Closer to Mars

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Closer to Mars

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:24 am

Every time I see this thread title, I have the music from the Nine Inch Nails song, "Closer," playing in my head, only the chorus becomes "You... get me Closer to Mars!"

apropos of nothing.

or maybe just too on the nose.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

New study shows water may be widespread on the moon...

Widespread distribution of OH/H2O on the lunar surface inferred from spectral data

Remote-sensing data from lunar orbiters have revealed spectral features consistent with the presence of OH or H2O on the lunar surface. Analyses of data from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper spectrometer onboard the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft have suggested that OH/H2O is recycled on diurnal timescales and persists only at high latitudes. However, the spatial distribution and temporal variability of the OH/H2O, as well as its source, remain uncertain.

Here we incorporate a physics-based thermal correction into analysis of reflectance spectra from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper and find that prominent absorption features consistent with OH/H2O can be present at all latitudes, local times and surface types examined. This suggests the widespread presence of OH/H2O on the lunar surface without significant diurnal migration. We suggest that the spectra are consistent with the production of OH in space-weathered materials by the solar wind implantation of H+ and formation of OH at crystal defect sites, as opposed to H2O sourced from the lunar interior. Regardless of the specific composition or formation mechanism, we conclude that OH/H2O can be present on the Moon under thermal conditions more wide-ranging than previously recognized.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-018-0065-0

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby norton ash » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 pm

New study shows water may be widespread on the moon...

Cheese sweat.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:45 am

Elvis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:23 pm wrote:
The Consul wrote:Capitalism, to me, is a form of psychosis.
External reality is defined exclusively in material terms.
That which cannot be monetized has no value.

That right there has immeasurable value. :idea:

That which cannot be monetized has no value, because by its very nature, it's a costly burden to such scrooges to merely acknowledge such an unprofitable sector exists within their markets. Expecting them to reach into their purses for a few coins to towards alleviating suffering otherwise unknown to them, and to them seems tantamount to highway robbery.

Extremely psychotic, Consul.
Iamwhomiam

Postby chump » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:12 pm

A promotion featuring Oprah Winfrey endorsing the new movie, A Wrinkle In Time, was just on the TV (unaviodably on in the room I'm in), when I had a notion to look up the book on Wikipedia, because I vaguely remembered it on the library shelve and being discussed in grade school class - and thought that maybe I had even read it, but couldn't remember what the book was about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time
Plot summary

Thirteen-year-old Meg Murry's classmates and teachers see her as a troublesome and stubborn student. Her family knows that she is emotionally immature but also sees her capable of doing great things. The family includes her beautiful scientist mother, her missing scientist father, her athletic 10-year-old twin brothers, Sandy and Dennys; and her five-year-old brother Charles Wallace Murry, a child prodigy genius who can sometimes read Meg's mind.

The book begins with the line "It was a dark and stormy night," an allusion to the opening words in Edward Bulwer-Lytton's 1830 novel Paul Clifford. Unable to sleep during a thunderstorm, Meg descends from her attic room to find Charles Wallace sitting at the table drinking milk and eating bread and jam. They are then joined by their mother, and are visited by their new eccentric neighbor, Mrs Whatsit. In the course of conversation, Mrs Whatsit casually mentions there is such a thing as a tesseract, which causes Dr. Murry to almost faint.

The next morning, Meg discovers that the term refers to a scientific concept her father was working on before his mysterious disappearance. The following afternoon, Meg and Charles Wallace encounter Meg's schoolmate, Calvin O'Keefe, a high-school junior who, although he is a "big man on campus", considers himself a misfit as well. They then go to visit an old haunted house near town which Charles Wallace already knows is the home of Mrs Whatsit. There they encounter two companions of Mrs Whatsit's, the equally strange Mrs Who and the unseen voice of Mrs Which. She promises that she and her friends will help Meg find and rescue her father. A budding love interest develops between Meg and Calvin. In the evening, Charles Wallace declares it is time for them to go on their mission to save their father. This is accompanied by the appearance of the third member of the "Mrs Ws", Mrs Which, who appears to materialize out of nothing.

Mrs Whatsit, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which turn out to be supernatural beings who transport Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin O'Keefe through the universe by means of tesseract, a fifth-dimensional phenomenon explained as being similar to folding the fabric of space and time. Their first stop is the planet Uriel, a Utopian world filled with Centaur-like beings who live in a state of light and love. Mrs Whatsit herself shows that she, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which are all these centaur-like creatures in disguise as humans. There the "Mrs Ws" reveal to the children that the universe is under attack from an evil being who appears as a large dark cloud called The Black Thing, which is essentially the personification of evil. The children are then taken elsewhere to visit a woman who is a medium (the "Happy Medium") with a crystal ball. In it, they see that Earth is partially covered by the darkness, although great religious figures, philosophers, and artists have been fighting against it. Mrs Whatsit is revealed to be a former star who exploded in an act of self-sacrifice to fight the darkness.

The children then travel to the dark planet of Camazotz, which has "given in" to the Black Thing. Meg's father is trapped there. They find that all the inhabitants behave in a mechanistic way and seem to be under the control of a single mind. At the planet's central headquarters (described as CENTRAL Central Intelligence), they discover a red-eyed man with telepathic abilities who can cast a hypnotic spell over their minds. He claims to know the whereabouts of their father. Charles Wallace deliberately looks into the red eyes of the man, allowing himself to be taken over by the mind controlling planet in order to find their father. Under its influence, he takes Meg and Calvin to the place where Dr. Murry is being held prisoner because he would not succumb to the group mind.

The planet turns out to be controlled by an evil disembodied brain with powerful abilities, which the inhabitants of Camazotz call "IT." Charles Wallace takes them to the place where IT is held. In such proximity to IT, the children are threatened by a possible telepathic takeover of their minds. With special powers from Mrs Who's glasses, Dr. Murry is able to "tesser" Calvin, Meg and himself away from Camazotz, but Charles Wallace is left behind, still under the influence of IT. Dr. Murry does not know how to protect Meg from the Black Thing which surrounds the planet as they tesser through it, which nearly kills her. When they arrive on the neighboring planet of Ixchel, Meg is nearly frozen, and paralyzed. Calvin and the Murrys are discovered by the planet's inhabitants - large, sightless "beasts" with tentacles and four arms, who prove both wise and gentle. Meg's paralysis is cured under the care of one inhabitant, whom Meg nicknames "Aunt Beast." Meg overcomes her anger at her father for leaving Charles Wallace on Camazotz, realizing that parents can't fix everything, and sometimes children can solve problems themselves.

Then the trio of Mrs Whatsit, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which arrive. They charge Meg with rescuing Charles Wallace from IT, because only Meg has a strong enough bond with him. Their father had last seen Charles Wallace when he was a baby and Calvin had only just met him. They each give her a gift. Mrs Whatsit gives Meg her love. Mrs Who quotes to Meg a passage from the Bible about God choosing the foolish of the world to confound the wise, and the weak to defeat the strong (1st Corinthians 1:27-29). Mrs Which tells Meg that she has one thing that IT does not have. Upon arriving at the building where IT is housed, Charles Wallace is still there under IT's influence. Meg realizes that the one thing she has that IT does not is love. She focuses all her love at Charles Wallace and is able to free him from IT's control. Mrs Who, Mrs Which and Mrs Whatsit tesser the Murrys and Calvin back to Earth. In the vegetable garden they are reunited with Dr. Murry and the twins. Mrs Whatsit says that, although she and the others like the spectacle of the family reuniting, they have to go somewhere. Before Mrs Whatsit finishes her sentence, she and the others disappear...
chump

Postby The Consul » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:45 pm wrote:
Elvis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:23 pm wrote:
The Consul wrote:Capitalism, to me, is a form of psychosis.
External reality is defined exclusively in material terms.
That which cannot be monetized has no value.

