Closer to Mars

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Closer to Mars

Postby DrEvil » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Governments will start dumping gold when asteroid mining is viable and the prices crash. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chump » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:46 pm

by C_D Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:06 pm
cont. from above

The talk of colonising space is a joke. Literally. This reality has given us such a clearly defined and absolutely obvious boundary that we cannot cross - into that which we call 'space' - the most poisonous environment imagineable for any biological creature. If it were possible to establish outposts in space - which it will not be, in any meaningful way - we would find that humans become exponentaiily infertile with increasing distance from Planet Earth. There is nothing out there for us, we have to make do with what we have here.

But we have to dream, right?

tbc
chump

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:23 pm

^^^^ It must really suck being stuck on a flat earth, waiting in fear for jesus' decision, heaven or hell.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:26 pm wrote:.

Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:23 pm wrote:When governments dump tons of gold on the market the goldbugs will be in tears watching the value of their $1500 ounces plummet to $35.

If the internet goes down, good luck cashing in on your bitcoin holdings. Same is true regarding plastic should it replace cash.

We should be creating our own local currencies for our local markets, as well as creating an alternate replacement for the post office and mail delivery in our local regions. Mars is a very expensive toy for scientists to play with.

I missed this earlier.

"When governments dump tons of gold on the market" -- when do you anticipate that would happen? Are there any indicators that it will happen anytime soon, if ever? I note there is speculation that govts may sell their Gold stores, particularly given current circumstances, but this remains a speculative take. Anything is possible in these times, however.

"If the internet goes down" -- and would that impact only Bitcoin? Also, for how long? Are you suggesting that the internet would go down 'forever'? Because even if it goes down for an entire week, for example, nothing happens to the Bitcoin. It will remain where it is, to be accessible once the 'internet' is up and running again. The Bitcoin market would drop, surely, but it wouldn't be the first time, and it wouldn't be surprising to see it push back up again in time.

Now, if you're implying the internet would go down FOREVER, such a scenario would impact currencies (and businesses) broadly in our already largely cashless society. Commerce and markets would collapse. Eventually to be built anew, of course, but fortunes and livelihoods would be lost across the board, regardless of Bitcoin ownership.

Sometimes you think too much, BS.

You ask, "...if ever?" and then you "note there is speculation that govts may sell their Gold stores..."
It's my intuition, which might seem like speculation. Surely, the speculators you mention, those doing the speculation you've taken note of, get paid for their analytical skills.

I was putting forth a worst case scenario. I wouldn't say I'm anticipating the dumping of gold by governments, just that I expect it to happen. Quite like you've imagined, for those reasons, and perhaps to buy weaponry. When is anyone's guess. Certainly a few years future, and not sooner, by my thinking. A couple of years of drought and famine and a few localized water wars here and there; maybe then.

Yes, that's my implication. Perhaps I should have used "disappeared?" Without access to the internet, bitcoin and other similar currency investors investments would be irreconcilably lost. Same with plastic, same with money in banks - gone! Cash on hand.

Btw, I would advise buying gold in grams, if you feel it's safe to invest in. A few ounces that you can keep on hand, with cash ~ just in case.

We're really heading into uncharted territory. If it's been charted, god help us all.

:backtotopic:
Iamwhomiam

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:21 pm wrote:
Sometimes you think too much, BS.

Guilty as charged.

Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:21 pm wrote:
We're really heading into uncharted territory. If it's been charted, god help us all.

:backtotopic:

Indeed.

And yes, back to the prospect of humans on Mars.
(Though it'd be good to find a place for the money-related chatter).
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:36 pm

chump » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:46 am wrote:

by C_D Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:06 pm
cont. from above

The talk of colonising space is a joke. Literally. This reality has given us such a clearly defined and absolutely obvious boundary that we cannot cross - into that which we call 'space' - the most poisonous environment imagineable for any biological creature. If it were possible to establish outposts in space - which it will not be, in any meaningful way - we would find that humans become exponentaiily infertile with increasing distance from Planet Earth. There is nothing out there for us, we have to make do with what we have here.

But we have to dream, right?

tbc

He's not even posting here anymore ,and he's still the dumbest person on this board. He's one of the most scientifically illiterate people I've ever come across, to the point where he doesn't believe in things that most people had demonstrated to them in high school or earlier (quantum physics, double slit experiment) and thinks scientific papers are made up because he doesn't understand the titles. Anything he has to say on anything involving science is worthless, including this post.

Where did he get the idea that infertility increases exponentially with distance from Earth? It doesn't make any sense. Why would distance from Earth be relevant? You get outside Earth's protection and that's it. Radiation doesn't keep increasing with distance after that.

And how does he know it will be impossible to expand beyond Earth? Again, he doesn't, he's just making shit up. No one knows how hard it will be to gain a foothold because we haven't even tried yet, but as usual he's already made up his mind and that means it's a fact.
DrEvil

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:45 pm

It takes three years to reach Mars. When our first martians land, they will have lost a tremendous amount of bone loss and won't be able to walk. Good luck. The radiation they'll be exposed to will shorten their lives, too.* Earth is good, as long as there are no biological or other bombs going off.

* https://tinyurl.com/yynexr5a

Edited to add footnoted link
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:02 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote:It takes three years to reach Mars.

Point of fact...
The trip takes around seven months; a bit longer than astronauts currently stay on the International Space Station.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Oh! Thanks. I wonder where that came from? !!

I suppose this makes my earlier remarks entirely irrelevant.
Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Maybe you were thinking of the launch window to Mars which comes around every two years (26 months to be specific)?

And yeah, radiation and bone loss are big hurdles that can both impact fertility, but not on an exponential scale as c_d claims. If that was the case everyone would be sterile halfway to Mars.
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:02 pm

If that was the case everyone would be sterile halfway to Mars.

Not that I'm staking a position one way or another on this (since I've performed zero research on the specific claim), but the above quoted bit reads like we have case samples/test results to draw from.

Unless i've missed a critical memo, have humans traversed beyond Earth's outer orbit (or beyond the Van Allen belts) since our reported Moon landings over ~45 yrs ago?
Belligerent Savant

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:47 pm

DrEvil » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:03 pm wrote:Maybe you were thinking of the launch window to Mars which comes around every two years (26 months to be specific)?

And yeah, radiation and bone loss are big hurdles that can both impact fertility, but not on an exponential scale as c_d claims. If that was the case everyone would be sterile halfway to Mars.

Thanks DrEvil. Maybe so. My mind's been floating around in space a lot lately.

My rigor got mortised and my intuition decided to strike.

My thanks to Elvis for not slapping me silly!
Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Belligerent Savant » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:02 pm wrote:.

Not that I'm staking a position one way or another on this (since I've performed zero research on the specific claim), but the above quoted bit reads like we have case samples/test results to draw from.

Unless i've missed a critical memo, have humans traversed beyond Earth's outer orbit (or beyond the Van Allen belts) since our reported Moon landings over ~45 yrs ago?

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be taken as a statement of fact, merely an observation on how silly it is to claim infertility increases exponentially with distance from Earth, a) exactly because we don't have any case samples or test results, and b) because beyond Earth's influence distance has nothing to do with it. The more relevant measure would be time.

And no, as far as I know no one has been beyond Earth orbit since the moon landings (unless the X-37 has been sending ambassadors or something). Hopefully that will change in the near future.
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Indeed, that's the hope shared by many.

Curious factoid, though, isn't it? No humans traversed beyond the Van Allen belts since the last reported Moon landings in the early 70s.

Surely the next 10-20 yrs will change all that. Otherwise the scrutiny Re: historical accounts of space travel will only increase.
Belligerent Savant

Postby BenDhyan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Belligerent Savant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:02 am wrote:.

c_d's understanding is a little more skeptical about the possibility of humans surviving beyond the planet than others here, he believes that planet Earth is the only place in the universe that is capable of producing biological life, therefore the further the distance from life's epicenter, the less likelihood life has of surviving. :shock:
Ben D
BenDhyan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion