone to have cancer—is a main source of news for probably a majority of Democrats and "liberal intellectuals."

NPR is nominally "liberal" (which is increasingly hard to define), and it's true they don't hide their typically liberal kneejerk reactions to subjects like "guns" and Trump etc. But if NPR is so "liberal," in their news programs why do they constantly solicit the views of fascist corporate mouthpieces like the National Endowment for Democracy and the American Enterprise Institute (there are others but these are the go-to "experts" regularly put on the air)? There is rarely an effective counterpart from the left or any real contrary voice at all. If a host does happen to ask a challenging question (they have to say something after all), the experts easily "tut-tut" them into submission.

How do I know all this? I listen to NPR a lot. I won't give them money, but most of the time NPR is okay. Until, that is, they report about Venezuela, or Syria, or terrorism, or banking issues—in other words, the important stuff. For example, this morning Scott Simon told us that babies were starving to death in the streets of Venezuela because of President Maduro, who was still clinging to power. I needn't go into why all of that is horseshit propaganda (whether or not Simon knows it), but that's why NPR needs to closely watched.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPR Watch

Postby overcoming hope » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:14 pm

I was listening to NPR a little while ago and they really love war and would like to start more wars asap. If you can get past the calm tone of voice and gentle language and listen to the substance you realize that the folks at NPR are a violent bunch.
overcoming hope

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:15 pm

I had literally just gotten done reading this and thought for sure you had too, Elvis.

How To Create NPR Propaganda: As Seen In A Hit Piece Against Me

12/20/17
By Lee Camp

I never thought I’d be the target of an NPR attack piece. Through my twenties I even looked to NPR as an outlet full of good, progressive, thoughtful reporting – You know, the soothing voices occasionally interrupted by music no one really listens to but that sounds good between soft-spoken ivy league journalists over the age of 50. Everything about NPR subtly reinforced the idea, “Everything is fine. You’re probably a middle to upper class white person or you hope to be one day, and that’s just great. Everything is fine.” They might not SAY that, but they say that. And for a long time, I was cool with that message.

Then I woke up. About the time NPR was avoiding Occupy Wall Street – or when they did cover it, acting like those of us who supported it were brainless hippies without a point or at least none that would fit easily into the lives of suburbanites with two kids, one cat, and a robust retirement account. In hindsight I should’ve woken up sooner. I should’ve seen the truth about the time most NPR shows were pushing for war in Iraq, buying into the WMD lie. Or maybe I should’ve realized the truth when Kevin Klose took over as President of NPR in 1998. Klose came straight from a nice seat as director of the US Information Agency, described as “a United States agency devoted to ‘public diplomacy’ (AKA propaganda).” So when you have one of the top government propagandists as your president, one can assume your reporting is slightly biased.

Anyway, that leads me to today. A couple days after NPR’s Weekend Edition hosted by Scott Simon did a rather awesome attack piece on me and my TV show Redacted Tonight with Lee Camp which airs on RT America. I’d like to walk you through how to write such beautiful propaganda, as I did following the NY Times smear job against me, which sounded shockingly similar (more on that later).

STEP ONE: Create a subconscious association to old Cold War Russian propaganda

Scott Simon opens his show with “Russian programming is no longer breathless proclamations about tractor production or accolades to the Kremlin. Look at a show like Redacted Tonight.” This opening sentence essentially tells the listener that everything they’re about to hear is modern Russian propaganda. Sure, he doesn’t use the word “propaganda” yet, but when you say something was ONCE accolades to the Kremlin and is now Redacted Tonight, you are priming your audience, giving them a subconscious opinion of the target before they even know what it is. This would be like saying “American programming is no longer ads where a little girl with a daisy is killed by a nuclear blast. Now it’s the Daily Show.” If you had never heard of the Daily Show, you would assume it must be a modern version of a girl obliterated by a nuclear bomb.

STEP TWO: Lie by omission

Scott Simon knows the truth, but he’s keeping it from his audience. My show is not Russian propaganda. Simon knows I’m an American in America covering American news for Americans. He does slip in that I’m American in the opening sentences, but not until the end does he reveal to his audience that I have never been told to say anything or not to say anything on RT America. And after he says that, he immediately plays a clip of me joking that my show is written by heavily bearded Russian trolls. He seems to play it as if it reveals the truth, rather than being a joke. Furthermore, assuming Simon did even an ounce of research, he knows that I’ve been doing the same type of material in my stand-up comedy act for decades – long before I was every on RT. Saying my show is Russian propaganda would be to say that all the shows on RT America are Russian propaganda including ones hosted by Larry King, Pulitzer Prize-winner Chris Hedges, Governor Jesse Ventura, Mike Papantonio, and former hosts Thom Hartmann and Abby Martin.

I’ve addressed why I do this show on RT America, and you can watch that here. But for NPR’s listeners who have never heard of me, Simon wants to essentially warn them that they are about to hear nefarious neo-propaganda put forward by dastardly Russians.

STEP THREE: Subtly let your listeners know the target is not one of us

In his second sentence Simon says, “The show is hosted and written by an American comic in black jeans with a hipster beard and long, bobbed hair, Lee Camp.” To begin with, I don’t know what a hipster beard is, but I doubt I have one. I guess Scott Simon thinks any beard is a “hipster beard.” I suppose this means Wolf Blitzer has a hipster beard too. I also don’t know what “long bobbed hair” is other than a way of saying, “He’s a fuckin’ long hair!” This description is all basically Simon’s way of letting his elitist older core audience know, “This guy is NOT one of us. He probably doesn’t even OWN a salmon-colored button-down shirt.”

STEP FOUR: Imply that curse words = enemy of the state

Simon next plays a few sentences from my show, bleeping out the word “fuck.” Then he interrupts and says, “A lot of profanity. In fact ONE profanity over and over…” So Simon’s first sentence about me was to insult my clothing and look. His first sentence about my show was to express near horror at the fact I use the word “fuck”. First of all, I take great exception to the idea I only use ONE profanity. My profanity is varied AND prolific. Name another show where you’ve recently heard Congress described as a “Steaming bucket of mangy dicks.” But again this is designed so Simon can let the nice NPR listeners know, “He’s not one of us. He uses dirty language.” Isn’t it amazing that it’s been a half century since the 1960’s and yet the insults against the “counter culture” are all the same – “He’s a long-hair hipster with a dirty mouth!” As George Carlin said, dirty words can “impact your mind, curve your spine and lose the war for the Allies!” Clearly Scott Simon didn’t get the memo that fearing dirty words is not something most of America is doing anymore. Americans are far more worried about where their next paycheck will come from or how to get healthcare for their sick child. If you look at the situation our country is in and don’t say “FUCK” to yourself, then you aren’t paying attention.

STEP FIVE: Bring in an “Expert” who clarifies how awful the target is

Next, Julia Ioffe is brought on to explain how horrible Redacted Tonight truly is and why your children should be asked to leave the room and cover their ears until the terrifying thought bombs are extinguished. NPR identifies Ioffe as simply someone who writes critically about Russia for the Atlantic and other platforms. What Simon doesn’t want his listeners to know is that Ioffe is a hardcore neocon neo-McCarthyist who spends her days spouting fake news about Russia, such as this lovely piece of fact-free reporting entitled “How Russia Hacked America.” In the credits of that piece she thanks two private intelligence firms for helping her out – Fidelis Cybersecurity and Farsight Security. Fidelis used to be owned by General Dynamics, one of the biggest weapons contractors riding the Russia hysteria to billions of dollars in profits. Julia Ioffe is not even close to an unbiased critic of my show. She’s quite the opposite – a useful idiot for the weapons industry which collects bundles of cash from the deaths of millions.

And those Russian hacking claims? I covered the reality of those claims on my show with former 27-year veteran CIA analyst Ray McGovern.

It’s very telling that while Ioffe and Scott Simon breathlessly attack dissenting voices, they choose NOT to cover how our 2016 election was ACTUALLY rigged as reported on by the nonpartisan Project Censored here, here, and here. I have also covered all of these stories extensively on my show.

Ioffe is not only a pure xenophobe, seemingly trying to angle our country towards nuclear war, but she also is – apparently – an expert on comedy! Her opening lines – “[Redacted Tonight] is very shrill. Lee Camp is very shrill. It looks like the kind of rantings I would engage in when I was an angry 15 year-old.” Apparently when Julia Ioffe was a mere teen, she was angrily spouting about how unfettered vulture capitalism destroyed Puerto Rico even before the hurricane did, or the unlimited war powers that both Democrats and Republicans voted to give Donald Trump, or perhaps the secret family making billions from our opioid crisis. I guess little Julia was once very well informed. But now, as an adult, she has changed her ways – becoming a good shill for the corporate state, toeing the pro-war propaganda line without a second thought.

STEP SIX: Shrug off or ignore any positive attributes

At one point Scott Simon talks about attending a taping of the show where the audience “laughed and cheered when prompted – but sincerely.” In the audio version the words “but sincerely” drip with disgust. This is about as close as Simon can come to admitting Redacted Tonight has very large, active, and excited fanbase of people who see through the ridiculous mainstream media and want something more, something deeper.

Another positive attribute of my show, in my opinion, is the fact that we’re left of the corporate-owned Democrats. Simon mentions that I mock both Republicans and Democrats but that’s where he leaves it. If he watched more than ten minutes, he knows that I don’t simply attack everything for the sake of mockery. I go after our ruling elite who are bought and sold by massive corporations, soulless people who seem fine with a level of inequality that surpasses even ancient Rome just before its collapse. This is the most important thing any viewer should know about my show, but NPR intentionally leaves it out. The reasoning is obvious – because it would attract a lot of viewers. And when you’re busy making new Cold War propaganda, you don’t want such stumbling blocks in your path.

STEP SEVEN: Bring in another “expert” to simply lie

Scott Simon next asks executive producer of Second City, Kelly Leonard, if Redacted Tonight is funny. Leonard response: “It is funny, but there’s a problem. ” Leonard says the real trouble is that I avoid certain subjects – such as hacking of the election. But in fact, I HAVE talked about hacking the election here, here, here, here, here, here – You get the point. I’ve talked about it FAR more than any other comedy news show Leonard can list. The problem is I don’t talk about it from the false narrative Leonard and Simon WANT me to – the narrative that calls it “hacking the election” even though no one is even accusing Russia of actually hacking voting machines, which is essentially impossible from a foreign country. (Instead voting machine rigging happens right here at home.) The accusations only have to do with hacking emails at the DNC (that showed *REAL* corruption) – and even those accusations have been debunked by experts.

So even if Leonard disagrees with my more truth-based views on the hacking, he still provably lied when he said I don’t talk about election hacking. Either he lied or he’s so woefully unfamiliar with my show that he’s hardly seen any of it. Which is worse? Scott Simon then lets this grand lie go unchecked, or Simon doesn’t know that I’ve covered the hacking extensively. Again, which is worse?

STEP EIGHT: Simply call your target evil

Leonard next says, “I think comedy is a superpower. And a very smart person once said, if it can’t be used for evil, it’s not a superpower. And in this case, that’s kind of what I feel is going on.” Yep, my show is clearly being used for evil. A show which tirelessly fights for a more egalitarian and just society – You could hardly find an episode where I’m not covering those issues and giving solutions for how to get there – Such a TV show is using comedy for evil. …Hence the sinister beard and long hair.

STEP NINE: Refuse to have the target on for a live interview

The number one question I’ve gotten about NPR’s attack piece was about this sentence by Simon, “We asked Lee Camp for an interview but couldn’t agree to his ground rules.” Simon is being intentionally vague here. Saying that we couldn’t agree to ground rules makes the listener think I said, “I’ll do an interview but no questions about Russia, and you have to be dressed as a chicken during the entirety of it!” In fact, what Simon doesn’t reveal to his listeners is that I simply said, “I would love to do a live on-air interview.” That is all I said, and I said it repeatedly over email. NPR cannot have me on for a live on-air interview because that would not allow them to cut out all the things they don’t want viewers to know. It would not allow them to redact certain parts and take things out of context. I was told by the producer of Weekend Edition that they rarely do live interviews – which means they do indeed have the capability. I, myself, have an interview show that is never filmed live because it simply doesn’t air live. So I am not opposed to pre-taped interviews played in their entirety, but NPR is not looking for that. If Simon valued honesty, he should’ve stated, “Lee Camp agreed to a live interview, but we were not willing to do that.”

STEP TEN: Bring back the New Cold Warrior faux expert

Julia Ioffe comes back to call me and my team “co-conspirators” and “useful idiots.” (Which is it? Are we conspiring or are we idiots??) She says we are not creating the show “…for the rights and the lives of the little man or the little person. It’s for Putin’s power.” And although I find it hilarious to respond to a moral attack coming from someone spouting talking points on behalf of weapons contractors, I’ll do it anyway. Ioffe is perfectly wrong in her assertion. I’ve been doing politically minded stand-up comedy for nearly 20 years. Long before I ever created Redacted Tonight, I was speaking about the same issues – endless war, gut-wrenching inequality, environmental destruction – all the topics I continue to cover on my show. When I decided to work with RT America, it came down to one simple thought – I don’t believe we have a lot of time to waste. Our world is collapsing around us – for example the earth has lost half its wildlife in the past 40 years. We have to talk about all these issues, which are redacted from our corporate media. We have to provide information to people in new and interesting ways, and I’ve been trying to do that for two decades. Julia Ioffe on the other hand wants to create war, death, and continued destruction while tearing down anyone who dissents.

STEP ELEVEN: One last parting lie – “No one’s watching anyway.”

Scott Simon closes by saying fewer than 30,000 people are likely watching RT America. He says, “That’s not far from the average attendance at a Milwaukee Brewers baseball game.” But one can assume Simon knows he’s lying. Even without factoring in television views, the average episode of Redacted Tonight gets over 30,000 views on YouTube alone, which does not count Facebook and other platforms. Clips from each episode add hundreds of thousands of more views on YouTube. I have recent web exclusive videos that have over 150,000 views each on YouTube. Assuming Simon can do a simple search, he knows he’s misleading his listeners as to how many people watch my show. If he can’t do a YouTube search, it might be time for him to throw in the ol’ crusty “journalism” towel.

If I really wanted to get down in the mud with Simon, I might mention that he has nearly 1.25 Million Twitter followers and yet his tweets – almost without exception – receive between zero and ten retweets. This either means Simon isn’t saying much of value or his 1.25 million followers aren’t listening to him to begin with.

It’s also a bit comical Simon picks Milwaukee as the city to use in his parting jab. Milwaukee also happens to be the home of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, which helps fund NPR and therefore receives glowing segments like this in what seems to be a pay-to-play scenario. Even when corporations are not influencing NPR’s coverage, they are still benefiting from what NPR proudly calls “the halo effect” simply by being an underwriter. Basically NPR brags that they scrub clean the image some of the worst corporations in the world, making them angelic – corporations like ExxonMobil, Goldman Sachs, and Wells Fargo.

Furthermore Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting did a study (“Some Things Considered Mostly By White Men”) that included Weekend Edition and other NPR shows and found that most of the commentary is by white men and in recent years there is less and less political coverage. The lack of political coverage is actually by design. NPR’s job is to cast reality in a pro-corporate pro-war light via two avenues, one is by straight up propaganda, such as hit pieces against dissenting voices – anything outside the corporate unfettered-capitalist paradigm. (I covered this in a recent web exclusive video.) Another avenue is to simply fill the airwaves with useless information that makes us feel smart and comfortable but contributes nothing to informing the population about what is REALLY happening. This is why Scott Simon produces pieces like this one about waiting in line. (It has 9 retweets as of this writing.) If you listen to the piece, he actually could have gone deeper and made the segment meaningful. He could have talked about how our system seeks profit over all else, even over the innately fair process of waiting in line. He could’ve discussed how those ideals then become codified in our cultural mindset, creating an immense level of misery and inequality. …But instead he left it as a weak version of Andy Rooney (which is impressive because I thought Andy Rooney was a weak version of Andy Rooney).

When he does cover politics, Simon has proven to be war hungry. Right now he seems to be Cold War hungry – which could lead to nuclear war. In the past he supported the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In case it was never mentioned on NPR, the Iraq War killed over one million people according to Reuters. Even in 2003 he reassured his listeners that not finding weapons of mass destruction (the entire premise for the war) didn’t really matter that much anyway because the greatest threat to Iraqis was the regime that the U.S. had taken down. (One assumes he doesn’t mean the greatest threat to the million who were killed during our obliteration of their country.) Simon helped manufacture the consent for such a horrific bloodbath, and I wonder whether that sits with him at all.

Since Weekend Edition did a poor job of finding guests who could speak intelligibly on the issues at hand, I did it for them. Author Max Blumenthal said of this segment, “NPR only interviewed neo-Cold Warriors, giving figures with no expertise on Russia a platform to hold forth on Russian meddling, and offering figures with no experience in comedy a platform to criticize Redacted Tonight‘s comedic value. NPR interviewed Lee Camp’s fans but no media professionals from the left who could have offered a nuanced perspective on RT. And they deliberately obscured Camp’s principled left-wing positions by claiming that he bashes the GOP and Democrats equally, with the Dems as a stand in for the living, breathing left social movement that Camp is part of. If anyone is looking for slanted propaganda under the guise of news, look no further than this piece by the semi-official radio outlet of the US government.”

And Scott Dikkers, co-founder and longtime head of The Onion publicly stated to Scott Simon, “I was disappointed you thought it necessary to tar [Lee Camp] as little more than a Putin Stooge. He happens to be a talented and hard-working comedian on the populist/left end of the spectrum.”

This is the second major attack piece on me and my comedy show in recent months, one on NPR and one on the cover of the NY Times Arts section. These smear jobs are similar in nature, and I’m far from the only one experiencing such attacks. Many dissenting voices have been attacked, suppressed, and maligned, and it’s up to those of us who value truth and open debate to stand up and demand better. The good news is that corporate media and the profit-over-people they uphold are right now fighting for their lives, and the only way of maintaining their power is by drumming out those of us calling attention to the reality.

https://leecamp.com/response-to-npr-smear-campaign/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:02 pm

82_28 wrote:I had literally just gotten done reading this and thought for sure you had too, Elvis.

How To Create NPR Propaganda: As Seen In A Hit Piece Against Me

12/20/17
By Lee Camp

Wow—no, I had not seen that, thanks! That is exactly what I'm talking about.

It's like that very frigging week.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Rory » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Lee Camp? Russian agent
Rory

Postby Elvis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Rory » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:11 pm wrote:Lee Camp? Russian agent

You been listening to NPR too much! :rofl2
Elvis

Postby Rory » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 am

Elvis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:26 pm wrote:
Rory » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:11 pm wrote:Lee Camp? Russian agent

You been listening to NPR too much! :rofl2

How funny you should mention that

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/16/57130537 ... ed-tonight

JULIA IOFFE: It's very shrill. I mean, Lee Camp is very shrill.

Well, there you have it. Russian agent, and shrill. Very shrill.
Rory

Postby Jerky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:20 am

Just a point of interest and not restricted to or even particularly targeting Mr Camp, but one needn't be aware that one is an asset to any given entity in order to BE an asset to that entity.

Also, unless we've reached the point where a word can mean whatever the user of said word WANTS it to mean, the National Endowment for Democracy is in no way "fascist".

And finally, if, as Camp would have us believe, any and all attempts at 'public diplomacy’ necessarily equal 'propaganda'... what does that make his show?

Jerky
Jerky

Postby Elvis » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:54 am

Jerky wrote:unless we've reached the point where a word can mean whatever the user of said word WANTS it to mean, the National Endowment for Democracy is in no way "fascist".

We can start an "NED Watch" thread, but I think "fascist" is a fair description. I could make a list of attributes, and they'd add up to a reasonable definition of fascism.
Elvis

Postby Jerky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 am

All I currently know of the NED can be found on the Wikipedia page about them. I'm perfectly willing to read with an open mind any information that you feel would further my education on the topic, if you're willing to direct me there.

J

PS - Merry Christmas!
Jerky

Postby 82_28 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:05 am

Jerky, NPR is fascist and they play the fiddle for an utterly corrupt federal government. I may err on the side of always giving the benefit of the doubt to democrats always, because I perceive them as keeping up the appearances of playing ball in the 70's way. I was born in 70's. My Democrat family, in no way was radical or leftist. In fact, instead of becoming hippies or counter culture after the Vietnam war crime, they just became evangelical, but maintained their left wingish (liberal) ways. What one would consider to be "left wing" now would have been wiltingly too much to bear in a social media powered gossip mill. Pro union, pro church music, pro being in the choir, pro going to church and shit. But always pro media. I don't think they even called it "the media" back then. But who knows? Anyway, there was no light speed meme about you the hour you get up for being who you are the night before. They were just rumors spread among your peers by word of mouth. My grandma got booted from her church for divorcing her husband (I guess my grandfather -- I never met him because he died before I was born.) He might have been hella cool and was just reacting to shit. Who the fuck knows?

People reacted much differently back then to the news as it was fed them. They had nowhere to react, but there was still a strength in independent thought regardless of the media. For some fucking reason, I escaped. Yet the propaganda was just as rife, but with few outlets and with various, lethargic, modes in which to disagree. I guess there was talk radio. Here is my grandma's favorite person in talk radio -- look what happened to him, eh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Berg

Alan Harrison Berg (January 1, 1934 – June 18, 1984) was an American attorney and talk radio show host in Denver, Colorado. Berg was known for his mostly liberal, outspoken viewpoints and confrontational interview style.

On the evening of June 18, 1984, Berg was fatally shot in the driveway of his Denver home by members of the white nationalist group The Order. His provocative talk show sought to flush out "the anti-Semitism latent in the area's conservative population". He succeeded in provoking members of The Order to engage him in conversations on this talk show and his "often-abrasive on-air persona" ignited the anger of The Order. [1][2] Subsequently, members of The Order involved in the killing were identified as being part of a group planning to kill prominent Jews.[3] Ultimately, two members of The Order, David Lane and Bruce Pierce, were convicted on charges of civil rights violations for their involvement in the case, though neither were ever charged or convicted of homicide. Lane and Pierce were sentenced to 190 years and 252 years in prison, respectively. Lane died in prison in 2007 and Pierce died in prison in 2010.

Alan Berg's life and death were chronicled in the book, Talked to Death: The Life and Murder of Alan Berg by Stephen Singular. The book was an inspiration for the films Betrayed and Talk Radio.

I was too young to know shit about this guy. But I tried to because as the child I was (learning language) picking up on it, without the Internet to do a report on him in high school I made all of the phone calls and shit about him but they had no existing recordings of him they would tell me. RI and nor did wikipedia exist in 1994. 20-30 years later, of course someone had it. But back then, they did not and now understanding fielding some phone call about an urgent issue from some high school kid trying to complete a report, I would have given the same answer. I don't fucking know.

In other words, he would have never been hired because "fake news" and social media these days and also "Eight Fifty KOA" became right wing in the late 90s. The right wing is so fucking powerful that they can be anything they want. They are veritable shapeshifters. It is because they are fake as fuck. We have very little to go on that will ever span generations. It used to "seem" NPR could do this. Used to and seem. That is it.

I swore off NPR in 2003, as I would always listen to it when I woke up, when one morning before they were not talking about should we invade Iraq and questioning it, to full blown "coverage". They are totally able to completely jettison ethics and morality on a dime. From that day on, I lost all respect. I will tune in while they are playing jazz though and trapped in a car.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Jerky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:28 am

82_28, I was referring to NED, the National Endowment for Democracy. As for NPR however... complicit in crimes of empire, perhaps. But fascist? No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
Jerky

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:17 am

damn and I so enjoyed over the years Echoes.....World Cafe.....This Modern Life ...Car Talk...Friday Night Blues....Radio Lab I have never listened to NPR for news and didn't realize "National Petroleum Radio" was subverting my music taste or a bit of humor...I feel so used..who knew The Click and Clack Brothers were actually The Fascist Car Guys and I had no idea Friday Night Blues was nothing but propaganda music...thanks for enlightening me and forgive me father for I have sinned

The crazy right wingers are trying really hard to get NPR off the air but for different reasons so all hope is not lost

no worries we will always have Faux News and trump is looking out for that and Sinclair is buying up local stations as fast as they can surely they have their sites on NPR....all the reporters leaving The Wall Street Journal will really help with Murdoch remaking that into Faux News so we are on the road to something ...do not trust your local radio for anything even music but I will really really miss The NED World Cafe

Trump called Murdoch to make sure Disney deal wouldn't affect Fox News: report
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... rM.twitter

soon no one will trust anyone about anything even music/comedy and the war will have been won

and trump is doing his part in making sure that happens ...that is his goal

TURN OFF NPR IT'S MUSIC WILL ROT YOUR BRAIN!

because I am sure no one can take what you want and leave the rest
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Most people I know began obsessively listening to NPR shortly after college; perhaps a desperate attempt to keep some sort of life of the mind going as they entered into the wage-slave system. Many had it on in the background 24/7, myself included. At some point I realized that NPR operates mostly on a basic psychological trick - that some sort of wrought ethical witnessing of the horrors of the distant Global South is itself a form of action.

That listeners are good people because they take the time to actually care. And then find each other at dinner parties by reference to the past week's stories.

There was some moment I can't pin down when I straight up turned it off and I've just never been able to go back. I also hate the fucking wink-nod-smarmy-faux-erudition of their entertainment programming so much at this point. It's always the same ponderous and bizarrely detached pseudo-reflection on this or that secular humanist parable, be it Serial or This American Life or Radio Lab. Obviously every once in awhile I hear some great piece in my car on the weekend, but it's never enough to break the mold.

All that said, I've know alot of people who worked for NPR including at least one who is pretty high profile in the org. But they all share a certain commitment to the idea of a wisened liberal intelligentsia that I just cannot get behind. The ones I know certainly don't love war but they are far more able to accept it as a fact of life than I will ever be able.

Thank god for Pacifica, glaring faults and all.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:36 pm

wow listening to NPR 24/7 .....now that is a problem

I don't see what is wrong with listening to some really good music without being labeled an complete idiot who can't change the channel when the show is over

or the great put down because I like to listen to a few Radio Lab stories :roll:

there are times when I am not connected to the internet and at least I can pick up a few radio stations without spending a dime and intelligent enough to not get indoctrinated ...god snobbery abounds!

How dare I like Old Crow Medicine Show while driving in my car without the advantage of spending the big bucks on Sirius
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Next

Return to General Discussion