A Little About Caitlin Johnstone.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: A Little About Caitlin Johnstone.

Postby Sounder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 am

Didn't Caitlin get the memo.

now all 'leftists' must support globalism, because you know, getting rid of nation states will allow transnational corporations to make all the rules, and that is going to be really, really good for the proletariat.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:33 am

Strawman much?

Even 'leftists' that support getting rid of nation states are not so naive to believe allowing transnational corporations to make all the rules will be really, really good for the proletariat.

Can you argue for or against something without complete misrepresentation of your perceived opponents?
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Sounder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 am

Even 'leftists' that support getting rid of nation states are not so naive to believe allowing transnational corporations to make all the rules will be really, really good for the proletariat.

Gee, no kidding. Did I need green font? Anyway what is being said behind those words is that the 'No Borders' crowd is doing the work of and for transnational corporations. Perhaps that is a thing that they are too naive to understand.

Can you argue for or against something without complete misrepresentation of your perceived opponents?

Are you suggesting that AD is not a supporter of Globalism? Or that Globalism will not provide advantages for trans-national corporations?

Also your comment is funny given that misrepresentation is about all that happens to Caitlin coming from her opponents.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm not suggesting anything other than what I specifically said.

Yes, you should use a green font, or just speak more clearly in the first place instead of spewing nonsense in an effort to make your point.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby elfismiles » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Morty » 19 Feb 2018 09:01 wrote:

Links in original.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Morty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Morty

Postby Morty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Sounder wrote:Didn't Caitlin get the memo.

now all 'leftists' must support globalism, because you know, getting rid of nation states will allow transnational corporations to make all the rules, and that is going to be really, really good for the proletariat.

That's where a vast swathe of the US left seems to be at at the moment - they'd joyously throw open the borders just to spite Trump, and they'd think they'd won a great victory by doing so.
Morty

Postby Sounder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 pm

That's where a vast swathe of the US left seems to be at at the moment - they'd joyously throw open the borders just to spite Trump, and they'd think they'd won a great victory by doing so.

You may be on to something Morty. The deep state treats the politicians as the peons they are, screw Hillary, Trump produces the synergy needed to reunite progressives and the MSM warmongering narrative that produces the refugees.

I don't tend to follow individual writers much, but assume that Caitlin Johnstone is good folk because she is worthy of being targeted by establishment stooges.
mentalgongfu2 wrote...
just speak more clearly in the first place instead of spewing nonsense in an effort to make your point.

'just' assumes that this is all there is to be said on the matter, it is a stupid word.

I try to make my points in many ways, mostly to no avail, perhaps sometimes I do resort to desperate measures.
Sounder

Postby Jerky » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I don't think "globalism" translates to "throwing open the borders" in this case, Morty. I think it refers to "business" globalism, the idea of free and open trade between nation states, and not immigration issues.

Do you have any specific thoughts about DACA? Like, what's YOUR position re: immigration and related issues?

J.
Jerky

Postby SonicG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Whither the Internationale ?
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

Jerky wrote:I don't think "globalism" translates to "throwing open the borders" in this case, Morty. I think it refers to "business" globalism, the idea of free and open trade between nation states, and not immigration issues.

Do you have any specific thoughts about DACA? Like, what's YOUR position re: immigration and related issues?

J.

The world view of the Resistance implies the existence of "shitholes," but the Resistance is so steeped in hypocrisy and muddled thinking, they eagerly feign horror and offence when Trump uses the term. There are plenty of shithole countries out there*, and you can't begrudge people the dream of making a better life for themselves in the USA. This is the Resistance view, in short.

My view is akin to the safety advice they give you on airlines - put the oxygen mask on yourself before you worry about putting masks on your kids/loved ones/the stranger sitting across the aisle. You've got to maintain the integrity of your nation, otherwise it won't remain a place immigrants clamour to arrive at.

When laws are stupid, I'm normally among the first to suggest that people ignore them. Like pot laws, for example. But I don't see how immigration laws can wholesale fit into the category of "laws that should be broken if they are stupid." I'm happy for people to try to break immigration laws if they think they are stupid, but it seems ludicrous for (half of) a whole society to expect (as seems to be the case in the USA) that the actual laws on the books shouldn't be followed.

The only way the ideals touched on in the Internationale can ever be arrived at is if the "shithole" countries are allowed to transform themselves into altogether desirable places to be, so the emphasis will no longer be on escaping from less desirable places. So that for every person who wants to escape from a place, there will be a person who wants to escape to that place. That won't happen by letting all the "dreamers" pursue their dreams elsewhere, in non-shitty or marginally less shitty countries. All the latter will do is turn non-shitty countries into shitholes. And my argument here has nothing to do with ethnicities and everything to do with economics. I saw a story today about some US truck drivers working 20 hour days and taking home less than a dollar an hour, "many of them poor immigrants." Deregulation, unions a distant memory from another era.

DACA? (I'm not very familiar with the issue, and I've never even visited the USA, but since you ask...) I don't think there is any need to retrospectively make hitherto legal people illegal, but more broadly, I wouldn't begrudge nations the right to deny citizenship to locally born children of non-citizens. In fact I'd half expect it. DACA is a problem that occurs when the real problems have been left unaddressed for decade after decade.

*And the US should know it, since they've contributed so much to making so many of them in some measure worthy of the label.
Morty

Postby stefano » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

Morty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 pm wrote:DACA? (I'm not very familiar with the issue, and I've never even visited the USA, but since you ask...) I don't think there is any need to retrospectively make hitherto legal people illegal, but more broadly, I wouldn't begrudge nations the right to deny citizenship to locally born children of non-citizens. In fact I'd half expect it. DACA is a problem that occurs when the real problems have been left unaddressed for decade after decade.

That's not what DACA's about. US-born citizens of foreigners (legal or illegal) are US citizens, that's in the constitution. The DACA people were born abroad, then migrated to the US as children illegally and have since lived inoffensive lives and ticked some boxes (have studied or been in the army, no felonies etc.)

I think they should gain citizenship since they have all been in the US for 10 years or more, and all plan to stay. These are the criteria for citizenship in most places. I think it's only deserved.

Of course the debate isn't about right and wrong, it's about votes. The Dems want these people to vote because they're Hispanic, Arab and black city-dwellers, who can typically be expected to vote Dem; the GOP doesn't want them to vote for the same reason. Both sides, and their owners, understand that America needs illegal migration to sustain economic growth and so investment gains, and they want that. But they want migrants to remain a sub-class, people who provide labour and taxes without demanding political rights in return. 'Taxation without representation,' they called it in a more idealistic century. The function of ICE isn't to deport a whole lot of illegals, enough to affect the labour force - it is to make all illegals fear deportation at any moment and so keep their heads down, mouths shut and expectations modest.
stefano

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks, stefano. I should have googled.
Morty

Previous

Return to General Discussion