That right there has immeasurable value. :idea:

That which cannot be monetized has no value, because by its very nature, it's a costly burden to such scrooges to merely acknowledge such an unprofitable sector exists within their markets. Expecting them to reach into their purses for a few coins to towards alleviating suffering otherwise unknown to them, and to them seems tantamount to highway robbery.

Extremely psychotic, Consul.

True enough, I suppose. Among The creatures of wealth I have known, there are a few who are generous and genuinely deep hearted. But for the most part they only want to be generous when they feel like it, and at their own whim, and according to their particular view of what society should be about, and what the social circle they float in requires. How the rich I knew measured money was different than how I did. Mine was measured in the cost of a six pack of Lucky a dcarton of Camels and a pair of Spanish boots. Their's was measured in Mercedes, nose jobs and charter sail cruises (odd since the crew save for the captain was all volunteer, they just wanted to sail. The younger part of family got bored
. Hating them is as easy to do as it is useless.They're mostly born into it, except for the Type A's who work their asses off in a three way race with their own capacity, their quest for success and desire to outrun their guilt. Philanthropy, sadly, is too often a status symbol. Occasionally revenge.

Still, I think we are doomed if we don't evolve out of capitalism and I can't imagine what kind of singularity would bring that out other than a cataclysm the species barely survives.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Cordelia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 am

Alberto Vangelista: Lone astronaut on Mars

Mars Poetica

Imagine you’re on Mars, looking at earth,
a swirl of colors in the distance.
Tell us what you miss most, or least.

Let your feelings rise to the surface.
Skim that surface with a tiny net.
Now you’re getting the hang of it.

Tell us your story slantwise,
streetwise, in the disguise
of an astronaut in his suit.

Tell us something we didn’t know
before: how words mean things
we didn’t know we knew.

~ Wyn Cooper ~
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Burnt Hill » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Did Fukushima inoculate us?

BenDhyan wrote:We might have figured out how to make ourselves resistant to space radiation
Burnt Hill

Postby BenDhyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 pm

^ I'm sure they have learned heaps. "Scientists are even conducting experiments to express radioresistant genes already in the body and grow radioresistant tissue that could replace damaged tissue."

This is interesting.... "It may even be possible to transfer certain traits from tardigrades to human DNA."
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Cordelia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:08 pm

I believe 'we' (partially) originated from beyond this planet anyway. I think Zecharia Sitchin figured it out in his analysis of the Sumerian Tablets, and if space travel is in our genes, fuck it, it's inevitable-- it’s in our DNA (some of us more than others obviously; not mine).

They returned when Earth was more populated and genetically interfered in our indigenous DNA to create a slave-race to work their mines, farms, and other enterprises in Sumeria, which was the so-called Cradle of Civilization in out-dated pre-1980s school history texts. They created Man, Homo Sapiens, through genetic manipulation with themselves and ape man Homo Erectus.”

― Zecharia Sitchin

Maybe The Moon & Mars are just stop-overs on our way back to Nibiru (if Earth and Nibiru don’t collide soon, as predicted, but that belongs in another thread). Whenever, where ever, hopefully we won’t destroy native fauna and flora.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby chump » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... rs-/#close

There's Only One Way For Humanity to Survive. Go To Mars.

Futurist Michio Kaku sees humans doing ballet on Mars and projecting their brains into the cosmos. And aliens? Oh, they're coming.

The only way for humans to survive is to colonize at least one other planet, possibly Mars, says futurist Michio Kaku.

As a child in Palo Alto, California, he built an atom smasher in the garage. He later became one of the founders of string theory. Today, with his flowing mane of silver locks, Michio Kaku is one of the most recognizable faces of science, with several bestselling books and numerous television appearances, including on the Discovery Channel and the BBC.

In his new book, The Future Of Humanity, he argues passionately that our future lies not on Earth, but in the stars.

When National Geographic caught up with him by phone at his office at City College, in New York City, he explained how billionaires like Elon Musk are transforming space travel; why laser porting may be the best way to reach other galaxies; and how one day there may be ballet dancers on Mars.

... con'd
chump

Postby 82_28 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 am

Elon Musk Says SpaceX’s Mars Rocket Could Launch in Early 2019

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said a rocket that’s intended to put humans on Mars could launch in early 2019.

“We are building the first ship, the first Mars or interplanetary ship, right now,” Musk told screenwriter Jonathan Nolan on stage at the South By Southwest conference in Austin Sunday. “I think we’ll be able to do short flights, short up and down flights, sometime in the first half of next year.”

That timeline is surprisingly aggressive, and Musk admits that “historically people have told me my timelines have been optimistic.” The Falcon Heavy’s first launch was pushed back several times, and the Mars rocket is several times larger and more complex. The most that the public has seen of the rocket at this point is a design concept and a massive carbon-fiber fuel tank.

The rocket is currently code named BFR, of which Musk said: “It’s a bit of a Rorschach test in acronym form. [But] it is very big.”

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

However optimistic the timeline, the BFR’s first test flights would just be a preview of an actual crewed trip to Mars. SpaceX’s most recent plan has humans actually heading to Mars in 2022.

Musk predicts that the first flights of the ship will unleash a flood of energy from other shipbuilders. “Once we have it, we’ll have a sort of point of proof, something that other countries and companies will go and do.” Musk says that he expects those other entities to eventually build interplanetary transport vehicles of their own.

Musk also reiterated that he sees SpaceX’s role as simply creating the pathway to Mars, and that he hopes entrepreneurs will build much of the infrastructure of a future Mars colony, including everything from “iron foundries to pizza joints to nightclubs.” He also speculated that “most likely, the form of government on Mars would be somewhat of a direct democracy,” in which residents would vote directly on particular issues.

http://fortune.com/2018/03/11/elon-musk ... -timeline/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby BenDhyan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:44 am

For the crater good: ESA shares incredible, never-before-seen view of icy Martian canyon

3 Jul, 2020

The ESA has shared an incredible piece of footage, painstakingly reconstructed, showcasing Mars’ mighty Korolev crater, a likely future source of water for human colonists, should we ever make it there.

The remarkable video is actually a moving mosaic which combined scans of the surface of the planet with topographical data, captured by a high resolution stereo camera on board the Mars Express probe, to produce a 3D landscape.

The video was produced with a resolution of 21 meters per pixel and shows the full extent of the 82km wide (50 mile) Korolev crater in the northern lowlands of Mars. The crater is filled with ice all year round as its floor is two kilometers (1.2 miles) below its rim, making it a natural cold trap which shields the ice from the elements.

The Mars Express orbiter mission launched on June 2, 2003, reaching the Red Planet six months later and beaming back incredible images of the planet ever since. It is the second-longest-surviving, continually active spacecraft in orbit around an alien world, second only to NASA’s 2001 Mars Odyssey.

The crater itself was named in honor of chief Soviet rocket engineer and spacecraft designer Sergei Pavlovich Korolev (1907-1966), dubbed the father of Russian space technology for his contributions to the R7 Russian intercontinental rocket.

Korolev’s designs put Sputnik in orbit in 1957 and sent Yuri Gagarin into space in 1961, and now future generations of spacefarers and explorers are beaming back images of the Martian crater which bears his name, in stunning detail worthy of his great achievement.

https://www.rt.com/news/493661-flight-mars-korolev-crater-esa/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Closer to Mars.. while increasingly removed from reality back home.

Zeno would know. Take the distance to Mars, cut it in half, and then again. And again. That's what's happening here:
Bold assurance that we're one step closer, and yet, we remain so far away (physically, mentally, spiritually... and despite proclamations otherwise: technically).

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/ZenosParadoxes.html
Belligerent Savant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion